Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna damage in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Topic: dna damage
- Guidos C, Williams C, Grandal I, Knowles G, Huang M, Danska J. V(D)J recombination activates a p53-dependent DNA damage checkpoint in scid lymphocyte precursors. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2038-54 pubmed..These results demonstrate that a p53-mediated DNA damage checkpoint contributes to the immune deficiency characteristic of the scid mutation and limits the oncogenic potential of DSBs generated during V(D)J recombination. ..
- Preston T, Henderson J, McCallum G, Wells P. Base excision repair of reactive oxygen species-initiated 7,8-dihydro-8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine inhibits the cytotoxicity of platinum anticancer drugs. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009;8:2015-26 pubmed publisher..The greater antitumor efficacy of oxaliplatin seems unrelated to oxidative DNA damage, suggesting a novel strategy for improving the therapeutic index in cancer therapy. ..
- Sugamori K, Brenneman D, Sanchez O, Doll M, Hein D, Pierce W, et al. Reduced 4-aminobiphenyl-induced liver tumorigenicity but not DNA damage in arylamine N-acetyltransferase null mice. Cancer Lett. 2012;318:206-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that female sex and NAT deficiency reduce risk for ABP-induced liver tumors, but by mechanisms unrelated to differences in DNA-damaging events. ..
- Wang A, Agrawal A. DNA repair pathway choice is influenced by the health of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2012;192:361-70 pubmed publisher..Finally, we observe that the effect of larval diet on adult repair increases as flies age, indicating that developmental differences early in life can have long-lasting consequences. ..
- Nakada S, Chen G, Gingras A, Durocher D. PP4 is a gamma H2AX phosphatase required for recovery from the DNA damage checkpoint. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:1019-26 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that PP4 is an evolutionarily conserved gammaH2AX phosphatase. ..
- Costantini D, Chan C, Cai Z, Vallis K, Reilly R. (111)In-labeled trastuzumab (Herceptin) modified with nuclear localization sequences (NLS): an Auger electron-emitting radiotherapeutic agent for HER2/neu-amplified breast cancer. J Nucl Med. 2007;48:1357-68 pubmed
- Tkach J, Yimit A, Lee A, Riffle M, Costanzo M, Jaschob D, et al. Dissecting DNA damage response pathways by analysing protein localization and abundance changes during DNA replication stress. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:966-76 pubmed publisher..This method identifies response pathways that were not detected in genetic and protein interaction screens, and can be readily applied to any form of chemical or genetic stress to reveal cellular response pathways. ..
- Shapiro A, Miller Pinsler L, Wells P. Breast cancer 1 (BRCA1)-deficient embryos develop normally but are more susceptible to ethanol-initiated DNA damage and embryopathies. Redox Biol. 2016;7:30-38 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that even modest BRCA1 deficiencies render the embryo more susceptible to drug-enhanced ROS formation, and corroborate a role for DNA oxidation in the mechanism of EtOH teratogenesis. ..
- Khan M, Van Dyk J, Yeung I, Hill R. Partial volume rat lung irradiation; assessment of early DNA damage in different lung regions and effect of radical scavengers. Radiother Oncol. 2003;66:95-102 pubmed
- Kowalska E, Narod S, Huzarski T, Zajaczek S, Huzarska J, Gorski B, et al. Increased rates of chromosome breakage in BRCA1 carriers are normalized by oral selenium supplementation. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:1302-6 pubmed..40 versus 0.39). Oral selenium is a good candidate for chemoprevention in women who carry a mutation in the BRCA1 gene. ..
- Milyavsky M, Gan O, Trottier M, Komosa M, Tabach O, Notta F, et al. A distinctive DNA damage response in human hematopoietic stem cells reveals an apoptosis-independent role for p53 in self-renewal. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;7:186-97 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal distinct physiological roles of p53 that together ensure optimal HSC function: apoptosis regulation and prevention of gammaH2AX foci accumulation upon HSC self-renewal. ..
- Chang Q, Chandrashekhar M, Ketela T, Fedyshyn Y, Moffat J, Hedley D. Cytokinetic effects of Wee1 disruption in pancreatic cancer. Cell Cycle. 2016;15:593-604 pubmed publisher..These findings support G2 exit as the more significant effect of Wee1 inhibition in pancreatic cancers. ..
- Davidson M, Katou Y, Keszthelyi A, Sing T, Xia T, Ou J, et al. Endogenous DNA replication stress results in expansion of dNTP pools and a mutator phenotype. EMBO J. 2012;31:895-907 pubmed publisher..Together, our data point to a vicious circle in which mutations in gatekeeper genes give rise to genomic instability during S phase, inducing expansion of the dNTP pool, which in turn results in high levels of spontaneous mutagenesis. ..
- Da Sylva T, Gordon C, Wu G. A genetic approach to quantifying human in vivo mutation frequency uncovers transcription level effects. Mutat Res. 2009;670:68-73 pubmed publisher..Our genomic based methods also revealed a role for transcription levels in somatic mutation generation and/or accumulation. ..
- Wilhelm M, Rufini A, Wetzel M, Tsuchihara K, Inoue S, Tomasini R, et al. Isoform-specific p73 knockout mice reveal a novel role for delta Np73 in the DNA damage response pathway. Genes Dev. 2010;24:549-60 pubmed publisher..This novel finding may explain why human tumors with high levels of DeltaNp73 expression show enhanced resistance to chemotherapy. ..
- Wong V, Morrison A, Tabori U, Hawkins C. Telomerase inhibition as a novel therapy for pediatric ependymoma. Brain Pathol. 2010;20:780-6 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that telomerase inhibition may be an effective adjuvant therapy in pediatric ependymoma, potentially inducing tumor growth arrest in the short term, independent of telomere shortening...
- Wells P, McCallum G, Lam K, Henderson J, Ondovcik S. Oxidative DNA damage and repair in teratogenesis and neurodevelopmental deficits. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2010;90:103-9 pubmed publisher..Protection may be variably dependent upon such factors as the nature of the teratogen and its concentration within the embryo, the stage of development, the species, strain, gender, target tissue and cell type, among other factors. ..
- Fasih A, Fonge H, Cai Z, Leyton J, Tikhomirov I, Done S, et al. ¹¹¹In-Bn-DTPA-nimotuzumab with/without modification with nuclear translocation sequence (NLS) peptides: an Auger electron-emitting radioimmunotherapeutic agent for EGFR-positive and trastuzumab (Herceptin)-resistant breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;135:189-200 pubmed publisher
- Lee J, Abrahamson J, Kandel R, Donehower L, Bernstein A. Susceptibility to radiation-carcinogenesis and accumulation of chromosomal breakage in p53 deficient mice. Oncogene. 1994;9:3731-6 pubmed..Taken together, these observations suggest that p53 acts to suppress tumour formation in vivo by preventing the accumulation of cells that have sustained radiation-induced DNA damage. ..
- Fradet Turcotte A, Canny M, Escribano Diaz C, Orthwein A, Leung C, Huang H, et al. 53BP1 is a reader of the DNA-damage-induced H2A Lys 15 ubiquitin mark. Nature. 2013;499:50-4 pubmed publisher..53BP1 is therefore a bivalent histone modification reader that recognizes a histone 'code' produced by DSB signalling. ..
- Leyton J, Hu M, Gao C, Turner P, Dick J, Minden M, et al. Auger electron radioimmunotherapeutic agent specific for the CD123+/CD131- phenotype of the leukemia stem cell population. J Nucl Med. 2011;52:1465-73 pubmed publisher..111)In-NLS-7G3 is a promising novel Auger electron-emitting radioimmunotherapeutic agent for AML aimed at the leukemia stem cell population. Micro-SPECT/CT was useful for visualizing the engraftment of leukemia in NOD/SCID mice. ..
- Davidson M, Brown G. The N- and C-termini of Elg1 contribute to the maintenance of genome stability. DNA Repair (Amst). 2008;7:1221-32 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies delineate the regions of Elg1 important for its function in damage resistance and in the suppression of spontaneous DNA damage. ..
- Vaziri H, West M, Allsopp R, Davison T, Wu Y, Arrowsmith C, et al. ATM-dependent telomere loss in aging human diploid fibroblasts and DNA damage lead to the post-translational activation of p53 protein involving poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase. EMBO J. 1997;16:6018-33 pubmed..We propose that p53 is post-translationally activated not only in response to DNA damage but also in response to the critical shortening of telomeres that occurs during cellular aging. ..
- Gordon S, Alon N, Buchwald M. FANCC, FANCE, and FANCD2 form a ternary complex essential to the integrity of the Fanconi anemia DNA damage response pathway. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:36118-25 pubmed..Thus, FANCE is shown to be a key mediator of protein interactions both in the architecture of the FA protein complex and in the connection of complex components to the putative downstream targets of complex activity. ..
- Suter B, Graham C, Stagljar I. Exploring protein phosphorylation in response to DNA damage using differentially tagged yeast arrays. Biotechniques. 2008;45:581-4 pubmed publisher..Hence, we demonstrated that the Cross-and-Capture system could be efficiently used to detect posttranslational modifications that modulate and control protein function in eukaryotic cells. ..
- Lant B, Derry W. Methods for detection and analysis of apoptosis signaling in the C. elegans germline. Methods. 2013;61:174-82 pubmed publisher..We also present the limitations of these methods, and suggest complimentary techniques in order that researchers new to the field can comprehensively assess apoptosis phenotypes in the C. elegans germline. ..
- Yeung M, Durocher D. Srs2 enables checkpoint recovery by promoting disassembly of DNA damage foci from chromatin. DNA Repair (Amst). 2011;10:1213-22 pubmed publisher..A failure to remove Rad51 causes persistence of ssDNA and the checkpoint signal. Therefore, we conclude that cells initiate recovery when the DNA structures that elicit the checkpoint are eliminated. ..
- Perrin A, Gunda M, Yu B, Yen K, Ito S, Forster S, et al. Noncanonical control of C. elegans germline apoptosis by the insulin/IGF-1 and Ras/MAPK signaling pathways. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:97-107 pubmed publisher..Thus, insulin/IGF-1 signaling selectively engages AKT-2/DAF-16 to promote DNA damage-induced germ cell apoptosis downstream of CEP-1 through the Ras pathway. ..
- Miller L, Shapiro A, Cheng J, Wells P. The free radical spin trapping agent phenylbutylnitrone reduces fetal brain DNA oxidation and postnatal cognitive deficits caused by in utero exposure to a non-structurally teratogenic dose of ethanol: a role for oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med. 2013;60:223-32 pubmed publisher..05) and postnatal learning deficits (p<0.01), providing the first direct evidence for ROS in the mechanism of EtOH-initiated neurodevelopmental deficits. ..
- Mistry H, Gibson L, Yun J, Sarras H, Tamblyn L, McPherson J. Interplay between Np95 and Eme1 in the DNA damage response. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;375:321-5 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings link Mus81-Eme1 with the replication-associated chromatin modifier functions of Np95 in the cellular response to DNA damage. ..
- Wells T, Zhang G, Harley Z, Vaziri H. Genetic hypervariability in two distinct deuterostome telomerase reverse transcriptase genes and their early embryonic functions. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:464-80 pubmed publisher..Identification of these unique hypervariable telomerases also suggests presence of a diversity generation mechanism that inculcates hypervariable telomerases and telomere lengths in germline. ..
- Alam S, Yadav V, Bajaj S, Datta A, Dutta S, Bhattacharyya M, et al. DNA damage-induced ephrin-B2 reverse signaling promotes chemoresistance and drives EMT in colorectal carcinoma harboring mutant p53. Cell Death Differ. 2016;23:707-22 pubmed publisher..We thus conclude that targeting ephrin-B2 might enhance the therapeutic potential of DNA-damaging chemotherapeutic agents in mutant p53-bearing human tumors. ..
- You H, Jang Y, You Ten A, Okada H, Liepa J, Wakeham A, et al. p53-dependent inhibition of FKHRL1 in response to DNA damage through protein kinase SGK1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14057-62 pubmed..Moreover, our findings suggest a new pathway for understanding aging and the age dependency of human diseases governed by these two transcription factors. ..
- Matei I, Guidos C, Danska J. ATM-dependent DNA damage surveillance in T-cell development and leukemogenesis: the DSB connection. Immunol Rev. 2006;209:142-58 pubmed..Here, we review recent evidence providing insight into the mechanisms by which ATM promotes normal lymphocyte development and protects from neoplastic transformation. ..
- Fine J, Chen P, Mesci A, Allan D, Gasser S, Raulet D, et al. Chemotherapy-induced genotoxic stress promotes sensitivity to natural killer cell cytotoxicity by enabling missing-self recognition. Cancer Res. 2010;70:7102-13 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight a unique role for the MHC-independent NKR-P1B:Clr-b missing-self axis in recognition of stressed cells, and provide evidence of two independent levels of Clr-b regulation in stressed cells. ..
- Abraham J, Lemmers B, Hande M, Moynahan M, Chahwan C, Ciccia A, et al. Eme1 is involved in DNA damage processing and maintenance of genomic stability in mammalian cells. EMBO J. 2003;22:6137-47 pubmed..Most importantly, Eme1 deficiency led to spontaneous genomic instability. These results reveal that mammalian Eme1 plays a key role in DNA repair and the maintenance of genome integrity. ..
- Pamidi A, Cardoso R, Hakem A, Matysiak Zablocki E, Poonepalli A, Tamblyn L, et al. Functional interplay of p53 and Mus81 in DNA damage responses and cancer. Cancer Res. 2007;67:8527-35 pubmed..Furthermore, our data show that loss of Mus81, in addition to p53, is a key step in sarcoma development. ..
- Harding S, Bristow R. Discordance between phosphorylation and recruitment of 53BP1 in response to DNA double-strand breaks. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:1432-44 pubmed publisher..As relative 53BP1 expression may be a biomarker of DNA repair capacity in solid tumors, the tracking of 53BP1 phosphoforms in situ may give unique information regarding different cancer phenotypes or response to cancer treatment. ..
- Sasaki T, Gan E, Wakeham A, Kornbluth S, Mak T, Okada H. HLA-B-associated transcript 3 (Bat3)/Scythe is essential for p300-mediated acetylation of p53. Genes Dev. 2007;21:848-61 pubmed..Our data indicate that Bat3 is a novel and essential regulator of p53-mediated responses to genotoxic stress, and that Bat3 controls DNA damage-induced acetylation of p53. ..
- Vlad R, Kolios M, Czarnota G. Ultrasound imaging of apoptosis: spectroscopic detection of DNA-damage effects at high and low frequencies. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;682:165-87 pubmed publisher..These results provide a foundation for future investigations regarding the use of ultrasound in preclinical and clinical settings to noninvasively monitor tumor responses to specific interventions that induce cell death. ..
- Ondovcik S, Tamblyn L, McPherson J, Wells P. Oxoguanine glycosylase 1 (OGG1) protects cells from DNA double-strand break damage following methylmercury (MeHg) exposure. Toxicol Sci. 2012;128:272-83 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, the genotoxic properties of MeHg may contribute to its neurotoxic and teratogenic effects, and an individual's response to oxidative stress and DNA damage may constitute an important determinant of risk. ..
- Nishina H, Vaz C, Billia P, Nghiem M, Sasaki T, de la Pompa J, et al. Defective liver formation and liver cell apoptosis in mice lacking the stress signaling kinase SEK1/MKK4. Development. 1999;126:505-16 pubmed..These results provide the first genetic link between stress-responsive kinases and organogenesis in mammals and indicate that SEK1 provides a crucial and specific survival signal for hepatocytes. ..
- Inoue S, Tomasini R, Rufini A, Elia A, Agostini M, Amelio I, et al. TAp73 is required for spermatogenesis and the maintenance of male fertility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1843-8 pubmed publisher..These results may have implications for the diagnosis and management of human male infertility. ..
- Roberts T, Kobor M, Bastin Shanower S, Ii M, Horte S, Gin J, et al. Slx4 regulates DNA damage checkpoint-dependent phosphorylation of the BRCT domain protein Rtt107/Esc4. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:539-48 pubmed
- Joshua A, Vukovic B, Braude I, Hussein S, Zielenska M, Srigley J, et al. Telomere attrition in isolated high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and surrounding stroma is predictive of prostate cancer. Neoplasia. 2007;9:81-9 pubmed
- Kanellis P, Gagliardi M, Banath J, Szilard R, Nakada S, Galicia S, et al. A screen for suppressors of gross chromosomal rearrangements identifies a conserved role for PLP in preventing DNA lesions. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e134 pubmed
- Ghavidel A, Kislinger T, Pogoutse O, Sopko R, Jurisica I, Emili A. Impaired tRNA nuclear export links DNA damage and cell-cycle checkpoint. Cell. 2007;131:915-26 pubmed
- Hao Z, Duncan G, Su Y, Li W, Silvester J, Hong C, et al. The E3 ubiquitin ligase Mule acts through the ATM-p53 axis to maintain B lymphocyte homeostasis. J Exp Med. 2012;209:173-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, Mule regulates the ATM-p53 axis to maintain B cell homeostasis under both steady-state and stress conditions. ..
- Zaheen A, Boulianne B, Parsa J, Ramachandran S, Gommerman J, Martin A. AID constrains germinal center size by rendering B cells susceptible to apoptosis. Blood. 2009;114:547-54 pubmed publisher..We report a link between AID-induced DNA damage and B-cell apoptosis that has implications for the development of B-cell disorders. ..
- Scarbrough P, Weber R, Iversen E, Brhane Y, Amos C, Kraft P, et al. A Cross-Cancer Genetic Association Analysis of the DNA Repair and DNA Damage Signaling Pathways for Lung, Ovary, Prostate, Breast, and Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016;25:193-200 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that many common variants in DNA repair genes are likely associated with cancer susceptibility through small effect sizes that do not meet stringent significance testing criteria. ..
- Bassi C, Ho J, Srikumar T, Dowling R, Gorrini C, Miller S, et al. Nuclear PTEN controls DNA repair and sensitivity to genotoxic stress. Science. 2013;341:395-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings may have implications for individualized therapy for patients with PTEN-deficient tumors. ..
- Halaby M, Hakem A, Li L, El Ghamrasni S, Venkatesan S, Hande P, et al. Synergistic interaction of Rnf8 and p53 in the protection against genomic instability and tumorigenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003259 pubmed publisher..Altogether, the data in this study highlight the importance of p53-pathway activation upon loss of Rnf8, suggesting that Rnf8 and p53 functionally interact to protect against genomic instability and tumorigenesis...
- Gao M, Liao E, Yu B, Wang Y, Zhen M, Derry W. The SCF FSN-1 ubiquitin ligase controls germline apoptosis through CEP-1/p53 in C. elegans. Cell Death Differ. 2008;15:1054-62 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a novel role for the SCF(FSN-1) E3 ubiquitin ligase in the regulation of cep-1-dependent germ cell apoptosis. ..
- McPherson J, Lemmers B, Chahwan R, Pamidi A, Migon E, Matysiak Zablocki E, et al. Involvement of mammalian Mus81 in genome integrity and tumor suppression. Science. 2004;304:1822-6 pubmed..These studies demonstrate a critical role for the proper biallelic expression of the mammalian Mus81 in the maintenance of genomic integrity and tumor suppression. ..
- Lee C, Goncalves L, Wells P. Resistance of CD-1 and ogg1 DNA repair-deficient mice to thalidomide and hydrolysis product embryopathies in embryo culture. Toxicol Sci. 2011;122:146-56 pubmed publisher..However, DNA repair-deficient ogg1 knockout mice proved resistant to TD-initiated embryopathies in culture and teratogenesis in vivo, indicating that the resistance of mice is not due to a higher level of DNA repair. ..
- Moskovtsev S, Mullen J, Lecker I, Jarvi K, White J, Roberts M, et al. Frequency and severity of sperm DNA damage in patients with confirmed cases of male infertility of different aetiologies. Reprod Biomed Online. 2010;20:759-63 pubmed publisher..The data support the importance of proper physical and laboratory investigations of the fertility status in men to correctly diagnose and treat male infertility...
- Kanellis P, Agyei R, Durocher D. Elg1 forms an alternative PCNA-interacting RFC complex required to maintain genome stability. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1583-95 pubmed..Collectively, these results reveal that Elg1 forms a novel and conserved alternative RFC complex. Furthermore, we propose that genome instability arises at high frequency in elg1 mutants due to a defect in Okazaki fragment maturation. ..
- Wieler S, Gagné J, Vaziri H, Poirier G, Benchimol S. Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 is a positive regulator of the p53-mediated G1 arrest response following ionizing radiation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:18914-21 pubmed..Hence, inhibition of endogenous PARP-1 function suppresses the transactivation function of p53 in response to ionizing radiation. This study establishes PARP-1 as a critical regulator of the p53 response to DNA damage. ..
- Chang M, Bellaoui M, Boone C, Brown G. A genome-wide screen for methyl methanesulfonate-sensitive mutants reveals genes required for S phase progression in the presence of DNA damage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:16934-9 pubmed..These genes may promote replication fork stability or processivity during encounters between replication forks and DNA damage. ..
- Calveley V, Khan M, Yeung I, Vandyk J, Hill R. Partial volume rat lung irradiation: temporal fluctuations of in-field and out-of-field DNA damage and inflammatory cytokines following irradiation. Int J Radiat Biol. 2005;81:887-99 pubmed..We hypothesize that Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) induced by this response play an important role in the induction of both in-field and out-of-field DNA damage. ..
- Dellaire G, Ching R, Ahmed K, Jalali F, Tse K, Bristow R, et al. Promyelocytic leukemia nuclear bodies behave as DNA damage sensors whose response to DNA double-strand breaks is regulated by NBS1 and the kinases ATM, Chk2, and ATR. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:55-66 pubmed..Therefore, an increase in PML NB number is an intrinsic element of the cellular response to DNA damage...
- Quevedo C, Kaplan D, Derry W. AKT-1 regulates DNA-damage-induced germline apoptosis in C. elegans. Curr Biol. 2007;17:286-92 pubmed..Finally, we show that AKT-1 regulates apoptosis but not cell-cycle progression downstream of the HUS-1/MRT-2 branch of the DNA damage checkpoint. ..
- Hirao A, Kong Y, Matsuoka S, Wakeham A, Ruland J, Yoshida H, et al. DNA damage-induced activation of p53 by the checkpoint kinase Chk2. Science. 2000;287:1824-7 pubmed..Chk2 directly phosphorylated p53 on serine 20, which is known to interfere with Mdm2 binding. This provides a mechanism for increased stability of p53 by prevention of ubiquitination in response to DNA damage. ..
- Dellaire G, Bazett Jones D. PML nuclear bodies: dynamic sensors of DNA damage and cellular stress. Bioessays. 2004;26:963-77 pubmed..The dramatically increased total surface area available would enhance interactions between PML-associated factors regulating DNA repair and apoptosis...
- Zhang C, Roberts T, Yang J, Desai R, Brown G. Suppression of genomic instability by SLX5 and SLX8 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. DNA Repair (Amst). 2006;5:336-46 pubmed..This suggested that Slx8 and Slx8 played limited roles in stabilizing, restarting, or resolving transiently stalled replication forks, but were critical for preventing the accumulation of DNA damage during normal cell cycle progression. ..
- Ross A, Li M, Yu B, Gao M, Derry W. The EEL-1 ubiquitin ligase promotes DNA damage-induced germ cell apoptosis in C. elegans. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:1140-9 pubmed publisher..Although ee1-1 mutants exhibit hypersensitivity to genotoxic stress they do not appear to be defective in DNA repair, suggesting a distinct role for EEL-1 in promoting damage-induced apoptosis in the germline. ..
- Ramaekers C, Wouters B. Regulatory functions of ubiquitin in diverse DNA damage responses. Curr Mol Med. 2011;11:152-69 pubmed
- Li P, Wong J, Ayed A, Ngo D, Brade A, Arrowsmith C, et al. Placental transforming growth factor-beta is a downstream mediator of the growth arrest and apoptotic response of tumor cells to DNA damage and p53 overexpression. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:20127-35 pubmed
- Ito S, Greiss S, Gartner A, Derry W. Cell-nonautonomous regulation of C. elegans germ cell death by kri-1. Curr Biol. 2010;20:333-8 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, we find that kri-1 regulates cell death in a cell-nonautonomous manner, revealing a novel regulatory role for nondying cells in eliciting cell death in response to DNA damage. ..
- Al Rashid S, Dellaire G, Cuddihy A, Jalali F, Vaid M, Coackley C, et al. Evidence for the direct binding of phosphorylated p53 to sites of DNA breaks in vivo. Cancer Res. 2005;65:10810-21 pubmed
- Bradshaw P, Stavropoulos D, Meyn M. Human telomeric protein TRF2 associates with genomic double-strand breaks as an early response to DNA damage. Nat Genet. 2005;37:193-7 pubmed..Our results implicate TRF2 in an initial stage of DSB recognition and processing that occurs before association of ATM with DSBs and activation of the ATM-dependent DSB response network. ..
- Iampietro C, Bergalet J, Wang X, Cody N, Chin A, Lefebvre F, et al. Developmentally regulated elimination of damaged nuclei involves a Chk2-dependent mechanism of mRNA nuclear retention. Dev Cell. 2014;29:468-81 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a layer of regulation within the DNA damage surveillance systems that safeguard genome integrity in eukaryotes. ..
- Reynolds J, Bicknell L, Carroll P, Higgs M, Shaheen R, Murray J, et al. Mutations in DONSON disrupt replication fork stability and cause microcephalic dwarfism. Nat Genet. 2017;49:537-549 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have identified mutations in DONSON as a common cause of microcephalic dwarfism and established DONSON as a critical replication fork protein required for mammalian DNA replication and genome stability. ..
- Yuk J, Simpson M, Simpson A. Coelomic fluid: a complimentary biological medium to assess sub-lethal endosulfan exposure using ¹H NMR-based earthworm metabolomics. Ecotoxicology. 2012;21:1301-13 pubmed publisher..This study highlights that earthworm CF is a complementary biological medium to tissue extracts and can be helpful to better understand the toxic mode of action of contaminants at sub-lethal levels in the environment. ..
- Williams C, Grandal I, Vesprini D, Wojtyra U, Danska J, Guidos C. Irradiation promotes V(D)J joining and RAG-dependent neoplastic transformation in SCID T-cell precursors. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:400-13 pubmed..Collectively, these data suggest that irradiation induces a DNA-PK-independent NHEJ pathway that facilitates V(D)J joining, but also promotes oncogenic misjoining of RAG-1/2-induced breaks in SCID T-cell precursors. ..
- Heddle J, Fenech M, Hayashi M, Macgregor J. Reflections on the development of micronucleus assays. Mutagenesis. 2011;26:3-10 pubmed publisher..Although this is by no means a complete history, those working in the field may be interested in some of the personal events that lie behind the development and acceptance of methods that are now standard. ..
- Li L, Halaby M, Hakem A, Cardoso R, El Ghamrasni S, Harding S, et al. Rnf8 deficiency impairs class switch recombination, spermatogenesis, and genomic integrity and predisposes for cancer. J Exp Med. 2010;207:983-97 pubmed publisher..In addition, Rnf8(-/-) mice exhibit increased genomic instability and elevated risks for tumorigenesis indicating that Rnf8 is a novel tumor suppressor. These data unravel the in vivo pleiotropic effects of Rnf8...
- Laposa R, Henderson J, Xu E, Wells P. Atm-null mice exhibit enhanced radiation-induced birth defects and a hybrid form of embryonic programmed cell death indicating a teratological suppressor function for ATM. FASEB J. 2004;18:896-8 pubmed..These results show that Atm is a novel teratologic suppressor gene protecting embryos from pathological cell death and teratogenesis initiated by even mild DNA damage. ..
- Chang M, Bellaoui M, Zhang C, Desai R, Morozov P, Delgado Cruzata L, et al. RMI1/NCE4, a suppressor of genome instability, encodes a member of the RecQ helicase/Topo III complex. EMBO J. 2005;24:2024-33 pubmed..In addition, rmi1Delta strains fail to fully activate Rad53 upon exposure to DNA-damaging agents, suggesting that Rmi1 is also an important part of the Rad53-dependent DNA damage response. ..