Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Locale: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Publications290 found, 100 shown here
- Di Palma S, Collins N, Bilous M, Sapino A, Mottolese M, Kapranos N, et al. A quality assurance exercise to evaluate the accuracy and reproducibility of chromogenic in situ hybridisation for HER2 analysis in breast cancer. J Clin Pathol. 2008;61:757-60 pubmed publisher..The results show that CISH is a robust technique providing a suitable assay for the frontline testing of HER2 status in breast cancer. ..
- Perahia D, Quail D, Desaiah D, Montejo A, Schatzberg A. Switching to duloxetine in selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor non- and partial-responders: effects on painful physical symptoms of depression. J Psychiatr Res. 2009;43:512-8 pubmed publisher..In summary, MDD patients who were non- or partial-responders to SSRI treatment were found to have clinically significant pain which improved significantly following switch to duloxetine regardless of the switch method utilized. ..
- Arendt J. Managing jet lag: Some of the problems and possible new solutions. Sleep Med Rev. 2009;13:249-56 pubmed publisher..The maximum efficacy for jet lag avoidance is by pre-flight adaptation, however, this requires time and commitment. ..
- Neill M, Louie Johnsun M, Chabert C, Eden C. Does intrafascial dissection during nerve-sparing laparoscopic radical prostatectomy compromise cancer control?. BJU Int. 2009;104:1730-3 pubmed..The earlier return to continence after intrafascial nerve-sparing suggests reduced dissection of periurethral supports rather than preservation of additional autonomic nerve fibres. ..
- Frampton A, Williams A, Wilkerson P, Paterson I. Thoracobilia: a rare complication of gallstone disease. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010;92:W1-3 pubmed publisher..We present the case of a 64-year-old man with gallstone pancreatitis who developed a pleurobiliary fistula secondary to an obstructing ductal calculus, and was successfully managed non-operatively. ..
- Mulholland D, Langat M, Crouch N, Coley H, Mutambi E, Nuzillard J. Cembranolides from the stem bark of the southern African medicinal plant, Croton gratissimus (Euphorbiaceae). Phytochemistry. 2010;71:1381-6 pubmed publisher..This compound showed moderate activity against the PEO1 and PEO1TaxR ovarian cancer cell lines...
- Messiou C, Collins D, Morgan V, Desouza N. Optimising diffusion weighted MRI for imaging metastatic and myeloma bone disease and assessing reproducibility. Eur Radiol. 2011;21:1713-8 pubmed publisher..To establish normal bone marrow values of apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) over an age range, compare them with metastatic and myelomatous involvement, to establish reproducibility and to optimise b values...
- Mallinson J, Collins I. Macrocycles in new drug discovery. Future Med Chem. 2012;4:1409-38 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we will highlight selected advances in the synthesis of macrocycles and provide an outlook on the future use of macrocyclic scaffolds in medicinal chemistry. ..
- Omlin A, Pezaro C, Mukherji D, Mulick Cassidy A, Sandhu S, Bianchini D, et al. Improved survival in a cohort of trial participants with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer demonstrates the need for updated prognostic nomograms. Eur Urol. 2013;64:300-6 pubmed publisher..Due to the impact of highly effective novel therapies on survival, prognostic nomograms in current use require revalidation regarding their ability to predict survival in CRPC. ..
- Miah A, Gulliford S, Bhide S, Zaidi S, Newbold K, Harrington K, et al. The effect of concomitant chemotherapy on parotid gland function following head and neck IMRT. Radiother Oncol. 2013;106:346-51 pubmed publisher..To determine whether concomitant chemotherapy increases the incidence of high grade xerostomia following parotid-sparing intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in patients with locally advanced head and neck squamous cell cancer...
- Ginsburg L, Berta W, Baumbusch J, Rohit Dass A, Laporte A, Reid R, et al. Measuring Work Engagement, Psychological Empowerment, and Organizational Citizenship Behavior Among Health Care Aides. Gerontologist. 2016;56:e1-11 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of HCAs' work attitudes and behaviors can inform recruitment programs, incentive systems, and retention/training strategies for this vital group of care providers. ..
- Adams M, Lefkowitz E, King A, Harrach B, Harrison R, Knowles N, et al. Changes to taxonomy and the International Code of Virus Classification and Nomenclature ratified by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (2017). Arch Virol. 2017;162:2505-2538 pubmed publisher..This article lists the changes to virus taxonomy approved and ratified by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) in March 2017. ..
- Verstovsek S, Mesa R, Salama M, Li L, Pitou C, Nunes F, et al. A phase 1 study of the Janus kinase 2 (JAK2)V617F inhibitor, gandotinib (LY2784544), in patients with primary myelofibrosis, polycythemia vera, and essential thrombocythemia. Leuk Res. 2017;61:89-95 pubmed publisher..Gandotinib demonstrated an acceptable safety and tolerability profile, and findings at the maximum-tolerated dose of 120mg supported further clinical testing. Clinicaltrials.gov identifier: NCT01134120. ..
- Pandita Gunawardena R. Paraphilic infantilism. A rare case of fetishistic behaviour. Br J Psychiatry. 1990;157:767-70 pubmed..A rare case of infantile behaviour of a fetishistic nature in an 80-year-old man was possibly related to a head injury at the age of six, when his regression first began. Treatment was deemed unwarranted. ..
- Fritzon K, Canter D, Wilton Z. The application of an action system model to destructive behaviour: the examples of arson and terrorism. Behav Sci Law. 2001;19:657-90 pubmed..Overall, these two studies provide support for the appropriateness of the action system framework as a way of classifying different forms of deviant behaviour. ..
- Antony F, Mortimer P, Harland C. Acquired scrotal lymphangiomas: successful treatment with cutting diathermy and carbon dioxide laser. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2002;27:192-4 pubmed..We report a case of unusually severe, scrotal lymphangiomas that have been treated successfully with the novel combination of cutting diathermy and carbon dioxide laser. ..
- Peters M, Abu Saad H, Vydelingum V, Dowson A, Murphy M. Migraine and chronic daily headache management: a qualitative study of patients' perceptions. Scand J Caring Sci. 2004;18:294-303 pubmed..This knowledge can be used to shape clinical practice, to develop patient education programmes and to further research efforts into issues that are important to the headache patient. ..
- Newell A, Bunting P, Anson K, Fox E. Multicentre audit of the treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infection in South Thames. Int J STD AIDS. 2005;16:74-7 pubmed..The incidence of trimethoprim resistance was 22.6%. The group has therefore recommended that cephalexin should be the first choice antibiotic for suspected UTIs within GU medicine. ..
- Jackson A, Parker C, Norman A, Padhani A, Huddart R, Horwich A, et al. Tumour staging using magnetic resonance imaging in clinically localised prostate cancer: relationship to biochemical outcome after neo-adjuvant androgen deprivation and radical radiotherapy. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2005;17:167-71 pubmed..To evaluate the prognostic significance of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) tumour stage in clinically localised prostate cancer...
- Batchelor M, Threlfall E, Liebana E. Cephalosporin resistance among animal-associated Enterobacteria: a current perspective. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2005;3:403-17 pubmed..The prudent use of clinically important antimicrobials is therefore critical to maintain their effectiveness. Where possible, the use of newer generation cephalosporins should be limited in veterinary medicine. ..
- Pincus T, Foster N, Vogel S, Santos R, Breen A, Underwood M. Attitudes to back pain amongst musculoskeletal practitioners: a comparison of professional groups and practice settings using the ABS-mp. Man Ther. 2007;12:167-75 pubmed..The results may help explain current clinical practice patterns observed in these groups and their uptake of clinical guideline recommendations. ..
- Dalal P, Sohaib S, Huddart R. Imaging of testicular germ cell tumours. Cancer Imaging. 2006;6:124-34 pubmed..This article reviews the role of imaging of testicular germ cell tumours...
- Dowson H, Huang A, Soon Y, Gage H, Lovell D, Rockall T. Systematic review of the costs of laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Dis Colon Rectum. 2007;50:908-19 pubmed..Total hospital costs are similar. There may be societal benefits associated with lower indirect costs for laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Cost should not be a deterrent to performing laparoscopic colorectal surgery. ..
- Lee P. Circulatory disease and smokeless tobacco in Western populations: a review of the evidence. Int J Epidemiol. 2007;36:789-804 pubmed..There is some evidence that nicotine contributes to circulatory disease (CID) from smoking. We therefore reviewed the evidence relating smokeless tobacco (ST) to CID and related risk factors...
- Coffey J, Linger R, Pugh J, Dudakia D, Sokal M, Easton D, et al. Somatic KIT mutations occur predominantly in seminoma germ cell tumors and are not predictive of bilateral disease: report of 220 tumors and review of literature. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2008;47:34-42 pubmed..Interestingly, this mutation was also seen in the patient's testicular seminoma. We find no evidence for an increased frequency of KIT mutations in bilateral TGCT. ..
- McClelland S, Borusu S, Amaro A, Winter J, Belwal M, McAinsh A, et al. The CENP-A NAC/CAD kinetochore complex controls chromosome congression and spindle bipolarity. EMBO J. 2007;26:5033-47 pubmed..Based on our results, we propose that the cooperative action of CENP-A NAC/CAD subunits and the KMN network drives efficient chromosome segregation and bipolar spindle assembly during mitosis. ..
- Morgan R, Whiting K. Differential expression of HOX genes upon activation of leukocyte sub-populations. Int J Hematol. 2008;87:246-9 pubmed publisher..This has revealed distinct patterns of expression between different cell types and resting and activated states. (Main category A: Erythrocytes, Leukocytes and Hematopoiesis, subcategory: 8: Lymphocytes). ..
- Petroczi A, Aidman E, Nepusz T. Capturing doping attitudes by self-report declarations and implicit assessment: a methodology study. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2008;3:9 pubmed publisher..The initial evidence of validity is promising but also indicates a need for improvement to the protocol and stimulus material. ..
- Smith J, Clarke P, de Billy E, Workman P. Silencing the cochaperone CDC37 destabilizes kinase clients and sensitizes cancer cells to HSP90 inhibitors. Oncogene. 2009;28:157-69 pubmed publisher..These results support an essential role for CDC37 in concert with HSP90 in maintaining oncogenic protein kinase clients and endorse the therapeutic potential of targeting CDC37 in cancer. ..
- Messahel B, Ashley S, Saran F, Ellison D, Ironside J, Phipps K, et al. Relapsed intracranial ependymoma in children in the UK: patterns of relapse, survival and therapeutic outcome. Eur J Cancer. 2009;45:1815-23 pubmed publisher..05). Relapse was associated with poor outcome in both age groups. A survival advantage conferred by both radiotherapy and surgery at relapse is independently significant...
- Novick D, Haro J, Suarez D, Perez V, Dittmann R, Haddad P. Predictors and clinical consequences of non-adherence with antipsychotic medication in the outpatient treatment of schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res. 2010;176:109-13 pubmed publisher..Also, reversal of some risk factors may improve adherence. Non-adherence is associated with a range of poorer long-term outcomes, with clinical and economic implications. ..
- Mir N, Sohaib S, Collins D, Koh D. Fusion of high b-value diffusion-weighted and T2-weighted MR images improves identification of lymph nodes in the pelvis. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2010;54:358-64 pubmed publisher..The improved nodal identification may aid treatment planning and further nodal characterisation...
- Mitra A, Bancroft E, Barbachano Y, Page E, Foster C, Jameson C, et al. Targeted prostate cancer screening in men with mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2 detects aggressive prostate cancer: preliminary analysis of the results of the IMPACT study. BJU Int. 2011;107:28-39 pubmed publisher..These results support the rationale for continued screening in such men. ..
- Tupper J, Crompton M, Harvey A. Breast tumor kinase (Brk/PTK6) plays a role in the differentiation of primary keratinocytes. Arch Dermatol Res. 2011;303:293-7 pubmed publisher..We propose Brk, Keratin 10 and EGFR are co-regulated during differentiation and that manipulating Brk expression can influence the differentiation of normal primary human keratinocytes. ..
- Ioannides C. Up-regulation of cytochrome P450 and phase II enzymes by xenobiotics in precision-cut tissue slices. Xenobiotica. 2013;43:15-28 pubmed publisher..4.Precision-cut tissue slices is a reliable, informative and cost-effective technique for assessing the potential of chemicals to up-regulate drug-metabolising enzyme systems. ..
- Lorente D, de Bono J. Molecular alterations and emerging targets in castration resistant prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2014;50:753-64 pubmed publisher..In this review, we attempt to provide insight into the novel molecular targets showing promise in clinical trials. ..
- Merson S, Yang Z, Brewer D, Olmos D, Eichholz A, McCarthy F, et al. Focal amplification of the androgen receptor gene in hormone-naive human prostate cancer. Br J Cancer. 2014;110:1655-62 pubmed publisher..It is hypothesised that a large proportion of AR-amplified CRPCa could pre-date hormone deprivation therapy and that these patients would potentially benefit from early total androgen ablation. ..
- Bignell G, Canzian F, Shayeghi M, Stark M, Shugart Y, Biggs P, et al. Familial nontoxic multinodular thyroid goiter locus maps to chromosome 14q but does not account for familial nonmedullary thyroid cancer. Am J Hum Genet. 1997;61:1123-30 pubmed..Analysis by both parametric and nonparametric methods indicates that only a very small proportion of familial NMTC (point estimate 0.001, support intervals 0-.6 under a dominant model) is attributable to MNG1. ..
- O Sullivan D. Terbinafine: tolerability in general medical practice. Br J Dermatol. 1999;141 Suppl 56:21-5 pubmed..In conclusion, terbinafine is well tolerated in an unselected general practice population. This confirms its good tolerability previously established during controlled clinical trials. ..
- Fahmy F, Back G, Smith C, Hosni A. Osseous haemangioma of inferior turbinate. J Laryngol Otol. 2001;115:417-8 pubmed..We present a case of osseous haemangioma arising within the inferior turbinate. ..
- Green H, Ross G, Peacock J, Owen R, Yarnold J, Houlston R. Variation in the manganese superoxide dismutase gene (SOD2) is not a major cause of radiotherapy complications in breast cancer patients. Radiother Oncol. 2002;63:213-6 pubmed..Both alleles of the Ala-9Val polymorphism were equally distributed between the two patient groups. Sequence variation in SOD2 is not the major cause of radiotherapy complications in women with breast cancer. ..
- Louie K, Gustafson L, Fyfe M, Gill I, Macdougall L, Tom L, et al. An outbreak of Cryptosporidium parvum in a Surrey pool with detection in pool water sampling. Can Commun Dis Rep. 2004;30:61-6 pubmed
- Sultan A, Nugent K. Pathophysiology and nonsurgical treatment of anal incontinence. BJOG. 2004;111 Suppl 1:84-90 pubmed
- Hargrave D, Mabbott D, Bouffet E. Pathological laughter and behavioural change in childhood pontine glioma. J Neurooncol. 2006;77:267-71 pubmed
- Rudd M, Sellick G, Webb E, Catovsky D, Houlston R. Variants in the ATM-BRCA2-CHEK2 axis predispose to chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 2006;108:638-44 pubmed..68, P = .0006), CHEK2 I157T (OR = 14.83, P = .0008), BRCA2 N372H (OR = 1.45, P = .0032), and BUB1B Q349R (OR = 1.42, P = .0038). Our findings implicate variants in the ATM-BRCA2-CHEK2 DNA damage-response axis with risk of CLL. ..
- Tan D, Kaye S. Ovarian clear cell adenocarcinoma: a continuing enigma. J Clin Pathol. 2007;60:355-60 pubmed
- Tsakiris M, Carpenter L, James D, Fotopoulou A. Hands only illusion: multisensory integration elicits sense of ownership for body parts but not for non-corporeal objects. Exp Brain Res. 2010;204:343-52 pubmed publisher..This body model can distinguish between corporeal and non-corporeal objects, and it therefore plays a critical role in maintaining a coherent sense of one's body. ..
- Mitra A, Jameson C, Barbachano Y, Sanchez L, Kote Jarai Z, Peock S, et al. Overexpression of RAD51 occurs in aggressive prostatic cancer. Histopathology. 2009;55:696-704 pubmed publisher..This biomarker may be of value in identifying patients requiring urgent treatment at diagnosis as well as in analysing biological mechanisms underlying aggressive phenotype of human prostatic cancer. ..
- Molife L, Fong P, Paccagnella L, Reid A, Shaw H, Vidal L, et al. The insulin-like growth factor-I receptor inhibitor figitumumab (CP-751,871) in combination with docetaxel in patients with advanced solid tumours: results of a phase Ib dose-escalation, open-label study. Br J Cancer. 2010;103:332-9 pubmed publisher..Figitumumab and docetaxel in combination are well tolerated. Further evaluation is warranted. ..
- Weinhold N, Johnson D, Chubb D, Chen B, Forsti A, Hosking F, et al. The CCND1 c.870G>A polymorphism is a risk factor for t(11;14)(q13;q32) multiple myeloma. Nat Genet. 2013;45:522-525 pubmed publisher..870G>A polymorphism (P = 7.96 × 10(-11)). These results provide a model in which a constitutive genetic factor is associated with risk of a specific chromosomal translocation. ..
- Lee P, Forey B. Indirectly estimated absolute lung cancer mortality rates by smoking status and histological type based on a systematic review. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:189 pubmed publisher..However, the results seem consistent with the literature, and provide additional information on variability by time and region, including evidence of a rise in never smoker adenocarcinoma rates relative to squamous cell carcinoma rates. ..
- Carugo D, Ankrett D, Zhao X, Zhang X, Hill M, O Byrne V, et al. Benefits of polidocanol endovenous microfoam (VarithenaÂ®) compared with physician-compounded foams. Phlebology. 2016;31:283-95 pubmed publisher..Polidocanol endovenous microfoam, which is indicated in the United States for treatment of great saphenous vein system incompetence, provides clinicians with a consistent product with enhanced handling properties. ..
- Kamalati T, Jolin H, Fry M, Crompton M. Expression of the BRK tyrosine kinase in mammary epithelial cells enhances the coupling of EGF signalling to PI 3-kinase and Akt, via erbB3 phosphorylation. Oncogene. 2000;19:5471-6 pubmed
- Davidson B, Babich J, Young H, Waddington W, Clarke G, Short M, et al. The effect of circulating antigen and radiolabel stability on the biodistribution of an indium labelled antibody. Br J Cancer. 1991;64:850-6 pubmed
- Jackman A, Kelland L, Kimbell R, Brown M, Gibson W, Aherne G, et al. Mechanisms of acquired resistance to the quinazoline thymidylate synthase inhibitor ZD1694 (Tomudex) in one mouse and three human cell lines. Br J Cancer. 1995;71:914-24 pubmed..Cross-resistance was found to those compounds known to be active through polyglutamation. ..
- Widdas W, Baker G. The triphasic volume response of human red cells in low ionic strength media: demonstration of a special bicarbonate transport. Cytobios. 1995;81:135-58 pubmed..The unique kinetics, the physiological significance, and implications of the special bicarbonate transport system are discussed. ..
- Biggs P, Chapman P, Lakhani S, Burn J, Stratton M. The cylindromatosis gene (cyld1) on chromosome 16q may be the only tumour suppressor gene involved in the development of cylindromas. Oncogene. 1996;12:1375-7 pubmed..We have also demonstrated LOH using markers on chromosome 16q in 8/14 (57%) sporadic cylindromas, indicating that the cyld1 gene is likely to be involved in the genesis of both familial and sporadic cylindromas. ..
- Wright J. The diagnosis and management of infiltrating nodular recto-vaginal endometriosis. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2000;12:283-7 pubmed
- Henderson A, Ismail A, Cunningham M, Aldridge S, Loverock L, Langley S, et al. Toxicity and early biochemical outcomes from 125iodine prostate brachytherapy in the UK. A prospective study. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2004;16:95-104 pubmed..K., but limited data are available about the toxicity and early results in the U.K. prostate cancer population. We describe our experience and results from prostate brachytherapy to date...
- Trikha S, Acton D, Bell J. Avulsion of the common origin of the medial collateral and medial patello-femoral ligaments. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2004;86:442-4 pubmed..This study documents for the first time avulsion of the common origin of the medial collateral and medial patello-femoral ligaments. ..
- Hanks S, Rahman N. Aneuploidy-cancer predisposition syndromes: a new link between the mitotic spindle checkpoint and cancer. Cell Cycle. 2005;4:225-7 pubmed..This finding strongly suggests that aneuploidy is causally related to cancer development. ..
- Massaoutis P, Khemka S, Ayliffe W. Clinical outcome study of a modified surgical technique for pterygium excision. Can J Ophthalmol. 2006;41:704-8 pubmed..It is not, however, recommended in the treatment of recurrent pterygia; this group of patients requires a more radical excision with a larger autograft and the use of adjuncts such as mitomycin C. ..
- Hill A, Snary E, Arnold M, Alban L, Cook A. Dynamics of Salmonella transmission on a British pig grower-finisher farm: a stochastic model. Epidemiol Infect. 2008;136:320-33 pubmed..In addition, the model shows that the most effective control strategies will be those that reduce between-pen transmission. ..
- Bethke L, Webb E, Sellick G, Rudd M, Penegar S, Withey L, et al. Polymorphisms in the cytochrome P450 genes CYP1A2, CYP1B1, CYP3A4, CYP3A5, CYP11A1, CYP17A1, CYP19A1 and colorectal cancer risk. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:123 pubmed..36, 95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.03-1.80 and OR = 1.34, 95% CI: 1.00-1.79 respectively). This study provides some support for polymorphic variation in CYP1A2 and CYP1B1 playing a role in CRC susceptibility. ..
- Horsley S, Colman S, Mckinley M, Bateman C, Jenney M, Chaplin T, et al. Genetic lesions in a preleukemic aplasia phase in a child with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2008;47:333-40 pubmed publisher..These data have implications for the biology of ALL and for management of similar patients...
- Petroczi A, Aidman E. Psychological drivers in doping: the life-cycle model of performance enhancement. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2008;3:7 pubmed publisher..This enables a more effective intervention approach by targeting specific risk factors and expectancies. ..
- Crowther J, Sieg A, Blenkiron P, Marcott C, Matts P, Kaczvinsky J, et al. Measuring the effects of topical moisturizers on changes in stratum corneum thickness, water gradients and hydration in vivo. Br J Dermatol. 2008;159:567-77 pubmed publisher..These results show that by using CRS, we were able for the first time to determine the effect of moisturizer on multiple SC barrier endpoints including SC thickness, and water content as a function of depth and total SC water content. ..
- Simões M, Hockley S, Schwerdtle T, Gamboa da Costa G, Schmeiser H, Phillips D, et al. Gene expression profiles modulated by the human carcinogen aristolochic acid I in human cancer cells and their dependence on TP53. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2008;232:86-98 pubmed publisher..These results strengthen the importance of TP53 in AA-induced cancer, and indicate that other alterations, e.g. to MYC oncogenic pathways, may also contribute. ..
- Plowright L, Harrington K, Pandha H, Morgan R. HOX transcription factors are potential therapeutic targets in non-small-cell lung cancer (targeting HOX genes in lung cancer). Br J Cancer. 2009;100:470-5 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the interaction between HOX and PBX proteins is a potential therapeutic target in NSCLC. ..
- Smith J, Workman P. Targeting CDC37: an alternative, kinase-directed strategy for disruption of oncogenic chaperoning. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:362-72 pubmed..Here we discuss the therapeutic possibilities of targeting CDC37 for cancer treatment in light of recent significant findings. ..
- Yap T, Carden C, Kaye S. Beyond chemotherapy: targeted therapies in ovarian cancer. Nat Rev Cancer. 2009;9:167-81 pubmed publisher..Importantly, such strategies might allow selection of treatments based on the molecular characteristics of tumours and bring us closer to an era of personalized medicine. ..
- Webster C, Bryan K. Older people's views of dignity and how it can be promoted in a hospital environment. J Clin Nurs. 2009;18:1784-92 pubmed publisher..Nurses on hospital wards particularly need to take measures to safeguard the dignity of older people with cognitive problems who have difficulty in making their needs known. ..
- Kucab J, Phillips D, Arlt V. Linking environmental carcinogen exposure to TP53 mutations in human tumours using the human TP53 knock-in (Hupki) mouse model. FEBS J. 2010;277:2567-83 pubmed publisher..Despite the utility of the current Hupki embryo fibroblast immortalization assay, it has several limitations that could be addressed by future developments, in order to improve its sensitivity and selectivity. ..
- Thomas G, Willson P. Electrosurgery ignition of a pneumoperitoneum secondary to prior spontaneous perforation of the small bowel: a cautionary tale. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2012;94:e70-1 pubmed publisher..This rare occurrence has only been described once before. Surgeons should be aware of the possible combustion of bowel gas, whether on opening bowel or the peritoneum after bowel perforation. ..
- Ahmad M, Sivaraman A, Zia A, Rai A, Patel A. Percutaneous locking plates for fractures of the distal tibia: our experience and a review of the literature. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012;72:E81-7 pubmed..Distal tibial locking plates have high fracture union rates, minimum soft tissue complications, and good functional outcomes. The literature shows similar fracture union and complication rates in locking and nonlocking plates. ..
- Field R, Rajakulendran K, Eswaramoorthy V, Rushton N. Three-year prospective clinical and radiological results of a new flexible horseshoe acetabular cup. Hip Int. 2012;22:598-606 pubmed publisher..Three patients have subsequently undergone revision of the acetabular cup, at 41, 42 and 50 months respectively. The cause of the osteolysis is the subject of on-going investigation...
- Wu P, Agnelli L, Walker B, Todoerti K, Lionetti M, Johnson D, et al. Improved risk stratification in myeloma using a microRNA-based classifier. Br J Haematol. 2013;162:348-59 pubmed publisher..This is the first report showing that miRNAs can be built into molecular diagnostic strategies for risk stratification in MM. ..
- Willis T, Zalcberg I, Coignet L, Wlodarska I, Stul M, Jadayel D, et al. Molecular cloning of translocation t(1;14)(q21;q32) defines a novel gene (BCL9) at chromosome 1q21. Blood. 1998;91:1873-81 pubmed..These data suggest that BCL9 may be the target of translocation in some B-cell malignancies with abnormalities of 1q21 and that deregulated BCL9 expression may be important in their pathogenesis. ..
- Shehata H, Okosun H. Neurological disorders in pregnancy. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2004;16:117-22 pubmed..This paper reviews the current concepts and outlines appropriate management of conditions such as epilepsy, headache, benign intracranial hypertension, myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, Bell's palsy and cerebrovascular disorders. ..
- Workman P. Altered states: selectively drugging the Hsp90 cancer chaperone. Trends Mol Med. 2004;10:47-51 pubmed..However, the reason for therapeutic selectivity in cancer cells versus normal cells is unclear. New research now shows that Hsp90 exists in cancer cells in a heightened, activated state that is highly susceptible to inhibition by 17AAG. ..
- Walker W, Barton Smith P. Long-term follow up of uterine artery embolisation--an effective alternative in the treatment of fibroids. BJOG. 2006;113:464-8 pubmed..These findings show that UAE is of benefit to women wishing to avoid hysterectomy and it carries a low risk of complications. ..
- Chua S, Rozalli F, O Connor S. Imaging features of primary extranodal lymphomas. Clin Radiol. 2009;64:574-88 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the radiological appearances, using a variety of imaging methods, of the full spectrum of primary extranodal lymphomas, categorized according to the current World Health Organisation classification...
- Lubbe S, Pittman A, Olver B, Lloyd A, Vijayakrishnan J, Naranjo S, et al. The 14q22.2 colorectal cancer variant rs4444235 shows cis-acting regulation of BMP4. Oncogene. 2012;31:3777-84 pubmed publisher..001). These data provide evidence for a functional basis for the non-coding risk variant rs4444235 at 14q22.2 and emphasizes the importance of genetic variation in the BMP pathway genes as determinants of CRC risk. ..