Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Locale: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Connolly M, Hall B. Embryonic heat shock reveals latent hsp90 translation in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Int J Dev Biol. 2008;52:71-9 pubmed
- Sharma M, Denovan Wright E, Degrave A, Thisse C, Thisse B, Wright J. Sequence, linkage mapping and early developmental expression of the intestinal-type fatty acid-binding protein gene (fabp2) from zebrafish (Danio rerio). Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;138:391-8 pubmed..Expression in YSL, liver or pancreas has not been previously reported for fish or mammalian I-FABP genes and may be related to specific physiological differences between fishes and mammals. ..
- Sharma M, Saxena V, Liu R, Thisse C, Thisse B, Denovan Wright E, et al. Differential expression of the duplicated cellular retinoic acid-binding protein 2 genes (crabp2a and crabp2b) during zebrafish embryonic development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;5:371-9 pubmed
- Karanth S, Lall S, Denovan Wright E, Wright J. Differential transcriptional modulation of duplicated fatty acid-binding protein genes by dietary fatty acids in zebrafish (Danio rerio): evidence for subfunctionalization or neofunctionalization of duplicated genes. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:219 pubmed publisher
- Forrester A, Grabher C, McBride E, Boyd E, Vigerstad M, Edgar A, et al. NUP98-HOXA9-transgenic zebrafish develop a myeloproliferative neoplasm and provide new insight into mechanisms of myeloid leukaemogenesis. Br J Haematol. 2011;155:167-81 pubmed publisher..This tool provides a unique opportunity for high-throughput in vivo chemical modifier screens to identify novel therapeutic agents in high risk AML. ..
- Sharma M, Liu R, Thisse C, Thisse B, Denovan Wright E, Wright J. Hierarchical subfunctionalization of fabp1a, fabp1b and fabp10 tissue-specific expression may account for retention of these duplicated genes in the zebrafish (Danio rerio) genome. FEBS J. 2006;273:3216-29 pubmed
- Da as S, Coombs A, Balci T, Grondin C, Ferrando A, Berman J. The zebrafish reveals dependence of the mast cell lineage on Notch signaling in vivo. Blood. 2012;119:3585-94 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these findings postulate targeting the Notch pathway as a therapeutic strategy in mast cell diseases. ..
- Venkatachalam A, Lall S, Denovan Wright E, Wright J. Tissue-specific differential induction of duplicated fatty acid-binding protein genes by the peroxisome proliferator, clofibrate, in zebrafish (Danio rerio). BMC Evol Biol. 2012;12:112 pubmed publisher..1/fabp1b.2, fabp7a/fabp7b, fabp10a/fabp10b and fabp11a/fabp11b in zebrafish fed different concentrations of clofibrate...
- Liu R, Denovan Wright E, Degrave A, Thisse C, Thisse B, Wright J. Differential expression of duplicated genes for brain-type fatty acid-binding proteins (fabp7a and fabp7b) during early development of the CNS in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:379-87 pubmed..In addition to being expressed in the developing brain and retina, zebrafish fabp7b mRNA was also detected in the swim bladder and pharynx during the embryonic to larval transitory phase. ..
- Parmar M, Shams R, Wright J. Genomic organization and transcription of the medaka and zebrafish cellular retinol-binding protein (rbp) genes. Mar Genomics. 2013;11:1-10 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the tissue-specific regulations of rbp7a and rbp7b genes have diverged markedly in medaka and zebrafish since the teleost-specific WGD. ..
- Sharma M, Denovan Wright E, Boudreau M, Wright J. A cellular retinoic acid-binding protein from zebrafish (Danio rerio): cDNA sequence, phylogenetic analysis, mRNA expression, and gene linkage mapping. Gene. 2003;311:119-28 pubmed..Based on phylogenetic analysis and the syntenic relationship to the CRABPII gene in human, the zebrafish cDNA clone appears to code for a type II CRABP. ..
- Cameron M, Denovan Wright E, Sharma M, Wright J. Cellular retinol-binding protein type II (CRBPII) in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). cDNA sequence, tissue-specific expression and gene linkage analysis. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:4685-92 pubmed
- Denovan Wright E, Pierce M, Wright J. Nucleotide sequence of cDNA clones coding for a brain-type fatty acid binding protein and its tissue-specific expression in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1492:221-6 pubmed..In situ hybridization revealed that the B-FABP mRNA was expressed in the periventricular gray zone of the optic tectum of the adult zebrafish brain. ..
- Venkatachalam A, Sawler D, Wright J. Tissue-specific transcriptional modulation of fatty acid-binding protein genes, fabp2, fabp3 and fabp6, by fatty acids and the peroxisome proliferator, clofibrate, in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Gene. 2013;520:14-21 pubmed publisher..Moreover, transcriptional induction of these fabp genes by dietary FAs and/or clofibrate is over-ridden by a tissue-specific mechanism(s), e.g., transcriptional activator or repressor proteins. ..
- Parmar M, Wright J. Comparative genomic organization and tissue-specific transcription of the duplicated fabp7 and fabp10 genes in teleost fishes. Genome. 2013;56:691-701 pubmed publisher..The tissue-specific distribution of fabp7a, fabp7b, fabp10a, and fabp10b transcripts provides evidence of diverged spatial transcriptional regulation between ohnologous gene duplicates of fabp7 and fabp10 in teleost fishes. ..
- Da as S, Teh E, Dobson J, Nasrallah G, McBride E, Wang H, et al. Zebrafish mast cells possess an Fc?RI-like receptor and participate in innate and adaptive immune responses. Dev Comp Immunol. 2011;35:125-34 pubmed publisher..03, 0.010, respectively). These results confirm functional conservation and validate the zebrafish model as an in vivo screening tool for novel MC modulating agents. ..
- Karanth S, Denovan Wright E, Thisse C, Thisse B, Wright J. Tandem duplication of the fabp1b gene and subsequent divergence of the tissue-specific distribution of fabp1b.1 and fabp1b.2 transcripts in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Genome. 2009;52:985-92 pubmed publisher..e., by neofunctionalization. Furthermore, these functions were subsequently divided between fabp1b.1 and fabp1b.2 owing to subfunctionalization. ..
- Venkatachalam A, Thisse C, Thisse B, Wright J. Differential tissue-specific distribution of transcripts for the duplicated fatty acid-binding protein 10 (fabp10) genes in embryos, larvae and adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). FEBS J. 2009;276:6787-97 pubmed publisher..This differential tissue distribution of transcripts for the duplicated fabp10 genes suggests considerable divergence of their cis-acting regulatory elements since their duplication. ..
- Laprairie R, Denovan Wright E, Wright J. Differential regulation of the duplicated fabp7, fabp10 and fabp11 genes of zebrafish by peroxisome proliferator activated receptors. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;213:81-90 pubmed publisher..This work provides a framework to account for the evolutionary trajectories that led to the high retention (57%) of duplicated fabp genes in the zebrafish genome compared to only ~3% of all duplicated genes in the zebrafish genome. ..
- Dobson J, Seibert J, Teh E, Da as S, Fraser R, Paw B, et al. Carboxypeptidase A5 identifies a novel mast cell lineage in the zebrafish providing new insight into mast cell fate determination. Blood. 2008;112:2969-72 pubmed publisher..1, but not gata-1 or fog-1, are necessary for early MC development. These studies validate the zebrafish as an in vivo tool for studying MC ontogeny and function with future capacity for modeling human MC diseases. ..
- Robertson G, McGee C, Dumbarton T, Croll R, Smith F. Development of the swimbladder and its innervation in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. J Morphol. 2007;268:967-85 pubmed
- Liu R, Saxena V, Sharma M, Thisse C, Thisse B, Denovan Wright E, et al. The fabp4 gene of zebrafish (Danio rerio)--genomic homology with the mammalian FABP4 and divergence from the zebrafish fabp3 in developmental expression. FEBS J. 2007;274:1621-33 pubmed..Differentiation in developmental regulation of zebrafish fabp4 and fabp3 gene transcription suggests distinct functions for these two paralogous genes in vertebrate development. ..
- Finney J, Robertson G, McGee C, Smith F, Croll R. Structure and autonomic innervation of the swim bladder in the zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Comp Neurol. 2006;495:587-606 pubmed..Our results suggest that the zebrafish swim bladder is a complex and richly innervated organ and that buoyancy-regulating effectors may be controlled by multiple populations of autonomic neurons...
- Liu R, Sun Q, Thisse C, Thisse B, Wright J, Denovan Wright E. The cellular retinol-binding protein genes are duplicated and differentially transcribed in the developing and adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Mol Biol Evol. 2005;22:469-77 pubmed
- Pierce M, Wang Y, Denovan Wright E, Wright J. Nucleotide sequence of a cDNA clone coding for an intestinal-type fatty acid binding protein and its tissue-specific expression in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1490:175-83 pubmed..In situ hybridization revealed that the I-FABP mRNA was expressed exclusively in the intestine of the adult zebrafish. ..
- Belliveau D, Venkatachalam A, Thisse C, Thisse B, Ma H, Wright J. The duplicated retinol-binding protein 7 (rbp7) genes are differentially transcribed in embryos and adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Gene Expr Patterns. 2010;10:167-76 pubmed publisher..The distribution of rbp7a and rbp7b transcripts in embryos and adult zebrafish indicate that the cis-elements that control the transcriptional regulation of the rbp7a and rbp7b genes have diverged considerably since their duplication. ..
- Lindsey B, Smith F, Croll R. From inflation to flotation: contribution of the swimbladder to whole-body density and swimming depth during development of the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Zebrafish. 2010;7:85-96 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrated that the contribution of the swimbladder keeps the fish within 1.7% of neutral buoyancy throughout larval development. ..
- Liu R, Denovan Wright E, Degrave A, Thisse C, Thisse B, Wright J. Spatio-temporal distribution of cellular retinol-binding protein gene transcripts (CRBPI and CRBPII) in the developing and adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:339-48 pubmed
- Liu R, Denovan Wright E, Wright J. Structure, linkage mapping and expression of the heart-type fatty acid-binding protein gene (fabp3 ) from zebrafish (Danio rerio). Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:3223-34 pubmed..Inspection of the 5' upstream sequence of the zebrafish fabp3 gene revealed a number of cis elements that may be involved in the expression of the zebrafish fabp3 gene in oocytes and liver. ..
- Handrigan G. Concordia discors: duality in the origin of the vertebrate tail. J Anat. 2003;202:255-67 pubmed
- Lindsey B, Dumbarton T, Moorman S, Smith F, Croll R. Effects of simulated microgravity on the development of the swimbladder and buoyancy control in larval zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol. 2011;315:302-13 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that, despite a transient delay in swimbladder inflation in zebrafish larvae exposed to SMG, subsequent swimbladder development in these animals proceeded similarly to that in normal larvae. ..
- Liu R, Sharma M, Sun Q, Thisse C, Thisse B, Denovan Wright E, et al. Retention of the duplicated cellular retinoic acid-binding protein 1 genes (crabp1a and crabp1b) in the zebrafish genome by subfunctionalization of tissue-specific expression. FEBS J. 2005;272:3561-71 pubmed..The differential and complementary expression patterns of the zebrafish crabp1a and crabp1b genes imply that subfunctionalization may be the mechanism for the retention of both crabp1 duplicated genes in the zebrafish genome. ..