Experts and Doctors on horse diseases in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Locale: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Topic: horse diseases
- Allen A, Townsend H, Doige C, Fretz P. A case-control study of the congenital hypothyroidism and dysmaturity syndrome of foals. Can Vet J. 1996;37:349-51; 354-8 pubmed..This study suggests that congenital hypothyroidism and dysmaturity syndrome in foals may be the result of diets that contain nitrate or that are low in iodine being fed to pregnant mares...
- Carmalt J, Baptiste K, Chirino Trejo J. Actinobacillus lignieresii infection in two horses. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1999;215:826-8, 796 pubmed..To the authors' knowledge, these findings represent the first report of mastitis and chronic nasal cellulitis caused by A lignieresii infection in horses...
- Grahn B, Cullen C. Diagnosis of blindness in a horse. Can Vet J. 2002;43:563-4 pubmed
- Abutarbush S, O Connor B, Clark C, Sampieri F, Naylor J. Clinical West Nile virus infection in 2 horses in western Canada. Can Vet J. 2004;45:315-7 pubmed..The other was euthanized; it had meningoencephalomyelitis, WNV was detected by polymerase chain reaction. West Nile virus infection is an emerging disease. Year 2002 is the first year in which cases have been seen in Saskatchewan. ..
- Lopez A, Townsend H, Allen A, Hondalus M. Safety and immunogenicity of a live-attenuated auxotrophic candidate vaccine against the intracellular pathogen Rhodococcus equi. Vaccine. 2008;26:998-1009 pubmed..equi-specific immune responses. A preliminary immunization strategy did not afford protection against virulent R. equi challenge and therefore, optimization of the vaccine formulation and or vaccination protocol will be necessary...
- Grahn B, Pinard C, Archer S, Bellone R, Forsyth G, Sandmeyer L. Congenital ocular anomalies in purebred and crossbred Rocky and Kentucky Mountain horses in Canada. Can Vet J. 2008;49:675-81 pubmed..A pedigree analysis confirms a dominant mode of inheritance with incomplete penetrance and with a linkage to coat color...
- Himsworth C, Argue C. Clinical impressions of anthrax from the 2006 outbreak in Saskatchewan. Can Vet J. 2009;50:291-4 pubmed..Failure of blood to clot was the most reliable indicator of anthrax in carcasses. ..
- Tokateloff N, Manning S, Weese J, Campbell J, Rothenburger J, Stephen C, et al. Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization in horses in Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. Can Vet J. 2009;50:1177-80 pubmed..Surveillance is warranted because of the potential of MRSA to cause disease in horses and humans. ..
- Burgess H, Lockerbie B, Czerwinski S, Scott M. Equine laryngeal rhinosporidiosis in western Canada. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2012;24:777-80 pubmed publisher..The infection most likely originated in Argentina, with a prolonged subclinical phase. Due to increased travel of human beings and animals, there is potential for the introduction of exotic diseases into nonendemic areas...
- Sanchez Teran A, Bracamonte J, Hendrick S, Burguess H, Duke Novakovski T, Schott M, et al. Effect of Arthroscopic Lavage on Systemic and Synovial Fluid Serum Amyloid A in Healthy Horses. Vet Surg. 2016;45:223-30 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the effect of arthroscopic lavage on systemic serum amyloid A (SAA) and SAA, total protein, nucleated cell count, and percentage of neutrophils in synovial fluid in healthy horses...
- DurÃ¡n M, MarquÃ©s F. Detection of Neorickettsia risticii, the agent of Potomac horse fever, in a Gypsy Vanner stallion from Manitoba. Can Vet J. 2016;57:293-5 pubmed..i> Il sâ€™agit du premier cas de fiÃ¨vre du Potomac au Manitoba.(Traduit par Isabelle ValliÃ¨res). ..
- Scott M, John E, Bellone R, Ching J, Loewen M, Sandmeyer L, et al. Redundant contribution of a Transient Receptor Potential cation channel Member 1 exon 11 single nucleotide polymorphism to equine congenital stationary night blindness. BMC Vet Res. 2016;12:121 pubmed publisher..Coexistence and co-inheritance of two independent TRPM1 mutations across 1000 equine generations suggests a selective advantage for the apparently deleterious CSNB trait. ..
- Tatarniuk D, Bell C, Carmalt J. A description of the relationship between the nasomaxillary aperture and the paranasal sinus system of horses. Vet J. 2010;186:216-20 pubmed publisher..The caudal and rostral maxillary sinuses had their own, completely distinct outlets (entrances into the nasomaxillary aperture). There was no significant effect of side on measured variables. ..
- Robinson E, Carmalt J. Inguinal herniation of the ascending colon in a 6-month-old Standardbred colt. Vet Surg. 2009;38:1012-3 pubmed publisher..To report inguinal herniation of the ascending colon in a Standardbred colt...
- Epp T, Waldner C, Berke O. Predictive risk mapping of West Nile virus (WNV) infection in Saskatchewan horses. Can J Vet Res. 2011;75:161-70 pubmed