Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans
- Boulianne G. Neuronal regulation of lifespan: clues from flies and worms. Mech Ageing Dev. 2001;122:883-94 pubmed
- Meng J, Ma X, Tao H, Jin X, Witvliet D, Mitchell J, et al. Myrf ER-Bound Transcription Factors Drive C.Â elegans Synaptic Plasticity via Cleavage-Dependent Nuclear Translocation. Dev Cell. 2017;41:180-194.e7 pubmed publisher..MYRF-1 and MYRF-2 are the first genes identified to be indispensable for promoting synaptic rewiring in C.Â elegans. These findings reveal a molecular mechanism underlying synaptic rewiring and developmental circuit plasticity. ..
- Colavita A, Culotti J. Suppressors of ectopic UNC-5 growth cone steering identify eight genes involved in axon guidance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Biol. 1998;194:72-85 pubmed..Several of these mutations cause axon guidance defects similar to those found in unc-5 mutants. We propose that some or all of these genes may function in a developmentally important unc-5 signaling pathway. ..
- Wong S, Kotera I, Mills E, Suzuki H, Truong K. Split-intein mediated re-assembly of genetically encoded Ca(2+) indicators. Cell Calcium. 2012;51:57-64 pubmed publisher..elegans, were imaged. Thus, we envision that increased cell-type targetability of GECIs is feasible with two, complementary promoters. ..
- Luciani G, Magomedova L, Puckrin R, Urbanus M, Wallace I, Giaever G, et al. Dafadine inhibits DAF-9 to promote dauer formation and longevity of Caenorhabditis elegans. Nat Chem Biol. 2011;7:891-3 pubmed publisher..This molecule (called dafadine) also inhibits the mammalian ortholog of DAF-9(CYP27A1), suggesting that dafadine can be used to interrogate developmental control and longevity in other animals. ..
- Bouhours M, Po M, Gao S, Hung W, Li H, Georgiou J, et al. A co-operative regulation of neuronal excitability by UNC-7 innexin and NCA/NALCN leak channel. Mol Brain. 2011;4:16 pubmed publisher..We propose that, in addition to gap junction-mediated functions, UNC-7 innexin may also form hemichannels to regulate C. elegans' neuronal activity cooperatively with the NCA family leak channels...
- Zheng H, Coudiere L, Camia C, Colavita A, Culotti J, Merz D. C. elegans seu-1 encodes novel nuclear proteins that regulate responses to UNC-6/netrin guidance cues. Dev Biol. 2007;310:44-53 pubmed..These results implicate nuclear SEU-1 in the interpretation of UNC-6/netrin directional information by migrating growth cones and cells. ..
- Fujisawa K, Wrana J, Culotti J. The slit receptor EVA-1 coactivates a SAX-3/Robo mediated guidance signal in C. elegans. Science. 2007;317:1934-8 pubmed..Double mutants of eva-1 or slt-1 with sax-3 mutations suggest that SAX-3 can (when slt-1 or eva-1 function is reduced) inhibit a parallel-acting guidance mechanism, which involves UNC-40/deleted in colorectal cancer. ..
- Colwill K, Pawson T, Andrews B, Prasad J, Manley J, Bell J, et al. The Clk/Sty protein kinase phosphorylates SR splicing factors and regulates their intranuclear distribution. EMBO J. 1996;15:265-75 pubmed..Overexpression of the active Clk/Sty kinase caused a redistribution of SR proteins within the nucleus. These results suggest that Clk/Sty kinase directly regulates the activity and compartmentalization of SR splicing factors. ..
- Hung W, Wang Y, Chitturi J, Zhen M. A Caenorhabditis elegans developmental decision requires insulin signaling-mediated neuron-intestine communication. Development. 2014;141:1767-79 pubmed publisher..Under adverse conditions, a switch in the agonistic-antagonistic ILP balance activates intestinal DAF-16, which commits animals to diapause. ..
- Tsui D, van der Kooy D. Serotonin mediates a learned increase in attraction to high concentrations of benzaldehyde in aged C. elegans. Learn Mem. 2008;15:844-55 pubmed publisher..We propose that associative learning may selectively modify pathways at or downstream from a low-affinity olfactory receptor. ..
- Zhu S, Hanneman A, Reinhold V, Spence A, Schachter H. Caenorhabditis elegans triple null mutant lacking UDP-N-acetyl-D-glucosamine:alpha-3-D-mannoside beta1,2-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase I. Biochem J. 2004;382:995-1001 pubmed..The TKO worm may be more susceptible to mutations in other genes, thereby providing an approach for the identification of genes that interact with GnT I. ..
- Bohdanowicz M, Grinstein S. Vesicular traffic: a Rab SANDwich. Curr Biol. 2010;20:R311-4 pubmed publisher..Recent studies in Caenorhabditis elegans have now uncovered a new protein complex that connects Rab5 to Rab7. ..
- Tepass U. Genetic analysis of cadherin function in animal morphogenesis. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1999;11:540-8 pubmed..Fat-like cadherins are required for epithelial morphogenesis, proliferation control, and epithelial planar polarization. ..
- Dalpé G, Tarsitano M, Persico M, Zheng H, Culotti J. C. elegans PVF-1 inhibits permissive UNC-40 signalling through CED-10 GTPase to position the male ray 1 sensillum. Development. 2013;140:4020-30 pubmed publisher..These data report the first case of VEGF-induced inhibition of the netrin signalling and a molecular conservation of VEGF function from worms to humans. ..
- Cutter A, Dey A, Murray R. Evolution of the Caenorhabditis elegans genome. Mol Biol Evol. 2009;26:1199-234 pubmed publisher..We also emphasize the potential importance of evolution in the gonochoristic (female and male) ancestors of the androdioecious (hermaphrodite and male) C. elegans as the source for many of its genomic and developmental patterns. ..
- Perrin A, Gunda M, Yu B, Yen K, Ito S, Forster S, et al. Noncanonical control of C. elegans germline apoptosis by the insulin/IGF-1 and Ras/MAPK signaling pathways. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:97-107 pubmed publisher..Thus, insulin/IGF-1 signaling selectively engages AKT-2/DAF-16 to promote DNA damage-induced germ cell apoptosis downstream of CEP-1 through the Ras pathway. ..
- Kim J, Hung W, Narbonne P, Roy R, Zhen M. C. elegans STRADalpha and SAD cooperatively regulate neuronal polarity and synaptic organization. Development. 2010;137:93-102 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that instead of a single, linear genetic pathway, STRADalpha and LKB1 regulate neuronal development through multiple effectors that are shared in some cellular contexts but distinct in others. ..
- Marengere L, Songyang Z, Gish G, Schaller M, Parsons J, Stern M, et al. SH2 domain specificity and activity modified by a single residue. Nature. 1994;369:502-5 pubmed..These results identify a residue that can modify SH2 selectivity, and indicate that the biological activity of an SH2 domain correlates with its binding specificity. ..
- Seetharaman A, Selman G, Puckrin R, Barbier L, Wong E, D Souza S, et al. MADD-4 is a secreted cue required for midline-oriented guidance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Cell. 2011;21:669-80 pubmed publisher..The biological role of MADD-4 orthologs, including ADAMTSL1 and 3 in mammals, is unknown. MADD-4 may therefore represent the founding member of a family of guidance proteins. ..
- Wang X, Roy P, Holland S, Zhang L, Culotti J, Pawson T. Multiple ephrins control cell organization in C. elegans using kinase-dependent and -independent functions of the VAB-1 Eph receptor. Mol Cell. 1999;4:903-13 pubmed..elegans. ..
- Lum D, Kuwabara P, Zarkower D, Spence A. Direct protein-protein interaction between the intracellular domain of TRA-2 and the transcription factor TRA-1A modulates feminizing activity in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2000;14:3153-65 pubmed..We further show that tagged derivatives of the intracellular domain of TRA-2 localize to the nucleus, supporting the hypothesis that this domain is capable of modulating TRA-1A activity in a manner reminiscent of Notch and Su(H). ..
- Morrison G, van der Kooy D. A mutation in the AMPA-type glutamate receptor, glr-1, blocks olfactory associative and nonassociative learning in Caenorhabditis elegans. Behav Neurosci. 2001;115:640-9 pubmed..The results suggest that although associative and nonassociative learning can be genetically dissociated (lrn-1 and lrn-2), they also share some common molecular processes, including glr-1-mediated neurotransmission. ..
- Mok C, Healey M, Shekhar T, Leroux M, Heon E, Zhen M. Mutations in a guanylate cyclase GCY-35/GCY-36 modify Bardet-Biedl syndrome-associated phenotypes in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002335 pubmed publisher..We propose that a misregulation of cGMP signalling, which underlies developmental and some behavioural defects of C. elegans bbs mutants, may also contribute to some BBS features in other organisms. ..
- Chen S, Zhou S, Sarkar M, Spence A, Schachter H. Expression of three Caenorhabditis elegans N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase I genes during development. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:288-97 pubmed..Transgenic worms that overexpress any one of the three genes show no obvious phenotypic defects. The data indicate that C. elegans is a suitable model for further study of the role of complex N-glycans in development. ..
- Murray R, Kozlowska J, Cutter A. Heritable determinants of male fertilization success in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. BMC Evol Biol. 2011;11:99 pubmed publisher..C. elegans provides a powerful, tractable system for studying sexual selection and for dissecting the genetic basis and evolution of reproduction-related traits. ..
- Zhang Y, Kubiseski T. Caenorhabditis elegans wsp-1 regulation of synaptic function at the neuromuscular junction. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:23040-6 pubmed publisher..These results provide genetic and pharmacological evidence that WSP-1 plays an essential role to stabilize the actin cytoskeleton at the neuronal active zone of the neuromuscular junction to restrain synaptic vesicle release. ..
- Pilon M, Peng X, Spence A, Plasterk R, Dosch H. The diabetes autoantigen ICA69 and its Caenorhabditis elegans homologue, ric-19, are conserved regulators of neuroendocrine secretion. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3277-88 pubmed
- Suo S, Culotti J, Van Tol H. Dopamine suppresses octopamine signaling in C. elegans: possible involvement of dopamine in the regulation of lifespan. Aging (Albany NY). 2009;1:870-4 pubmed..Here, we discuss the apparent conservation of neural and molecular mechanisms for dopamine regulation of octopamine/noradrenaline signaling and a possible role for dopamine in lifespan regulation. ..
- Steven R, Kubiseski T, Zheng H, Kulkarni S, Mancillas J, Ruiz Morales A, et al. UNC-73 activates the Rac GTPase and is required for cell and growth cone migrations in C. elegans. Cell. 1998;92:785-95 pubmed..Our results suggest that UNC-73 acts cell autonomously in a protein complex to regulate actin dynamics during cell and growth cone migrations. ..
- Dixon S, Roy P. Muscle arm development in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 2005;132:3079-92 pubmed..The muscle arm phenotypes produced when these genes are mutated support a 'two-phase' model that distinguishes passive muscle arm development in embryogenesis from active muscle arm extension during larval development. ..
- Quevedo C, Kaplan D, Derry W. AKT-1 regulates DNA-damage-induced germline apoptosis in C. elegans. Curr Biol. 2007;17:286-92 pubmed..Finally, we show that AKT-1 regulates apoptosis but not cell-cycle progression downstream of the HUS-1/MRT-2 branch of the DNA damage checkpoint. ..
- Wedeles C, Wu M, Claycomb J. A multitasking Argonaute: exploring the many facets of C. elegans CSR-1. Chromosome Res. 2013;21:573-86 pubmed publisher..elegans Argonaute out of 24 family members in total. Here, we summarize the current understanding of CSR-1 functions in the worm, with emphasis on the chromatin-directed activities of this ever-intriguing Argonaute. ..
- Wang W, Bouhours M, Gracheva E, Liao E, Xu K, Sengar A, et al. ITSN-1 controls vesicle recycling at the neuromuscular junction and functions in parallel with DAB-1. Traffic. 2008;9:742-54 pubmed publisher..These results show for the first time that intersectin and Eps15 proteins function in the same genetic pathway, and appear to function synergistically with the clathrin-coat-associated sorting protein, Disabled, for viability. ..
- Snow B, Krumins A, Brothers G, Lee S, Wall M, Chung S, et al. A G protein gamma subunit-like domain shared between RGS11 and other RGS proteins specifies binding to Gbeta5 subunits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13307-12 pubmed..RGS proteins that contain GGL domains appear to act as GAPs for Galpha proteins and form complexes with specific Gbeta subunits, adding to the combinatorial complexity of G protein-mediated signaling pathways. ..
- Rozakis Adcock M, McGlade J, Mbamalu G, Pelicci G, Daly R, Li W, et al. Association of the Shc and Grb2/Sem5 SH2-containing proteins is implicated in activation of the Ras pathway by tyrosine kinases. Nature. 1992;360:689-92 pubmed..These results suggest that Shc tyrosine phosphorylation can couple tyrosine kinases to Grb2/Sem-5, through formation of a Shc-Grb2/Sem-5 complex, and thereby regulate the mammalian Ras signalling pathway. ..
- Johnson C, Spence A. Epigenetic licensing of germline gene expression by maternal RNA in C. elegans. Science. 2011;333:1311-4 pubmed publisher..This mechanism may contribute to protecting the identity and integrity of the germ line. ..
- Pawson T, Olivier P, Rozakis Adcock M, McGlade J, Henkemeyer M. Proteins with SH2 and SH3 domains couple receptor tyrosine kinases to intracellular signalling pathways. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1993;340:279-85 pubmed..Evidence suggesting that SH2 and SH3 domains act synergistically in stimulation of the Ras pathway is discussed. ..
- Ross A, Li M, Yu B, Gao M, Derry W. The EEL-1 ubiquitin ligase promotes DNA damage-induced germ cell apoptosis in C. elegans. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:1140-9 pubmed publisher..Although ee1-1 mutants exhibit hypersensitivity to genotoxic stress they do not appear to be defective in DNA repair, suggesting a distinct role for EEL-1 in promoting damage-induced apoptosis in the germline. ..
- Johnston W, Krizus A, Dennis J. Eggshell chitin and chitin-interacting proteins prevent polyspermy in C. elegans. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1932-7 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that eggshell chitin is required to prevent polyspermy in C. elegans, in addition to its previously reported requirement in polar body extrusion and polarization of the zygote. ..
- Chan S, Zheng H, Su M, Wilk R, Killeen M, Hedgecock E, et al. UNC-40, a C. elegans homolog of DCC (Deleted in Colorectal Cancer), is required in motile cells responding to UNC-6 netrin cues. Cell. 1996;87:187-95 pubmed..Together with the recent report that DCC is a netrin receptor in vertebrates, our results suggest that UNC-40 is a component of UNC-6 receptors on motile cells. ..
- Warren C, Krizus A, Roy P, Culotti J, Dennis J. The Caenorhabditis elegans gene, gly-2, can rescue the N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V mutation of Lec4 cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:22829-38 pubmed..However, no overt phenotypes were observed in animals homozygous for deletion alleles of gly-2. ..
- Sassi H, Renihan S, Spence A, Cooperstock R. Gene CATCHR--gene cloning and tagging for Caenorhabditis elegans using yeast homologous recombination: a novel approach for the analysis of gene expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:e163 pubmed..Mutant rescue assays demonstrate that Gene Catchr-generated transgenes are functional. Our results validate the use of Gene Catchr as a valuable tool to study spatiotemporal gene expression. ..
- Gao M, Liao E, Yu B, Wang Y, Zhen M, Derry W. The SCF FSN-1 ubiquitin ligase controls germline apoptosis through CEP-1/p53 in C. elegans. Cell Death Differ. 2008;15:1054-62 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a novel role for the SCF(FSN-1) E3 ubiquitin ligase in the regulation of cep-1-dependent germ cell apoptosis. ..
- Ito S, Greiss S, Gartner A, Derry W. Cell-nonautonomous regulation of C. elegans germ cell death by kri-1. Curr Biol. 2010;20:333-8 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, we find that kri-1 regulates cell death in a cell-nonautonomous manner, revealing a novel regulatory role for nondying cells in eliciting cell death in response to DNA damage. ..
- Yeh E, Kawano T, Ng S, Fetter R, Hung W, Wang Y, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans innexins regulate active zone differentiation. J Neurosci. 2009;29:5207-17 pubmed publisher..Our mosaic analyses, electron microscopy, as well as expression studies suggest a novel and likely nonjunctional role of specific innexins in active zone differentiation in addition to gap junction formations. ..
- Lant B, Derry W. Methods for detection and analysis of apoptosis signaling in the C. elegans germline. Methods. 2013;61:174-82 pubmed publisher..We also present the limitations of these methods, and suggest complimentary techniques in order that researchers new to the field can comprehensively assess apoptosis phenotypes in the C. elegans germline. ..
- Sokolowski M. Genes for normal behavioral variation: recent clues from flies and worms. Neuron. 1998;21:463-6 pubmed
- Ramani A, Chuluunbaatar T, Verster A, Na H, Vu V, Pelte N, et al. The majority of animal genes are required for wild-type fitness. Cell. 2012;148:792-802 pubmed publisher..This is a higher proportion than for yeast genes, and we suggest that the source of negative selection is different in animals and in unicellular eukaryotes. ..
- Harris K, Tepass U. Cdc42 and vesicle trafficking in polarized cells. Traffic. 2010;11:1272-9 pubmed publisher..The recent discovery that the Par polarity complex co-operates with Cdc42 in the regulation of endocytosis and recycling opens exciting possibilities for the integration of polarity protein function and endocytotic machinery. ..
- Dalpé G, Zheng H, Brown L, Culotti J. Semaphorin-1 and netrin signal in parallel and permissively to position the male ray 1 sensillum in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2012;192:959-71 pubmed publisher..Several lines of evidence indicate that SMP-1 and UNC-6 function permissively in the context of ray 1 positioning. ..
- Xin X, Gfeller D, Cheng J, Tonikian R, Sun L, Guo A, et al. SH3 interactome conserves general function over specific form. Mol Syst Biol. 2013;9:652 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, orthologous SH3 domain-mediated interactions are highly rewired. Our results suggest a model of network evolution where general function of the SH3 domain network is conserved over its specific form. ..
- Donoviel D, Donoviel M, Fan E, Hadjantonakis A, Bernstein A. Cloning and characterization of Sel-1l, a murine homolog of the C. elegans sel-1 gene. Mech Dev. 1998;78:203-7 pubmed..5 and E17.5 in the acini of the pancreas, and moderate in the epithelial cells of the gut villi. We localized the SEL-1L protein to the cytosol, possibly in intracellular vesicles, in a beta-islet-derived tumor cell line (RinM). ..
- Akay A, Di Doménico T, Suen K, Nabih A, Parada G, Larance M, et al. The Helicase Aquarius/EMB-4 Is Required to Overcome Intronic Barriers to Allow Nuclear RNAi Pathways to Heritably Silence Transcription. Dev Cell. 2017;42:241-255.e6 pubmed publisher..Thus, Aquarius and HRDE-1 act as gatekeepers coordinating gene expression and genome defense. ..
- Mehra A, Gaudet J, Heck L, Kuwabara P, Spence A. Negative regulation of male development in Caenorhabditis elegans by a protein-protein interaction between TRA-2A and FEM-3. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1453-63 pubmed..When the balance favors FEM-3, it acts through or with the other FEM proteins to promote male cell fates. ..
- Stambolic V, Mak T, Woodgett J. Modulation of cellular apoptotic potential: contributions to oncogenesis. Oncogene. 1999;18:6094-103 pubmed..This review focuses on the regulation and mechanisms by which PKB activation protects cells and the oncologic consequences of dysregulation of the pathway. ..
- Suo S, Kimura Y, Van Tol H. Starvation induces cAMP response element-binding protein-dependent gene expression through octopamine-Gq signaling in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Neurosci. 2006;26:10082-90 pubmed..The results show that the endogenous octopamine system in C. elegans is activated by starvation and that different environmental stimuli can activate CREB through G alpha(q). ..
- Alexander M, Selman G, Seetharaman A, Chan K, D Souza S, Byrne A, et al. MADD-2, a homolog of the Opitz syndrome protein MID1, regulates guidance to the midline through UNC-40 in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Cell. 2010;18:961-72 pubmed publisher..The analogous phenotypes that result from MADD-2 and MID1 mutations suggest that C1-TRIM proteins may have a conserved biological role in midline-oriented developmental events. ..
- On T, Xiong X, Pu S, Turinsky A, Gong Y, Emili A, et al. The evolutionary landscape of the chromatin modification machinery reveals lineage specific gains, expansions, and losses. Proteins. 2010;78:2075-89 pubmed publisher..As such, in addition to informing on the evolution of CM as a system, this study provides a set of comparative genomic approaches that can be generally applied to any biological systems. ..
- Johnston W, Krizus A, Dennis J. The eggshell is required for meiotic fidelity, polar-body extrusion and polarization of the C. elegans embryo. BMC Biol. 2006;4:35 pubmed..Furthermore, the earliest meiotic roles precede osmotic barrier formation, indicating that the role of the eggshell is not limited to generation of the osmotic barrier. ..
- Kawano T, Zheng H, Merz D, Kohara Y, Tamai K, Nishiwaki K, et al. C. elegans mig-6 encodes papilin isoforms that affect distinct aspects of DTC migration, and interacts genetically with mig-17 and collagen IV. Development. 2009;136:1433-42 pubmed publisher..Genetic data also suggest that MIG-6S and non-fibrillar network collagen IV play antagonistic roles to ensure normal phase 2 DTC guidance. ..
- Alexander M, Chan K, Byrne A, Selman G, Lee T, Ono J, et al. An UNC-40 pathway directs postsynaptic membrane extension in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development. 2009;136:911-22 pubmed publisher..Our work is the first to define a pathway for directed muscle membrane extension and illustrates that axon guidance components can play key roles in postsynaptic membrane expansion. ..
- Steven R, Zhang L, Culotti J, Pawson T. The UNC-73/Trio RhoGEF-2 domain is required in separate isoforms for the regulation of pharynx pumping and normal neurotransmission in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2016-29 pubmed
- Johnston W, Dennis J. The eggshell in the C. elegans oocyte-to-embryo transition. Genesis. 2012;50:333-49 pubmed publisher..The C. elegans eggshell is proving to be an excellent, tractable system to study the molecular cues of the extracellular matrix that instruct cell polarity and early development. ..
- Schvarzstein M, Spence A. The C. elegans sex-determining GLI protein TRA-1A is regulated by sex-specific proteolysis. Dev Cell. 2006;11:733-40 pubmed..elegans sex determination. ..
- Wang Y, Gracheva E, Richmond J, Kawano T, Couto J, Calarco J, et al. The C2H2 zinc-finger protein SYD-9 is a putative posttranscriptional regulator for synaptic transmission. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:10450-10455 pubmed publisher..We propose that neuronal SYD-9 proteins are previously uncharacterized and specific posttranscriptional regulators of synaptic vesicle endocytosis. ..
- Sarkar M, Leventis P, Silvescu C, Reinhold V, Schachter H, Boulianne G. Null mutations in Drosophila N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase I produce defects in locomotion and a reduced life span. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12776-85 pubmed..Taken together, the data indicate that beta1,2-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase I-dependent N-glycans are required for locomotory activity, life span, and brain development in Drosophila. ..
- MacNeil L, Hardy W, Pawson T, Wrana J, Culotti J. UNC-129 regulates the balance between UNC-40 dependent and independent UNC-5 signaling pathways. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:150-5 pubmed publisher..Similar regulatory interactions between oppositely graded extracellular cues may be a common theme in guided cell and axon migrations. ..
- Hung W, Hwang C, Gao S, Liao E, Chitturi J, Wang Y, et al. Attenuation of insulin signalling contributes to FSN-1-mediated regulation of synapse development. EMBO J. 2013;32:1745-60 pubmed publisher..We propose that FSN-1 may negatively regulate insulin/IGF signalling, in part, through EGL-3-dependent insulin-like ligand processing. ..
- Tong J, Killeen M, Steven R, Binns K, Culotti J, Pawson T. Netrin stimulates tyrosine phosphorylation of the UNC-5 family of netrin receptors and induces Shp2 binding to the RCM cytodomain. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:40917-25 pubmed..These results suggest that netrin-stimulated phosphorylation of RCM Tyr(568) recruits Shp2 to the cell membrane where it can potentially modify RCM phosphorylation and function. ..
- Colavita A, Krishna S, Zheng H, Padgett R, Culotti J. Pioneer axon guidance by UNC-129, a C. elegans TGF-beta. Science. 1998;281:706-9 pubmed..Thus, UNC-129 mediates expression of dorsoventral polarity information required for axon guidance and guided cell migrations in C. elegans. ..
- Suo S, Culotti J, Van Tol H. Dopamine counteracts octopamine signalling in a neural circuit mediating food response in C. elegans. EMBO J. 2009;28:2437-48 pubmed publisher..Our results show that C. elegans detects the absence of food by using a small neural circuit composed of three neuron types in which octopaminergic signalling is activated by the cessation of dopamine signalling. ..
- Koon J, Kubiseski T. Developmental arrest of Caenorhabditis elegans BRAP-2 mutant exposed to oxidative stress is dependent on BRC-1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:13437-43 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that BRAP-2 is necessary for preventing an inappropriate response to elevated levels of reactive oxygen species by countering premature activation of BRC-1 and CKI-1. ..