Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on glycoproteins in London, Ontario, Canada
Locale: London, Ontario, Canada
- Timoshenko A, Chakraborty C, Wagner G, Lala P. COX-2-mediated stimulation of the lymphangiogenic factor VEGF-C in human breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2006;94:1154-63 pubmed..These results, for the first time, demonstrate a regulatory role of COX-2 in VEGF-C synthesis (and thereby lymphangiogenesis) in human breast cancer, which is mediated at least in part by EP1/EP4 receptors. ..
- Zaidi D, James K, Wagner G. Passive immunization of lactating mice with stanniocalcin-1 antiserum reduces mammary gland development, milk fat content, and postnatal pup growth. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006;291:E974-81 pubmed..Locomotor effects suggest that STC-1 also has a role in maternal behavior. ..
- Small T, Bolender Z, Bueno C, O Neil C, Nong Z, Rushlow W, et al. Wilms' tumor 1-associating protein regulates the proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells. Circ Res. 2006;99:1338-46 pubmed..These findings identify WTAP as a novel regulator of the cell cycle and cell survival and implicate a WTAP-WT1 axis as a novel pathway for controlling vascular SMC phenotype. ..
- Varghese R, Gagliardi A, Bialek P, Yee S, Wagner G, DiMattia G. Overexpression of human stanniocalcin affects growth and reproduction in transgenic mice. Endocrinology. 2002;143:868-76 pubmed..These studies provide the first evidence that STC is involved in growth and reproduction and reaffirm its role in mineral homeostasis. ..
- Stasko S, Wagner G. Possible roles for stanniocalcin during early skeletal patterning and joint formation in the mouse. J Endocrinol. 2001;171:237-48 pubmed..Moreover, as occurs during urogenital development, it appeared that STC is made in undifferentiated mesenchyme cells and sequestered by those destined to differentiate. ..
- Stasko S, Wagner G. Stanniocalcin gene expression during mouse urogenital development: a possible role in mesenchymal-epithelial signalling. Dev Dyn. 2001;220:49-59 pubmed..Collectively, the evidence suggests that in addition to its regulatory effects in adults, STC has novel and distinctive roles in the mesenchymal-epithelial interactions that are vital to normal organogenesis. ..
- Li Y, Luo L, Thomas D, Kang C. The HIV-1 Env protein signal sequence retards its cleavage and down-regulates the glycoprotein folding. Virology. 2000;272:417-28 pubmed..Our data also suggest a direct correlation between the rate of the signal sequence cleavage and protein folding. ..
- Inderdeo D, Edwards D, Han V, Khokha R. Temporal and spatial expression of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases during the natural ovulatory cycle of the mouse. Biol Reprod. 1996;55:498-508 pubmed..We propose that in the natural ovulatory process, TIMP-1 is probably a factor that regulates corpus luteum regression while TIMP-3 is important in maintaining the structural integrity of the corpus luteum. ..
- Johnston J, Ramos Valdes Y, Stanton L, Ladhani S, Beier F, DiMattia G. Human stanniocalcin-1 or -2 expressed in mice reduces bone size and severely inhibits cranial intramembranous bone growth. Transgenic Res. 2010;19:1017-39 pubmed publisher..Collectively these data support a direct regulatory role for STCs in osteoblasts and suggest that overexposure to these factors inhibits normal skeletal development without significant changes in patterning. ..
- Turner J, Xiang F, Feng Q, Wagner G. The renal stanniocalcin-1 gene is differentially regulated by hypertonicity and hypovolemia in the rat. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011;331:150-7 pubmed publisher..The findings are therefore indicative of cortical and medullary STC-1 having separate roles in the renal control of ECF balance...
- Moreau J, Iqbal W, Turner J, Wagner G, Ciriello J. Stanniocalcin-1 in the subfornical organ inhibits the dipsogenic response to angiotensin II. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012;303:R921-8 pubmed publisher..These findings also provide the first direct evidence of a physiological role for STC-1 in central regulation of body fluid homeostasis. ..
- Fazio E, DiMattia G, Chadi S, Kernohan K, Pin C. Stanniocalcin 2 alters PERK signalling and reduces cellular injury during cerulein induced pancreatitis in mice. BMC Cell Biol. 2011;12:17 pubmed publisher..This study links STC2 to the pathological activation of PERK in vivo, and suggests involvement of STC2 in responding to pancreatic acinar cell injury. ..
- Paciga M, James K, Gillespie J, Wagner G. Evidence for cross-talk between stanniocalcins. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005;83:953-6 pubmed..The findings therefore add credence to the possibility that there may be circumstances during which the 2 ligands functionally antagonize each other's actions. ..
- Ciriello J, Oiamo T, Moreau J, Turner J, Wagner G. Effects of the calcium-regulating glycoprotein hormone stanniocalcin-1 within the nucleus of the solitary tract on arterial pressure and the baroreceptor reflex. Neuroscience. 2012;207:88-102 pubmed publisher..Taken together these data suggest that endogenous STC-1 signaling in NTS is involved in regulating the excitability of neurons that normally function as components of the baroreceptor reflex controlling AP. ..
- Paciga M, DiMattia G, Wagner G. Regulation of luteal cell big stanniocalcin production and secretion. Endocrinology. 2004;145:4204-12 pubmed..These results therefore suggest that under certain physiological conditions, the corpus luteum could very well serve as a source of STC production. ..
- Nandan D, Cates G, Ball E, Sanwal B. Partial characterization of a collagen-binding, differentiation-related glycoprotein from skeletal myoblasts. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1990;278:291-6 pubmed..Although the function of gp46 is not yet known, the evidence suggests that it is developmentally regulated and is probably involved in the synthesis or assembly of collagen in the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Li C, Iosef C, Jia C, Han V, Li S. Dual functional roles for the X-linked lymphoproliferative syndrome gene product SAP/SH2D1A in signaling through the signaling lymphocyte activation molecule (SLAM) family of immune receptors. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:3852-9 pubmed..The physiological relevance of the dual functional role for SAP is underscored by the observation that disease-causing SAP mutants exhibited significantly reduced affinities to both FynT and SLAM. ..
- McCudden C, James K, Hasilo C, Wagner G. Characterization of mammalian stanniocalcin receptors. Mitochondrial targeting of ligand and receptor for regulation of cellular metabolism. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45249-58 pubmed..In functional studies, recombinant STC had concentration-dependent stimulatory effects on electron transfer by sub-mitochondrial particles. Collectively the evidence implies a role for STC in cell metabolism. ..
- McCudden C, Kogon M, DiMattia G, Wagner G. Novel expression of the stanniocalcin gene in fish. J Endocrinol. 2001;171:33-44 pubmed..This is the first evidence of STC gene expression in fish tissues other than the CS glands and suggests that, as in mammals, fish STC operates via both local and endocrine pathways. ..
- Wagner G, Guiraudon C, Milliken C, Copp D. Immunological and biological evidence for a stanniocalcin-like hormone in human kidney. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:1871-5 pubmed..Human kidney extracts containing the STC-immunoreactive proteins also had STC-related effects when injected into fishes. Collectively, the data suggest that STC may be more widespread among the vertebrates than is currently accepted. ..
- Clarke E, Nandan D, Brickenden A, Cates G, Ball E, Sanwal B. Glycoprotein glycans may not be necessary for the differentiation of skeletal myoblasts. Exp Cell Res. 1989;180:178-88 pubmed..These results suggest the high-mannose type of oligosaccharides may not be involved in myoblast differentiation. ..
- Huang L, Belousova T, Chen M, DiMattia G, Liu D, Sheikh Hamad D. Overexpression of stanniocalcin-1 inhibits reactive oxygen species and renal ischemia/reperfusion injury in mice. Kidney Int. 2012;82:867-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, STC1 may be a therapeutic target for ischemia/reperfusion kidney injury. ..
- Li C, Iosef C, Jia C, Gkourasas T, Han V, Shun Cheng Li S. Disease-causing SAP mutants are defective in ligand binding and protein folding. Biochemistry. 2003;42:14885-92 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that defects in ligand binding, receptor signaling, and protein folding collectively contribute to the loss of function for disease-causing SAP mutants. ..
- Gagliardi A, Kuo E, Raulic S, Wagner G, DiMattia G. Human stanniocalcin-2 exhibits potent growth-suppressive properties in transgenic mice independently of growth hormone and IGFs. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005;288:E92-105 pubmed
- McCudden C, Tam W, Wagner G. Ovarian stanniocalcin in trout is differentially glycosylated and preferentially expressed in early stage oocytes. Biol Reprod. 2001;65:763-70 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first characterization of STC gene expression, cDNA, and protein distribution in the piscine ovary and the first evidence for any difference between alternative sources of the hormone in any species...
- Stasko S, DiMattia G, Wagner G. Dynamic changes in stanniocalcin gene expression in the mouse uterus during early implantation. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2001;174:145-9 pubmed..STC is only the fourth gene identified as being expressed mesometrially in the uterus following implantation. ..
- Penuela S, Bhalla R, Gong X, Cowan K, Celetti S, Cowan B, et al. Pannexin 1 and pannexin 3 are glycoproteins that exhibit many distinct characteristics from the connexin family of gap junction proteins. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3772-83 pubmed..Collectively, these studies show that Panx1 and Panx3 have many characteristics that are distinct from Cx43 and that these proteins probably play an important biological role as single membrane channels. ..
- Connor A, Waterhouse P, Khokha R, Denhardt D. Characterization of a mouse mitogen-regulated protein/proliferin gene and its promoter: a member of the growth hormone/prolactin gene superfamily. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1989;1009:75-82 pubmed..Intracellular mrp/plf mRNA levels were increased by 17 beta-estradiol and reduced by dexamethasone. ..