Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Locale: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Publications337 found, 100 shown here
- Bapteste E, Susko E, Leigh J, Macleod D, Charlebois R, Doolittle W. Do orthologous gene phylogenies really support tree-thinking?. BMC Evol Biol. 2005;5:33 pubmed..These results have important conceptual and practical implications. We argue that representations other than a tree should be investigated in this case because a non-critical concatenation of markers could be highly misleading. ..
- Aubin C, Linsdell P. Positive charges at the intracellular mouth of the pore regulate anion conduction in the CFTR chloride channel. J Gen Physiol. 2006;128:535-45 pubmed..These results suggest that positively charged arginine residues act to concentrate Cl(-) ions at the inner mouth of the CFTR pore, and that this contributes to maximization of the rate of Cl(-) ion permeation through the pore. ..
- Mitchell P, McLeod R. Conjugated linoleic acid and atherosclerosis: studies in animal models. Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;86:293-301 pubmed publisher..This review will examine the evidence for and against a role for CLA in atherosclerosis, with a focus on the rabbit, the hamster, and the apoE-deficient mouse. ..
- Yang Y, Chen W, Carrigan S, Chen W, Roth K, Akiyama T, et al. TRAF6 specifically contributes to FcepsilonRI-mediated cytokine production but not mast cell degranulation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:32110-8 pubmed publisher..These results identified TRAF6 as an important signal transducer in FcepsilonRI-mediated signaling in mast cells. Our findings implicate TRAF6 as a new adaptor/regulator molecule for allergen-mediated inflammation in allergy. ..
- Gareau A, Hirsch G, Lee T, Nashan B. Contribution of B cells and antibody to cardiac allograft vasculopathy. Transplantation. 2009;88:470-7 pubmed publisher..Of interest, we found that the neointimal lesions of B-cell-deficient mice and mice that received antibody showed the presence of alpha-actin in myofibroblasts. ..
- French A, Torkkeli P, Schuckel J. Dynamic characterization of Drosophila antennal olfactory neurons indicates multiple opponent signaling pathways in odor discrimination. J Neurosci. 2011;31:861-9 pubmed publisher..Each odorant caused opposing excitatory and inhibitory signals to be sent to the antennal lobe along at least two pairs of axonal pathways...
- Qian F, El Hiani Y, Linsdell P. Functional arrangement of the 12th transmembrane region in the CFTR chloride channel pore based on functional investigation of a cysteine-less CFTR variant. Pflugers Arch. 2011;462:559-71 pubmed publisher..We also propose a mechanism by which these seemingly structurally symmetrical TMs make asymmetric contributions to the functional properties of the channel pore. ..
- ..Studying how parasites influence host behaviour will also help us integrate genomic, proteomic and neurophysiological perspectives on behaviour...
- Wojtowicz M, Day V, McGrath P. Predictors of participant retention in a guided online self-help program for university students: prospective cohort study. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e96 pubmed publisher..004). Participants' age, level of perceived behavioral control, and choice of interaction (ie, phone-based or email-based coaching) were found to influence retention in this online-based program. ..
- Bar Klein G, Lublinsky S, Kamintsky L, Noyman I, Veksler R, Dalipaj H, et al. Imaging blood-brain barrier dysfunction as a biomarker for epileptogenesis. Brain. 2017;140:1692-1705 pubmed publisher..We suggest quantitative assessment of blood-brain barrier pathology as a clinically relevant predictive, diagnostic and pharmaco!dynamics biomarker for acquired epilepsy. ..
- Sawynok J, Reid A, Nance D. Spinal antinociception by adenosine analogs and morphine after intrathecal administration of the neurotoxins capsaicin, 6-hydroxydopamine and 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1991;258:370-80 pubmed
- Duncan R, Chen Z, Walsh S, Wu S. Avian reovirus-induced syncytium formation is independent of infectious progeny virus production and enhances the rate, but is not essential, for virus-induced cytopathology and virus egress. Virology. 1996;224:453-64 pubmed..These results suggest that the conservation of the avian reovirus syncytial phenotype may reflect a fortuitous aspect of virus replication which confers advantages associated with the rapid spread of the virus within an infected host...
- Whitehead H. Cultural selection and genetic diversity in matrilineal whales. Science. 1998;282:1708-11 pubmed..Thus, in contrast to other nonhuman mammals, culture may be an important evolutionary force for the matrilineal whales. ..
- Duncan R. Extensive sequence divergence and phylogenetic relationships between the fusogenic and nonfusogenic orthoreoviruses: a species proposal. Virology. 1999;260:316-28 pubmed..The first clade of fusogenic reoviruses contains the avian reovirus- and Nelson Bay virus-type species, with the second clade being occupied by the single baboon reovirus isolate that represents a fourth orthoreovirus species...
- Ellenberger H, Smith F. Sulfated cholecystokinin octapeptide in the rat: pontomedullary distribution and modulation of the respiratory pattern. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1999;77:490-504 pubmed..These results suggest that CCK8-S modulates the respiratory rhythm via CCK(A) receptors within one or more medullary or pontine respiratory groups in both neonatal and adult rats. ..
- Lee S, Pohajdak B. N-terminal targeting of guanine nucleotide exchange factors (GEF) for ADP ribosylation factors (ARF) to the Golgi. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 11):1883-9 pubmed..Furthermore, ARNO and ARNO3 N termini also have the same capability of targeting to the Golgi. We conclude that the N-terminal, (&agr;)-helical, coiled-coil domain is used to target this family of proteins to the Golgi complex. ..
- Boucher Y, Doolittle W. The role of lateral gene transfer in the evolution of isoprenoid biosynthesis pathways. Mol Microbiol. 2000;37:703-16 pubmed..The phylogenetic diversity of the organisms involved and the range of possible causes and effects of these transfer events make the IPP biosynthetic pathways an ideal system for studying the evolutionary role of LGT. ..
- Lloyd V. Parental imprinting in Drosophila. Genetica. 2000;109:35-44 pubmed..Thus, the study of imprinting in Drosophila has the potential to illuminate the mechanism and biological function of imprinting, and challenge models based solely on imprinting of mammalian genes. ..
- Baldridge W, Fischer A. Nitric oxide donor stimulated increase of cyclic GMP in the goldfish retina. Vis Neurosci. 2001;18:849-56 pubmed..Although this may be due to insufficient sensitivity of immunolabeling, this result may indicate a difference between isoforms of sGC or cGMP PDE in these neurons, compared to neurons where exogenous NO increased cG-ir. ..
- Henneberry A, Wright M, McMaster C. The major sites of cellular phospholipid synthesis and molecular determinants of Fatty Acid and lipid head group specificity. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3148-61 pubmed
- Chowdhury S, Rasmusson D. Corticocortical inhibition of peripheral inputs within primary somatosensory cortex: the role of GABA(A) and GABA(B) receptors. J Neurophysiol. 2003;90:851-6 pubmed..The relevance of these connections to the effects of peripheral nerve injury and subsequent reorganization is discussed. ..
- Baguma Nibasheka M, Li A, Osman M, Geldenhuys L, Casson A, Too C, et al. Coexpression and regulation of the FGF-2 and FGF antisense genes in leukemic cells. Leuk Res. 2005;29:423-33 pubmed..These findings suggest a role for both FGF-2 and GFG proteins in the cell survival and proliferation of lymphoid and myeloid tumor cells. ..
- Harper F, Hart M. Gamete compatibility and sperm competition affect paternity and hybridization between sympatric Asterias sea stars. Biol Bull. 2005;209:113-26 pubmed..The interaction between gametes of these closely related sea stars is consistent with the function of gamete recognition systems that are known to mediate fertilization success and speciation in other marine invertebrates. ..
- Walter J, Ewart K, Short C, Burton I, Driedzic W. Accelerated hepatic glycerol synthesis in rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax) is fuelled directly by glucose and alanine: a 1H and 13C nuclear magnetic resonance study. J Exp Zool A Comp Exp Biol. 2006;305:480-8 pubmed..Glucose can also be metabolised to glycerol via an abbreviated form of glycolysis that similarly leads to glycerol through DHAP...
- Shutt T, Gray M. Homologs of mitochondrial transcription factor B, sparsely distributed within the eukaryotic radiation, are likely derived from the dimethyladenosine methyltransferase of the mitochondrial endosymbiont. Mol Biol Evol. 2006;23:1169-79 pubmed..Phylogenetic analysis further demonstrates that the mtTFB is most likely derived from the DMT of the mitochondrial endosymbiont...
- Nickerson Poulin A, Guerci A, El Mestikawy S, Semba K. Vesicular glutamate transporter 3 immunoreactivity is present in cholinergic basal forebrain neurons projecting to the basolateral amygdala in rat. J Comp Neurol. 2006;498:690-711 pubmed..These findings indicate that BF cholinergic neurons containing VGLUT3 project to the basolateral amygdala and suggest that these neurons might have the capacity to release both acetylcholine and glutamate. ..
- Ro H, Zhang L, Majdalawieh A, Kim S, Wu X, Lyons P, et al. Adipocyte enhancer-binding protein 1 modulates adiposity and energy homeostasis. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007;15:288-302 pubmed..Our results suggest that AEBP1 negatively regulates adipose tissue PTEN levels, in conjunction with its role in proliferation and differentiation of pre-adipocytes, as a key functional role in modulation of in vivo adiposity. ..
- Furlong S, Ridgway N, Hoskin D. Modulation of ceramide metabolism in T-leukemia cell lines potentiates apoptosis induced by the cationic antimicrobial peptide bovine lactoferricin. Int J Oncol. 2008;32:537-44 pubmed..We conclude that manipulation of cellular ceramide levels in combination with LfcinB therapy warrants further investigation as a novel strategy for the treatment of T cell-derived leukemias. ..
- Zinck N, Downie J. IB4 afferent sprouting contributes to bladder dysfunction in spinal rats. Exp Neurol. 2008;213:293-302 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that IB4-positive afferent sprouting plays a role in the generation of bladder dysfunction following SCT. ..
- Dobson J, Seibert J, Teh E, Da as S, Fraser R, Paw B, et al. Carboxypeptidase A5 identifies a novel mast cell lineage in the zebrafish providing new insight into mast cell fate determination. Blood. 2008;112:2969-72 pubmed publisher..1, but not gata-1 or fog-1, are necessary for early MC development. These studies validate the zebrafish as an in vivo tool for studying MC ontogeny and function with future capacity for modeling human MC diseases. ..
- Acott P, O Regan P, Lee S, Crocker J. In vitro effect of cyclosporin A on primary and chronic BK polyoma virus infection in Vero E6 cells. Transpl Infect Dis. 2008;10:385-90 pubmed publisher..The intracellular antiviral mode of action of CsA against BKV does not appear to be via inhibition of viral cell entry pathways. ..
- Zemlak T, Habit E, Walde S, Battini M, Adams E, Ruzzante D. Across the southern Andes on fin: glacial refugia, drainage reversals and a secondary contact zone revealed by the phylogeographical signal of Galaxias platei in Patagonia. Mol Ecol. 2008;17:5049-61 pubmed publisher..These mechanisms, combined with evidence for recent, rapid and widespread population growth could explain the extensive contemporary distribution of G. platei throughout Patagonia...
- Aldous I, Veres S, Jahangir A, Lee J. Differences in collagen cross-linking between the four valves of the bovine heart: a possible role in adaptation to mechanical fatigue. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H1898-906 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the valves of the heart utilize differing, location-specific strategies to resist biomechanical fatigue loading. ..
- Dawicki W, Jawdat D, Xu N, Marshall J. Mast cells, histamine, and IL-6 regulate the selective influx of dendritic cell subsets into an inflamed lymph node. J Immunol. 2010;184:2116-23 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel opportunities for the selective mobilization of specific DC subsets to lymph nodes and demonstrate critical roles for both histamine and IL-6 in this process. ..
- Butcher N, Friedrich A, Lu Z, Tanimoto H, Meinertzhagen I. Different classes of input and output neurons reveal new features in microglomeruli of the adult Drosophila mushroom body calyx. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:2185-201 pubmed publisher..The numbers of elements were in direct proportion to presynaptic membrane area. Extrinsic neurons exclusively had ribbon synapses...
- Hopkins D, Armour J. Brainstem cells of origin of physiologically identified cardiopulmonary nerves in the rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta). J Auton Nerv Syst. 1998;68:21-32 pubmed..The cells of origin of projections to the anterior stomach wall were restricted to the DMV with a bilateral distribution of labelled cells, concentrated medially in the nucleus...
- Douglas D, Fink H, Ridgway N, Cook H, Byers D. Myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate is phosphorylated and translocated by a phorbol ester-insensitive and calcium-independent protein kinase C isoform in C6 glioma cell membranes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1448:439-49 pubmed..These findings support a novel mechanism by which MARCKS may be regulated by an atypical PKC isoform in phorbol ester-downregulated cells. ..
- Yang H, Wright J. Co-encapsulation of Sertoli enriched testicular cell fractions further prolongs fish-to-mouse islet xenograft survival. Transplantation. 1999;67:815-20 pubmed..Testicular cell fractions may be an important naturally occurring facilitator in the development of new microencapsulation systems for islet xenotransplantation. ..
- Morrison C, Miyake T, Wright J. Histological study of the development of the embryo and early larva of Oreochromis niloticus (Pisces: Cichlidae). J Morphol. 2001;247:172-95 pubmed..A prominent thymus gland is present at 100 h. Hematopoietic tissue develops in the vicinity of the pronephros during early larval development. A spleen develops later, 7 days after fertilization. ..
- Smith F, McGuirt A, Hoover D, Armour J, Ardell J. Chronic decentralization of the heart differentially remodels canine intrinsic cardiac neuron muscarinic receptors. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;281:H1919-30 pubmed..Enhanced muscarinic responsiveness of intrinsic cardiac neurons occurs without changes in receptor abundance. ..
- Yasuyama K, Meinertzhagen I, Schürmann F. Synaptic organization of the mushroom body calyx in Drosophila melanogaster. J Comp Neurol. 2002;445:211-26 pubmed..The cholinergic boutons are the largest identified cholinergic synapses in the Drosophila brain and an eligible prospect for studying the genetic regulation of excitatory presynaptic function. ..
- Hutchings J, Gerber L. Sex-biased dispersal in a salmonid fish. Proc Biol Sci. 2002;269:2487-93 pubmed..6%) than males (41.1%); mobile males dispersed six times further than mobile females. We conclude that this sex bias reduces mate competition among male kin and decreases the probability that males will reproduce with related females. ..
- Van Kampen J, Robertson H, Hagg T, Drobitch R. Neuroprotective actions of the ginseng extract G115 in two rodent models of Parkinson's disease. Exp Neurol. 2003;184:521-9 pubmed..Further examination of the neuroprotective actions of ginseng and its various elements may provide a potential means of slowing the progress of PD...
- Baptiste D, Hartwick A, Jollimore C, Baldridge W, Seigel G, Kelly M. An investigation of the neuroprotective effects of tetracycline derivatives in experimental models of retinal cell death. Mol Pharmacol. 2004;66:1113-22 pubmed..In addition, the survival-promoting actions of minocycline may arise via actions on both neuronal and non-neuronal cell targets. ..
- Worm B, Sandow M, Oschlies A, Lotze H, Myers R. Global patterns of predator diversity in the open oceans. Science. 2005;309:1365-9 pubmed..We conclude that predator diversity shows a predictable yet eroding pattern signaling ecosystem-wide changes linked to climate and fishing. ..
- Top D, de Antueno R, Salsman J, Corcoran J, Mader J, Hoskin D, et al. Liposome reconstitution of a minimal protein-mediated membrane fusion machine. EMBO J. 2005;24:2980-8 pubmed
- Nien W, Dauphinee S, Moffat L, Too C. Overexpression of the mTOR alpha4 phosphoprotein activates protein phosphatase 2A and increases Stat1alpha binding to PIAS1. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;263:10-7 pubmed..These events would inhibit Stat action and ultimately inhibit PRL-inducible IRF-1 promoter activity. ..
- Vanya Ewart K, Williams J, Richards R, Gallant J, Melville K, Douglas S. The early response of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) macrophages exposed in vitro to Aeromonas salmonicida cultured in broth and in fish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2008;32:380-90 pubmed publisher..Up-regulation of those genes and others is consistent with the effects of extracellular products of aeromonad bacteria on macrophages and also suggests initiation of the innate immune response...
- Stoltz D, Lapointe R, Makkay A, Cusson M. Exposure of ichnovirus particles to digitonin leads to enhanced infectivity and induces fusion from without in an in vitro model system. J Gen Virol. 2007;88:2977-84 pubmed
- Cowper Smith C, Anger G, Magal E, Norman M, Robertson G. Delayed administration of a potent cyclin dependent kinase and glycogen synthase kinase 3 beta inhibitor produces long-term neuroprotection in a hypoxia-ischemia model of brain injury. Neuroscience. 2008;155:864-75 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Compound 1 produced long lasting neuroprotective effects in adult but not juvenile mice suggesting that inhibition of the CDKs and GSK3beta plays a distinct neuroprotective role in the juvenile and adult brain. ..
- Marcato P, Dean C, Giacomantonio C, Lee P. Oncolytic reovirus effectively targets breast cancer stem cells. Mol Ther. 2009;17:972-9 pubmed publisher..More important, the CSC population was equally reduced and was as susceptible to reovirus treatment as the non-CSC population. ..
- Richardson A, de Antueno R, Duncan R, Hoskin D. Intracellular delivery of bovine lactoferricin's antimicrobial core (RRWQWR) kills T-leukemia cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;388:736-41 pubmed publisher..We suggest that LfcinB6, in combination with a fusogenic liposome delivery system that selectively targets malignant cells, has potential as a novel anticancer agent. ..
- Hart Matyas M, Nejat S, Jordan J, Hirsch G, Lee T. IFN-gamma and Fas/FasL pathways cooperate to induce medial cell loss and neointimal lesion formation in allograft vasculopathy. Transpl Immunol. 2010;22:157-64 pubmed publisher..Both of these blockade strategies are in the face of an active IFN-gamma pathway. These data suggest a cooperative role between Fas/FasL and IFN-gamma mediated effector functions in medial SMC loss and neointimal lesion formation...
- Hamanaka Y, Meinertzhagen I. Immunocytochemical localization of synaptic proteins to photoreceptor synapses of Drosophila melanogaster. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:1133-55 pubmed publisher..These results provide markers for synaptic sites, and a basis for further functional studies. ..
- Hubert S, Higgins B, Borza T, Bowman S. Development of a SNP resource and a genetic linkage map for Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). BMC Genomics. 2010;11:191 pubmed publisher..Since these SNPs were generated from ESTs, they are linked to specific genes. Genes that map within QTL intervals can be prioritized for testing to determine whether they contribute to observed phenotypes. ..
- Whitehead H. Conserving and managing animals that learn socially and share cultures. Learn Behav. 2010;38:329-36 pubmed publisher..We should aim to protect cultural as well as genetic diversity. Unfortunately, clear data on social learning and culture in the wild are scarce. Hence, the ideas and methods outlined in this special issue have great potential...
- Ernst M, Sinal C, Pollak P. Influence of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha (PPAR?) activity on adverse effects associated with amiodarone exposure in mice. Pharmacol Res. 2010;62:408-15 pubmed publisher..Further studies of the beneficial effect of fenofibrate and the interplay between lipid metabolism and amiodarone pharmacokinetics are required. ..
- Smith F, Croll R. Autonomic control of the swimbladder. Auton Neurosci. 2011;165:140-8 pubmed publisher..In order to clarify some of these issues and to provide insight into basic principles underlying autonomic control of swimbladder function, we propose the zebrafish as a potentially useful model teleost. ..
- Noyce R, Richardson C. Nectin 4 is the epithelial cell receptor for measles virus. Trends Microbiol. 2012;20:429-39 pubmed publisher..Nectin 4 is also a tumor cell marker which is highly expressed on the apical surface of many adenocarcinoma cell lines, making it a potential target for MV oncolytic therapy...
- Weir G, Karkada M, Hoskin D, Stanford M, Macdonald L, Mansour M, et al. Combination of poly I:C and Pam3CSK4 enhances activation of B cells in vitro and boosts antibody responses to protein vaccines in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180073 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that combinations of TLR adjuvants promote more effective B cell activation in vitro and can be used to augment antibody responses to vaccines in vivo. ..
- Lonergan K, Gray M. The ribosomal RNA gene region in Acanthamoeba castellanii mitochondrial DNA. A case of evolutionary transfer of introns between mitochondria and plastids?. J Mol Biol. 1994;239:476-99 pubmed publisher..castellanii and C. reinhardtii or, more recently, as a result of an intercellular exchange of genetic information...
- Gratzer P, Lee J. Control of pH alters the type of cross-linking produced by 1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-carbodiimide (EDC) treatment of acellular matrix vascular grafts. J Biomed Mater Res. 2001;58:172-9 pubmed..Furthermore, it may be emphasized that the location or type of cross-links differentially affected the mechanical behavior of treated materials without affecting the increase in resistance to enzymatic degradation. ..
- Dacks J, Doolittle W. Reconstructing/deconstructing the earliest eukaryotes: how comparative genomics can help. Cell. 2001;107:419-25 pubmed..It's not clear that either is the case, but the expanding protist genomic database could help us in several ways...
- Peterson T, Peterson M, Robertson H, During M, Dragunow M. Selective down-regulation of c-jun gene expression by pentoxifylline and c-jun antisense interrupts platelet-derived growth factor signaling: pentoxifylline inhibits phosphorylation of c-Jun on serine 73. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;61:1476-88 pubmed
- Morrison C, Yang H, Al Jazaeri A, Tam J, Plisetskaya E, Wright J. Xenogeneic milieu markedly remodels endocrine cell populations after transplantation of fish islets into streptozotocin-diabetic nude mice. Xenotransplantation. 2003;10:60-5 pubmed..The proportions of cell types in the grafts gradually changed from a piscine pattern to that of mammalian islets. ..
- Panek I, Meisner S, Torkkeli P. Distribution and function of GABAB receptors in spider peripheral mechanosensilla. J Neurophysiol. 2003;90:2571-80 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis that GABAB receptors are present in the spider mechanosensilla where their activation may modulate information transmission. ..
- Liu R, Denovan Wright E, Wright J. Structure, linkage mapping and expression of the heart-type fatty acid-binding protein gene (fabp3 ) from zebrafish (Danio rerio). Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:3223-34 pubmed..Inspection of the 5' upstream sequence of the zebrafish fabp3 gene revealed a number of cis elements that may be involved in the expression of the zebrafish fabp3 gene in oocytes and liver. ..
- Inanlou M, Dhillon G, Belliveau A, Reid G, Ying C, Rudnicki M, et al. A significant reduction of the diaphragm in mdx:MyoD-/-(9th) embryos suggests a role for MyoD in the diaphragm development. Dev Biol. 2003;261:324-36 pubmed
- Jawdat D, Albert E, Rowden G, Haidl I, Marshall J. IgE-mediated mast cell activation induces Langerhans cell migration in vivo. J Immunol. 2004;173:5275-82 pubmed..These data directly demonstrate the ability of mast cells to induce dendritic cell migration to lymph nodes following IgE-mediated activation in vivo by a histamine-dependent mechanism. ..
- Marignani P. LKB1, the multitasking tumour suppressor kinase. J Clin Pathol. 2005;58:15-9 pubmed
- Vessey J, Stratis A, Daniels B, Da Silva N, Jonz M, Lalonde M, et al. Proton-mediated feedback inhibition of presynaptic calcium channels at the cone photoreceptor synapse. J Neurosci. 2005;25:4108-17 pubmed..Voltage clamp of isolated HCs revealed an amiloride-sensitive conductance that could mediate modulation of cleft pH dependent on the membrane potential of these postsynaptic cells. ..
- Stephens H, Belliveau A, Gupta J, Mirkovic S, Kablar B. The role of neurotrophins in the maintenance of the spinal cord motor neurons and the dorsal root ganglia proprioceptive sensory neurons. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2005;23:613-20 pubmed
- Morash S, Douglas D, McMaster C, Cook H, Byers D. Expression of MARCKS effector domain mutants alters phospholipase D activity and cytoskeletal morphology of SK-N-MC neuroblastoma cells. Neurochem Res. 2005;30:1353-64 pubmed..These results suggest that intact phosphorylation sites within the MARCKS ED are required for PLD activation and influence both membrane-cytoskeletal organization and cell viability. ..
- Moore C, Hebb A, Blanchard M, Crocker C, Liston P, Korneluk R, et al. Increased X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP) expression exacerbates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE). J Neuroimmunol. 2008;203:79-93 pubmed publisher..This work identifies XIAP is an important apoptotic regulator in EAE and a potential pharmacological target for treating autoimmune diseases such as MS. ..
- O Leary T, Brown R. Visuo-spatial learning and memory deficits on the Barnes maze in the 16-month-old APPswe/PS1dE9 mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. Behav Brain Res. 2009;201:120-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results replicate previous findings using the MWM, and indicate that APPswe/PS1dE9 mice have impaired visuo-spatial learning and memory at 16 months of age. ..
- Murray H, Lall S, Rajaselvam R, Boutilier L, Flight R, Blanchard B, et al. Effect of early introduction of microencapsulated diet to larval Atlantic halibut, Hippoglossus hippoglossus L. assessed by microarray analysis. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2010;12:214-29 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, several of these genes were involved in pigmentation and eye development, in agreement with the phenotypic abnormalities seen in the larvae. ..
- Ferretti F, Worm B, Britten G, Heithaus M, Lotze H. Patterns and ecosystem consequences of shark declines in the ocean. Ecol Lett. 2010;13:1055-71 pubmed publisher..Yet more empirical evidence is needed to test the generality of these effects throughout the ocean. ..
- Tucker C, Avila Sakar G. Ontogenetic changes in tolerance to herbivory in Arabidopsis. Oecologia. 2010;164:1005-15 pubmed publisher..thaliana, and warrants further investigations with more accessions or natural populations, and detailed measurements of traits purported to contribute to tolerance in our quest to understand the mechanisms of tolerance to herbivory. ..
- Braubach O, Fine A, Croll R. Distribution and functional organization of glomeruli in the olfactory bulbs of zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:2317-39, Spc1 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results provide a uniquely detailed description of a vertebrate olfactory system and highlight anatomically distinct parallel neural pathways that mediate early aspects of olfactory processing in the zebrafish. ..
- Bui T, Akay T, Loubani O, Hnasko T, Jessell T, Brownstone R. Circuits for grasping: spinal dI3 interneurons mediate cutaneous control of motor behavior. Neuron. 2013;78:191-204 pubmed publisher..Thus, spinal microcircuits that integrate cutaneous feedback crucial for paw grip rely on the intermediary role of dI3 interneurons. ..
- Boon E, Meehan C, Whidden C, Wong D, Langille M, Beiko R. Interactions in the microbiome: communities of organisms and communities of genes. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2014;38:90-118 pubmed publisher..that are likely to yield a deeper understanding of microbial communities that shift from observation-based questions of 'Who is there?' and 'What are they doing?' to the mechanistically driven question of 'How will they respond?' ..
- Lin T, Luo J, Shinomiya K, Ting C, Lu Z, Meinertzhagen I, et al. Mapping chromatic pathways in the Drosophila visual system. J Comp Neurol. 2016;524:213-27 pubmed publisher..Serial electron microscopic reconstruction confirms that LT11 receives direct contacts from Tm5c. This method would be generally applicable to map the connections of large complex neurons in Drosophila and other animals. ..
- Murphy P, Knee R. Identification and characterization of an antisense RNA transcript (gfg) from the human basic fibroblast growth factor gene. Mol Endocrinol. 1994;8:852-9 pubmed
- Hebb M, Robertson H. End-capped antisense oligodeoxynucleotides effectively inhibit gene expression in vivo and offer a low-toxicity alternative to fully modified phosphorothioate oligodeoxynucleotides. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1997;47:223-8 pubmed
- Nedelcu A, Lee R. Short repetitive sequences in green algal mitochondrial genomes: potential roles in mitochondrial genome evolution. Mol Biol Evol. 1998;15:690-701 pubmed