Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Publications591 found, 100 shown here
- Sticht M, Long J, Rock E, Limebeer C, Mechoulam R, Cravatt B, et al. Inhibition of monoacylglycerol lipase attenuates vomiting in Suncus murinus and 2-arachidonoyl glycerol attenuates nausea in rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2012;165:2425-35 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the role of 2-arachidonoyl glycerol (2AG) in the regulation of nausea and vomiting using animal models of vomiting and of nausea-like behaviour (conditioned gaping)...
- Lindinger M, Leung M, Trajcevski K, Hawke T. Volume regulation in mammalian skeletal muscle: the role of sodium-potassium-chloride cotransporters during exposure to hypertonic solutions. J Physiol. 2011;589:2887-99 pubmed publisher..The rate of RVI is dependent on the degree of change in extracellular osmolarity, is muscle specific, and is dependent on the functioning of the NKCC and Na+, K+-ATPase. ..
- Choleris E, Clipperton Allen A, Gray D, Diaz Gonzalez S, Welsman R. Differential effects of dopamine receptor D1-type and D2-type antagonists and phase of the estrous cycle on social learning of food preferences, feeding, and social interactions in mice. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:1689-702 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results suggest a differential involvement of the D1-type and D2-type receptors in the regulation of social learning, feeding, and agonistic behaviors that are likely mediated by different underlying states. ..
- Timusk E, Ferguson M, Moghadam H, Norman J, Wilson C, Danzmann R. Genome evolution in the fish family salmonidae: generation of a brook charr genetic map and comparisons among charrs (Arctic charr and brook charr) with rainbow trout. BMC Genet. 2011;12:68 pubmed publisher..The formation of quadrivalents during meiosis leads to pseudolinkage. This phenomenon is more prevalent within 5 of the 12 ancestral teleost linkage groups in salmonids...
- Hamilton C, Verduzco G mez A, Favetta L, Blondin P, King W. Testis-specific protein Y-encoded copy number is correlated to its expression and the field fertility of Canadian Holstein bulls. Sex Dev. 2012;6:231-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TSPY copy number might represent a potential marker of bull fertility, but its mechanism does not appear to be directly related to the semen characteristics analyzed as part of this study...
- Burgos S, Kim J, Dai M, Cant J. Energy depletion of bovine mammary epithelial cells activates AMPK and suppresses protein synthesis through inhibition of mTORC1 signaling. Horm Metab Res. 2013;45:183-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the results suggest that activation of AMPK represses global protein synthesis in mammary epithelial cells through inhibition of mTORC1 signaling. ..
- Mangat C, Boyd D, Janecko N, Martz S, Desruisseau A, Carpenter M, et al. Characterization of VCC-1, a Novel Ambler Class A Carbapenemase from Vibrio cholerae Isolated from Imported Retail Shrimp Sold in Canada. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:1819-25 pubmed publisher..Using nitrocefin as a reporter substrate, VCC-1 was moderately inhibited by clavulanic acid and tazobactam but not EDTA. In this report, we present the discovery of a novel class A carbapenemase from the food supply. ..
- Baquero M, Plattner B. Bovine WC1(+) Î³Î´ T lymphocytes modify monocyte-derived macrophage responses during early Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2016;170:65-72 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study showed that WC1(+) Î³Î´ lymphocytes had differential effects on Map-infected macrophages in vitro. ..
- Mantovani F, Morrison J, Mutsaers A. Effects of epidermal growth factor receptor kinase inhibition on radiation response in canine osteosarcoma cells. BMC Vet Res. 2016;12:82 pubmed publisher..Angiogenic responses to radiation and kinase inhibitors are similarly likely to be multifactorial and require further investigation. ..
- Gill J, Sabour P, Leslie K, Griffiths M. Bovine whey proteins inhibit the interaction of Staphylococcus aureus and bacteriophage K. J Appl Microbiol. 2006;101:377-86 pubmed..aureus. This pathogen is predicted to be much more resistant to phage treatment in vivo than would be expected from in vitro broth culture experiments. ..
- Metcalf D, MacInnes J. Differential expression of Haemophilus parasuis genes in response to iron restriction and cerebrospinal fluid. Can J Vet Res. 2007;71:181-8 pubmed..The hydrolase homologue, however, was expressed only in representative H. parasuis strains associated with a high virulence potential, suggesting that this enzyme may play a role in pathogenesis...
- Girish C, Smith T. Effects of feeding blends of grains naturally contaminated with Fusarium mycotoxins on small intestinal morphology of turkeys. Poult Sci. 2008;87:1075-82 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that consumption of grains naturally contaminated with Fusarium mycotoxins results in adverse effects on intestinal morphology during early growth phases of turkeys, and GMA can prevent many of these effects...
- Harauz G, Libich D. The classic basic protein of myelin--conserved structural motifs and the dynamic molecular barcode involved in membrane adhesion and protein-protein interactions. Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2009;10:196-215 pubmed..For the most part, any classic protein isoform functions as an entropic spring that interacts in its entirety with membranes and cytoskeletal proteins, but the central and C-terminal motifs may represent molecular switches. ..
- Horrocks J, Hamilton D, Whitehead H. A likelihood approach to estimating animal density from binary acoustic transects. Biometrics. 2011;67:681-90 pubmed publisher..The method is illustrated using real acoustic data from a survey of sperm and humpback whales. ..
- Murphy C, Reid Smith R, Boerlin P, Weese J, Prescott J, Janecko N, et al. Escherichia coli and selected veterinary and zoonotic pathogens isolated from environmental sites in companion animal veterinary hospitals in southern Ontario. Can Vet J. 2010;51:963-72 pubmed..There is an environmental reservoir of pathogens in veterinary hospitals; therefore, additional studies are required to characterize risk factors associated with HAI in companion animals, including the role of the environment. ..
- Gregory T, Hebert P, Kolasa J. Evolutionary implications of the relationship between genome size and body size in flatworms and copepods. Heredity (Edinb). 2000;84 ( Pt 2):201-8 pubmed..Genome sizes appear to vary in a discontinuous fashion among congeneric species in both groups, indicating that such changes have occurred rapidly, and with potentially profound effects on important morphological characters. ..
- LeBlanc S, Duffield T, Leslie K, Bateman K, Keefe G, Walton J, et al. Defining and diagnosing postpartum clinical endometritis and its impact on reproductive performance in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2002;85:2223-36 pubmed..73 for pregnancy (took 27% longer to become pregnant), and were 1.7 times more likely to be culled for reproductive failure than cows without endometritis...
- Weese J, Baird J, DeLay J, Kenney D, Staempfli H, Viel L, et al. West Nile virus encephalomyelitis in horses in Ontario: 28 cases. Can Vet J. 2003;44:469-73 pubmed..This pathogen is emerging as an important cause of neurological disease in Canada. ..
- Brisson B, Moffatt S, Swayne S, Parent J. Recurrence of thoracolumbar intervertebral disk extrusion in chondrodystrophic dogs after surgical decompression with or without prophylactic fenestration: 265 cases (1995-1999). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004;224:1808-14 pubmed..Prophylactic fenestration could promote disk extrusion at adjacent, nonfenestrated disk spaces. This could have a substantial clinical impact if recurrence develops at L4-5. ..
- Lillie B, Keirstead N, Squires E, Hayes M. Gene polymorphisms associated with reduced hepatic expression of porcine mannan-binding lectin C. Dev Comp Immunol. 2007;31:830-46 pubmed..These findings indicate that some promoter polymorphisms impair MBL-C expression in pigs and may increase their susceptibility to disease. ..
- Haghighi H, Abdul Careem M, Dara R, Chambers J, Sharif S. Cytokine gene expression in chicken cecal tonsils following treatment with probiotics and Salmonella infection. Vet Microbiol. 2008;126:225-33 pubmed..These findings reveal that repression of IL-12 and IFN-gamma expression is associated with probiotic-mediated reduction in intestinal colonization with Salmonella serovar Typhimurium. ..
- Parker L, Limebeer C, Rock E, Litt D, Kwiatkowska M, Piomelli D. The FAAH inhibitor URB-597 interferes with cisplatin- and nicotine-induced vomiting in the Suncus murinus (house musk shrew). Physiol Behav. 2009;97:121-4 pubmed publisher..The effect of URB on nicotine-induced vomiting was reversed by SR141716. These data suggest that the EC system plays a tonic role in the regulation of toxin-induced vomiting. ..
- Bohmanova J, Sargolzaei M, Schenkel F. Characteristics of linkage disequilibrium in North American Holsteins. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:421 pubmed publisher..Large heterogeneity in the pattern and the extent of LD in Holstein cattle was observed on both autosomes and the X chromosome. The extent of LD was higher on the X chromosome compared to the autosomes. ..
- Skalski M, Sharma N, Williams K, Kruspe A, Coppolino M. SNARE-mediated membrane traffic is required for focal adhesion kinase signaling and Src-regulated focal adhesion turnover. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1813:148-58 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that SNARE-dependent trafficking is required for integrin signaling through a FAK/Src/PI3K-dependent pathway. ..
- Ojkic D, Nagy E. Antibody response and virus tissue distribution in chickens inoculated with wild-type and recombinant fowl adenoviruses. Vaccine. 2003;22:42-8 pubmed..Based on these results the TR-2 was dispensable for viral replication in vivo and did not influence virus distribution, and the recombinant FAdV-9 induced the same immune response as the wild-type virus...
- McLaren C, Lissemore K, Duffield T, Leslie K, Kelton D, Grexton B. The association of herd milk production and management with a return-over-feed index in Ontario dairy herds. J Dairy Sci. 2005;88:419-25 pubmed..59/d per cow higher ROF. Production-related variables accounted for more variation in the ROF index than management variables, and the latter, e.g., use of monensin, only marginally increased R2 of production-based regression models. ..
- Miller A, Heyland A. Endocrine interactions between plants and animals: Implications of exogenous hormone sources for the evolution of hormone signaling. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2010;166:455-61 pubmed publisher..For the evolution of hormonal signaling it helps us to better understand how complex endocrine mechanisms may have evolved. ..
- Holloway G, Chou C, Lally J, Stellingwerff T, Maher A, Gavrilova O, et al. Increasing skeletal muscle fatty acid transport protein 1 (FATP1) targets fatty acids to oxidation and does not predispose mice to diet-induced insulin resistance. Diabetologia. 2011;54:1457-67 pubmed publisher..Therefore, skeletal muscle FATP1 overabundance does not predispose animals to diet-induced insulin resistance. ..
- Smith M, Bertrand C, Crosby K, Eveleigh E, Fernandez Triana J, Fisher B, et al. Wolbachia and DNA barcoding insects: patterns, potential, and problems. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36514 pubmed publisher..While COI is one of the five multi-locus sequence typing (MLST) genes used for categorizing Wolbachia, there is limited overlap with the eukaryotic DNA barcode region. ..
- Yao X, Evans D. High-frequency genetic recombination and reactivation of orthopoxviruses from DNA fragments transfected into leporipoxvirus-infected cells. J Virol. 2003;77:7281-90 pubmed..These observations suggest that recombination is an integral part of poxvirus reactivation reactions and provide a useful new technique for altering the structure of poxvirus genomes...
- Olea Popelka F, Flynn O, Costello E, McGrath G, Collins J, O Keeffe J, et al. Spatial relationship between Mycobacterium bovis strains in cattle and badgers in four areas in Ireland. Prev Vet Med. 2005;71:57-70 pubmed..bovis isolated from badgers, and its impact on trying to study transmission of M. bovis between cattle and badger. ..
- Abdul Careem M, Hunter B, Parvizi P, Haghighi H, Thanthrige Don N, Sharif S. Cytokine gene expression patterns associated with immunization against Marek's disease in chickens. Vaccine. 2007;25:424-32 pubmed..In conclusion, vaccination with a bivalent MD vaccine was associated with distinct cytokine expression patterns in spleen and modulation of cytokine responses by the vaccine may play a role in mediation of protection...
- Davy C, Crispo E, Woo P. Use of a live vaccine to modulate Cryptobia salmositica infections in Salmo salar. Dis Aquat Organ. 2007;76:45-8 pubmed..salmositica had lower peak parasitaemias and higher antibody titres than infected fish given the vaccine 7 d post-infection or those infected fish that were not given the vaccine. ..
- Jeon B, Coppola G, Perrault S, Rho G, Betts D, King W. S-adenosylhomocysteine treatment of adult female fibroblasts alters X-chromosome inactivation and improves in vitro embryo development after somatic cell nuclear transfer. Reproduction. 2008;135:815-28 pubmed publisher..5-fold increase in telomerase activity. We concluded that SAH induces global DNA demethylation that partially reactivates the Xi, and that a hypomethylated genome may facilitate the nuclear reprogramming process. ..
- Garabagi F, Wade French B, Schaafsma A, Peter Pauls K. Increased expression of a cGMP-dependent protein kinase in rotation-adapted western corn rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera L.). Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:697-704 pubmed publisher..However, Diabrotica contains at least two different foraging gene transcripts, which complicates establishing a direct link between the level of gene expression and insect behavior. ..
- Wells C, Tchuenche J, Meyers L, Galvani A, Bauch C. Impact of imitation processes on the effectiveness of ring vaccination. Bull Math Biol. 2011;73:2748-72 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest that risk communication efforts should be initiated early in an outbreak when ring vaccination is to be applied, especially among subpopulations that are heavily influenced by peer opinions. ..
- Lum W, Robertson J, Van Raay T. Dishevelled2 is a stable protein during early zebrafish development. Zebrafish. 2011;8:65-71 pubmed publisher..Cumulatively, these results demonstrate that Dvl2 is a ubiquitous and stable protein and that Nkds may not always function to degrade Dvl proteins as a method of inhibiting Wnt signaling. ..
- Stachowicz K, Sargolzaei M, Miglior F, Schenkel F. Rates of inbreeding and genetic diversity in Canadian Holstein and Jersey cattle. J Dairy Sci. 2011;94:5160-75 pubmed publisher..Therefore, a need exists in both breeds, particularly in Jerseys, for managing selection and mating decisions to control future coancestry and inbreeding, which would lead to better handling of the effective population size. ..
- Schoster A, Arroyo L, Staempfli H, Shewen P, Weese J. Presence and molecular characterization of Clostridium difficile and Clostridium perfringens in intestinal compartments of healthy horses. BMC Vet Res. 2012;8:94 pubmed publisher..difficile and C. perfringens in different intestinal compartments of healthy adult horses and to determine whether faecal samples are representative of colonization in proximal sites and overall carrier status...
- Panahi S, Luhovyy B, Liu T, Akhavan T, El Khoury D, Goff H, et al. Energy and macronutrient content of familiar beverages interact with pre-meal intervals to determine later food intake, appetite and glycemic response in young adults. Appetite. 2013;60:154-161 pubmed publisher..Thus, beverage calorie content and inter-meal intervals are primary determinants of food intake in the short-term, but macronutrient composition, especially protein content and composition, may play the greater role in glycemic control. ..
- Grana T, LaMarre J, Kalisch B. Nerve growth factor-mediated regulation of low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein promoter activation. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2013;33:269-82 pubmed publisher..These data suggest the NGF-mediated increase in LRP1 levels occurs, at least in part, at the level of transcription and that NO and the TrkA signalling pathways cooperate in the modulation of LRP1 transcription. ..
- McCorquodale C, Sewalem A, Miglior F, Kelton D, Robinson A, Koeck A, et al. Short communication: analysis of health and survival in a population of Ontario Holstein heifer calves. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:1880-5 pubmed publisher..Further investigation and improved data collection are required to determine the full impact of genetics on health and survival in dairy heifer calves...
- Gomez D, Arroyo L, Costa M, Viel L, Weese J. Characterization of the Fecal Bacterial Microbiota of Healthy and Diarrheic Dairy Calves. J Vet Intern Med. 2017;31:928-939 pubmed publisher..The differences in microbiota structure and membership between healthy and diarrheic calves suggest that dysbiosis can occur in diarrheic calves and it is associated with changes in predictive metagenomic function. ..
- Jones A. Monensin toxicosis in 2 sheep flocks. Can Vet J. 2001;42:135-6 pubmed..Postmortem findings were suggestive of degenerative myocardial and skeletal muscle myopathy, which was confirmed histologically. Feed analysis revealed toxic levels of monensin and ionophore toxicosis was diagnosed. ..
- Karmali M. Infection by Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli: an overview. Mol Biotechnol. 2004;26:117-22 pubmed..The recent sequencing of genomes of two epidemic E. coli O157 strains has revealed novel pathogenicity islands which will likely provide new insights into the virulence of these bacteria. ..
- Chowdhury S, Smith T, Boermans H, Woodward B. Effects of feed-borne Fusarium mycotoxins on hematology and immunology of turkeys. Poult Sci. 2005;84:1698-706 pubmed..Consumption of grains naturally contaminated with Fusarium mycotoxins may, however, increase the susceptibility of turkeys to infectious agents against which CD8+ T cells play a major role in defense...
- Smithwick M, Norstrom R, Mabury S, Solomon K, Evans T, Stirling I, et al. Temporal trends of perfluoroalkyl contaminants in polar bears (Ursus maritimus) from two locations in the North American Arctic, 1972-2002. Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:1139-43 pubmed..The doubling time for PFOS was similar to the doubling time of production of perfluoroctylsulfonyl-fluoride-based products during the 1990s. ..
- Firth M, Prando Moore D, Pei Y, Shewen P, Lo R, Yoo D, et al. Cloning of a gene fragment encoding bovine complement component C3d with expression and characterization of derived fusion proteins. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2006;114:61-71 pubmed..The boC3d fusion proteins expressed in this study will provide the basis for immunization trials in cattle and studies of receptor binding and cell activation of bovine lymphocytes. ..
- Pratt S, Geor R, Spriet L, McCutcheon L. Time course of insulin sensitivity and skeletal muscle glycogen synthase activity after a single bout of exercise in horses. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2007;103:1063-9 pubmed
- Morrissey M, Wilson A, Pemberton J, Ferguson M. A framework for power and sensitivity analyses for quantitative genetic studies of natural populations, and case studies in Soay sheep (Ovis aries). J Evol Biol. 2007;20:2309-21 pubmed..09. Given this range of results, we suggest that such power and sensitivity analyses could greatly complement empirical studies, and we provide the computer program PEDANTICS to aid in their application. ..
- Bi K, Bogart J, Fu J. Two rare aneutriploids in the unisexual Ambystoma (Amphibia, Caudata) identified by GISH indicating two different types of meiotic errors. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2007;119:127-30 pubmed..Our study provides additional evidence for the extremely flexible reproduction of unisexual Ambystoma. ..
- Yang F, Aiello D, Pyle W. Cardiac myofilament regulation by protein phosphatase type 1alpha and CapZ. Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;86:70-8 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate myofilament regulation by PP1alpha and support the concept that cardiac Z-discs are vital components in intracellular signalling. ..
- O Grady M, Minors S, O Sullivan M, Horne R. Effect of pimobendan on case fatality rate in Doberman Pinschers with congestive heart failure caused by dilated cardiomyopathy. J Vet Intern Med. 2008;22:897-904 pubmed publisher..71). Number and rate of dogs reaching treatment failure in the placebo group precluded the analysis of QoL. Pimobendan should be used as a first-line therapeutic in Doberman Pinschers for the treatment of CHF caused by DCM. ..
- Solomon K, Carr J, du Preez L, Giesy J, Kendall R, Smith E, et al. Effects of atrazine on fish, amphibians, and aquatic reptiles: a critical review. Crit Rev Toxicol. 2008;38:721-72 pubmed..For other responses, such as immune function, stress endocrinology, parasitism, or population-level effects, there are no indications of effects or there is such a paucity of good data that definitive conclusions cannot be made. ..
- Sorensen M, Hipfner J, Kyser T, Norris D. Carry-over effects in a Pacific seabird: stable isotope evidence that pre-breeding diet quality influences reproductive success. J Anim Ecol. 2009;78:460-7 pubmed publisher..Our work emphasizes the importance of determining how events are linked throughout the annual cycle for understanding the fitness and population dynamics of migratory animals. ..
- Sorge U, Mount J, Kelton D, Godkin A. Veterinarians' perspective on a voluntary Johne's disease prevention program in Ontario and western Canada. Can Vet J. 2010;51:403-5 pubmed..The veterinarians surveyed believed Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis may have zoonotic potential, liked the risk assessment based program, and thought it could lead to the prevention of other on-farm diseases. ..
- Jenkin S, Laberge F. Visual discrimination learning in the fire-bellied toad Bombina orientalis. Learn Behav. 2010;38:418-25 pubmed publisher..This elaborate form of learning appears to be conserved among vertebrates. ..
- Wilson J, Rougerie R, Schonfeld J, Janzen D, Hallwachs W, Hajibabaei M, et al. When species matches are unavailable are DNA barcodes correctly assigned to higher taxa? An assessment using sphingid moths. BMC Ecol. 2011;11:18 pubmed publisher..We simulated libraries with different levels of completeness (10-100% of the available species), and recorded assignments (positive or ambiguous) and their accuracy (true or false) under six criteria...
- Hodgins D, Shewen P. Vaccination of neonates: problem and issues. Vaccine. 2012;30:1541-59 pubmed publisher..Vaccines can be optimized for use in neonates - by making better use of existing vaccine technologies and by harnessing the potential of recent immunological and technological advances. ..
- Lindinger M, Ecker G. Gastric emptying, intestinal absorption of electrolytes and exercise performance in electrolyte-supplemented horses. Exp Physiol. 2013;98:193-206 pubmed publisher..The ES clearly served as a reservoir to replace sweat ion losses during exercise, and administration of ES prior to exercise resulted in increased duration of submaximal exercise...
- Wright P. Environmental physiology of the mangrove rivulus, Kryptolebias marmoratus, a cutaneously breathing fish that survives for weeks out of water. Integr Comp Biol. 2012;52:792-800 pubmed publisher..Future studies should focus on variation in response to environmental changes between homozygous lineages to identify the genetic underpinnings of physiological responses. ..
- Park J, Friendship R, Poljak Z, Weese J, Dewey C. An investigation of exudative epidermitis (greasy pig disease) and antimicrobial resistance patterns of Staphylococcus hyicus and Staphylococcus aureus isolated from clinical cases. Can Vet J. 2013;54:139-44 pubmed..Similar resistance was noted among S. aureus isolates. Antimicrobial resistance has become a problem in the treatment of EE in Ontario. ..
- Wood K, Awda B, Fitzsimmons C, Miller S, McBride B, Swanson K. Influence of pregnancy in mid-to-late gestation on circulating metabolites, visceral organ mass, and abundance of proteins relating to energy metabolism in mature beef cows. J Anim Sci. 2013;91:5775-84 pubmed publisher..In rumen papillae, abundance of pAMPK? was increased (P = 0.006) in PREG cows. These data indicate that PREG cows may metabolize energy reserves and alter their metabolism to meet the energetic demands of the growing fetus. ..
- Dalton H, Wood B, Widowski T, Guerin M, Torrey S. An analysis of beak shape variation in two ages of domestic turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) using landmark-based geometric morphometrics. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185159 pubmed publisher..Future applications of beak shape variability could have a genetic and welfare value by incorporating beak shape variation to select for specific turkey beak phenotypes as an alternative to beak treatment...
- Qu Q, Russell P, Sharom F. Stoichiometry and affinity of nucleotide binding to P-glycoprotein during the catalytic cycle. Biochemistry. 2003;42:1170-7 pubmed..Drugs alter the binding affinity to favor association of ATP with P-glycoprotein at the start of the catalytic cycle and release of ADP from the transition state following nucleotide hydrolysis. ..
- Bean L, Leeson S. Long-term effects of feeding flaxseed on performance and egg fatty acid composition of brown and white hens. Poult Sci. 2003;82:388-94 pubmed..Both strains of birds fed flaxseed deposited significantly more n-3 fatty acids into their eggs. Sampling of livers at the end of the trial showed that hens fed flaxseed had a higher (P < 0.05) incidence of liver hemorrhages. ..
- Eyjolfson V, Spriet L, Dyck D. Conjugated linoleic acid improves insulin sensitivity in young, sedentary humans. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004;36:814-20 pubmed..However, there is considerable individual variability in the response. Additional studies are required to identify underlying metabolic changes in human skeletal muscle. ..
- Pearson W, Boermans H, Bettger W, McBride B, Lindinger M. Association of maximum voluntary dietary intake of freeze-dried garlic with Heinz body anemia in horses. Am J Vet Res. 2005;66:457-65 pubmed..The potential for garlic toxicosis exists when horses are chronically fed garlic. Further study is required to determine the safe dietary dose of garlic in horses. ..
- Yule A, Austin J, Barker I, Cadieux B, Moccia R. Persistence of Clostridium botulinum neurotoxin type E in tissues from selected freshwater fish species: implications to public health. J Food Prot. 2006;69:1164-7 pubmed
- Sarson A, Abdul Careem M, Zhou H, Sharif S. Transcriptional analysis of host responses to Marek's disease viral infection. Viral Immunol. 2006;19:747-58 pubmed..Identification of genetic mechanisms initiated by in vivo infection with MDV expands the current understanding of immune response to the virus in addition to host response elements associated with viral pathogenesis...
- Peiman K, Robinson B. Heterospecific aggression and adaptive divergence in brook stickleback (Culaea inconstans). Evolution. 2007;61:1327-38 pubmed..These stickleback communities have been structured by both evolved and pre-existing variation in heterospecific aggressive behavior in brook stickleback. ..
- Buckman A, Fisk A, Parrott J, Solomon K, Brown S. PCBs can diminish the influence of temperature on thyroid indices in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquat Toxicol. 2007;84:366-78 pubmed
- Lee R, Cornelisse M, Ziauddin A, Slack P, Hodgins D, Strommer J, et al. Expression of a modified Mannheimia haemolytica GS60 outer membrane lipoprotein in transgenic alfalfa for the development of an edible vaccine against bovine pneumonic pasteurellosis. J Biotechnol. 2008;135:224-31 pubmed publisher..Feeding of the dried transgenic alfalfa expressing the GS60(54) to rabbits is capable of inducing seroconversion, suggesting that GS60(54) could be an effective oral antigen for stimulating mucosal immune responses...
- Holloway G, Benton C, Mullen K, Yoshida Y, Snook L, Han X, et al. In obese rat muscle transport of palmitate is increased and is channeled to triacylglycerol storage despite an increase in mitochondrial palmitate oxidation. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009;296:E738-47 pubmed publisher..The additional fatty acid taken up is channeled primarily to esterification, suggesting that upregulation in fatty acid transport as opposed to altered fatty acid oxidation is the major determinant of intramuscular lipid accumulation...
- Weese J, Reid Smith R, Avery B, Rousseau J. Detection and characterization of Clostridium difficile in retail chicken. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2010;50:362-5 pubmed publisher..difficile infection. The relevance of food contamination is completely unclear at this point but food should be investigated as a source of infection. ..
- Haq K, Abdul Careem M, Shanmuganthan S, Thanthrige Don N, Read L, Sharif S. Vaccine-induced host responses against very virulent Marek's disease virus infection in the lungs of chickens. Vaccine. 2010;28:5565-72 pubmed publisher..These findings shed more light on the immunological events that occur in the lungs after vaccination or infection with MDV...
- Young I, Rajic A, Letellier A, Cox B, Leslie M, Sanei B, et al. Knowledge and attitudes toward food safety and use of good production practices among Canadian broiler chicken producers. J Food Prot. 2010;73:1278-87 pubmed..Continuing education of producers should focus on improving their awareness of these issues, while mandatory GPP should include those that are known to be effective in controlling Campylobacter and Salmonella in broiler chicken flocks. ..
- Hewson J, Viel L, Caswell J, Shewen P, Buchanan Smith J. Impact of isoflupredone acetate treatment on clinical signs and weight gain in weanling heifers with experimentally induced Mannheimia haemolytica bronchopneumonia. Am J Vet Res. 2011;72:1613-21 pubmed publisher..To characterize the impact of Mannheimia haemolytica infection on feed intake and weight gain in feedlot heifers and to evaluate the clinical efficacy of isoflupredone acetate administered in combination with oxytetracycline...
- Yeiser E, Leslie K, McGilliard M, Petersson Wolfe C. The effects of experimentally induced Escherichia coli mastitis and flunixin meglumine administration on activity measures, feed intake, and milk parameters. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95:4939-4949 pubmed publisher..However, the improvement in DMI and milk production for ECF animals provides evidence for using a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug as supportive therapy in alleviating the adverse effects associated with E. coli mastitis. ..
- Young M, Behan Pelletier V, Hebert P. Revealing the hyperdiverse mite fauna of subarctic Canada through DNA barcoding. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48755 pubmed publisher..This investigation demonstrates the efficacy of DNA barcoding in facilitating biodiversity assessments of hyperdiverse taxa. ..
- Morthorst J, Lister A, Bjerregaard P, Van der Kraak G. Ibuprofen reduces zebrafish PGE(2) levels but steroid hormone levels and reproductive parameters are not affected. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;157:251-7 pubmed publisher..This study shows that ibuprofen reduces PGE(2) levels in male and female zebrafish but has no consistent effects on other investigated reproductive parameters. ..
- Lin C, Aggrey S. Incorporation of economic values into the component traits of a ratio: feed efficiency. Poult Sci. 2013;92:916-22 pubmed publisher..Selection on D is more efficient than direct selection on R or selection on x1 alone when x1 is less heritable than x2 and the difference between µ1 and µ2 is small. ..
- Lindinger M, Heigenhauser G. Effects of gas exchange on acid-base balance. Compr Physiol. 2012;2:2203-54 pubmed publisher..In many situations, complete acid-base data are lacking, indicating a need for further research aimed at elucidating mechanistic bases for relationships between alterations in acid-base state and the ventilatory responses. ..