Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on sequence alignment in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Topic: sequence alignment
Publications145 found, 100 shown here
- Sengar A, Wang W, Bishay J, Cohen S, Egan S. The EH and SH3 domain Ese proteins regulate endocytosis by linking to dynamin and Eps15. EMBO J. 1999;18:1159-71 pubmed..The Ese1-Eps15 scaffold therefore links dynamin, epsin and other endocytic pathway components. ..
- Davison T, Vagner C, Kaghad M, Ayed A, Caput D, Arrowsmith C. p73 and p63 are homotetramers capable of weak heterotypic interactions with each other but not with p53. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:18709-14 pubmed..It also establishes that the multiple isoforms of p63 as well as those of p73 are capable of interacting via their common oligomerization domain. ..
- Conway E, Pollefeyt S, Cornelissen J, DeBaere I, Steiner Mosonyi M, Ong K, et al. Three differentially expressed survivin cDNA variants encode proteins with distinct antiapoptotic functions. Blood. 2000;95:1435-42 pubmed..The presence of distinct isoforms of survivin that are expressed differentially suggests that survivin plays a complex role in regulating apoptosis. (Blood. 2000;95:1435-1442) ..
- Kanelis V, Rotin D, Forman Kay J. Solution structure of a Nedd4 WW domain-ENaC peptide complex. Nat Struct Biol. 2001;8:407-12 pubmed..The Nedd4 WW domain-ENaC betaP2 peptide structure expands our understanding of the mechanisms involved in WW domain-ligand recognition and the molecular basis of Liddle syndrome. ..
- Pineda Lucena A, Liao J, Wu B, Yee A, Cort J, Kennedy M, et al. NMR structure of the hypothetical protein encoded by the YjbJ gene from Escherichia coli. Proteins. 2002;47:572-4 pubmed
- Irwin D. A second insulin gene in fish genomes. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2004;135:150-8 pubmed..The maintenance of two insulin genes within the fish suggests that the two genes have different functions. Thus the well-characterized insulin genes in some fish species may not be complete homologues of the human insulin gene. ..
- Adachi D, Johnson G, Draker R, Ayers M, Mazzulli T, Talbot P, et al. Comprehensive detection and identification of human coronaviruses, including the SARS-associated coronavirus, with a single RT-PCR assay. J Virol Methods. 2004;122:29-36 pubmed..Species identification is provided by sequencing the amplicon, although a rapid screening test by restriction enzyme analysis has proved to be very useful for the analysis of samples obtained during the SARS outbreak in Toronto, Canada. ..
- Chan E, Quon G, Chua G, Babak T, Trochesset M, Zirngibl R, et al. Conservation of core gene expression in vertebrate tissues. J Biol. 2009;8:33 pubmed publisher..A major challenge will be to understand the precise mechanisms by which many gene expression patterns remain similar despite extensive cis-regulatory restructuring. ..
- Garcia B, Stollar E, Davidson A. The importance of conserved features of yeast actin-binding protein 1 (Abp1p): the conditional nature of essentiality. Genetics. 2012;191:1199-211 pubmed publisher..Detection of this type of intragenic synthetic lethality provides an important approach for understanding the function of individual protein domains or motifs. ..
- Gribun A, Cheung K, Huen J, Ortega J, Houry W. Yeast Rvb1 and Rvb2 are ATP-dependent DNA helicases that form a heterohexameric complex. J Mol Biol. 2008;376:1320-33 pubmed publisher..These results clearly establish the yeast Rvb1/2 complex as a heterohexameric ATP-dependent DNA helicase and highlight the possible roles played by the Rvb proteins within multiprotein complexes. ..
- Stathopulos P, Zheng L, Li G, Plevin M, Ikura M. Structural and mechanistic insights into STIM1-mediated initiation of store-operated calcium entry. Cell. 2008;135:110-22 pubmed publisher..We provide atomic resolution insight into the molecular basis for STIM1-mediated SOCE initiation and show that the folded/unfolded state of the Ca2+-sensing region of STIM is crucial to SOCE regulation. ..
- Guettler S, LaRose J, Petsalaki E, Gish G, Scotter A, Pawson T, et al. Structural basis and sequence rules for substrate recognition by Tankyrase explain the basis for cherubism disease. Cell. 2011;147:1340-54 pubmed publisher..Structural and sequence information allows us to also predict and validate other Tankyrase targets, including Disc1, Striatin, Fat4, RAD54, BCR, and MERIT40...
- Endicott J, Sarangi F, Ling V. Complete cDNA sequences encoding the Chinese hamster P-glycoprotein gene family. DNA Seq. 1991;2:89-101 pubmed..Unexpectedly, we find no evidence for a similar alternative splicing event in Chinese hamster: it appears that the expression of pgp3 (mdr3) is different between rodents and humans. ..
- Nouraini S, Xu D, Nelson S, Lee M, Friesen J. Genetic evidence for selective degradation of RNA polymerase subunits by the 20S proteasome in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 1997;25:3570-9 pubmed..These observations suggest that the stability of non-functional or unassembled forms of Rpo26p and Rpo21p are regulated independently. ..
- Shire K, Ceccarelli D, Avolio Hunter T, Frappier L. EBP2, a human protein that interacts with sequences of the Epstein-Barr virus nuclear antigen 1 important for plasmid maintenance. J Virol. 1999;73:2587-95 pubmed..Thus, our results suggest that the EBNA1-EBP2 interaction is important for the stable segregation of EBV episomes during cell division but not for the replication of the episomes. ..
- Claudio J, Liew C, Ma J, Heng H, Stewart A, Hawley R. Cloning and expression analysis of a novel WD repeat gene, WDR3, mapping to 1p12-p13. Genomics. 1999;59:85-9 pubmed..Fluorescence in situ hybridization mapped WDR3 to human chromosome 1p12-p13, a region that is affected by chromosomal rearrangements in a number of hematologic malignancies and solid tumors. ..
- Vincent J, Herbrick J, Gurling H, Bolton P, Roberts W, Scherer S. Identification of a novel gene on chromosome 7q31 that is interrupted by a translocation breakpoint in an autistic individual. Am J Hum Genet. 2000;67:510-4 pubmed..Apparent homologues of RAY1 have also been identified in mouse, rat, pig, chicken, fruit fly, and nematode. The human and mouse genes share similar splicing patterns, and their predicted protein products are 98% identical. ..
- Lovshin J, Estall J, Yusta B, Brown T, Drucker D. Glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-2 action in the murine central nervous system is enhanced by elimination of GLP-1 receptor signaling. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:21489-99 pubmed..These findings illustrate that CNS GLP-2R expression is not restricted to hypothalamic nuclei and demonstrate that the anorectic effects of GLP-2 are transient and modulated by the presence or absence of GLP-1R signaling in vivo. ..
- Lee D, Nguyen T, Lynch K, Cheng R, Vanti W, Arkhitko O, et al. Discovery and mapping of ten novel G protein-coupled receptor genes. Gene. 2001;275:83-91 pubmed..GPR101 revealed mRNA transcripts in caudate putamen and hypothalamus. GPR103 mRNA signals were detected in the cortex, pituitary, thalamus, hypothalamus, basal forebrain, midbrain and pons. ..
- Ikura M, Osawa M, Ames J. The role of calcium-binding proteins in the control of transcription: structure to function. Bioessays. 2002;24:625-36 pubmed..In light of the structural studies reported to date, this review provides an overview of the structural basis of EF-hand Ca(2+)-binding proteins linked with transcriptional regulation. ..
- Ghosh M, Elsby L, Mal T, Gooding J, Roberts S, Ikura M. Probing Zn2+-binding effects on the zinc-ribbon domain of human general transcription factor TFIIB. Biochem J. 2004;378:317-24 pubmed..These structural effects of Zn2 binding on TFIIB may have a critical role in interactions with its binding partners, such as the Rpb1 subunit of RNA polymerase II. ..
- Reed B, Wilk R, Schock F, Lipshitz H. Integrin-dependent apposition of Drosophila extraembryonic membranes promotes morphogenesis and prevents anoikis. Curr Biol. 2004;14:372-80 pubmed
- Haynes M, Wu G. Gene discovery at the human T-cell receptor alpha/delta locus. Immunogenetics. 2007;59:109-21 pubmed..The identification of conserved putative serine phosphorylation sites provide evidence of their possible role(s) in signal transduction events involved in B cell development and differentiation. ..
- Ghetu A, Corcoran C, Cerchietti L, Bardwell V, Melnick A, Prive G. Structure of a BCOR corepressor peptide in complex with the BCL6 BTB domain dimer. Mol Cell. 2008;29:384-91 pubmed publisher..Mutations of critical BCOR(BBD) residues cause the disruption of the BCL6 corepression activities of BCOR, and a BCOR(BBD) peptide blocks BCL6-mediated transcriptional repression and kills lymphoma cells. ..
- Nickerson N, Joag V, McGavin M. Rapid autocatalytic activation of the M4 metalloprotease aureolysin is controlled by a conserved N-terminal fungalysin-thermolysin-propeptide domain. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:1530-43 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the FTP domain of proAur is adapted to facilitate a rapid autocatalytic activation mechanism, consistent with the role or proAur as initiator of the staphylococcal proteolytic cascade. ..
- Zhu H, Lee H, Tong Y, Hong B, Kim K, Shen Y, et al. Crystal structures of the tetratricopeptide repeat domains of kinesin light chains: insight into cargo recognition mechanisms. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33943 pubmed publisher..Together, these results provide structural insights into possible mechanisms of interaction between KLC TPR domains and various cargo proteins. ..
- Archambault J, Friesen J. Genetics of eukaryotic RNA polymerases I, II, and III. Microbiol Rev. 1993;57:703-24 pubmed
- Foussias G, Taylor S, Yousef G, Tropak M, Ordon M, Diamandis E. Cloning and molecular characterization of two splice variants of a new putative member of the Siglec-3-like subgroup of Siglecs. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;284:887-99 pubmed
- Sampaleanu L, Vallee F, Thompson G, Howell P. Three-dimensional structure of the argininosuccinate lyase frequently complementing allele Q286R. Biochemistry. 2001;40:15570-80 pubmed
- Vanti W, Nguyen T, Cheng R, Lynch K, George S, O Dowd B. Novel human G-protein-coupled receptors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;305:67-71 pubmed..The expression of odorant-like genes in non-olfactory tissues requires further clarification, which may be achieved through the search for endogenous cognate ligands for these and other oGPCRs. ..
- Yousef G, Diamandis E. Tissue kallikreins: new players in normal and abnormal cell growth?. Thromb Haemost. 2003;90:7-16 pubmed..For example, hK6, 10 and 11 are promising serological markers for ovarian cancer diagnosis. KLK10 may act as a tumor suppressor. In addition to their diagnostic and prognostic values, kallikreins may also be good therapeutic targets. ..
- Viola C, Saridakis V, Christendat D. Crystal structure of chorismate synthase from Aquifex aeolicus reveals a novel beta alpha beta sandwich topology. Proteins. 2004;54:166-9 pubmed
- Thomson S, Williams D. Delineation of the lectin site of the molecular chaperone calreticulin. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2005;10:242-51 pubmed..This provides the first direct demonstration of the importance of CRT's lectin site in suppressing the aggregation of nonnative glycoproteins. ..
- Bruce M, Kanelis V, Fouladkou F, Debonneville A, Staub O, Rotin D. Regulation of Nedd4-2 self-ubiquitination and stability by a PY motif located within its HECT-domain. Biochem J. 2008;415:155-63 pubmed publisher..These findings also point to a novel mechanism employed by a ubiquitin ligase to regulate itself differentially compared with substrate ubiquitination and stability. ..
- Miao M, Stahl R, Petersen L, Reintsch W, Davis E, Keeley F. Characterization of an unusual tropoelastin with truncated C-terminus in the frog. Matrix Biol. 2009;28:432-41 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that, in spite of the absence of these motifs, both frog tropoelastin genes are expressed and incorporated into the elastic matrix, although with differential tissue localizations...
- Chin K, Moeder W, Abdel Hamid H, Shahinas D, Gupta D, Yoshioka K. Importance of the alphaC-helix in the cyclic nucleotide binding domain for the stable channel regulation and function of cyclic nucleotide gated ion channels in Arabidopsis. J Exp Bot. 2010;61:2383-93 pubmed publisher..Our data presented here indicate that the alphaC-helix is functionally important in plant CNGCs. ..
- Hug L, Salehi M, Nuin P, Tillier E, Edwards E. Design and verification of a pangenome microarray oligonucleotide probe set for Dehalococcoides spp. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:5361-9 pubmed publisher..It has the potential to become a common platform for Dehalococcoides-focused research, allowing meaningful comparisons between microarray experiments regardless of the strain examined. ..
- McIntosh E, Ager D, Gadsden M, Haynes R. Human dUTP pyrophosphatase: cDNA sequence and potential biological importance of the enzyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:8020-4 pubmed..We suggest that dUTPase may generally perform an essential role in DNA replication and therefore could serve as a target enzyme for the development of chemotherapeutic compounds. ..
- Machado J, Abdulla P, Hanna W, Hilliker A, Coe I. Genomic analysis of nucleoside transporters in Diptera and functional characterization of DmENT2, a Drosophila equilibrative nucleoside transporter. Physiol Genomics. 2007;28:337-47 pubmed..These data represent the first complete genomic analysis of Dipteran NTs and the first report of the functional characterization of any Dipteran NT. ..
- Ku S, Cornell K, Howell P. Structure of Arabidopsis thaliana 5-methylthioribose kinase reveals a more occluded active site than its bacterial homolog. BMC Struct Biol. 2007;7:70 pubmed..Features of the MTR binding site offer an opportunity for a simple organic salt of an MTR analog to specifically inhibit MTR kinase. ..
- Brokx S, Wernimont A, Dong A, Wasney G, Lin Y, Lew J, et al. Characterization of 14-3-3 proteins from Cryptosporidium parvum. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14827 pubmed publisher..Please note that a web plugin is required to access this enhanced functionality. Instructions for the installation and use of the web plugin are available in Text S1. ..
- Clark G, Ackerman S, Tillier E, Gatti D. Multidimensional mutual information methods for the analysis of covariation in multiple sequence alignments. BMC Bioinformatics. 2014;15:157 pubmed publisher..This approach may be particularly valuable in those cases in which the size of the MSA is small or the quality of the alignment is low, leading to significant differences in the pairs detected by different methods. ..
- Bull P, Cox D. Wilson disease and Menkes disease: new handles on heavy-metal transport. Trends Genet. 1994;10:246-52 pubmed..These two human ATPases are the first putative heavy-metal transporters to be discovered in eukaryotes. ..
- Pilon M, Peng X, Spence A, Plasterk R, Dosch H. The diabetes autoantigen ICA69 and its Caenorhabditis elegans homologue, ric-19, are conserved regulators of neuroendocrine secretion. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3277-88 pubmed
- Bakszt R, Wernimont A, Allali Hassani A, Mok M, Hills T, Hui R, et al. The crystal structure of Toxoplasma gondii pyruvate kinase 1. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12736 pubmed publisher..The sequence and structural particularity would explain the atypical activation by a mono-phosphorylated sugar. The sum of peculiarities raises this enzyme as an emerging target for drug discovery. ..
- Hills T, Srivastava A, Ayi K, Wernimont A, Kain K, Waters A, et al. Characterization of a new phosphatase from Plasmodium. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2011;179:69-79 pubmed publisher..The P. falciparum PGM2 is either an enzyme implicated in the phosphate metabolism of the parasite or a regulator of its life cycle. ..
- Stein L. Using GBrowse 2.0 to visualize and share next-generation sequence data. Brief Bioinform. 2013;14:162-71 pubmed publisher..SAM/BAM tracks provide semantic zooming and support both local and remote data sources. This article provides step-by-step instructions for configuring GBrowse to display NGS data. ..
- Wang X, Roy P, Holland S, Zhang L, Culotti J, Pawson T. Multiple ephrins control cell organization in C. elegans using kinase-dependent and -independent functions of the VAB-1 Eph receptor. Mol Cell. 1999;4:903-13 pubmed..elegans. ..
- Brunt S, Silver J. Molecular cloning and characterization of two different cDNAs encoding the molecular chaperone Hsp90 in the oomycete Achlya ambisexualis. Fungal Genet Biol. 2004;41:239-52 pubmed..Only one of these, i.e., the 86 kDa protein was detected by an anti-phosphoserine antibody, suggesting that the difference in mass of the two Hsp90 isoforms, was due at least in part, to different levels of phosphoserine residues...
- Gribun A, Kimber M, Ching R, Sprangers R, Fiebig K, Houry W. The ClpP double ring tetradecameric protease exhibits plastic ring-ring interactions, and the N termini of its subunits form flexible loops that are essential for ClpXP and ClpAP complex formation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:16185-96 pubmed publisher..Mutation of several amino acid residues in this loop or the truncation of the loop impairs ClpXP and ClpAP complex formation and prevents the coupling between ClpX/ClpA and ClpP activities...
- Walker J, Altamentova S, Ezersky A, Lorca G, Skarina T, Kudritska M, et al. Structural and biochemical study of effector molecule recognition by the E.coli glyoxylate and allantoin utilization regulatory protein AllR. J Mol Biol. 2006;358:810-28 pubmed..Using sedimentation velocity, glyoxylate was shown to conformationally change the AllR tetramer as well as monomer and dimer resulting in altered outline of AllR molecules. ..
- Yamaguchi T, Dumont D, Conlon R, Breitman M, Rossant J. flk-1, an flt-related receptor tyrosine kinase is an early marker for endothelial cell precursors. Development. 1993;118:489-98 pubmed..The expression of these two RTKs appear to correlate with the specification and early differentiation of the endothelial cell lineage respectively, and therefore may play important roles in the establishment of this lineage. ..
- Saridakis V, Sheng Y, Sarkari F, Holowaty M, Shire K, Nguyen T, et al. Structure of the p53 binding domain of HAUSP/USP7 bound to Epstein-Barr nuclear antigen 1 implications for EBV-mediated immortalization. Mol Cell. 2005;18:25-36 pubmed..The data provide a structural and conceptual framework for understanding how EBNA1 might contribute to the survival of Epstein-Barr virus-infected cells. ..
- Kwan J, Warner N, Maini J, Chan Tung K, Zakaria H, Pawson T, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ste50 binds the MAPKKK Ste11 through a head-to-tail SAM domain interaction. J Mol Biol. 2006;356:142-54 pubmed..Yeast bearing mutations that prevented the heterotypic Ste11-Ste50 association in vitro presented signaling defects in the mating and high-osmolarity growth pathways. ..
- Arora P, Conti M, Ravid S, Sacks D, Kapus A, Adelstein R, et al. Rap1 activation in collagen phagocytosis is dependent on nonmuscle myosin II-A. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:5032-46 pubmed publisher..We conclude that MLC phosphorylation in response to initial collagen-bead binding promotes NM II-A filament assembly; binding of Rap1 to myosin filaments enables Rap1-dependent integrin activation and enhanced collagen phagocytosis. ..
- Zheng K, Thorner P, Marrano P, Baumal R, McInnes R. Canine X chromosome-linked hereditary nephritis: a genetic model for human X-linked hereditary nephritis resulting from a single base mutation in the gene encoding the alpha 5 chain of collagen type IV. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:3989-93 pubmed..This model provides an opportunity to determine the efficacy of new therapies and to investigate the role of the alpha 5(IV) chain in type IV collagen assembly...
- Snow B, Krumins A, Brothers G, Lee S, Wall M, Chung S, et al. A G protein gamma subunit-like domain shared between RGS11 and other RGS proteins specifies binding to Gbeta5 subunits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13307-12 pubmed..RGS proteins that contain GGL domains appear to act as GAPs for Galpha proteins and form complexes with specific Gbeta subunits, adding to the combinatorial complexity of G protein-mediated signaling pathways. ..
- Riazi M, Brinkman Mills P, Nguyen T, Pan H, Phan S, Ying F, et al. The human homolog of insect-derived growth factor, CECR1, is a candidate gene for features of cat eye syndrome. Genomics. 2000;64:277-85 pubmed..The location of this gene in the CES critical region and its embryonic expression suggest that the overexpression of CECR1 may be responsible for at least some features of CES, particularly the heart defects. ..
- Qiu L, Pashkova N, Walker J, Winistorfer S, Allali Hassani A, Akutsu M, et al. Structure and function of the PLAA/Ufd3-p97/Cdc48 complex. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:365-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the p97-PLAA interaction is important for a subset of PLAA-dependent biological processes and provides a framework to better understand the role of these complex molecules in the ubiquitin system. ..
- Findlay G, Smith M, Lanner F, Hsiung M, Gish G, Petsalaki E, et al. Interaction domains of Sos1/Grb2 are finely tuned for cooperative control of embryonic stem cell fate. Cell. 2013;152:1008-20 pubmed publisher..This optimized system ensures that PrE lineage commitment occurs in a timely and selective manner during embryogenesis. ..
- Cutler S, Ghassemian M, Bonetta D, Cooney S, McCourt P. A protein farnesyl transferase involved in abscisic acid signal transduction in Arabidopsis. Science. 1996;273:1239-41 pubmed..The era1 mutants suggest that a negative regulator of ABA sensitivity must be acted on by a farnesyl transferase to function. ..
- Nguyen V, Chen S, Trinh J, Kim H, Coomber B, Dumont D. Differential response of lymphatic, venous and arterial endothelial cells to angiopoietin-1 and angiopoietin-2. BMC Cell Biol. 2007;8:10 pubmed..Our results suggest that although both Ang1 and Ang2 can activate the Tie-2 receptor in bmLECs, Ang1 and Ang2 may have distinct roles in mesenteric lymphatic endothelial cells. ..
- Wu B, Lukin J, Yee A, Lemak A, Semesi A, Ramelot T, et al. Solution structure of ribosomal protein L40E, a unique C4 zinc finger protein encoded by archaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus. Protein Sci. 2008;17:589-96 pubmed publisher..It is likely that binding of zinc is essential in stabilizing the tertiary structure of L40E to act as a scaffold to create a broad positively charged surface for RNA and/or protein recognition. ..
- Ma A, Dong J, Ma D, Wells J. Cleavage-resistant fusion proteins of the M(2) muscarinic receptor and G?(i1). Homotropic and heterotropic effects in the binding of ligands. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1810:592-602 pubmed publisher..The properties of a chemically stable fusion protein support the notion that signaling proceeds via a stable multimeric complex of receptor and G protein. ..
- Archambault J, Jansma D, Kawasoe J, Arndt K, Greenblatt J, Friesen J. Stimulation of transcription by mutations affecting conserved regions of RNA polymerase II. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2590-8 pubmed
- Xu C, Bian C, Lam R, Dong A, Min J. The structural basis for selective binding of non-methylated CpG islands by the CFP1 CXXC domain. Nat Commun. 2011;2:227 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that CFP1 has a preference for a guanosine nucleotide following the CpG motif. ..
- Yousef G, Ordon M, Foussias G, Diamandis E. Genomic organization of the siglec gene locus on chromosome 19q13.4 and cloning of two new siglec pseudogenes. Gene. 2002;286:259-70 pubmed..The cytoplasmic domain is always encoded by two exons. We further identified two new Siglec pseudogenes in this locus, and analyzed their tissue expression pattern and their structural features. ..
- Fabian M, White K. 5'-3' RNA-RNA interaction facilitates cap- and poly(A) tail-independent translation of tomato bushy stunt virus mrna: a potential common mechanism for tombusviridae. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28862-72 pubmed..In addition, a survey of other genera in Tombusviridae revealed the potential for similar 5'-3' RNA-RNA-based interactions in their viral mRNAs, suggesting that this mechanism extends throughout this large virus family...
- Indriolo E, Na G, Ellis D, Salt D, Banks J. A vacuolar arsenite transporter necessary for arsenic tolerance in the arsenic hyperaccumulating fern Pteris vittata is missing in flowering plants. Plant Cell. 2010;22:2045-57 pubmed publisher..The duplication of ACR3 in P. vittata and the loss of ACR3 in angiosperms may explain arsenic tolerance in this unusual group of ferns while precluding the same trait in angiosperms...
- Pascal S, Singer A, Gish G, Yamazaki T, Shoelson S, Pawson T, et al. Nuclear magnetic resonance structure of an SH2 domain of phospholipase C-gamma 1 complexed with a high affinity binding peptide. Cell. 1994;77:461-72 pubmed
- Schoots O, Wilson J, Ethier N, Bigras E, Hebert T, Van Tol H. Co-expression of human Kir3 subunits can yield channels with different functional properties. Cell Signal. 1999;11:871-83 pubmed
- Dorywalska M, Coukell B, Dharamsi A. Characterization and hetereologous expression of cDNAs encoding two novel closely related Ca(2+)-binding proteins in Dictyostelium discoideum. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1496:356-61 pubmed..CBP4a and CBP4b mRNAs are expressed at the same stages of development as CBP1 mRNA. In addition, both novel proteins bind (45)Ca(2+) and interact with CBP1 in vitro in a Ca(2+)-dependent manner. ..
- Garces R, Wu N, Gillon W, Pai E. Anabaena circadian clock proteins KaiA and KaiB reveal a potential common binding site to their partner KaiC. EMBO J. 2004;23:1688-98 pubmed..Notably, the functionally relevant residues Arg 69 of KaiA and Arg 23 of KaiB align well in space. The apparent structural similarities suggest that KaiA and KaiB may compete for a potential common binding site on KaiC. ..
- Gao Y, Jheon A, Nourkeyhani H, Kobayashi H, Ganss B. Molecular cloning, structure, expression, and chromosomal localization of the human Osterix (SP7) gene. Gene. 2004;341:101-10 pubmed..13 by fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH). The identification and initial characterization of the SP7 gene will facilitate the study of the molecular regulation of osteoblast differentiation in humans. ..
- Billingsley G, Santhiya S, Paterson A, Ogata K, Wodak S, Hosseini S, et al. CRYBA4, a novel human cataract gene, is also involved in microphthalmia. Am J Hum Genet. 2006;79:702-9 pubmed..Protein folding would consequently be impaired, most probably leading to a structure with reduced stability in the mutant. This is the first report linking mutations in CRYBA4 to cataractogenesis and microphthalmia...
- Stogios P, Chen L, Prive G. Crystal structure of the BTB domain from the LRF/ZBTB7 transcriptional regulator. Protein Sci. 2007;16:336-42 pubmed
- Beloglazova N, Brown G, Zimmerman M, Proudfoot M, Makarova K, Kudritska M, et al. A novel family of sequence-specific endoribonucleases associated with the clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:20361-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, CAS2 proteins are sequence-specific endoribonucleases, and we propose that their role in the CRISPR-mediated anti-phage defense might involve degradation of phage or cellular mRNAs...
- Bokaei P, Ma X, Byczynski B, Keller J, Sakac D, Fahim S, et al. Identification and characterization of five-transmembrane isoforms of human vasoactive intestinal peptide and pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide receptors. Genomics. 2006;88:791-800 pubmed publisher..The identification of these splice variants in various cells and their expression and differential signal transduction compared to the 7TM form suggest that these novel receptors have biological relevance. ..
- Fan X, Zhang H, Zhang S, Bagshaw R, Tropak M, Callahan J, et al. Identification of the gene encoding the enzyme deficient in mucopolysaccharidosis IIIC (Sanfilippo disease type C). Am J Hum Genet. 2006;79:738-44 pubmed..Mutational analyses of two MPS IIIC cell lines identified a splice-junction mutation that accounted for three mutant alleles, and a single base-pair insertion accounted for the fourth. ..
- van Hazel I, Santini F, Muller J, Chang B. Short-wavelength sensitive opsin (SWS1) as a new marker for vertebrate phylogenetics. BMC Evol Biol. 2006;6:97 pubmed..This may result from constraints imposed by the functional role of SWS1 pigments in visual transduction. ..
- Kumaran J, Wei L, Kotra L, Fish E. A structural basis for interferon-alpha-receptor interactions. FASEB J. 2007;21:3288-96 pubmed
- Wu B, Yee A, Huang Y, Ramelot T, Cort J, Semesi A, et al. The solution structure of ribosomal protein S17E from Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum: a structural homolog of the FF domain. Protein Sci. 2008;17:583-8 pubmed publisher..S17E bears a conserved positively charged surface acting as a robust scaffold for molecular recognition. The structure of M. thermoautotrophicum S17E provides a template for homology modeling of eukaryotic S17E proteins in the family...
- Koehler A, Desser S, Chang B, MacDonald J, Tepass U, Ringuette M. Molecular evolution of SPARC: absence of the acidic module and expression in the endoderm of the starlet sea anemone, Nematostella vectensis. Dev Genes Evol. 2009;219:509-21 pubmed publisher..We propose that further Ca(2+)-dependent activities emerged with the acquisition of an acidic N-terminal module in triplobastic organisms. ..
- Retnakaran R, Flock G, Giguere V. Identification of RVR, a novel orphan nuclear receptor that acts as a negative transcriptional regulator. Mol Endocrinol. 1994;8:1234-44 pubmed