Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Locale: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Publications571 found, 100 shown here
- Guttman J, Lin A, Veiga E, Cossart P, Finlay B. Role for CD2AP and other endocytosis-associated proteins in enteropathogenic Escherichia coli pedestal formation. Infect Immun. 2010;78:3316-22 pubmed publisher..This study further demonstrates that endocytic proteins are key components of EPEC pedestals and suggests a novel endocytosis subversion strategy employed by these extracellular bacteria. ..
- Yu H, Karunakaran K, Kelly I, Shen C, Jiang X, Foster L, et al. Immunization with live and dead Chlamydia muridarum induces different levels of protective immunity in a murine genital tract model: correlation with MHC class II peptide presentation and multifunctional Th1 cells. J Immunol. 2011;186:3615-21 pubmed publisher..muridarum. These insights should prove useful for improving vaccine design for Chlamydia trachomatis...
- Verreault M, Strutt D, Masin D, Anantha M, Yung A, Kozlowski P, et al. Vascular normalization in orthotopic glioblastoma following intravenous treatment with lipid-based nanoparticulate formulations of irinotecan (Irinophore C™), doxorubicin (Caelyx®) or vincristine. BMC Cancer. 2011;11:124 pubmed publisher
- Sekulovic S, Gasparetto M, Lecault V, Hoesli C, Kent D, Rosten P, et al. Ontogeny stage-independent and high-level clonal expansion in vitro of mouse hematopoietic stem cells stimulated by an engineered NUP98-HOX fusion transcription factor. Blood. 2011;118:4366-76 pubmed publisher..These findings point to the effects of NUP98-HOXA10hd on HSCs in vitro being mediated by promoting self-renewal and set the stage for further dissection of this process. ..
- Benz C, Copley M, Kent D, Wohrer S, Cortes A, Aghaeepour N, et al. Hematopoietic stem cell subtypes expand differentially during development and display distinct lymphopoietic programs. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;10:273-83 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a level of heterogeneity in HSC differentiation and expansion control that may have relevance to stem cell populations in other hierarchically organized tissues. ..
- Yuchi Z, Lau K, Van Petegem F. Disease mutations in the ryanodine receptor central region: crystal structures of a phosphorylation hot spot domain. Structure. 2012;20:1201-11 pubmed publisher..Docking into cryo-electron microscopy maps suggests a putative location in the clamp region, implying that mutations and phosphorylation may affect the allosteric motions within this area. ..
- Sun G, Cheng S, Chen M, Lim C, Pallen C. Protein tyrosine phosphatase ? phosphotyrosyl-789 binds BCAR3 to position Cas for activation at integrin-mediated focal adhesions. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:3776-89 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a novel role of PTP? in integrin-induced adhesion assembly that enables Src-mediated activation of the pivotal function of Cas in migration...
- Denroche H, Quong W, Bruin J, Tudurí E, Asadi A, Glavas M, et al. Leptin administration enhances islet transplant performance in diabetic mice. Diabetes. 2013;62:2738-46 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that low-dose leptin administration can reduce the number of transplanted islets required to achieve metabolic control in STZ-induced diabetic mice. ..
- Zhang Z, Lau J, Kuo H, Zhang C, Hundal Jabal N, Colpo N, et al. Synthesis and evaluation of (18)F-labeled 4-nitrobenzyl derivatives for imaging tumor hypoxia with positron emission tomography: Comparison of 2-[(18)F]fluoroethyl carbonate and 2-[(18)F]fluoroethyl carbamate. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:584-588 pubmed publisher..5%ID/g) and exhibited extensive defluorination in vivo (>4.0%ID/g for bone). Therefore, [(18)F]1 and [(18)F]2 are not suitable for imaging tumor hypoxia due to suboptimal tumor-to-background contrasts. ..
- Horley K, Carpenito C, Baker B, Takei F. Molecular cloning of murine intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM-1). EMBO J. 1989;8:2889-96 pubmed..Since ICAM-1 is known to be of primary importance in immune responses and inflammatory reactions, having a monoclonal antibody and a mouse model will provide the opportunity to study the functional role of ICAM-1 in vivo. ..
- McIntosh C, Bremsak I, Lynn F, Gill R, Hinke S, Gelling R, et al. Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide stimulation of lipolysis in differentiated 3T3-L1 cells: wortmannin-sensitive inhibition by insulin. Endocrinology. 1999;140:398-404 pubmed
- Grill B, Schrader J. Activation of Rac-1, Rac-2, and Cdc42 by hemopoietic growth factors or cross-linking of the B-lymphocyte receptor for antigen. Blood. 2002;100:3183-92 pubmed..The activation of Rac-1, Rac-2, and Cdc42 by IL-3 and other hemopoietic growth factors is likely to be an important component of their actions in promoting growth, survival, and function. ..
- Dunn C, van de Lagemaat L, Baillie G, Mager D. Endogenous retrovirus long terminal repeats as ready-to-use mobile promoters: the case of primate beta3GAL-T5. Gene. 2005;364:2-12 pubmed..Upon similar analysis of other ERV sequences, we have concluded that this evolutionary history is shared by certain other LTR gene promoters, and may be a general phenomenon. ..
- Leavitt B, Van Raamsdonk J, Shehadeh J, Fernandes H, Murphy Z, Graham R, et al. Wild-type huntingtin protects neurons from excitotoxicity. J Neurochem. 2006;96:1121-9 pubmed
- Yanai A, Huang K, Kang R, Singaraja R, Arstikaitis P, Gan L, et al. Palmitoylation of huntingtin by HIP14 is essential for its trafficking and function. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:824-31 pubmed..These results suggest that the expansion of the polyglutamine tract in htt results in decreased palmitoylation, which contributes to the formation of inclusion bodies and enhanced neuronal toxicity. ..
- Cochrane D, Wang Z, Muramaki M, Gleave M, Nelson C. Differential regulation of clusterin and its isoforms by androgens in prostate cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:2278-87 pubmed..This androgen regulation of clusterin may underline the cytoprotective role of androgens in normal prostate physiology as well as play an antiapoptotic role in prostate cancer progression. ..
- Cina C, Bechberger J, Ozog M, Naus C. Expression of connexins in embryonic mouse neocortical development. J Comp Neurol. 2007;504:298-313 pubmed..Thus, the present study provides identification and the distribution pattern for Cxs associated with cortical development during normal neuronal migration. ..
- Li A, Lam W, Stokes R. Characterization of genes differentially expressed within macrophages by virulent and attenuated Mycobacterium tuberculosis identifies candidate genes involved in intracellular growth. Microbiology. 2008;154:2291-303 pubmed publisher..Lastly, treatment of intracellular bacteria with a putative inhibitor of fumarate reductase resulted in a significant reduction of bacterial growth. ..
- An B, Poon S, So W, Hammond G, Leung P. Rapid effect of GNRH1 on follicle-stimulating hormone beta gene expression in LbetaT2 mouse pituitary cells requires the progesterone receptor. Biol Reprod. 2009;81:243-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the rapid effect of GNRH1 on Fshb expression in LbetaT2 cells is mediated by PGR phosphorylation and loading at the PRE within the Fshb promoter together with NCOA3. ..
- Lim W, Tardi P, Dos Santos N, Xie X, Fan M, Liboiron B, et al. Leukemia-selective uptake and cytotoxicity of CPX-351, a synergistic fixed-ratio cytarabine:daunorubicin formulation, in bone marrow xenografts. Leuk Res. 2010;34:1214-23 pubmed publisher..These features may also have broader applicability in the treatment of other haematological malignancies. ..
- Grassl G, Faustmann M, Gill N, Zbytnuik L, Merkens H, So L, et al. CD34 mediates intestinal inflammation in Salmonella-infected mice. Cell Microbiol. 2010;12:1562-75 pubmed publisher..In summary, we demonstrate a novel role for CD34 in enhancing migration of inflammatory cells and thereby exacerbating host-mediated immunopathology in the intestine of S. Typhimurium-infected mice. ..
- Thomas A, Kapanen A, Hare J, Ramsay E, Edwards K, Karlsson G, et al. Development of a liposomal nanoparticle formulation of 5-fluorouracil for parenteral administration: formulation design, pharmacokinetics and efficacy. J Control Release. 2011;150:212-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first time an active loading method has been described for 5-FU. The use of ternary metal complexation strategy to encapsulate therapeutic agents may define a unique platform for preparation of LNP drug formulations. ..
- Lee M, Guo J, Schwab C, McGeer E, McGeer P. Selective inhibition of the membrane attack complex of complement by low molecular weight components of the aurin tricarboxylic acid synthetic complex. Neurobiol Aging. 2012;33:2237-46 pubmed publisher..Aurin tricarboxylic acid, aurin quadracarboxylic acid, and aurin hexacarboxylic acid may be effective therapeutic agents in Alzheimer disease and other degenerative disorders where self damage from the MAC occurs. ..
- Elegheert J, Cvetkovska V, Clayton A, Heroven C, Vennekens K, Smukowski S, et al. Structural Mechanism for Modulation of Synaptic Neuroligin-Neurexin Signaling by MDGA Proteins. Neuron. 2017;95:896-913.e10 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate a potentially brain-wide regulatory mechanism for NL-NRX signaling modulation. ..
- Dai L, Kang H, Kerstan D, Ritchie G, Quamme G. ATP inhibits Mg(2+) uptake in MDCT cells via P2X purinoceptors. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2001;281:F833-40 pubmed..We conclude from this information that ATP inhibited Mg(2+) uptake in MDCT cells through P2X purinoceptors expressed in this distal convoluted tubule cell line. ..
- Ghoreishi M, Dutz J. Tolerance induction by transcutaneous immunization through ultraviolet-irradiated skin is transferable through CD4+CD25+ T regulatory cells and is dependent on host-derived IL-10. J Immunol. 2006;176:2635-44 pubmed
- Dean R, Butler G, Hamma Kourbali Y, Delbe J, Brigstock D, Courty J, et al. Identification of candidate angiogenic inhibitors processed by matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP-2) in cell-based proteomic screens: disruption of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)/heparin affin regulatory peptide (pleiotrophin) and VEGF/Connec. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:8454-65 pubmed..Hence the unmasking of cytokines, such as VEGF, by metalloproteinase processing of their binding proteins is a new mechanism in the control of cytokine activation and angiogenesis. ..
- Gal Mor O, Gibson D, Baluta D, Vallance B, Finlay B. A novel secretion pathway of Salmonella enterica acts as an antivirulence modulator during salmonellosis. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000036 pubmed publisher..Cumulatively, these results indicate that the ZirTS pathway plays a unique role as an antivirulence modulator during systemic disease and is involved in fine-tuning a host-pathogen balance during salmonellosis...
- Dranse H, Sampaio A, Petkovich M, Underhill T. Genetic deletion of Cyp26b1 negatively impacts limb skeletogenesis by inhibiting chondrogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2723-34 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings support an important function for RA in regulating the behaviour of mesenchymal progenitors, and their subsequent differentiation and maturation. ..
- Halim T, Maclaren A, Romanish M, Gold M, McNagny K, Takei F. Retinoic-acid-receptor-related orphan nuclear receptor alpha is required for natural helper cell development and allergic inflammation. Immunity. 2012;37:463-74 pubmed publisher..We have also identified ROR?-dependent NH cell progenitors in the bone marrow. Thus, all NH cells belong to a unique ROR?-dependent cell lineage separate from other lymphoid cell lineages...
- Xia J, Fjell C, Mayer M, Pena O, Wishart D, Hancock R. INMEX--a web-based tool for integrative meta-analysis of expression data. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:W63-70 pubmed publisher..Complex operations are performed through a user-friendly web interface in a step-by-step manner. INMEX is freely available at http://www.inmex.ca. ..
- Machtaler S, Choi K, Dang Lawson M, Falk L, Pournia F, Naus C, et al. The role of the gap junction protein connexin43 in B lymphocyte motility and migration. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:1249-58 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that in addition to its role in B cell spreading, Cx43 is an important regulator of B-cell motility and migration, processes essential for normal B-cell development and immune responses. ..
- Zhang Z, Lau J, Zhang C, Colpo N, Nocentini A, Supuran C, et al. Design, synthesis and evaluation of 18F-labeled cationic carbonic anhydrase IX inhibitors for PET imaging. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2017;32:722-730 pubmed publisher..99 ± 0.25. Subsequently, tumor xenografts were visualized with moderate contrast. This study demonstrates the use of a cationic motif for conferring isoform selectively for CA-IX imaging agents. ..
- Ogawa Y, Goodman G, Chaplin D, Grulkey W, Lam G. Combination therapy of pions and SPG (Sonifilan, Schizophyllan), a biological response modifier for mouse tumor systems. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1990;18:1415-20 pubmed..04). In conditions of minimal residual disease brought about by pion irradiation, the adjuvant effect of a Biological Response Modifier (BRM) SPG may prove to be a promising method of cancer therapy for some tumors. ..
- Ling W, Lougheed M, Suzuki H, Buchan A, Kodama T, Steinbrecher U. Oxidized or acetylated low density lipoproteins are rapidly cleared by the liver in mice with disruption of the scavenger receptor class A type I/II gene. J Clin Invest. 1997;100:244-52 pubmed
- O Kusky J, Nasir J, Cicchetti F, Parent A, Hayden M. Neuronal degeneration in the basal ganglia and loss of pallido-subthalamic synapses in mice with targeted disruption of the Huntington's disease gene. Brain Res. 1999;818:468-79 pubmed
- Hogg J. Role of latent viral infections in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;164:S71-5 pubmed..These studies suggest that latent adenoviral infections may have a role in the pathogenesis of obstructive airway disease by amplifying the response to cigarette smoke and inducing steroid resistance. ..
- Carlow D, Corbel S, Williams M, Ziltener H. IL-2, -4, and -15 differentially regulate O-glycan branching and P-selectin ligand formation in activated CD8 T cells. J Immunol. 2001;167:6841-8 pubmed
- Marzban L, Trigo Gonzalez G, Zhu X, Rhodes C, Halban P, Steiner D, et al. Role of beta-cell prohormone convertase (PC)1/3 in processing of pro-islet amyloid polypeptide. Diabetes. 2004;53:141-8 pubmed
- Goytain A, Hines R, El Husseini A, Quamme G. NIPA1(SPG6), the basis for autosomal dominant form of hereditary spastic paraplegia, encodes a functional Mg2+ transporter. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8060-8 pubmed..We conclude that NIPA1 normally encodes a Mg2+ transporter and the loss-of function of NIPA1(SPG6) due to abnormal trafficking of the mutated protein provides the basis of the HSP phenotype. ..
- Au E, Richter M, Vincent A, Tetzlaff W, Aebersold R, Sage E, et al. SPARC from olfactory ensheathing cells stimulates Schwann cells to promote neurite outgrowth and enhances spinal cord repair. J Neurosci. 2007;27:7208-21 pubmed
- Selva D, Hogeveen K, Innis S, Hammond G. Monosaccharide-induced lipogenesis regulates the human hepatic sex hormone-binding globulin gene. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3979-87 pubmed..This provides a biological explanation for why SHBG is a sensitive biomarker of the metabolic syndrome and the metabolic disturbances associated with increased fructose consumption. ..
- Lee I, Qin H, Priatel J, Tan R. Critical role for IFN-gamma in natural killer cell-mediated protection from diabetes. Eur J Immunol. 2008;38:82-9 pubmed..In contrast, NK cytotoxicity does not appear to participate in CFA-mediated protection from diabetes. Our findings demonstrate that NK cells mediate the protective effects of CFA through secretion of IFN-gamma. ..
- Arstikaitis P, Gauthier Campbell C, Carolina Gutierrez Herrera R, Huang K, Levinson J, Murphy T, et al. Paralemmin-1, a modulator of filopodia induction is required for spine maturation. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2026-38 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies a key role for paralemmin-1 in spine maturation through modulation of filopodia induction. ..
- Dean R, Cox J, Bellac C, Doucet A, Starr A, Overall C. Macrophage-specific metalloelastase (MMP-12) truncates and inactivates ELR+ CXC chemokines and generates CCL2, -7, -8, and -13 antagonists: potential role of the macrophage in terminating polymorphonuclear leukocyte influx. Blood. 2008;112:3455-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that the macrophage, specifically through MMP-12, assists in orchestrating the regulation of acute inflammatory responses by precise proteolysis of ELR(+)CXC and CC chemokines. ..
- Yang H, van Breemen C, Chung A. Vasomotor dysfunction in the thoracic aorta of Marfan syndrome is associated with accumulation of oxidative stress. Vascul Pharmacol. 2010;52:37-45 pubmed publisher..The vasomotor dysfunction in Marfan thoracic aortae could be associated with accumulation of oxidative stress due to unbalanced protein expression of superoxide-producing and superoxide-eliminating enzymes...
- Potter K, Abedini A, Marek P, Klimek A, Butterworth S, Driscoll M, et al. Islet amyloid deposition limits the viability of human islet grafts but not porcine islet grafts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:4305-10 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the potential of porcine islet transplantation as a therapeutic approach for human diabetes. ..
- Samokhin A, Lythgo P, Gauthier J, Percival M, Bromme D. Pharmacological inhibition of cathepsin S decreases atherosclerotic lesions in Apoe-/- mice. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2010;56:98-105 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the inhibition of cathepsin S showed a strong atheroprotective activity, demonstrating the potential benefits of a small molecule anti-cathepsin therapy. ..
- Weisser S, McLarren K, Voglmaier N, van Netten Thomas C, Antov A, Flavell R, et al. Alternative activation of macrophages by IL-4 requires SHIP degradation. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:1742-53 pubmed publisher..These findings identify SHIP and the PI3K pathway as critical regulators of alternative macrophage activation and SHIP as a target for manipulation in diseases where macrophage phenotype contributes to pathology. ..
- Bond S, Lau A, Penuela S, Sampaio A, Underhill T, Laird D, et al. Pannexin 3 is a novel target for Runx2, expressed by osteoblasts and mature growth plate chondrocytes. J Bone Miner Res. 2011;26:2911-22 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggests that Panx3 may serve an important role in bone development, and is a novel target for Runx2-dependent signaling...
- Dragowska W, Weppler S, Qadir M, Wong L, Franssen Y, Baker J, et al. The combination of gefitinib and RAD001 inhibits growth of HER2 overexpressing breast cancer cells and tumors irrespective of trastuzumab sensitivity. BMC Cancer. 2011;11:420 pubmed publisher..The gefitinib and RAD001 combination provides effective control over growth of HER2 overexpressing cells and tumors irrespective of the TZ sensitivity status. ..
- Zhang M, Deng Y, Luo Y, Zhang S, Zou H, Cai F, et al. Control of BACE1 degradation and APP processing by ubiquitin carboxyl-terminal hydrolase L1. J Neurochem. 2012;120:1129-38 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that potentiation of UCHL1 might be able to reduce the level of BACE1 and Aβ in brain, which makes it a novel target for AD drug development. ..
- Young F, Franciosi S, Spreeuw A, Deng Y, Sanders S, Tam N, et al. Low levels of human HIP14 are sufficient to rescue neuropathological, behavioural, and enzymatic defects due to loss of murine HIP14 in Hip14-/- mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36315 pubmed publisher..Our findings yield important insights into HIP14 function in vivo. ..
- Hemida M, Ye X, Zhang H, Hanson P, Liu Z, McManus B, et al. MicroRNA-203 enhances coxsackievirus B3 replication through targeting zinc finger protein-148. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013;70:277-91 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study identified a novel target of miR-203 and revealed, for the first time, the molecular link between miR-203/ZFP-148 and the pathogenesis of CVB3. ..
- Anderson J, Bressler B, Ovalle W. Functional regeneration in the hindlimb skeletal muscle of the mdx mouse. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 1988;9:499-515 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Dreger R, Harris M, Peichel C, Vogt T, Juriloff D. The first arch (Far) mutation in mice recombines with Hoxd and Mdk. Mamm Genome. 1995;6:662-3 pubmed
- Luo H, Zhang J, Cheung C, Suarez A, McManus B, Yang D. Proteasome inhibition reduces coxsackievirus B3 replication in murine cardiomyocytes. Am J Pathol. 2003;163:381-5 pubmed..Thus, proteasome inhibition may represent a novel therapeutic approach against myocarditis. ..
- Matheson S, Larjava H, Hakkinen L. Distinctive localization and function for lumican, fibromodulin and decorin to regulate collagen fibril organization in periodontal tissues. J Periodontal Res. 2005;40:312-24 pubmed..These findings indicate that decorin, fibromodulin and lumican coordinately regulate the fibrillar and suprafibrillar organization of collagen in the periodontal ligament. ..
- Kim S, Nian C, McIntosh C. Resistin is a key mediator of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) stimulation of lipoprotein lipase (LPL) activity in adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34139-47 pubmed..Knockdown of resistin using RNA interference attenuated the effect of GIP on the PKB/LKB1/AMPK/LPL pathway in 3T3-L1 adipocytes, supporting a role for resistin as a mediator. ..
- Ludwiczek S, Rosell F, Ludwiczek M, Mauk A. Recombinant expression and initial characterization of the putative human enteric ferric reductase Dcytb. Biochemistry. 2008;47:753-61 pubmed
- Tucker C, Kapanen A, Chikh G, Hoffman B, Kyle A, Wilson I, et al. Silencing Bcl-2 in models of mantle cell lymphoma is associated with decreases in cyclin D1, nuclear factor-kappaB, p53, bax, and p27 levels. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008;7:749-58 pubmed publisher..Coimmunoprecipitation studies indicate that bcl-2 may mediate its effects on cyclin D1a via interaction with p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase as well as a previously unreported interaction between bcl-2 and cyclin D1a...
- D Souza C, Chopra V, Varhol R, Xie Y, Bohacec S, Zhao Y, et al. Identification of a set of genes showing regionally enriched expression in the mouse brain. BMC Neurosci. 2008;9:66 pubmed publisher..This set of markers may also serve as a resource for further studies of gene regulatory elements influencing brain expression. ..
- Law E, Lu S, Kieffer T, Warnock G, Ao Z, Woo M, et al. Differences between amyloid toxicity in alpha and beta cells in human and mouse islets and the role of caspase-3. Diabetologia. 2010;53:1415-27 pubmed publisher..Islet beta cells are more susceptible to hIAPP toxicity than alpha cells cultured under the same conditions. ..
- Romanuik T, Wang G, Morozova O, Delaney A, Marra M, Sadar M. LNCaP Atlas: gene expression associated with in vivo progression to castration-recurrent prostate cancer. BMC Med Genomics. 2010;3:43 pubmed publisher..The in vivo gene expression atlas for LNCaP was sequenced and support a role for the androgen receptor in CRPC. ..
- Hutton M, Soukhatcheva G, Johnson J, Verchere C. Role of the TLR signaling molecule TRIF in ?-cell function and glucose homeostasis. Islets. 2010;2:104-11 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest a role for TLR signaling in glucose homeostasis, and raise the possibility that TRIF signaling is required for normal b-cell function. ..
- Stukas S, May S, Wilkinson A, Chan J, Donkin J, Wellington C. The LXR agonist GW3965 increases apoA-I protein levels in the central nervous system independent of ABCA1. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1821:536-46 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Advances in High Density Lipoprotein Formation and Metabolism: A Tribute to John F. Oram (1945-2010)...
- Nguyen L, Vanner R, Dirks P, Eaves C. Cancer stem cells: an evolving concept. Nat Rev Cancer. 2012;12:133-43 pubmed publisher..As a result we have obtained new insights into why the CSC concept is not universally applicable, as well as a new basis for understanding the complex evolution, phenotypic heterogeneity and therapeutic challenges of many human cancers. ..
- Basha G, Omilusik K, Chávez Steenbock A, Reinicke A, Lack N, Choi K, et al. A CD74-dependent MHC class I endolysosomal cross-presentation pathway. Nat Immunol. 2012;13:237-45 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CD74 has a previously undiscovered physiological function in endolysosomal DC cross-presentation for priming MHC class I-mediated CTL responses. ..
- Baradaran Heravi A, Raams A, Lubieniecka J, Cho K, Dehaai K, Basiratnia M, et al. SMARCAL1 deficiency predisposes to non-Hodgkin lymphoma and hypersensitivity to genotoxic agents in vivo. Am J Med Genet A. 2012;158A:2204-13 pubmed publisher..These data, which identify an increased prevalence of NHL in SIOD and confirm hypersensitivity to DNA damaging agents in vivo, provide guidance for the management of SIOD patients. ..
- Streubel G, Fitzpatrick D, Oliviero G, Scelfo A, Moran B, Das S, et al. Fam60a defines a variant Sin3a-Hdac complex in embryonic stem cells required for self-renewal. EMBO J. 2017;36:2216-2232 pubmed publisher..Taken together, Fam60a is an essential core subunit of a variant Sin3a complex in ES cells that is required to promote rapid proliferation and prevent unscheduled differentiation. ..
- Hande M, Balajee A, Tchirkov A, Wynshaw Boris A, Lansdorp P. Extra-chromosomal telomeric DNA in cells from Atm(-/-) mice and patients with ataxia-telangiectasia. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:519-28 pubmed..These results suggest a role of ATM in telomere maintenance and replication, which may contribute to the poor growth of ATM(-/-) cells and increased tumor incidence in both AT patients and ATM(-/-) mice. ..
- Cecic I, Korbelik M. Mediators of peripheral blood neutrophilia induced by photodynamic therapy of solid tumors. Cancer Lett. 2002;183:43-51 pubmed..The latter include cytokines IL-1beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6, IL-10, G-CSF and KC, thromboxane, prostaglandins, leukotrienes, histamine, and coagulation factors. ..
- Wilhelm B, Mager D. Rapid expansion of the Ly49 gene cluster in rat. Genomics. 2004;84:218-21 pubmed..Thus, the rodent Ly49 locus is subject to extremely rapid gene amplification and diversification. ..
- Noorali S, Kurita T, Woolcock B, de Algara T, Lo M, Paralkar V, et al. Dynamics of expression of growth differentiation factor 15 in normal and PIN development in the mouse. Differentiation. 2007;75:325-36 pubmed..The data supports our hypothesis that GDF15 plays a role in the early stages of human prostate cancer. ..
- Gwiazda K, Yang T, Lin Y, Johnson J. Effects of palmitate on ER and cytosolic Ca2+ homeostasis in beta-cells. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009;296:E690-701 pubmed publisher..We present the first direct evidence that free fatty acids reduce ER Ca2+ and shed light on pathways involved in lipotoxicity and the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Fan J, Vasuta O, Zhang L, Wang L, George A, Raymond L. N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunit- and neuronal-type dependence of excitotoxic signaling through post-synaptic density 95. J Neurochem. 2010;115:1045-56 pubmed publisher..These results will facilitate development of neuronal type-specific protective therapies. ..
- Biron K, Dickstein D, Gopaul R, Fenninger F, Jefferies W. Cessation of neoangiogenesis in Alzheimer's disease follows amyloid-beta immunization. Sci Rep. 2013;3:1354 pubmed publisher..This appears to be the first example of vascular reversion following any therapeutic intervention and supports the conclusion that modulation of neoangiogenesis may repair damage in the AD brain. ..
- McCarter J, Burgoyne D, Miao S, Zhang S, Callahan J, Withers S. Identification of Glu-268 as the catalytic nucleophile of human lysosomal beta-galactosidase precursor by mass spectrometry. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:396-400 pubmed..This glutamic acid is fully conserved in a sequence-related family of enzymes (Family 35), consistent with its essential role...
- Buckner M, Antunes L, Gill N, Russell S, Shames S, Finlay B. 15-Deoxy-?12,14-prostaglandin J2 inhibits macrophage colonization by Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69759 pubmed publisher..15d-PGJ2 also causes an increase in ERK1/2 phosphorylation in infected macrophages. In conclusion, we show here that 15d-PGJ2 mediates the outcome of bacterial infection, a previously unidentified role for this prostaglandin. ..
- Lohwasser S, Hande P, Mager D, Takei F. Cloning of murine NKG2A, B and C: second family of C-type lectin receptors on murine NK cells. Eur J Immunol. 1999;29:755-61 pubmed..The NKG2A gene was localized on the distal portion of chromosome 6 where the NK complex has been located. These results further extend the repertoire of C-type lectin receptors on murine NK cells. ..
- Mager D, Hunter D, Schertzer M, Freeman J. Endogenous retroviruses provide the primary polyadenylation signal for two new human genes (HHLA2 and HHLA3). Genomics. 1999;59:255-63 pubmed..This study demonstrates that ancient retroviral insertions have assumed gene regulatory functions during the course of human evolution. ..
- Tan P, Furness S, Merkens H, Lin S, McCoy M, Roskelley C, et al. Na+/H+ exchanger regulatory factor-1 is a hematopoietic ligand for a subset of the CD34 family of stem cell surface proteins. Stem Cells. 2006;24:1150-61 pubmed..The results suggest that this cytosolic adaptor protein may be important for mobilization of CD34-type proteins in the plasma membrane and may thereby regulate their ability to block or enhance hematopoietic cell adhesion. ..
- Rouhi A, Gagnier L, Takei F, Mager D. Evidence for epigenetic maintenance of Ly49a monoallelic gene expression. J Immunol. 2006;176:2991-9 pubmed..Finally, in apparent contrast to the KIR genes, we show that DNA methylation and the histone acetylation state of the Pro-2 region are strictly linked with Ly49a expression status. ..
- Yu M, Kissling S, Freyschmidt Paul P, Hoffmann R, Shapiro J, McElwee K. Interleukin-6 cytokine family member oncostatin M is a hair-follicle-expressed factor with hair growth inhibitory properties. Exp Dermatol. 2008;17:12-9 pubmed..In principle, increased expression of some IL-6 cytokine family members in cutaneous inflammation might contribute to the promotion of hair loss. ..