Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Locale: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Publications649 found, 100 shown here
- St Peter W, Wazny L, Weinhandl E, Cardone K, Hudson J. A Review of Phosphate Binders in Chronic Kidney Disease: Incremental Progress or Just Higher Costs?. Drugs. 2017;77:1155-1186 pubmed publisher..The biggest challenge to phosphate binder efficacy is non-adherence. This article reviews the current knowledge regarding safety, effectiveness, and adherence with currently marketed phosphate binders and those in development. ..
- Shuttleworth T, Wilson M, Wicklow B, Wilkins J, Triggs Raine B. Characterization of the murine hyaluronidase gene region reveals complex organization and cotranscription of Hyal1 with downstream genes, Fus2 and Hyal3. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:23008-18 pubmed..Characterization of the region including mouse Hyal1 and Hyal3 revealed complex organization and transcription that must be considered in the development and interpretation of mouse models involving genes in this region. ..
- Chidambaram M, Mink S, Sharma S. Atrial septal aneurysm with right-to-left interatrial shunting. Tex Heart Inst J. 2003;30:68-70 pubmed..Oral alpha-1 agonist therapy can be used successfully to treat patients such as ours and possibly others with similar functional abnormalities. ..
- Baker P, Clement P, Young R. Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma in women: a study of 75 cases with emphasis on their morphologic spectrum and differential diagnosis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2005;123:724-37 pubmed..Histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, and electron microscopy may provide important aid, particularly when tissue is limited, but should be needed only occasionally. ..
- Woodward D, Clark C, Caldeira R, Ahmed R, Soule G, Bryden L, et al. Identification and characterization of Shigella boydii 20 serovar nov., a new and emerging Shigella serotype. J Med Microbiol. 2005;54:741-8 pubmed..The World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Shigella has added serotype SH108 to the Shigella scheme as S. boydii serotype 20 (serovar nov.). Strain SH108 (isolate 99-4528) is the reference strain for this serotype...
- Begleiter A, Hewitt D, Maksymiuk A, Ross D, Bird R. A NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 polymorphism is a risk factor for human colon cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006;15:2422-6 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that NQO1 plays a significant role in preventing the development of colon cancer, and individuals with an NQO1 *2/*2 genotype are at an increased risk of developing this disease. ..
- Arneja J, Hayakawa T, Singh G, Murray K, Turner R, Ross L, et al. Axillary hyperhidrosis: a 5-year review of treatment efficacy and recurrence rates using a new arthroscopic shaver technique. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;119:562-7 pubmed..For cases of primary hyperhidrosis affecting the axilla not amenable to conservative treatment, the authors recommend an arthroscopic shaver technique as the first-line treatment of choice. ..
- Shaw S, Shah L, Jolly A, Wylie J. Determinants of injection drug user (IDU) syringe sharing: the relationship between availability of syringes and risk network member characteristics in Winnipeg, Canada. Addiction. 2007;102:1626-35 pubmed..Adopting interventions that take into account relationships and behaviours that shape social norms present in networks/dyads would be a necessary prevention strategy alongside the provision of clean syringes. ..
- Zhanel G, Trapp S, Gin A, DeCorby M, Lagacé Wiens P, Rubinstein E, et al. Dalbavancin and telavancin: novel lipoglycopeptides for the treatment of Gram-positive infections. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2008;6:67-81 pubmed publisher..Both telavancin and dalbavancin show promise as alternative treatments for patients with serious infections caused by resistant Gram-positive pathogens. ..
- Casiano H, Mota N, Afifi T, Enns M, Sareen J. Childhood maltreatment and threats with weapons. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2009;197:856-61 pubmed publisher..Prevention efforts that reduce exposure to maltreatment may reduce violent behavior in later life. ..
- Mulvey M, Boyd D, Gravel D, Hutchinson J, Kelly S, Mcgeer A, et al. Hypervirulent Clostridium difficile strains in hospitalized patients, Canada. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:678-81 pubmed publisher..Incidence of human infections increased from 0.5% in 2004/2005 to 1.6% in 2008. ..
- Lokuge K, Caleo G, Greig J, Duncombe J, McWilliam N, Squire J, et al. Successful Control of Ebola Virus Disease: Analysis of Service Based Data from Rural Sierra Leone. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016;10:e0004498 pubmed publisher..The response structure and coverage targets we present are of value in informing effective control in current and future EVD outbreaks. ..
- Pathak K, Klonisch T, Nason R, Leslie W. FDG-PET characteristics of Hürthle cell and follicular adenomas. Ann Nucl Med. 2016;30:506-9 pubmed publisher..The overall accuracy was 87 %. HCA shows significantly higher focal FDG uptake as compared to FA and should always be considered in the differential diagnosis of FDG-PET positive thyroid nodules. ..
- Leygue E, Dotzlaw H, Watson P, Murphy L. Expression of the steroid receptor RNA activator in human breast tumors. Cancer Res. 1999;59:4190-3 pubmed..53, n = 27, P = 0.004). These data suggest that changes in the expression of SRA-related molecules occur during breast tumor progression. ..
- Haughey N, Holden C, Nath A, Geiger J. Involvement of inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate-regulated stores of intracellular calcium in calcium dysregulation and neuron cell death caused by HIV-1 protein tat. J Neurochem. 1999;73:1363-74 pubmed
- Aoki F. Management of genital herpes in HIV-infected patients. Herpes. 2001;8:41-5 pubmed
- Schafer A. Biomedical conflicts of interest: a defence of the sequestration thesis-learning from the cases of Nancy Olivieri and David Healy. J Med Ethics. 2004;30:8-24 pubmed..The reformist approach is criticised and the radical approach defended. ..
- Doupe M, Katz A, Kvern B, Manness L, Metge C, Thomson G, et al. Encouraging physician appropriate prescribing of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory therapies: protocol of a randomized controlled trial [ISRCTN43532635]. BMC Health Serv Res. 2004;4:21 pubmed..Appropriate prescribing is defined based on international clinical practice guidelines and the provincial drug reimbursement policy in Manitoba. ..
- Klonisch T, Mustafa T, Bialek J, Radestock Y, Holzhausen H, Dralle H, et al. Human medullary thyroid carcinoma: a source and potential target for relaxin-like hormones. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1041:449-61 pubmed..Thus, relaxin-like hormones appear to be present early during C-cell hyperplasia and potentially functional relaxin/INSL3 ligand-receptor systems are present in human MTC tissues and in MTC cell lines. ..
- Chahal F, Entwistle J, Glover N, MacDonald G. A targeted proteomic approach for the identification of tumor-associated membrane antigens using the ProteomeLab PF-2D in tandem with mass spectrometry. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;348:1055-62 pubmed..This approach has been validated in the identification of ErB2/HER-2 and was subsequently used to identify CD44E as the cognate antigen for VB1-008, one of our fully human, tumor-specific, monoclonal antibodies. ..
- Baker P, Oliva E. Endometrial stromal tumours of the uterus: a practical approach using conventional morphology and ancillary techniques. J Clin Pathol. 2007;60:235-43 pubmed..A practical approach is provided for the diagnosis of ESTs on the basis of systematic assessment of histological and immunohistochemical parameters, and recent developments related to these tumours are highlighted...
- Moore D, Kaneski C, Askari H, Schiffmann R. The cerebral vasculopathy of Fabry disease. J Neurol Sci. 2007;257:258-63 pubmed..This vasculopathy illustrates the role of glycolipids in this and possibly other types of cerebral vasculopathies. Therapy is preventive relying on standard medical care and in particular on anti-platelet agents such as clopidogrel. ..
- Gosens R, Stelmack G, Dueck G, Mutawe M, Hinton M, McNeill K, et al. Caveolae facilitate muscarinic receptor-mediated intracellular Ca2+ mobilization and contraction in airway smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;293:L1406-18 pubmed..These results indicate caveolae and caveolin-1 facilitate [Ca(2+)](i) mobilization leading to ASM contraction induced by submaximal concentrations of ACh. ..
- Andrysiak A, Olson A, Tracz D, Dore K, Irwin R, Ng L, et al. Genetic characterization of clinical and agri-food isolates of multi drug resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg from Canada. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:89 pubmed publisher..Due to the overall limited genetic diversity among the isolates, it was not possible to identify variable traits that would be suitable for source tracking between human and agri-food isolates of S. Heidelberg in Canada. ..
- Cooke A, Metge C, Lix L, Prior H, Leslie W. Tamoxifen use and osteoporotic fracture risk: a population-based analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:5227-32 pubmed publisher..95; 95% CI, 0.81 to 1.12). In a population-based case-control study, current tamoxifen use was associated with a substantial reduction in osteoporotic fractures. ..
- Berczi I, Quintanar Stephano A, Kovacs K. Neuroimmune regulation in immunocompetence, acute illness, and healing. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1153:220-39 pubmed publisher..VP also has a direct effect on lymphoid cells, the significance of which remains to be elucidated. It is suggested that VP regulates the process of recovery from acute illness. ..
- Tylor S, Andonov A, Cutts T, Cao J, Grudesky E, Van Domselaar G, et al. The SR-rich motif in SARS-CoV nucleocapsid protein is important for virus replication. Can J Microbiol. 2009;55:254-60 pubmed publisher..The mutated infectious clone showed reduced level of genome transcription and significantly reduced levels of the infectious virions. These results strongly suggest that the SR-rich motif is critical for effective virus replication. ..
- Salman M, Marles S, Booth F, Del Bigio M. Early-onset neurodegenerative disease of the cerebellum and motor axons. Pediatr Neurol. 2009;40:365-70 pubmed publisher..In the spinal cord, motor neuron cell bodies and the posterior columns were spared. This clinical entity likely represents a novel neurodegenerative disease of the cerebellum and long motor axons...
- Zhong W, Xing M, Maibach H. Nanofibrous materials for wound care. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2010;29:143-52 pubmed publisher..However, most natural polymers exhibit relatively low mechanical strength than synthetic polymers. As a result, they are usually crosslinked or blended with synthetic polymers so as to somewhat affect their biocompatibility. ..
- Maclean J, Kinley D, Jacobi F, Bolton J, Sareen J. The relationship between physical conditions and suicidal behavior among those with mood disorders. J Affect Disord. 2011;130:245-50 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should recognize the contributing risk of physical health problems to suicidal behavior. ..
- Alonso Coello P, Bellmunt S, McGorrian C, Anand S, Guzman R, Criqui M, et al. Antithrombotic therapy in peripheral artery disease: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141:e669S-e690S pubmed publisher..Additional therapies for relief of limb symptoms should be considered only after exercise therapy, smoking cessation, and evaluation for peripheral artery revascularization. ..
- Zarychanski R, Schulz V, Houston B, Maksimova Y, Houston D, Smith B, et al. Mutations in the mechanotransduction protein PIEZO1 are associated with hereditary xerocytosis. Blood. 2012;120:1908-15 pubmed publisher..These findings, the first report of mutation in a mammalian mechanosensory transduction channel-associated with genetic disease, suggest that PIEZO proteins play an important role in maintaining erythrocyte volume homeostasis...
- Cohen B, Schultz A, McGibbon E, Vanderplaat M, Bassett R, Germann K, et al. A Conceptual Framework of Organizational Capacity for Public Health Equity Action (OC-PHEA). Can J Public Health. 2013;104:e262-6 pubmed
- Clark E, Kumar A, Langote A, Lapinsky S, Dodek P, Kramer A, et al. Septic shock in chronic dialysis patients: clinical characteristics, antimicrobial therapy and mortality. Intensive Care Med. 2016;42:222-32 pubmed publisher..However, there was no significant difference in mortality between the chronic dialysis and non-dialysis patients with septic shock enrolled in this analysis. ..
- Aliyu G, Mahmud S. Postal recruitment and consent obtainment from index cases of narcolepsy. BMC Med Ethics. 2016;17:6 pubmed publisher..61. In this setting, postal recruitment for biomedical research on rare conditions is feasible and time and cost effective. ..
- Gascoyne T, McRae S, Parashin S, Leiter J, Petrak M, Bohm E, et al. Radiostereometric analysis of keeled versus pegged glenoid components in total shoulder arthroplasty: a randomized feasibility study. Can J Surg. 2017;60:273-279 pubmed
- Ochoo B, Valcour J, Sarkar A. Association between perceptions of public drinking water quality and actual drinking water quality: A community-based exploratory study in Newfoundland (Canada). Environ Res. 2017;159:435-443 pubmed publisher..We had little scope to explore the possible explanations, and hence further studies are required to verify the age, gender educational status and income differential about the satisfaction of public service like water supply. ..
- Wands S, Yassi A. "Let's Talk Back": a program to empower laundry workers. Am J Ind Med. 1992;22:703-9 pubmed..Through active participation in ergonomic assessments as well as the educational program, workers were able to demonstrate to management that changes were needed. ..
- Johnston J, Eisenhauer E, Corbett W, Scott J, Zaentz S. Efficacy of 2'-deoxycoformycin in hairy-cell leukemia: a study of the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1988;80:765-9 pubmed..We conclude that low-dose DCF is highly effective in treating hairy-cell leukemia. ..
- Peeling R, Brunham R. Chlamydiae as pathogens: new species and new issues. Emerg Infect Dis. 1996;2:307-19 pubmed
- Anderson C, Xiong W, Geiger J, Young J, Cass C, Baldwin S, et al. Distribution of equilibrative, nitrobenzylthioinosine-sensitive nucleoside transporters (ENT1) in brain. J Neurochem. 1999;73:867-73 pubmed..Thus, ENT1 mRNA has a wide cellular and regional distribution in brain, indicating that this nucleoside transporter subtype may be important in regulating intra- and extracellular levels of adenosine in brain. ..
- Krokhin O, Cheng K, Sousa S, Ens W, Standing K, Wilkins J. Mass spectrometric based mapping of the disulfide bonding patterns of integrin alpha chains. Biochemistry. 2003;42:12950-9 pubmed..These results indicate that not all integrin species display the same disulfide bonding patterns. They also highlight the need for caution in the use of assignments based on sequence homology. ..
- Roberts D, McNicol A, Bose R. Mechanism of collagen activation in human platelets. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19421-30 pubmed
- Jassal D, Tam J, Dumesnil J, Giannoccaro P, Jue J, Pandey A, et al. Clinical usefulness of tissue Doppler imaging in patients with mild to moderate aortic stenosis: a substudy of the aortic stenosis progression observation measuring effects of rosuvastatin study. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2008;21:1023-7 pubmed publisher..05). In patients with mild to moderate asymptomatic AS, TDI measures of diastolic function are abnormal and related to the severity of AS. These findings may help to predict the future development of symptoms in this population. ..
- Rubinstein E. Staphylococcus aureus bacteraemia with known sources. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2008;32 Suppl 1:S18-20 pubmed publisher..Epidural abscess is the most serious consequence of staphylococcal bacteraemia, leading to permanent neurological damage if not diagnosed early enough. ..
- Lahaie U. Is nursing ready for WebQuests?. J Nurs Educ. 2008;47:567-70 pubmed..They are based on solid theoretical foundations and promote critical thinking, inquiry, and problem solving. There is a role for WebQuests in nursing education. A WebQuest example is described in this article. ..
- Li H, Liu G, Yu J, Cao W, Lobo V, Xie J. In vivo selection of kinase-responsive RNA elements controlling alternative splicing. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16191-201 pubmed publisher..This also provides an approach for selecting RNA elements similarly responsive to other cell signals controlling alternative splicing. ..
- Kumar A, Zarychanski R, Light B, Parrillo J, Maki D, Simon D, et al. Early combination antibiotic therapy yields improved survival compared with monotherapy in septic shock: a propensity-matched analysis. Crit Care Med. 2010;38:1773-85 pubmed publisher..25 [0-28]; p = .007) up to 30 days. Early combination antibiotic therapy is associated with decreased mortality in septic shock. Prospective randomized trials are needed. ..
- Rubinstein E, Lalani T, Corey G, Kanafani Z, Nannini E, Rocha M, et al. Telavancin versus vancomycin for hospital-acquired pneumonia due to gram-positive pathogens. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:31-40 pubmed publisher..The primary end point of the studies was met, indicating that telavancin is noninferior to vancomycin on the basis of clinical response in the treatment of HAP due to gram-positive pathogens. ..
- Gosens R, Stelmack G, Bos S, Dueck G, Mutawe M, Schaafsma D, et al. Caveolin-1 is required for contractile phenotype expression by airway smooth muscle cells. J Cell Mol Med. 2011;15:2430-42 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we identify a new function for caveolin-1 in controlling smooth muscle phenotype; this mechanism could contribute to allergic asthma. ..
- O Neil C, Palmer A, Coulter S, O Brien N, Shen A, Zhang W, et al. Factors associated with antiretroviral medication adherence among HIV-positive adults accessing highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in British Columbia, Canada. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic). 2012;11:134-41 pubmed publisher..We found that women and people who inject drugs are at increased risk of being suboptimally adherent to HAART. Optimal adherence remains a significant public health and clinical goal in the context of rapidly expanding access to HAART. ..
- Rahim M, Selman M, Sauder P, Forbes N, Stecho W, Xu W, et al. Generation and characterization of a new panel of broadly reactive anti-NS1 mAbs for detection of influenza A virus. J Gen Virol. 2013;94:593-605 pubmed publisher..It was also demonstrated that the newly identified NS3 protein is localized in the cytoplasm to high levels. ..
- Tagin M, Shah P, Lee K. Magnesium for newborns with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Perinatol. 2013;33:663-9 pubmed publisher..Mortality was statistically insignificant between the magnesium and the control groups. However, the trend toward increase in mortality in the magnesium group is a major clinical concern and should be monitored closely in future trials. ..
- Gordon V, Banerji S. Molecular pathways: PI3K pathway targets in triple-negative breast cancers. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19:3738-44 pubmed publisher..The improved knowledge of the molecular basis of TNBC in parallel with efforts to develop new PI3K pathway-specific inhibitors may finally produce the therapeutic breakthrough that is desperately needed. ..
- Lafarge S, Johnston J, Gibson S, Marshall A. Adhesion of ZAP-70+ chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells to stromal cells is enhanced by cytokines and blocked by inhibitors of the PI3-kinase pathway. Leuk Res. 2014;38:109-15 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results indicate that targeting the PI3K pathway can reverse protective CLL-microenvironment interactions in both ZAP-70 positive and negative CLL despite their differences in cytokine responsiveness. ..
- Hansen G, Vallance J. Ventilation Monitoring in Severe Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury at Nontrauma Centers. Air Med J. 2015;34:278-82 pubmed publisher..AMCs showed superior ventilation monitoring after intubation in pediatric patients with severe TBI. Ventilation monitoring was not routinely conducted by NTC personnel, signifying areas to improve patient care. ..
- Passmore S, Johnson M, Kriellaars D, Pelleck V, Enright A, Glazebrook C. Fitts's Law using lower extremity movement: Performance driven outcomes for degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis. Hum Mov Sci. 2015;44:277-86 pubmed publisher..Therefore a lower extremity Fitts's Law task captured differences in the planning and execution of leg movements between healthy and LSS populations. ..
- Kaposy C, Greenspan N, Marshall Z, Allison J, Marshall S, Kitson C. Clinical ethics issues in HIV care in Canada: an institutional ethnographic study. BMC Med Ethics. 2017;18:9 pubmed publisher..These negative determinants were at the root of other ethical issues, and are themselves of ethical concern. ..
- Leslie W, Abrams D, Billinghurst M. Elution characteristics of 99Tcm-labelled erythrocytes in relation to scintigraphic detection of gastrointestinal bleeding. Nucl Med Commun. 1991;12:983-92 pubmed..The possibility of gut and/or hepatobiliary secretion of this material needs further clarification before delayed positive studies can be relied upon to indicate gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Zhong G, Liu L, Fan T, Fan P, Ji H. Degradation of transcription factor RFX5 during the inhibition of both constitutive and interferon gamma-inducible major histocompatibility complex class I expression in chlamydia-infected cells. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1525-34 pubmed..Efforts to identify the chlamydial factors are underway. These findings provide novel information on the molecular mechanisms of chlamydial evasion of host immune recognition. ..
- Barbopoulos A, Fisharah F, Clark J, el Khatib A. Comparison of Egyptian and Canadian children on a picture apperception test. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2002;8:395-403 pubmed..The findings validated cross-cultural use of the RATC and demonstrated that the increasingly general theory of collectivism allowed meaningful predictions about personality and clinical traits. ..
- Elliott A, Evans J, Chudley A, Reed M. The duplicated longitudinal epiphysis or "kissing delta phalanx": evolution and variation in three different disorders. Skeletal Radiol. 2004;33:345-51 pubmed..Magnetic resonance imaging of the kissing delta phalanx has not been previously described...
- Vorauer J. Dominant group members in intergroup interaction: safety or vulnerability in numbers?. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2003;29:498-511 pubmed..The results suggest that intergroup attitudes guide the types of intergroup contact situations that are experienced most positively. ..
- Alghamdi A, Tam J. Cardiac metastasis from a renal cell carcinoma. Can J Cardiol. 2006;22:1231-2 pubmed..This is one of the few reported cases of renal cell carcinoma associated with syncope as an initial symptom...
- Minuk G, Zhang M, Gong Y, Minuk L, Dienes H, Pettigrew N, et al. Decreased hepatocyte membrane potential differences and GABAA-beta3 expression in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2007;45:735-45 pubmed
- Murthy S, Keyvani L, Leeson S, Targownik L. Intravenous versus high-dose oral proton pump inhibitor therapy after endoscopic hemostasis of high-risk lesions in patients with acute nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Dig Dis Sci. 2007;52:1685-90 pubmed..01 for developing an adverse outcome versus oral PPIs (95% CI: 0.44-2.33). We conclude that oral PPIs are probably equivalent to IV PPIs for preventing rebleeding in ANVUGIB patients. ..
- Katz A. Quality of life for men with prostate cancer. Cancer Nurs. 2007;30:302-8 pubmed
- Hameed A, Gosal T, Fang T, Ahmadie R, Lytwyn M, Barac I, et al. Clinical utility of tissue Doppler imaging in patients with acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shock. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2008;6:11 pubmed publisher..Whether TDI could be a reliable tool to determine CS patients with the best chance of recovery following revascularization is yet to be determined. ..
- Aluko R. Determination of nutritional and bioactive properties of peptides in enzymatic pea, chickpea, and mung bean protein hydrolysates. J AOAC Int. 2008;91:947-56 pubmed..Also reviewed are the production and evaluation of activity of hypoallergenic peptides that may offer protection against anaphylactic reactions. The 3 main proteins discussed are chickpea, mung bean, and field pea. ..
- Tappia P, Asemu G, Rodriguez Leyva D. Phospholipase C as a potential target for cardioprotection during oxidative stress. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2010;88:249-63 pubmed publisher..Such information will extend our knowledge of ischemic heart disease and help improve its therapy. ..
- Fedorow C, Moon M, Mutch W, Grocott H. Lumbar cerebrospinal fluid drainage for thoracoabdominal aortic surgery: rationale and practical considerations for management. Anesth Analg. 2010;111:46-58 pubmed publisher..The optimal benefit to risk ratio can be achieved by understanding the rationale for its use and following practical management guidelines...
- Singh H, Nugent Z, Demers A, Bernstein C. Screening for cervical and breast cancer among women with inflammatory bowel disease: a population-based study. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17:1741-50 pubmed publisher..Healthcare providers involved in the care of women with IBD need to remind these individuals about regular preventive care. ..
- Qiu X, Alimonti J, Melito P, Fernando L, Stroher U, Jones S. Characterization of Zaire ebolavirus glycoprotein-specific monoclonal antibodies. Clin Immunol. 2011;141:218-27 pubmed publisher..All 8 MAb improved survival rates by 33%-100% against a high dose lethal challenge with mouse-adapted ZEBOV. This work has important implications for further development of vaccines and immunotherapies for ZEBOV infection...
- Martens P. The right kind of evidence--integrating, measuring, and making it count in health equity research. J Urban Health. 2012;89:925-36 pubmed publisher..We need to ensure that our messages are based on strong evidence, presented in ways that do not undermine the message itself, and incorporating integrated KT models to ensure rapid uptake and application in the real world. ..
- Bagchi R, Czubryt M. Synergistic roles of scleraxis and Smads in the regulation of collagen 1?2 gene expression. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1823:1936-44 pubmed publisher..Scleraxis thus appears to play a key role in the transcriptional regulation of type I collagen synthesis. ..
- Leslie W. Clinical review: Ethnic differences in bone mass--clinical implications. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:4329-40 pubmed publisher..Factors associated with ethnicity affect BMD and fracture risk through direct and indirect mechanisms. ..
- Ho J, Wiebe C, Rush D, Rigatto C, Storsley L, Karpinski M, et al. Increased urinary CCL2: Cr ratio at 6 months is associated with late renal allograft loss. Transplantation. 2013;95:595-602 pubmed publisher..8 ng/mmol yielded a strong positive predictive value of 0.96. This study confirms in an independent prospective cohort that early urinary CCL2 at 6 months is a noninvasive, independent predictor for late renal allograft loss. ..
- Redhu N, Shan L, Movassagh H, Gounni A. Thymic stromal lymphopoietin induces migration in human airway smooth muscle cells. Sci Rep. 2013;3:2301 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest a pro-migratory function of TSLP in ASM remodeling and provides better rationale for targeting TSLP/TSLPR pathway for therapeutic approaches in allergic asthma. ..
- Rabbi M, Labis B, Metz Boutigue M, Bernstein C, Ghia J. Catestatin decreases macrophage function in two mouse models of experimental colitis. Biochem Pharmacol. 2014;89:386-98 pubmed publisher..Identification of the molecular mechanism underlying the protective role of this peptide may lead to a novel therapeutic option in IBD. ..
- Davidov D, Davis S, Zhu M, Afifi T, Kimber M, Goldstein A, et al. Intimate partner violence-related hospitalizations in Appalachia and the non-Appalachian United States. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184222 pubmed publisher..Exploring disparities in healthcare utilization and costs associated with IPV in Appalachia is critical for the development of programs to effectively target the needs of this population. ..
- Burton T, Liang B, Dibrov A, Amara F. Transcriptional activation and increase in expression of Alzheimer's beta-amyloid precursor protein gene is mediated by TGF-beta in normal human astrocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;295:702-12 pubmed..Closely related processes may induce cerebrovascular pathology in AD brain. ..
- Li L. The biochemistry and physiology of metallic fluoride: action, mechanism, and implications. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2003;14:100-14 pubmed..The aim of this review is to discuss the basic chemical, biochemical, and toxicological properties of metallic fluoride, to explore its potential physiological and clinical implications. ..
- Campbell J, Gangur V, Simons F, Hayglass K. Allergic humans are hyporesponsive to a CXCR3 ligand-mediated Th1 immunity-promoting loop. FASEB J. 2004;18:329-31 pubmed