Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- McPherson J, Sarras H, Lemmers B, Tamblyn L, Migon E, Matysiak Zablocki E, et al. Essential role for Bclaf1 in lung development and immune system function. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:331-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings show a critical role for Bclaf1 in developmental processes independent of apoptosis. ..
- Han J, Kushner S, Yiu A, Hsiang H, Buch T, Waisman A, et al. Selective erasure of a fear memory. Science. 2009;323:1492-6 pubmed publisher..These results establish a causal link between a specific neuronal subpopulation and memory expression, thereby identifying critical neurons within the memory trace. ..
- Marchong M, Yurkowski C, Ma C, Spencer C, Pajovic S, Gallie B. Cdh11 acts as a tumor suppressor in a murine retinoblastoma model by facilitating tumor cell death. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000923 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Cdh11 displays tumor suppressor properties in vivo and in vitro in murine retinoblastoma through promotion of cell death. ..
- Rask F, Dallabrida S, Ismail N, Amoozgar Z, Yeo Y, Rupnick M, et al. Photocrosslinkable chitosan modified with angiopoietin-1 peptide, QHREDGS, promotes survival of neonatal rat heart cells. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2010;95:105-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, Az-chitosan-QHREDGS supports attachment and survival of neonatal rat heart cells. ..
- Xu E, Kantores C, Ivanovska J, Engelberts D, Kavanagh B, McNamara P, et al. Rescue treatment with a Rho-kinase inhibitor normalizes right ventricular function and reverses remodeling in juvenile rats with chronic pulmonary hypertension. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;299:H1854-64 pubmed publisher..In addition, our data suggest that ROCK-II may be dominant in enhancing survival of pulmonary arterial smooth muscle. ..
- Singh K, Shukla P, Quan A, Desjardins J, Lovren F, Pan Y, et al. BRCA2 protein deficiency exaggerates doxorubicin-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis and cardiac failure. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:6604-14 pubmed publisher..Pharmacogenomic studies evaluating cardiac function in BRCA2 mutation carriers treated with doxorubicin are encouraged. ..
- Reginensi A, Scott R, Gregorieff A, Bagherie Lachidan M, Chung C, Lim D, et al. Yap- and Cdc42-dependent nephrogenesis and morphogenesis during mouse kidney development. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003380 pubmed publisher..We propose that Yap responds to Cdc42-dependent signals in nephron progenitor cells to activate a genetic program required to shape the functioning nephron. ..
- Sun M, Ouzounian M, de Couto G, Chen M, Yan R, Fukuoka M, et al. Cathepsin-L ameliorates cardiac hypertrophy through activation of the autophagy-lysosomal dependent protein processing pathways. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013;2:e000191 pubmed publisher..Lysosomal CTSL attenuates cardiac hypertrophy and preserves cardiac function through facilitation of autophagy and proteasomal protein processing. ..
- Chan E, McQuibban G. The mitochondrial rhomboid protease: its rise from obscurity to the pinnacle of disease-relevant genes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1828:2916-25 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize the current knowledge and disease relevance of the mitochondrial-localized rhomboid protease. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Intramembrane Proteases. ..
- Zhang Z, Subramaniam S, Kale J, Liao C, Huang B, Brahmbhatt H, et al. BH3-in-groove dimerization initiates and helix 9 dimerization expands Bax pore assembly in membranes. EMBO J. 2016;35:208-36 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the BH3-in-groove dimerization on the MOM nucleates the assembly of an oligomeric Bax pore that is enlarged by Î±9 dimerization at the rim. ..
- Speiser D, Lee S, Wong B, Arron J, Santana A, Kong Y, et al. A regulatory role for TRAF1 in antigen-induced apoptosis of T cells. J Exp Med. 1997;185:1777-83 pubmed
- Grisaru S, Cano Gauci D, Tee J, Filmus J, Rosenblum N. Glypican-3 modulates BMP- and FGF-mediated effects during renal branching morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2001;231:31-46 pubmed..We propose that GPC3 modulates the actions of stimulatory and inhibitory growth factors during branching morphogenesis. ..
- Dimitroulakos J, Ye L, Benzaquen M, Moore M, Kamel Reid S, Freedman M, et al. Differential sensitivity of various pediatric cancers and squamous cell carcinomas to lovastatin-induced apoptosis: therapeutic implications. Clin Cancer Res. 2001;7:158-67 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a subset of tumors that are sensitive to lovastatin-induced apoptosis and show HMG-CoA reductase as a potential therapeutic target of these cancers. ..
- Drucker D. Glucagon-like peptides: regulators of cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis. Mol Endocrinol. 2003;17:161-71 pubmed publisher..Hence, peptide hormones, as exemplified by GLP-1 and GLP-2, may prove to be useful adjunctive tools for enhancement of cell differentiation, tissue regeneration, and cytoprotection for the treatment of human disease...
- Chen L, Woo M, Hakem R, Miller R. Perforin-dependent activation-induced cell death acts through caspase 3 but not through caspases 8 or 9. Eur J Immunol. 2003;33:769-78 pubmed..Thus, perforin-dependent early AICD appears to require activation of caspase 3, but not caspases 8 or 9. As perforin has no intrinsic catalytic abilities, we propose that it releases some endogenous activity that can activate caspase 3. ..
- Mohammed F, Smookler D, Taylor S, Fingleton B, Kassiri Z, Sanchez O, et al. Abnormal TNF activity in Timp3-/- mice leads to chronic hepatic inflammation and failure of liver regeneration. Nat Genet. 2004;36:969-77 pubmed..Dysregulation of TNF occurred specifically in Timp3(-/-), and not Timp1(-/-) mice. These data indicate that TIMP3 is a crucial innate negative regulator of TNF in both tissue homeostasis and tissue response to injury. ..
- Dellaire G, Bazett Jones D. PML nuclear bodies: dynamic sensors of DNA damage and cellular stress. Bioessays. 2004;26:963-77 pubmed..The dramatically increased total surface area available would enhance interactions between PML-associated factors regulating DNA repair and apoptosis...
- Suzuki T, Moraes T, Vachon E, Ginzberg H, Huang T, Matthay M, et al. Proteinase-activated receptor-1 mediates elastase-induced apoptosis of human lung epithelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2005;33:231-47 pubmed
- Casha S, Yu W, Fehlings M. FAS deficiency reduces apoptosis, spares axons and improves function after spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol. 2005;196:390-400 pubmed..We conclude that inhibition of the FAS pathway may be a clinically attractive neuroprotective strategy directed towards oligodendroglial and axonal preservation in the treatment of SCI and neurotrauma. ..
- Kim J, Huang Z, Mo R. Gli3 null mice display glandular overgrowth of the developing stomach. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:984-91 pubmed..The embryonic stomach is a unique model of the Hedgehog pathway function and one that may help to uncover some of the mechanisms underlying the development of intestinal metaplasia. ..
- You H, Pellegrini M, Tsuchihara K, Yamamoto K, Hacker G, Erlacher M, et al. FOXO3a-dependent regulation of Puma in response to cytokine/growth factor withdrawal. J Exp Med. 2006;203:1657-63 pubmed..Our results suggest that Puma, together with another BH3 only member, Bim, function as FOXO3a downstream targets to mediate a stress response when PI3K/Akt signaling is down-regulated. ..
- Murooka T, Wong M, Rahbar R, Majchrzak Kita B, Proudfoot A, Fish E. CCL5-CCR5-mediated apoptosis in T cells: Requirement for glycosaminoglycan binding and CCL5 aggregation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25184-94 pubmed..Viewed altogether, these data suggest that CCL5-GAG binding and CCL5 aggregation are important for CCL5 activity in T cells, specifically in the context of CCR5-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Greenberg J, Somme S, Russnes H, Durbin A, Malkin D. The estrogen receptor pathway in rhabdomyosarcoma: a role for estrogen receptor-beta in proliferation and response to the antiestrogen 4'OH-tamoxifen. Cancer Res. 2008;68:3476-85 pubmed publisher..The ability of 4OHT to induce apoptotic signaling and disrupt estradiol-mediated proliferation provides a rationale to explore a role for selective ER modulators in the treatment of RMS. ..
- Xuan W, Li Y, Liu G, Ben David Y, Archer M. Interleukin-24 induces expression of beta4 integrin but suppresses anchorage-independent growth of rat mammary tumor cells by a mechanism that is independent of beta4. Mol Cancer Res. 2009;7:433-42 pubmed publisher..Our results show that IL-24 suppresses the growth of rat mammary carcinoma cells and may play a role in the resistance of Copenhagen rats to mammary carcinogenesis. ..
- Ljubicic V, Menzies K, Hood D. Mitochondrial dysfunction is associated with a pro-apoptotic cellular environment in senescent cardiac muscle. Mech Ageing Dev. 2010;131:79-88 pubmed publisher..Thus, the specific compartmentalization of apoptogenic proteins implies that mitochondrially mediated cell death signaling is highly active in the aged myocardium, which may contribute to progressive cardiac pathophysiology...
- Huang L, Muthuswamy S. Polarity protein alterations in carcinoma: a focus on emerging roles for polarity regulators. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2010;20:41-50 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the emerging role of polarity proteins as regulators of proliferation, apoptosis, tissue polarity, epithelial-mesenchymal transition, in addition to their known role in cell junction biogenesis. ..
- Chung J, Lau J, Cheng L, Grant R, Robinson F, Ketela T, et al. SATB2 augments ?Np63? in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. EMBO Rep. 2010;11:777-83 pubmed publisher..These findings unveil SATB2 as a pivotal modulator of ?Np63? that governs HNSCC cell survival. ..
- Ma W, Lin Y, Xuan W, Iversen P, Smith L, Benchimol S. Inhibition of p53 expression by peptide-conjugated phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomers sensitizes human cancer cells to chemotherapeutic drugs. Oncogene. 2012;31:1024-33 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we report that PPMO-mediated inhibition of p53 expression sensitizes human cancer cells with wild-type p53 to chemotherapeutic drugs. ..
- Papinazath T, Min W, Sujiththa S, Cohen A, Ackerley C, Roifman C, et al. Effects of purine nucleoside phosphorylase deficiency on thymocyte development. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;128:854-863.e1 pubmed publisher..PNP is important for the survival of DP thymocytes. Accumulation of dGuo in cases of PNP deficiency leads to mitochondria-initiated apoptosis of DP thymocytes, which can be prevented by restoring PNP activity in the cells. ..
- Fang L, Du W, Yang X, Chen K, Ghanekar A, Levy G, et al. Versican 3'-untranslated region (3'-UTR) functions as a ceRNA in inducing the development of hepatocellular carcinoma by regulating miRNA activity. FASEB J. 2013;27:907-19 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that versican V0 and V1 isoforms play important roles in HCC development and that versican mRNAs compete with endogenous RNAs in regulating miRNA functions. ..
- Billia F, Hauck L, Grothe D, Konecny F, Rao V, Kim R, et al. Parkinson-susceptibility gene DJ-1/PARK7 protects the murine heart from oxidative damage in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:6085-90 pubmed publisher..Our results provide compelling in vivo evidence that DJ-1 is a unique and nonredundant antioxidant that functions independent of other antioxidative pathways in the cellular defense against ROS. ..
- Lan M, Li H, Bao L, Li M, Lye S, Dong X. In Vivo Evidence of the Androgen Receptor in Association With Myometrial Cell Proliferation and Apoptosis. Reprod Sci. 2016;23:264-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AR is an important regulator of myometrial growth in vivo during pregnancy and in leiomyoma. ..
- An X, Li L, Chen Y, Luo A, Ni Z, Liu J, et al. Mesenchymal Stem Cells Ameliorated Glucolipotoxicity in HUVECs through TSG-6. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:483 pubmed publisher..MSCs had protective effects on high glucose and palmitic acid induced glucolipotoxicity in HUVECs, and TSG-6 secreted by MSCs was likely to play an important role in this process. ..
- Abrahamson J, Lee J, Bernstein A. Regulation of p53-mediated apoptosis and cell cycle arrest by Steel factor. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:6953-60 pubmed
- Cumming R, Lightfoot J, Beard K, Youssoufian H, O Brien P, Buchwald M. Fanconi anemia group C protein prevents apoptosis in hematopoietic cells through redox regulation of GSTP1. Nat Med. 2001;7:814-20 pubmed..The prevention of protein oxidation by FANCC reveals a novel mechanism of enzyme regulation during apoptosis and has implications for the treatment of degenerative diseases with thiol reducing agents. ..
- Rosen K, Coll M, Li A, Filmus J. Transforming growth factor-alpha prevents detachment-induced inhibition of c-Src kinase activity, Bcl-XL down-regulation, and apoptosis of intestinal epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:37273-9 pubmed..We conclude that TGF-alpha has the ability to suppress anoikis of intestinal epithelial cells, at least in part, by reverting the loss of c-Src activity and Bcl-X(L) expression induced by detachment from the ECM. ..
- Yang Y, McKerlie C, Borenstein S, Lu Z, Schito M, Chamberlain J, et al. Transgenic expression in mouse lung reveals distinct biological roles for the adenovirus type 5 E1A 243- and 289-amino-acid proteins. J Virol. 2002;76:8910-9 pubmed..These data suggest that the Ad5 E1A 243- and 289-aa proteins lead to distinct biological roles in vivo. ..
- St Pierre B, Cooper M, Jiang Z, Zacksenhaus E, Egan S. Dynamic regulation of the Stra13/Sharp/Dec bHLH repressors in mammary epithelium. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:124-30 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that Stra13/Dec/Sharp-family bHLH repressors are dynamically regulated during mammary gland development and may function to regulate apoptosis in this tissue. ..
- Munir S, Xu G, Wu Y, Yang B, Lala P, Peng C. Nodal and ALK7 inhibit proliferation and induce apoptosis in human trophoblast cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:31277-86 pubmed..Our findings also suggest that the Nodal-ALK7 pathway inhibits cell proliferation by inducing G(1) cell cycle arrest and that this effect is mediated in part by the p27-cyclin E/Cdk2 pathway. ..
- Hecht J, Makitie O, Hayes E, Haynes R, Susic M, Montufar Solis D, et al. Chondrocyte cell death and intracellular distribution of COMP and type IX collagen in the pseudoachondroplasia growth plate. J Orthop Res. 2004;22:759-67 pubmed..These results also add to the increasing evidence that PSACH and EDM1 are rER storage diseases and that impaired linear growth and joint erosion are caused by the disruptive effect of massive amounts of COMP within the chondrocytes...
- Hao Z, Duncan G, Chang C, Elia A, Fang M, Wakeham A, et al. Specific ablation of the apoptotic functions of cytochrome C reveals a differential requirement for cytochrome C and Apaf-1 in apoptosis. Cell. 2005;121:579-591 pubmed publisher..These studies indicate the existence of a Cyt c- and apoptosome-independent but Apaf-1-dependent mechanism(s) for caspase activation. ..
- Yip K, Mao X, Au P, Hedley D, Chow S, Dalili S, et al. Benzethonium chloride: a novel anticancer agent identified by using a cell-based small-molecule screen. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:5557-69 pubmed..This study aims to identify a novel therapeutic agent for head and neck cancer and to evaluate its antitumor efficacy...
- Ho A, Li Q, Okada H, Mak T, Zacksenhaus E. XIAP activity dictates Apaf-1 dependency for caspase 9 activation. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5673-85 pubmed..Thus, caspase 9 activation in response to intrinsic apoptotic stimuli can be uncoupled from Apaf-1 in vivo by XIAP antagonists. ..
- Mao X, Liang S, Hurren R, Gronda M, Chow S, Xu G, et al. Cyproheptadine displays preclinical activity in myeloma and leukemia. Blood. 2008;112:760-9 pubmed publisher..Because the drug is well tolerated and already approved in multiple countries for clinical use as an antihistamine and appetite stimulant, it could be moved directly into clinical trials for cancer. ..
- Niapour M, Yu Y, Berger S. Regulation of calpain activity by c-Myc through calpastatin and promotion of transformation in c-Myc-negative cells by calpastatin suppression. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:21371-81 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that c-Myc regulates calpain activity through calpastatin; apoptosis induced by calpain inhibition is dependent on c-Myc, and calpastatin knockdown promotes transformation in c-Myc-negative cells. ..
- Tan K, Kosuge K, Yang M, Ito S. NRF2 as a determinant of cellular resistance in retinoic acid cytotoxicity. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008;45:1663-73 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, toxic RA activates NRF2, thereby triggering an adaptive response against the resultant oxidative stress. NRF2 enhancement as a therapeutic target of retinoid toxicity awaits further investigation. ..
- Shifrin Y, Arora P, Ohta Y, Calderwood D, McCulloch C. The role of FilGAP-filamin A interactions in mechanoprotection. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1269-79 pubmed publisher..FilGAP therefore plays a role in protecting cells against force-induced apoptosis, and this function is mediated by FLNa. ..
- Maida A, Hansotia T, Longuet C, Seino Y, Drucker D. Differential importance of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide vs glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor signaling for beta cell survival in mice. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:2146-57 pubmed publisher..GLP-1R signaling exerts more robust control of beta cell survival, relative to GIPR activation or dipeptidylpeptidase-4 inhibition in mice in vivo. ..
- Ito S, Greiss S, Gartner A, Derry W. Cell-nonautonomous regulation of C. elegans germ cell death by kri-1. Curr Biol. 2010;20:333-8 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, we find that kri-1 regulates cell death in a cell-nonautonomous manner, revealing a novel regulatory role for nondying cells in eliciting cell death in response to DNA damage. ..
- Truan J, Chen J, Thompson L. Flaxseed oil reduces the growth of human breast tumors (MCF-7) at high levels of circulating estrogen. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010;54:1414-21 pubmed publisher..001). Thus, FSO regressed estrogen receptor-positive human breast tumorigenesis at high E2 levels via downregulation of the growth factor mediated pathway, likely through its ALA content, and may explain the anti-tumorigenicity of FS...
- Jankov R, Lewis P, Kantores C, Ivanovska J, Xu E, van Vliet T, et al. Peroxynitrite mediates right-ventricular dysfunction in nitric oxide-exposed juvenile rats. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;49:1453-67 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the first evidence that iNO may adversely impact the right ventricle through increased local generation of peroxynitrite. ..
- Litvack M, Djiadeu P, Renganathan S, Sy S, Post M, Palaniyar N. Natural IgM and innate immune collectin SP-D bind to late apoptotic cells and enhance their clearance by alveolar macrophages in vivo. Mol Immunol. 2010;48:37-47 pubmed publisher..None of these conditions cause inflammation in the naïve lungs. Therefore, these data suggest that both IgM and SP-D effectively opsonize late apoptotic cells and directly enhance their clearance by alveolar macrophages in the lungs. ..
- Ochotny N, Flenniken A, Owen C, Voronov I, Zirngibl R, Osborne L, et al. The V-ATPase a3 subunit mutation R740S is dominant negative and results in osteopetrosis in mice. J Bone Miner Res. 2011;26:1484-93 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the V(0) complex has proton-pumping-independent functions in mammalian cells...
- Hakem R, de la Pompa J, Sirard C, Mo R, Woo M, Hakem A, et al. The tumor suppressor gene Brca1 is required for embryonic cellular proliferation in the mouse. Cell. 1996;85:1009-23 pubmed..Thus, the death of Brca1(5-6) mutant embryos prior to gastrulation may be due to a failure of the proliferative burst required for the development of the different germ layers. ..
- Hui M, Tenenbaum H, McCulloch C. Collagen phagocytosis and apoptosis are induced by high level alkaline phosphatase expression in rat fibroblasts. J Cell Physiol. 1997;172:323-33 pubmed..High-level AP expression promotes cell deletion by apoptosis. We suggest that the expression of AP by fibroblasts indicates a novel role for this enzyme in collagen degradation by phagocytosis. ..
- Dokouhaki P, Schuh N, Joe B, Allen C, Der S, Tsao M, et al. NKG2D regulates production of soluble TRAIL by ex vivo expanded human ?? T cells. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:3175-82 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that ?? T cells can mediate anticancer immunity via NKG2D-regulated production of sTRAIL. ..
- Lavoie J, Lesauteur L, Kohn J, Wong J, Furtoss O, Thiele C, et al. TrkA induces apoptosis of neuroblastoma cells and does so via a p53-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29199-207 pubmed..These results identify apoptosis as a novel biological response of TrkA in NB cells and imply that TrkA is a good prognosis marker for NB due in part to its ability to mediate apoptosis when expressed at sufficient levels. ..
- Bridgewater D, Cox B, Cain J, Lau A, Athaide V, Gill P, et al. Canonical WNT/beta-catenin signaling is required for ureteric branching. Dev Biol. 2008;317:83-94 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that beta-catenin performs essential functions during renal branching morphogenesis via control of a hierarchy of genes that control ureteric branching. ..
- Lovren F, Pan Y, Quan A, Singh K, Shukla P, Gupta M, et al. Adropin is a novel regulator of endothelial function. Circulation. 2010;122:S185-92 pubmed publisher..Adropin represents a novel target to limit diseases characterized by endothelial dysfunction in addition to its favorable metabolic profile. ..
- Bridgewater D, Di Giovanni V, Cain J, Cox B, Jakobson M, Sainio K, et al. ?-catenin causes renal dysplasia via upregulation of Tgf?2 and Dkk1. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:718-31 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that elevation of ?-catenin levels during kidney development causes dysplasia. ..
- Torkin R, Lavoie J, Kaplan D, Yeger H. Induction of caspase-dependent, p53-mediated apoptosis by apigenin in human neuroblastoma. Mol Cancer Ther. 2005;4:1-11 pubmed..Apigenin is thus a candidate therapeutic for neuroblastoma that likely acts by regulating a p53-Bax-caspase-3 apoptotic pathway. ..
- van Galen P, Kreso A, Mbong N, Kent D, Fitzmaurice T, Chambers J, et al. The unfolded protein response governs integrity of the haematopoietic stem-cell pool during stress. Nature. 2014;510:268-72 pubmed publisher..Broadly, these findings reveal that the HSC pool maintains clonal integrity by clearance of individual HSCs after stress to prevent propagation of damaged stem cells. ..
- Berube C, Boucher L, Ma W, Wakeham A, Salmena L, Hakem R, et al. Apoptosis caused by p53-induced protein with death domain (PIDD) depends on the death adapter protein RAIDD. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:14314-20 pubmed..Our findings suggest that caspase-2 contributes to PIDD-mediated cell death, but that it is not the sole effector of this pathway. ..
- Sheng W, Wang G, Wang Y, Liang J, Wen J, Zheng P, et al. The roles of versican V1 and V2 isoforms in cell proliferation and apoptosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1330-40 pubmed..These results were confirmed by silencing the expression of versican V1 with small interfering RNA (siRNA), which abolished V1-enhanced cell proliferation and V1-induced reduction of apoptosis. ..
- van Tuyl M, Liu J, Groenman F, Ridsdale R, Han R, Venkatesh V, et al. Iroquois genes influence proximo-distal morphogenesis during rat lung development. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006;290:L777-L789 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that Irx genes are involved in the regulation of proximo-distal morphogenesis of the developing lung but are likely not linked to the FGF, BMP, or Shh signaling pathways. ..
- Cheung M, Revers L, Perampalam S, Wei X, Kiarash R, Green D, et al. An evolved ribosome-inactivating protein targets and kills human melanoma cells in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cancer. 2010;9:28 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the evolution of a scRIP template can lead to the discovery of novel cancer cell-targeted compounds and in the case of SLT-1A IYSNKLM can specifically kill human melanoma cells in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Amsen E, Pham N, Pak Y, Rotin D. The guanine nucleotide exchange factor CNrasGEF regulates melanogenesis and cell survival in melanoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:121-8 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that CNrasGEF regulates melanogenesis but that it also has a distinct role in regulating cell proliferation/apoptosis. ..
- Dimaras H, Gallie B. The p75 NTR neurotrophin receptor is a tumor suppressor in human and murine retinoblastoma development. Int J Cancer. 2008;122:2023-9 pubmed publisher..Our results confirm that p75(NTR) suppresses progression of both human and TAg-RB murine retinoblastoma, and holds promise as a target for future therapy of the disease. ..
- Smukler S, Runciman S, Xu S, van der Kooy D. Embryonic stem cells assume a primitive neural stem cell fate in the absence of extrinsic influences. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:79-90 pubmed
- Zhao Y, Lajoie G, Zhang H, Chiu B, Payne U, Inman R. Tumor necrosis factor receptor p55-deficient mice respond to acute Yersinia enterocolitica infection with less apoptosis and more effective host resistance. Infect Immun. 2000;68:1243-51 pubmed
- Crackower M, Motoyama J, Tsui L. Defect in the maintenance of the apical ectodermal ridge in the Dactylaplasia mouse. Dev Biol. 1998;201:78-89 pubmed..Moreover, the data suggest that the role of the AER maintenance factor is to promote cell proliferation in the ridge. Based on our findings, we propose a model for AER maintenance in the vertebrate limb. ..
- Rudolph D, Yeh W, Wakeham A, Rudolph B, Nallainathan D, Potter J, et al. Severe liver degeneration and lack of NF-kappaB activation in NEMO/IKKgamma-deficient mice. Genes Dev. 2000;14:854-62 pubmed..Consistent with these data, mutant MEFs show increased sensitivity to TNFalpha-induced apoptosis. Our data provide in vivo evidence that NEMO/IKKgamma is the first essential, noncatalytic component of the IKK complex. ..
- Connor A, Berger S, Narendran A, Keystone E. Inhibition of protein geranylgeranylation induces apoptosis in synovial fibroblasts. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8:R94 pubmed..The results may also partly explain the therapeutic effect of atorvastatin in patients with RA. ..
- Alajez N, Shi W, Hui A, Yue S, Ng R, Lo K, et al. Targeted depletion of BMI1 sensitizes tumor cells to P53-mediated apoptosis in response to radiation therapy. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:1469-79 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a potential strategy of BMI1 depletion combined with RT for tumors wherein BMI1 appears to be driving disease progression. ..
- Plowright E, Li Z, Bergsagel P, Chesi M, Barber D, Branch D, et al. Ectopic expression of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 promotes myeloma cell proliferation and prevents apoptosis. Blood. 2000;95:992-8 pubmed..These findings provide a rational explanation for the mechanism by which FGFR3 contributes to both the viability and propagation of the myeloma clone and provide a basis for the development of therapies targeting this pathway. ..
- Woo M, Hakem R, Furlonger C, Hakem A, Duncan G, Sasaki T, et al. Caspase-3 regulates cell cycle in B cells: a consequence of substrate specificity. Nat Immunol. 2003;4:1016-22 pubmed..Our genetic and biochemical data demonstrate that caspase-3 is essential in the regulation of B cell homeostasis. ..
- Verma S, Wang C, Li S, Dumont A, Fedak P, Badiwala M, et al. A self-fulfilling prophecy: C-reactive protein attenuates nitric oxide production and inhibits angiogenesis. Circulation. 2002;106:913-9 pubmed..Through decreasing NO synthesis, CRP may facilitate the development of diverse cardiovascular diseases. Risk reduction strategies designed to lower plasma CRP may be effective by improving NO bioavailability. ..
- Sasaki T, Gan E, Wakeham A, Kornbluth S, Mak T, Okada H. HLA-B-associated transcript 3 (Bat3)/Scythe is essential for p300-mediated acetylation of p53. Genes Dev. 2007;21:848-61 pubmed..Our data indicate that Bat3 is a novel and essential regulator of p53-mediated responses to genotoxic stress, and that Bat3 controls DNA damage-induced acetylation of p53. ..
- Nishina H, Vaz C, Billia P, Nghiem M, Sasaki T, de la Pompa J, et al. Defective liver formation and liver cell apoptosis in mice lacking the stress signaling kinase SEK1/MKK4. Development. 1999;126:505-16 pubmed..These results provide the first genetic link between stress-responsive kinases and organogenesis in mammals and indicate that SEK1 provides a crucial and specific survival signal for hepatocytes. ..
- Liu Q, Sasaki T, Kozieradzki I, Wakeham A, Itie A, Dumont D, et al. SHIP is a negative regulator of growth factor receptor-mediated PKB/Akt activation and myeloid cell survival. Genes Dev. 1999;13:786-91 pubmed..These data indicate that SHIP is a negative regulator of growth factor-mediated PKB activation and myeloid cell survival. ..
- Dror Y, Leaker M, Caruana G, Bernstein A, Freedman M. Mastocytosis cells bearing a c-kit activating point mutation are characterized by hypersensitivity to stem cell factor and increased apoptosis. Br J Haematol. 2000;108:729-36 pubmed..Increased apoptosis and cluster formation, consistent with the myelodysplastic nature of the disorder, accompanied accumulation of abnormal cells with increasing concentrations of SCF...
- Boehmelt G, Wakeham A, Elia A, Sasaki T, Plyte S, Potter J, et al. Decreased UDP-GlcNAc levels abrogate proliferation control in EMeg32-deficient cells. EMBO J. 2000;19:5092-104 pubmed..Interestingly, growth-impaired EMeg32(-/-) MEFs withstand a number of apoptotic stimuli and express activated PKB/AKT. Thus, EMeg32-dependent UDP-GlcNAc levels influence cell cycle progression and susceptibility to apoptotic stimuli. ..
- Lee F, Xue S, Pei L, Vukusic B, Chery N, Wang Y, et al. Dual regulation of NMDA receptor functions by direct protein-protein interactions with the dopamine D1 receptor. Cell. 2002;111:219-30 pubmed..While one interaction is involved in the inhibition of NMDA receptor-gated currents, the other is implicated in the attenuation of NMDA receptor-mediated excitotoxicity through a PI-3 kinase-dependent pathway. ..
- Konecny F, Zou J, Husain M, von Harsdorf R. Post-myocardial infarct p27 fusion protein intravenous delivery averts adverse remodelling and improves heart function and survival in rodents. Cardiovasc Res. 2012;94:492-500 pubmed publisher..These gain- and loss-of-function studies reveal a critical role for p27 in cardiac remodelling post-MI. ..
- Wang L, Kinnear C, Hammel J, Zhu W, Hua Z, Mi W, et al. Preservation of mitochondrial structure and function after cardioplegic arrest in the neonate using a selective mitochondrial KATP channel opener. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;81:1817-23 pubmed..The mitochondrial-protective effects of diazoxide may contribute to improved postoperative myocardial function in the neonate. ..