Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on retinoblastoma protein in London, Ontario, Canada
Locale: London, Ontario, Canada
Topic: retinoblastoma protein
- Apostolova M, Ivanova I, Dagnino C, D Souza S, Dagnino L. Active nuclear import and export pathways regulate E2F-5 subcellular localization. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:34471-9 pubmed..This region excludes the DNA- and the p130-binding domains. Thus, the subcellular distribution of E2F-5 is tightly regulated in intact cells, through multiple functional domains that direct nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of this protein. ..
- Isaac C, Francis S, Martens A, Julian L, Seifried L, Erdmann N, et al. The retinoblastoma protein regulates pericentric heterochromatin. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:3659-71 pubmed..These results demonstrate the surprising finding that pRb uses the LXCXE binding cleft to control chromatin structure for the regulation of events beyond the G(1)-to-S-phase transition. ..
- Francis S, Bergsied J, Isaac C, Coschi C, Martens A, Hojilla C, et al. A functional connection between pRB and transforming growth factor beta in growth inhibition and mammary gland development. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4455-66 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our work demonstrates a unique functional connection between pRB and TGF-beta in growth control and mammary gland development. ..
- Talluri S, Isaac C, Ahmad M, Henley S, Francis S, Martens A, et al. A G1 checkpoint mediated by the retinoblastoma protein that is dispensable in terminal differentiation but essential for senescence. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:948-60 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, this reveals that pRB recruits chromatin regulators primarily to engage a stress-responsive G(1) arrest program. ..
- Coschi C, Martens A, Ritchie K, Francis S, Chakrabarti S, Berube N, et al. Mitotic chromosome condensation mediated by the retinoblastoma protein is tumor-suppressive. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1351-63 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a new mechanism of tumor suppression, facilitated by pRB, in which genome stability is maintained by proper condensation of mitotic chromosomes. ..
- Francis S, Chakrabarti S, Dick F. A context-specific role for retinoblastoma protein-dependent negative growth control in suppressing mammary tumorigenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16434 pubmed publisher..Our work demonstrates that negative growth control by pRB acts as a crucial barrier against oncogenic transformation. Strikingly, our data also reveals that this tumor suppressive effect is context-dependent. ..
- Carnevale J, Palander O, Seifried L, Dick F. DNA damage signals through differentially modified E2F1 molecules to induce apoptosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:900-12 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that DNA damage signals alter pRB and E2F1 to engage them in functions leading to apoptotic induction that are distinct from pRB-E2F regulation in cell cycle control. ..
- Talluri S, Dick F. Regulation of transcription and chromatin structure by pRB: here, there and everywhere. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:3189-98 pubmed publisher..In this review we discuss pRB function through protein-protein interactions, at the level of transcriptional regulation of individual promoters and in organizing higher order chromatin domains. ..
- Dick F, Rubin S. Molecular mechanisms underlying RB protein function. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2013;14:297-306 pubmed publisher..These advances and new structural studies are combining to define the multifunctionality of RB. ..
- Cecchini M, Thwaites M, Talluri S, MacDonald J, Passos D, Chong J, et al. A retinoblastoma allele that is mutated at its common E2F interaction site inhibits cell proliferation in gene-targeted mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:2029-45 pubmed publisher..This suggests that non-E2F-, pRB-dependent pathways may have a more relevant role in proliferative control than previously identified. ..