Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Publications748 found, 100 shown here
- Khanna R, Li Q, Schlichter L, Stanley E. The transmitter release-site CaV2.2 channel cluster is linked to an endocytosis coat protein complex. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26:560-74 pubmed..The most probable role of this subcomplex is to facilitate SV recovery after transmitter release. ..
- Vu V, Riddell M, Sweeney G. Circulating adiponectin and adiponectin receptor expression in skeletal muscle: effects of exercise. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2007;23:600-11 pubmed..In this review, we have summarized the key findings to date which suggest that changes in expression of AdipoR isoforms in skeletal muscle, rather than circulating total adiponectin levels, may be of physiological importance. ..
- Schillaci M, Jones Engel L, Engel G, Fuentes A. Characterizing the threat to the blood supply associated with nonoccupational exposure to emerging simian retroviruses. Transfusion. 2008;48:398-401 pubmed
- Glinka Y, Prud homme G. Neuropilin-1 is a receptor for transforming growth factor beta-1, activates its latent form, and promotes regulatory T cell activity. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:302-10 pubmed publisher..Breast cancer cells, which express Nrp1, also captured and activated LAP-TGF-beta1 in a Nrp1-dependent manner. Thus, Nrp1 is a receptor for TGF-beta1, activates its latent form, and is relevant to Tr activity and tumor biology. ..
- Wasmuth J, Daub J, Peregrín Alvarez J, Finney C, Parkinson J. The origins of apicomplexan sequence innovation. Genome Res. 2009;19:1202-13 pubmed publisher..Protein domain searches revealed 192 domains not previously reported in apicomplexans together with a number of novel domain combinations. We highlight domains that may be important to parasite survival. ..
- Jaffer S, Shynlova O, Lye S. Mammalian target of rapamycin is activated in association with myometrial proliferation during pregnancy. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4672-80 pubmed publisher..Our in vivo data demonstrate that estradiol was able to activate the PI3K/mTOR signaling pathway in uterine myocytes and suggest that this activation is responsible for the induction of myometrial hyperplasia during early gestation. ..
- Doulatov S, Notta F, Eppert K, Nguyen L, Ohashi P, Dick J. Revised map of the human progenitor hierarchy shows the origin of macrophages and dendritic cells in early lymphoid development. Nat Immunol. 2010;11:585-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, as in the mouse, human hematopoiesis does not follow a rigid model of myeloid-lymphoid segregation. ..
- Li C, Gotlieb A. Transforming growth factor-? regulates the growth of valve interstitial cells in vitro. Am J Pathol. 2011;179:1746-55 pubmed publisher..TGF-? prevents excessive heart valve growth under normal physiological conditions while it promotes cell proliferation in the early stages of repair, when increased VICs are required...
- Zahedi P, Stewart J, De Souza R, Piquette Miller M, Allen C. An injectable depot system for sustained intraperitoneal chemotherapy of ovarian cancer results in favorable drug distribution at the whole body, peritoneal and intratumoral levels. J Control Release. 2012;158:379-85 pubmed publisher..These results encourage the clinical use of IP sustained chemotherapy for ovarian cancer. ..
- Forster K, Goethel A, Chan C, Zanello G, Streutker C, Croitoru K. An oral CD3-specific antibody suppresses T-cell-induced colitis and alters cytokine responses to T-cell activation in mice. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:1298-1307 pubmed publisher..Oral anti-CD3 therefore might be developed for the treatment of patients with inflammatory bowel disease. ..
- Stanley C, MacPherson M, Fraser K, McKinnon E, Stutchbury B. Repeat tracking of individual songbirds reveals consistent migration timing but flexibility in route. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40688 pubmed publisher..Our results provide novel evidence of low phenotypic plasticity in timing of spring migration, which may limit the ability of individuals to adjust migration schedules in response to climate change...
- Shah D, Mohtashami M, Zuniga Pflucker J. Role of recycling, Mindbomb1 association, and exclusion from lipid rafts of ?-like 4 for effective Notch signaling to drive T cell development. J Immunol. 2012;189:5797-808 pubmed publisher..Taken together, in contrast to Dll1, Dll4 does not localize to lipid rafts and shows stronger association with Mib1 and increased Notch1 uptake, which likely account for its superior ability to induce T cell development. ..
- Mann I, Chatterjee R, Zhao J, He X, Weirauch M, Hughes T, et al. CG methylated microarrays identify a novel methylated sequence bound by the CEBPB|ATF4 heterodimer that is active in vivo. Genome Res. 2013;23:988-97 pubmed publisher..This methodology can be used to identify new methylated DNA sequences preferentially bound by TFs, which may be functional in vivo. ..
- Lee F, Zai C, Cordes S, Roder J, Wong A. Abnormal interneuron development in disrupted-in-schizophrenia-1 L100P mutant mice. Mol Brain. 2013;6:20 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings provide further evidence that DISC1 participates in interneuron development and add to our understanding of how DISC1 variants can affect susceptibility to psychiatric illness. ..
- McFadden S, Menchella J, Chalmers J, Centeno M, Belsham D. Glucose responsiveness in a novel adult-derived GnRH cell line, mHypoA-GnRH/GFP: involvement of AMP-activated protein kinase. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2013;377:65-74 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings demonstrate that glucose can directly regulate GnRH transcription, while implicating the AMPK pathway as an essential mediator of nutritional signaling in a novel GnRH neuronal cell model. ..
- Chang Q, Chandrashekhar M, Ketela T, Fedyshyn Y, Moffat J, Hedley D. Cytokinetic effects of Wee1 disruption in pancreatic cancer. Cell Cycle. 2016;15:593-604 pubmed publisher..These findings support G2 exit as the more significant effect of Wee1 inhibition in pancreatic cancers. ..
- Stokman G, Kors L, Bakker P, Rampanelli E, Claessen N, Teske G, et al. NLRX1 dampens oxidative stress and apoptosis in tissue injury via control of mitochondrial activity. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2405-2420 pubmed publisher..Although first implicated in immune regulation, we propose that NLRX1 function extends to the control of mitochondrial activity and prevention of oxidative stress and apoptosis in tissue injury. ..
- Taylor R, Garcia Heras J, Sadler S, Lafreniere R, Willard H, Ledbetter D, et al. Localization of histidase to human chromosome region 12q22----q24.1 and mouse chromosome region 10C2----D1. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1991;56:178-81 pubmed
- van der Geer P, Wiley S, Gish G, Pawson T. The Shc adaptor protein is highly phosphorylated at conserved, twin tyrosine residues (Y239/240) that mediate protein-protein interactions. Curr Biol. 1996;6:1435-44 pubmed..We propose that distinct Shc phosphorylation isomers from different signalling complexes and thereby activate separate downstream signalling cascades. ..
- Yankulov K, Bentley D. Transcriptional control: Tat cofactors and transcriptional elongation. Curr Biol. 1998;8:R447-9 pubmed..Recent results show that two cellular cyclin-dependent kinases, which phosphorylate the carboxy-terminal domain of the RNA polymerase II large subunit, contact Tat and contribute to the control of transcriptional elongation. ..
- Hou Y, McInnes B, Hinek A, Karpati G, Mahuran D. A Pro504 --> Ser substitution in the beta-subunit of beta-hexosaminidase A inhibits alpha-subunit hydrolysis of GM2 ganglioside, resulting in chronic Sandhoff disease. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:21386-92 pubmed..The effect of the mutation on ganglioside hydrolysis, combined with its effect on intracellular transport, produces chronic Sandhoff disease...
- Park P, Sum C, Pawagi A, Wells J. Cooperativity and oligomeric status of cardiac muscarinic cholinergic receptors. Biochemistry. 2002;41:5588-604 pubmed..The M(2) muscarinic receptor therefore appears to comprise at least four interacting sites, presumably within a tetramer or larger array, and ligands appear to bind in a cooperative manner under at least some conditions. ..
- Chan A, Thorner P, Squire J, Zielenska M. Identification of a novel gene NCRMS on chromosome 12q21 with differential expression between rhabdomyosarcoma subtypes. Oncogene. 2002;21:3029-37 pubmed..Known genes in its proximity include myogenic regulators Myf5 and Myf6, growth factor Igf1, and another potential differentially expressed gene (ATP2B1) in RMS isolated by RDA. ..
- Brade A, Szmitko P, Ngo D, Liu F, Klamut H. Heat-directed tumor cell fusion. Hum Gene Ther. 2003;14:447-61 pubmed..Heat-directed tumor cell fusion may prove to be a highly beneficial adjunct to existing cancer treatment strategies that take advantage of the synergistic interaction between mild hyperthermia and radiation or chemotherapeutic drugs...
- Klier E, Wang H, Crawford J. Three-dimensional eye-head coordination is implemented downstream from the superior colliculus. J Neurophysiol. 2003;89:2839-53 pubmed..Thus we conclude that Listing's and Donders' laws of the eyes and head, and their three-dimensional coordination mechanisms, must be implemented after the SC. ..
- Bertram E, Dawicki W, Sedgmen B, Bramson J, Lynch D, Watts T. A switch in costimulation from CD28 to 4-1BB during primary versus secondary CD8 T cell response to influenza in vivo. J Immunol. 2004;172:981-8 pubmed..The results indicate that anti-4-1BB or 4-1BBL therapy will be most effective during the boost phase of a prime-boost vaccination strategy. ..
- Koehler A, Romans P, Desser S, Ringuette M. Encapsulation of Myxobolus pendula (Myxosporidia) by epithelioid cells of its cyprinid host Semotilus atromaculatus. J Parasitol. 2004;90:1401-5 pubmed..The granuloma may serve to limit the spread of the parasite to surrounding tissues but does not appear to inhibit diffusion of oxygen and nutrients to the developing spores. ..
- Liadis N, Murakami K, Eweida M, Elford A, Sheu L, Gaisano H, et al. Caspase-3-dependent beta-cell apoptosis in the initiation of autoimmune diabetes mellitus. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3620-9 pubmed..Together, our findings demonstrate that caspase-3-mediated beta-cell apoptosis is a requisite step for T-cell priming, a key initiating event in type 1 diabetes. ..
- Szaszi K, Sirokmány G, Di Ciano Oliveira C, Rotstein O, Kapus A. Depolarization induces Rho-Rho kinase-mediated myosin light chain phosphorylation in kidney tubular cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2005;289:C673-85 pubmed..This pathway may be a central mechanism whereby electrogenic transmembrane transport processes control myosin phosphorylation and thereby regulate paracellular transport. ..
- Aleksa K, Halachmi N, Ito S, Koren G. A tubule cell model for ifosfamide nephrotoxicity. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005;83:499-508 pubmed..Glutathione is a major defence mechanism against IF toxicity, thus pharmacological methods for replenishing intracellular glutathione may be effective in modulating IF-induced nephrotoxicity. ..
- Ljubicic V, Adhihetty P, Hood D. Application of animal models: chronic electrical stimulation-induced contractile activity. Can J Appl Physiol. 2005;30:625-43 pubmed..Thus the CLFS technique has great value for studying various aspects of muscle adaptation, and its wider scientific application to a variety of neuromuscular-based disorders in humans appears to be warranted. ..
- Trivieri M, Oudit G, Sah R, Kerfant B, Sun H, Gramolini A, et al. Cardiac-specific elevations in thyroid hormone enhance contractility and prevent pressure overload-induced cardiac dysfunction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:6043-8 pubmed..Our results establish that elevated D2 activity in the heart increases T3 levels and enhances cardiac contractile function while preventing deterioration of cardiac function and altered gene expression after pressure overload. ..
- Pereira S, Johnson K, Clayton D, Baker A. Mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequences support a Cretaceous origin of Columbiformes and a dispersal-driven radiation in the Paleocene . Syst Biol. 2007;56:656-72 pubmed..Multiple dispersals of more derived Columbiformes between Australasian and Afro-Eurasian regions are required to explain current distributions...
- Fawcett J, Georgiou J, Ruston J, Bladt F, Sherman A, Warner N, et al. Nck adaptor proteins control the organization of neuronal circuits important for walking. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:20973-8 pubmed..Our data indicate that Nck adaptors couple pTyr guidance signals to cytoskeletal events required for the ipsilateral projections of spinal cord neurons and thus for normal limb movement. ..
- Maekawa Y, Mizue N, Chan A, Shi Y, Liu Y, Dawood S, et al. Survival and cardiac remodeling after myocardial infarction are critically dependent on the host innate immune interleukin-1 receptor-associated kinase-4 signaling: a regulator of bone marrow-derived dendritic cells. Circulation. 2009;120:1401-14 pubmed publisher
- Barr T, McNamara A, Sandor G, Clokie C, Peel S. Comparison of the osteoinductivity of bioimplants containing recombinant human bone morphogenetic proteins 2 (Infuse) and 7 (OP-1). Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010;109:531-40 pubmed publisher..In their clinically available forms, the rhBMP-7-containing OP-1 induced greater bone volume than the rhBMP-2-containing Infuse in the mouse muscle pouch model. ..
- Harris T, Tepass U. Adherens junctions: from molecules to morphogenesis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2010;11:502-14 pubmed publisher..As a result, we have gained important insights into the molecular mechanisms of tissue morphogenesis. ..
- Hatta K, Carter A, Chen Z, Leno Durán E, Ruiz Ruiz C, Olivares E, et al. Expression of the vasoactive proteins AT1, AT2, and ANP by pregnancy-induced mouse uterine natural killer cells. Reprod Sci. 2011;18:383-90 pubmed publisher..Expression of these molecules suggests that uNK cells have the potential to contribute to the changes in blood pressure that occur between days 5 and 12 of pregnancy in mice. ..
- Prud homme G, Glinka Y, Toulina A, Ace O, Subramaniam V, Jothy S. Breast cancer stem-like cells are inhibited by a non-toxic aryl hydrocarbon receptor agonist. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13831 pubmed publisher..It is effective against CSCs of triple-negative breast cancer cells selected for anti-cancer drug resistance. These results suggest it might find applications in the treatment of breast cancer. ..
- Fan X, Mothe A, Tator C. Ephrin-B3 decreases the survival of adult rat spinal cord-derived neural stem/progenitor cells in vitro and after transplantation into the injured rat spinal cord. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:359-73 pubmed publisher..001). Thus, after SCI, ephrin-B3-Fc and Fc fragments are toxic to transplanted NSPC. ..
- Shih S, Barbulovic Nad I, Yang X, Fobel R, Wheeler A. Digital microfluidics with impedance sensing for integrated cell culture and analysis. Biosens Bioelectron. 2013;42:314-20 pubmed publisher..We propose that this system will be useful for the growing number of scientists who are seeking methods other than fluorescence or cell sorting to analyze adherent cells in situ. ..
- Bramall A, Szego M, Pacione L, Chang I, Diez E, D Orléans Juste P, et al. Endothelin-2-mediated protection of mutant photoreceptors in inherited photoreceptor degeneration. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58023 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that the increased expression of PR Edn2 increases PR survival, and suggest that the Edn2-dependent increase in PR expression of FGF2 may contribute to the augmented survival. ..
- Tsai I, Zarowiecki M, Holroyd N, Garciarrubio A, Sanchez Flores A, Brooks K, et al. The genomes of four tapeworm species reveal adaptations to parasitism. Nature. 2013;496:57-63 pubmed publisher..We identify new potential drug targets, including some on which existing pharmaceuticals may act. The genomes provide a rich resource to underpin the development of urgently needed treatments and control...
- Fang F, Liu G, Zhou X, Yang S, Reich H, Williams V, et al. Loss of ACE2 exacerbates murine renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71433 pubmed publisher..Changes in inflammatory cell infiltrates and cytokine expression were also associated with greater apoptosis and oxidative stress in ACE2 KO mice compared to WT mice. These data demonstrate a protective effect of ACE2 in I/R AKI. ..
- Douen A, Burdett E, Ramlal T, Rastogi S, Vranic M, Klip A. Characterization of glucose transporter-enriched membranes from rat skeletal muscle: assessment of endothelial cell contamination and presence of sarcoplasmic reticulum and transverse tubules. Endocrinology. 1991;128:611-6 pubmed..The results further show that insulin-induced recruitment of GLUT-4 transporters in skeletal muscles can be demonstrated independently of GLUT-4 recruitment in endothelial cells. ..
- Letwin K, Yee S, Pawson T. Novel protein-tyrosine kinase cDNAs related to fps/fes and eph cloned using anti-phosphotyrosine antibody. Oncogene. 1988;3:621-7 pubmed..The preferential isolation of cDNAs for previously uncharacterized protein-tyrosine kinases in a screen based on catalytic activity suggests that additional members of the protein-tyrosine kinase family remain to be identified. ..
- Nouraini S, Archambault J, Friesen J. Rpo26p, a subunit common to yeast RNA polymerases, is essential for the assembly of RNA polymerases I and II and for the stability of the largest subunits of these enzymes. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:5985-96 pubmed..Furthermore, A190p and Rpo21p continued to accumulate at low levels under these conditions. We suggest that Rpo26p is essential for the assembly of RNAPI and RNAPII and for the stability of the largest subunits of these enzymes. ..
- Fadiel A, Lithwick S, Wanas M, Cuticchia A. Influence of intercodon and base frequencies on codon usage in filarial parasites. Genomics. 2001;74:197-210 pubmed..Since all of these sequence biases were observed in a relatively consistent fashion among all of the organisms studied, we conclude that sequence bias is a genetic characteristic, which is associated with multiple filarial genera...
- Langer J. Abdominal wall defects. World J Surg. 2003;27:117-24 pubmed..Delivery at a high-risk perinatal center should be encouraged. Currently, there is no convincing evidence to support routine cesarean section for most abdominal wall defects. ..
- Rotzinger S, Vaccarino F. Cholecystokinin receptor subtypes: role in the modulation of anxiety-related and reward-related behaviours in animal models. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2003;28:171-81 pubmed..Emphasis is placed upon the role of CCK as a neuromodulator that is recruited only under conditions of high frequency neuronal firing. ..
- Koren G, Matsui D, Bailey B. DEET-based insect repellents: safety implications for children and pregnant and lactating women. CMAJ. 2003;169:209-12 pubmed..In this article, we review the available evidence on the effectiveness and safety of DEET-based products. The evidence does not support increased risk in young children...
- Von Both I, Silvestri C, Erdemir T, Lickert H, Walls J, Henkelman R, et al. Foxh1 is essential for development of the anterior heart field. Dev Cell. 2004;7:331-45 pubmed..Thus, Foxh1 and Nkx2-5 functionally interact and are essential for development of the AHF and its derivatives, the RV and OFT, in response to TGFbeta-like signals. ..
- Dworkin I. A study of canalization and developmental stability in the sternopleural bristle system of Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution. 2005;59:1500-9 pubmed..However, there is evidence for a relationship between at least one form of canalization and developmental stability. ..
- Crimi E, Zhang H, Han R, Del Sorbo L, Ranieri V, Slutsky A. Ischemia and reperfusion increases susceptibility to ventilator-induced lung injury in rats. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:178-86 pubmed..HSR priming renders the lung and kidney more susceptible to mechanical ventilation-induced organ injury. ..
- Wolting C, McGlade C, Tritchler D. Cluster analysis of protein array results via similarity of Gene Ontology annotation. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:338 pubmed..In an era of increasingly complex datasets, such tools will help in the formulation of new, testable hypotheses from high-throughput experimental data. ..
- McCarthy D, Chiu S, Gao Y, Summers DeLuca L, Gommerman J. BAFF induces a hyper-IgA syndrome in the intestinal lamina propria concomitant with IgA deposition in the kidney independent of LIGHT. Cell Immunol. 2006;241:85-94 pubmed..Therefore, in the context of BAFF over-expression, LIGHT is dispensable for the generation of a hyper-IgA syndrome accompanied by nephritis. ..
- Ho E, Piquette Miller M. KLF6 and HSF4 transcriptionally regulate multidrug resistance transporters during inflammation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;353:679-85 pubmed..In summary, KLF6 and HSF4 are stimuli-specific regulatory elements which may be important in the control of the rat mdr1b and mrp3 genes during health and disease. ..
- Mak T. The T cell antigen receptor: "The Hunting of the Snark". Eur J Immunol. 2007;37 Suppl 1:S83-93 pubmed..Here, I briefly discuss how the knowledge generated from our discovery has been applied to basic and clinical immunology, and where it might take us in the future. ..
- Wu L, Ren M, Wang H, Kim S, Cao X, Zhuo M. Neurabin contributes to hippocampal long-term potentiation and contextual fear memory. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1407 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that neurabin regulates contextual fear memory and LTP in hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons. ..
- Walls J, Coultas L, Rossant J, Henkelman R. Three-dimensional analysis of vascular development in the mouse embryo. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2853 pubmed publisher..0 and E10.0. This atlas is freely available at http://www.mouseimaging.ca/research/mouse_atlas.html and will serve as a platform to provide insight into normal and abnormal vascular development. ..
- Sun H, Jackson M, Martin L, Jansen K, Teves L, Cui H, et al. Suppression of hippocampal TRPM7 protein prevents delayed neuronal death in brain ischemia. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1300-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, regional suppression of TRPM7 is feasible, well tolerated and inhibits delayed neuronal death in vivo. ..
- Bazinet R. Is the brain arachidonic acid cascade a common target of drugs used to manage bipolar disorder?. Biochem Soc Trans. 2009;37:1104-9 pubmed publisher..Future basic and clinical studies on the arachidonic acid hypothesis of bipolar disorder are warranted. ..
- D eon J, Mabury S. Uptake and elimination of perfluorinated phosphonic acids in the rat. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2010;29:1319-29 pubmed publisher..The biological fate of the mono-PFPAs and di-PFPAs determined here suggest there is the potential for human exposure and that if exposure does occur, they may be long-lived in the body. ..
- Toyoda H, Zhao M, Mercaldo V, Chen T, Descalzi G, Kida S, et al. Calcium/calmodulin-dependent kinase IV contributes to translation-dependent early synaptic potentiation in the anterior cingulate cortex of adult mice. Mol Brain. 2010;3:27 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal in the first time a transcription- and translation-dependent component of early synaptic LTP in adult ACC synapses, and demonstrate that CaMKIV enhances early synaptic potentiation by activating new protein synthesis. ..
- Heddle J, Fenech M, Hayashi M, Macgregor J. Reflections on the development of micronucleus assays. Mutagenesis. 2011;26:3-10 pubmed publisher..Although this is by no means a complete history, those working in the field may be interested in some of the personal events that lie behind the development and acceptance of methods that are now standard. ..
- Redington K, Disenhouse T, Strantzas S, Gladstone R, Wei C, Tropak M, et al. Remote cardioprotection by direct peripheral nerve stimulation and topical capsaicin is mediated by circulating humoral factors. Basic Res Cardiol. 2012;107:241 pubmed publisher..Direct electrical or peripheral neural stimulation evokes the release of cardioprotective substances into the bloodstream, with comparable effects to that of rIPC induced by limb ischemia. ..
- Sarpal R, Pellikka M, Patel R, Hui F, Godt D, Tepass U. Mutational analysis supports a core role for Drosophila ?-catenin in adherens junction function. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:233-45 pubmed publisher..We also show that the ?-Cat mutant phenotype can be rescued by the expression of a DE-cadherin::?-Catenin fusion protein, which argues against an essential cytosolic, cadherin-independent role of Drosophila ?-Catenin. ..
- Capurro M, Shi W, Filmus J. LRP1 mediates Hedgehog-induced endocytosis of the GPC3-Hedgehog complex. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3380-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that GPC3 binds through its HS chains to LRP1, and that this interaction causes the removal of GPC3 from the lipid rafts domains. ..
- Cui X, Zhang H, Palazzo A. p180 promotes the ribosome-independent localization of a subset of mRNA to the endoplasmic reticulum. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001336 pubmed publisher..It is likely that this alternative pathway not only enhances the fidelity of protein sorting, but also localizes mRNAs to various subdomains of the ER and thus contributes to cellular organization. ..
- Miksys S, Cappendijk S, Perry W, Zhao B, Tyndale R. Nicotine kinetics in zebra finches in vivo and in vitro. Drug Metab Dispos. 2013;41:1240-6 pubmed publisher..52; P = 0.04) and bupropion metabolism (r = 0.81; P < 0.001), suggesting CYP2B-mediation of nicotine metabolism as seen in rats. These results will facilitate further investigation of nicotine's effects in zebra finches. ..
- Pinto V, Senini V, Wang Y, Kazembe M, McCulloch C. Filamin A protects cells against force-induced apoptosis by stabilizing talin- and vinculin-containing cell adhesions. FASEB J. 2014;28:453-63 pubmed publisher..We conclude that FLNa protects against apoptosis in force-loaded cells, and this protection is mediated by enhanced formation and maturation of matrix adhesions. ..
- Moradi Kalbolandi S, Davani D, Golkar M, Habibi Anbouhi M, Abolhassani M, Shokrgozar M. Soluble Expression and Characterization of a New scFv Directed to Human CD123. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2016;178:1390-406 pubmed publisher..Our work, therefore, provides a framework for future studies involving biological functions and applications of our anti-CD123 scFv. It also reveals the feasibility of high throughput methods to isolate biomarker-specific scFvs. ..
- Tech K, Tikunov A, Farooq H, Morrissy A, Meidinger J, Fish T, et al. Pyruvate Kinase Inhibits Proliferation during Postnatal Cerebellar Neurogenesis and Suppresses Medulloblastoma Formation. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3217-3230 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(12); 3217-30. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Leung Hagesteijn C, Spence A, Stern B, Zhou Y, Su M, Hedgecock E, et al. UNC-5, a transmembrane protein with immunoglobulin and thrombospondin type 1 domains, guides cell and pioneer axon migrations in C. elegans. Cell. 1992;71:289-99 pubmed..Mosaic analysis shows that unc-5 acts in migrating cells and pioneering neurons. We propose that UNC-5 is a transmembrane receptor expressed on the surface of motile cells and growth cones to guide dorsal movements. ..
- Pawson T. Signal transduction in the control of cell growth and development. Trends Genet. 1991;7:343-5 pubmed
- Bagby S, Harvey T, Eagle S, Inouye S, Ikura M. NMR-derived three-dimensional solution structure of protein S complexed with calcium. Structure. 1994;2:107-22 pubmed..This structural analysis may also have implications for Ca(2+)-dependent cell-cell interactions mediated by the vertebrate cadherins and Dictyostelium discoideum protein gp24. ..
- Yang Q, O Hanlon D, Heizmann C, Marks A. Demonstration of heterodimer formation between S100B and S100A6 in the yeast two-hybrid system and human melanoma. Exp Cell Res. 1999;246:501-9 pubmed..The demonstration of an association and colocalization of S100B and S100A6 in melanoma supports the possibility that an S100B/S100A6 heterodimer plays a functional role in these cells. ..
- Beites C, Xie H, Bowser R, Trimble W. The septin CDCrel-1 binds syntaxin and inhibits exocytosis. Nat Neurosci. 1999;2:434-9 pubmed..Transfection of HIT-T15 cells with wild-type CDCrel-1 inhibited secretion, whereas GTPase dominant-negative mutants enhanced secretion. These data suggest that septins may regulate vesicle dynamics through interactions with syntaxin. ..
- Kong Y, Feige U, Sarosi I, Bolon B, Tafuri A, Morony S, et al. Activated T cells regulate bone loss and joint destruction in adjuvant arthritis through osteoprotegerin ligand. Nature. 1999;402:304-9 pubmed..These results show that both systemic and local T-cell activation can lead to OPGL production and subsequent bone loss, and they provide a novel paradigm for T cells as regulators of bone physiology. ..
- Vukovic V, Nicklee T, Hedley D. Differential effects of buthionine sulphoximine in hypoxic and non-hypoxic regions of human cervical carcinoma xenografts. Radiother Oncol. 2001;60:69-73 pubmed..BSO effectively depletes GSH in hypoxic microregions of tumors. These findings suggest a potential role for BSO as an adjunct to radiotherapy in cervical cancer patients. ..
- Winer S, Astsaturov I, Gaedigk R, Hammond McKibben D, Pilon M, Song A, et al. ICA69(null) nonobese diabetic mice develop diabetes, but resist disease acceleration by cyclophosphamide. J Immunol. 2002;168:475-82 pubmed..CY-accelerated diabetes involves not only ablation of lymphoid cells, but ICA69-dependent drug toxicity in beta cells that boosts autoreactivity in the regenerating lymphoid system. ..
- Ljutic B, Carlyle J, Zuniga Pflucker J. Identification of upstream cis-acting regulatory elements controlling lineage-specific expression of the mouse NK cell activation receptor, NKR-P1C. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:31909-17 pubmed..These results identify the minimal upstream cis-acting elements, and point to a complex regulatory mechanism involved in the lineage-specific control of NKR-P1C expression in NK lymphocytes. ..
- Flock G, Cao X, Drucker D. Pdx-1 is not sufficient for repression of proglucagon gene transcription in islet or enteroendocrine cells. Endocrinology. 2005;146:441-9 pubmed..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that pdx-1 alone is not sufficient for specification of the hormonal phenotype or extinction of proglucagon gene expression in islet or enteroendocrine cells. ..
- Stephenson R. Physiological control of diving behaviour in the Weddell seal Leptonychotes weddelli: a model based on cardiorespiratory control theory. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1971-91 pubmed..It is likely that respiratory mechanisms are an important component of a hierarchical behavioural control system and further studies are required to test the qualitative and quantitative validity of the model. ..
- Ing B, Shteiman Kotler A, Castelli M, Henry P, Pak Y, Stewart B, et al. Regulation of Commissureless by the ubiquitin ligase DNedd4 is required for neuromuscular synaptogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:481-96 pubmed..These results demonstrate that dNedd4 and ubiquitination are required for Commissureless endocytosis and proper neuromuscular synaptogenesis. ..
- Waters A, Wu M, Onay T, Scutaru J, Liu J, Lobe C, et al. Ectopic notch activation in developing podocytes causes glomerulosclerosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:1139-57 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Notch signaling is dispensable during terminal differentiation of podocytes but that constitutive (or inappropriate) Notch signaling is deleterious, leading to glomerulosclerosis. ..
- Bronte Tinkew D, Terebiznik M, Franco A, Ang M, Ahn D, Mimuro H, et al. Helicobacter pylori cytotoxin-associated gene A activates the signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 pathway in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res. 2009;69:632-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that H. pylori CagA activates the STAT3 signaling pathway in vitro and in vivo, providing a potential mechanism by which chronic H. pylori infection promotes the development of gastric cancer. ..
- Serghides L, Patel S, Ayi K, Lu Z, Gowda D, Liles W, et al. Rosiglitazone modulates the innate immune response to Plasmodium falciparum infection and improves outcome in experimental cerebral malaria. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:1536-45 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PPARgamma agonists represent a novel class of host immunomodulatory drugs that may be useful for treatment of severe malaria syndromes...
- Raju D, Jones N. Methods to monitor autophagy in H. pylori vacuolating cytotoxin A (VacA)-treated cells. Autophagy. 2010;6:138-43 pubmed..pylori infection and VacA intoxication. In this paper, we describe the various methods and specific protocols used for the assessment and monitoring of autophagy during H. pylori infection. ..