Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on blood proteins in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Topic: blood proteins
- Zimmerman B, Silverman F, Tarlo S, Chapman K, Kubay J, Urch B. Induced sputum: comparison of postinfectious cough with allergic asthma in children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000;105:495-9 pubmed..These results suggest that postinfectious cough in children has different pathophysiologic features than allergic asthma and probably represents a different disease. ..
- Swallow C, Partridge E, Macmillan J, Tajirian T, DiGuglielmo G, Hay K, et al. alpha2HS-glycoprotein, an antagonist of transforming growth factor beta in vivo, inhibits intestinal tumor progression. Cancer Res. 2004;64:6402-9 pubmed..Reconstitution of Ahsg-/- mice with bovine Ahsg suppressed endogenous TGF-beta-dependent signaling to wild-type levels, suggesting that therapeutic enhancement of AHSG levels may benefit patients whose tumors are driven by TGF-beta. ..
- Kimura Y, Hart A, Hirashima M, Wang C, Holmyard D, Pittman J, et al. Zinc finger protein, Hzf, is required for megakaryocyte development and hemostasis. J Exp Med. 2002;195:941-52 pubmed..These results indicate that Hzf plays important roles in regulating the synthesis of alpha-granule substances and/or their packing into alpha-granules during the process of megakaryopoiesis. ..
- Harrison R, Sikorski B, Jongstra J. Leukocyte-specific protein 1 targets the ERK/MAP kinase scaffold protein KSR and MEK1 and ERK2 to the actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:2151-7 pubmed
- Ma J, Liew C. Gene profiling identifies secreted protein transcripts from peripheral blood cells in coronary artery disease. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2003;35:993-8 pubmed
- Hoeflich K, Tsukita S, Hicks L, Kay C, Tsukita S, Ikura M. Insights into a single rod-like helix in activated radixin required for membrane-cytoskeletal cross-linking. Biochemistry. 2003;42:11634-41 pubmed..Furthermore, deletion of this unusually long alpha-helical structure (radixin residues 314-411) prevents ERM membrane targeting in vivo. ..
- Saraon P, Musrap N, Cretu D, Karagiannis G, Batruch I, Smith C, et al. Proteomic profiling of androgen-independent prostate cancer cell lines reveals a role for protein S during the development of high grade and castration-resistant prostate cancer. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:34019-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show that PROS1 is elevated in high grade and castration-resistant prostate cancer and could serve as a potential biomarker of aggressive disease. ..
- Liu J, Fairn G, Ceccarelli D, Sicheri F, Wilde A. Cleavage furrow organization requires PIP(2)-mediated recruitment of anillin. Curr Biol. 2012;22:64-9 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the anillin PH domain has two functions: targeting anillin to the furrow by binding to PI(4,5)P(2) to maintain furrow organization and recruiting septins to the furrow. ..
- Kahr W, Hinckley J, Li L, Schwertz H, Christensen H, Rowley J, et al. Mutations in NBEAL2, encoding a BEACH protein, cause gray platelet syndrome. Nat Genet. 2011;43:738-40 pubmed publisher..NBEAL2 encodes a protein containing a BEACH domain that is predicted to be involved in vesicular trafficking and may be critical for the development of platelet ?-granules. ..
- Hui S, Choi J, Zaidi S, Momen A, Steinbach S, Sadi A, et al. Peptide-mediated disruption of calmodulin-cyclin E interactions inhibits proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells and neointima formation. Circ Res. 2011;108:1053-62 pubmed publisher..Importantly, this effect appears to be cyclin E-dependent and may form the basis of a potentially novel therapeutic approach for restenosis. ..
- Reheman A, Tasneem S, Ni H, Hayward C. Mice with deleted multimerin 1 and alpha-synuclein genes have impaired platelet adhesion and impaired thrombus formation that is corrected by multimerin 1. Thromb Res. 2010;125:e177-83 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that multimerin 1 supports platelet adhesive functions and thrombus formation, which will be important to verify by generating and testing selective multimerin 1 deficient mice. ..
- Pham N, Schwock J, Iakovlev V, Pond G, Hedley D, Tsao M. Immunohistochemical analysis of changes in signaling pathway activation downstream of growth factor receptors in pancreatic duct cell carcinogenesis. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:43 pubmed publisher..The ERK pathway activation appears also increased in duct epithelia adjacent to carcinoma, suggesting tumor micro-environmental effects. ..
- Rittenberg B, Partridge E, Baker G, Clokie C, Zohar R, Dennis J, et al. Regulation of BMP-induced ectopic bone formation by Ahsg. J Orthop Res. 2005;23:653-62 pubmed..Our results suggest that Ahsg may be useful for prevention of the heterotopic ossification and the regulation of osteoinductive effects of BMP used with grafts. ..
- Mas A, Sarkar B. Role of glutathione in selenite binding by human plasma. Biol Trace Elem Res. 1989;20:95-104 pubmed..A saturable low molecular weight compound is also able to bind selenium, which may be relevant in the initial distribution and excretion of selenium after selenite administration...
- Mas A, Jiang J, Sarkar B. Selenite metabolism in rat and human blood. Biol Trace Elem Res. 1988;15:97-110 pubmed..At least two proteins, one albumin like, probably albumin itself and the other of molecular weight close to or greater than 200,000 in the plasma, are involved in the binding and efflux processes...
- Anderson S, Gallinger S, Roder J, Frey J, Young H, Ortaldo J. A cyclophilin-related protein involved in the function of natural killer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:542-6 pubmed..There are also three regions that contain extensive arginine- and serine-rich repeats. Comparison of the human and mouse predicted amino acid sequences revealed > 80% homology. ..
- Steven R, Kubiseski T, Zheng H, Kulkarni S, Mancillas J, Ruiz Morales A, et al. UNC-73 activates the Rac GTPase and is required for cell and growth cone migrations in C. elegans. Cell. 1998;92:785-95 pubmed..Our results suggest that UNC-73 acts cell autonomously in a protein complex to regulate actin dynamics during cell and growth cone migrations. ..
- Koehler J, Moran M. Regulation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase activity by p120 RasGAP does not involve its pleckstrin homology or calcium-dependent lipid binding domains but does require these domains to regulate cell proliferation. Cell Growth Differ. 2001;12:551-61 pubmed..Our results, therefore, suggest that p120GAP functions not only by down-regulating the Ras/MAPK pathway after growth factor stimulation but is also important in regulating cell proliferation that involves its PH and CaLB domains. ..
- Liu J, Zeng F, Allen C. Influence of serum protein on polycarbonate-based copolymer micelles as a delivery system for a hydrophobic anti-cancer agent. J Control Release. 2005;103:481-97 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that although there are no significant interactions between micelle and protein, the properties of the micelle as a delivery vehicle may be strongly influenced by protein-drug interactions. ..
- Szweras M, Liu D, Partridge E, Pawling J, Sukhu B, Clokie C, et al. alpha 2-HS glycoprotein/fetuin, a transforming growth factor-beta/bone morphogenetic protein antagonist, regulates postnatal bone growth and remodeling. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:19991-7 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that ASHG blocks TGF-beta-dependent signaling in osteoblastic cells, and mice lacking ASHG display growth plate defects, increased bone formation with age, and enhanced cytokine-dependent osteogenesis. ..
- Jahangir A, McClung W, Cornelius R, McCloskey C, Brash J, Santerre J. Fluorinated surface-modifying macromolecules: modulating adhesive protein and platelet interactions on a polyether-urethane. J Biomed Mater Res. 2002;60:135-47 pubmed..Based on the current evidence, it is believed that the fluorinated SMMs demonstrate good potential for the development of surfaces with minimal thrombogenic character in in vivo applications...
- Haroon N, Tsui F, O Shea F, Chiu B, Tsui H, Zhang H, et al. From gene expression to serum proteins: biomarker discovery in ankylosing spondylitis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:297-300 pubmed publisher..04). The fold change in sLIGHT correlated with change in both CRP (R = 0.71, p = 0.002) and ESR (R = 0.77, p<0.001). LIGHT is significantly downregulated by infliximab. sLIGHT correlated well with changes in inflammatory markers. ..
- Papageorgiou P, Simos D, Boomsma F, Rojkjaer R, Osmond D. Angiotensin converting enzyme-regulated, noncholinergic sympathoadrenal catecholamine release mediates the cardiovascular actions of human 'new pressor protein' related to coagulation beta-factor XIIa. Can J Cardiol. 2009;25:e100-8 pubmed
- Wong K, Li Y, Howard J, Ben David Y. Loss of p53 in F-MuLV induced-erythroleukemias accelerates the acquisition of mutational events that confers immortality and growth factor independence. Oncogene. 1999;18:5525-34 pubmed..We propose that, in F-MuLV induced-erythroleukemias, p53 loss may encourage the accumulation of further mutations, subsequently conferring a growth advantage and immortality to the transformed erythroblasts. ..
- Amfilochiadis A, Papageorgiou P, Kogan N, Boomsma F, Osmond D. Role of bradykinin B2-receptor in the sympathoadrenal effects of 'new pressor protein' related to human blood coagulation factor XII fragment. J Hypertens. 2004;22:1173-81 pubmed..05) and noradrenaline from 505 +/- 66 to 77 +/-29 pg/ml (decrease of 85%; P < 0.05). The haemodynamic and sympathoadrenal effects of NPP involve substantial mediation by the bradykinin B2-receptor, in addition to other mechanisms. ..
- Walkey C, Olsen J, Guo H, Emili A, Chan W. Nanoparticle size and surface chemistry determine serum protein adsorption and macrophage uptake. J Am Chem Soc. 2012;134:2139-47 pubmed publisher..This study establishes principles for the rational design of clinically useful nanomaterials. ..
- Matsumoto S, Ding L, Ishii M, Fischer N, Inaba T. The interaction of human and bovine serum proteins with CYP3A in human liver microsomes: inhibition of testosterone 6beta-hydroxylation by albumin, alpha-globulins, alpha(1)-acid glycoprotein and gamma-globulins. Toxicol Lett. 2002;136:33-41 pubmed..Since the bovine serum proteins showed weaker inhibitory effects than human serum proteins, the wide use of BSA, which is viewed as interchangeable with HSA, needs to be cautioned. ..
- Mavrogiannis L, Trambakoulos D, Boomsma F, Osmond D. The sympathoadrenal system mediates the blood pressure and cardiac effects of human coagulation factor XII-related "new pressor protein". Can J Cardiol. 2002;18:1077-86 pubmed..Clinical relevance depends on whether NPP is formed in vivo in thrombotic states. ..
- Hidaka M, Caruana G, Stanford W, Sam M, Correll P, Bernstein A. Gene trapping of two novel genes, Hzf and Hhl, expressed in hematopoietic cells. Mech Dev. 2000;90:3-15 pubmed..These results demonstrate the utility of expression trapping to identify novel hematopoietic genes. Future studies of Hzf and Hhl should provide valuable information on the role these genes play during megakaryocytopoiesis. ..
- Tse W, Zhu W, Chen H, Cohen A. A novel gene, AF1q, fused to MLL in t(1;11) (q21;q23), is specifically expressed in leukemic and immature hematopoietic cells. Blood. 1995;85:650-6 pubmed..The AF1q mRNA is highly expressed in the thymus but not in peripheral lymphoid tissues. In contrast to its restricted distribution in normal hematopoietic tissue, AF1q was expressed in all leukemic cell lines tested. ..