Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on eating in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Locale: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Wideman R, Kieffer T. Mining incretin hormone pathways for novel therapies. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2009;20:280-6 pubmed publisher..Here, we review these recent advances and outline the multiple strategies being pursued to exploit the potential therapeutic benefits of GIP and GLP-1. ..
- Karunakaran S, Manji A, Yan C, Wu Z, Clee S. Moo1 obesity quantitative trait locus in BTBR T+ Itpr3tf/J mice increases food intake. Physiol Genomics. 2013;45:191-9 pubmed publisher..These studies show that the Moo1 obesity QTL affects food intake, likely through a novel mechanism, and indicate that modulation of the underlying pathway may not only ameliorate obesity but also its clinical consequences. ..
- Van Leeuwen T, Rosenfeld J, Richards J. Adaptive trade-offs in juvenile salmonid metabolism associated with habitat partitioning between coho salmon and steelhead trout in coastal streams. J Anim Ecol. 2011;80:1012-23 pubmed publisher..5. We hypothesize that divergent digestive strategies, which are common and well documented among terrestrial vertebrates, may be an important but overlooked aspect of adaptive strategies of juvenile salmonids, and fish in general. ..
- Wong B, Hossain S, Trinh E, Ottmann G, Budaghzadeh S, Zheng Q, et al. Hyperactivity, startle reactivity and cell-proliferation deficits are resistant to chronic lithium treatment in adult Nr2e1(frc/frc) mice. Genes Brain Behav. 2010;9:681-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, Nr2e1(frc/frc) mice exhibit behavioral traits used to model BP in rodents, but our results do not support Nr2e1(frc/frc) mice as pharmacological models for BP. ..
- Proudfoot K, Veira D, Weary D, von Keyserlingk M. Competition at the feed bunk changes the feeding, standing, and social behavior of transition dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2009;92:3116-23 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that restricting access to feed increases displacements regardless of parity, and alters the feeding and standing behavior of primiparous and multiparous cows differently. ..
- Unniappan S, Speck M, Kieffer T. Metabolic effects of chronic obestatin infusion in rats. Peptides. 2008;29:1354-61 pubmed publisher..Moreover, obestatin did not bind to INS-1 beta-cells or HEK cells overexpressing GLP-1 receptors or displace GLP-1 binding to these cells. Our findings do not support the concept that obestatin is a hormone with metabolic actions. ..
- Chan E, Nasir J, Gutekunst C, Coleman S, Maclean A, Maas A, et al. Targeted disruption of Huntingtin-associated protein-1 (Hap1) results in postnatal death due to depressed feeding behavior. Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:945-59 pubmed..HAP-1 is particularly enriched in the hypothalamus, which is well documented to regulate feeding behavior. Our results demonstrate that HAP-1 plays an essential role in regulating postnatal feeding. ..
- Ralph S, Chun H, Cooper D, Kirkpatrick R, Kolosova N, Gunter L, et al. Analysis of 4,664 high-quality sequence-finished poplar full-length cDNA clones and their utility for the discovery of genes responding to insect feeding. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:57 pubmed publisher..Sequences from this study have been deposited in NCBI GenBank under the accession numbers EF144175 to EF148838. ..
- Hughes M, Smits J, Elliott J, Bennett D. Morphological and pathological effects of cadmium ingestion on Pekin ducks exposed to saline. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2000;61:591-608 pubmed..The cadmium-induced changes in organs, particularly in the gonads, kidneys, and adrenal glands, should greatly impair the health and reproductive capacity of these ducks...
- Wasan K, Risovic V, Yuen V, McNeill J. Differences in plasma homocysteine levels between Zucker fatty and Zucker diabetic fatty rats following 3 weeks oral administration of organic vanadium compounds. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2006;19:251-8 pubmed..ZF rats are a model of pre-diabetic Type 2 diabetes characterized by hyperinsulinemia and normoglycemia. The ZDF rat is a model of Type 2 diabetes characterized by relative hypoinsulinemia and hyperglycemia...
- De Paula Vieira A, von Keyserlingk M, Weary D. Effects of pair versus single housing on performance and behavior of dairy calves before and after weaning from milk. J Dairy Sci. 2010;93:3079-85 pubmed publisher..8 vs. -0.9+/-0.3 kg/d per calf, respectively). The results indicate that pair housing during the milk-feeding stage reduces calf responses to weaning and improves performance after weaning when calves are housed in groups. ..
- Yang G, Fredholm B, Kieffer T, Kwok Y. Improved blood glucose disposal and altered insulin secretion patterns in adenosine A(1) receptor knockout mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012;303:E180-90 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, A(1) receptors in the pancreas are involved in regulating the temporal patterns of insulin release, which could have implications in the development of glucose intolerance seen in T2DM. ..
- Koven W, Schulte P. The effect of fasting and refeeding on mRNA expression of PepT1 and gastrointestinal hormones regulating digestion and food intake in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish Physiol Biochem. 2012;38:1565-1575 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results suggest that PepT1 may be a contributing mechanism to compensatory growth that could influence CCK secretion and GRP and GHR activity. ..
- Chanoine J, De Waele K, Walia P. Ghrelin and the growth hormone secretagogue receptor in growth and development. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009;33 Suppl 1:S48-52 pubmed publisher..These data point toward a physiological role for ghrelin and GHSR in growth and/or in the maturation of hormonal systems involved in the regulation of energy balance. ..
- Donnelly C, Trites A, Kitts D. Possible effects of pollock and herring on the growth and reproductive success of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus): insights from feeding experiments using an alternative animal model, Rattus norvegicus. Br J Nutr. 2003;89:71-82 pubmed..However, supplementation of pollock meal with additional pollock oil may reduce growth and reproductive performance, although the reasons for this were not apparent...
- Wittrock J, Proudfoot K, Weary D, von Keyserlingk M. Short communication: Metritis affects milk production and cull rate of Holstein multiparous and primiparous dairy cows differently. J Dairy Sci. 2011;94:2408-12 pubmed publisher..No differences were found in any measurement between primiparous cows with and without metritis. These results indicate that metritis in early lactation has long-term effects on multiparous cows but not primiparous cows...
- Schirmann K, Chapinal N, Weary D, Heuwieser W, von Keyserlingk M. Rumination and its relationship to feeding and lying behavior in Holstein dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2012;95:3212-7 pubmed publisher..11). These data indicate that rumination time can be used to estimate within-cow variation in feeding behavior and intake, but daily summaries of rumination behavior are a poor indicator of DMI. ..