Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila melanogaster in Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Locale: Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Topic: drosophila melanogaster
- Lavoie C, Lachance P, Sonenberg N, Lasko P. Alternatively spliced transcripts from the Drosophila eIF4E gene produce two different Cap-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:16393-8 pubmed..The three eIF4E transcripts also vary greatly in the lengths of their 5'-UTRs, suggesting the possibility of complex translational control of expression of the two eIF4E isoforms. ..
- da Palma J, Cendron L, Seidah N, Pasquato A, Kunz S. Mechanism of Folding and Activation of Subtilisin Kexin Isozyme-1 (SKI-1)/Site-1 Protease (S1P). J Biol Chem. 2016;291:2055-66 pubmed publisher..The BC region appears as a later evolutionary acquisition, possibly allowing more subtle fine-tuning of the maturation process. ..
- Kechad A, Jananji S, Ruella Y, Hickson G. Anillin acts as a bifunctional linker coordinating midbody ring biogenesis during cytokinesis. Curr Biol. 2012;22:197-203 pubmed publisher..One apparently acts as the core structural template for MR assembly, while the other ensures stable anchoring of the plasma membrane beyond the CR stage. ..
- Cameron S, Chang W, Chen Y, Zhou Y, Taran S, Rao Y. Visual circuit assembly requires fine tuning of the novel Ig transmembrane protein Borderless. J Neurosci. 2013;33:17413-21 pubmed publisher..We propose that precise regulation of Bdl action coordinates neurite-neurite interactions for circuit formation in Drosophila. ..
- Lasko P. The drosophila melanogaster genome: translation factors and RNA binding proteins. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:F51-6 pubmed
- Miron M, Verdu J, Lachance P, Birnbaum M, Lasko P, Sonenberg N. The translational inhibitor 4E-BP is an effector of PI(3)K/Akt signalling and cell growth in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:596-601 pubmed..Our results support a role for d4E-BP as an effector of cell growth. ..
- Tettweiler G, Miron M, Jenkins M, Sonenberg N, Lasko P. Starvation and oxidative stress resistance in Drosophila are mediated through the eIF4E-binding protein, d4E-BP. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1840-3 pubmed..Thus, d4E-BP is an important downstream effector of a dFOXO phenotype, and regulation of translation by eIF4E is vital during environmental stress. ..
- Lee S, Zhou L, Kim J, Kalbfleisch S, Schock F. Lasp anchors the Drosophila male stem cell niche and mediates spermatid individualization. Mech Dev. 2008;125:768-76 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the stem cell niche is maintained even if it is not properly localized. ..
- Harrison P. Exhaustive assignment of compositional bias reveals universally prevalent biased regions: analysis of functional associations in human and Drosophila. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:441 pubmed..This data is of use for the further functional characterization of genes, and for structural genomics initiatives. ..
- Liu N, Han H, Lasko P. Vasa promotes Drosophila germline stem cell differentiation by activating mei-P26 translation by directly interacting with a (U)-rich motif in its 3' UTR. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2742-52 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data support the conclusion that Vas promotes germ cell differentiation by directly activating mei-P26 translation in early-stage committed cells. ..
- Roy F, Laberge G, Douziech M, Ferland McCollough D, Therrien M. KSR is a scaffold required for activation of the ERK/MAPK module. Genes Dev. 2002;16:427-38 pubmed..These findings suggest that KSR functions as a scaffold that assembles the RAF/MEK functional pair. ..
- Lavoie C, Harvey M, Lasko P. Dbp45A encodes a Drosophila DEAD box protein with similarity to a putative yeast helicase involved in ribosome assembly. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1993;1216:140-4 pubmed..DRS1p has been implicated in ribosomal RNA processing. ..
- Neufeld S, Hibbert A, Chen B. Opposing roles of PlexinA and PlexinB in axonal branch and varicosity formation. Mol Brain. 2011;4:15 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate opposing roles for PlexinA and PlexinB in local wiring within a target region, where PlexinA functions to suppress excessive axonal branches and synapses and PlexinB facilitates axonal growth. ..
- Levine S, Sunday S, Dörig R, Suter B, Lasko P. Genetic maps of the proximal half of chromosome arm 2L of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2007;50:137-41 pubmed..trans-heterozygous combinations of deficiencies revealed 5 additional functions, essential for viability or fertility. ..
- Roubinet C, Decelle B, Chicanne G, Dorn J, Payrastre B, Payre F, et al. Molecular networks linked by Moesin drive remodeling of the cell cortex during mitosis. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:99-112 pubmed publisher..These complementary pathways provide a spatiotemporal framework to explain how the cell cortex is remodeled throughout cell division. ..
- Cellier M, Prive G, Belouchi A, Kwan T, Rodrigues V, Chia W, et al. Nramp defines a family of membrane proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:10089-93 pubmed..These characteristics suggest that the Nramp polypeptides form part of a group of transporters or channels that act on as yet unidentified substrates. ..
- Thomson T, Lasko P. Drosophila tudor is essential for polar granule assembly and pole cell specification, but not for posterior patterning. Genesis. 2004;40:164-70 pubmed..In embryos from tud-null mothers, polar granules are greatly reduced in number, size, and electron density. Thus, tud is dispensable for somatic patterning, but essential for pole cell specification and polar granule formation. ..
- Boulanger M, Miranda T, Clarke S, Di Fruscio M, Suter B, Lasko P, et al. Characterization of the Drosophila protein arginine methyltransferases DART1 and DART4. Biochem J. 2004;379:283-9 pubmed..The presence of PRMTs in D. melanogaster suggest that flies are a suitable genetic system to study arginine methylation. ..
- Ruan W, Unsain N, Desbarats J, Fon E, Barker P. Wengen, the sole tumour necrosis factor receptor in Drosophila, collaborates with moesin to control photoreceptor axon targeting during development. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60091 pubmed publisher..Thus, these studies reveal that the Wgn-Moe signaling cascade plays a key role in photoreceptor target field innervations through cell autonomous and non-cell autonomous mechanisms. ..
- Cafferty P, Yu L, Rao Y. The receptor tyrosine kinase Off-track is required for layer-specific neuronal connectivity in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:5287-95 pubmed..We propose that Otk is a receptor or a component of a receptor complex that recognizes a target-derived signal for R1-R6 axons to innervate the lamina layer. ..
- Rao Y, Pang P, Ruan W, Gunning D, Zipursky S. brakeless is required for photoreceptor growth-cone targeting in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:5966-71 pubmed..bks encodes a nuclear protein. We propose that it participates in a gene expression pathway regulating one or more growth cone components controlling R1-R6 targeting. ..
- Ferreira T, Ou Y, Li S, Giniger E, van Meyel D. Dendrite architecture organized by transcriptional control of the F-actin nucleator Spire. Development. 2014;141:650-60 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the Lola-Spir pathway is crucial for the spatial arrangement of branches within dendritic trees and for neural circuit function because it provides balanced control of the F-actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Khila A, Abouheif E. Evaluating the role of reproductive constraints in ant social evolution. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2010;365:617-30 pubmed publisher..A complete understanding of how cooperation, conflict and developmental systems evolve in social groups requires a 'socio-evo-devo' approach that integrates social evolutionary and developmental biology. ..
- Mailly F, Bérubé G, Harada R, Mao P, Phillips S, Nepveu A. The human cut homeodomain protein can repress gene expression by two distinct mechanisms: active repression and competition for binding site occupancy. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:5346-57 pubmed..We have further narrowed this activity to two subdomains that can independently repress activated transcription. Finally, we present a model to illustrate the two mechanisms by which Cut proteins repress gene expression. ..
- Merino C, Penney J, González M, Tsurudome K, Moujahidine M, O Connor M, et al. Nemo kinase interacts with Mad to coordinate synaptic growth at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:713-25 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, we propose a model in which phosphorylation of Mad by Nmo ensures normal accumulation and distribution of Mad and thereby fine tunes BMP signaling in motor neurons. ..
- Swan A, Suter B. Role of Bicaudal-D in patterning the Drosophila egg chamber in mid-oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3577-86 pubmed..In addition, we show that Bic-D is required for the localization of specific mRNAs at both the anterior and posterior of the oocyte. ..
- Wang P, Pinson X, Archambault V. PP2A-twins is antagonized by greatwall and collaborates with polo for cell cycle progression and centrosome attachment to nuclei in drosophila embryos. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002227 pubmed publisher..Our study highlights how proper coordination of mitotic entry and exit is required during embryonic cell cycles and defines important roles for Polo and the Gwl-PP2A-Tws pathway in this process. ..
- Laflamme C, Assaker G, Ramel D, Dorn J, She D, Maddox P, et al. Evi5 promotes collective cell migration through its Rab-GAP activity. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:57-67 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings deepen our understanding of the molecular machinery regulating endocytosis and subsequently cell signaling during migration. ..
- El Amine N, Kechad A, Jananji S, Hickson G. Opposing actions of septins and Sticky on Anillin promote the transition from contractile to midbody ring. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:487-504 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the relatedness of the CR and MR and suggest that membrane removal is coordinated with CR disassembly. ..
- Kalstrup T, Blunck R. Dynamics of internal pore opening in K(V) channels probed by a fluorescent unnatural amino acid. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:8272-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, we defined which parts act independently and which parts act cooperatively and found pore opening to occur in two sequential transitions. ..
- Atkey M, Lachance J, Walczak M, Rebello T, Nilson L. Capicua regulates follicle cell fate in the Drosophila ovary through repression of mirror. Development. 2006;133:2115-23 pubmed..We propose that Capicua regulates the pattern of follicle cell fates along the dorsoventral axis by blocking the induction of appendage determinants, such as mirror, by anterior positional cues. ..
- Larochelle S, Suter B. Molecular cloning of the Drosophila homologue of the rat ribosomal protein L11 gene. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1261:147-50 pubmed..8 and 0.9 kb which are expressed throughout development with variations in their relative abundance. DL11 codes for a predicted protein of 184 amino acids with a molecular mass of 21.1 kDa. ..
- Kugler J, Woo J, Oh B, Lasko P. Regulation of Drosophila vasa in vivo through paralogous cullin-RING E3 ligase specificity receptors. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1769-82 pubmed publisher..We propose that Fsn- and Gus-containing E3 ligase complexes contribute to establishing a fine-tuned steady state of Vasa ubiquitination that influences the kinetics of posterior Vasa deployment. ..
- Alarco A, Marcil A, Chen J, Suter B, Thomas D, Whiteway M. Immune-deficient Drosophila melanogaster: a model for the innate immune response to human fungal pathogens. J Immunol. 2004;172:5622-8 pubmed..The genetic systems available in both host and pathogen will enable the identification of host-specific components and C. albicans genes involved in the host-fungal interplay. ..
- Iampietro C, Bergalet J, Wang X, Cody N, Chin A, Lefebvre F, et al. Developmentally regulated elimination of damaged nuclei involves a Chk2-dependent mechanism of mRNA nuclear retention. Dev Cell. 2014;29:468-81 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a layer of regulation within the DNA damage surveillance systems that safeguard genome integrity in eukaryotes. ..
- Zhan Y, Melian N, Pantoja M, Haines N, Ruohola Baker H, Bourque C, et al. Dystroglycan and mitochondrial ribosomal protein L34 regulate differentiation in the Drosophila eye. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10488 pubmed publisher..We discuss these findings in view of recent work implicating DG as a regulator of cell metabolism and its genetic interaction with mRpL34, a member of a class of mitochondrial genes essential for normal metabolic function. ..
- Mahone M, Saffman E, Lasko P. Localized Bicaudal-C RNA encodes a protein containing a KH domain, the RNA binding motif of FMR1. EMBO J. 1995;14:2043-55 pubmed..Alteration of a highly conserved KH domain codon by mutation abrogates in vivo Bic-C function. These results suggest roles for the Bic-C protein in localizing RNAs and in intercellular signaling. ..
- Gingras A, Raught B, Sonenberg N. Regulation of translation initiation by FRAP/mTOR. Genes Dev. 2001;15:807-26 pubmed
- Wickham L, Duchaine T, Luo M, Nabi I, DesGroseillers L. Mammalian staufen is a double-stranded-RNA- and tubulin-binding protein which localizes to the rough endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2220-30 pubmed..These results are the first demonstration of the association of an RNA-binding protein in addition to ribosomal proteins, with the RER, implicating this class of proteins in the transport of RNA to its site of translation...
- Cheng S, Maier D, Neubueser D, Hipfner D. Regulation of smoothened by Drosophila G-protein-coupled receptor kinases. Dev Biol. 2010;337:99-109 pubmed publisher..G-protein-coupled receptor kinase activity is also important for efficient downstream signaling. ..
- Moon N, Premdas P, Truscott M, Leduy L, Bérubé G, Nepveu A. S phase-specific proteolytic cleavage is required to activate stable DNA binding by the CDP/Cut homeodomain protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6332-45 pubmed..These findings, together with the cleavage of the Scc1 protein at mitosis, suggest that site-specific proteolysis may play an important role in the regulation of cell cycle progression. ..
- Swan A, Nguyen T, Suter B. Drosophila Lissencephaly-1 functions with Bic-D and dynein in oocyte determination and nuclear positioning. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:444-9 pubmed
- Ruan W, Long H, Vuong D, Rao Y. Bifocal is a downstream target of the Ste20-like serine/threonine kinase misshapen in regulating photoreceptor growth cone targeting in Drosophila. Neuron. 2002;36:831-42 pubmed..We propose that Bif functions downstream of Msn to reorganize actin cytoskeleton in decelerating R cell growth cone motility at the target region. ..
- Saffman E, Styhler S, Rother K, Li W, Richard S, Lasko P. Premature translation of oskar in oocytes lacking the RNA-binding protein bicaudal-C. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4855-62 pubmed..In addition, oskar translation commences prior to posterior localization of oskar RNA in Bic-C- oocytes, indicating that Bic-C may regulate oskar translation during oogenesis. ..
- Katzemich A, Long J, Jani K, Lee B, Schock F. Muscle type-specific expression of Zasp52 isoforms in Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2011;11:484-90 pubmed publisher..In particular, LIM1b is expressed only in heart muscle and certain somatic muscles, implying muscle-specific functions in Z-disk assembly or maintenance. ..
- Laplante C, Nilson L. Asymmetric distribution of Echinoid defines the epidermal leading edge during Drosophila dorsal closure. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:335-48 pubmed publisher..The planar polarized distribution of Ed in the DME cells thus provides a spatial cue that polarizes the DME cell actin cytoskeleton, defining the epidermal leading edge and establishing its contractile properties. ..
- Ashton Beaucage D, Udell C, Lavoie H, Baril C, Lefrancois M, Chagnon P, et al. The exon junction complex controls the splicing of MAPK and other long intron-containing transcripts in Drosophila. Cell. 2010;143:251-62 pubmed publisher..These results identify a role for the EJC in the splicing of a subset of transcripts and suggest that RAS/MAPK signaling depends on the regulation of MAPK levels by the EJC. ..
- Di Cara F, Sheshachalam A, Braverman N, Rachubinski R, Simmonds A. Peroxisome-Mediated Metabolism Is Required for Immune Response to Microbial Infection. Immunity. 2017;47:93-106.e7 pubmed publisher..This impaired response to bacterial challenge affected cell and organism survival and revealed a previously unknown requirement for peroxisomes in phagocytosis and innate immunity. ..
- Thomson T, Liu N, Arkov A, Lehmann R, Lasko P. Isolation of new polar granule components in Drosophila reveals P body and ER associated proteins. Mech Dev. 2008;125:865-73 pubmed publisher..Our recovery of ER associated proteins TER94 and ME31B confirms that polar granules are closely linked to the translational machinery and to mRNP assembly. ..
- Perkins T, Jaeger J, Reinitz J, Glass L. Reverse engineering the gap gene network of Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Comput Biol. 2006;2:e51 pubmed..Interestingly, some relationships in standard textbook models of gap gene regulation appear to be unnecessary for or even inconsistent with the details of gap gene expression during wild-type development. ..
- Fernandes C, Rao Y. Genome-wide screen for modifiers of Parkinson's disease genes in Drosophila. Mol Brain. 2011;4:17 pubmed publisher..Further study of novel PD-interacting genes will shed new light on the function of PD genes and help in the development of new therapeutic strategies for treating Parkinson's disease. ..
- Hsieh T, Nicolay B, Frolov M, Moon N. Tuberous sclerosis complex 1 regulates dE2F1 expression during development and cooperates with RBF1 to control proliferation and survival. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001071 pubmed publisher..Our results provide evidence to suggest that dE2F1 is an important cell cycle regulator that translates the growth-promoting signal downstream of the TSC/Rheb/Tor/S6k pathway. ..
- Cho P, Poulin F, Cho Park Y, Cho Park I, Chicoine J, Lasko P, et al. A new paradigm for translational control: inhibition via 5'-3' mRNA tethering by Bicoid and the eIF4E cognate 4EHP. Cell. 2005;121:411-23 pubmed..This example of cap-dependent translational control that is not mediated by canonical eIF4E defines a new paradigm for translational inhibition involving tethering of the mRNA 5' and 3' ends. ..
- Larochelle S, Suter B. The Drosophila melanogaster homolog of the mammalian MAPK-activated protein kinase-2 (MAPKAPK-2) lacks a proline-rich N-terminus. Gene. 1995;163:209-14 pubmed..The 1.8-kb transcript results from the usage of an atypical germline-specific polyadenylation signal (AATATA) located early within the 3' untranslated region. Dm MAPKAPK-2 is located at cytological position 5D in the Dm genome. ..
- Cavey M, Hijal S, Zhang X, Suter B. Drosophila valois encodes a divergent WD protein that is required for Vasa localization and Oskar protein accumulation. Development. 2005;132:459-68 pubmed..Based on the structure of Vls, the function of similar proteins in different systems and our phenotypic analysis, it seems likely that vls may promote posterior patterning by facilitating interactions between different molecules. ..
- Neubueser D, Hipfner D. Overlapping roles of Drosophila Drak and Rok kinases in epithelial tissue morphogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:2869-79 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first evidence that DAPK family kinases regulate actin dynamics in vivo and identify Drak as a novel component of the signaling networks that shape epithelial tissues. ..
- Racine A, Pag V, Nagy S, Grabowski D, Tanny J. Histone H2B ubiquitylation promotes activity of the intact Set1 histone methyltransferase complex in fission yeast. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19040-7 pubmed publisher..Our data argue that trans-histone crosstalk in S. pombe involves direct enhancement of Set1C methyltransferase activity by H2Bub1 and suggest that this represents a conserved aspect of H2Bub1-H3K4me crosstalk in eukaryotes...
- Dansereau D, Lasko P. RanBPM regulates cell shape, arrangement, and capacity of the female germline stem cell niche in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:963-77 pubmed publisher..These results implicate RanBPM in the regulation of niche capacity and adhesion. ..
- Lavoie C, Tam R, Clark M, Lee H, Sonenberg N, Lasko P. Suppression of a temperature-sensitive cdc33 mutation of yeast by a multicopy plasmid expressing a Drosophila ribosomal protein. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:14625-30 pubmed
- Pare C, Suter B. Subcellular localization of Bic-D::GFP is linked to an asymmetric oocyte nucleus. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 12):2119-27 pubmed..The subcellular polarity defined by the Bic-D focus and the nuclear polarity marks some of the first steps in antero-posterior and subsequently in dorso-ventral polarity formation. ..
- Martin L, Smith S, Khoutorsky A, Magnussen C, Samoshkin A, Sorge R, et al. Epiregulin and EGFR interactions are involved in pain processing. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3353-3366 pubmed publisher..Thus, EGFR and EREG may be suitable therapeutic targets for persistent pain conditions. ..
- Lachance P, Miron M, Raught B, Sonenberg N, Lasko P. Phosphorylation of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E is critical for growth. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1656-63 pubmed..Escapers develop more slowly than control siblings and are smaller. These genetic data provide evidence that eIF4E phosphorylation is biologically significant and is essential for normal growth and development. ..
- Katzemich A, Liao K, Czerniecki S, Schock F. Alp/Enigma family proteins cooperate in Z-disc formation and myofibril assembly. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003342 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Alp/Enigma family members cooperate in Z-disc assembly and myofibril formation; and we propose, based on sequence analysis, a novel class of PDZ domain likely involved in ?-actinin binding. ..
- Styhler S, Nakamura A, Lasko P. VASA localization requires the SPRY-domain and SOCS-box containing protein, GUSTAVUS. Dev Cell. 2002;3:865-76 pubmed..Therefore, GUS is essential for the posterior localization of VAS. However, gus is not required for the posterior localization of oskar (osk). Apparent gus orthologs are present in mammalian genomes. ..
- Bridon G, Bonneil E, Muratore Schroeder T, Caron Lizotte O, Thibault P. Improvement of phosphoproteome analyses using FAIMS and decision tree fragmentation. application to the insulin signaling pathway in Drosophila melanogaster S2 cells. J Proteome Res. 2012;11:927-40 pubmed publisher..The benefits of FAIMS in large-scale phosphoproteomics of D. melanogaster are further investigated using label-free quantitation to identify differentially regulated phosphoproteins in response to insulin stimulation. ..
- Rao Y. Dissecting Nck/Dock signaling pathways in Drosophila visual system. Int J Biol Sci. 2005;1:80-6 pubmed..These studies have identified additional key components of the Nck/Dock signaling pathways for linking the receptor signaling to the remodeling of the actin cytoskeleton in controlling growth-cone motility. ..
- Jani K, Schock F. Zasp is required for the assembly of functional integrin adhesion sites. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1583-97 pubmed publisher..Finally, Zasp interacts genetically with integrins, showing that it regulates integrin function. Our observations point to an important function for Zasp in the assembly of integrin adhesion sites both in cell culture and in tissues. ..
- Houalla T, Shi L, van Meyel D, Rao Y. Rab-mediated vesicular transport is required for neuronal positioning in the developing Drosophila visual system. Mol Brain. 2010;3:19 pubmed publisher..We propose that Rab5, Shi and Rab11 function together in a vesicular transport pathway for regulating R-cell positioning in the developing eye. ..
- Kugler J, Lem C, Lasko P. Reduced cul-5 activity causes aberrant follicular morphogenesis and germ cell loss in Drosophila oogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9048 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results implicate Cul-5/Gus ubiquitin E3 ligases in ovarian tissue morphogenesis, germ cell proliferation and maintenance of the ovarian germ cell population. ..