Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Nova Scotia, Canada
Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
- Ghaly A, Marsh D. Aging-associated oxidative stress modulates the acute inflammatory response in skeletal muscle after contusion injury. Exp Gerontol. 2010;45:381-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that aging-associated oxidative stress in muscles of old rats exacerbated the inflammatory response to contusion injury and leads to increased TGF-beta1-induced collagen content. ..
- Gibson G, CARVER D. Effects of extra-embryonic provisioning on larval morphology and histogenesis in Boccardia proboscidea (Annelida, Spionidae). J Morphol. 2013;274:11-23 pubmed publisher..Lack of adelphophagy in planktotrophic larvae remains enigmatic but these results indicate that morphology alone does not account for the arrested development shown by these larvae. ..
- Nachar A, Eid H, Vinqvist Tymchuk M, Vuong T, Kalt W, Matar C, et al. Phenolic compounds isolated from fermented blueberry juice decrease hepatocellular glucose output and enhance muscle glucose uptake in cultured murine and human cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:138 pubmed publisher..5??M. This study identifies novel potential antidiabetic compounds that can help standardize FJ. ..
- Marshall W, Watters K, Hovdestad L, Cozzi R, Katoh F. CFTR Cl- channel functional regulation by phosphorylation of focal adhesion kinase at tyrosine 407 in osmosensitive ion transporting mitochondria rich cells of euryhaline killifish. J Exp Biol. 2009;212:2365-77 pubmed publisher..We conclude that hormone mediated, cAMP dependent and osmotically mediated, cAMP independent pathways converge on a mechanism to activate CFTR and Cl(-) secretion, possibly through tyrosine phosphorylation of CFTR by FAK. ..
- Marshall W, Singer T. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator in teleost fish. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1566:16-27 pubmed..The facility with which teleosts regulate CFTR expression and activation during salinity adaptation make this system an appealing model for the expression and trafficking operation of this labile gene product...
- Daborn K, Cozzi R, Marshall W. Dynamics of pavement cell-chloride cell interactions during abrupt salinity change in Fundulus heteroclitus. J Exp Biol. 2001;204:1889-99 pubmed..We conclude that the actin cytoskeleton of chloride cells is required to maintain crypt opening and that osmotic shock causes chloride cells to adjust their apical crypt size. ..
- Marshall W, Howard J, Cozzi R, Lynch E. NaCl and fluid secretion by the intestine of the teleost Fundulus heteroclitus: involvement of CFTR. J Exp Biol. 2002;205:745-58 pubmed
- Duffy K, Slusar J. Monocular deprivation provokes alteration of the neuronal cytoskeleton in developing cat lateral geniculate nucleus. Vis Neurosci. 2009;26:319-28 pubmed publisher..Monocular deprivation initiated beyond early life produced neither a change in structure nor a loss of neurofilament labeling. ..
- Boulianne B, Evans R, Smith T. Phylogenetic analysis of Hepatozoon species (Apicomplexa: Adeleorina) infecting frogs of Nova Scotia, Canada, determined by ITS-1 sequences. J Parasitol. 2007;93:1435-41 pubmed publisher..clamatae. Phylogenetic data based on molecular variation and cytopathological features from this study provide the strongest evidence to date supporting the distinction between these 2 species...
- Marshall W, Bellamy D. The 50 year evolution of in vitro systems to reveal salt transport functions of teleost fish gills. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2010;155:275-80 pubmed publisher..Each new approach brought new findings but is subject to certain limitations and each has contributed significantly to this important subfield of comparative physiology...
- Shutler D, Lowe A, Robinson S. Relationships between circulating leucocytes and Leucocytozoon simondi in mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, ducklings. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2010;156:46-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results did not reveal tight links between leucocyte profiles and parasitism by L. simondi. Our data suggest that L. simondi was relatively benign to our wild ducks...
- Juusola M, Niven J, French A. Shaker K+ channels contribute early nonlinear amplification to the light response in Drosophila photoreceptors. J Neurophysiol. 2003;90:2014-21 pubmed
- Russell A, Watanabe Y, Charette J, Gray M. Unusual features of fibrillarin cDNA and gene structure in Euglena gracilis: evolutionary conservation of core proteins and structural predictions for methylation-guide box C/D snoRNPs throughout the domain Eucarya. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:2781-91 pubmed
- Górska Andrzejak J, Stowers R, Borycz J, Kostyleva R, Schwarz T, Meinertzhagen I. Mitochondria are redistributed in Drosophila photoreceptors lacking milton, a kinesin-associated protein. J Comp Neurol. 2003;463:372-88 pubmed..Our findings indicate the direct and compensatory responses in a population of neurons when mitochondria are not correctly targeted to their synaptic terminals. ..
- Wang W, Linsdell P. Conformational change opening the CFTR chloride channel pore coupled to ATP-dependent gating. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1818:851-60 pubmed publisher..We propose that ATP-dependent gating of CFTR is associated with the opening and closing of a gate within the permeation pathway at the level of these pore-lining amino acids. ..
- Gibson G, Hart C, Coulter C, Xu H. Nurse eggs form through an active process of apoptosis in the spionid Polydora cornuta (Annelida). Integr Comp Biol. 2012;52:151-60 pubmed publisher..cornuta embryos, it was not detected until later in development. This suggests that nurse eggs originate through heterochrony in a developmental process (apoptosis) that is common to all young of P. cornuta...
- Pohajdak B, Mansour M, Hrytsenko O, Conlon J, Dymond L, Wright J. Production of transgenic tilapia with Brockmann bodies secreting [desThrB30] human insulin. Transgenic Res. 2004;13:313-23 pubmed..Because tilapia islets are exceedingly resistant to hypoxia by mammalian standards, transgenic tilapia islets should be ideal for xenotransplantation using immunoisolation techniques. ..
- Marshall W, Ossum C, Hoffmann E. Hypotonic shock mediation by p38 MAPK, JNK, PKC, FAK, OSR1 and SPAK in osmosensing chloride secreting cells of killifish opercular epithelium. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1063-77 pubmed
- Nicholson T, Dibb S, Renton K. Nitric oxide mediates an LPS-induced depression of cytochrome P450 (CYP1A) activity in astrocytes. Brain Res. 2004;1029:148-54 pubmed..Taken together, these observations suggest that NO plays a pivotal role in the inflammation mediated loss in CYP1A activity in the brain. ..
- Kalmokoff M, Waddington L, Thomas M, Liang K, Ma C, Topp E, et al. Continuous feeding of antimicrobial growth promoters to commercial swine during the growing/finishing phase does not modify faecal community erythromycin resistance or community structure. J Appl Microbiol. 2011;110:1414-25 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that if AGP-mediated alterations to gut communities are an important mechanism for growth promotion, it is unlikely that these would be associated with the colonic community. ..
- Yegorov S, Good Avila S, Parry L, Wilson B. Relaxin family genes in humans and teleosts. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1160:42-4 pubmed publisher..Differential expression and/or regulation of these genes will be explored in future experimental work. ..
- Wilson B, Burnett D, Rappaport R, Parry L, Fletcher E. Relaxin-3 and RXFP3 expression, and steroidogenic actions in the ovary of teleost fish. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2009;153:69-74 pubmed publisher..Relaxin-3 appeared to suppress the release of MIS production. This suggests that relaxin peptides may be involved with estradiol-dependant events in follicular development. ..