Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mesenchymal stem cells in Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Locale: Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Topic: mesenchymal stem cells
- Mwale F, Girard Lauriault P, Wang H, Lerouge S, Antoniou J, Wertheimer M. Suppression of genes related to hypertrophy and osteogenesis in committed human mesenchymal stem cells cultured on novel nitrogen-rich plasma polymer coatings. Tissue Eng. 2006;12:2639-47 pubmed
- Eliopoulos N, Zhao J, Forner K, Birman E, Young Y, Bouchentouf M. Erythropoietin gene-enhanced marrow mesenchymal stromal cells decrease cisplatin-induced kidney injury and improve survival of allogeneic mice. Mol Ther. 2011;19:2072-83 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study demonstrates that Epo gene-enhanced MSCs exert significant tissue protective effects in allogeneic mice with AKI, and supports the potential use of gene-enhanced cells as universal donors in acute injury. ..
- Zhang Z, Tong J, Lu R, Scutt A, Goltzman D, Miao D. Therapeutic potential of non-adherent BM-derived mesenchymal stem cells in tissue regeneration. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009;43:69-81 pubmed publisher..In an appropriate microenvironment, they can adhere, proliferate and differentiate into specialized cells of target tissues and thus function in damaged tissue regeneration and repair...
- Coutu D, Francois M, Galipeau J. Inhibition of cellular senescence by developmentally regulated FGF receptors in mesenchymal stem cells. Blood. 2011;117:6801-12 pubmed publisher..FGFRs may therefore be involved in MSC self-renewal. In summary, FGFR1/2 are developmentally regulated markers of MSCs in vivo and in vitro and are important in maintaining MSC stemness. ..
- Duque G, Huang D, Macoritto M, Rivas D, Yang X, Ste Marie L, et al. Autocrine regulation of interferon gamma in mesenchymal stem cells plays a role in early osteoblastogenesis. Stem Cells. 2009;27:550-8 pubmed publisher..These data therefore support a new role for IFNgamma as an autocrine regulator of hMSC differentiation and as a potential new target of bone-forming cells in vivo. ..
- Li J, Khavandgar Z, Lin S, Murshed M. Lithium chloride attenuates BMP-2 signaling and inhibits osteogenic differentiation through a novel WNT/GSK3- independent mechanism. Bone. 2011;48:321-31 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests the presence of a novel GSK3/WNT-independent mechanism of lithium action during the early stages of osteogenic differentiation...
- Petit A, Wang H, Girard Lauriault P, Wertheimer M, Antoniou J, Mwale F. Novel insights into the mechanism of decreased expression of type X collagen in human mesenchymal stem cells from patients with osteoarthritis cultured on nitrogen-rich plasma polymers: implication of cyclooxygenase-1. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2010;94:744-50 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that PPE:N surfaces inhibit COL10A1 expression via the suppression of COX-1. ..
- Rafei M, Campeau P, Aguilar Mahecha A, Buchanan M, Williams P, Birman E, et al. Mesenchymal stromal cells ameliorate experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by inhibiting CD4 Th17 T cells in a CC chemokine ligand 2-dependent manner. J Immunol. 2009;182:5994-6002 pubmed publisher..In summary, this is the first report of MSCs modulating EAE biology via the paracrine conversion of CCL2 from agonist to antagonist of CD4 Th17 cell function. ..
- Akter R, Rivas D, Geneau G, Drissi H, Duque G. Effect of lamin A/C knockdown on osteoblast differentiation and function. J Bone Miner Res. 2009;24:283-93 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results indicate that lamin A/C is a new factor needed for osteoblast differentiation that plays an important role in the cellular mechanisms of age-related bone loss. ..
- Mwale F, Stachura D, Roughley P, Antoniou J. Limitations of using aggrecan and type X collagen as markers of chondrogenesis in mesenchymal stem cell differentiation. J Orthop Res. 2006;24:1791-8 pubmed..Thus, caution must be exercised when using aggrecan and type X collagen as markers for chondrogenesis and chondrocyte hypertrophy, respectively, in association with stem cell differentiation from this source. ..
- Zhang Z, Iglesias D, Eliopoulos N, El Kares R, Chu L, Romagnani P, et al. A variant OSR1 allele which disturbs OSR1 mRNA expression in renal progenitor cells is associated with reduction of newborn kidney size and function. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:4167-74 pubmed publisher..006) versus newborns with wild-type alleles. Although only two subjects had PAX2(rs11599825)(A) and OSR1(rs12329305)(T) alleles, kidney size was reduced by 27% and cystatin C was increased by 14% versus wild-types (P= NS). ..
- Darlington P, Boivin M, Renoux C, Francois M, Galipeau J, Freedman M, et al. Reciprocal Th1 and Th17 regulation by mesenchymal stem cells: Implication for multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2010;68:540-5 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the importance of further preclinical work and immune-monitoring to define hMSC effects on disease-relevant immune responses under variable conditions...
- Romieu Mourez R, Francois M, Abate A, Boivin M, Birman E, Bailey D, et al. Mesenchymal stromal cells expressing ErbB-2/neu elicit protective antibreast tumor immunity in vivo, which is paradoxically suppressed by IFN-gamma and tumor necrosis factor-alpha priming. Cancer Res. 2010;70:7742-7 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that whereas MSC could effectively serve as antigen-presenting cells to induce immune responses aimed at tumor autoantigens, these functions are critically regulated by IFN-? and TNF-?...
- Rafei M, Hsieh J, Fortier S, Li M, Yuan S, Birman E, et al. Mesenchymal stromal cell-derived CCL2 suppresses plasma cell immunoglobulin production via STAT3 inactivation and PAX5 induction. Blood. 2008;112:4991-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, MSCs may play a role in modulating Ig production by PCs via MMP processing of CCL2 and may represent an appealing cell therapy approach for pathologic humoral responses. ..
- Romieu Mourez R, Francois M, Boivin M, Stagg J, Galipeau J. Regulation of MHC class II expression and antigen processing in murine and human mesenchymal stromal cells by IFN-gamma, TGF-beta, and cell density. J Immunol. 2007;179:1549-58 pubmed..This suggests that the IFN-gamma-induced APC features of MSC can be modulated by TGF-beta, serum factors, and cell density in vitro, although not in the same way in mouse and human MSC, via their convergent effects on CIITA expression. ..