Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on seizures in Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Locale: Montréal, Quebec, Canada
- Jiruska P, Alvarado Rojas C, Schevon C, Staba R, Stacey W, Wendling F, et al. Update on the mechanisms and roles of high-frequency oscillations in seizures and epileptic disorders. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1330-1339 pubmed publisher..Detailed understanding of the pathophysiology of HFOs will propel better HFO classification and increase their information yield for clinical and diagnostic purposes. ..
- Bortel A, Levesque M, Biagini G, Gotman J, Avoli M. Convulsive status epilepticus duration as determinant for epileptogenesis and interictal discharge generation in the rat limbic system. Neurobiol Dis. 2010;40:478-89 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that convulsive SE duration influences the development of interictal and ictal activity, and that interictal discharges undergo structure-specific changes after seizure appearance. ..
- Kardash K, Morrow F, Beique F. Seizures after epidural blood patch with undiagnosed subdural hematoma. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2002;27:433-6 pubmed..Earlier recognition of confusion and fatigue as a postictal state may have led to earlier diagnosis of the hematoma. Our experience suggests that EBP be avoided in the setting of subdural hematoma. ..
- Yadav R, Shah A, Loeb J, Swamy M, Agarwal R. Morphology-based automatic seizure detector for intracerebral EEG recordings. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2012;59:1871-81 pubmed publisher..9%. The new system detected a wide range of seizure patterns that included rhythmic and nonrhythmic seizures of varying length, including those missed by the experts. We also compare the proposed system with a popular commercial system. ..
- Pizzo F, Frauscher B, Ferrari Marinho T, Amiri M, Dubeau F, Gotman J. Detectability of Fast Ripples (>250Â Hz) on the Scalp EEG: A Proof-of-Principle Study with Subdermal Electrodes. Brain Topogr. 2016;29:358-67 pubmed publisher..The relationship between surface FRs and the SOZ remains unclear. Future studies aiming at a higher spatial EEG coverage are needed to elucidate their significance. ..
- Levesque M, Salami P, Gotman J, Avoli M. Two seizure-onset types reveal specific patterns of high-frequency oscillations in a model of temporal lobe epilepsy. J Neurosci. 2012;32:13264-72 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that ripples and fast ripples show distinct time- and region-specific patterns during LVF and HYP seizures, thus suggesting that they play specific roles in ictogenesis. ..
- de Guzman P, D Antuono M, Avoli M. Initiation of electrographic seizures by neuronal networks in entorhinal and perirhinal cortices in vitro. Neuroscience. 2004;123:875-86 pubmed..These findings indicate that parahippocampal networks provide independent epileptiform synchronization sufficient to sustain limbic seizures as well as that the perirhinal cortex plays a preferential role in in vitro ictogenesis. ..
- Clement R, Redpath M, Sauvageau A. Mechanism of death in hanging: a historical review of the evolution of pathophysiological hypotheses. J Forensic Sci. 2010;55:1268-71 pubmed publisher..The relative contributions of each of these theories to death in cases of hanging is still debated today. ..
- Potier S, Sénécal J, Chabot J, Psarropoulou C, Descarries L. A pentylenetetrazole-induced generalized seizure in early life enhances the efficacy of muscarinic receptor coupling to G-protein in hippocampus and neocortex of adult rat. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:1828-36 pubmed..By analogy, such a mechanism could account for the susceptibility to epilepsy of human adults having suffered from prolonged convulsions in early life. ..
- Hamdan F, Myers C, Cossette P, Lemay P, Spiegelman D, Laporte A, et al. High Rate of Recurrent De Novo Mutations in Developmental and Epileptic Encephalopathies. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:664-685 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these DNMs were more frequently recurrent than those identified in ID series. These observations indicate that the genetic landscape of DEE might be different from that of ID without epilepsy. ..
- Cossette P, Loukas A, Lafreniere R, Rochefort D, Harvey Girard E, Ragsdale D, et al. Functional characterization of the D188V mutation in neuronal voltage-gated sodium channel causing generalized epilepsy with febrile seizures plus (GEFS). Epilepsy Res. 2003;53:107-17 pubmed..These data suggest that this specific effect on sodium channel function could be a general mechanism in the pathophysiology of epilepsies caused by mutations in sodium channels in humans. ..
- Gadhoumi K, Lina J, Gotman J. Seizure prediction in patients with mesial temporal lobe epilepsy using EEG measures of state similarity. Clin Neurophysiol. 2013;124:1745-54 pubmed publisher..Seizures are predicted above chance in 41% of patients using measures of state similarity. Sensitivity and specificity levels are potentially interesting for closed-loop seizure control applications. ..
- Al Macki N, Miller S, Hall N, Shevell M. The spectrum of abnormal neurologic outcomes subsequent to term intrapartum asphyxia. Pediatr Neurol. 2009;41:399-405 pubmed publisher..It appears that a more severe grade of apparent initial clinical injury is more likely to result in an outcome featuring cerebral palsy. ..
- Salami P, Levesque M, Gotman J, Avoli M. A comparison between automated detection methods of high-frequency oscillations (80-500 Hz) during seizures. J Neurosci Methods. 2012;211:265-71 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that method 3 could be used for automated and reliable detection of HFOs on large data sets containing multiple channels during the ictal period. ..
- KÃ¶hling R, D Antuono M, Benini R, de Guzman P, Avoli M. Hypersynchronous ictal onset in the perirhinal cortex results from dynamic weakening in inhibition. Neurobiol Dis. 2016;87:1-10 pubmed publisher..3mM) with the spike immediately preceding ictal onset. Our findings indicate that hypersynchronous seizure onset in rat PC is caused by dynamic weakening of GABAA receptor signaling presumably resulting from [K(+)]o accumulation. ..
- Avoli M, de Curtis M, KÃ¶hling R. Does interictal synchronization influence ictogenesis?. Neuropharmacology. 2013;69:37-44 pubmed publisher..This article is part of the Special Issue entitled 'New Targets and Approaches to the Treatment of Epilepsy'. ..
- Ratnakumari L, Qureshi I, Butterworth R. Evidence for cholinergic neuronal loss in brain in congenital ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency. Neurosci Lett. 1994;178:63-5 pubmed..Possible pathogenetic mechanisms responsible for the cholinergic neuronal loss in congenital OTC deficiency include neurotoxic effects of ammonia and accumulation of quinolinic acid. ..
- Yankovsky A, Veilleux M, Dubeau F, Andermann F. Post-ictal rage and aggression: a video-EEG study. Epileptic Disord. 2005;7:143-7 pubmed..Developmental abnormalities with periventricular, nodular heterotopia in the region of the trigones and inferomesial temporal areas are considered to be causally related to his retardation and epilepsy. [Published with video sequences]. ..
- LÃ©vesque M, Herrington R, Hamidi S, Avoli M. Interneurons spark seizure-like activity in the entorhinal cortex. Neurobiol Dis. 2016;87:91-101 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate the prominent involvement of interneurons in interictal discharge generation and in the transition to LVF ictal activity in this in vitro model of epileptiform synchronization. ..
- Bennett J, Tan T, Alcantara D, TÃ©trault M, Timms A, Jensen D, et al. Mosaic Activating Mutations in FGFR1 Cause Encephalocraniocutaneous Lipomatosis. Am J Hum Genet. 2016;98:579-587 pubmed publisher..In addition to identifying the molecular etiology of ECCL, our results support the emerging overlap between mosaic developmental disorders and tumorigenesis. ..