Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Locale: Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Publications1032 found, 100 shown here
- Kibar Z, Torban E, McDearmid J, Reynolds A, Berghout J, Mathieu M, et al. Mutations in VANGL1 associated with neural-tube defects. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:1432-7 pubmed..In a protein-protein interaction assay V239I abolished interaction of VANGL1 protein with its binding partners, disheveled-1, -2, and -3. These findings implicate VANGL1 as a risk factor in human neural-tube defects. ..
- Nielsen T. Felt presence: paranoid delusion or hallucinatory social imagery?. Conscious Cogn. 2007;16:975-83; discussion 984-91 pubmed..other-presence) of a mirror neuron system is considered...
- Postuma R, Gagnon J, Vendette M, Charland K, Montplaisir J. Manifestations of Parkinson disease differ in association with REM sleep behavior disorder. Mov Disord. 2008;23:1665-72 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the pathophysiology of RBD and nonmotor manifestations of PD, particularly autonomic dysfunction, are linked. ..
- Rauch F, Schoenau E. Peripheral quantitative computed tomography of the proximal radius in young subjects--new reference data and interpretation of results. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2008;8:217-26 pubmed..These data should facilitate the clinical use of peripheral quantitative computed tomography in young subjects...
- Malak R, Bouthillier A, Carmant L, Cossette P, Giard N, Saint Hilaire J, et al. Microsurgery of epileptic foci in the insular region. J Neurosurg. 2009;110:1153-63 pubmed publisher..To the authors' knowledge, this is the first series of insulectomies predominantly performed for refractory epilepsy since those performed by Penfield. ..
- Langsetmo L, Goltzman D, Kovacs C, Adachi J, Hanley D, Kreiger N, et al. Repeat low-trauma fractures occur frequently among men and women who have osteopenic BMD. J Bone Miner Res. 2009;24:1515-22 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, those with a combination of prior low-trauma fracture and another risk factor were at especially high risk of future fracture. ..
- Hardy S, Jacques P, Gévry N, Forest A, Fortin M, Laflamme L, et al. The euchromatic and heterochromatic landscapes are shaped by antagonizing effects of transcription on H2A.Z deposition. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000687 pubmed publisher..These results show how chromatin structure and transcription can antagonize each other, therefore shaping chromatin and controlling gene expression. ..
- Salimpoor V, Benovoy M, Longo G, Cooperstock J, Zatorre R. The rewarding aspects of music listening are related to degree of emotional arousal. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7487 pubmed publisher..These results have broader implications by demonstrating that strongly felt emotions could be rewarding in themselves in the absence of a physically tangible reward or a specific functional goal. ..
- Berry C, Noble S, Grégoire J, Ibrahim R, Levesquie S, Lavoie M, et al. Glycaemic status influences the nature and severity of coronary artery disease. Diabetologia. 2010;53:652-8 pubmed..These observations support the hypothesis that better glycaemic control may favourably influence CAD in patients with abnormal glucose tolerance or diabetes. ..
- Rio Frio T, Haanpää M, Pouchet C, Pylkäs K, Vuorela M, Tischkowitz M, et al. Mutation analysis of the gene encoding the PALB2-binding protein MRG15 in BRCA1/2-negative breast cancer families. J Hum Genet. 2010;55:842-3 pubmed publisher..Thus, it seems unlikely that any constitutional changes in MRG15 confer an increased risk for breast cancer. ..
- Cartier A, Sastre J. Clinical assessment of occupational asthma and its differential diagnosis. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2011;31:717-28, vi pubmed publisher..The differential diagnosis of OA is also reviewed, including work-exacerbated asthma, eosinophilic bronchitis, hyperventilation syndrome, vocal cord dysfunction, bronchiolitis, and other causes of dyspnea or cough. ..
- Yadav R, Shah A, Loeb J, Swamy M, Agarwal R. Morphology-based automatic seizure detector for intracerebral EEG recordings. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2012;59:1871-81 pubmed publisher..9%. The new system detected a wide range of seizure patterns that included rhythmic and nonrhythmic seizures of varying length, including those missed by the experts. We also compare the proposed system with a popular commercial system. ..
- Stevens L, Cooper J, Raemer D, Schneider R, Frankel A, Berry W, et al. Educational program in crisis management for cardiac surgery teams including high realism simulation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;144:17-24 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive team training using simulation and a whole-unit interactive workshop can be successfully deployed for experienced cardiac surgery teams with demonstrable benefits in participant's perception of team performance. ..
- Ma W, St Jacques B, Duarte P. Targeting pain mediators induced by injured nerve-derived COX2 and PGE2 to treat neuropathic pain. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2012;16:527-40 pubmed publisher..Its treatment is a challenging and unmet medical need. It is generally accepted that inflammatory mediators over-produced in injured nerves play a crucial role in the initiation and maintenance of NeP...
- Sahebkar A, Serban M, Mikhailidis D, Toth P, Muntner P, Ursoniu S, et al. Head-to-head comparison of statins versus fibrates in reducing plasma fibrinogen concentrations: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pharmacol Res. 2016;103:236-52 pubmed publisher..According to these findings, mechanisms associated with fibrinogen metabolism might be responsible for the distinct effects of statins and fibrates in reducing cardiovascular endpoints. ..
- Hall J, Laslett L, Martel Pelletier J, Pelletier J, Abram F, Ding C, et al. Change in knee structure and change in tibiofemoral joint space width: a five year longitudinal population-based study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17:25 pubmed publisher..Since MRI examines cartilage directly while radiographs examine it indirectly, these results cast doubt on the validity of using JSW as a proxy measure of cartilage loss. ..
- Clark M, Zhong W, Keng T, Storms R, Ouellette B, Barton A, et al. The YAL017 gene on the left arm of chromosome I of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes a putative serine/threonine protein kinase. Yeast. 1993;9:543-9 pubmed..Gene disruption of YAL017 indicates that it is non-essential for growth on glucose. ..
- Zhang F, Nagy Kovács E, Featherstone M. Murine hoxd4 expression in the CNS requires multiple elements including a retinoic acid response element. Mech Dev. 2000;96:79-89 pubmed..Three additional regions were also shown to control transgene expression in neurectoderm, establishing that multiple elements constitute the Hoxd4 neural enhancer. ..
- Boivin M. Socioeconomic impact of irritable bowel syndrome in Canada. Can J Gastroenterol. 2001;15 Suppl B:8B-11B pubmed..Exploring the nature of the expenses associated with IBS and understanding how treatment options may affect these costs are essential to reducing its financial burden. ..
- Seidah N, Benjannet S, Wickham L, Marcinkiewicz J, Jasmin S, Stifani S, et al. The secretory proprotein convertase neural apoptosis-regulated convertase 1 (NARC-1): liver regeneration and neuronal differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:928-33 pubmed..5 telencephalon cells led to enhanced recruitment of undifferentiated neural progenitor cells into the neuronal lineage, suggesting that NARC-1 is implicated in the differentiation of cortical neurons. ..
- Vermes E, Tardif J, Bourassa M, Racine N, Levesque S, White M, et al. Enalapril decreases the incidence of atrial fibrillation in patients with left ventricular dysfunction: insight from the Studies Of Left Ventricular Dysfunction (SOLVD) trials. Circulation. 2003;107:2926-31 pubmed..22; 95% CI, 0.11 to 0.44; P<0.0001). Treatment with the ACEi enalapril markedly reduces the risk of development of atrial fibrillation in patients with left ventricular dysfunction. ..
- D Amour P, Brossard J, Rousseau L, Nguyen Yamamoto L, Nassif E, Lazure C, et al. Structure of non-(1-84) PTH fragments secreted by parathyroid glands in primary and secondary hyperparathyroidism. Kidney Int. 2005;68:998-1007 pubmed..We wanted to determine the N structure of non-(1-84) PTH fragments...
- Alrasadi K, Ruel I, Marcil M, Genest J. Functional mutations of the ABCA1 gene in subjects of French-Canadian descent with HDL deficiency. Atherosclerosis. 2006;188:281-91 pubmed..Interestingly, in two families studied, mutations in the ABCA1 gene did not segregate with the lipid efflux defect, suggesting that other proteins are involved in the ABCA1-mediated cellular lipid efflux...
- Paz S, Sun Q, Nakhaei P, Romieu Mourez R, Goubau D, Julkunen I, et al. Induction of IRF-3 and IRF-7 phosphorylation following activation of the RIG-I pathway. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2006;52:17-28 pubmed..These studies link RIG-I sensing of viral RNA to downstream kinase signaling and phosphorylation of IRF-3 and IRF-7 via the MAVS/IPS/VISA/Cardif adaptor. ..
- Torrisani J, Unterberger A, Tendulkar S, Shikimi K, Szyf M. AUF1 cell cycle variations define genomic DNA methylation by regulation of DNMT1 mRNA stability. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:395-410 pubmed..In this study, we demonstrate a link between AUF1, the RNA degradation machinery, and maintenance of the epigenetic integrity of the cell. ..
- Mac Thiong J, Labelle H. Classification of pediatric lumbosacral spondylolisthesis. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006;123:141-5 pubmed..This new classification results in good intra- and inter-observer agreement. Further studies with observers not involved in the design of the classification are however needed in order to confirm the relevance of the classification. ..
- Klein H, Garneau L, Banderali U, Simoes M, Parent L, Sauve R. Structural determinants of the closed KCa3.1 channel pore in relation to channel gating: results from a substituted cysteine accessibility analysis. J Gen Physiol. 2007;129:299-315 pubmed
- Lacasse A, Rey E, Ferreira E, Morin C, Berard A. Validity of a modified Pregnancy-Unique Quantification of Emesis and Nausea (PUQE) scoring index to assess severity of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008;198:71.e1-7 pubmed publisher..71). Severity of NVP that was measured by the new modified index was associated with QOL. We are confident that, on the basis of the modified-PUQE, the relationship between QOL and severity of NVP justify the use of this new index. ..
- Bouron Dal Soglio D, Truong F, Fetni R, Hazourli S, Champagne J, Oligny L, et al. A B-cell lymphoma-associated chromosomal translocation in a progressive transformation of germinal center. Hum Pathol. 2008;39:292-7 pubmed publisher..This finding offers an insight into a possible tumorigenic pathway from PTGC to NLPHD. Further studies will be required to confirm this hypothesis. ..
- Kwan Tat S, Pelletier J, Lajeunesse D, Fahmi H, Lavigne M, Martel Pelletier J. The differential expression of osteoprotegerin (OPG) and receptor activator of nuclear factor kappaB ligand (RANKL) in human osteoarthritic subchondral bone osteoblasts is an indicator of the metabolic state of these disease cells. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2008;26:295-304 pubmed
- Sellam A, Hogues H, Askew C, Tebbji F, van het Hoog M, Lavoie H, et al. Experimental annotation of the human pathogen Candida albicans coding and noncoding transcribed regions using high-resolution tiling arrays. Genome Biol. 2010;11:R71 pubmed publisher..In summary, we provide a comprehensive expression atlas that covers relevant C. albicans pathogenic developmental stages in addition to the discovery of new ORF and non-coding genetic elements. ..
- Tardif J, L Allier P, Gregoire J, Ibrahim R, McFadden G, Kostuk W, et al. A randomized controlled, phase 2 trial of the viral serpin Serp-1 in patients with acute coronary syndromes undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;3:543-8 pubmed publisher..The significant reduction in myocardial damage biomarkers supports further assessment of Serp-1 in ACS patients undergoing stent deployment. URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00243308. ..
- Guney M, Zagury G. Heavy metals in toys and low-cost jewelry: critical review of U.S. and Canadian legislations and recommendations for testing. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:4265-74 pubmed publisher..A two-step management approach with mandatory testing of toys for total metal concentrations followed by voluntary bioaccessibility testing could be implemented. ..
- Zurita Rendón O, Shoubridge E. Early complex I assembly defects result in rapid turnover of the ND1 subunit. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:3815-24 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the four early CI assembly factors have non-redundant functions in the assembly of a module that docks and stabilizes newly synthesized ND1, nucleating assembly of the holoenzyme. ..
- Bazzan E, Saetta M, Turato G, Borroni E, Cancellieri C, Baraldo S, et al. Expression of the atypical chemokine receptor D6 in human alveolar macrophages in COPD. Chest. 2013;143:98-106 pubmed publisher..Upregulation of D6 in AMs could indicate that, besides its known scavenger activity in acute inflammation, D6 may have additional roles in chronic inflammatory conditions possibly promoting immune activation. ..
- Robert M, Zeng Y, Raymond B, Desfosse L, Mairey E, Tremblay J, et al. Efficacy and site-specificity of adenoviral vector integration mediated by the phage ?C31 integrase. Hum Gene Ther Methods. 2012;23:393-407 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, integration of HD mediated by ?C31-Int is an attractive alternative to engineer cells, because it permits site-specific integration of large DNA fragments with low genotoxicity. ..
- Hamadani F, Deckelbaum D, Sauvé A, Khwaja K, Razek T, Fata P. Abolishment of 24-hour continuous medical call duty in quebec: a quality of life survey of general surgical residents following implementation of the new work-hour restrictions. J Surg Educ. 2013;70:296-303 pubmed publisher..Results from this study demonstrate the exact opposite in a large majority of respondents, who report a poorer quality of life and a self-reported inability on their part to provide continuous and safe patient care. ..
- Dobkin P, Hutchinson T. Teaching mindfulness in medical school: where are we now and where are we going?. Med Educ. 2013;47:768-79 pubmed publisher..to teach mindfulness in the trajectory of a doctor's career? What format works best, when and for whom? How can what is learned be maintained over time? Should mindfulness training be integrated into the medical school core curriculum? ..
- Dogba M, Bedos C, Durigova M, Montpetit K, Wong T, Glorieux F, et al. The impact of severe osteogenesis imperfecta on the lives of young patients and their parents - a qualitative analysis. BMC Pediatr. 2013;13:153 pubmed publisher..It also has some practical implications for the development of effective support systems for patients with severe OI and their families. ..
- Preußner M, Wilhelmi I, Schultz A, Finkernagel F, Michel M, Moroy T, et al. Rhythmic U2af26 alternative splicing controls PERIOD1 stability and the circadian clock in mice. Mol Cell. 2014;54:651-62 pubmed publisher..These data suggest light-induced U2af26 alternative splicing to be a buffering mechanism that limits PERIOD1 induction, thus stabilizing the circadian clock against abnormal changes in light:dark conditions. ..
- Punithakumar K, Ben Ayed I, Afshin M, Goela A, Islam A, Li S, et al. Detecting left ventricular impaired relaxation in cardiac MRI using moving mesh correspondences. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2016;124:58-66 pubmed publisher..70 and a Gwet's AC1 coefficient of 0.70. Semi-automated assessment of the left ventricular (LV) diastolic function using anatomical short-axis cine CMR images provides mitral inflow measurements comparable to Doppler-Echocardiography. ..
- Lepeytre F, Ghannoum M, Ammann H, Madore F, Troyanov S, Goupil R, et al. Formulas for Calculated Osmolarity and Osmolal Gap: A Study of Diagnostic Accuracy. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:347-356 pubmed publisher..0. Our simplified formula to precisely calculate osmolarity yielded improved diagnostic accuracy for suspected toxic alcohol exposures than previously published formulas. ..
- Manivong P, Harper S, Strumpf E. The contribution of excise cigarette taxes on the decline in youth smoking in Canada during the time of the Federal Tobacco Control Strategy (2002-2012). Can J Public Health. 2017;108:e117-e123 pubmed publisher..00 for only three provinces. Thus, our findings suggest that factors driving down tobacco use among youths in all provinces appear to outweigh any impact of small tax increases at already high tax levels. ..
- Filion M, Filion B, Reader S, Menard S, Phillips N. Modulation of interleukin-12 synthesis by DNA lacking the CpG motif and present in a mycobacterial cell wall complex. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2000;49:325-34 pubmed
- Gingras D, Michaud M, Di Tomasso G, Béliveau E, Nyalendo C, Beliveau R. Sphingosine-1-phosphate induces the association of membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase with p130Cas in endothelial cells. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:399-404 pubmed publisher..The interaction of MT1-MMP with p130Cas at the cell periphery suggests the existence of a close interplay between pericellular proteolysis and signaling pathways involved in EC migration. ..
- St Arnaud R, Messerlian S, Moir J, Omdahl J, Glorieux F. The 25-hydroxyvitamin D 1-alpha-hydroxylase gene maps to the pseudovitamin D-deficiency rickets (PDDR) disease locus. J Bone Miner Res. 1997;12:1552-9 pubmed..The availability of a cloned sequence for 1alpha-OHase generates novel tools for the study of the molecular etiology of PDDR, and will allow the investigation of other disturbances of vitamin D metabolism. ..
- Fallone C. Epidemiology of the antibiotic resistance of Helicobacter pylori in Canada. Can J Gastroenterol. 2000;14:879-82 pubmed..These rates appear to be consistent across the different regions studied in Canada, but many regions have not been studied. ..
- Szaszi K, Paulsen A, Szabo E, Numata M, Grinstein S, Orlowski J. Clathrin-mediated endocytosis and recycling of the neuron-specific Na+/H+ exchanger NHE5 isoform. Regulation by phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase and the actin cytoskeleton. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42623-32 pubmed..These observations demonstrate that NHE5 is localized to the recycling endosomal pathway and is dynamically regulated by phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase and by the state of F-actin assembly. ..
- Goffin J, Chappuis P, Begin L, Wong N, Brunet J, Hamel N, et al. Impact of germline BRCA1 mutations and overexpression of p53 on prognosis and response to treatment following breast carcinoma: 10-year follow up data. Cancer. 2003;97:527-36 pubmed..001). ..
- Morinville V, Perrault J. Genetic disorders of the pancreas. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2003;32:763-87 pubmed..All of us may now look forward to the application of this incredible knowledge to the therapeutic solutions so eagerly awaited. ..
- Pollak M, Schernhammer E, Hankinson S. Insulin-like growth factors and neoplasia. Nat Rev Cancer. 2004;4:505-18 pubmed
- Opatrny L, Prichard R, Snell L, MacLean J. Death related to albendazole-induced pancytopenia: case report and review. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005;72:291-4 pubmed..Frequent serial monitoring of blood counts and cessation of medication with any evidence of marrow toxicity in such patients is warranted. ..
- Luo L, Petit A, Antoniou J, Zukor D, Huk O, Liu R, et al. Effect of cobalt and chromium ions on MMP-1, TIMP-1, and TNF-alpha gene expression in human U937 macrophages: a role for tyrosine kinases. Biomaterials. 2005;26:5587-93 pubmed..Together, these findings indicate that activation of MMP-1, TIMP-1, and TNF-alpha by Co2+ and Cr3+ ions is regulated by tyrosine kinases. ..
- Wittich W, Overbury O, Kapusta M, Watanabe D, Faubert J. Macular hole: perceptual filling-in across central scotomas. Vision Res. 2006;46:4064-70 pubmed..Examination of MH diameters in relation to the line perceptions indicated that the shape of the perceived line can be explained at the retinal level, while its continuity must be perceptually created at the cortical level. ..
- Synnott A. The beauty mystique. Facial Plast Surg. 2006;22:163-74 pubmed..The mystique and the myth have their value and their limits. ..
- O Connor K, Stip E, Pélissier M, Aardema F, Guay S, Gaudette G, et al. Treating delusional disorder: a comparison of cognitive-behavioural therapy and attention placebo control. Can J Psychiatry. 2007;52:182-90 pubmed..When compared with APC, CBT produced more impact on the MADS dimensions for Affect Relating to Belief, Strength of Conviction, and Positive Actions on Beliefs. ..
- Mak H, Peschard P, Lin T, Naujokas M, Zuo D, Park M. Oncogenic activation of the Met receptor tyrosine kinase fusion protein, Tpr-Met, involves exclusion from the endocytic degradative pathway. Oncogene. 2007;26:7213-21 pubmed..We show that transformation by Tpr-Met is in part dependent on its ability to escape normal downregulatory mechanisms. This provides a paradigm for many RTK oncoproteins activated following chromosomal translocation. ..
- Malik S, McGlone F, Bedrossian D, Dagher A. Ghrelin modulates brain activity in areas that control appetitive behavior. Cell Metab. 2008;7:400-9 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that metabolic signals such as ghrelin may favor food consumption by enhancing the hedonic and incentive responses to food-related cues. ..
- Frey B, Rosa Neto P, Lubarsky S, Diksic M. Correlation between serotonin synthesis and 5-HT1A receptor binding in the living human brain: a combined alpha-[11C]MT and [18F]MPPF positron emission tomography study. Neuroimage. 2008;42:850-7 pubmed publisher..The combination of [(18)F]MPPF and alpha-[(11)C]MT PET offers a means to investigate key determinants of 5-HT neurotransmission under physiological and psychopathological conditions in the human brain in vivo. ..
- Suissa S, Dell Aniello S, Ernst P. Effectiveness of combination therapies in asthma: an observational study. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2009;22:194-8 pubmed publisher..We found similar effectiveness for the budesonide/formoterol and fluticasone/salmeterol combinations. Such equivalence appears to be obtained at lower relative doses of inhaled corticosteroids with the budesonide/formoterol combination. ..
- Ge B, Pokholok D, Kwan T, Grundberg E, Morcos L, Verlaan D, et al. Global patterns of cis variation in human cells revealed by high-density allelic expression analysis. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1216-22 pubmed publisher..The dense collection of associations will facilitate large-scale isolation of cis-regulatory SNPs. ..
- Karska Wysocki B, Bazo M, Smoragiewicz W. Antibacterial activity of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus casei against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Microbiol Res. 2010;165:674-86 pubmed publisher..In the latter instance, we were able to demonstrate that the direct interaction of lactic acid bacteria and MRSA in such a mixture led to the elimination of 99% of the MRSA cells after 24 h of their incubation at 37°C. ..
- Mui M, Roopchand D, Gentry M, Hallberg R, Vogel J, Branton P. Adenovirus protein E4orf4 induces premature APCCdc20 activation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by a protein phosphatase 2A-dependent mechanism. J Virol. 2010;84:4798-809 pubmed publisher..We propose that E4orf4, being a Cdc55-specific inhibitor of PP2A, demonstrates the role of PP2A(Cdc55) in regulating APC(Cdc20) activity. ..
- Sasseville L, Cuervo J, Lapointe J, Noskov S. The structural pathway for water permeation through sodium-glucose cotransporters. Biophys J. 2011;101:1887-95 pubmed publisher..These results provide groundwork for understanding the structural basis of cotransporter water permeability. ..
- Groleau P, Steiger H, Joober R, Bruce K, Israel M, Badawi G, et al. Dopamine-system genes, childhood abuse, and clinical manifestations in women with Bulimia-Spectrum Disorders. J Psychiatr Res. 2012;46:1139-45 pubmed publisher..e., in interaction with traumatic childhood experiences), to variations in the presentation of comorbid traits and, possibly, of bulimic symptoms. ..
- Castonguay A, Doucet C, Juhas M, Maysinger D. New ruthenium(II)-letrozole complexes as anticancer therapeutics. J Med Chem. 2012;55:8799-806 pubmed publisher..Results from the combination of 5·Let (or 4) with 3-methyladenine (3-MA) or with curcumin, respectively, revealed that the resultant cancer cell death likely involves 5·Let-induced autophagy. ..
- Osborne M, Volpon L, Kornblatt J, Culjkovic Kraljacic B, Baguet A, Borden K. eIF4E3 acts as a tumor suppressor by utilizing an atypical mode of methyl-7-guanosine cap recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3877-82 pubmed publisher..Taken together, there is more structural plasticity in cap recognition than previously thought, and this is physiologically relevant. ..
- Routy J, Mehraj V, Cao W. HIV immunotherapy comes of age: implications for prevention, treatment and cure. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2016;12:91-4 pubmed publisher..The approaches of implementing an effective vaccine to prevent infection and inhibition of immune activation with breakage of viral latency followed by vaccination should lead to an HIV-free generation. ..
- Benyoucef A, Palii C, Wang C, Porter C, Chu A, Dai F, et al. UTX inhibition as selective epigenetic therapy against TAL1-driven T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes Dev. 2016;30:508-21 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the first opportunity to develop personalized epigenetic therapy for T-ALL patients. ..
- Kosinski J, Mosalaganti S, von Appen A, Teimer R, DiGuilio A, Wan W, et al. Molecular architecture of the inner ring scaffold of the human nuclear pore complex. Science. 2016;352:363-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that despite obvious differences in morphology and composition, the higher-order structure of the inner and outer rings is unexpectedly similar. ..
- Tonin P, Ehrenborg E, Lenoir G, Feunteun J, Lynch H, Morgan K, et al. The human insulin-like growth factor-binding protein 4 gene maps to chromosome region 17q12-q21.1 and is close to the gene for hereditary breast-ovarian cancer. Genomics. 1993;18:414-7 pubmed..IGFBP4 is, however, one of the closest known centromeric markers for BRCA1; the estimated recombination fraction is 0.015. IGFBP4 and D17S579 together define a 2.8-cM interval that contains BRCA1. ..
- Cardinal E, Dussault R, Kaplan P. Imaging and differential diagnosis of masses within a joint. Can Assoc Radiol J. 1994;45:363-72 pubmed..The authors discuss the evaluation of masses within a joint on the basis of plain film analysis, as well as the contribution of additional imaging techniques to the differential diagnosis...
- Paudel H. Phosphorylation by neuronal cdc2-like protein kinase promotes dimerization of Tau protein in vitro. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:28328-34 pubmed..Mandelkow, E.-M., Biernat, J., and Mandelkow, E. (1995) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 92, 8463-8467). ..
- Chan G, Tchervenkov J, Cantarovich M, Alpert E, Deschenes M, Ergina P, et al. Veno-atrial bypass for the operative treatment of septic gas gangrene secondary to delayed hepatic artery thrombosis. Am J Transplant. 2003;3:760-3 pubmed..The use of extra-corporeal veno-atrial bypass, by isolating the septic source, allowed for graft hepatectomy and successful re-transplantation in the second of these reported cases...
- Abu Baker A, Laganiere S, Fan X, Laganiere J, Brais B, Rouleau G. Cytoplasmic targeting of mutant poly(A)-binding protein nuclear 1 suppresses protein aggregation and toxicity in oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy. Traffic. 2005;6:766-79 pubmed..Our results indicate that the nuclear localization of mutant PABPN1 is crucial to OPMD pathogenesis...
- Richard S, Torabi N, Franco G, Tremblay G, Chen T, Vogel G, et al. Ablation of the Sam68 RNA binding protein protects mice from age-related bone loss. PLoS Genet. 2005;1:e74 pubmed
- Bénar C, Grova C, Kobayashi E, Bagshaw A, Aghakhani Y, Dubeau F, et al. EEG-fMRI of epileptic spikes: concordance with EEG source localization and intracranial EEG. Neuroimage. 2006;30:1161-70 pubmed..This could reflect an increase of metabolism linked to the presence of slow waves, which suggests that fMRI is a new source of information on the mechanisms of spike generation. ..
- Yu J, Kagan R, Verreault N, Nicolas N, Joseph L, St Pierre Y, et al. Accidental ingestions in children with peanut allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006;118:466-72 pubmed..Accidental exposure to peanut has been reported to occur frequently. Total avoidance of peanut is difficult because of its widespread use, manufacturing and labeling errors, utensil contamination, and label misinterpretation...
- Mishara B, Chagnon F, Daigle M, Balan B, Raymond S, Marcoux I, et al. Which helper behaviors and intervention styles are related to better short-term outcomes in telephone crisis intervention? Results from a Silent Monitoring Study of Calls to the U.S. 1-800-SUICIDE Network. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2007;37:308-21 pubmed
- Charlin B, Boshuizen H, Custers E, Feltovich P. Scripts and clinical reasoning. Med Educ. 2007;41:1178-84 pubmed..Theory raises questions about how illness scripts develop and are refined with clinical experience. It also provides a framework to assist their acquisition. ..
- Durante C. Bioethics in a pluralistic society: bioethical methodology in lieu of moral diversity. Med Health Care Philos. 2009;12:35-47 pubmed publisher..It will be argued that these new methodological insights are able to overcome the problems facing other methodologies and may provide a viable means for adequately addressing issues of pluralism in bioethics. ..
- Iatan I, Alrasadi K, Ruel I, Alwaili K, Genest J. Effect of ABCA1 mutations on risk for myocardial infarction. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2008;10:413-26 pubmed..Nevertheless, genomic screening for complex diseases, such as coronary heart disease, and HDL deficiency in particular, may not add additional information to that gained from conventional global cardiovascular risk stratification...
- Rajotte I, Hasanbasic I, Blostein M. Gas6-mediated signaling is dependent on the engagement of its gamma-carboxyglutamic acid domain with phosphatidylserine. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;376:70-3 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we propose a heretofore unknown function of Gla, where Gla-PS binding on the N-terminus of gas6 is necessary for a gas6 function mediated through its binding to Axl via its C-terminus. ..
- Turcotte R, Ferrone M, Isler M, Wong C. Outcomes in patients with popliteal sarcomas. Can J Surg. 2009;52:51-5 pubmed..Despite the high rate of microscopically positive margins, the local recurrence rate was 7%. Amputation did not prevent death. We found function to be good to excellent in most patients who had limb-salvaging surgery. ..
- Bell E, Mathieu G, Racine E. Preparing the ethical future of deep brain stimulation. Surg Neurol. 2009;72:577-86; discussion 586 pubmed publisher..A combination of approaches previously used in neuroethics, such as expert consensus workshops to establish ethical guidelines and public engagement to improve public understanding, may be fruitful to explore. ..