Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Locale: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Publications460 found, 100 shown here
- Marks W, Cavanagh M, Greba Q, Cain S, Snutch T, Howland J. The Genetic Absence Epilepsy Rats from Strasbourg model of absence epilepsy exhibits alterations in fear conditioning and latent inhibition consistent with psychiatric comorbidities in humans. Eur J Neurosci. 2016;43:25-40 pubmed publisher..Together, the results suggest that GAERS may be a particularly useful model for assessing therapeutics designed to improve the emotional and cognitive disturbances associated with absence epilepsy. ..
- Zhu X, Shi D, Li X, Gong W, Wu F, Guo X, et al. TLR signalling affects sperm mitochondrial function and motility via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and glycogen synthase kinase-3Î±. Cell Signal. 2016;28:148-156 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a novel mechanism by which pathogenic infection affects sperm motility and possibly leads to infertility. ..
- Muir D, Kanthan R, Kanthan S. Male versus female breast cancers. A population-based comparative immunohistochemical analysis. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003;127:36-41 pubmed..It remains unclear whether the biological behavior and tumor progression associated with male breast cancer parallel that of the female form...
- Midha K, Rawson M, Hubbard J. The role of metabolites in bioequivalence. Pharm Res. 2004;21:1331-44 pubmed..Our recommendation, however, is that in the interests of safety, bioequivalence decision-making should be based on the parent drug whenever possible. ..
- Hill J, Goh S, Money D, Doyle M, Li A, Crosby W, et al. Characterization of vaginal microflora of healthy, nonpregnant women by chaperonin-60 sequence-based methods. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005;193:682-92 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to use a novel method that was based on the application of chaperonin-60 sequencing to describe the vaginal microflora of 16 healthy women...
- Linassi G, Li Pi Shan R, Marino R. A web-based computer program to determine the ASIA impairment classification. Spinal Cord. 2010;48:100-4 pubmed publisher..This program can also be used to educate health-care personnel, including residents and medical students, on classifying the impairment in traumatic spinal cord injury. ..
- Lakshmikuttyamma A, Scott S, DeCoteau J, Geyer C. Reexpression of epigenetically silenced AML tumor suppressor genes by SUV39H1 inhibition. Oncogene. 2010;29:576-88 pubmed publisher..The results from this study highlight the potential of H3K9 methyltransferases as therapeutic targets for reactivating expression of hypermethylated genes. ..
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake C, McCrosky J, Thorpe L. Longitudinal trends in mental health among ethnic groups in Canada. Chronic Dis Inj Can. 2012;32:164-76 pubmed..Policies and programs should also target women, the younger age group (15-24 years) and low-income adequacy groups. ..
- Jadhav A, Ndisang J. Treatment with heme arginate alleviates adipose tissue inflammation and improves insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism in a rat model of Human primary aldosteronism. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012;53:2277-86 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that although UnX DOCA-salt rats were normoglycemic, insulin signaling was impaired, suggesting that dysfunctional insulin signaling may be a forerunner to overt diabetes in primary aldosteronism. ..
- Hagel L, Pahwa P, Dosman J, Pickett W. Economic worry and the presence of safety hazards on farms. Accid Anal Prev. 2013;53:156-60 pubmed publisher..Farm operators need to be supported in decisions to invest the physical safety of their farms. They also require evidence that investments in safety are indeed economically sensible and healthy management decisions. ..
- Chalmers D, Dell C. Applying One Health to the Study of Animal-Assisted Interventions. Ecohealth. 2015;12:560-2 pubmed publisher..The authors discuss how this framework has been used in their prior AAI research and work with Indigenous people. Applying this framework to AAIs may guide future AAI research. ..
- Robles Escajeda E, Das U, Ortega N, Parra K, Francia G, Dimmock J, et al. A novel curcumin-like dienone induces apoptosis in triple-negative breast cancer cells. Cell Oncol (Dordr). 2016;39:265-77 pubmed publisher..This observation warrants further assessment of dienone 2c as a potential anti-breast cancer drug. ..
- Popescu B, Frischer J, Webb S, Tham M, Adiele R, Robinson C, et al. Pathogenic implications of distinct patterns of iron and zinc in chronic MS lesions. Acta Neuropathol. 2017;134:45-64 pubmed publisher..Upon degeneration of iron-loaded microglia/macrophages, astrocytes may form an additional protective barrier that may prevent iron-induced oxidative damage. ..
- Shafran S, Sacks S, Aoki F, Tyrrell D, Schlech W, Mendelson J, et al. Topical undecylenic acid for herpes simplex labialis: a multicenter, placebo-controlled trial. J Infect Dis. 1997;176:78-83 pubmed..Undecylenic acid 15% cream reduces viral shedding in recurrent herpes labialis, but clinical benefits are minimal and largely restricted to patients initiating therapy during the prodrome. ..
- Sanche S, Dust W, Shevchuk Y. Vancomycin-induced neutropenia resolves after substitution with teicoplanin. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:824-5 pubmed..We describe a case of vancomycin-induced neutropenia in which the neutropenia resolved after vancomycin was replaced by the structurally related compound teicoplanin. ..
- Jokic R, Zintel T, Sridhar G, Gallagher C, Fitzpatrick M. Ventilatory responses to hypercapnia and hypoxia in relatives of patients with the obesity hypoventilation syndrome. Thorax. 2000;55:940-5 pubmed..We hypothesised that, in patients with OHS who do not have coincident severe OSA, there may be a familial impairment in ventilatory responses to hypoxia and hypercapnia...
- Klassen J, Krasko B. The dental health status of dialysis patients. J Can Dent Assoc. 2002;68:34-8 pubmed..We conclude that the dental health of dialysis patients is poor and requires greater attention. ..
- Schmutz S, Berryere T, Goldfinch A. TYRP1 and MC1R genotypes and their effects on coat color in dogs. Mamm Genome. 2002;13:380-7 pubmed..The black or brown nose correlated perfectly with the absence or presence of the same three TYRP1 variants described above. TYRP1 was linkage mapped to dog chromosome 11, with a SNP in exon 7. ..
- Li X, Babiuk L, Tikoo S. Transcription mapping and characterization of proteins produced from early region 4 of porcine adenovirus type 3. Arch Virol. 2007;152:495-505 pubmed..The proteins encoded by ORFp3 and ORFp7\ORFp1/7 were detected in the cytoplasm of PAdV-3-infected cells. However, the protein encoded by ORFp4 was observed both in the cytoplasm and nucleus of PAdV-3-infected cells...
- Skomro R, Silva R, Alves R, Figueiredo A, Lorenzi Filho G. The prevalence and significance of periodic leg movements during sleep in patients with congestive heart failure. Sleep Breath. 2009;13:43-7 pubmed publisher..There were no differences in subjective daytime sleepiness, sleep architecture, AHI, and severity of CHF in subjects with and without PLMs. PLMs caused a small but statistically significant cardiac acceleration. ..
- Zhao X, Town J, Li F, Zhang X, Cockcroft D, Gordon J. ELR-CXC chemokine receptor antagonism targets inflammatory responses at multiple levels. J Immunol. 2009;182:3213-22 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the beneficial effects of ELR-CXC chemokine antagonism arise through effects that occur at multiple levels, including epithelial cells, neutrophils, and alternate G protein-coupled receptors. ..
- Himsworth C. The danger of lime use in agricultural anthrax disinfection procedures: the potential role of calcium in the preservation of anthrax spores. Can Vet J. 2008;49:1208-10 pubmed..For this reason, the CFIA no longer recommends the use of lime for agricultural anthrax disinfection. ..
- Doroszko A, Polewicz D, Cadete V, Sawicka J, Jones M, Szczesna Cordary D, et al. Neonatal asphyxia induces the nitration of cardiac myosin light chain 2 that is associated with cardiac systolic dysfunction. Shock. 2010;34:592-600 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of MLC2 nitration and/or direct inhibition of its degradation by MMP-2 could be potential therapeutic targets aiming at reduction of myocardial damage during resuscitation of asphyxiated newborns. ..
- Wood P, Smith T, Pelzer L, Goodenowe D. Targeted metabolomic analyses of cellular models of pelizaeus-merzbacher disease reveal plasmalogen and myo-inositol solute carrier dysfunction. Lipids Health Dis. 2011;10:102 pubmed publisher..Further targeted metabolomics analyses were conducted to obtain a preliminary evaluation of the metabolic consequences of lipid changes and gene mutations in these cell models...
- Duncan V, Holtslander L. Utilizing grounded theory to explore the information-seeking behavior of senior nursing students. J Med Libr Assoc. 2012;100:20-7 pubmed publisher..Teaching strategies to identify possible words and phrases to use when querying information sources should be emphasized more in the information literacy training of undergraduate nursing students. ..
- van Drunen Littel van den Hurk S, Watkiss E. Pathogenesis of respiratory syncytial virus. Curr Opin Virol. 2012;2:300-5 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, whether the response induced by RSV is protective or pathogenic depends on a combination of host factors, young age being one of the most important ones...
- Jarosova B, Blaha L, Giesy J, Hilscherova K. What level of estrogenic activity determined by in vitro assays in municipal waste waters can be considered as safe?. Environ Int. 2014;64:98-109 pubmed publisher..They are applicable to municipal wastewater and rivers close to their discharges, but not to industrial waste waters. ..
- Silva S, Baxter Jones A, Maia J. Fat Mass Centile Charts for Brazilian Children and Adolescents and the Identification of the Roles of Socioeconomic Status and Physical Fitness on Fat Mass Development. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13:151 pubmed publisher..Physical fitness levels were found to act as a protective factor in FM increases. As such, we emphasize PF importance as a putative health marker and highlight the need for its systematic development across the school years. ..
- Schmutz S, Moker J, Leipprandt J, Friderici K. Beta-mannosidase maps to cattle chromosome 6. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:474 pubmed
- Ritchie S, Pasha M, Batten D, Sharma R, Olson D, Ross A, et al. Identification of the SRC pyrimidine-binding protein (SPy) as hnRNP K: implications in the regulation of SRC1A transcription. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:1502-13 pubmed..These data provide new insights into the double- and single-stranded DNA-binding specificity, as well as functional properties of hnRNP K, and suggest that hnRNP K is a critical component of SRC1A transcriptional processes. ..
- Marschall J, Bigsby R, Nechala P. Gastrocolic fistulae as a consequence of benign gastric ulcer disease. Can J Gastroenterol. 2003;17:441-3 pubmed..Although the management of gastrocolic fistulae has historically been surgical, medical management has recently been recommended as the first line of treatment when an underlying malignancy can be excluded. ..
- Ha D, Johnson D. High frequency oscillatory ventilation in the management of a high output bronchopleural fistula: a case report. Can J Anaesth. 2004;51:78-83 pubmed..breaths(-1). We report the successful use of HFOV in a patient with high output BPF. We suggest that HFOV is a useful technique in patients with a BPF when conventional positive pressure ventilation fails. ..
- Yang G, Cao K, Wu L, Wang R. Cystathionine gamma-lyase overexpression inhibits cell proliferation via a H2S-dependent modulation of ERK1/2 phosphorylation and p21Cip/WAK-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49199-205 pubmed..Moreover, exogenous H2S induced a sustained ERK and p21Cip/WAK-1 activation. These findings support the hypothesis that endogenously produced H2S may play a fundamental role in cell proliferation and survival. ..
- Scott S, Kimura T, Dong W, Ichinohasama R, Bergen S, Kerviche A, et al. Methylation status of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor genes within the transforming growth factor beta pathway in human T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma/leukemia. Leuk Res. 2004;28:1293-301 pubmed..In contrast to some hematological malignancies p27KIP1 methylation does not appear to contribute significantly to T-LBL/ALL pathogenesis. ..
- Hansen G, Zhao X, Drlica K, Blondeau J. Mutant prevention concentration for ciprofloxacin and levofloxacin with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2006;27:120-4 pubmed..For individual isolates, the MPC correlated poorly with the minimum inhibitory concentration (r(2) = 0.41 and 0.39 for ciprofloxacin and levofloxacin, respectively). ..
- Babiuk S, Horseman B, Zhang C, Bickis M, Kusalik A, Schook L, et al. BoLA class I allele diversity and polymorphism in a herd of cattle. Immunogenetics. 2007;59:167-76 pubmed
- Lim H, Zhang X. Semi-parametric additive risk models: application to injury duration study. Accid Anal Prev. 2009;41:211-6 pubmed publisher..Since Cox and additive hazards models give different aspects of the association between risk factors and the study outcome, it seems desirable to use together to give a more comprehensive understanding of data. ..
- Shah S, O Byrne M, Wilson M, Wilson T. Research of a Holiday kind: elevators or stairs?. CMAJ. 2011;183:E1353-5 pubmed publisher..Taking the stairs rather than the elevator saved about 15 minutes each workday. This 3% savings per workday could translate into improved productivity as well as increased fitness. ..
- Garlapati S, Garg R, Brownlie R, Latimer L, Simko E, Hancock R, et al. Enhanced immune responses and protection by vaccination with respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein formulated with CpG oligodeoxynucleotide and innate defense regulator peptide in polyphosphazene microparticles. Vaccine. 2012;30:5206-14 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, formulation of recombinant ΔF with CpG ODN and IDR peptide in polyphosphazene microparticles should be considered for further evaluation as a safe and effective vaccine against RSV. ..
- Fang J, Song J. In vitro characterization of the oxidation of a pyridinium metabolite of haloperidol by human placenta: the effect of smoking. J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2012;15:538-47 pubmed..This article is open to POST-PUBLICATION REVIEW. Registered readers (see "For Readers") may comment by clicking on ABSTRACT on the issue's contents page. ..
- Wu J, Wang Y, Zhang M, Tang Y, Wang B, He P, et al. Growth differentiation factor-15 induces expression of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 through PI3-K/PKC?/SP1 pathway in THP-1 macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;444:325-31 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that GDF-15 has an overall protective effect on the progression of atherosclerosis, likely through inducing ABCA1 expression via the PI3K/PKC?/SP1 signaling pathway and enhancing cholesterol efflux. ..
- Ezeani M, Omabe M. A New Perspective of Lysosomal Cation Channel-Dependent Homeostasis in Alzheimer's Disease. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:1672-1678 pubmed publisher..Using AÎ²42 and tau proteins found along clathrin endolysosomal internalization pathway (Fig. 3), we proffer a mechanism of abnormal pH(L) and ML1/TPC2-dependent cation homeostasis in AD. ..
- Boden C, Bidonde J, Busch A. Gaps exist in the current guidance on the use of randomized controlled trial study protocols in systematic reviews. J Clin Epidemiol. 2017;85:59-69 pubmed publisher..To encourage and assist reviewers to use trial registry records and RCT study protocols in systematic reviews, current guidance should be expanded and clarified. ..
- Xiao W, Lechler T, Chow B, Fontanie T, Agustus M, Carter K, et al. Identification, chromosomal mapping and tissue-specific expression of hREV3 encoding a putative human DNA polymerase zeta. Carcinogenesis. 1998;19:945-9 pubmed..In light of recent reports of a putative mouse REV3, these results indicate that mammalian cells may also contain a mutagenic pathway which aids in cell survival at the cost of increased mutation. ..
- Dimmock J, Padmanilayam M, Zello G, Nienaber K, Allen T, Santos C, et al. Cytotoxic analogues of 2,6-bis(arylidene)cyclohexanones. Eur J Med Chem. 2003;38:169-77 pubmed..A number of lead molecules emerged from this investigation as well as guidelines for future expansion of these series of compounds...
- Jiang Z, Richardson J, Yu P. The contribution of cerebral vascular semicarbazide-sensitive amine oxidase to cerebral amyloid angiopathy in Alzheimer's disease. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2008;34:194-204 pubmed..We also demonstrated that SSAO-mediated deamination increases the deposition of Abeta onto blood vessel walls. Our results support the hypothesis that cerebral vascular SSAO-catalysed deamination contributes to CAA in AD brains. ..
- Doroszko A, Polewicz D, Sawicka J, Richardson J, Cheung P, Sawicki G. Cardiac dysfunction in an animal model of neonatal asphyxia is associated with increased degradation of MLC1 by MMP-2. Basic Res Cardiol. 2009;104:669-79 pubmed publisher..Since the degradation of MLC1 by MMP-2 appears to be a common feature of oxidative stress, these pharmacological interventions may be useful in reducing tissue damage in other oxidative stress-related disorders as well. ..
- Dobson R, Taylor J, Henry C, Lachaine J, Zello G, Keegan D, et al. Taking the lead: community pharmacists' perception of their role potential within the primary care team. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2009;5:327-36 pubmed publisher..The findings of the study suggest substantial variability among pharmacists in their perception of the need for pharmacy leadership across 16 clinical and managerial activities. ..
- Dhar A, Dhar I, Desai K, Wu L. Methylglyoxal scavengers attenuate endothelial dysfunction induced by methylglyoxal and high concentrations of glucose. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;161:1843-56 pubmed publisher..We investigated if MG induces endothelial dysfunction and whether MG scavengers can prevent endothelial dysfunction induced by MG and high glucose concentrations...
- Gjevre J, Taylor Gjevre R, Skomro R, Reid J, Fenton M, Cotton D. Comparison of polysomnographic and portable home monitoring assessments of obstructive sleep apnea in Saskatchewan women. Can Respir J. 2011;18:271-4 pubmed..In women believed to be at high-risk for OSA, Embletta in-home sleep testing is useful for the detection of sleep disordered breathing. ..
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake C, Dosman J, Spinelli J, McDuffie H, McLaughlin J. Multiple myeloma and exposure to pesticides: a Canadian case-control study. J Agromedicine. 2012;17:40-50 pubmed publisher..The authors further suggest that certain pesticide exposures may have a role in multiple myeloma etiology, and identify specific factors warranting investigation in other populations. ..
- Wijnands J, Kingwell E, Zhu F, Zhao Y, Högg T, Stadnyk K, et al. Health-care use before a first demyelinating event suggestive of a multiple sclerosis prodrome: a matched cohort study. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:445-451 pubmed publisher..These findings have clinical and research implications, including the establishment of an earlier window of opportunity to identify and potentially treat multiple sclerosis. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. ..
- Crawley Low J. Collection analysis techniques used to evaluate a graduate-level toxicology collection. J Med Libr Assoc. 2002;90:310-6 pubmed
- Toth C, Harder S, Yager J. Neonatal herpes encephalitis: a case series and review of clinical presentation. Can J Neurol Sci. 2003;30:36-40 pubmed..The lack of postinfection epilepsy in our series may also relate to better recognition and acyclovir therapy within this series of patients. ..
- Popescu B, Robinson C, Chapman L, Nichol H. Synchrotron X-ray fluorescence reveals abnormal metal distributions in brain and spinal cord in spinocerebellar ataxia: a case report. Cerebellum. 2009;8:340-51 pubmed publisher..We suggest that if these findings are generally true of at least some cases of SCA, not only iron but also copper and zinc should be considered as possible therapeutic targets. ..
- Vickers D, Osgood N. Current crisis or artifact of surveillance: insights into rebound chlamydia rates from dynamic modelling. BMC Infect Dis. 2010;10:70 pubmed publisher..These simple methods not only demonstrate geographic portability, but the results reassure the public health effort towards monitoring and controlling chlamydia. ..
- Schneberger D, Caldwell S, Kanthan R, Singh B. Expression of Toll-like receptor 9 in mouse and human lungs. J Anat. 2013;222:495-503 pubmed publisher..These are the first data showing TLR9 mRNA and protein expression in intact human and mouse lungs. The data may be useful for clarifying the role of TLR9 in the contributions of specific cells to lung physiology. ..
- Li J, Leung A, Kondo Y, Oubridge C, Nagai K. Re-refinement of the spliceosomal U4 snRNP core-domain structure. Acta Crystallogr D Struct Biol. 2016;72:131-46 pubmed publisher..New insights are obtained from the more accurate model. ..
- Iniesta Arandia I, Ravera F, Buechler S, Díaz Reviriego I, Fernandez Gimenez M, Reed M, et al. A synthesis of convergent reflections, tensions and silences in linking gender and global environmental change research. Ambio. 2016;45:383-393 pubmed..g. qualitative or mixed methods) and the methodological challenges that derive from intersectional perspectives. Finally, key messages for policy agendas and further research are drawn from the common reflection. ..
- Popescu B, Robinson C, Rajput A, Rajput A, Harder S, Nichol H. Iron, copper, and zinc distribution of the cerebellum. Cerebellum. 2009;8:74-9 pubmed publisher..We discuss how RS-XRF metal mapping in the normal brain may yield important clues to the mechanisms of degeneration in the dentate nucleus. ..
- Cornish S, Chilibeck P, Paus Jennsen L, Biem H, Khozani T, Senanayake V, et al. A randomized controlled trial of the effects of flaxseed lignan complex on metabolic syndrome composite score and bone mineral in older adults. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009;34:89-98 pubmed publisher..Flaxseed lignan had no effect on bone mineral density or content, body composition, lipoproteins, glucose, or inflammation. ..
- Pierce C. Platypnea-orthodeoxia syndrome in an elderly woman with a patent foramen ovale. Can J Cardiol. 2010;26:213-4 pubmed..Successful percutaneous transcatheter closure of the intracardiac defect resulted in resolution of the syndrome...
- Johnson D, Wilson M, Cavanaugh B, Bryden C, Gudmundson D, Moodley O. Measuring the ability to meet family needs in an intensive care unit. Crit Care Med. 1998;26:266-71 pubmed..We speculate that this instrument may be a useful adjunct in assessing quality of critical care services provided. ..
- Kanthan R, Torkian B. Primary de novo malignant giant cell tumor of kidney: a case report. BMC Urol. 2004;4:7 pubmed..Awareness of this neoplasm is important in the pathological interpretation of unusual findings at either fine needle aspiration or frozen section of solid renal masses. ..
- Brown Y. Learning in a preceptorship. Can Nurse. 2004;100:23-6 pubmed
- Ahmed S, Shahid R, Sison C, Fuchs A, Mehrotra B. Orbital lymphomas: a clinicopathologic study of a rare disease. Am J Med Sci. 2006;331:79-83 pubmed..To evaluate the clinicopathologic features and prognosis of patients with orbital lymphomas...
- Selvakumar P, Sharma R. Phosphorylation and dephosphorylation of human myristoyltransferase type 1. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2006;84:707-12 pubmed..The cross-talk among NMT, tyrosine kinases, and phosphatases may be determined by their subcellular localization and by the physiological state of the cell. ..
- Oem J, Jackel Cram C, Li Y, Kang H, Zhou Y, Babiuk L, et al. Hepatitis C virus non-structural protein-2 activates CXCL-8 transcription through NF-kappaB. Arch Virol. 2008;153:293-301 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that HCV NS2 up-regulates IL-8 transcription through NF-kappaB. This newly identified function increases our understanding of the role of HCV NS2 protein in virus-host interactions...
- Koneru A, Sigal M. Access to dental care for persons with developmental disabilities in Ontario. J Can Dent Assoc. 2009;75:121 pubmed..Personal (internal) factors were more likely to represent barriers to dental care than external factors. The majority of persons with disabilities and most caregivers believed that oral health is important for overall health. ..
- George G, Singh S, Hoover J, Pickering I. The chemical forms of mercury in aged and fresh dental amalgam surfaces. Chem Res Toxicol. 2009;22:1761-4 pubmed publisher..Whereas the fresh amalgam gives spectra that are typical of metallic mercury, the aged amalgam is predominantly beta-mercuric sulfide. The toxicological implications of these results are discussed. ..
- Krakowetz C, Lindsay L, Chilton N. Genetic diversity in Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae) from six established populations in Canada. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2011;2:143-50 pubmed publisher..scapularis in Canada, as well as those predicted to establish in the near future, has important implications with respect to understanding the risk of exposure to pathogenic bacteria infecting these ticks. ..
- Tavassoly O, Lee J. Methamphetamine binds to ?-synuclein and causes a conformational change which can be detected by nanopore analysis. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:3222-8 pubmed publisher..The results suggest a mechanism for the psychoactivity of methamphetamine as well as an increased incidence of Parkinson's disease amongst users of the drug. ..
- Meng X, D Arcy C. Common and unique risk factors and comorbidity for 12-month mood and anxiety disorders among Canadians. Can J Psychiatry. 2012;57:479-87 pubmed..Common and unique risk factors exist for mood and anxiety disorders. Risk factors are additive in increasing the likelihood of disease. ..
- Liu J, Mak T, Banigesh A, Desai K, Wang R, Wu L. Aldolase B knockdown prevents high glucose-induced methylglyoxal overproduction and cellular dysfunction in endothelial cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41495 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, efficient inhibition of aldolase B can prevent high glucose-induced overproduction of MG and related cellular dysfunction in endothelial cells. ..
- Wang L, Albert A, Jung B, Hadad K, Lyon M, Basso M. Limitations and opportunities of whole blood bilirubin measurements by GEM premier 4000Â®. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:92 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the lack of standardization of total bilirubin calibration particularly in newborn specimens, may also account for some of the disagreement in results. ..
- Barber J, Guo M, Nguyen L, Thomas R, Turin T, Vaska M, et al. Sociodemographic Correlates of Clinical Laboratory Test Expenditures in a Major Canadian City. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;148:91-96 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, hotspot mapping revealed the geographical distribution of patient test costs within the city. There is variation in testing costs for patients among different sociodemographic variables. ..
- Edouard L, Senthilselvan A. Observer error and birthweight: digit preference in recording. Public Health. 1997;111:77-9 pubmed..8% in the number of low birthweight babies and a concomitant increase of 0.1% in the actual incidence of low birthweight. Epidemiological applications of birthweight should take into account the observer error caused by digit preference. ..
- Lu R, Yang P, Padmakumar S, Misra V. The herpesvirus transactivator VP16 mimics a human basic domain leucine zipper protein, luman, in its interaction with HCF. J Virol. 1998;72:6291-7 pubmed..These data suggest that the HCF-Luman interaction may represent a conserved mechanism for transcriptional regulation in metazoans, and HSV mimics this interaction with HCF to monitor the physiological state of the host cell. ..
- Kanthan R, Moyana T, Nyssen J. Asplenia as a cause of sudden unexpected death in childhood. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 1999;20:57-9 pubmed..Such steps may aid in the aggressive management of isolated congenital asplenia and thereby avert untimely death...
- Liu L, Hader J, Brossart B, White R, Lewis S. Impact of rural hospital closures in Saskatchewan, Canada. Soc Sci Med. 2001;52:1793-804 pubmed..It requires creative approaches to the provision of primary care, good emergency services, and good communication with the public on the intent and outcomes of change. ..
- Biem J, Koehncke N, Classen D, Dosman J. Out of the cold: management of hypothermia and frostbite. CMAJ. 2003;168:305-11 pubmed
- Gubisne Haberle D, Hill W, Kazachkov M, Richardson J, Yu P. Protein cross-linkage induced by formaldehyde derived from semicarbazide-sensitive amine oxidase-mediated deamination of methylamine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004;310:1125-32 pubmed..Our data support the hypothesis that the SSAO-induced production of formaldehyde may be involved in the alteration of protein structure, which may subsequently cause protein deposition associated with chronic pathological disorders. ..
- Jiang Z, Yu P. Involvement of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 and (phosphoinositide 3-kinase)/Akt signal pathways in acquired resistance against neurotoxin of 6-hydroxydopamine in SH-SY5Y cells following cell-cell interaction with astrocytes. Neuroscience. 2005;133:405-11 pubmed..Our data suggest that PI3-K/Akt signal pathway, but not ERK1/2, is involved the acquired resistance in SH-SY5Y cells following cell-cell interaction with astrocytes against the neurotoxic 6-OHDA insult. ..
- Ye Z, Chen Z, Sami A, El Gayed A, Xiang J. Human dendritic cells engineered to express alpha tumor necrosis factor maintain cellular maturation and T-cell stimulation capacity. Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 2006;21:613-22 pubmed..Thus, our results may be important in designing DC-based cancer vaccines in the future. ..
- Elbarbry F, Shoker A. Therapeutic drug measurement of mycophenolic acid derivatives in transplant patients. Clin Biochem. 2007;40:752-64 pubmed..Current information suggests the feasibility to set up method(s) to monitor MPA and its metabolites in most centers. ..
- Chilibeck P, Cornish S. Effect of estrogenic compounds (estrogen or phytoestrogens) combined with exercise on bone and muscle mass in older individuals. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008;33:200-12 pubmed publisher..Estrogen or soy isoflavones given to postmenopausal women results in a small increase in lean tissue mass that may be mediated through estrogen receptor alpha on muscle or through decreased inflammation. ..