Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Nova Scotia, Canada
Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
- Getsios D, Caro I, El Hadi W, Caro J. Assessing the economics of vaccination for Neisseria meningitidis in industrialized nations: a review and recommendations for further research. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2004;20:280-8 pubmed..The choice of vaccination strategies cannot be based on the results of existing economic analyses. ..
- Banh H, MacLean C, Topp T, Hall R. The use of tegaserod in critically ill patients with impaired gastric motility. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2005;77:583-6 pubmed..We present 3 case reports of the successful use of tegaserod in intensive care unit patients with impaired gastric motility. To our knowledge, the use of tegaserod in this setting has not been reported or studied previously. ..
- Wilson H, Ellsmere J, Tallon J, Kirkpatrick A. Occult pneumothorax in the blunt trauma patient: tube thoracostomy or observation?. Injury. 2009;40:928-31 pubmed publisher..These are observations that would benefit from further study in a large, prospective randomised controlled trial. ..
- Schwartz C, Wexler L, Krailo M, Teot L, Devidas M, Steinherz L, et al. Intensified Chemotherapy With Dexrazoxane Cardioprotection in Newly Diagnosed Nonmetastatic Osteosarcoma: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2016;63:54-61 pubmed publisher..Dexrazoxane allowed for therapeutic intensification increasing the cumulative doxorubicin dose in SR to induction chemotherapy. These findings support the use of dexrazoxane in children and adolescents with osteosarcoma. ..
- Kajetanowicz A, Kajetanowicz A. Why parents refuse immunization?. Wiad Lek. 2016;69:346-51 pubmed..With so many sources giving so many factors which sometimes contradict themselves, it is indeed difficult for a parent to make a clear decision for their child. ..
- Getsios D, Caro J, Ishak K, El Hadi W, Payne K. Canadian economic comparison of extended-release oxybutynin and immediate-release tolterodine in the treatment of overactive bladder. Clin Ther. 2004;26:431-8 pubmed..The results of these analyses suggest that when priced equivalently, oxybutynin XL would reduce costs and provide better results than tolterodine IR over 1 year of treatment. ..
- Sacrey L, Zwaigenbaum L, Bryson S, Brian J, Smith I, Roberts W, et al. Can parents' concerns predict autism spectrum disorder? A prospective study of high-risk siblings from 6 to 36 months of age. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2015;54:470-8 pubmed publisher..Parent-reported concerns can improve earlier recognition of ASD in HR children. ..
- Baker N, Graham L. Campylobacter fetus translocation across Caco-2 cell monolayers. Microb Pathog. 2010;49:260-72 pubmed publisher..fetus population in the host, while the demonstrated ability to translocate across model intestinal epithelial barriers accounts for the observed in vivo recovery of C. fetus from extra-intestinal locations...
- Dooley J, Gordon K, Dodds L, MacSween J. Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a 30-year population-based incidence study. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010;49:177-9 pubmed publisher..The overall incidence of 1 per 4700 male births remained stable during the 30-year period of the study. Similarly, the age at diagnosis did not change during that time...
- Weaving C, Roberts S. Checking in: an analysis of the (lack of) body checking in women's ice hockey. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2012;83:470-8 pubmed
- McVey J, Petrie D, Tallon J. Air versus ground transport of the major trauma patient: a natural experiment. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2010;14:45-50 pubmed publisher..ground cohorts for comparison. As per TRISS analysis, air transport of the adult major trauma patient is associated with significantly improved survival as compared with ground transport. ..
- Brown M, Kirby S, Skedgel C, Fisk J, Murray T, Bhan V, et al. How effective are disease-modifying drugs in delaying progression in relapsing-onset MS?. Neurology. 2007;69:1498-507 pubmed..Our objective was to estimate the effectiveness of disease-modifying drugs (DMDs) in delaying multiple sclerosis (MS) disability progression in relapsing-onset (R-onset) definite MS patients under "real-world" conditions...
- Kirby R, Cooper R. Applicability of the Wheelchair Skills Program to the Indian context. Disabil Rehabil. 2007;29:969-72 pubmed..However, this preliminary evaluation suggests that WSP training has potential to help the mobility and participation of wheelchair users in India. ..
- Searle L, Graham J, Prasad C, Blake K. CHARGE syndrome from birth to adulthood: an individual reported on from 0 to 33 years. Am J Med Genet A. 2005;133A:344-9 pubmed..At 33 years of age, he lives independently in a supervised group home, receives regular eye check-ups and is being monitored for severely reduced bone density...
- Pohajdak B, Mansour M, Hrytsenko O, Conlon J, Dymond L, Wright J. Production of transgenic tilapia with Brockmann bodies secreting [desThrB30] human insulin. Transgenic Res. 2004;13:313-23 pubmed..Because tilapia islets are exceedingly resistant to hypoxia by mammalian standards, transgenic tilapia islets should be ideal for xenotransplantation using immunoisolation techniques. ..
- Dehghani P, Habib B, Windle S, Roy N, Old W, Grondin F, et al. Smokers and Postcessation Weight Gain After Acute Coronary Syndrome. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00794573. ..
- Alex M, Whitty Rogers J, Panagopoulos W. The language of violence in mental health: shifting the paradigm to the language of peace. ANS Adv Nurs Sci. 2013;36:229-42 pubmed publisher..We propose a shift in discourse within nurse-patient relationships from oppressive and stigmatizing language to the discourse of peace. ..
- Obenson K, Enow Orock G. An overview of the challenges facing death investigation systems in certain resource limited countries. J Forensic Leg Med. 2017;50:58-62 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this paper is to review some of the challenges that impede the proper functioning of a death investigation system in resource limited countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean. Possible solutions are discussed. ..
- MacLean K. The impact of institutionalization on child development. Dev Psychopathol. 2003;15:853-84 pubmed..Methodological and conceptual difficulties in research with institutionalized samples of children are discussed and future directions for research are considered. ..
- Verstraete B. The originality of Tibullus' Marathus elegies. J Homosex. 2005;49:299-313 pubmed..In this tradition, Tibullus' Marathus elegies stand out for their qualities of irony, dramatic engagement, and psychological finesse. ..
- Mahar A, Duizer L. The effect of frequency of consumption of artificial sweeteners on sweetness liking by women. J Food Sci. 2007;72:S714-8 pubmed..Categorization by sweetener type resulted in no significant differences between the groups, indicating that regardless of the type of sweetener consumed in a beverage, liking of sweetness will be influenced in the same manner. ..
- Wilson B, Burnett D, Rappaport R, Parry L, Fletcher E. Relaxin-3 and RXFP3 expression, and steroidogenic actions in the ovary of teleost fish. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2009;153:69-74 pubmed publisher..Relaxin-3 appeared to suppress the release of MIS production. This suggests that relaxin peptides may be involved with estradiol-dependant events in follicular development. ..
- Darvesh S, Hopkins D. Differential distribution of butyrylcholinesterase and acetylcholinesterase in the human thalamus. J Comp Neurol. 2003;463:25-43 pubmed..Involvement of thalamic nuclei in diseases of the nervous system such as Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia suggests that BuChE could be a potential target for therapeutic intervention in these disorders. ..
- Nachar A, Eid H, Vinqvist Tymchuk M, Vuong T, Kalt W, Matar C, et al. Phenolic compounds isolated from fermented blueberry juice decrease hepatocellular glucose output and enhance muscle glucose uptake in cultured murine and human cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:138 pubmed publisher..5??M. This study identifies novel potential antidiabetic compounds that can help standardize FJ. ..
- Sargeant J. Medical education for rural areas: opportunities and challenges for information and communications technologies. J Postgrad Med. 2005;51:301-7 pubmed..Finally, there is need for more rigorous research to more clearly identify advantages and disadvantages of specific uses of ICTs in medical education. ..
- Clarke J, Brglevska S, Lau E, Ramdave S, Hicks R. Atypical brown fat distribution in young males demonstrated on PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med. 2007;32:679-82 pubmed..Although rare in our experience, knowledge of this condition may prevent misinterpretation of this finding as an infiltrative condition of the skin, such as lymphoma. ..
- ..Implications for health practitioners and research are discussed in the context of these consequences. ..
- Farlinger C, Fowles J. The effect of sequence of skating-specific training on skating performance. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2008;3:185-98 pubmed..The improvement in on-ice skating sprint performance when supplemental training progressed in specificity supports the principle of specificity and promotes transfer to a complex sporting movement such as skating. ..
- Acott P, Babel N. BK virus replication following kidney transplant: does the choice of immunosuppressive regimen influence outcomes?. Ann Transplant. 2012;17:86-99 pubmed
- Wang W, Linsdell P. Conformational change opening the CFTR chloride channel pore coupled to ATP-dependent gating. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1818:851-60 pubmed publisher..We propose that ATP-dependent gating of CFTR is associated with the opening and closing of a gate within the permeation pathway at the level of these pore-lining amino acids. ..
- Yegorov S, Good Avila S, Parry L, Wilson B. Relaxin family genes in humans and teleosts. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1160:42-4 pubmed publisher..Differential expression and/or regulation of these genes will be explored in future experimental work. ..
- Komatsu T, Coutler L, Henteleff H, Johnston M, Bethune D. Considering the feasibility of introducing nurse practitioners into Japanese thoracic services. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;16:303-4 pubmed..We would like to introduce amazing roles that are performed by an NP in one Canadian thoracic surgery ward, and to refer to the feasibility of NPs providing clinical services for thoracic surgery in Japan. ..
- McWilliams L, Bailey S. Associations between adult attachment ratings and health conditions: evidence from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Health Psychol. 2010;29:446-53 pubmed publisher..Further research regarding the role of attachment in the development of specific health conditions is warranted. ..
- Moncrieff M, Livingston L. Reliability of a digital-photographic-goniometric method for coronal-plane lower limb measurements. J Sport Rehabil. 2009;18:296-315 pubmed..Structural and coronal-plane-alignment characteristics of the lower limb are frequently cited as factors contributing to knee pathologies...
- Williams P, McIntyre L, Dayle J, Raine K. The 'wonderfulness' of children's feeding programs. Health Promot Int. 2003;18:163-70 pubmed..We challenge health promoters to beware of the 'wonderful' program; its 'wonderfulness' may actually be masking unintended negative impacts upon its participants. ..