Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animal disease models in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Topic: animal disease models
- Levine D, Iacovitti M, Robertson S. Modulation of single-nephron GFR in the db/db mouse model of type 2 diabetes mellitus. II. Effects of renal mass reduction. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;294:R1840-6 pubmed publisher..In addition, in the db/db Nx mice, 4-6 mo after Nx, there was an exacerbation of the lesions of diabetic nephropathy, as quantified by a significant increase in the ratio of mesangial surface area to total glomerular surface area. ..
- Balabanian S, Gendron N, MacKenzie A. Histologic and transcriptional assessment of a mild SMA model. Neurol Res. 2007;29:413-24 pubmed..Furthermore, changes occur, which may be reactive to and not causative of the cellular loss, involving central cellular functions as well as calcium modulating proteins. ..
- Berube N, Jagla M, Smeenk C, De Repentigny Y, Kothary R, Picketts D. Neurodevelopmental defects resulting from ATRX overexpression in transgenic mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:253-61 pubmed..Our findings indicate that ATRX dosage is crucial for normal development and organization of the cortex, and emphasize the relevance of our model for the study of ATRX function and disease pathogenesis. ..
- Dilauro M, Zimpelmann J, Robertson S, Genest D, Burns K. Effect of ACE2 and angiotensin-(1-7) in a mouse model of early chronic kidney disease. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;298:F1523-32 pubmed publisher..In contrast, ANG-(1-7) does not affect albuminuria after (5/6) Nx. We propose that endogenous ACE2 is renoprotective in CKD. ..
- Liu H, Shafey D, Moores J, Kothary R. Neurodevelopmental consequences of Smn depletion in a mouse model of spinal muscular atrophy. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:111-22 pubmed publisher..Overall, we conclude that Smn depletion affects developmental processes, which ultimately may also contribute to SMA pathogenesis. ..
- KuoLee R, Zhao X, Austin J, Harris G, Conlan J, Chen W. Mouse model of oral infection with virulent type A Francisella tularensis. Infect Immun. 2007;75:1651-60 pubmed..tularensis is an effective oral pathogen that can cause fatal systemic infection and could pose a public health concern, particularly to immunocompromised individuals, if ingested in contaminated water and food. ..
- Bowerman M, Anderson C, Beauvais A, Boyl P, Witke W, Kothary R. SMN, profilin IIa and plastin 3: a link between the deregulation of actin dynamics and SMA pathogenesis. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;42:66-74 pubmed publisher..However, the depletion of profilin II and the restoration of plastin 3 are not sufficient to rescue the SMA phenotype. Our study suggests that additional regulators of actin dynamics must also contribute to SMA pathogenesis. ..
- Albert P, Lemonde S. 5-HT1A receptors, gene repression, and depression: guilt by association. Neuroscientist. 2004;10:575-93 pubmed..The authors review evidence that altered transcription of the 5-HT1A receptor can affect the serotonin system and limbic and cortical areas, leading to predisposition to depression. ..
- Stevens W, Fortin T, Pappas B. Retinal and optic nerve degeneration after chronic carotid ligation: time course and role of light exposure. Stroke. 2002;33:1107-12 pubmed..This experiment investigated the effects of chronic retinal ischemia in an animal model involving permanent carotid occlusion. The time course of retinal pathology and the role of light in this pathology were examined...
- Storbeck C, Drmanic S, Daniel K, Waring J, Jirik F, Parry D, et al. Inhibition of myogenesis in transgenic mice expressing the human DMPK 3'-UTR. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:589-600 pubmed..This suggests that the delayed muscle development in DM1 involves an interplay between the expanded CTG repeat and adjacent 3'-UTR sequences. ..
- Levine D, Iacovitti M, Robertson S, Mokhtar G. Modulation of single-nephron GFR in the db/db mouse model of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;290:R975-81 pubmed..These studies show that SNGFR is elevated in this mouse model of DM2, is suppressed by nNOS inhibition, and is modulated by TGF influences that are altered by the diabetic state and responsive to changes in extracellular fluid volume. ..
- Michaud J, Chaisson K, Parks R, Kennedy C. FSGS-associated alpha-actinin-4 (K256E) impairs cytoskeletal dynamics in podocytes. Kidney Int. 2006;70:1054-61 pubmed..Such intrinsic cytoskeletal derangements may underlie initial podocyte damage and foot process effacement encountered in ACTN4-associated FSGS. ..
- Anisman H, Prakash P, Merali Z, Poulter M. Corticotropin releasing hormone receptor alterations elicited by acute and chronic unpredictable stressor challenges in stressor-susceptible and resilient strains of mice. Behav Brain Res. 2007;181:180-90 pubmed
- Raymond C, Conlan J. Differential susceptibility of Sprague-Dawley and Fischer 344 rats to infection by Francisella tularensis. Microb Pathog. 2009;46:231-4 pubmed publisher..Thus, the rat might be a more useful model for studying innate immunity to virulent F. tularensis than other small mammals...
- Michaud J, Stitt Cavanaugh E, Endlich N, Endlich K, De Repentigny Y, Kothary R, et al. Mice with podocyte-specific overexpression of wild type alpha-actinin-4 are healthy controls for K256E-alpha-actinin-4 mutant transgenic mice. Transgenic Res. 2010;19:285-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the K256E mutation itself and not overexpression of alpha-actinin-4 protein per se accounts for the FSGS phenotype in our transgenic model. ..
- Appleton C, Pitelka V, Henry J, Beier F. Global analyses of gene expression in early experimental osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:1854-68 pubmed
- Rashidian J, Rousseaux M, Venderova K, Qu D, Callaghan S, Phillips M, et al. Essential role of cytoplasmic cdk5 and Prx2 in multiple ischemic injury models, in vivo. J Neurosci. 2009;29:12497-505 pubmed publisher..Together, our results address the critical issue of cdk5 activity compartmentalization, as well as define critical substrates for both cytoplasmic and nuclear cdk5 activity in adult models of stroke. ..
- Croissandeau G, Wahnon F, Yashpal K, Seidah N, Coderre T, Chretien M, et al. Increased stress-induced analgesia in mice lacking the proneuropeptide convertase PC2. Neurosci Lett. 2006;406:71-5 pubmed..The enhanced analgesia in PC2-null mice may be caused by an accumulation of opioid precursor processing intermediates with potent analgesic effects, or by loss of anti-opioid peptides. ..
- Weaver J, Tarze A, Moffat T, Lebras M, Deniaud A, Brenner C, et al. Inhibition of adenine nucleotide translocator pore function and protection against apoptosis in vivo by an HIV protease inhibitor. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:1828-38 pubmed
- Leonard K, Petrin D, Coupland S, Baker A, Leonard B, LaCasse E, et al. XIAP protection of photoreceptors in animal models of retinitis pigmentosa. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e314 pubmed..This strategy holds great promise for the treatment of RP, as it allows for the broad protection of photoreceptors, regardless of the initial disease causing mutation. ..
- De Repentigny Y, Côté P, Pool M, Bernier G, Girard S, Vidal S, et al. Pathological and genetic analysis of the degenerating muscle (dmu) mouse: a new allele of Scn8a. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:1819-27 pubmed..Our results suggest that at least a portion of the dmu phenotype is caused by a down-regulation of Scn8a, making dmu a new allele of Scn8a. ..
- Rogers L, Burchat S, Gage J, Hasu M, Thabet M, Willcox L, et al. Deficiency of invariant V alpha 14 natural killer T cells decreases atherosclerosis in LDL receptor null mice. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;78:167-74 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to identify a specific subpopulation of NKT cells that promotes atherosclerosis via a mechanism appearing to involve IFN-gamma expression. ..
- Hicks S, Salcido D, Logue E, Suffoletto B, Empey P, Poloyac S, et al. Lipid emulsion combined with epinephrine and vasopressin does not improve survival in a swine model of bupivacaine-induced cardiac arrest. Anesthesiology. 2009;111:138-46 pubmed publisher..6 +/- 94.4 vs.. 487.3 +/- 171.0 microg). In this swine model, lipid emulsion did not improve rates of return of spontaneous circulation after bupivacaine-induced cardiovascular collapse. ..
- De Repentigny Y, Deschenes Furry J, Jasmin B, Kothary R. Impaired fast axonal transport in neurons of the sciatic nerves from dystonia musculorum mice. J Neurochem. 2003;86:564-71 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that axonal transport of AChE in both orthograde and retrograde directions is markedly affected, and allow us to conclude that axonal transport defects do exist in the sciatic nerves of dt27J mice. ..
- Amin M, Reza E, Wang H, Leenen F. Sodium transport in the choroid plexus and salt-sensitive hypertension. Hypertension. 2009;54:860-7 pubmed publisher..Aberrant regulation of Na(+) transport and of Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase activity, but not of ENaCs, might contribute to the increase in cerebrospinal fluid [Na(+)] in Dahl salt-sensitive rats on a high-salt diet. ..
- Trudel G, Himori K, Uhthoff H. Contrasting alterations of apposed and unapposed articular cartilage during joint contracture formation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005;86:90-7 pubmed..Considering the limited potential for cartilage self-repair, these results support the need for early diagnosis and aggressive mobilization of joints that are developing contractures. ..