Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rats in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Locale: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Publications360 found, 100 shown here
- Sedgwick E, Bragg P. Mechanism of energization of uptake of the fluorescent dye 2-(4-dimethylaminostyryl)-1-ethylpyridinium cation [DMP+] into an acrA strain of Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992;1099:51-6 pubmed..Attempts to demonstrate the latter mechanism in everted membrane vesicles were unsuccessful...
- Nekooeian A, Tabrizchi R. Effects of adenosine A2A receptor agonist, CGS 21680, on blood pressure, cardiac index and arterial conductance in anaesthetized rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 1996;307:163-9 pubmed
- Wellington C, Singaraja R, Ellerby L, Savill J, Roy S, Leavitt B, et al. Inhibiting caspase cleavage of huntingtin reduces toxicity and aggregate formation in neuronal and nonneuronal cells. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:19831-8 pubmed..These results suggest that inhibiting caspase cleavage of htt may therefore be of potential therapeutic benefit in Huntington's disease. ..
- Guttman J, Janmey P, Vogl A. Gelsolin--evidence for a role in turnover of junction-related actin filaments in Sertoli cells. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:499-505 pubmed..This Ca(2+) surge would facilitate the actin severing function of gelsolin within the adhesion complex. ..
- Portigal C, Cowell S, Fedoruk M, Butler C, Rennie P, Nelson C. Polychlorinated biphenyls interfere with androgen-induced transcriptional activation and hormone binding. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2002;179:185-94 pubmed..Ligand-binding studies demonstrate that endocrine activities of PCB mixtures and congeners on AR are likely due to direct and specific binding to AR ligand-binding domain. ..
- Hiebert G, Khodarahmi K, McGraw J, Steeves J, Tetzlaff W. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor applied to the motor cortex promotes sprouting of corticospinal fibers but not regeneration into a peripheral nerve transplant. J Neurosci Res. 2002;69:160-8 pubmed..g., BDNF, can be used to enhance sprouting of corticospinal axons within the spinal cord. Whether such sprouting leads to functional recovery after spinal cord injury is currently under investigation. ..
- Floresco S, Magyar O, Ghods Sharifi S, Vexelman C, Tse M. Multiple dopamine receptor subtypes in the medial prefrontal cortex of the rat regulate set-shifting. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006;31:297-309 pubmed..These findings may have important implications for developing novel treatments for cognitive deficits observed in disorders such as attentional deficit and hyperactivity disorder and schizophrenia. ..
- Dong X, Mann M, Sessle B, Arendt Nielsen L, Svensson P, Cairns B. Sensitivity of rat temporalis muscle afferent fibers to peripheral N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor activation. Neuroscience. 2006;141:939-45 pubmed..These results suggest that unlike masseter afferent fibers, temporalis afferent fibers are relatively insensitive to peripheral N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor activation. ..
- Shih A, Erb H, Sun X, Toda S, Kalivas P, Murphy T. Cystine/glutamate exchange modulates glutathione supply for neuroprotection from oxidative stress and cell proliferation. J Neurosci. 2006;26:10514-23 pubmed..Furthermore, xCT is critical for cell proliferation during development in vitro and possibly in vivo. ..
- Floresco S, Tse M, Ghods Sharifi S. Dopaminergic and glutamatergic regulation of effort- and delay-based decision making. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008;33:1966-79 pubmed..Furthermore, they suggest that dopamine and NMDA receptors make dissociable contributions to these different types of cost-benefit analyses. ..
- Kim M, Kewalramani G, Puthanveetil P, Lee V, Kumar U, An D, et al. Acute diabetes moderates trafficking of cardiac lipoprotein lipase through p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent actin cytoskeleton organization. Diabetes. 2008;57:64-76 pubmed
- Brust T, Cayabyab F, MacVicar B. C-Jun N-terminal kinase regulates adenosine A1 receptor-mediated synaptic depression in the rat hippocampus. Neuropharmacology. 2007;53:906-17 pubmed
- Ryu J, Cho T, Choi H, Wang Y, McLarnon J. Microglial VEGF receptor response is an integral chemotactic component in Alzheimer's disease pathology. J Neurosci. 2009;29:3-13 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest critical functional roles for Flt-1 in mediating microglial chemotactic inflammatory responses which contribute to pathological conditions in AD brain. ..
- Rose J, Jin S, Craig A. Heterosynaptic molecular dynamics: locally induced propagating synaptic accumulation of CaM kinase II. Neuron. 2009;61:351-8 pubmed publisher..L-IPS translocation of CaMKII alters biochemical signaling and is associated with an increase in AMPA receptor GluR1 at both stimulated and nonstimulated synapses and thus provides a molecular mechanism for heterosynaptic plasticity. ..
- Gooderham W, Gellatly S, Sanschagrin F, McPhee J, Bains M, Cosseau C, et al. The sensor kinase PhoQ mediates virulence in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Microbiology. 2009;155:699-711 pubmed publisher..It was also demonstrated that PhoQ controls the expression of many genes outside the known PhoP regulon. ..
- Brenner C, Krishnan G, Vohs J, Ahn W, Hetrick W, Morzorati S, et al. Steady state responses: electrophysiological assessment of sensory function in schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull. 2009;35:1065-77 pubmed publisher..The developmental evolution of these abnormalities remains to be characterized. ..
- Lee M, Tazzari V, Giustarini D, Rossi R, Sparatore A, Del Soldato P, et al. Effects of hydrogen sulfide-releasing L-DOPA derivatives on glial activation: potential for treating Parkinson disease. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:17318-28 pubmed publisher..The H(2)S-releasing L-DOPA hybrid molecules also inhibited MAO B activity. They may be useful for the treatment of PD because of their significant antiinflammatory, antioxidant, and neuroprotective properties. ..
- Yang Y, Rossi F, Putnins E. Periodontal regeneration using engineered bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells. Biomaterials. 2010;31:8574-82 pubmed publisher..Finally, donor-derived BM-MSCs were found integrated in newly formed bone, cementum and periodontal ligament, suggesting that they can directly contribute to the regeneration of cells of these tissues...
- Pouladi M, Brillaud E, Xie Y, Conforti P, Graham R, Ehrnhoefer D, et al. NP03, a novel low-dose lithium formulation, is neuroprotective in the YAC128 mouse model of Huntington disease. Neurobiol Dis. 2012;48:282-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that NP03 ameliorates the motor and neuropathological phenotypes in the YAC128 mouse model of HD, and represents a potential therapeutic approach for HD. ..
- Plemel J, Manesh S, Sparling J, Tetzlaff W. Myelin inhibits oligodendroglial maturation and regulates oligodendrocytic transcription factor expression. Glia. 2013;61:1471-87 pubmed publisher..However, knockdown of ID2 and/or ID4 in OPCs did not increase oligodendroglial maturation on or off of myelin, suggesting that contact with myelin regulates additional regulatory elements. ..
- Hobson J, Wright J, Churg A. Active oxygen species mediate asbestos fiber uptake by tracheal epithelial cells. FASEB J. 1990;4:3135-9 pubmed..We conclude that uptake of amosite asbestos fibers is mediated in part by active oxygen species (most likely OH.), but that other mechanisms of fiber uptake must also exist. ..
- Winz R, Hess D, Aebersold R, Brownsey R. Unique structural features and differential phosphorylation of the 280-kDa component (isozyme) of rat liver acetyl-CoA carboxylase. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:14438-45 pubmed
- Roskelley C, Auersperg N. Rapid ras-oncogene-mediated transformation maintains steroidogenic differentiation in adrenocortical parenchymal cells. Differentiation. 1995;59:103-11 pubmed
- Chan H, Lougheed M, Laher I, Steinbrecher U. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein inhibits endothelium-dependent vasodilation by an antioxidant-sensitive, lysophosphatidylcholine-independent mechanism. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2003;41:856-65 pubmed
- Hinke S, Manhart S, Kühn Wache K, Nian C, Demuth H, Pederson R, et al. [Ser2]- and [SerP2] incretin analogs: comparison of dipeptidyl peptidase IV resistance and biological activities in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3998-4006 pubmed..Hence, Ser(P)2-modified incretins present as novel glucose-lowering agents. ..
- Xia Z, Kuo K, McNeill J, Ansley D. Endothelin A and B receptor antagonist bosentan reduces postischemic myocardial injury in the rat: critical timing of administration. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005;83:259-66 pubmed..Endothelin-1 antagonist application during early reperfusion may exacerbate postischemic myocardial dysfunction. ..
- Xu J, Sastry B. Benzodiazepine involvement in LTP of the GABA-ergic IPSC in rat hippocampal CA1 neurons. Brain Res. 2005;1062:134-43 pubmed..These results indicate that the maintenance of LTP of the IPSC involves (a) the release of endogenous benzodiazepine agonist(s) and/or (b) the participation of benzodiazepine binding sites on subsynaptic GABA(A) receptors. ..
- Shih A, Erb H, Murphy T. Dopamine activates Nrf2-regulated neuroprotective pathways in astrocytes and meningeal cells. J Neurochem. 2007;101:109-19 pubmed..These in vitro results suggest Nrf2 activity in astrocytes and meningeal cells link the neurotoxic actions of dopamine to neuroprotective pathways that may potentially modulate ischemic injury and neurodegeneration. ..
- Miklossy J, Kasas S, Zurn A, McCall S, Yu S, McGeer P. Persisting atypical and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi and local inflammation in Lyme neuroborreliosis. J Neuroinflammation. 2008;5:40 pubmed publisher..The detection and recognition of atypical, cystic and granular forms in infected tissues is essential for the diagnosis and the treatment as they can occur in the absence of the typical spiral Borrelia form. ..
- Huang B, Wang Y, Wang X, Wang Z, Proud C. Blocking eukaryotic initiation factor 4F complex formation does not inhibit the mTORC1-dependent activation of protein synthesis in cardiomyocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H505-14 pubmed publisher..Therefore, other mTORC1 targets are more important in the inhibition by rapamycin of the rapid activation of protein synthesis and of cell growth. ..
- Gazerani P, Dong X, Wang M, Kumar U, Cairns B. Sensitization of rat facial cutaneous mechanoreceptors by activation of peripheral N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors. Brain Res. 2010;1319:70-82 pubmed publisher..Subcutaneous injection of glutamate mechanically sensitizes rat facial cutaneous mechanoreceptors through activation of peripheral NMDA receptors. Peripheral NMDA receptor antagonists may be considered for craniofacial pain. ..
- Pawluski J, Barakauskas V, Galea L. Pregnancy decreases oestrogen receptor alpha expression and pyknosis, but not cell proliferation or survival, in the hippocampus. J Neuroendocrinol. 2010;22:248-57 pubmed publisher..Future studies will aim to investigate the mechanisms and consequences of the alteration in ERalpha expression in the hippocampus during late pregnancy, as well as the possible changes in ERbeta expression at this time. ..
- Lee J, Tigchelaar S, Liu J, Stammers A, Streijger F, Tetzlaff W, et al. Lack of neuroprotective effects of simvastatin and minocycline in a model of cervical spinal cord injury. Exp Neurol. 2010;225:219-30 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, both minocycline and simvastatin failed to improve functional and histological recovery in our model of contusive cervical spinal cord injury. ..
- Lee M, Guo J, Schwab C, McGeer E, McGeer P. Selective inhibition of the membrane attack complex of complement by low molecular weight components of the aurin tricarboxylic acid synthetic complex. Neurobiol Aging. 2012;33:2237-46 pubmed publisher..Aurin tricarboxylic acid, aurin quadracarboxylic acid, and aurin hexacarboxylic acid may be effective therapeutic agents in Alzheimer disease and other degenerative disorders where self damage from the MAC occurs. ..
- She K, Rose J, Craig A. Differential stimulus-dependent synaptic recruitment of CaMKII? by intracellular determinants of GluN2B. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2012;51:68-78 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the complex regulatory properties and molecular interactions of CaMKII?, a key player in synaptic plasticity. ..
- Topping G, Schaffer P, Hoehr C, Ruth T, Sossi V. Manganese-52 positron emission tomography tracer characterization and initial results in phantoms and in vivo. Med Phys. 2013;40:042502 pubmed publisher..Potential applications include studies similar to Mn-enhanced neuronal MRI, and in other organ systems including bones, spinal cord, and the digestive tract. ..
- Xia J, Fjell C, Mayer M, Pena O, Wishart D, Hancock R. INMEX--a web-based tool for integrative meta-analysis of expression data. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:W63-70 pubmed publisher..Complex operations are performed through a user-friendly web interface in a step-by-step manner. INMEX is freely available at http://www.inmex.ca. ..
- Fan X, Jin W, Lu J, Wang J, Wang Y. Rapid and reversible knockdown of endogenous proteins by peptide-directed lysosomal degradation. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:471-80 pubmed publisher..Our study provides a robust and convenient research tool for manipulating endogenous protein levels and may also lead to the development of protein knockdown-based therapeutics for treating human diseases. ..
- Honer W, Hu L, Davies P. Human synaptic proteins with a heterogeneous distribution in cerebellum and visual cortex. Brain Res. 1993;609:9-20 pubmed..The SP antibodies may be useful probes for studies of human synaptic proteins, and for studies of pathological conditions which disrupt these molecules. ..
- Zay K, Loo S, Xie C, Devine D, Wright J, Churg A. Role of neutrophils and alpha1-antitrypsin in coal- and silica-induced connective tissue breakdown. Am J Physiol. 1999;276:L269-79 pubmed..G. Liou and E. J. Campbell. Biochemistry 34: 16171-16177, 1995). Macrophage-derived proteases may be of increasing importance over time, especially in coal-treated animals. ..
- Babic I, Schallhorn A, Lindberg F, Jirik F. SHPS-1 induces aggregation of Ba/F3 pro-B cells via an interaction with CD47. J Immunol. 2000;164:3652-8 pubmed..Although SHPS-1-CD47 binding likely triggers bidirectional intracellular signaling processes, these results demonstrate that this interaction can also mediate cell-cell adhesion. ..
- Dan P, Cheung J, Scriven D, Moore E. Epitope-dependent localization of estrogen receptor-alpha, but not -beta, in en face arterial endothelium. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2003;284:H1295-306 pubmed..We postulate that the different ER alpha conformations at the membrane, in the nucleus, and between different cell types allow E(2) to trigger cell- and location-specific signaling cascades. ..
- Nagareddy P, Xia Z, Macleod K, McNeill J. N-acetylcysteine prevents nitrosative stress-associated depression of blood pressure and heart rate in streptozotocin diabetic rats. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2006;47:513-20 pubmed..The results suggest that nitrosative stress depress MABP and HR following diabetes. Further studies are required to elucidate the mechanisms involved in nitrosative stress mediated depression of blood pressure and heart rate. ..
- Ghosh S, Kewalramani G, Yuen G, Pulinilkunnil T, An D, Innis S, et al. Induction of mitochondrial nitrative damage and cardiac dysfunction by chronic provision of dietary omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Free Radic Biol Med. 2006;41:1413-24 pubmed..Our study, for the first time, demonstrates that consumption of a high fat diet rich in omega-6 PUFA for only 4 weeks instigates mitochondrial nitrosative damage and causes cardiac dysfunction at high afterloads. ..
- Sliwowska J, Lan N, Yamashita F, Halpert A, Viau V, Weinberg J. Effects of prenatal ethanol exposure on regulation of basal hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal activity and hippocampal 5-HT1A receptor mRNA levels in female rats across the estrous cycle. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2008;33:1111-23 pubmed publisher
- Wang Y, Huang B, Luciani D, Wang X, Johnson J, Proud C. Rheb activates protein synthesis and growth in adult rat ventricular cardiomyocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2008;45:812-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that Rheb itself can activate both protein synthesis and cell growth in ARVC and demonstrate the key role played by mTORC1 in the growth of cardiomyocytes. ..
- Sharma V, Mustafa S, Patel N, Wambolt R, Allard M, McNeill J. Stimulation of cardiac fatty acid oxidation by leptin is mediated by a nitric oxide-p38 MAPK-dependent mechanism. Eur J Pharmacol. 2009;617:113-7 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that leptin stimulates fatty acid oxidation by a STAT-3-nitric oxide-p38 MAPK-dependent mechanism. The target of the pathway is upstream of the mitochondria. ..
- Arstikaitis P, Gauthier Campbell C, Huang K, El Husseini A, Murphy T. Proteins that promote filopodia stability, but not number, lead to more axonal-dendritic contacts. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16998 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that increased filopodia stability and not density, may be the rate-limiting step for synapse formation. ..
- Dobie F, Craig A. Inhibitory synapse dynamics: coordinated presynaptic and postsynaptic mobility and the major contribution of recycled vesicles to new synapse formation. J Neurosci. 2011;31:10481-93 pubmed publisher..Altogether, the long-term imaging of GABAergic presynaptic and postsynaptic components reveals complex dynamics and perpetual remodeling with implications for mechanisms of assembly and synaptic integration. ..
- Barha C, Galea L. The hormone therapy, Premarin, impairs hippocampus-dependent spatial learning and memory and reduces activation of new granule neurons in response to memory in female rats. Neurobiol Aging. 2013;34:986-1004 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Premarin may be impairing hippocampus-dependent learning and memory by negatively altering the neurogenic environment in the dentate gyrus thus disrupting normal activity of new neurons. ..
- Tang V, Young A, Tan H, Beasley C, Wang J. Glucocorticoids increase protein carbonylation and mitochondrial dysfunction. Horm Metab Res. 2013;45:709-15 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that excessive glucocorticoid activity can increase oxidative damage to protein, possibly by inhibiting activities of mitochondrial complex I and antioxidant enzyme SOD. ..
- Lan N, Hellemans K, Ellis L, Weinberg J. Exposure to Chronic Mild Stress Differentially Alters Corticotropin-Releasing Hormone and Arginine Vasopressin mRNA Expression in the Stress-Responsive Neurocircuitry of Male and Female Rats Prenatally Exposed to Alcohol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2015;39:2414-21 pubmed publisher
- Starr T, Prystay W, Snutch T. Primary structure of a calcium channel that is highly expressed in the rat cerebellum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:5621-5 pubmed..The rbA cDNA appears to encode a Ca channel alpha 1 subunit that is distinct from the dihydropyridine-sensitive Ca channel sequences and that is expressed in a variety of excitable cells. ..
- Albert D, Jonik R, Watson N, Moe I, Walsh M. Aggression by a female rat cohabitating with a sterile male: termination of pseudopregnancy does not abolish aggression. Physiol Behav. 1991;50:519-23 pubmed..Since pseudopregnancy is known to last 13 days, these results indicate that the continuous presence of pseudopregnancy is not required for maintenance of aggression by a female cohabiting with a sterile male. ..
- McRory J, Hamid J, Doering C, Garcia E, Parker R, Hamming K, et al. The CACNA1F gene encodes an L-type calcium channel with unique biophysical properties and tissue distribution. J Neurosci. 2004;24:1707-18 pubmed..Immunohistochemical analyses show that, in contrast with previous reports, Ca(v)1.4 is widely distributed outside the retina, including in the immune system, thus suggesting a broader role in human physiology. ..
- Choi W, Khurana A, Mathur R, Viswanathan V, Steele D, Fedida D. Kv1.5 surface expression is modulated by retrograde trafficking of newly endocytosed channels by the dynein motor. Circ Res. 2005;97:363-71 pubmed..This work has significant implications for understanding the way Kv channel surface expression is regulated. ..
- Richter M, Fletcher P, Liu J, Tetzlaff W, Roskams A. Lamina propria and olfactory bulb ensheathing cells exhibit differential integration and migration and promote differential axon sprouting in the lesioned spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2005;25:10700-11 pubmed
- Chan C, Wong A, Liu J, Steeves J, Tetzlaff W. ROCK inhibition with Y27632 activates astrocytes and increases their expression of neurite growth-inhibitory chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans. Glia. 2007;55:369-84 pubmed..This increased expression of inhibitory CSPGs in the ECM of the glial scar may counteract the growth promoting effects of ROCK inhibition on axonal growth cones. ..
- Ghrebi S, Owen G, Brunette D. Triton X-100 pretreatment of LR-white thin sections improves immunofluorescence specificity and intensity. Microsc Res Tech. 2007;70:555-62 pubmed..This novel technique could be applied in many research areas where postembedding fluorescent immunolabeling with higher labeling intensity is desired. ..
- Kozlowski P, Raj D, Liu J, Lam C, Yung A, Tetzlaff W. Characterizing white matter damage in rat spinal cord with quantitative MRI and histology. J Neurotrauma. 2008;25:653-76 pubmed publisher..58 and 0.33, respectively). This study demonstrates that quantitative MRI can accurately characterize white matter damage in DC Tx model of injury in rat spinal cord. ..
- Kagami T, Chen S, Memar P, Choi M, Foster L, Numata M. Identification and biochemical characterization of the SLC9A7 interactome. Mol Membr Biol. 2008;25:436-47 pubmed publisher..When lipid rafts were chemically disrupted, the NHE7-CD44 interaction was markedly reduced. These results suggest potential dual roles of NHE7 in intracellular compartments and subdomains of cell-surface membranes. ..
- Chang T. Activation of pregnane X receptor (PXR) and constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) by herbal medicines. AAPS J. 2009;11:590-601 pubmed publisher..The overall aim of this article is to provide an overview of our current understanding of the role of herbal medicines as modulators of PXR and CAR. ..
- Dong X, Svensson P, Cairns B. The analgesic action of topical diclofenac may be mediated through peripheral NMDA receptor antagonism. Pain. 2009;147:36-45 pubmed publisher..This property may contribute to the analgesic effect of topical diclofenac when used for muscle pain. ..
- Sharma V, Abraham T, So A, Allard M, McNeill J. Functional effects of protein kinases and peroxynitrite on cardiac carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1 in isolated mitochondria. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010;337:223-37 pubmed publisher..These studies have identified a new regulatory system of kinases, scaffolding proteins and thiol redox chemistry which can control cardiac CPT-1 in vitro. ..
- Zeeb F, Floresco S, Winstanley C. Contributions of the orbitofrontal cortex to impulsive choice: interactions with basal levels of impulsivity, dopamine signalling, and reward-related cues. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010;211:87-98 pubmed publisher..However, lesions of the OFC in rats have both increased and decreased impulsivity in delay-discounting paradigms, where impulsive choice is defined as the selection of small immediate over larger delayed rewards...
- Scriven D, Asghari P, Schulson M, Moore E. Analysis of Cav1.2 and ryanodine receptor clusters in rat ventricular myocytes. Biophys J. 2010;99:3923-9 pubmed publisher..2 showed no preferential localization and were broadly distributed. These results provide a wealth of morphometric data that are essential for understanding intracellular Ca2+ regulation and modeling Ca2+ dynamics. ..
- Deb S, Bandiera S. Regulation of cytochrome P450 1B1 expression by luteinizing hormone in mouse MA-10 and rat R2C Leydig cells: role of protein kinase A. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:89-96 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the results identify PRKA as the major signaling pathway involved in the LH-mediated regulation of testicular CYP1B1 expression in Leydig tumor cells. ..
- Bingham B, Myung C, Innala L, Gray M, Anonuevo A, Viau V. Androgen receptors in the posterior bed nucleus of the stria terminalis increase neuropeptide expression and the stress-induced activation of the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:1433-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that a subset of androgen receptor-expressing cells within the posterior BST region may be responsible for increasing the biosynthetic capacity and stress-induced drive of PVN motor neurons. ..
- Gilchrist S, Lange D, Letchford K, Bach H, Fazli L, Burt H. Fusidic acid and rifampicin co-loaded PLGA nanofibers for the prevention of orthopedic implant associated infections. J Control Release. 2013;170:64-73 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, lead formulations containing 10% (w/w) FA/SF and 5% (w/w) RIF were able to prevent the adherence of MRSA to a titanium implant in an in vivo rodent model of subcutaneous implant-associated infection. ..
- Chou W, Hinderlich S, Reutter W, Tanner M. Sialic acid biosynthesis: stereochemistry and mechanism of the reaction catalyzed by the mammalian UDP-N-acetylglucosamine 2-epimerase. J Am Chem Soc. 2003;125:2455-61 pubmed..Overall, these results support a reaction mechanism involving an anti-elimination of UDP to give 2-acetamidoglucal, followed by a syn-addition of water. ..
- Mann M, Dong X, Svensson P, Cairns B. Influence of intramuscular nerve growth factor injection on the response properties of rat masseter muscle afferent fibers. J Orofac Pain. 2006;20:325-36 pubmed..To investigate whether local administration of nerve growth factor (NGF) decreases the mechanical threshold (MT) of putative nociceptive masseter afferent fibers as part of its mechanism of mechanical sensitization...
- Zhang S, Taghibiglou C, Girling K, Dong Z, Lin S, Lee W, et al. Critical role of increased PTEN nuclear translocation in excitotoxic and ischemic neuronal injuries. J Neurosci. 2013;33:7997-8008 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that inhibition of PTEN nuclear translocation may represent a novel after stroke therapy. ..
- Bigg H, Shi Y, Liu Y, Steffensen B, Overall C. Specific, high affinity binding of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-4 (TIMP-4) to the COOH-terminal hemopexin-like domain of human gelatinase A. TIMP-4 binds progelatinase A and the COOH-terminal domain in a similar manner to TIMP-2. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:15496-500 pubmed..This new phenomenon may be of important physiological significance in modulating the cell surface activation of progelatinase A. ..
- El Husseini A, Kwasnicka D, Yamada T, Hirohashi S, Vincent S. BERP, a novel ring finger protein, binds to alpha-actinin-4. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;267:906-11 pubmed..These proteins could also be colocalized immunohistochemically in the cytoplasm of differentiated PC12 cells. We suggest that BERP may anchor class V myosins to particular cell domains via its interaction with alpha-actinin-4. ..
- Ozog M, Bernier S, Bates D, Chatterjee B, Lo C, Naus C. The complex of ciliary neurotrophic factor-ciliary neurotrophic factor receptor alpha up-regulates connexin43 and intercellular coupling in astrocytes via the Janus tyrosine kinase/signal transducer and activator of transcription pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4761-74 pubmed..Together in the presence of soluble receptor, CNTF activates the JAK/STAT pathway leading to enhanced Cx43 expression and intercellular coupling. ..
- Kim S, Winter K, Nian C, Tsuneoka M, Koda Y, McIntosh C. Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) stimulation of pancreatic beta-cell survival is dependent upon phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K)/protein kinase B (PKB) signaling, inactivation of the forkhead transcription factor Foxo1, and down. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:22297-307 pubmed..The results show that PI3K/PKB/Foxo1 signaling mediates GIP suppression of bax gene expression and that this module is a key pathway by which GIP regulates beta-cell apoptosis in vivo. ..
- Romanish M, Lock W, van de Lagemaat L, Dunn C, Mager D. Repeated recruitment of LTR retrotransposons as promoters by the anti-apoptotic locus NAIP during mammalian evolution. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e10 pubmed..We propose several potential explanations for these findings, including a hypothesis that recruitment of LTRs near NAIP or other IAP genes may represent a host-cell adaptation to modulate apoptotic responses. ..
- Butts K, Phillips A. Glucocorticoid receptors in the prefrontal cortex regulate dopamine efflux to stress via descending glutamatergic feedback to the ventral tegmental area. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2013;16:1799-807 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that glucocorticoids act locally within the mPFC to modulate mesocortical DA efflux by potentiation of glutamatergic drive onto DA neurons in the VTA. ..
- Dubel S, Starr T, Hell J, Ahlijanian M, Enyeart J, Catterall W, et al. Molecular cloning of the alpha-1 subunit of an omega-conotoxin-sensitive calcium channel. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:5058-62 pubmed..This brain Ca channel may mediate the omega-conotoxin-sensitive Ca influx required for neurotransmitter release at many synapses. ..
- Liu Z, Ren J, Murphy T. Decoding of synaptic voltage waveforms by specific classes of recombinant high-threshold Ca(2+) channels. J Physiol. 2003;553:473-88 pubmed..We propose that in response to complex synaptic voltage waveforms P/Q- and N-type channels can undergo selective voltage-dependent inactivation leading to a Ca(2+) current mediated predominantly by L-type channels. ..
- An D, Kewalramani G, Chan J, Qi D, Ghosh S, Pulinilkunnil T, et al. Metformin influences cardiomyocyte cell death by pathways that are dependent and independent of caspase-3. Diabetologia. 2006;49:2174-84 pubmed..However, at high concentrations, metformin causes proton and lactate accumulation, leading to cell damage that is independent of caspase-3. ..
- Floresco S, Block A, Tse M. Inactivation of the medial prefrontal cortex of the rat impairs strategy set-shifting, but not reversal learning, using a novel, automated procedure. Behav Brain Res. 2008;190:85-96 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they reveal that the relative difficulty of the type of shift rats are required to perform has a direct impact on whether or not the mPFC contributes to this form of behavioral flexibility. ..
- Pereira C, Clarke E, Damen J. Hematopoietic colony-forming cell assays. Methods Mol Biol. 2007;407:177-208 pubmed publisher..This chapter outlines the materials and methods used for the culture and assessment of CFC from humans, mice, and other species. ..
- Puthanveetil P, Wang F, Kewalramani G, Kim M, Hosseini Beheshti E, Ng N, et al. Cardiac glycogen accumulation after dexamethasone is regulated by AMPK. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;295:H1753-62 pubmed publisher..Should these effects persist chronically in the heart, they may explain the increased morbidity and mortality observed with long-term excesses in endogenous or exogenous glucocorticoids. ..
- Namjoshi D, McErlane S, Taepavarapruk N, Soja P. Network actions of pentobarbital in the rat mesopontine tegmentum on sensory inflow through the spinothalamic tract. J Neurophysiol. 2009;102:700-13 pubmed publisher..This study provides a provenance for investigating electrophysiologically the actions on STT neurons of other current agents used clinically to maintain the state of general anesthesia. ..
- Liu J, Wu D, Wang Y. Allosteric potentiation of glycine receptor chloride currents by glutamate. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:1225-32 pubmed publisher..Such a rapid homeostatic regulatory mechanism may be important for tuning functional balance between synaptic excitation and inhibition in the CNS. ..