Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in London, Ontario, Canada
Locale: London, Ontario, Canada
Publications281 found, 100 shown here
- Carnevale J, Palander O, Seifried L, Dick F. DNA damage signals through differentially modified E2F1 molecules to induce apoptosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:900-12 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that DNA damage signals alter pRB and E2F1 to engage them in functions leading to apoptotic induction that are distinct from pRB-E2F regulation in cell cycle control. ..
- McErlain D, Ulici V, Darling M, Gati J, Pitelka V, Beier F, et al. An in vivo investigation of the initiation and progression of subchondral cysts in a rodent model of secondary osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14:R26 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggest these lesions can be more accurately described as a form of OA-induced osteonecrosis, rather than 'subchondral cysts'. ..
- Tolman J, Valvano M. Global changes in gene expression by the opportunistic pathogen Burkholderia cenocepacia in response to internalization by murine macrophages. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:63 pubmed publisher..Further investigation into the remaining SCOTS-identified genes will provide a more complete picture of the adaptive response of B. cenocepacia to the host cell environment. ..
- Cuddy L, Winick Ng W, Rylett R. Regulation of the high-affinity choline transporter activity and trafficking by its association with cholesterol-rich lipid rafts. J Neurochem. 2014;128:725-40 pubmed publisher..CHT association with cholesterol-rich rafts is critical for its function, and alterations in plasma membrane cholesterol could diminish cholinergic transmission by reducing choline availability for acetylcholine synthesis. ..
- Thorn M, Morbey Y. Evidence for the secondary sexual development of the anal fin in female kokanee salmon Oncorhynchus nerka. J Fish Biol. 2016;88:448-58 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to show that the anal fin of female salmonids undergoes secondary sexual development. ..
- Yang A, Daya T, Carlton K, Yan J, Schmid S. Differential effect of clomipramine on habituation and prepulse inhibition in dominant versus subordinate rats. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2016;26:591-601 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the social status of an animal, and therefore the basic anxiety/stress level determines whether or not clomipramine has a beneficial effect on sensorimotor gating and discuss possible underlying mechanisms. ..
- Kavaliers M, Wiebe J, Galea L. Male preference for the odors of estrous female mice is enhanced by the neurosteroid 3 alpha-hydroxy-4-pregnen-20-one (3 alpha HP). Brain Res. 1994;646:140-4 pubmed..These results suggest that the neurosteroid 3 alpha HP has facilitatory effects on olfactory mediated male sexual interest or motivation that involve interactions with the GABAA receptor. ..
- Nanjundan M, Possmayer F. Molecular cloning and expression of pulmonary lipid phosphate phosphohydrolases. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;281:L1484-93 pubmed..Transient mammalian expression of LPP1b failed to increase phosphatidate phosphohydrolase activity in HEK 293 cells...
- Bao F, Dekaban G, Weaver L. Anti-CD11d antibody treatment reduces free radical formation and cell death in the injured spinal cord of rats. J Neurochem. 2005;94:1361-73 pubmed..These effects likely underlie tissue preservation and improved neurological function that result from the mAb treatment. ..
- Elsley J, Nagy B, Cushing S, Corneil B. Widespread presaccadic recruitment of neck muscles by stimulation of the primate frontal eye fields. J Neurophysiol. 2007;98:1333-54 pubmed
- Bell C, Watson A. SNAI1 and SNAI2 are asymmetrically expressed at the 2-cell stage and become segregated to the TE in the mouse blastocyst. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8530 pubmed publisher..This study implicates SNAI1 and SNAI2 in the lineage segregation of the trophectoderm and inner cell mass, and provides new insight into these oncogenes. ..
- Turowec J, Duncan J, French A, Gyenis L, St Denis N, Vilk G, et al. Protein kinase CK2 is a constitutively active enzyme that promotes cell survival: strategies to identify CK2 substrates and manipulate its activity in mammalian cells. Methods Enzymol. 2010;484:471-93 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the methods that are presented in this chapter should enable the identification and characterization of CK2 substrates and CK2-regulated processes both in vitro and in living cells. ..
- Martins A, Spanton S, Sheikh H, Kim S. The anti-inflammatory role of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in macrophage-dendritic cell crosstalk after Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 exposure. J Leukoc Biol. 2011;89:907-15 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results suggest that G-CSF modulates the IL-12/23 p40 response of DCs in the context of the probiotic GR-1 through M?-DC crosstalk. ..
- Keen A, Frasch M, Sheehan M, Matushewski B, Richardson B. Maturational changes and effects of chronic hypoxemia on electrocortical activity in the ovine fetus. Brain Res. 2011;1402:38-45 pubmed publisher..This may then have consequences for disturbed sleep-wake patterns during later life and for adverse neurologic sequelae known to be increased in humans born with growth restriction. ..
- Fraser E, McGuire L, Eger J, Longstaffe F, Fenton M. Evidence of latitudinal migration in tri-colored bats, Perimyotis subflavus. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31419 pubmed publisher..Fur Î´D values for some of the northern individuals may indicate an increase in the currently accepted northern range of this species. Sex-biased differences in migration may be the result of differences in reproductive pressures. ..
- Subramanian L, Blumenfeld H, Tohn R, Ly D, Aguilera C, Maricic I, et al. NKT cells stimulated by long fatty acyl chain sulfatides significantly reduce the incidence of type 1 diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice [corrected]. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37771 pubmed publisher..Our results raise the possibility that C24:0 may be used therapeutically to delay the onset and protect from T1D in humans. ..
- Gong X, Nakagawa S, Tsukihara T, Bai D. A mechanism of gap junction docking revealed by functional rescue of a human-disease-linked connexin mutant. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:3113-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings not only provide a mechanism for gap junction docking for Cx26 and Cx32 hemichannels, but also a potential therapeutic strategy for gap junction channelopathies. ..
- Kalicharran K, Dales S. The murine coronavirus as a model of trafficking and assembly of viral proteins in neural tissue. Trends Microbiol. 1996;4:264-9 pubmed
- Kendall S, Goldhawk D, Kubu C, Barker P, Verdi J. Expression analysis of a novel p75(NTR) signaling protein, which regulates cell cycle progression and apoptosis. Mech Dev. 2002;117:187-200 pubmed..Our data support previously characterized roles for NRAGE as a mediator of precursor apoptosis and a repressor of cell cycle progression in neural development. ..
- Cai L, Chen S, Evans T, Cherian M, Chakrabarti S. Endothelin-1-mediated alteration of metallothionein and trace metals in the liver and kidneys of chronically diabetic rats. Int J Exp Diabetes Res. 2002;3:193-8 pubmed..No significant effects of bosentan treatment on nondiabetic rats were observed. The data suggest that the possible effects of ET antagonism in diabetes may be mediated via changes in MT and trace metals. ..
- Dixon S, Yu R, Panupinthu N, Wilson J. Activation of P2 nucleotide receptors stimulates acid efflux from astrocytes. Glia. 2004;47:367-76 pubmed..The resulting acidification of the extracellular fluid may serve as an intercellular signal in brain. ..
- Al Shali K, Cao H, Knoers N, Hermus A, Tack C, Hegele R. A single-base mutation in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma4 promoter associated with altered in vitro expression and partial lipodystrophy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:5655-60 pubmed..Because the mutation affects PPARgamma4 expression and is associated with FPLD, this implies that PPARgamma4 might be important for fat depot distribution and metabolism in vivo. ..
- Skanes A, Jones D, Teefy P, Guiraudon C, Yee R, Krahn A, et al. Safety and feasibility of cryothermal ablation within the mid- and distal coronary sinus. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2004;15:1319-23 pubmed..This method has potential application as the ablation method of choice when such lesions are required. ..
- James C, Appleton C, Ulici V, Underhill T, Beier F. Microarray analyses of gene expression during chondrocyte differentiation identifies novel regulators of hypertrophy. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:5316-33 pubmed..Collectively, these analyses provide novel information on the temporal expression of molecules regulating endochondral bone development. ..
- Rosu Myles M, Stewart E, Trowbridge J, Ito C, Zandstra P, Bhatia M. A unique population of bone marrow cells migrates to skeletal muscle via hepatocyte growth factor/c-met axis. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:4343-52 pubmed..This previously unappreciated basis for cellular tracking now aids in defining regulatory networks that distinguish the stem cell niche of the BM versus skeletal muscle microenvironments. ..
- Wen W, Sanelli T, Ge W, Strong W, Strong M. Activated microglial supernatant induced motor neuron cytotoxicity is associated with upregulation of the TNFR1 receptor. Neurosci Res. 2006;55:87-95 pubmed..The TNFR2 receptor was not involved. These observations have important implications in understanding the mechanism by which microglial activation contributes to the motor neuron degeneration. ..
- Mohan R, Rao A, Gagliardi J, Tini M. SUMO-1-dependent allosteric regulation of thymine DNA glycosylase alters subnuclear localization and CBP/p300 recruitment. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:229-43 pubmed..These findings suggest that TDG sumoylation promotes intramolecular interactions with amino- and carboxy-terminal SUMO-1 binding motifs that dramatically alter the biochemical properties and subcellular localization of TDG. ..
- Szyszka B, Ivanov A, Huner N. Psychrophily is associated with differential energy partitioning, photosystem stoichiometry and polypeptide phosphorylation in Chlamydomonas raudensis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1767:789-800 pubmed..We conclude that psychrophily in C. raudensis is complex and appears to involve differential energy partitioning, photosystem stoichiometry and polypeptide phosphorylation. ..
- Kudirka J, Panupinthu N, Tesseyman M, Dixon S, Bernier S. P2Y nucleotide receptor signaling through MAPK/ERK is regulated by extracellular matrix: involvement of beta3 integrins. J Cell Physiol. 2007;213:54-64 pubmed..Thus, nucleotides released in response to mechanical stimulation will have differing effects on cell function due to changes in the composition of the extracellular matrix during development and disease. ..
- Tong X, Wren J, Konermann L. gamma-Ray-mediated oxidative labeling for detecting protein conformational changes by electrospray mass spectrometry. Anal Chem. 2008;80:2222-31 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the overall *OH labeling level represents a viable probe of large-scale protein conformational changes only under conditions where secondary effects are known to be minimal and where [P](tot) is constant. ..
- To C, Kulkarni S, Pawson T, Honda T, Gribble G, Sporn M, et al. The synthetic triterpenoid 2-cyano-3,12-dioxooleana-1,9-dien-28-oic acid-imidazolide alters transforming growth factor beta-dependent signaling and cell migration by affecting the cytoskeleton and the polarity complex. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11700-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, the synthetic triterpenoid CDDO-Im interferes with TGFbeta receptor trafficking and turnover and disrupts cell migration by severing the link between members of the polarity complex and the microtubule network. ..
- Raulic S, Ramos Valdes Y, DiMattia G. Stanniocalcin 2 expression is regulated by hormone signalling and negatively affects breast cancer cell viability in vitro. J Endocrinol. 2008;197:517-29 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, STC2 is a downstream target of E(2), P4 and RA signalling pathways. In hormone receptor negative cell lines it can function in a paracrine/autocrine fashion to reduce cell proliferation. ..
- Scott J, Cukiernik M, Ott M, Bihari A, Badhwar A, Gray D, et al. Low-dose inhaled carbon monoxide attenuates the remote intestinal inflammatory response elicited by hindlimb ischemia-reperfusion. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;296:G9-G14 pubmed publisher..CO may represent a novel anti-inflammatory therapeutic treatment to target remote organs following acute trauma and/or I/R injury. ..
- Hutchison R, Chidiac P, Leung L. Hippocampal long-term potentiation is enhanced in urethane-anesthetized RGS2 knockout mice. Hippocampus. 2009;19:687-91 pubmed publisher..The data show for the first time that RGS2 deficient mice in vivo differ from wild-type mice in both short-term and long-term synaptic plasticity suggesting that RGS2 serves as a negative regulator of long-term synaptic plasticity...
- Leung L, Peloquin P. Cholinergic modulation differs between basal and apical dendritic excitation of hippocampal CA1 pyramidal cells. Cereb Cortex. 2010;20:1865-77 pubmed publisher..We conclude that endogenous acetylcholine mediates a stronger presynaptic inhibition of the midapical than basal and distal apical excitation mainly through M1 receptors. ..
- Li J, Zhu H, Shen E, Wan L, Arnold J, Peng T. Deficiency of rac1 blocks NADPH oxidase activation, inhibits endoplasmic reticulum stress, and reduces myocardial remodeling in a mouse model of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes. 2010;59:2033-42 pubmed publisher..The role of Rac1 signaling may be associated with ER stress and inflammation. Thus, targeting inhibition of Rac1 and NADPH oxidase may be a therapeutic approach for diabetic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Sutton L, Rushlow W. The dopamine D2 receptor regulates Akt and GSK-3 via Dvl-3. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012;15:965-79 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the data suggests that the D2DR very specifically regulates Wnt and Akt signalling via Dvl-3. ..
- Ha S, Park S, Hattlmann C, Barr S, Kim S. Inhibition or deficiency of cathepsin B leads defects in HIV-1 Gag pseudoparticle release in macrophages and HEK293T cells. Antiviral Res. 2012;93:175-84 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CTSB is required for the efficient release of HIV-1 Gag pseudoparticles and targeting CTSB can be a new therapeutic strategy for inhibiting egress of HIV-1 and other enveloped viruses. ..
- Pitts A, Dailey K, Newington J, Chien A, Arseneault R, Cann T, et al. Dithiol-based compounds maintain expression of antioxidant protein peroxiredoxin 1 that counteracts toxicity of mutant huntingtin. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:22717-29 pubmed publisher..These findings should provide a catalyst to explore the use of dithiol-based drugs for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Putman D, Hess D. Isolation of human umbilical cord blood aldehyde dehydrogenase-expressing progenitor cells that modulate vascular regenerative functions in vitro and in vivo. Curr Protoc Stem Cell Biol. 2013;Chapter 2:Unit 2A.10 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we present combined in vitro and in vivo transplantation strategies for the pre-clinical assessment of human progenitor cell-based therapies to treat ischemic disease. ..
- Heming E, Lillicrap T, Omrani M, Herter T, Pruszynski J, Scott S. Primary motor cortex neurons classified in a postural task predict muscle activation patterns in a reaching task. J Neurophysiol. 2016;115:2021-32 pubmed publisher..These results highlight that M1 provides important details on the spatiotemporal patterns of muscle activity during motor skills such as reaching. ..
- Kilic F, Ball E. Partial cleavage mapping of the cytoskeletal protein vinculin. Antibody and talin binding sites. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:8734-40 pubmed..It proved to bind in the central area of the molecule between amino acid residues 545 and 737. Thus the cysteine cleavage reaction products provide a map of general utility for locating features on the vinculin molecule. ..
- Siddiqui A, Karcz S, Podesta R. Developmental and immune regulation of gene expression in Hymenolepis diminuta. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1987;25:19-28 pubmed..The results indicated a massive post-transcriptional regulation of gene expression, the latter inhibited in parasites obtained from normal mice, but not in immune suppressed mice...
- Kavaliers M, Colwell D, Choleris E. Analgesic responses of male mice exposed to the odors of parasitized females: effects of male sexual experience and infection status. Behav Neurosci. 1998;112:1001-11 pubmed..These results show that male mice can discriminate between the odors of parasitized and nonparasitized females and find the odors of parasitized estrous females aversive. ..
- Steele J, Ireland R. Hormonal activation of phosphorylase in cockroach fat body trophocytes: A correlation with trans-membrane calcium flux. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 1999;42:233-44 pubmed..The Ca(2+) fluxes are consistent with its postulated role in the activation of phosphorylase. Arch...
- Zhang J, Gao J, Salojin K, Shao Q, Grattan M, Meagher C, et al. Regulation of fas ligand expression during activation-induced cell death in T cells by p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1017-30 pubmed..Subsequently, caspases stimulate JNK to further upregulate FasL expression. Thus, p38 MAPK and downstream JNK converge to regulate FasL expression at different times after T cell receptor stimulation to elicit maximum AICD. ..
- Weaver L, Verghese P, Bruce J, Fehlings M, Krenz N, Marsh D. Autonomic dysreflexia and primary afferent sprouting after clip-compression injury of the rat spinal cord. J Neurotrauma. 2001;18:1107-19 pubmed..This clinically relevant clip compression cord injury model, studied more frequently for locomotor function, is excellent for investigating mechanisms for the development of autonomic dysreflexia and strategies for its prevention...
- Ivanova I, Dagnino L. Activation of p38- and CRM1-dependent nuclear export promotes E2F1 degradation during keratinocyte differentiation. Oncogene. 2007;26:1147-54 pubmed..Thus, induction of differentiation in epidermal keratinocytes activates a specific program for post-transcriptional downregulation of E2F1, which involves signaling through p38 and activation of nuclear export pathways. ..
- Karamboulas C, Swedani A, Ward C, Al Madhoun A, Wilton S, Boisvenue S, et al. HDAC activity regulates entry of mesoderm cells into the cardiac muscle lineage. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4305-14 pubmed..Our results suggest that HDAC activity regulates the specification of mesoderm cells into cardiomyoblasts by inhibiting the expression of GATA4 and Nkx2-5 in a stem cell model system. ..
- Madan P, Rose K, Watson A. Na/K-ATPase beta1 subunit expression is required for blastocyst formation and normal assembly of trophectoderm tight junction-associated proteins. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:12127-34 pubmed
- Sutton L, Honardoust D, Mouyal J, Rajakumar N, Rushlow W. Activation of the canonical Wnt pathway by the antipsychotics haloperidol and clozapine involves dishevelled-3. J Neurochem. 2007;102:153-69 pubmed
- Neff B, Pitcher T, Ramnarine I. Inter-population variation in multiple paternity and reproductive skew in the guppy. Mol Ecol. 2008;17:2975-84 pubmed publisher..We discuss explanations for the high degree of multiple paternity but the general lack of any major differences among broods from ecologically different populations. ..
- Lamothe J, Valvano M. Burkholderia cenocepacia-induced delay of acidification and phagolysosomal fusion in cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR)-defective macrophages. Microbiology. 2008;154:3825-34 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the prolonged maturation arrest of the vacuoles containing B. cenocepacia within cftr(-/-) macrophages could be a contributing factor in the persistence of the bacteria within CF patients. ..
- Watson J, Gillies E. Amphipathic beta-strand mimics as potential membrane disruptive antibiotics. J Org Chem. 2009;74:5953-60 pubmed publisher..Overall, these studies demonstrate the promise of this class of molecules for the development of new potential antibiotics and provide information on the structural features that are important for activity. ..
- Tuomi J, Voorbraak F, Jones D, Ruijter J. Bias in the Cq value observed with hydrolysis probe based quantitative PCR can be corrected with the estimated PCR efficiency value. Methods. 2010;50:313-22 pubmed publisher..The leftward shift of the C(q) value is dependent on the PCR efficiency and with sufficiently large C(q) values, this shift is constant. This allows the C(q) to be corrected and unbiased target quantities to be obtained. ..
- Schoeman K, Tanaka T, Bend J, Koren G. Hair mercury levels of women of reproductive age in Ontario, Canada: implications to fetal safety and fish consumption. J Pediatr. 2010;157:127-31 pubmed publisher..Analysis of hair mercury may be warranted before pregnancy in selected groups of women consuming more than 12 ounces of fish per week, as dietary modification can decrease body burden and ensure fetal safety. ..
- Bone D, Choi D, Coe I, Hammond J. Nucleoside/nucleobase transport and metabolism by microvascular endothelial cells isolated from ENT1-/- mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;299:H847-56 pubmed publisher..Thus mouse MVECs from transgenic animals may prove to be a useful preclinical model for studies of the effects of purine metabolite modifiers on vascular function. ..
- Garside V, Kowalik A, Johnson C, DiRenzo D, Konieczny S, Pin C. MIST1 regulates the pancreatic acinar cell expression of Atp2c2, the gene encoding secretory pathway calcium ATPase 2. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:2859-70 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we have identified a new Atp2c2 transcript, the loss of which may be linked to the Mist1(-/-) phenotype. ..
- Guo J, Gan X, Haist J, Rajapurohitam V, Zeidan A, Faruq N, et al. Ginseng inhibits cardiomyocyte hypertrophy and heart failure via NHE-1 inhibition and attenuation of calcineurin activation. Circ Heart Fail. 2011;4:79-88 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate a robust antihypertrophic and antiremodeling effect of ginseng, which is mediated by inhibition of NHE-1-dependent calcineurin activation. ..
- Xiang Y, Chen X, Li J, Wang S, Faclier G, MacDonald J, et al. Isoflurane regulates atypical type-A ?-aminobutyric acid receptors in alveolar type II epithelial cells. Anesthesiology. 2013;118:1065-75 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel mechanism that could contribute to the antiinflammatory effect of isoflurane in the human lung. ..
- Xiang F, Lu X, Liu Y, Feng Q. Cardiomyocyte-specific overexpression of human stem cell factor protects against myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168:3486-94 pubmed publisher..The cardioprotective effects of hSCF overexpression are mediated by increased c-kit(+) CSCs, enhanced growth factor expression and activation of Akt signaling pathway. ..
- Nguyen T, Moehring A. Cross-generational comparison of reproductive success in recently caught strains of Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:41 pubmed publisher..Further, there may not be a biologically relevant selection pressure for avoidance of inbreeding depression in wild-type individuals of this short-lived species. ..
- Suzuki T, España M, Nunes M, Zhurov V, Dermauw W, Osakabe M, et al. Protocols for the delivery of small molecules to the two-spotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180658 pubmed publisher..In addition, described protocols could be adapted for other Tetranychidae and related species of economic importance such as Varroa, dust and poultry mites...
- Braun D, Rao J, Mollet G, Schapiro D, Daugeron M, Tan W, et al. Mutations in KEOPS-complex genes cause nephrotic syndrome with primary microcephaly. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1529-1538 pubmed publisher..We thus identified four new monogenic causes of GAMOS, describe a link between KEOPS function and human disease, and delineate potential pathogenic mechanisms. ..
- Zhuge W, Chen R, Vladimir K, Dong X, Zia K, Sun X, et al. Costunolide specifically binds and inhibits thioredoxin reductase 1 to induce apoptosis in colon cancer. Cancer Lett. 2018;412:46-58 pubmed publisher..Our studies have uncovered the mechanism underlying the biological activity of CTD in colon cancer and suggest that targeting TrxR1 may prove to be beneficial as a treatment option. ..
- Chang W, Dagnino L. Analysis of E2F factors during epidermal differentiation. Methods Mol Biol. 2005;289:147-56 pubmed..Thus, we also discuss in detail methods to analyze E2F protein abundance by immunoblot and their ability to bind DNA in cultured cells using electrophoretic mobility shift assays. ..
- Ditor D, John S, Roy J, Marx J, Kittmer C, Weaver L. Effects of polyethylene glycol and magnesium sulfate administration on clinically relevant neurological outcomes after spinal cord injury in the rat. J Neurosci Res. 2007;85:1458-67 pubmed..Furthermore, mean lesion volumes correlated negatively with the corresponding mean BBB scores and positively with the corresponding mean pain scores. In conclusion, both PEG and MgSO(4) enhanced long-term clinical outcomes after SCI. ..
- Weng J, Symons M, Singh S. Studies on Syntaxin 12 and alcohol preference involving C57BL/6J and DBA/2J strains of mice. Behav Genet. 2009;39:183-91 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings support a role for Syntaxin 12 as a potential contributor to alcohol preference in mice. ..
- Behnam Azad B, Rota V, Breadner D, Dhanvantari S, Luyt L. Design, synthesis and in vitro characterization of Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 derivatives for pancreatic beta cell imaging by SPECT. Bioorg Med Chem. 2010;18:1265-72 pubmed publisher..Gamma camera imaging of an insulinoma cell line was carried out using (111)In-labeled peptides. Our results suggest that the prepared GLP-1 derivatives are suitable imaging probes for studying pancreatic islet function in vivo. ..
- Golding M, Zhang L, Mann M. Multiple epigenetic modifiers induce aggressive viral extinction in extraembryonic endoderm stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:457-67 pubmed publisher..Our results further the understanding of mechanisms regulating retroviral transcription in different stem cell lineages. ..
- Hwang J, Kelly G. GATA6 and FOXA2 regulate Wnt6 expression during extraembryonic endoderm formation. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:3220-32 pubmed publisher..Together, these results provide evidence for the direct regulation of Wnt6 that leads to the activation of the canonical WNT-?-catenin pathway and subsequent induction of primitive extraembryonic endoderm. ..
- Seneviratne A, Bell G, Sherman S, Cooper T, Putman D, Hess D. Expanded Hematopoietic Progenitor Cells Reselected for High Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Activity Demonstrate Islet Regenerative Functions. Stem Cells. 2016;34:873-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, expansion and delivery of reselected UCB cells that retain high ALDH-activity after short-term culture represents an improved strategy for the development of cellular therapies to enhance islet regeneration in situ. ..
- Fraser M, McDonald T, Spindel E, Fahy M, Hill D, Challis J. Gastrin-releasing peptide is produced in the pregnant ovine uterus. Endocrinology. 1994;135:2440-5 pubmed
- Houghton F, Thönnissen E, Kidder G, Naus C, Willecke K, Winterhager E. Doubly mutant mice, deficient in connexin32 and -43, show normal prenatal development of organs where the two gap junction proteins are expressed in the same cells. Dev Genet. 1999;24:5-12 pubmed..Either gap junctional coupling is dispensable in embryonic and fetal cells in which these two connexins are coexpressed, or coupling is provided by yet another connexin when both are absent. ..
- Lau J, Cherian M. Developmental changes in hepatic metallothionein, zinc, and copper levels in genetically altered mice. Biochem Cell Biol. 1998;76:615-23 pubmed..9 micrograms/g. This value was similar to the levels of hepatic zinc that was not bound to metallothionein in MT-1* and C57BL/6 mice during development. ..
- Johnston J, Barrett J, Chang W, Chung C, Zeng W, Masters J, et al. Role of the serine-threonine kinase PAK-1 in myxoma virus replication. J Virol. 2003;77:5877-88 pubmed..These observations suggest that induced signaling via cellular STKs may play important roles in determining the permissiveness of host cells to poxvirus infection...
- Treadwell J, Pagniello K, Singh S. Genetic segregation of brain gene expression identifies retinaldehyde binding protein 1 and syntaxin 12 as potential contributors to ethanol preference in mice. Behav Genet. 2004;34:425-39 pubmed
- Martin McCaffrey L, Hains M, Pritchard G, Pajak A, Dagnino L, Siderovski D, et al. Differential expression of regulator of G-protein signaling R12 subfamily members during mouse development. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:438-44 pubmed..In contrast, RGS14 is found ubiquitously throughout the postimplantation period. We conclude that R12 subfamily RGS proteins likely play significant and different roles in specific tissues and periods of mouse embryogenesis. ..
- Luke P, Deng J, Lian D, O Connell P, Garcia B, Jevnikar A, et al. Prolongation of allograft survival by administration of anti-CD45RB monoclonal antibody is due to alteration of CD45RBhi: CD45RBlo T-cell proportions. Am J Transplant. 2006;6:2023-34 pubmed..A strategy to eliminate effector T cells with consequent enrichment of the regulatory T-cell compartment may be an important new strategy in the prevention of rejection. ..
- Hickson J, Fong B, Watson P, Watson A. PP2Cdelta (Ppm1d, WIP1), an endogenous inhibitor of p38 MAPK, is regulated along with Trp53 and Cdkn2a following p38 MAPK inhibition during mouse preimplantation development. Mol Reprod Dev. 2007;74:821-34 pubmed..This study increases our understanding of the mechanisms controlling preimplantation development and of the interactions between preimplantation embryos and their culture environments. ..
- Stanford M, Barrett J, Gilbert P, Bankert R, McFadden G. Myxoma virus expressing human interleukin-12 does not induce myxomatosis in European rabbits. J Virol. 2007;81:12704-8 pubmed..Yet, vMyxIL-12 does not cause myxomatosis, despite expressing the complete repertoire of MV proteins. Thus, vMyxIL-12 exhibits promise as an oncolytic candidate and is safe in all known vertebrate hosts, including lagomorphs. ..
- Fraser B, Neff B. Parasite mediated homogenizing selection at the MHC in guppies. Genetica. 2010;138:273-8 pubmed publisher..These results not only link parasite infection with MHC genotype, they provide a mechanism of homogenizing selection across these otherwise disparate populations. ..
- Prout A, Frasch M, Veldhuizen R, Hammond R, Matushewski B, Richardson B. The impact of intermittent umbilical cord occlusions on the inflammatory response in pre-term fetal sheep. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39043 pubmed publisher..Female fetuses were also found to have higher IL-1? levels than males, indicating that gender may impact on the fetal inflammatory response to various stimuli. ..
- Martínez Abundis E, Rajapurohitam V, Haist J, Gan X, Karmazyn M. The obesity-related peptide leptin sensitizes cardiac mitochondria to calcium-induced permeability transition pore opening and apoptosis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41612 pubmed publisher..Leptin may therefore contribute to mitochondrial dysfunction and the development of apoptosis in the diseased myocardium particularly under conditions of excessive intracellular calcium accumulation. ..