Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on tertiary protein structure in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Topic: tertiary protein structure
- Van Ham I, Banihashemi B, Wilson A, Jacobsen K, Czesak M, Albert P. Differential signaling of dopamine-D2S and -D2L receptors to inhibit ERK1/2 phosphorylation. J Neurochem. 2007;102:1796-1804 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the D(2)S and D(2)L receptors differ in inhibitory signaling to ERK1/2 due to specific residues in the D(2)L receptor alternatively spliced domain, which may account for differences in their function in vivo. ..
- Zhang J, Tanha J, Hirama T, Khieu N, To R, Tong Sevinc H, et al. Pentamerization of single-domain antibodies from phage libraries: a novel strategy for the rapid generation of high-avidity antibody reagents. J Mol Biol. 2004;335:49-56 pubmed..It is expected that pentavalent sdAbs will have general applicability in proteomics, immunochemical staining, cancer diagnosis and other applications in which antigens are presented multivalently...
- Noestheden M, Hu Q, Tay L, Tonary A, Stolow A, MacKenzie R, et al. Synthesis and characterization of CN-modified protein analogues as potential vibrational contrast agents. Bioorg Chem. 2007;35:284-93 pubmed..The generality of this labeling strategy should make it applicable to modifying an array of proteins with varied structure and function. ..
- Ishibashi J, Perry R, Asakura A, Rudnicki M. MyoD induces myogenic differentiation through cooperation of its NH2- and COOH-terminal regions. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:471-82 pubmed..Together, these results support the notion that Myf5 functions toward myoblast proliferation, whereas MyoD prepares myoblasts for efficient differentiation. ..
- Graber T, Baird S, Kao P, Mathews M, Holcik M. NF45 functions as an IRES trans-acting factor that is required for translation of cIAP1 during the unfolded protein response. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:719-29 pubmed publisher..The data presented are consistent with a model in which translation of cIAP1 is governed, at least in part, by NF45, a novel cellular IRES trans-acting factor. ..
- Mao H, Zhao Q, Daigle M, Ghahremani M, Chidiac P, Albert P. RGS17/RGSZ2, a novel regulator of Gi/o, Gz, and Gq signaling. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26314-22 pubmed..Differences observed between in vitro GAP assays and whole-cell signaling suggest additional determinants of the G-protein specificity of RGS GAP effects that could include receptors and effectors. ..
- Cheung H, Plenchette S, Kern C, Mahoney D, Korneluk R. The RING domain of cIAP1 mediates the degradation of RING-bearing inhibitor of apoptosis proteins by distinct pathways. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2729-40 pubmed publisher..Together, these results show that the E3 ligase RING domain of cIAP1 targets RING-bearing IAPs for proteasomal degradation by ubiquitin-dependent and -independent pathways. ..
- Abdul Ghani M, Hartman K, Ngsee J. Abstrakt interacts with and regulates the expression of sorting nexin-2. J Cell Physiol. 2005;204:210-8 pubmed..This unexpected interaction provides a novel mechanism whereby expression of proteins involved in membrane trafficking could be regulated by an RNA helicase. ..
- Tadesse H, Deschenes Furry J, Boisvenue S, Cote J. KH-type splicing regulatory protein interacts with survival motor neuron protein and is misregulated in spinal muscular atrophy. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:506-24 pubmed..Our results suggest SMN can act as a molecular chaperone for methylated proteins involved in RNA metabolism and provide new insights into the pathophysiology of SMA. ..
- Kim B, Kim S, Lee H. Identification and characterization of human cdc7 nuclear retention and export sequences in the context of chromatin binding. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30029-38 pubmed..However, the binding of CRM1 with Cdc7 at NES2 raises an interesting possibility that CRM1 may also down-regulate Cdc7 by masking its kinase domain. ..
- Abu Farha M, Lambert J, Al Madhoun A, Elisma F, Skerjanc I, Figeys D. The tale of two domains: proteomics and genomics analysis of SMYD2, a new histone methyltransferase. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2008;7:560-72 pubmed..Furthermore the combination of the SMYD2 interactome with the gene expression data suggests that some of the genes regulated by SMYD2 are closely associated with SMYD2-interacting proteins. ..
- Al Madhoun A, Chen Y, Haidari L, Rayner K, Gerthoffer W, McBride H, et al. The interaction and cellular localization of HSP27 and ERbeta are modulated by 17beta-estradiol and HSP27 phosphorylation. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;270:33-42 pubmed..These data highlight an extranuclear interaction between ERbeta and HSP27 that may be of potential importance in modulating estrogen signaling. ..
- Head J, Hahn M, Kennedy S. Key amino acids in the aryl hydrocarbon receptor predict dioxin sensitivity in avian species. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:7535-41 pubmed..Given the large degree of variation in species sensitivity and the paucity of species-specific toxicity data, a genetic screen based on these findings could substantially improve risk assessment for dioxin-like compounds in wild birds...
- Basak S, Hao X, Chen A, Chretien M, Basak A. Structural and biochemical investigation of heptad repeat derived peptides of human SARS corona virus (hSARS-CoV) spike protein. Protein Pept Lett. 2008;15:874-86 pubmed..Data revealed that HR-C domains (1153-1189), (1153-1172) and (1164-1184) all exhibit potent binding interactions with HR-N(892-931) domain. These peptides may find useful therapeutic applications in SARS intervention. ..
- Szeto J, Eng N, Acharya S, Rigden M, Dillon J. A conserved polar region in the cell division site determinant MinD is required for responding to MinE-induced oscillation but not for localization within coiled arrays. Res Microbiol. 2005;156:17-29 pubmed
- Hogan A, Yakubchyk Y, Chabot J, Obagi C, Daher E, Maekawa K, et al. The phosphoinositol 3,4-bisphosphate-binding protein TAPP1 interacts with syntrophins and regulates actin cytoskeletal organization. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:53717-24 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest syntrophins regulate the localization of TAPP1, which may be important for remodeling the actin cytoskeleton in response to growth factor stimulation. ..
- Davoodi J, Lin L, Kelly J, Liston P, MacKenzie A. Neuronal apoptosis-inhibitory protein does not interact with Smac and requires ATP to bind caspase-9. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:40622-8 pubmed..These results demonstrate that NAIP is distinct from the other IAPs, both in demonstrating a ligand-dependent caspase-9 interaction and in demonstrating a distinct mechanism of inhibition. ..
- Fortin A, Maclaurin J, Arbour N, Cregan S, Kushwaha N, Callaghan S, et al. The proapoptotic gene SIVA is a direct transcriptional target for the tumor suppressors p53 and E2F1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28706-14 pubmed..Here, we report that the proapoptotic gene, SIVA, which functions in a broad spectrum of cell types, is a direct transcriptional target for both tumor suppressors, p53 and E2F1. ..
- Lemonde S, Turecki G, Bakish D, Du L, Hrdina P, Bown C, et al. Impaired repression at a 5-hydroxytryptamine 1A receptor gene polymorphism associated with major depression and suicide. J Neurosci. 2003;23:8788-99 pubmed..We suggest a novel transcriptional model in which the G(-1019) allele derepresses 5-HT1A autoreceptor expression to reduce serotonergic neurotransmission, predisposing to depression and suicide. ..
- Wall D, Mears A, McNeill B, Mazerolle C, Thurig S, Wang Y, et al. Progenitor cell proliferation in the retina is dependent on Notch-independent Sonic hedgehog/Hes1 activity. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:101-12 pubmed publisher..This paper is the first demonstration of the mechanistic and functional link between Shh, Gli, and Hes1 in the regulation of progenitor cell behavior. ..
- Hunter A, Kottachchi D, Lewis J, Duckett C, Korneluk R, Liston P. A novel ubiquitin fusion system bypasses the mitochondria and generates biologically active Smac/DIABLO. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:7494-9 pubmed..The ability to circumvent the requirement for mitochondrial processing and release is critical to developing Smac as a possible gene therapy payload in cancer chemosensitization. ..
- Lejen T, Pene T, Rose S, Trifaro J. The role of different Scinderin domains in the control of F-actin cytoskeleton during exocytosis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002;971:248-50 pubmed..The results of the present study suggest the possibility that Sc might act as a molecular switch in the control of cortical F-actin dynamics during secretion. ..
- Arabzadeh A, Troy T, Turksen K. Role of the Cldn6 cytoplasmic tail domain in membrane targeting and epidermal differentiation in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:5876-87 pubmed
- Vaillant D, Copeland S, Davis C, Thurston S, Abdennur N, Copeland J. Interaction of the N- and C-terminal autoregulatory domains of FRL2 does not inhibit FRL2 activity. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:33750-62 pubmed publisher..Finally, unlike other formins, we find that the FH2 and N-terminal dimerization domains of FRL2 and FRL3 are able to form hetero-oligomers. ..
- Mark J, Aubin R, Smith S, Hefford M. Inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase 3 activity by interdomain binding. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:28574-83 pubmed publisher..Finally, we have provided evidence for oligomerization of MKP3 in pancreatic cancer cells expressing elevated levels of this phosphatase. ..
- Hailesellasse Sene K, Porter C, Palidwor G, Perez Iratxeta C, Muro E, Campbell P, et al. Gene function in early mouse embryonic stem cell differentiation. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:85 pubmed..The data generated constitute a valuable resource for further studies. All DNA microarray data used in this study are available in the StemBase database of stem cell gene expression data 1 and in the NCBI's GEO database. ..
- Stone E, Hirama T, Chen W, Soltyk A, Brunton J, Mackenzie C, et al. A novel pentamer versus pentamer approach to generating neutralizers of verotoxin 1. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:2487-91 pubmed..This effort provides the basis of a novel type of VT neutralizer that can potentially be produced at a relatively low cost. ..
- Subramanian S, Bonen L. Rapid evolution in sequence and length of the nuclear-located gene for mitochondrial L2 ribosomal protein in cereals. Genome. 2006;49:275-81 pubmed..Comparative sequence analysis of cereal mitochondrial L2 ribosomal proteins indicates that the mid region has undergone unexpectedly rapid evolution during the last 60 million years. ..
- Copeland S, Green B, Burchat S, Papalia G, Banner D, Copeland J. The diaphanous inhibitory domain/diaphanous autoregulatory domain interaction is able to mediate heterodimerization between mDia1 and mDia2. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30120-30 pubmed..In addition, we also show that the DD/CC region is required for the Rho-independent membrane targeting of the isolated N terminus. ..
- Singh P, Leddy J, Chatzis G, Salih M, Tuana B. Alternative splicing generates a CaM kinase IIbeta isoform in myocardium that targets the sarcoplasmic reticulum through a putative alphaKAP and regulates GAPDH. Mol Cell Biochem. 2005;270:215-21 pubmed..The presence of a CaMKIIbeta isoform that can target the SR presumably via its membrane anchor alphaKAP defines a previously unrecognized Ca2+/CaM regulatory system in myocardium. ..
- Brown R, Schultz J, Ko K, Hill J, Ramsamy T, White A, et al. The amino acid sequences of the carboxyl termini of human and mouse hepatic lipase influence cell surface association. J Lipid Res. 2003;44:1306-14 pubmed..These data suggest that the determinants of cell surface binding exist within the carboxyl terminal 70 amino acids of hHL, of which the last five residues play an important role. ..
- Calabrese B, Tabarean I, Juranka P, Morris C. Mechanosensitivity of N-type calcium channel currents. Biophys J. 2002;83:2560-74 pubmed..These findings set the stage for the molecular dissection of calcium current mechanosensitivity. ..
- Hutt D, Da Silva L, Chang L, Prosser D, Ngsee J. PRA1 inhibits the extraction of membrane-bound rab GTPase by GDI1. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:18511-9 pubmed..The binding of Rab and VAMP2 to PRA1 is mutually exclusive such that Rab3A can displace VAMP2 in a preformed VAMP2-PRA1 complex. ..
- Voisin S, Houliston R, Kelly J, Brisson J, Watson D, Bardy S, et al. Identification and characterization of the unique N-linked glycan common to the flagellins and S-layer glycoprotein of Methanococcus voltae. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:16586-93 pubmed..In addition, the same trisaccharide was identified on a tryptic peptide of the S-layer protein from this organism implicating a common N-linked glycosylation pathway...
- Maier J, Lahoua Z, Gendron N, Fetni R, Johnston A, Davoodi J, et al. The neuronal apoptosis inhibitory protein is a direct inhibitor of caspases 3 and 7. J Neurosci. 2002;22:2035-43 pubmed..Additional investigations with NAIP fragments containing either one or two NAIP BIRs revealed that the second BIR and to a lesser extent the third BIR alone are sufficient to mediate full caspase inhibition. ..