Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on ubiquitin conjugating enzymes in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Locale: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Topic: ubiquitin conjugating enzymes
- Broomfield S, Chow B, Xiao W. MMS2, encoding a ubiquitin-conjugating-enzyme-like protein, is a member of the yeast error-free postreplication repair pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:5678-83 pubmed
- Xiao W, Chow B, Broomfield S, Hanna M. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae RAD6 group is composed of an error-prone and two error-free postreplication repair pathways. Genetics. 2000;155:1633-41 pubmed..In view of the high degree of sequence conservation of the RAD6 pathway genes among all eukaryotes, the model presented in this study may also apply to mammalian cells and predicts links to human diseases. ..
- Franko J, Ashley C, Xiao W. Molecular cloning and functional characterization of two murine cDNAs which encode Ubc variants involved in DNA repair and mutagenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1519:70-7 pubmed..We propose several hypotheses to reconcile the seemingly contradictory observations regarding roles of the two mammalian Mms2 homologs in tumorigenesis and carcinogenesis. ..
- Syed N, Andersen P, Warrington R, Xiao W. Uev1A, a ubiquitin conjugating enzyme variant, inhibits stress-induced apoptosis through NF-kappaB activation. Apoptosis. 2006;11:2147-57 pubmed..Our observations presented in this report provide evidence that Uev1A is a critical regulatory component in the NF-kappaB signaling pathway in response to environmental stresses and identify UEV1A as a potential proto-oncogene. ..
- Andersen P, Zhou H, Pastushok L, Moraes T, McKenna S, Ziola B, et al. Distinct regulation of Ubc13 functions by the two ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme variants Mms2 and Uev1A. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:745-55 pubmed..Our finding suggests a novel regulatory mechanism in which different Uevs direct Ubcs to diverse cellular processes through physical interaction and alternative polyubiquitination. ..
- Xiao W, Chow B, Rathgeber L. The repair of DNA methylation damage in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 1996;30:461-8 pubmed..Based on the above analyses, we discuss possible mechanisms for the repair of methylation damage by various pathways. ..
- Wen R, Torres Acosta J, Pastushok L, Lai X, Pelzer L, Wang H, et al. Arabidopsis UEV1D promotes Lysine-63-linked polyubiquitination and is involved in DNA damage response. Plant Cell. 2008;20:213-27 pubmed publisher..Pollen from uev1d plants also displayed a moderate but significant decrease in germination in the presence of DNA damage. This report links Ubc13-Uev with functions in DNA damage response in Arabidopsis. ..
- Wen R, Newton L, Li G, Wang H, Xiao W. Arabidopsis thaliana UBC13: implication of error-free DNA damage tolerance and Lys63-linked polyubiquitylation in plants. Plant Mol Biol. 2006;61:241-53 pubmed..The AtUBC13 genes appear to express ubiquitously and are not induced by various conditions tested. ..
- Pastushok L, Moraes T, Ellison M, Xiao W. A single Mms2 "key" residue insertion into a Ubc13 pocket determines the interface specificity of a human Lys63 ubiquitin conjugation complex. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:17891-900 pubmed
- Arnason T, Pisclevich M, Dash M, Davies G, Harkness T. Novel interaction between Apc5p and Rsp5p in an intracellular signaling pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2005;4:134-46 pubmed..Therefore, the antagonistic interplay between Deltaubc7 and rsp5CA, with respect to cdc34-2 and apc5CA, indicates that the outcome of Rsp5p's interaction with Cdc34p and Apc5p may depend on the E2 interacting with Rsp5p. ..
- Brown M, Zhu Y, Hemmingsen S, Xiao W. Structural and functional conservation of error-free DNA postreplication repair in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. DNA Repair (Amst). 2002;1:869-80 pubmed..Hence, our data strongly support the hypothesis that the PRR function mediated by UBC13-MMS2 is conserved throughout eukaryotes. ..
- Broomfield S, Xiao W. Suppression of genetic defects within the RAD6 pathway by srs2 is specific for error-free post-replication repair but not for damage-induced mutagenesis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2002;30:732-9 pubmed..Taken together, our observations link error-free PRR to homologous recombination through the helicase activity of Srs2. ..
- Brusky J, Zhu Y, Xiao W. UBC13, a DNA-damage-inducible gene, is a member of the error-free postreplication repair pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2000;37:168-74 pubmed..The involvement of UBC13 in cellular tolerance to DNA-damage is further implicated by our finding that the UBC13 transcript level is increased up to 6-fold in response to DNA-damage. ..
- Wooff J, Pastushok L, Hanna M, Fu Y, Xiao W. The TRAF6 RING finger domain mediates physical interaction with Ubc13. FEBS Lett. 2004;566:229-33 pubmed..Based on this study and our previous Ubc13-Uev structural analysis, the interface of Ubc13-TRAF6 RING finger can be predicted. ..
- Ashley C, Pastushok L, McKenna S, Ellison M, Xiao W. Roles of mouse UBC13 in DNA postreplication repair and Lys63-linked ubiquitination. Gene. 2002;285:183-91 pubmed..These results suggest that the roles of UBC13 are conserved throughout eukaryotes and that the mouse is an appropriate model for the study of Ubc13-mediated Lys63-linked ubiquitin signaling pathways in humans. ..
- Barbour L, Ball L, Zhang K, Xiao W. DNA damage checkpoints are involved in postreplication repair. Genetics. 2006;174:1789-800 pubmed..These results suggest that a damage checkpoint is essential for tolerance mediated by both the error-free and error-prone branches of PRR. ..