Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Locale: Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Moffett P, Dayo M, Reece M, McCormick M, Pelletier J. Characterization of msim, a murine homologue of the Drosophila sim transcription factor. Genomics. 1996;35:144-55 pubmed..The characteristics of the msim gene are consistent with its putative function as a transcriptional regulator. ..
- Ferguson K, Long H, Cameron S, Chang W, Rao Y. The conserved Ig superfamily member Turtle mediates axonal tiling in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2009;29:14151-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that extrinsic terminal-terminal recognition mediated by Tutl, acts in concert with intrinsic Activin-dependent control of terminal growth, to restrict the connection made by each R7 axon to a single column. ..
- Ashton Beaucage D, Udell C, Lavoie H, Baril C, Lefrancois M, Chagnon P, et al. The exon junction complex controls the splicing of MAPK and other long intron-containing transcripts in Drosophila. Cell. 2010;143:251-62 pubmed publisher..These results identify a role for the EJC in the splicing of a subset of transcripts and suggest that RAS/MAPK signaling depends on the regulation of MAPK levels by the EJC. ..
- Cermakian N, Sassone Corsi P. Environmental stimulus perception and control of circadian clocks. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2002;12:359-65 pubmed..However, alternative routes exist. Some peripheral clocks in mammals can be specifically entrained in an SCN-independent manner by restricting food during the light period. ..
- Roy F, Laberge G, Douziech M, Ferland McCollough D, Therrien M. KSR is a scaffold required for activation of the ERK/MAPK module. Genes Dev. 2002;16:427-38 pubmed..These findings suggest that KSR functions as a scaffold that assembles the RAF/MEK functional pair. ..
- Pare C, Suter B. Subcellular localization of Bic-D::GFP is linked to an asymmetric oocyte nucleus. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 12):2119-27 pubmed..The subcellular polarity defined by the Bic-D focus and the nuclear polarity marks some of the first steps in antero-posterior and subsequently in dorso-ventral polarity formation. ..
- Hernández G, Miron M, Han H, Liu N, Magescas J, Tettweiler G, et al. Mextli is a novel eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E-binding protein that promotes translation in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:2854-64 pubmed publisher..Our results support the idea that Mxt, like eIF4G, coordinates the assembly of translation initiation complexes, rendering Mxt the first example of evolutionary convergence of eIF4G function. ..
- Qureshi S, Lariviere L, Leveque G, Clermont S, Moore K, Gros P, et al. Endotoxin-tolerant mice have mutations in Toll-like receptor 4 (Tlr4). J Exp Med. 1999;189:615-25 pubmed..Identification of distinct mutations involving the same gene at the Lps locus in two different hyporesponsive inbred mouse strains strongly supports the hypothesis that altered Tlr4 function is responsible for endotoxin tolerance. ..
- Phelan M, Featherstone M. Distinct HOX N-terminal arm residues are responsible for specificity of DNA recognition by HOX monomers and HOX.PBX heterodimers. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:8635-43 pubmed..These data suggest that some DNA contacts made by the N-terminal arm are altered by interaction with PBX. ..
- Cafferty P, Yu L, Long H, Rao Y. Semaphorin-1a functions as a guidance receptor in the Drosophila visual system. J Neurosci. 2006;26:3999-4003 pubmed..The function of Sema1a in R-cell axon guidance absolutely requires its cytoplasmic domain. We propose that Sema1a functions as a receptor in regulating R-cell axon guidance in the Drosophila visual system. ..
- Wang P, Larouche M, Normandin K, Kachaner D, Mehsen H, Emery G, et al. Spatial regulation of greatwall by Cdk1 and PP2A-Tws in the cell cycle. Cell Cycle. 2016;15:528-39 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the cyclic changes in Gwl localization at mitotic entry and exit are directly regulated by the antagonistic cyclin B-Cdk1 and PP2A-Tws enzymes. ..
- Cavey M, Hijal S, Zhang X, Suter B. Drosophila valois encodes a divergent WD protein that is required for Vasa localization and Oskar protein accumulation. Development. 2005;132:459-68 pubmed..Based on the structure of Vls, the function of similar proteins in different systems and our phenotypic analysis, it seems likely that vls may promote posterior patterning by facilitating interactions between different molecules. ..
- Di Fruscio M, Styhler S, Wikholm E, Boulanger M, Lasko P, Richard S. Kep1 interacts genetically with dredd/caspase-8, and kep1 mutants alter the balance of dredd isoforms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:1814-9 pubmed..We observed increased levels of the beta isoform of dredd mRNA in kep1 mutants as compared with wild-type. Taken together, our results suggest that Kep1 regulates apoptosis by influencing the processing of dredd RNA. ..
- Zhan Y, Melian N, Pantoja M, Haines N, Ruohola Baker H, Bourque C, et al. Dystroglycan and mitochondrial ribosomal protein L34 regulate differentiation in the Drosophila eye. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10488 pubmed publisher..We discuss these findings in view of recent work implicating DG as a regulator of cell metabolism and its genetic interaction with mRpL34, a member of a class of mitochondrial genes essential for normal metabolic function. ..
- Swan A, Nguyen T, Suter B. Drosophila Lissencephaly-1 functions with Bic-D and dynein in oocyte determination and nuclear positioning. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:444-9 pubmed
- Rao Y, Pang P, Ruan W, Gunning D, Zipursky S. brakeless is required for photoreceptor growth-cone targeting in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:5966-71 pubmed..bks encodes a nuclear protein. We propose that it participates in a gene expression pathway regulating one or more growth cone components controlling R1-R6 targeting. ..
- Baril C, Therrien M. Alphabet, a Ser/Thr phosphatase of the protein phosphatase 2C family, negatively regulates RAS/MAPK signaling in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;294:232-45 pubmed..Finally, despite the relatively large size of the PP2C gene family in metazoans, this study represents only the second genetic characterization of a PP2C in these organisms. ..
- Iampietro C, Bergalet J, Wang X, Cody N, Chin A, Lefebvre F, et al. Developmentally regulated elimination of damaged nuclei involves a Chk2-dependent mechanism of mRNA nuclear retention. Dev Cell. 2014;29:468-81 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a layer of regulation within the DNA damage surveillance systems that safeguard genome integrity in eukaryotes. ..
- Liu N, Dansereau D, Lasko P. Fat facets interacts with vasa in the Drosophila pole plasm and protects it from degradation. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1905-9 pubmed..We present evidence that FAF interacts with VAS physically and reverses VAS ubiquitination, thereby stabilizing VAS in the pole plasm. ..
- Houalla T, Shi L, van Meyel D, Rao Y. Rab-mediated vesicular transport is required for neuronal positioning in the developing Drosophila visual system. Mol Brain. 2010;3:19 pubmed publisher..We propose that Rab5, Shi and Rab11 function together in a vesicular transport pathway for regulating R-cell positioning in the developing eye. ..
- Chicoine J, Benoit P, Gamberi C, Paliouras M, Simonelig M, Lasko P. Bicaudal-C recruits CCR4-NOT deadenylase to target mRNAs and regulates oogenesis, cytoskeletal organization, and its own expression. Dev Cell. 2007;13:691-704 pubmed..We conclude that Bic-C regulates expression of specific germline mRNAs by controlling their poly(A)-tail length. ..
- Neufeld S, Hibbert A, Chen B. Opposing roles of PlexinA and PlexinB in axonal branch and varicosity formation. Mol Brain. 2011;4:15 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate opposing roles for PlexinA and PlexinB in local wiring within a target region, where PlexinA functions to suppress excessive axonal branches and synapses and PlexinB facilitates axonal growth. ..
- Laplante C, Paul S, Beitel G, Nilson L. Echinoid regulates tracheal morphology and fusion cell fate in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2509-19 pubmed publisher..Tracheal-specific expression of Ed rescues these fusion defects, indicating that Ed acts in trachea to control fusion cell fate. ..
- Ball R, Warren Paquin M, Tsurudome K, Liao E, Elazzouzi F, Cavanagh C, et al. Retrograde BMP signaling controls synaptic growth at the NMJ by regulating trio expression in motor neurons. Neuron. 2010;66:536-49 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, we propose a model in which a retrograde BMP signal from the muscle modulates GTPase activity through transcriptional regulation of Rac GEF trio, thereby regulating the homeostasis of synaptic growth at the NMJ. ..
- Yu L, Zhou Y, Cheng S, Rao Y. Plexin a-semaphorin-1a reverse signaling regulates photoreceptor axon guidance in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2010;30:12151-6 pubmed publisher..Epistasis analysis suggests that PlexA functions upstream of semala. And PlexA and sema1a interact genetically with Rho1. We propose that PlexA regulates Semala reverse signaling in the Drosophila visual system...
- Patel M, Margaron Y, Fradet N, Yang Q, Wilkes B, Bouvier M, et al. An evolutionarily conserved autoinhibitory molecular switch in ELMO proteins regulates Rac signaling. Curr Biol. 2010;20:2021-7 pubmed publisher..Functionally, we found that ELMO mutants with impaired autoregulatory activity promote cell elongation. These results demonstrate an unsuspected level of regulation for Rac1 signaling via autoinhibition of ELMO. ..
- Swan A, Suter B. Role of Bicaudal-D in patterning the Drosophila egg chamber in mid-oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3577-86 pubmed..In addition, we show that Bic-D is required for the localization of specific mRNAs at both the anterior and posterior of the oocyte. ..
- Tsurudome K, Tsang K, Liao E, Ball R, Penney J, Yang J, et al. The Drosophila miR-310 cluster negatively regulates synaptic strength at the neuromuscular junction. Neuron. 2010;68:879-93 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that repression of Khc-73 by miR-310-313 cluster influences the establishment of normal synaptic homeostasis. Our findings establish a role for miRNAs in the regulation of neurotransmitter release. ..
- Ruan W, Unsain N, Desbarats J, Fon E, Barker P. Wengen, the sole tumour necrosis factor receptor in Drosophila, collaborates with moesin to control photoreceptor axon targeting during development. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60091 pubmed publisher..Thus, these studies reveal that the Wgn-Moe signaling cascade plays a key role in photoreceptor target field innervations through cell autonomous and non-cell autonomous mechanisms. ..
- Ferreira T, Ou Y, Li S, Giniger E, van Meyel D. Dendrite architecture organized by transcriptional control of the F-actin nucleator Spire. Development. 2014;141:650-60 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the Lola-Spir pathway is crucial for the spatial arrangement of branches within dendritic trees and for neural circuit function because it provides balanced control of the F-actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Styhler S, Nakamura A, Swan A, Suter B, Lasko P. vasa is required for GURKEN accumulation in the oocyte, and is involved in oocyte differentiation and germline cyst development. Development. 1998;125:1569-78 pubmed..However, GRK accumulation in the oocyte is severely reduced in the absence of vasa function, suggesting a function for VASA in activating gurken translation in wild-type ovaries. ..
- Gingras A, Raught B, Sonenberg N. Regulation of translation initiation by FRAP/mTOR. Genes Dev. 2001;15:807-26 pubmed
- Kugler J, Lem C, Lasko P. Reduced cul-5 activity causes aberrant follicular morphogenesis and germ cell loss in Drosophila oogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9048 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results implicate Cul-5/Gus ubiquitin E3 ligases in ovarian tissue morphogenesis, germ cell proliferation and maintenance of the ovarian germ cell population. ..
- Styhler S, Nakamura A, Lasko P. VASA localization requires the SPRY-domain and SOCS-box containing protein, GUSTAVUS. Dev Cell. 2002;3:865-76 pubmed..Therefore, GUS is essential for the posterior localization of VAS. However, gus is not required for the posterior localization of oskar (osk). Apparent gus orthologs are present in mammalian genomes. ..
- Miron M, Verdu J, Lachance P, Birnbaum M, Lasko P, Sonenberg N. The translational inhibitor 4E-BP is an effector of PI(3)K/Akt signalling and cell growth in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:596-601 pubmed..Our results support a role for d4E-BP as an effector of cell growth. ..
- Horb L, Horb M. BrunoL1 regulates endoderm proliferation through translational enhancement of cyclin A2 mRNA. Dev Biol. 2010;345:156-69 pubmed publisher..These results are the first example of BRE-dependent translational enhancement and are the first demonstration in vertebrates of Bruno-Like proteins regulating translation through BREs. ..
- Katzemich A, Long J, Jani K, Lee B, Schock F. Muscle type-specific expression of Zasp52 isoforms in Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2011;11:484-90 pubmed publisher..In particular, LIM1b is expressed only in heart muscle and certain somatic muscles, implying muscle-specific functions in Z-disk assembly or maintenance. ..
- Alarco A, Marcil A, Chen J, Suter B, Thomas D, Whiteway M. Immune-deficient Drosophila melanogaster: a model for the innate immune response to human fungal pathogens. J Immunol. 2004;172:5622-8 pubmed..The genetic systems available in both host and pathogen will enable the identification of host-specific components and C. albicans genes involved in the host-fungal interplay. ..
- Cheng S, Maier D, Hipfner D. Drosophila G-protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 regulates cAMP-dependent Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2012;139:85-94 pubmed publisher..Gprk2 is important for normal cAMP regulation, and thus has an indirect effect on the activity of Pka-regulated components of the Hh pathway, including Smo itself. ..
- Qureshi S, Gros P, Malo D. Host resistance to infection: genetic control of lipopolysaccharide responsiveness by TOLL-like receptor genes. Trends Genet. 1999;15:291-4 pubmed..Tlr4 is a member of an ancient gene family that regulates antimicrobial host defense in plants, invertebrates and mammals. ..
- Jani K, Schock F. Zasp is required for the assembly of functional integrin adhesion sites. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1583-97 pubmed publisher..Finally, Zasp interacts genetically with integrins, showing that it regulates integrin function. Our observations point to an important function for Zasp in the assembly of integrin adhesion sites both in cell culture and in tissues. ..
- Thomas G, van Meyel D. The glycosyltransferase Fringe promotes Delta-Notch signaling between neurons and glia, and is required for subtype-specific glial gene expression. Development. 2007;134:591-600 pubmed
- Neault M, Mallette F, Vogel G, Michaud Levesque J, Richard S. Ablation of PRMT6 reveals a role as a negative transcriptional regulator of the p53 tumor suppressor. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:9513-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings define a new regulator of p53 transcriptional regulation and define a role for PRMT6 and arginine methylation in cellular senescence. ..
- Tettweiler G, Miron M, Jenkins M, Sonenberg N, Lasko P. Starvation and oxidative stress resistance in Drosophila are mediated through the eIF4E-binding protein, d4E-BP. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1840-3 pubmed..Thus, d4E-BP is an important downstream effector of a dFOXO phenotype, and regulation of translation by eIF4E is vital during environmental stress. ..
- Wang P, Galan J, Normandin K, Bonneil E, Hickson G, Roux P, et al. Cell cycle regulation of Greatwall kinase nuclear localization facilitates mitotic progression. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:277-93 pubmed publisher..We show that the nucleo-cytoplasmic regulation of Gwl is essential for its functions in vivo and propose that the spatial regulation of Gwl at mitotic entry contributes to the mitotic switch. ..
- Servant M, Grandvaux N, tenOever B, Duguay D, Lin R, Hiscott J. Identification of the minimal phosphoacceptor site required for in vivo activation of interferon regulatory factor 3 in response to virus and double-stranded RNA. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:9441-7 pubmed..The inability of the phosphospecific antibody to detect Ser(396) phosphorylation in lipopolysaccharide-treated cells suggests that other major pathways may be involved in IRF-3 activation following Toll-like receptor 4 stimulation. ..
- Levitin A, Marcil A, Tettweiler G, Laforest M, Oberholzer U, Alarco A, et al. Drosophila melanogaster Thor and response to Candida albicans infection. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:658-63 pubmed..albicans showed that 4E-BP plays an important role in host defense, suggesting a role for translational control in the D. melanogaster response to C. albicans infection. ..
- Lessard J, Baban S, Sauvageau G. Stage-specific expression of polycomb group genes in human bone marrow cells. Blood. 1998;91:1216-24 pubmed..Together, these results document for the first time that differentiation of human bone marrow cells is accompanied by profound changes in Pc-G gene expression levels. ..
- Wang P, Pinson X, Archambault V. PP2A-twins is antagonized by greatwall and collaborates with polo for cell cycle progression and centrosome attachment to nuclei in drosophila embryos. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002227 pubmed publisher..Our study highlights how proper coordination of mitotic entry and exit is required during embryonic cell cycles and defines important roles for Polo and the Gwl-PP2A-Tws pathway in this process. ..
- Kibar Z, Vogan K, Groulx N, Justice M, Underhill D, Gros P. Ltap, a mammalian homolog of Drosophila Strabismus/Van Gogh, is altered in the mouse neural tube mutant Loop-tail. Nat Genet. 2001;28:251-5 pubmed..Ltap is expressed broadly in the neuroectoderm throughout early neurogenesis and is altered in two independent Lp alleles, identifying this gene as a strong candidate for Lp. ..
- Roy G, Miron M, Khaleghpour K, Lasko P, Sonenberg N. The Drosophila poly(A) binding protein-interacting protein, dPaip2, is a novel effector of cell growth. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:1143-54 pubmed..We conclude that dPaip2 inhibits cell growth primarily by inhibiting protein synthesis. ..
- Kugler J, Woo J, Oh B, Lasko P. Regulation of Drosophila vasa in vivo through paralogous cullin-RING E3 ligase specificity receptors. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1769-82 pubmed publisher..We propose that Fsn- and Gus-containing E3 ligase complexes contribute to establishing a fine-tuned steady state of Vasa ubiquitination that influences the kinetics of posterior Vasa deployment. ..
- Laplante C, Nilson L. Differential expression of the adhesion molecule Echinoid drives epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:3255-64 pubmed..We propose that local modulation of the cytoskeleton at Ed expression borders may represent a general mechanism for promoting epithelial morphogenesis. ..
- Leveque G, Forgetta V, Morroll S, Smith A, Bumstead N, Barrow P, et al. Allelic variation in TLR4 is linked to susceptibility to Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium infection in chickens. Infect Immun. 2003;71:1116-24 pubmed..2, P = 0.00138), suggesting a role of TLR4 in the host response of chickens to Salmonella infection. ..
- Boulanger M, Miranda T, Clarke S, Di Fruscio M, Suter B, Lasko P, et al. Characterization of the Drosophila protein arginine methyltransferases DART1 and DART4. Biochem J. 2004;379:283-9 pubmed..The presence of PRMTs in D. melanogaster suggest that flies are a suitable genetic system to study arginine methylation. ..
- Thomson T, Lasko P. Drosophila tudor is essential for polar granule assembly and pole cell specification, but not for posterior patterning. Genesis. 2004;40:164-70 pubmed..In embryos from tud-null mothers, polar granules are greatly reduced in number, size, and electron density. Thus, tud is dispensable for somatic patterning, but essential for pole cell specification and polar granule formation. ..
- Kugler J, Chicoine J, Lasko P. Bicaudal-C associates with a Trailer Hitch/Me31B complex and is required for efficient Gurken secretion. Dev Biol. 2009;328:160-72 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results implicate translational regulation by Bic-C and Tral in the secretory pathway. ..
- Wickham L, Duchaine T, Luo M, Nabi I, DesGroseillers L. Mammalian staufen is a double-stranded-RNA- and tubulin-binding protein which localizes to the rough endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2220-30 pubmed..These results are the first demonstration of the association of an RNA-binding protein in addition to ribosomal proteins, with the RER, implicating this class of proteins in the transport of RNA to its site of translation...
- Lee S, Zhou L, Kim J, Kalbfleisch S, Schock F. Lasp anchors the Drosophila male stem cell niche and mediates spermatid individualization. Mech Dev. 2008;125:768-76 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the stem cell niche is maintained even if it is not properly localized. ..
- Douziech M, Sahmi M, Laberge G, Therrien M. A KSR/CNK complex mediated by HYP, a novel SAM domain-containing protein, regulates RAS-dependent RAF activation in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2006;20:807-19 pubmed..By analogy to catalytically impaired, but conformationally active B-RAF oncogenic mutants, we discuss the possibility that KSR represents a natural allosteric inducer of RAF catalytic function. ..