Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Santiago, Santiago Metropolitan, Chile
Locale: Santiago, Santiago Metropolitan, Chile
- Sanchez M, Ceci M, Gutiérrez D, Anguita Salinas C, Allende M. Mechanosensory organ regeneration in zebrafish depends on a population of multipotent progenitor cells kept latent by Schwann cells. BMC Biol. 2016;14:27 pubmed publisher..This simple yet highly effective two-component niche offers the animal robust mechanisms for organ growth and regeneration, which can be sustained throughout life. ..
- Oteiza P, Köppen M, Krieg M, Pulgar E, Farias C, Melo C, et al. Planar cell polarity signalling regulates cell adhesion properties in progenitors of the zebrafish laterality organ. Development. 2010;137:3459-68 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a novel role for PCP-dependent cell adhesion in coordinating the supracellular organisation of progenitor cells during vertebrate laterality organ formation. ..
- Sanhueza D, Montoya A, Sierralta J, Kukuljan M. Expression of voltage-activated calcium channels in the early zebrafish embryo. Zygote. 2009;17:131-5 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CaV may have a role in calcium homeostasis and control of cellular process during early embryonic development. ..
- Hernandez P, Olivari F, Sarrazin A, Sandoval P, Allende M. Regeneration in zebrafish lateral line neuromasts: expression of the neural progenitor cell marker sox2 and proliferation-dependent and-independent mechanisms of hair cell renewal. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:637-54 pubmed..Thus, our results describe the dynamics of hair cell regeneration in zebrafish and suggest the existence of at least two mechanisms for recovery of these cells in neuromasts. ..
- Aybar M, Mayor R. Early induction of neural crest cells: lessons learned from frog, fish and chick. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2002;12:452-8 pubmed..We compare here the early inductive molecular mechanisms in different organisms and, despite observed differences, propose a general common model for NC induction. ..
- Villablanca E, Renucci A, Sapede D, Lec V, Soubiran F, Sandoval P, et al. Control of cell migration in the zebrafish lateral line: implication of the gene "tumour-associated calcium signal transducer," tacstd. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1578-88 pubmed..Inactivation of the zebrafish tacstd gene results in a decrease in proneuromast deposition, suggesting that tacstd is required for the deposition process. ..
- San Martín R, Hurtado W, Quezada C, Reyes A, Vera M, Krauskopf M. Gene structure and seasonal expression of carp fish prolactin short receptor isoforms. J Cell Biochem. 2007;100:970-80 pubmed..These have been found in osmoregulatory tissues of the carp and are regulated in connection with the seasonal acclimatization of the fish. ..
- Fuentes E, Pino K, Navarro C, Delgado I, Valdés J, Molina A. Transient inactivation of myostatin induces muscle hypertrophy and overcompensatory growth in zebrafish via inactivation of the SMAD signaling pathway. J Biotechnol. 2013;168:295-302 pubmed publisher..The mix of both strategies may represent a method that could be applied in order to improve growth in commercial fish of interest for aquaculture. ..
- Colombo A, Reig G, Mione M, Concha M. Zebrafish BarH-like genes define discrete neural domains in the early embryo. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:347-52 pubmed
- Fernandez J, Fuentes R. Fixation/permeabilization: new alternative procedure for immunofluorescence and mRNA in situ hybridization of vertebrate and invertebrate embryos. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:503-17 pubmed publisher..It is hypothesized that short C-chain aliphatic carboxylic acids modulate the cross-linking effect of aldehyde fixatives on cell proteins. ..
- Feijóo C, Manzanares M, de la Calle Mustienes E, Gomez Skarmeta J, Allende M. The Irx gene family in zebrafish: genomic structure, evolution and initial characterization of irx5b. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:277-84 pubmed..In total there are 11 existing Irx genes in zebrafish and 10 in pufferfish. We propose a new nomenclature for the zebrafish Irx genes based on the analysis of their sequences and their genomic relationships. ..
- Tribulo C, Aybar M, Nguyen V, Mullins M, Mayor R. Regulation of Msx genes by a Bmp gradient is essential for neural crest specification. Development. 2003;130:6441-52 pubmed publisher..We propose a model where a gradient of Bmp activity specifies the expression of Msx genes in the neural folds, and that this expression is essential for the early specification of the neural crest...
- Albornoz A, Yáñez J, Foerster C, Aguirre C, Pereiro L, Burzio V, et al. The CK1 gene family: expression patterning in zebrafish development. Biol Res. 2007;40:251-66 pubmed..This is the first time that a detailed comparison of the expression of CK1 family genes is directly assessed in a vertebrate system throughout development. ..
- Young R, Reyes A, Allende M. Expression and splice variant analysis of the zebrafish tcf4 transcription factor. Mech Dev. 2002;117:269-73 pubmed..There is also transient expression in the anterior rhombomeres of the hindbrain and in the developing gut. ..
- Colombo A, Palma K, Armijo L, Mione M, Signore I, Morales C, et al. Daam1a mediates asymmetric habenular morphogenesis by regulating dendritic and axonal outgrowth. Development. 2013;140:3997-4007 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Daam1a plays a key role in asymmetric habenular morphogenesis mediating the growth of dendritic and axonal processes in dorsal habenular neurons. ..
- Hedrera M, Galdames J, Jimenez Reyes M, Reyes A, Avendaño Herrera R, Romero J, et al. Soybean meal induces intestinal inflammation in zebrafish larvae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69983 pubmed publisher..These findings support the use of zebrafish screening assays to identify novel ingredients that would to improved current fish diets or would formulate new ones. ..
- Rojas Rivera D, Armisen R, Colombo A, Martinez G, Eguiguren A, Diaz A, et al. TMBIM3/GRINA is a novel unfolded protein response (UPR) target gene that controls apoptosis through the modulation of ER calcium homeostasis. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:1013-26 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the existence of a conserved group of functionally related cell death regulators across species beyond the BCL-2 family of proteins operating at the ER membrane. ..
- Milla L, Cortés C, Hodar C, Oñate M, Cambiazo V, Burgess S, et al. Yeast-based assay identifies novel Shh/Gli target genes in vertebrate development. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:2 pubmed publisher..A recently described yeast-based screening allowed us to identify new Hh/Gli target genes, functionally important in different contexts of vertebrate embryonic development. ..
- Signore I, Guerrero N, Loosli F, Colombo A, Villalón A, Wittbrodt J, et al. Zebrafish and medaka: model organisms for a comparative developmental approach of brain asymmetry. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:991-1003 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings highlight the usefulness of zebrafish and medaka as comparative models to study the developmental mechanisms of epithalamic asymmetry in vertebrates. ..
- Allende M, Manzanares M, Tena J, Feijóo C, Gomez Skarmeta J. Cracking the genome's second code: enhancer detection by combined phylogenetic footprinting and transgenic fish and frog embryos. Methods. 2006;39:212-9 pubmed..Finally, for some of the most conserved elements, we have been able to identify a critical core sequence, essential for correct enhancer function. ..
- Burzio V, Antonelli M, Allende C, Allende J. Biochemical and cellular characteristics of the four splice variants of protein kinase CK1alpha from zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Cell Biochem. 2002;86:805-14 pubmed..The "L" insert-containing variant was also found to be more rapidly degraded (half-life of 100 min) than the CK1alpha variant (half-life of 400 min) in transfected Cos-7 cells. ..
- Espina J, Feijóo C, Solís C, Glavic A. csrnp1a is necessary for the development of primitive hematopoiesis progenitors in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53858 pubmed publisher..These and previous observations suggest an important role of Csnrps transcription factors in progenitor biology, both in the neural and hematopoietic linages. ..
- Bustos V, Marin O, Meggio F, Cesaro L, Allende C, Allende J, et al. Generation of protein kinase Ck1alpha mutants which discriminate between canonical and non-canonical substrates. Biochem J. 2005;391:417-24 pubmed..These data provide a molecular insight into the structural features that underlie the site specificity of CK1a and disclose the possibility of developing strategies for the preferential targeting of subsets of CK1 substrates. ..
- Feijóo C, Sarrazin A, Allende M, Glavic A. Cystein-serine-rich nuclear protein 1, Axud1/Csrnp1, is essential for cephalic neural progenitor proliferation and survival in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2034-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence as to the role of axud1 in brain growth in vertebrates. ..
- Sarrazin A, Villablanca E, Nuñez V, Sandoval P, Ghysen A, Allende M. Proneural gene requirement for hair cell differentiation in the zebrafish lateral line. Dev Biol. 2006;295:534-45 pubmed..We propose that the emergence of two atonal homologs, ath1 and ngn1, allowed the cellular segregation of mechanoreception and signal transmission that were originally performed by a single cell type as found in insects. ..
- Olivari F, Hernandez P, Allende M. Acute copper exposure induces oxidative stress and cell death in lateral line hair cells of zebrafish larvae. Brain Res. 2008;1244:1-12 pubmed publisher..The study of this process in the zebrafish lateral line allows rapid morphological analysis of hair cell death and may be used as an efficient end point for molecule screens aimed at preventing these effects. ..
- Antonelli M, Daniotti J, Rojo D, Allende C, Allende J. Cloning, expression and properties of the alpha' subunit of casein kinase 2 from zebrafish (Danio rerio). Eur J Biochem. 1996;241:272-9 pubmed..rerio) and alpha (X. laevis), however the activity levels with alpha' were stimulated 20-fold by beta while the addition of beta stimulated alpha (X. laevis) only 7-8-fold. ..