Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neurons in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Locale: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
- Nicholson R, Liao C, Zheng J, David L, Coyne L, Errington A, et al. Sodium channel inhibition by anandamide and synthetic cannabimimetics in brain. Brain Res. 2003;978:194-204 pubmed..This mechanism has potential to depress synaptic transmission in brain by damping neuronal capacity to support action potentials and reducing evoked release of both excitatory and inhibitory transmitters. ..
- Fan Y, Esmail M, Ansley S, Blacque O, Boroevich K, Ross A, et al. Mutations in a member of the Ras superfamily of small GTP-binding proteins causes Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Nat Genet. 2004;36:989-93 pubmed..These findings implicate a small GTP-binding protein in ciliary transport and the pathogenesis of a pleiotropic disorder. ..
- Blacque O, Perens E, Boroevich K, Inglis P, Li C, Warner A, et al. Functional genomics of the cilium, a sensory organelle. Curr Biol. 2005;15:935-41 pubmed..7a. Together, our findings help define a ciliary transcriptome and suggest that DYF-13, an evolutionarily conserved protein, is a novel core IFT component required for cilia function. ..
- Shan X, Hu J, Cayabyab F, Krieger C. Increased phospho-adducin immunoreactivity in a murine model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neuroscience. 2005;134:833-46 pubmed
- Duan Y, Zheng J, Law V, Nicholson R. Natural products from ginseng inhibit [3H]batrachotoxinin A 20-alpha-benzoate binding to Na+ channels in mammalian brain. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006;530:9-14 pubmed..We conclude that the 20(S)protopanaxadiol and the less potent inhibitor Rh(2) destabilize BTX-B-activated sodium channels through non-covalent allosteric modification of neurotoxin binding site 2. ..
- Mah A, Armstrong K, Chew D, Chu J, Tu D, Johnsen R, et al. Transcriptional regulation of AQP-8, a Caenorhabditis elegans aquaporin exclusively expressed in the excretory system, by the POU homeobox transcription factor CEH-6. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:28074-86 pubmed..These parallels in transcriptional control between Brn1 and CEH-6 suggest that C. elegans may well be an appropriate model for determining gene-regulatory networks in the developing vertebrate kidney. ..
- Decker H, Lo K, Unger S, Ferreira S, Silverman M. Amyloid-beta peptide oligomers disrupt axonal transport through an NMDA receptor-dependent mechanism that is mediated by glycogen synthase kinase 3beta in primary cultured hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9166-71 pubmed publisher..Results demonstrate that AbetaOs negatively impact axonal transport by a mechanism that is initiated by NMDARs and mediated by GSK-3beta and establish a new connection between toxic Abeta oligomers and AD pathology. ..
- Lo K, Kuzmin A, Unger S, Petersen J, Silverman M. KIF1A is the primary anterograde motor protein required for the axonal transport of dense-core vesicles in cultured hippocampal neurons. Neurosci Lett. 2011;491:168-73 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data support a primary role for KIF1A in the anterograde transport of DCVs in mammalian neurons, and also provide evidence that KIF1A remains associated with DCVs during retrograde DCV transport. ..
- Chu J, Tarailo Graovac M, Zhang D, Wang J, Uyar B, Tu D, et al. Fine tuning of RFX/DAF-19-regulated target gene expression through binding to multiple sites in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:53-64 pubmed publisher..Our identification of genes with multiple X-box motifs will also improve our understanding of RFX/DAF-19-mediated regulation in C. elegans and in other organisms including humans. ..
- Yuzwa S, Shan X, Macauley M, Clark T, Skorobogatko Y, Vosseller K, et al. Increasing O-GlcNAc slows neurodegeneration and stabilizes tau against aggregation. Nat Chem Biol. 2012;8:393-9 pubmed publisher..These results also suggest O-GlcNAcase as a potential therapeutic target that could hinder progression of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Unsoeld T, Park J, Hutter H. Discoidin domain receptors guide axons along longitudinal tracts in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2013;374:142-52 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the first insight on discoidin domain receptor function in invertebrates and establish a novel role for discoidin domain receptors in axon navigation and axon tract formation. ..
- Iworima D, Pasqualotto B, Rintoul G. Kif5 regulates mitochondrial movement, morphology, function and neuronal survival. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2016;72:22-33 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our studies demonstrate an interesting interplay between the regulation of mitochondrial motility and morphology. ..