Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Locale: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Publications944 found, 100 shown here
- Agid R, Schaaf M, Farb R. CE-MRA for follow-up of aneurysms post stent-assisted coiling. Interv Neuroradiol. 2012;18:275-83 pubmed..Apparent stenosis of the stented parent artery on CE-MRA is often false or exaggerated. "Marker band effect" should be recognized as an artifact that appears when stent's marker bands are in a small artery. ..
- Yanagawa N, Wang A, Kohler D, Santos G, Sykes J, Xu J, et al. Human papilloma virus genome is rare in North American non-small cell lung carcinoma patients. Lung Cancer. 2013;79:215-20 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HPV is not or rarely associated with NSCLC in Canadian and most likely North American patients, and P16 immunostaining is not a surrogate marker for its presence. ..
- Atzema C, Austin P, Miller E, Chong A, Yun L, Dorian P. A population-based description of atrial fibrillation in the emergency department, 2002 to 2010. Ann Emerg Med. 2013;62:570-577.e7 pubmed publisher..Although it appears that slightly higher-risk patients are being treated in the province's EDs, fewer patients are being admitted to the hospital, and mortality rates have not increased. ..
- Reed J, Harris J, Midence L, Yee E, Grace S. Evaluating the Heart Wise Exerciseâ„¢ program: a model for safe community exercise programming. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:190 pubmed publisher..The HWE training program should emphasize that HWE leaders regularly encourage self-monitoring and daily aerobic exercise, which is well-known to reduce the burden of many chronic diseases. ..
- Yao Y, Chen Y, Adili R, McKeown T, Chen P, Zhu G, et al. Plant-based Food Cyanidin-3-Glucoside Modulates Human Platelet Glycoprotein VI Signaling and Inhibits Platelet Activation and Thrombus Formation. J Nutr. 2017;147:1917-1925 pubmed publisher..Supplementation of Cy-3-g may have protective effects against atherothrombosis. ..
- Freedman J, Rand M, Russell O, Davis C, Cheatley P, Blanchette V, et al. Immunoadsorption may provide a cost-effective approach to management of patients with inhibitors to FVIII. Transfusion. 2003;43:1508-13 pubmed..e., >Can 350,000 dollars and >Can 1,000,000 dollars vs. < 20,000 dollars). Immunoadsorption appears to be an effective and cost-effective alternative in the management of patients with inhibitors to FVIII. ..
- Ryan C, Bradley T. Periodicity of obstructive sleep apnea in patients with and without heart failure. Chest. 2005;127:536-42 pubmed..These findings further suggest that the increased tendency to periodic breathing in CHF may predispose to, or alter the physiologic manifestations of OSA. ..
- Khosravi J, Diamandi A, Bodani U, Khaja N, Krishna R. Pitfalls of immunoassay and sample for IGF-I: comparison of different assay methodologies using various fresh and stored serum samples. Clin Biochem. 2005;38:659-66 pubmed..In such cases, underestimation of the in vivo levels by the intact assays would occur, but the findings of low IGF-I levels may be indicative of questionable sample quality. ..
- Reedijk M, Pinnaduwage D, Dickson B, Mulligan A, Zhang H, Bull S, et al. JAG1 expression is associated with a basal phenotype and recurrence in lymph node-negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008;111:439-48 pubmed..As JAG1 is a target of several oncogenic signaling pathways, and is a ligand for Notch, these data provide novel insights into signaling that may contribute to progression of early stage breast cancer. ..
- Berthold D, Pond G, de Wit R, Eisenberger M, Tannock I. Survival and PSA response of patients in the TAX 327 study who crossed over to receive docetaxel after mitoxantrone or vice versa. Ann Oncol. 2008;19:1749-53 pubmed publisher..One quarter of men received crossover therapy and survival was similar in the crossover groups. The PSA response rate to docetaxel after mitoxantrone was higher than that for mitoxantrone after docetaxel. ..
- Gandhi R, Davey J, Mahomed N. Predicting patient dissatisfaction following joint replacement surgery. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:2415-8 pubmed publisher..Interventions to reduce psychological distress prior to surgery should be studied to determine if they may improve subjective outcomes of patients undergoing joint replacement surgery. ..
- Salvo N, Christakis M, Rubenstein J, de Sa E, Napolskikh J, Sinclair E, et al. The role of plain radiographs in management of bone metastases. J Palliat Med. 2009;12:195-8 pubmed publisher..However, plain x-rays can also lead to rare false-positive results. We present a case with a false-positive result in a patient with lung cancer. ..
- Tierney M, Oh P, Moineddin R, Greenblatt E, Snow W, Fisher R, et al. A randomized double-blind trial of the effects of hormone therapy on delayed verbal recall in older women. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2009;34:1065-74 pubmed publisher..HT dose and formulation may have contributed to these beneficial outcomes. Replication is warranted before recommendations can be made in the clinical setting. ..
- Siddiqui N, Katznelson R, Friedman Z. Heart rate/blood pressure response and airway morbidity following tracheal intubation with direct laryngoscopy, GlideScope and Trachlight: a randomized control trial. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2009;26:740-5 pubmed publisher..0033). There was no benefit of using any of the three intubation techniques for attenuation of haemodynamic changes. There was a higher incidence of airway symptoms associated with Trachlight intubation. ..
- Algahtani M, Alqudah M, Alshehri S, Binahmed A, Sandor G. Pathologic fracture of the mandible caused by metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma. J Can Dent Assoc. 2009;75:457-60 pubmed..This case report is intended to inform dental practitioners about pathologic fractures and the need for prompt referral to minimize patient suffering. ..
- Moskovtsev S, Mullen J, Lecker I, Jarvi K, White J, Roberts M, et al. Frequency and severity of sperm DNA damage in patients with confirmed cases of male infertility of different aetiologies. Reprod Biomed Online. 2010;20:759-63 pubmed publisher..The data support the importance of proper physical and laboratory investigations of the fertility status in men to correctly diagnose and treat male infertility...
- Rabeneck L, Saskin R, Paszat L. Onset and clinical course of bleeding and perforation after outpatient colonoscopy: a population-based study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011;73:520-3 pubmed publisher..Lack of information on medication use. After outpatient colonoscopy, use of a 14-day time period for reporting would capture all perforations and the majority (96%) of bleeds requiring hospital admission. ..
- Saposnik G, Kapral M, Liu Y, Hall R, O DONNELL M, Raptis S, et al. IScore: a risk score to predict death early after hospitalization for an acute ischemic stroke. Circulation. 2011;123:739-49 pubmed publisher..The predictive score may assist clinicians in estimating stroke mortality risk and policymakers in providing a quantitative tool to compare facilities. ..
- Chapman K, Fogarty C, Peckitt C, Lassen C, Jadayel D, Dederichs J, et al. Delivery characteristics and patients' handling of two single-dose dry-powder inhalers used in COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2011;6:353-63 pubmed publisher..These are important factors for optimum dose delivery and successful COPD management. ..
- Jassal S, Kelman E, Watson D. Non-dialysis care: an important component of care for elderly individuals with advanced stages of chronic kidney disease. Nephron Clin Pract. 2011;119 Suppl 1:c5-9 pubmed publisher..Outcomes are fair with a significant proportion of NDC patients experiencing lower hospitalization days and higher rates of death at home (or in a preferred environment) rather than in acute-care hospitals. ..
- Kachuri L, Demers P, Blair A, Spinelli J, Pahwa M, McLaughlin J, et al. Multiple pesticide exposures and the risk of multiple myeloma in Canadian men. Int J Cancer. 2013;133:1846-58 pubmed publisher..Significant associations observed for certain chemical classes and individual pesticides suggest that these may be MM risk factors. ..
- Honein AbouHaidar G, Baxter N, Moineddin R, Urbach D, Rabeneck L, Bierman A. Trends and inequities in colorectal cancer screening participation in Ontario, Canada, 2005-2011. Cancer Epidemiol. 2013;37:946-56 pubmed publisher..Future efforts are needed to improve screening participation and address inequities. ..
- Marques A, JÃ¡come C, Cruz J, Gabriel R, Brooks D, Figueiredo D. Family-based psychosocial support and education as part of pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD: a randomized controlled trial. Chest. 2015;147:662-672 pubmed publisher..001). This research supports family-based PR programs to enhance coping and psychosocial adjustment to illness of the family system. ClinicalTrials.gov; No.: NCT02048306; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Marotta P, Bailey R, Elkashab M, Farley J, Feinman S, Peltekian K, et al. Real-world effectiveness of peginterferon Î±-2b plus ribavirin in a Canadian cohort of treatment-naÃ¯ve chronic hepatitis C patients with genotypes 2 or 3: results of the PoWer and RediPEN studies. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:597-609 pubmed publisher..Fibrosis score and gender were key outcome predictors in the G3-infected population. In clinical settings, peg-INF/RBV offers an alternative for patients without access to all oral direct-acting antivirals. ..
- Mackenzie I, Nicholson A, Sarkar M, Messing J, Purice M, Pottier C, et al. TIA1 Mutations in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Dementia Promote Phase Separation and Alter Stress Granule Dynamics. Neuron. 2017;95:808-816.e9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, TDP-43 in SGs became less mobile and insoluble. The identification of TIA1 mutations in ALS/FTD reinforces the importance of RNA metabolism and SG dynamics in ALS/FTD pathogenesis. ..
- Warner E, Crighton E, Moineddin R, Mamdani M, Upshur R. Fourteen-year study of hospital admissions for diverticular disease in Ontario. Can J Gastroenterol. 2007;21:97-9 pubmed..Diverticular disease is an important cause of gastrointestinal morbidity. As the population ages, a rise in the incidence of diverticular disease can be anticipated. Future studies to explain sex difference in admissions are required. ..
- Canizares M, MacKay C, Davis A, Mahomed N, Badley E. A population-based study of ambulatory and surgical services provided by orthopaedic surgeons for musculoskeletal conditions. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9:56 pubmed publisher..Policy makers and orthopaedic surgeons need to be creative in developing strategies to accommodate the growing workload of orthopaedic surgeons without sacrificing quality of care of patients with musculoskeletal conditions. ..
- Venkataraman S, Hudson C, Rachmiel R, Buys Y, Markowitz S, Fisher J, et al. Retinal arteriolar vascular reactivity in untreated and progressive primary open-angle glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:2043-50 pubmed publisher..Conclusions. A reduced magnitude of arteriolar vascular reactivity in response to normoxic hypercapnia was shown in uPOAG and in pPOAG. Vascular reactivity improved after dorzolamide treatment in POAG. ..
- Barker E, Cervigne N, Reis P, Goswami R, Xu W, Weinreb I, et al. microRNA evaluation of unknown primary lesions in the head and neck. Mol Cancer. 2009;8:127 pubmed publisher..This may be clinically relevant to predict the primary site of origin of metastatic disease, when the primary site remains obscure. ..
- Wong J, Kendall C, de Souza R, Emam A, Marchie A, Vidgen E, et al. The effect on the blood lipid profile of soy foods combined with a prebiotic: a randomized controlled trial. Metabolism. 2010;59:1331-40 pubmed publisher..Coingestion of a prebiotic may potentiate the effectiveness of soy foods as part of the dietary strategy to lower serum cholesterol. ..
- Crook J, Gomez Iturriaga A, Wallace K, Ma C, Fung S, Alibhai S, et al. Comparison of health-related quality of life 5 years after SPIRIT: Surgical Prostatectomy Versus Interstitial Radiation Intervention Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:362-8 pubmed publisher..HRQOL evaluated 3.2 to 6.5 years after treatment showed an advantage for BT in urinary and sexual domains and in patient satisfaction. ..
- Popovic M, Kapadia N, Zivanovic V, Furlan J, Craven B, McGillivray C. Functional electrical stimulation therapy of voluntary grasping versus only conventional rehabilitation for patients with subacute incomplete tetraplegia: a randomized clinical trial. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2011;25:433-42 pubmed publisher..No longer term follow-up was feasible. FET significantly reduced disability and improved voluntary grasping beyond the effects of considerable conventional upper extremity therapy in individuals with tetraplegia. ..
- Carter T, Hall H, McIntosh G, Murphy J, Macdougall J, Boyle C. Intertester reliability of a classification system for shoulder pain. Physiotherapy. 2012;98:40-6 pubmed publisher..To describe and determine the intertester reliability of a newly developed classification system of shoulder syndrome recognition...
- Zimmermann C, Swami N, Krzyzanowska M, Hannon B, Leighl N, Oza A, et al. Early palliative care for patients with advanced cancer: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2014;383:1721-30 pubmed publisher..Patients with advanced cancer have reduced quality of life, which tends to worsen towards the end of life. We assessed the effect of early palliative care in patients with advanced cancer on several aspects of quality of life...
- Cairns J, Epstein A, Rickard J, Connolly S, Buller C, Wilkoff B, et al. Prospective long-term evaluation of Optim-insulated (Riata ST Optim and Durata) implantable cardioverter-defibrillator leads. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:2156-62 pubmed publisher..Independent analyses of these registries are designed to provide reliable long-term follow-up information and are ongoing. ..
- Khera R, Cram P, Vaughan Sarrazin M, Horwitz P, Girotra S. Use of Mechanical Circulatory Support in Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in the United States. Am J Cardiol. 2016;117:10-6 pubmed publisher..Unadjusted mortality using PVADs is lower than IABP but may be due to their selective use in patients at lower risk. Randomized trials are necessary to establish their effectiveness in supporting high-risk PCI. ..
- Mete O, Gomez Hernandez K, Kucharczyk W, Ridout R, Zadeh G, Gentili F, et al. Silent subtype 3 pituitary adenomas are not always silent and represent poorly differentiated monomorphous plurihormonal Pit-1 lineage adenomas. Mod Pathol. 2016;29:131-42 pubmed publisher..Our findings argue against the use of the nomenclature 'silent' for these tumors. To better reflect the characteristics of these tumors, we propose that they be classified as 'poorly differentiated Pit-1 lineage adenomas'. ..
- Masmiquel L, Leiter L, Vidal J, Bain S, Petrie J, Franek E, et al. LEADER 5: prevalence and cardiometabolic impact of obesity in cardiovascular high-risk patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: baseline global data from the LEADER trial. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15:29 pubmed publisher..LEADER confers a unique opportunity to explore the longitudinal effect of weight on CV risk factors and hard endpoints. ..
- Strauss I, Taha K, Krishna V, Hodaie M. Younger age predicts greater effectiveness of spinal cord stimulation for chronic pain. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2016;158:999-1003 pubmed publisher..Earlier intervention may be beneficial in these chronic pain patients. ..
- Jewett L, Kwakkenbos L, Carrier M, Malcarne V, Bartlett S, Furst D, et al. Examination of the association of sex and race/ethnicity with appearance concerns: a Scleroderma Patient-centered Intervention Network (SPIN) Cohort study. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016;34 Suppl 100:92-99 pubmed..Although non-significant in multivariate analysis, Black patients were more likely to have concerns than White patients, likely due to more severe changes in appearance. ..
- Pavel M, Singh S, Strosberg J, Bubuteishvili Pacaud L, Degtyarev E, Neary M, et al. Health-related quality of life for everolimus versus placebo in patients with advanced, non-functional, well-differentiated gastrointestinal or lung neuroendocrine tumours (RADIANT-4): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phas. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1411-1422 pubmed publisher..Novartis Pharmaceuticals. ..
- Tsang R, Gospodarowicz M, Pintilie M, Bezjak A, Wells W, Hodgson D, et al. Solitary plasmacytoma treated with radiotherapy: impact of tumor size on outcome. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001;50:113-20 pubmed..Large tumor bulk locally (> or =5 cm) predicts for local failure. Combined chemotherapy and RT should be investigated in these high-risk patients to increase the local control rate and the cure rate. ..
- Pinthus J, Haddad R, Trachtenberg J, Holowaty E, Bowler J, Herzenberg A, et al. Population based survival data on urachal tumors. J Urol. 2006;175:2042-7; discussion 2047 pubmed..Covariates associated with better disease specific survival are well differentiated tumor grade and the absence of adjacent organ or peritoneal involvement. No relapses were observed after 7 years. ..
- Ishkanian A, Mallof C, Ho J, Meng A, Albert M, Syed A, et al. High-resolution array CGH identifies novel regions of genomic alteration in intermediate-risk prostate cancer. Prostate. 2009;69:1091-100 pubmed publisher..These unexpected findings suggest that the intermediate-risk category is a crucial cohort warranting further study to determine if a unique molecular fingerprint can predict aggressive versus indolent phenotypes. ..
- Dent R, Hanna W, Trudeau M, Rawlinson E, Sun P, Narod S. Time to disease recurrence in basal-type breast cancers: effects of tumor size and lymph node status. Cancer. 2009;115:4917-23 pubmed publisher..However, women with large basal tumors appeared to develop recurrent disease sooner. Cancer 2009. (c) 2009 American Cancer Society. ..
- Ley S, Harris S, Connelly P, Mamakeesick M, Gittelsohn J, Wolever T, et al. Association of apolipoprotein B with incident type 2 diabetes in an aboriginal Canadian population. Clin Chem. 2010;56:666-70 pubmed publisher..The association of plasma apo B with incident type 2 diabetes and its better prediction of risk compared with LDL or HDL cholesterol suggest the potential for the use of apo B in type 2 diabetes risk communication and prevention. ..
- Sawyer J, Haslam L, Daines P, Stilos K. Pain prevalence study in a large Canadian teaching hospital. Round 2: lessons learned?. Pain Manag Nurs. 2010;11:45-55 pubmed publisher..Only 50% of patients studied on the medical units had a PRN opioid order. These results reinforce those of our original prevalence study, specifically, that pain is not well controlled at our institution. ..
- Lofters A, Moineddin R, Hwang S, Glazier R. Low rates of cervical cancer screening among urban immigrants: a population-based study in Ontario, Canada. Med Care. 2010;48:611-8 pubmed publisher..Efforts to reduce disparities in cervical cancer screening should focus on women with these characteristics. ..
- Kuk J, Ardern C. Age and sex differences in the clustering of metabolic syndrome factors: association with mortality risk. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2457-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, metabolic syndrome used as a whole may mask important differences in assessing health and mortality risk. ..
- Narayanan R, Cardella C, Cattran D, Cole E, Tinckam K, Schiff J, et al. Delayed graft function and the risk of death with graft function in living donor kidney transplant recipients. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010;56:961-70 pubmed publisher..The impact of lesser decreases in early graft function could not be evaluated. DGF is associated with an increased risk of DWGF in living donor kidney recipients. The mechanisms underlying this relation require further study. ..
- Savage R, Whelan M, Johnson I, Rea E, Lafreniere M, Rosella L, et al. Assessing secondary attack rates among household contacts at the beginning of the influenza A (H1N1) pandemic in Ontario, Canada, April-June 2009: a prospective, observational study. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:234 pubmed publisher..High secondary attack rates in children provide additional support for increased susceptibility to infection. ..
- Tricco A, Ivers N, Grimshaw J, Moher D, Turner L, Galipeau J, et al. Effectiveness of quality improvement strategies on the management of diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet. 2012;379:2252-61 pubmed publisher..Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care and the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research (now Alberta Innovates--Health Solutions). ..
- Haas B, Stukel T, Gomez D, Zagorski B, de Mestral C, Sharma S, et al. The mortality benefit of direct trauma center transport in a regional trauma system: a population-based analysis. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012;72:1510-5; discussion 1515-7 pubmed publisher..Taking a novel, population-based approach, we estimated the potential detrimental impact of undertriage to a non-TC (NTC) within a regional system...
- Allibhai Z, Taremi M, Bezjak A, Brade A, Hope A, Sun A, et al. The impact of tumor size on outcomes after stereotactic body radiation therapy for medically inoperable early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013;87:1064-70 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest these patients may benefit from more extensive staging or consideration of adjuvant therapy. ..
- Gollub M, Grewal R, Panu N, Thipphavong S, Sohn M, Zheng J, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of ¹?F-FDG PET/CT for detection of advanced colorectal adenoma. Clin Radiol. 2014;69:611-8 pubmed publisher..To determine the accuracy of 2-[(18)F]-fluoro-2-deoxy-d-glucose (FDG) positron-emission tomography (PET) in the detection of advanced colorectal adenomas...
- Perruccio A, Gandhi R, Lau J, Syed K, Mahomed N, Rampersaud Y. Cross-Sectional Contrast Between Individuals With Foot/Ankle vs Knee Osteoarthritis for Obesity and Low Education on Health-Related Quality of Life. Foot Ankle Int. 2016;37:24-32 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we recommend joint-specific patient education, with a particular emphasis on patient characteristics among the foot/ankle OA population. Level III, retrospective comparative study. ..
- Sun M, Sun R, Tseng S. Is single incision midurethral sling effective in patients with low maximal urethral closure pressure?. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2016;55:20-5 pubmed publisher..4 months. Evaluation of the outcomes with more subjects after a longer follow-up period is necessary. ..
- Mason S, Nathens A, Byrne J, Ellis J, Fowler R, Gonzalez A, et al. Association Between Burn Injury and Mental Illness among Burn Survivors: A Population-Based, Self-Matched, Longitudinal Cohort Study. J Am Coll Surg. 2017;225:516-524 pubmed publisher..An increased rate immediately before burn suggests an opportunity for injury prevention through mental healthcare. ..
- Dill Macky M, Burns P, Khalili K, Wilson S. Focal hepatic masses: enhancement patterns with SH U 508A and pulse-inversion US. Radiology. 2002;222:95-102 pubmed..SH U 508A-enhanced pulse-inversion interval-delay flash and postvascular phase imaging are helpful in differential diagnosis of focal hepatic lesions. ..
- Luo L, Diamandis E, Look M, Soosaipillai A, Foekens J. Higher expression of human kallikrein 10 in breast cancer tissue predicts tamoxifen resistance. Br J Cancer. 2002;86:1790-6 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that although human kallikrein 6 and human kallikrein 10 are not prognostic markers for breast cancer, human kallikrein 10 is an independent predictive marker for response of tamoxifen therapy. ..
- Fitzgerald T, Smith A, Ryan M, Atri M, Wright F, Law C, et al. Surgical treatment of incidentally identified pancreatic masses. Can J Surg. 2003;46:413-8 pubmed..Unless the diagnosis of serous cystadenoma is certain, surgical resection should be considered in low-risk patients in whom pancreatic masses are found incidentally. ..
- Serra S, Asa S, Chetty R. Intracytoplasmic inclusions (including the so-called "rhabdoid" phenotype) in pancreatic endocrine tumors. Endocr Pathol. 2006;17:75-81 pubmed..This phenotype, in particular the rhabdoid cells, is worthy of attention as a proportion may show lymphovascular invasion with evidence of metastasis at the time of presentation, irrespective of size, mitotic rates, or necrosis...
- Akbari M, Ghadirian P, Robidoux A, Foumani M, Sun Y, Royer R, et al. Germline RAP80 mutations and susceptibility to breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009;113:377-81 pubmed publisher..A novel RAP80 haplotype or rare missense mutations may be associated with a modest increased risk of breast cancer, but this observation needs to be confirmed by additional studies. ..
- Hadi S, Fan G, Hird A, Kirou Mauro A, Filipczak L, Chow E. Symptom clusters in patients with cancer with metastatic bone pain. J Palliat Med. 2008;11:591-600 pubmed publisher..By treating a patient's symptom of worst pain, it would subsequently ease their response burden on their daily functional activities by decreasing symptom severity, increasing function, and improving overall quality of life. ..
- Furlan J, Bracken M, Fehlings M. Is age a key determinant of mortality and neurological outcome after acute traumatic spinal cord injury?. Neurobiol Aging. 2010;31:434-46 pubmed publisher..Treatment protocols for SCI need to identify preventable predictors of mortality in the elderly post-SCI, recognizing that the potential for neurological recovery among elderly survivors of SCI is similar to that of younger individuals. ..
- Seow C, Stempak J, Xu W, Lan H, Griffiths A, Greenberg G, et al. Novel anti-glycan antibodies related to inflammatory bowel disease diagnosis and phenotype. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104:1426-34 pubmed publisher..06-3.59; P=0.03). Anti-L and anti-C improve differentiation between CD and UC. Anti-L may also differentiate between isolated colonic CD and UC. Both anti-L and anti-C are independently associated with a more aggressive CD phenotype. ..
- Lakstein D, Kosashvili Y, Backstein D, Safir O, Gross A. Modified extended trochanteric osteotomy with preservation of posterior structures. Hip Int. 2010;20:102-8 pubmed..Six stems (6%) needed revision for loosening. There was one case (1%) of osteotomy nonunion, and one case (1%) of greater trochanteric fragment nonunion and escape. Four patients (4%) dislocated postoperatively...
- Gordon A, Callaghan D, Spink D, Cloutier C, Dzongowski P, O Mahony W, et al. Buprenorphine transdermal system in adults with chronic low back pain: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study, followed by an open-label extension phase. Clin Ther. 2010;32:844-60 pubmed publisher..The improvements in pain scores were sustained throughout the 6-month, open-label extension. (Current Controlled Trials identification number: ISRCTN 06013881). ..
- Olkhov Mitsel E, van der Kwast T, Kron K, Ozcelik H, Briollais L, Massey C, et al. Quantitative DNA methylation analysis of genes coding for kallikrein-related peptidases 6 and 10 as biomarkers for prostate cancer. Epigenetics. 2012;7:1037-45 pubmed..A similar trend for KLK6 DNA methylation was observed. The results suggest that KLK6 and KLK10 DNA methylation distinguishes organ confined from locally invasive PCa and may have prognostic value. ..
- Senst N, Llacuachaqui M, Lubinski J, Lynch H, Armel S, Neuhausen S, et al. Parental origin of mutation and the risk of breast cancer in a prospective study of women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation. Clin Genet. 2013;84:43-6 pubmed publisher..However, the data are not sufficiently compelling to justify different screening recommendations for the two subgroups. ..
- Fox M, Persaud M, Maimets I, O Brien K, Brooks D, Tregunno D, et al. Effectiveness of acute geriatric unit care using acute care for elders components: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012;60:2237-45 pubmed publisher..Acute geriatric unit care, based on all or part of the ACE model and introduced during the acute phase of older adults' illness or injury, improves patient- and system-level outcomes. ..
- Demsky R, McCuaig J, Maganti M, Murphy K, Rosen B, Armel S. Keeping it simple: genetics referrals for all invasive serous ovarian cancers. Gynecol Oncol. 2013;130:329-33 pubmed publisher..Over time, an improvement in the proportion of women being seen for genetic counseling was noted; however barriers to seeing women with a later age at diagnosis or those with no family history of breast or ovarian cancer clearly exist. ..
- Xi Z, Zinman L, Moreno D, Schymick J, Liang Y, Sato C, et al. Hypermethylation of the CpG island near the G4C2 repeat in ALS with a C9orf72 expansion. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;92:981-9 pubmed publisher..Our study raises several important questions for the future investigation of large data sets, such as whether the degree of methylation corresponds to clinical presentation (ALS versus FTLD). ..
- Nakajima S, Uchida H, Bies R, Caravaggio F, Suzuki T, Plitman E, et al. Dopamine D2/3 Receptor Occupancy Following Dose Reduction Is Predictable With Minimal Plasma Antipsychotic Concentrations: An Open-Label Clinical Trial. Schizophr Bull. 2016;42:212-9 pubmed publisher..Although this 2-step model is subject to a small degree of error, it could be used to select oral doses aimed at achieving optimal D2/3R occupancy on an individual basis. ..
- Ruban T, Jacob B, Pope J, Keystone E, Bombardier C, Kuriya B. The influence of age at disease onset on disease activity and disability: results from the Ontario Best Practices Research Initiative. Clin Rheumatol. 2016;35:759-63 pubmed publisher..This may have implications for future response to therapy and development of joint damage, disability, and comorbidities in this group. ..
- Udell J, Bonaca M, Collet J, Lincoff A, Kereiakes D, Costa F, et al. Long-term dual antiplatelet therapy for secondary prevention of cardiovascular events in the subgroup of patients with previous myocardial infarction: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomized trials. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:390-9 pubmed publisher..Dual antiplatelet therapy beyond 1 year increases major bleeding, but not fatal bleeding or non-cardiovascular death. ..
- Rahman W, Vial T, Backstein D. Distal Femoral Arthroplasty for Management of Periprosthetic Supracondylar Fractures of the Femur. J Arthroplasty. 2016;31:676-9 pubmed publisher..Distal femoral arthroplasty is a successful procedure. Complication rates are not insignificant, which is expected with the complexity of this clinical scenario. ..
- Amiche M, Albaum J, Tadrous M, Pechlivanoglou P, LÃ©vesque L, Adachi J, et al. Fracture risk in oral glucocorticoid users: a Bayesian meta-regression leveraging control arms of osteoporosis clinical trials. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:1709-18 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that fracture incidence among oral GC users may be more common than previously estimated. Optimizing GC-induced osteoporosis management during early exposure to GC is essential to prevent fractures. ..
- Dehghani P, Habib B, Windle S, Roy N, Old W, Grondin F, et al. Smokers and Postcessation Weight Gain After Acute Coronary Syndrome. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00794573. ..
- Templeton A, Vera Badillo F, Wang L, Attalla M, De Gouveia P, Leibowitz Amit R, et al. Translating clinical trials to clinical practice: outcomes of men with metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer treated with docetaxel and prednisone in and out of clinical trials. Ann Oncol. 2013;24:2972-7 pubmed publisher..Survival of patients with mCRPC treated with docetaxel in routine practice is shorter than for men included in trials and is associated with more toxicity. ..
- Gatov E, Rosella L, Chiu M, Kurdyak P. Trends in standardized mortality among individuals with schizophrenia, 1993-2012: a population-based, repeated cross-sectional study. CMAJ. 2017;189:E1177-E1187 pubmed publisher..Although mortality rates among people with schizophrenia have declined over the past 2 decades, specialized approaches may be required to close the persistent 3-fold relative mortality gap with the general population. ..