Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Publications2358 found, 100 shown here
- Eakin J, Champoux D, MacEachen E. Health and safety in small workplaces: refocusing upstream. Can J Public Health. 2010;101 Suppl 1:S29-33 pubmed
- Lam G, Huang J, Brumell J. The many roles of NOX2 NADPH oxidase-derived ROS in immunity. Semin Immunopathol. 2010;32:415-30 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, recent studies have revealed a novel role for the NOX2 NADPH oxidase in the activation of autophagy, a cellular degradative pathway. Here, we examine these functions of NOX2 NADPH oxidase in immunity. ..
- Ma A, Dong J, Ma D, Wells J. Cleavage-resistant fusion proteins of the M(2) muscarinic receptor and G?(i1). Homotropic and heterotropic effects in the binding of ligands. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1810:592-602 pubmed publisher..The properties of a chemically stable fusion protein support the notion that signaling proceeds via a stable multimeric complex of receptor and G protein. ..
- Ho T, Barbera L, Saskin R, Lu H, Neville B, Earle C. Trends in the aggressiveness of end-of-life cancer care in the universal health care system of Ontario, Canada. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:1587-91 pubmed publisher..Health system characteristics and patient or physician cultural factors may play a role in the observed differences. ..
- Kinnear T, Wolever T, Murphy A, Sullivan J, Liu Q, Bizimungu B. Effect of preparation method on the glycaemic index of novel potato clones. Food Funct. 2011;2:438-44 pubmed publisher..However, the mechanism for the effect is not clear: the 2% increase in starch malabsorption seen upon cooling potatoes was not nearly enough to account for the 37% reduction in GI. ..
- Shukla P, Singh K, Quan A, Al Omran M, Teoh H, Lovren F, et al. BRCA1 is an essential regulator of heart function and survival following myocardial infarction. Nat Commun. 2011;2:593 pubmed publisher..BRCA1 mutation carriers, in addition to risk of breast and ovarian cancer, may be at a previously unrecognized risk of cardiac failure. ..
- McBane J, Sharifpoor S, Labow R, Ruel M, Suuronen E, Santerre J. Tissue engineering a small diameter vessel substitute: engineering constructs with select biomaterials and cells. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2012;10:347-60 pubmed..The discussion of these significant research challenges constitutes the focus of this review. ..
- Vincent A, Munier F, Vandenhoven C, Wright T, Westall C, Heon E. The characterization of retinal phenotype in a family with C1QTNF5-related late-onset retinal degeneration. Retina. 2012;32:1643-51 pubmed publisher..Electrooculography demonstrates abnormalities only in late stages of the disease. ..
- Scourboutakos M, L Abbé M. Sodium levels in Canadian fast-food and sit-down restaurants. Can J Public Health. 2013;104:e2-8 pubmed..The sodium content in Canadian restaurant foods is alarmingly high. A population-wide sodium reduction strategy needs to address the high levels of sodium in restaurant foods. ..
- Arora P, Vasa P, Brenner D, Iglar K, McFarlane P, Morrison H, et al. Prevalence estimates of chronic kidney disease in Canada: results of a nationally representative survey. CMAJ. 2013;185:E417-23 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the potential for missed opportunities for early intervention and secondary prevention of chronic kidney disease. ..
- Miller T, Zak V, Shrader P, Ravishankar C, Pemberton V, Newburger J, et al. Growth Asymmetry, Head Circumference, and Neurodevelopmental Outcomes in Infants with Single Ventricles. J Pediatr. 2016;168:220-5.e1 pubmed publisher..Asymmetric growth, important in other high-risk infants, is not a brain-sparing adaptation in infants with SV. Clinicaltrials.gov: NCT00113087. ..
- Davies A, Jackson N, Barlow M, Leitch J. Long Term Follow-up of Pulmonary Vein Isolation Using Cryoballoon Ablation. Heart Lung Circ. 2016;25:290-5 pubmed publisher..5% in the persistent group. The rate of complications was low. Cryoballoon ablation is an effective catheter-based approach for treating symptomatic AF with a low risk of complications. ..
- Harrison R. How can the audiogram be more useful?. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016;45:18 pubmed publisher..This letter is designed to create awareness and to seek feedback from hearing healthcare professionals on their experience regarding the adequacy (or otherwise) of the audiogram in its present form. ..
- Lim Reinders S, Keller B, Al Ward S, Sahgal A, Kim A. Online Adaptive Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:994-1003 pubmed publisher..These explorations are reviewed here for a variety of sites. ..
- Erlich C, Rootman D, Morin J. Corneal transplantation in infants, children and young adults: experience of the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children, 1979-88. Can J Ophthalmol. 1991;26:206-10 pubmed..However, the poor outcome in the congenital glaucoma group indicates that the procedure is not warranted in such patients...
- Snow B, Hall R, Krumins A, Brothers G, Bouchard D, Brothers C, et al. GTPase activating specificity of RGS12 and binding specificity of an alternatively spliced PDZ (PSD-95/Dlg/ZO-1) domain. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:17749-55 pubmed..The presence of an alternatively spliced PDZ domain within RGS12 suggests a mechanism by which RGS proteins may target specific G-protein-coupled receptor systems for desensitization. ..
- Taddio A, Pollock N, Gilbert MacLeod C, Ohlsson K, Koren G. Combined analgesia and local anesthesia to minimize pain during circumcision. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2000;154:620-3 pubmed..Pain of circumcision is only partially relieved by single modalities, such as penile nerve block, lidocaine-prilocaine cream, and sucrose pacifiers...
- Yoon I, Li P, Siu K, Kennedy J, Cooke R, Parikh S, et al. Altered IMPA2 gene expression and calcium homeostasis in bipolar disorder. Mol Psychiatry. 2001;6:678-83 pubmed..025, n = 4/group). Collectively, these observations suggest a potential sex-dependent link between abnormalities in IMPA2 expression and calcium homeostasis in the pathophysiology of BD. ..
- Lexchin J. Effects of restrictive formularies in the ambulatory care setting. Am J Manag Care. 2002;8:69-76 pubmed..Before changes are made in formularies, money needs to be set aside for research into short-term and long-term consequences of using restrictive formularies. ..
- Tsoporis J, Marks A, Zimmer D, McMahon C, Parker T. The myocardial protein S100A1 plays a role in the maintenance of normal gene expression in the adult heart. Mol Cell Biochem. 2003;242:27-33 pubmed..These results suggest that S100A1 is involved in the maintenance of the genetic program that defines normal myocardial function and that its downregulation is permissive for the induction of genes that underlie myocardial hypertrophy. ..
- Mori A, Bruneau B. TBX5 mutations and congenital heart disease: Holt-Oram syndrome revealed. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2004;19:211-5 pubmed..This review summarizes recent developments in the study of TBX5 as it relates to congenital heart disease and the pathology of HOS...
- Elkelini M, Hassouna M. Canadian experience in sacral neuromodulation. Urol Clin North Am. 2005;32:41-9 pubmed..Furthermore, local anesthesia instead of general anesthesia allows faster patient recovery and reduces complications. Finally, sacral neuromodulation offers a modality in the management of patients with voiding dysfunction. ..
- Lau A, Berry L, Mitchell L, Chan A. Effect of substrate and fibrin polymerization inhibitor on determination of plasma thrombin generation in vitro. Thromb Res. 2007;119:667-77 pubmed..In vitro plasma thrombin generation is delayed and increased by slow-acting substrate and fibrin polymerization inhibitor. ..
- Couto J, Gomez L, Wigg K, Cate Carter T, Archibald J, Anderson B, et al. The KIAA0319-like (KIAA0319L) gene on chromosome 1p34 as a candidate for reading disabilities. J Neurogenet. 2008;22:295-313 pubmed publisher..Additional studies in independent samples are now required to confirm these findings. ..
- Sanderson M, Lau C, Schnapp A, Chow C. Syk: a novel target for treatment of inflammation in lung disease. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2009;8:87-95 pubmed..In addition, data describing the efficacy of novel Syk inhibitors in the management of inflammatory diseases in animal models and early clinical trials are also reviewed. ..
- Hwang S, Wilkins R, Tjepkema M, O Campo P, Dunn J. Mortality among residents of shelters, rooming houses, and hotels in Canada: 11 year follow-up study. BMJ. 2009;339:b4036 pubmed publisher..Reducing the excessively high rates of premature mortality in this population would require interventions to address deaths related to smoking, alcohol, and drugs, and mental disorders and suicide, among other causes. ..
- Pang A, MacDonald J, Pinto D, Wei J, Rafiq M, Conrad D, et al. Towards a comprehensive structural variation map of an individual human genome. Genome Biol. 2010;11:R52 pubmed publisher..The new catalogue of structural variants generated for this genome provides a crucial resource for future comparison studies. ..
- Smith P, Stock S, McLeod C, Koehoorn M, Marchand A, Mustard C. Research opportunities using administrative databases and existing surveys for new knowledge in occupational health and safety in Canada, Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia. Can J Public Health. 2010;101 Suppl 1:S46-52 pubmed..As research using these data sources expands, a consistent understanding within the work and health research community must be forged concerning the strengths and limitations of these data resources and their comparability. ..
- John R, Konvalinka A, Tobar A, Kim S, Reich H, Herzenberg A. Determinants of long-term graft outcome in transplant glomerulopathy. Transplantation. 2010;90:757-64 pubmed publisher..C4d positivity was associated with a more rapid rate of function decline. eGFR slope data showed significant deterioration in graft function well before the diagnostic biopsy. ..
- Hsiao M, Morris S, Bassani D, Montgomery A, Thakur J, Jha P. Factors associated with physician agreement on verbal autopsy of over 11,500 injury deaths in India. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30336 pubmed publisher..Physician training and continued adaptation of the VA tool should focus on the reasons these factors influenced physician agreement. ..
- Ahmed N, Conn L, Chiu M, Korabi B, Qureshi A, Nathens A, et al. Career satisfaction among general surgeons in Canada: a qualitative study of enablers and barriers to improve recruitment and retention in general surgery. Acad Med. 2012;87:1616-21 pubmed publisher..The modern general surgeon values a balance between professional obligations and personal time that may be difficult to achieve given the current system constraints. ..
- Dolmage T, Janaudis Ferreira T, Hill K, Price S, Brooks D, Goldstein R. Arm elevation and coordinated breathing strategies in patients with COPD. Chest. 2013;144:128-135 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov; No: NCT00836108; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Martin T, Solbeck P, Mayers D, Langille R, Buczek Y, Pelletier M. A review of alcohol-impaired driving: the role of blood alcohol concentration and complexity of the driving task. J Forensic Sci. 2013;58:1238-50 pubmed publisher..050% impairs faculties required in the operation of a motor vehicle. Whether impairment is apparent depends upon the complexity of the driving task, which applies to both study design and actual driving. ..
- Kontis V, Mathers C, Rehm J, Stevens G, Shield K, Bonita R, et al. Contribution of six risk factors to achieving the 25×25 non-communicable disease mortality reduction target: a modelling study. Lancet. 2014;384:427-37 pubmed publisher..On the basis of mortality benefits and feasibility, a more ambitious target than currently agreed should be adopted for tobacco use. UK MRC. ..
- Rodin D, Grover S, Xu M, Hanna T, Olson R, Schreiner L, et al. Radiotherapeutic Management of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer in the Minimal Resource Setting. J Thorac Oncol. 2016;11:21-9 pubmed publisher..Several international initiatives are currently under way and represent important first steps toward scaling up RT in LMICs to treat lung cancer. ..
- Lakschevitz F, Hassanpour S, Rubin A, Fine N, Sun C, Glogauer M. Identification of neutrophil surface marker changes in health and inflammation using high-throughput screening flow cytometry. Exp Cell Res. 2016;342:200-9 pubmed publisher..The screen also demonstrated that tissue neutrophils from chronically inflamed tissue display a unique surface marker set compared to tissue neutrophils present in healthy, non-inflamed tissues. ..
- Smith P, Koehoorn M. Measuring gender when you don't have a gender measure: constructing a gender index using survey data. Int J Equity Health. 2016;15:82 pubmed publisher..The article concludes by outlining an approach to use this measure to examine the relative contribution of gender and sex on differences in health status (or other outcomes) between men and women. ..
- Bourdeau A, Dumont D, Letarte M. A murine model of hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. J Clin Invest. 1999;104:1343-51 pubmed..In this murine model of HHT, it appears that epigenetic factors and modifier genes, some of which are present in 129/Ola, contribute to disease heterogeneity. ..
- Wong A, Keating A, Lu W, Duchesneau P, Wang X, Sacher A, et al. Identification of a bone marrow-derived epithelial-like population capable of repopulating injured mouse airway epithelium. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:336-48 pubmed publisher..Additionally, these data could reconcile previous controversies regarding the contribution of bone marrow to lung regeneration. ..
- Josse A, Jenkins D, Kendall C. Nutritional determinants of the metabolic syndrome. J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics. 2008;1:109-17 pubmed publisher..This situation appears to be one where the subsidiary solutions are complex and the central issue is simple. ..
- Seet E, Yousaf F, Gupta S, Subramanyam R, Wong D, Chung F. Use of manometry for laryngeal mask airway reduces postoperative pharyngolaryngeal adverse events: a prospective, randomized trial. Anesthesiology. 2010;112:652-7 pubmed publisher..The LMA cuff pressures should be measured routinely using manometry, and deflating the intracuff pressure to less than 44 mmHg should be recommended as anesthetic best practice. ..
- Chandran V, Shen H, Pollock R, Pellett F, Carty A, Cook R, et al. Soluble biomarkers associated with response to treatment with tumor necrosis factor inhibitors in psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2013;40:866-71 pubmed publisher..039). None of the other biomarkers was associated with response. Baseline as well as reduction in serum MMP-3 and increase in serum COMP are independently associated with response to TNFi therapy in patients with PsA. ..
- Cayabyab F, Schlichter L. Regulation of an ERG K+ current by Src tyrosine kinase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13673-81 pubmed..Thus, r-ERG1 and Src tyrosine kinase appear to exist in a signaling complex that is well positioned to modulate this K(+) channel and affect its contribution to cellular functions. ..
- Long I, Han K, Li M, Shirasawa S, Sasazuki T, Johnston M, et al. Met receptor overexpression and oncogenic Ki-ras mutation cooperate to enhance tumorigenicity of colon cancer cells in vivo. Mol Cancer Res. 2003;1:393-401 pubmed..The results suggest that Ki-ras mutations and HGF signaling cooperate to enhance tumor growth by increased duration of MAPK activation and decreased apoptosis in human carcinoma cells. ..
- Fam S, Gallagher C, Kalia L, Salter M. Differential frequency dependence of P2Y1- and P2Y2- mediated Ca 2+ signaling in astrocytes. J Neurosci. 2003;23:4437-44 pubmed..We propose that frequency-dependent changes in ATP-mediated Ca 2+ signaling pathways may modulate astrocyte function and astrocyte-neuron signaling in the CNS. ..
- Mandell M, Pavlin C, Weisbrod D, Simpson E. Anterior chamber depth in plateau iris syndrome and pupillary block as measured by ultrasound biomicroscopy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2003;136:900-3 pubmed..This study found that the ACD associated with plateau iris syndrome is shallower than normal and also shallower than in pupillary block. ..
- Mamelak M, Black J, Montplaisir J, Ristanovic R. A pilot study on the effects of sodium oxybate on sleep architecture and daytime alertness in narcolepsy. Sleep. 2004;27:1327-34 pubmed..To measure the effect of nocturnal sodium oxybate administration on sleep architecture in patients with narcolepsy...
- Pinnaduwage D, Briollais L. Comparison of genotype- and haplotype-based approaches for fine-mapping of alcohol dependence using COGA data. BMC Genet. 2005;6 Suppl 1:S65 pubmed..However, caution should be taken when generalizing these results to other chromosomal regions or to other populations. ..
- Letourneau D, Wong R, Moseley D, Sharpe M, Ansell S, Gospodarowicz M, et al. Online planning and delivery technique for radiotherapy of spinal metastases using cone-beam CT: image quality and system performance. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007;67:1229-37 pubmed..The process was performed in one session equivalent to an initial treatment slot (<30 min) with dosimetric accuracy satisfying accepted RT standards. ..
- McGuire T, Gomes P, Forte V, Sandor G. Rapidly growing intraoral swelling involving the maxilla of an infant. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007;65:1595-9 pubmed
- De Luca V, Muller D, Hwang R, Lieberman J, Volavka J, Meltzer H, et al. HTR2C haplotypes and antipsychotics-induced weight gain: X-linked multimarker analysis. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2007;22:463-7 pubmed..e., ethnicity, medications, clinical response, time of assessment). ..
- Lunt S, Kalliomaki T, Brown A, Yang V, Milosevic M, Hill R. Interstitial fluid pressure, vascularity and metastasis in ectopic, orthotopic and spontaneous tumours. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:2 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate a strong stochastic aspect to tumour IFP development, notably the variation apparent between different tumours within the same animal and the lack of correlation between donor and recipient tumours. ..
- Otsubo H, Ochi A, Imai K, Akiyama T, Fujimoto A, Go C, et al. High-frequency oscillations of ictal muscle activity and epileptogenic discharges on intracranial EEG in a temporal lobe epilepsy patient. Clin Neurophysiol. 2008;119:862-8 pubmed publisher..The pattern and distribution of frequency power spectrograms of extracranial HFOs differ from those of intracranial HFOs. ..
- De S, Al Nabhani D, Thorner P, Cattran D, Piscione T, Licht C. Remission of resistant MPGN type I with mycophenolate mofetil and steroids. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009;24:597-600 pubmed publisher..In summary, this case suggests that there may be potential benefit for use of MMF in children with refractory MPGN I, which supports the rationale for prospectively evaluating MMF treatment in a treatment trial of refractory MPGN I...
- Lilker S, Rofaeel A, Balki M, Carvalho J. Comparison of fentanyl and sufentanil as adjuncts to bupivacaine for labor epidural analgesia. J Clin Anesth. 2009;21:108-12 pubmed publisher..At the assumed equipotent sufentanil to fentanyl ratio of 6:1, there is some evidence that sufentanil is clinically superior to fentanyl as an adjunct to bupivacaine in labor epidurals, although the advantages are subtle. ..
- Cawthorn T, Amir E, Broom R, Freedman O, Gianfelice D, Barth D, et al. Mechanisms and pathways of bone metastasis: challenges and pitfalls of performing molecular research on patient samples. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2009;26:935-43 pubmed publisher..Larger biopsy specimens or improved RNA extraction techniques may improve analysable yield and feasibility of these techniques. ..
- Zwarenstein M, Fairall L, Lombard C, Mayers P, Bheekie A, English R, et al. Outreach education for integration of HIV/AIDS care, antiretroviral treatment, and tuberculosis care in primary care clinics in South Africa: PALSA PLUS pragmatic cluster randomised trial. BMJ. 2011;342:d2022 pubmed publisher..It is now being widely implemented in South Africa. Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN 24820584. ..
- Balma Mena A, Lara Corrales I, Zeller J, Richardson S, McGavin M, Weinstein M, et al. Colonization with community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in children with atopic dermatitis: a cross-sectional study. Int J Dermatol. 2011;50:682-8 pubmed publisher..Bacterial infection with Staphylococcus aureus is a common complication of atopic dermatitis (AD). The incidence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant S. aureus infection (MRSA) in the AD population is unknown...
- Azad A, Bairati I, Samson E, Cheng D, Cheng L, Mirshams M, et al. Genetic sequence variants and the development of secondary primary cancers in patients with head and neck cancers. Cancer. 2012;118:1554-65 pubmed publisher..Aberrant DNA methylation may be an important modulator of SPC development in at-risk individuals with HNCs. ..
- Keystone E, Kremer J, Russell A, Box J, Abud Mendoza C, Elizondo M, et al. Abatacept in subjects who switch from intravenous to subcutaneous therapy: results from the phase IIIb ATTUNE study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71:857-61 pubmed publisher..This study further supports SC abatacept as an alternative treatment option for patients with RA. ..
- Erpelding N, Moayedi M, Davis K. Cortical thickness correlates of pain and temperature sensitivity. Pain. 2012;153:1602-9 pubmed publisher..These cortical gray matter correlates of thermal and pain sensitivity provide a neural basis for individual differences in thermal sensitivity. ..
- Berdahl C, Vermeulen M, Larson D, Schull M. Emergency department computed tomography utilization in the United States and Canada. Ann Emerg Med. 2013;62:486-494.e3 pubmed publisher..Investigation of both clinical and nonclinical reasons for the differences in CT utilization between the United States and Canada would be a fruitful area for further research. ..
- Pocanschi C, Ehsani S, Mehrabian M, Wille H, Reginold W, Trimble W, et al. The ZIP5 ectodomain co-localizes with PrP and may acquire a PrP-like fold that assembles into a dimer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72446 pubmed publisher..The use of a mammalian cell expression system also allowed for the expression and purification of stable preparations of Takifugu rubripes PrP-1, thereby overcoming a key hindrance to high-resolution work on a fish PrP(C). ..
- Kirchberger M, Russo F. Harmonic Frequency Lowering: Effects on the Perception of Music Detail and Sound Quality. Trends Hear. 2016;20: pubmed publisher..Results showed that participants reported perceiving the most detail in the HFL condition. In addition, there was no difference in sound quality across conditions. ..
- Ball G, Spence N, Browne N, O CONNOR K, Srikameswaran S, Zelichowska J, et al. The readiness and motivation interview for families (RMI-Family) managing pediatric obesity: study protocol. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:261 pubmed publisher..Findings will help to create an innovative, tailored model of health care delivery that uses resources judiciously and is designed to best meet families' needs. ..
- O Brien K, Tynan A, Nixon S, Glazier R. Effectiveness of Progressive Resistive Exercise (PRE) in the context of HIV: systematic review and meta-analysis using the Cochrane Collaboration protocol. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:268 pubmed publisher..Exercise may be considered a safe and beneficial for enhancing the health of medically stable adults aging with HIV. ..
- Kapur S, Zipursky R, Remington G, Jones C, DaSilva J, Wilson A, et al. 5-HT2 and D2 receptor occupancy of olanzapine in schizophrenia: a PET investigation. Am J Psychiatry. 1998;155:921-8 pubmed..However, doses of 30 mg/day and higher are associated with more than 80% D2 occupancy and may have a higher likelihood of prolactin elevation and extrapyramidal side effects. ..
- Gupta A, Ryder J, Skinner A. Treatment of onychomycosis: pros and cons of antifungal agents. J Cutan Med Surg. 2004;8:25-30 pubmed
- Abla O, Gassas A, Stevens R, Grant R, Abdelhaleem M. bcr-abl-positive T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia associated with parvovirus B19 infection. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2006;28:98-9 pubmed..He died 8 months after transplant due to idiopathic pneumonia syndrome, but without evidence of relapsed disease. ..
- Serra S, Asa S, Chetty R. Intracytoplasmic inclusions (including the so-called "rhabdoid" phenotype) in pancreatic endocrine tumors. Endocr Pathol. 2006;17:75-81 pubmed..This phenotype, in particular the rhabdoid cells, is worthy of attention as a proportion may show lymphovascular invasion with evidence of metastasis at the time of presentation, irrespective of size, mitotic rates, or necrosis...
- Robinson B. Lactic acidemia and mitochondrial disease. Mol Genet Metab. 2006;89:3-13 pubmed..In this review, we look at the classification of mitochondrial disease from the perspective of not just the genetic and biochemical etiology but also from the perspective of the clinical phenotypic expression...
- Flaman F, Zieroth S, Rao V, Ross H, Delgado D. Basiliximab versus rabbit anti-thymocyte globulin for induction therapy in patients after heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2006;25:1358-62 pubmed..Rabbit anti-thymocyte globulin is more effective than basiliximab for prevention of rejection episodes after heart transplantation. Both induction agents provide similar safety profile. ..
- Cooper R. Complications associated with the use of the GlideScope videolaryngoscope. Can J Anaesth. 2007;54:54-7 pubmed..Strategies to minimize this complication are considered. ..
- McCartney C, Xu D, Constantinescu C, Abbas S, Chan V. Ultrasound examination of peripheral nerves in the forearm. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2007;32:434-9 pubmed..Nerves in the forearm are consistently located using ultrasound. Further confirmation in clinical practice is required. ..
- Gooi M, Bell C. Differences in generic drug prices between the US and Canada. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2008;6:19-26 pubmed..The lowest priced generic medications were not consistently found in either the US or Canada. The price controls and ensuing savings applied in Canada to prescription patented medications do not fully extend to generic medications. ..
- Selby R, Geerts W, Ofosu F, Craven S, Dewar L, Phillips A, et al. Hypercoagulability after trauma: hemostatic changes and relationship to venous thromboembolism. Thromb Res. 2009;124:281-7 pubmed publisher..Coagulation markers do not appear to add independent predictive value in detecting VTE. Increasing age is the most important clinical predictor of VTE after trauma. ..
- Bril V, Hirose T, Tomioka S, Buchanan R. Ranirestat for the management of diabetic sensorimotor polyneuropathy. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:1256-60 pubmed publisher..Treatment with ranirestat appears to have an effect on motor nerve function in mild to moderate DSP, but the results of this study failed to show a statistically significant difference in sensory nerve function relative to placebo. ..
- Berta W, Barnsley J, Bloom J, Cockerill R, Davis D, Jaakkimainen L, et al. Enhancing continuity of information: essential components of consultation reports. Can Fam Physician. 2009;55:624-5.e1-5 pubmed..We assembled these elements in a suggested format for a consultation report. The format can be easily modified by practitioners caring for patients with other chronic diseases. ..
- Seeman P, Guan H. Glutamate agonist LY404,039 for treating schizophrenia has affinity for the dopamine D2(High) receptor. Synapse. 2009;63:935-9 pubmed publisher..A possible clinical antipsychotic action of LY404,039 may depend on the combined stimulation of glutamate receptors and a partial dopamine agonist action that would interfere with neurotransmission at D2(High) receptors. ..
- Sawka A, Straus S, Gafni A, Meiyappan S, O Brien M, Brierley J, et al. A usability study of a computerized decision aid to help patients with, early stage papillary thyroid carcinoma in, decision-making on adjuvant radioactive iodine treatment. Patient Educ Couns. 2011;84:e24-7 pubmed publisher..In counseling patients about complex medical decisions, disclosure of uncertainty related to medical evidence may be acceptably conveyed using a DA. ..
- Danesh A, Cameron C, Le n A, Ran L, Xu L, Fang Y, et al. Early gene expression events in ferrets in response to SARS coronavirus infection versus direct interferon-alpha2b stimulation. Virology. 2011;409:102-12 pubmed publisher..These signatures can be useful markers to evaluate the status of IFN responses during a viral infection and specific features of different viruses...
- Nakajima T, Yasufuku K. How I do it--optimal methodology for multidirectional analysis of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration samples. J Thorac Oncol. 2011;6:203-6 pubmed publisher..EBUS-TBNA is an ideal approach that allows combined pathological and molecular analysis of metastatic lymph nodes. ..
- Kim S, Tannock I, Sridhar S, Seki J, Bordeleau L. Chemotherapy-induced infiltrative pneumonitis cases in breast cancer patients. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2012;18:311-5 pubmed publisher..We present five cases of chemotherapy-induced infiltrative pneumonitis in breast cancer patients involving docetaxel, paclitaxel, gemcitabine and cyclophosphamide. ..