Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on quaternary protein structure in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Topic: quaternary protein structure
- Rashid A, So C, Kong M, Furtak T, El Ghundi M, Cheng R, et al. D1-D2 dopamine receptor heterooligomers with unique pharmacology are coupled to rapid activation of Gq/11 in the striatum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:654-9 pubmed
- Avvakumov G, Walker J, Xue S, Finerty P, MacKenzie F, Newman E, et al. Amino-terminal dimerization, NRDP1-rhodanese interaction, and inhibited catalytic domain conformation of the ubiquitin-specific protease 8 (USP8). J Biol Chem. 2006;281:38061-70 pubmed..The presence of a zinc ribbon subdomain near the ubiquitin binding site further suggests a polyubiquitin-specific binding site and a mechanism for substrate induced conformational changes. ..
- Chow A, Ferrier Pages C, Khalouei S, Reynaud S, Brown I. Increased light intensity induces heat shock protein Hsp60 in coral species. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2009;14:469-76 pubmed publisher..This supports a correlation between stress induction of Hsp60 and (a) ability to counter perturbation of photosynthetic capacity by light and heat stress and (b) resistance to environmentally induced coral bleaching. ..
- Walker J, Altamentova S, Ezersky A, Lorca G, Skarina T, Kudritska M, et al. Structural and biochemical study of effector molecule recognition by the E.coli glyoxylate and allantoin utilization regulatory protein AllR. J Mol Biol. 2006;358:810-28 pubmed..Using sedimentation velocity, glyoxylate was shown to conformationally change the AllR tetramer as well as monomer and dimer resulting in altered outline of AllR molecules. ..
- Li G, Zhang Y, Chan M, Mal T, Hoeflich K, Inouye M, et al. Characterization of dual substrate binding sites in the homodimeric structure of Escherichia coli mRNA interferase MazF. J Mol Biol. 2006;357:139-50 pubmed
- Sarkari F, La Delfa A, Arrowsmith C, Frappier L, Sheng Y, Saridakis V. Further insight into substrate recognition by USP7: structural and biochemical analysis of the HdmX and Hdm2 interactions with USP7. J Mol Biol. 2010;402:825-37 pubmed publisher..These results lead to a better understanding of the mechanism of substrate recognition by USP7-NTD. ..
- Lau W, Rubinstein J. Structure of intact Thermus thermophilus V-ATPase by cryo-EM reveals organization of the membrane-bound V(O) motor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:1367-72 pubmed publisher..The arrangement of structural elements in V(O) gives insight into the mechanism of torque generation from proton translocation...
- Narindrasorasak S, Kulkarni P, Deschamps P, She Y, Sarkar B. Characterization and copper binding properties of human COMMD1 (MURR1). Biochemistry. 2007;46:3116-28 pubmed..Taken together, the data provide insight into the function of COMMD1 and especially COMMD(61-154), a product of exon 2 that is deleted in terriers affected by copper toxicosis, as a regulator of copper homeostasis. ..
- Religa T, Sprangers R, Kay L. Dynamic regulation of archaeal proteasome gate opening as studied by TROSY NMR. Science. 2010;328:98-102 pubmed publisher..Interconversion between these conformers on a time scale of seconds leads to a dynamic regulation of 20S CP proteolysis activity...
- Chakrabarti N, Roux B, Pomès R. Structural determinants of proton blockage in aquaporins. J Mol Biol. 2004;343:493-510 pubmed
- Ku S, Cornell K, Howell P. Structure of Arabidopsis thaliana 5-methylthioribose kinase reveals a more occluded active site than its bacterial homolog. BMC Struct Biol. 2007;7:70 pubmed..Features of the MTR binding site offer an opportunity for a simple organic salt of an MTR analog to specifically inhibit MTR kinase. ..
- Bhavnani B, Tam S, Lu X. Structure activity relationships and differential interactions and functional activity of various equine estrogens mediated via estrogen receptors (ERs) ERalpha and ERbeta. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4857-70 pubmed publisher..It is now possible to develop hormone replacement therapy using selective ring B unsaturated estrogens for target tissues where ERbeta is the predominant ER. ..
- Mittermaier A, Kay L. Chi1 torsion angle dynamics in proteins from dipolar couplings. J Am Chem Soc. 2001;123:6892-903 pubmed..This study demonstrates that dipolar couplings may be used to characterize both the conformation of static residues and side-chain motion with high precision. ..
- Ma A, Redka D, Pisterzi L, Angers S, Wells J. Recovery of oligomers and cooperativity when monomers of the M2 muscarinic cholinergic receptor are reconstituted into phospholipid vesicles. Biochemistry. 2007;46:7907-27 pubmed..Monomers of the M2 receptor therefore can be assembled into tetramers with binding properties that closely resemble those of the muscarinic receptor in myocardial preparations. ..
- Thibault G, Yudin J, Wong P, Tsitrin V, Sprangers R, Zhao R, et al. Specificity in substrate and cofactor recognition by the N-terminal domain of the chaperone ClpX. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17724-9 pubmed..The data suggest a model for the interaction between SspB2 and the ClpX hexamer. ..
- Mrkobrada S, Boucher L, Ceccarelli D, Tyers M, Sicheri F. Structural and functional analysis of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mob1. J Mol Biol. 2006;362:430-40 pubmed..The N-terminal region of Mob1 thus contains structural elements that are functionally important. ..
- Melnyk R, Partridge A, Deber C. Transmembrane domain mediated self-assembly of major coat protein subunits from Ff bacteriophage. J Mol Biol. 2002;315:63-72 pubmed
- Kwan J, Donaldson L. The NMR structure of the murine DLC2 SAM domain reveals a variant fold that is similar to a four-helix bundle. BMC Struct Biol. 2007;7:34 pubmed..The DLC2-SAM domain adopts a structure that is topologically more similar to an anti-parallel four-helix bundle than a canonical SAM domain. This alternate topology may allow the DLC2-SAM domain to interact with a novel set of ligands. ..
- Redka D, Pisterzi L, Wells J. Binding of orthosteric ligands to the allosteric site of the M(2) muscarinic cholinergic receptor. Mol Pharmacol. 2008;74:834-43 pubmed publisher..Ligands generally assumed to be exclusively orthosteric therefore can act at the allosteric site of the M(2) receptor, albeit at comparatively high concentrations...
- Chan M, Karasawa S, Mizuno H, Bosanac I, Ho D, Prive G, et al. Structural characterization of a blue chromoprotein and its yellow mutant from the sea anemone Cnidopus japonicus. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:37813-9 pubmed..We conclude that the dynamics and structure of the chromophore are both essential for the optical appearance of these color proteins. ..
- Rajakulendran T, Sahmi M, Lefrancois M, Sicheri F, Therrien M. A dimerization-dependent mechanism drives RAF catalytic activation. Nature. 2009;461:542-5 pubmed publisher..Together, our data identify the side-to-side dimer interface of RAF as a potential therapeutic target for intervention in BRAF-dependent tumorigenesis. ..
- Leung Y, Kang Y, Xia F, Sheu L, Gao X, Xie H, et al. Open form of syntaxin-1A is a more potent inhibitor than wild-type syntaxin-1A of Kv2.1 channels. Biochem J. 2005;387:195-202 pubmed..1 channel. Such stronger inhibition by the open form of Syn-1A may limit K+ efflux and thus decelerate membrane repolarization during exocytosis, leading to optimization of insulin release. ..
- Zarghooni M, Bukovac S, Tropak M, Callahan J, Mahuran D. An alpha-subunit loop structure is required for GM2 activator protein binding by beta-hexosaminidase A. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;324:1048-52 pubmed..Our data suggest an unexpected biological role for such proteolytic processing events. ..
- Lee J, Cornell K, Riscoe M, Howell P. Structure of E. coli 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase reveals similarity to the purine nucleoside phosphorylases. Structure. 2001;9:941-53 pubmed..The structure of MTA/AdoHcy nucleosidase is the first structure of a prokaryotic nucleoside N-ribohydrolase specific for 6-aminopurines...
- Wang Y, Penfold S, Tang X, Hattori N, Riley P, Harper J, et al. Deletion of the Cul1 gene in mice causes arrest in early embryogenesis and accumulation of cyclin E. Curr Biol. 1999;9:1191-4 pubmed..These results suggest that cyclin E abundance is controlled by SCF activity, possibly through SCF-dependent degradation of cyclin E. ..
- Khan M, Sweeting B, Mulligan V, Arslan P, Cashman N, Pai E, et al. Prion disease susceptibility is affected by beta-structure folding propensity and local side-chain interactions in PrP. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19808-13 pubmed publisher..Removal of this capping motif increases the ?-structure folding propensity of rabbit PrP to match that of PrP from mouse, a species more susceptible to prion disease. ..