Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Locale: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Evans T, Belak Z, Ovsenek N, Krone P. Heat shock factor 1 is required for constitutive Hsp70 expression and normal lens development in embryonic zebrafish. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2007;146:131-40 pubmed..These data also suggest that HSF1 and HSF2 play distinct roles in non-mammalian vertebrates, similarly to what has been demonstrated previously in mouse. ..
- Korbas M, Blechinger S, Krone P, Pickering I, George G. Localizing organomercury uptake and accumulation in zebrafish larvae at the tissue and cellular level. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12108-12 pubmed publisher..This novel approach is a powerful tool for directly investigating the molecular toxicology of heavy metals, and should be equally applicable to the study of a wide range of elements in developing embryos. ..
- Swan C, Evans T, Sylvain N, Krone P. Zebrafish HSF4: a novel protein that shares features of both HSF1 and HSF4 of mammals. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2012;17:623-37 pubmed publisher..This, together with the lack of an observable phenotype following morpholino-based antisense knockdown of hsf4, suggests that zHSF4 is unlikely to play a role in regulating early embryonic lens development. ..
- MacKay A, Mhanni A, McGowan R, Krone P. Immunological detection of changes in genomic DNA methylation during early zebrafish development. Genome. 2007;50:778-85 pubmed..Although zebrafish sperm DNA is strongly methylated, the zebrafish genome is not detectably methylated through cleavage and early blastula stages but is heavily remethylated in blastula and early gastrula stages. ..
- Dolgova N, Hackett M, MacDonald T, Nehzati S, James A, Krone P, et al. Distribution of selenium in zebrafish larvae after exposure to organic and inorganic selenium forms. Metallomics. 2016;8:305-12 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that pigmented tissues might serve as a storage reservoir for selenium. ..
- Krone P, Lele Z, Sass J. Heat shock genes and the heat shock response in zebrafish embryos. Biochem Cell Biol. 1997;75:487-97 pubmed..The data raise a number of interesting questions regarding the function and regulation of these heat shock genes in zebrafish embryos during normal development and following exposure to environmental stress. ..
- Lele Z, Engel S, Krone P. hsp47 and hsp70 gene expression is differentially regulated in a stress- and tissue-specific manner in zebrafish embryos. Dev Genet. 1997;21:123-33 pubmed..The results suggest the presence of different inducible regulatory mechanisms for these genes which operate in a cell- and stress-specific manner in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Sass J, Weinberg E, Krone P. Specific localization of zebrafish hsp90 alpha mRNA to myoD-expressing cells suggests a role for hsp90 alpha during normal muscle development. Mech Dev. 1996;54:195-204 pubmed..The expression patterns strongly suggest that the hsp90 alpha gene plays a specific role in the normal process of myogenesis in addition to providing protection to all cells of the embryo during periods of environmental stress. ..
- Falcinelli S, Rodiles A, Unniappan S, Picchietti S, Gioacchini G, Merrifield D, et al. Probiotic treatment reduces appetite and glucose level in the zebrafish model. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18061 pubmed publisher..rhamnosus in the treatment of impaired glucose tolerance and food intake disorders by gut microbiota manipulation. ..
- Sundarrajan L, Yeung C, Hahn L, Weber L, Unniappan S. Irisin regulates cardiac physiology in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181461 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results identified muscle proteins as novel targets of irisin, and added irisin to the list of peptide modulators of cardiovascular physiology in zebrafish. ..
- Taherian A, Krone P, Ovsenek N. A comparison of Hsp90alpha and Hsp90beta interactions with cochaperones and substrates. Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;86:37-45 pubmed publisher..These results reveal both functional similarities and key functional differences in the individual members of this protein family. ..
- Blechinger S, Kusch R, Haugo K, Matz C, Chivers D, Krone P. Brief embryonic cadmium exposure induces a stress response and cell death in the developing olfactory system followed by long-term olfactory deficits in juvenile zebrafish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2007;224:72-80 pubmed
- Blechinger S, Evans T, Tang P, Kuwada J, Warren J, Krone P. The heat-inducible zebrafish hsp70 gene is expressed during normal lens development under non-stress conditions. Mech Dev. 2002;112:213-5 pubmed..In contrast, both the endogenous hsp70 gene and the transgene were strongly expressed throughout the embryo following heat shock at the same developmental stages. ..
- Lele Z, Krone P. Expression of genes encoding the collagen-binding heat shock protein (Hsp47) and type II collagen in developing zebrafish embryos. Mech Dev. 1997;61:89-98 pubmed..Appearance of the larger transcript occurs following somitogenesis, a time which coincides with the co-activation of hsp47 and col2a1 gene expression in tissues outside of the notochord. ..
- Thomas J, Wiseman S, Giesy J, Janz D. Effects of chronic dietary selenomethionine exposure on repeat swimming performance, aerobic metabolism and methionine catabolism in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2013;130-131:112-22 pubmed publisher..Overall the results of this study suggest chronic exposure of adult zebrafish to SeMet in the diet can cause both cellular and organismal effects that could affect fitness and survivability of fish. ..
- Thomas J, Janz D. Dietary selenomethionine exposure in adult zebrafish alters swimming performance, energetics and the physiological stress response. Aquat Toxicol. 2011;102:79-86 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that environmentally relevant dietary Se-Met exposure can alter both behavioral and physiological responses in adult fish, and such consequences could threaten fitness of adult fish in Se impacted aquatic ecosystems. ..
- Evans T, Yamamoto Y, Jeffery W, Krone P. Zebrafish Hsp70 is required for embryonic lens formation. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2005;10:66-78 pubmed
- Raine J, Lallemand L, Pettem C, Janz D. Effects of Chronic Dietary Selenomethionine Exposure on the Visual System of Adult and F1 Generation Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2016;97:331-6 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that environmentally relevant elevated dietary SeMet exposure can affect the visual system of both exposed adult zebrafish and their progeny, which could affect fitness and survivability. ..