Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Locale: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Publications715 found, 100 shown here
- Kim S, Winter K, Nian C, Tsuneoka M, Koda Y, McIntosh C. Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) stimulation of pancreatic beta-cell survival is dependent upon phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K)/protein kinase B (PKB) signaling, inactivation of the forkhead transcription factor Foxo1, and down. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:22297-307 pubmed..The results show that PI3K/PKB/Foxo1 signaling mediates GIP suppression of bax gene expression and that this module is a key pathway by which GIP regulates beta-cell apoptosis in vivo. ..
- Cutz J, Guan J, Bayani J, Yoshimoto M, Xue H, Sutcliffe M, et al. Establishment in severe combined immunodeficiency mice of subrenal capsule xenografts and transplantable tumor lines from a variety of primary human lung cancers: potential models for studying tumor progression-related changes. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:4043-54 pubmed..The transplantable tumor lines seem to provide good models for studying various aspects of tumor progression and a platform for developing novel therapeutic regimens, with the possibility of patient-tailored therapies. ..
- Shih A, Erb H, Murphy T. Dopamine activates Nrf2-regulated neuroprotective pathways in astrocytes and meningeal cells. J Neurochem. 2007;101:109-19 pubmed..These in vitro results suggest Nrf2 activity in astrocytes and meningeal cells link the neurotoxic actions of dopamine to neuroprotective pathways that may potentially modulate ischemic injury and neurodegeneration. ..
- Sutton T, Tayyari F, Khan M, Manson H, Hegele R. T helper 1 background protects against airway hyperresponsiveness and inflammation in guinea pigs with persistent respiratory syncytial virus infection. Pediatr Res. 2007;61:525-9 pubmed..Heterogeneity in virus-host interactions may be relevant to understanding why some children hospitalized for RSV bronchiolitis go on to develop recurrent wheezing/asthma symptoms. ..
- Wong R, Ng P, Dedhar S, Li G. The role of integrin-linked kinase in melanoma cell migration, invasion, and tumor growth. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007;6:1692-700 pubmed..This study highlights the importance of ILK in melanoma progression and provides an attractive target for the treatment of melanoma. ..
- Narani N, Owen G, Hakkinen L, Putnins E, Larjava H. Enamel matrix proteins bind to wound matrix proteins and regulate their cell-adhesive properties. Eur J Oral Sci. 2007;115:288-95 pubmed..Such interactions may favor fibroblast adhesion over epithelial cells, potentially promoting connective tissue regeneration. ..
- Kang Y, Zhang X, Dobie F, Wu H, Craig A. Induction of GABAergic postsynaptic differentiation by alpha-neurexins. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2323-34 pubmed..Thus, +S4 beta-neurexins and, even more selectively, alpha-neurexins may be mediators of GABAergic synaptic protein recruitment and stabilization. ..
- Goytain A, Quamme G. Identification and characterization of a novel family of membrane magnesium transporters, MMgT1 and MMgT2. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;294:C495-502 pubmed..These experiments suggest that MMgT proteins may provide regulated pathways for Mg(2+) transport in the Golgi and post-Golgi organelles of epithelium-derived cells. ..
- Ludwiczek S, Rosell F, Ludwiczek M, Mauk A. Recombinant expression and initial characterization of the putative human enteric ferric reductase Dcytb. Biochemistry. 2008;47:753-61 pubmed
- Williams B, Lee R, Becnel J, Weiss L, Fast N, Keeling P. Genome sequence surveys of Brachiola algerae and Edhazardia aedis reveal microsporidia with low gene densities. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:200 pubmed publisher..The smallest microsporidian genomes have received the most attention, but genomes of different species range in size from 2.3 Mb to 19.5 Mb and the nature of the larger genomes remains unknown...
- Khong A, Jan E. Modulation of stress granules and P bodies during dicistrovirus infection. J Virol. 2011;85:1439-51 pubmed publisher..In summary, we propose that dicistrovirus infection leads to the selective inhibition of distinct SGs so that viral proteins are available for viral processing. ..
- Jamieson W, Lewis C, Sakwa M, Cooley D, Kshettry V, Jones K, et al. St Jude Medical Epic porcine bioprosthesis: results of the regulatory evaluation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011;141:1449-54.e2 pubmed publisher..This study establishes the early clinical performance including durability of this porcine bioprosthesis. ..
- Hojabrpour P, Waissbluth I, Ghaffari M, Cox M, Duronio V. CaMKII-? mediates phosphorylation of BAD at Ser170 to regulate cytokine-dependent survival and proliferation. Biochem J. 2012;442:139-49 pubmed publisher..The present study provides support for BAD-Ser170 phosphorylation playing a key role not only in regulating BAD's pro-apoptotic activity, but also in cell proliferation. ..
- Schmouth J, Castellarin M, Laprise S, Banks K, Bonaguro R, McInerny S, et al. Non-coding-regulatory regions of human brain genes delineated by bacterial artificial chromosome knock-in mice. BMC Biol. 2013;11:106 pubmed publisher..Our results also show that a careful investigation, using publicly available resources and bioinformatics, can lead to accurate predictions of gene expression. ..
- Wong S, Freeman J, Kelleher C, Mager D, Takei F. Ly-49 multigene family. New members of a superfamily of type II membrane proteins with lectin-like domains. J Immunol. 1991;147:1417-23 pubmed..These results demonstrate the existence of several functional genes that are highly related to Ly-49. These genes comprise a subfamily within the superfamily of type II transmembrane proteins containing CRD. ..
- Magnuson D, Peet M, Curry K, McLennan H. The action of quinolinate in the rat spinal cord in vitro. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1987;65:2483-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that a fourth amino acid receptor responsible for quinolinate's action in the spinal cord may exist. ..
- Skov K, Macphail S. Low concentrations of nitroimidazoles: effective radiosensitizers at low doses. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1994;29:87-93 pubmed..The 2-nitroimidazole predecessor, misonidazole, shows the same cross-over behavior. Two nitroimidazoles at low concentrations appear to be as effective sensitizers (or better) at low doses (80% S); at high doses (2% S). ..
- Isaac Renton J, Bowie W, King A, Irwin G, Ong C, Fung C, et al. Detection of Toxoplasma gondii oocysts in drinking water. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1998;64:2278-80 pubmed..Validation of the method developed was tested by using oocysts from a well-characterized Toxoplasma strain. ..
- McRory J, Hamid J, Doering C, Garcia E, Parker R, Hamming K, et al. The CACNA1F gene encodes an L-type calcium channel with unique biophysical properties and tissue distribution. J Neurosci. 2004;24:1707-18 pubmed..Immunohistochemical analyses show that, in contrast with previous reports, Ca(v)1.4 is widely distributed outside the retina, including in the immune system, thus suggesting a broader role in human physiology. ..
- Hampton D, Seitz A, Chen P, Heber Katz E, Fawcett J. Altered CNS response to injury in the MRL/MpJ mouse. Neuroscience. 2004;127:821-32 pubmed..No axonal regeneration was observed following axotomy to the nigrostriatal pathway of the MRL/MpJ or the Swiss Webster mice at any time point. ..
- Choi W, Khurana A, Mathur R, Viswanathan V, Steele D, Fedida D. Kv1.5 surface expression is modulated by retrograde trafficking of newly endocytosed channels by the dynein motor. Circ Res. 2005;97:363-71 pubmed..This work has significant implications for understanding the way Kv channel surface expression is regulated. ..
- Youds J, O Neil N, Rose A. Homologous recombination is required for genome stability in the absence of DOG-1 in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2006;173:697-708 pubmed..Our data support the hypothesis that absence of DOG-1 leads to replication fork stalling that can be repaired by deletion-free or deletion-prone mechanisms. ..
- Fedida D, Orth P, Hesketh J, Ezrin A. The role of late I and antiarrhythmic drugs in EAD formation and termination in Purkinje fibers. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2006;17 Suppl 1:S71-S78 pubmed
- Petrik M, Wong M, Tabata R, Garry R, Shaw C. Aluminum adjuvant linked to Gulf War illness induces motor neuron death in mice. Neuromolecular Med. 2007;9:83-100 pubmed..The findings suggest a possible role for the aluminum adjuvant in some neurological features associated with GWI and possibly an additional role for the combination of adjuvants. ..
- Deghmane A, Soualhine H, Soulhine H, Bach H, Sendide K, Itoh S, et al. Lipoamide dehydrogenase mediates retention of coronin-1 on BCG vacuoles, leading to arrest in phagosome maturation. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2796-806 pubmed..These findings provide further support for the relevance of the LpdC-coronin-1 interaction in phagosome maturation arrest. ..
- Jalili R, Forouzandeh F, Moeenrezakhanlou A, Rayat G, Rajotte R, Uludag H, et al. Mouse pancreatic islets are resistant to indoleamine 2,3 dioxygenase-induced general control nonderepressible-2 kinase stress pathway and maintain normal viability and function. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:196-205 pubmed publisher..These findings collectively confirm normal viability and functionality of islets cocultured with IDO-expressing cells and indicate the feasibility of development of a functional nonrejectable islet graft. ..
- Franklin M, Nieman C, Janmaat A, Soberon M, Bravo A, Tabashnik B, et al. Modified Bacillus thuringiensis toxins and a hybrid B. thuringiensis strain counter greenhouse-selected resistance in Trichoplusia ni. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:5739-41 pubmed publisher..thuringiensis and genetically modified toxins Cry1AbMod and Cry1AcMod, which lack helix alpha-1. Resistance to Cry1AbMod and Cry1AcMod was >100-fold less than resistance to native toxins Cry1Ab and Cry1Ac. ..
- Chang T. Activation of pregnane X receptor (PXR) and constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) by herbal medicines. AAPS J. 2009;11:590-601 pubmed publisher..The overall aim of this article is to provide an overview of our current understanding of the role of herbal medicines as modulators of PXR and CAR. ..
- Dong X, Svensson P, Cairns B. The analgesic action of topical diclofenac may be mediated through peripheral NMDA receptor antagonism. Pain. 2009;147:36-45 pubmed publisher..This property may contribute to the analgesic effect of topical diclofenac when used for muscle pain. ..
- Karamboulas K, Dranse H, Underhill T. Regulation of BMP-dependent chondrogenesis in early limb mesenchyme by TGFbeta signals. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2068-76 pubmed publisher..However, the programs differ in the transient signals driving chondrogenic responsiveness to BMPs, with SHH operating in the former and TGFbeta activation in the latter. ..
- Handrigan G, Leung K, Richman J. Identification of putative dental epithelial stem cells in a lizard with life-long tooth replacement. Development. 2010;137:3545-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, their location on the non-tooth-forming side of the dental lamina implies that dental stem cells are sequestered from signals that might otherwise induce them to differentiate. ..
- Deb S, Bandiera S. Regulation of cytochrome P450 1B1 expression by luteinizing hormone in mouse MA-10 and rat R2C Leydig cells: role of protein kinase A. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:89-96 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the results identify PRKA as the major signaling pathway involved in the LH-mediated regulation of testicular CYP1B1 expression in Leydig tumor cells. ..
- Ryz N, Patterson S, Zhang Y, Ma C, Huang T, Bhinder G, et al. Active vitamin D (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3) increases host susceptibility to Citrobacter rodentium by suppressing mucosal Th17 responses. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012;303:G1299-311 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies show that 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) suppresses Th17 T-cell responses in vivo and impairs mucosal host defense against an enteric bacterial pathogen. ..
- Yang G, Zhou X, Zhu J, Liu R, Zhang S, Coquinco A, et al. JNK3 couples the neuronal stress response to inhibition of secretory trafficking. Sci Signal. 2013;6:ra57 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that JNK3 participates in an adaptive response to neuronal hyperexcitation by impeding secretory trafficking at the Golgi complex. ..
- Erickson P, Glazer A, Killingbeck E, Agoglia R, Baek J, Carsanaro S, et al. Partially repeatable genetic basis of benthic adaptation in threespine sticklebacks. Evolution. 2016;70:887-902 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that benthic adaptation has occurred via both parallel and nonparallel genetic changes. ..
- Liu M, Aebersold R, Fann C, Lee C. Molecular and developmental studies of a sperm acrosome antigen recognized by HS-63 monoclonal antibody. Biol Reprod. 1992;46:937-48 pubmed..The gene expression of MSA-63 during spermatogenesis in mice was studied using a specific cDNA probe as well as HS-63. It was observed that MSA-63 was not expressed until the postmeiotic stages of spermatogenesis. ..
- Reimer G, Suarez A. Development of a screening method for five sulfonamides in salmon muscle tissue using thin-layer chromatography. J Chromatogr. 1991;555:315-20 pubmed..The method was found to give linear detector responses for all analytes over spiking levels ranging from 0 to 2 ppm. ..
- Richman J, Fu K, Cox L, Sibbons J, Cox T. Isolation and characterisation of the chick orthologue of the Opitz syndrome gene, Mid1, supports a conserved role in vertebrate development. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:441-8 pubmed..These data indicate that Mid1 plays an evolutionarily conserved developmental function in vertebrates that may involve effects on cellular proliferation, tissue interactions and morphogenesis. ..
- Singaraja R, Hadano S, Metzler M, Givan S, Wellington C, Warby S, et al. HIP14, a novel ankyrin domain-containing protein, links huntingtin to intracellular trafficking and endocytosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:2815-28 pubmed..Our findings suggest that decreased interaction between htt and HIP14 could contribute to the neuronal dysfunction in HD by perturbing normal intracellular transport pathways in neurons. ..
- Jiang X, Zhao Y, Chan W, Vercauteren S, Pang E, Kennedy S, et al. Deregulated expression in Ph+ human leukemias of AHI-1, a gene activated by insertional mutagenesis in mouse models of leukemia. Blood. 2004;103:3897-904 pubmed
- Scott A, Cook J, Hart D, Walker D, Duronio V, Khan K. Tenocyte responses to mechanical loading in vivo: a role for local insulin-like growth factor 1 signaling in early tendinosis in rats. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:871-81 pubmed..To investigate tenocyte regulatory events during the development of overuse supraspinatus tendinosis in rats...
- Veerman K, Williams M, Uchimura K, Singer M, Merzaban J, Naus S, et al. Interaction of the selectin ligand PSGL-1 with chemokines CCL21 and CCL19 facilitates efficient homing of T cells to secondary lymphoid organs. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:532-9 pubmed..Our data show involvement of PSGL-1 in facilitating the entry of T cells into secondary lymphoid organs, thereby demonstrating the bifunctional nature of this molecule. ..
- Steele D, Eldstrom J, Fedida D. Mechanisms of cardiac potassium channel trafficking. J Physiol. 2007;582:17-26 pubmed..Our knowledge of channel assembly, trafficking through the Golgi apparatus and on to the surface is covered, as are controls on channel surface retention and endocytosis. ..
- Poburko D, Liao C, Lemos V, Lin E, Maruyama Y, Cole W, et al. Transient receptor potential channel 6-mediated, localized cytosolic [Na+] transients drive Na+/Ca2+ exchanger-mediated Ca2+ entry in purinergically stimulated aorta smooth muscle cells. Circ Res. 2007;101:1030-8 pubmed..Analysis of the LNats, which facilitate Ca2+ entry via NCX, suggests that mitochondria limit the cytosolic diffusion of LNats generated by agonist-mediated activation of transient receptor potential channel 6-containing channels. ..
- Argiropoulos B, Humphries R. Hox genes in hematopoiesis and leukemogenesis. Oncogene. 2007;26:6766-76 pubmed..Given the documented role of Hox genes in hematopoiesis and leukemogenesis, we propose that Hox-dependent pathways are closely linked to the self-renewal program crucial to the origin and function of leukemic stem cells. ..
- Ralph S, Chun H, Cooper D, Kirkpatrick R, Kolosova N, Gunter L, et al. Analysis of 4,664 high-quality sequence-finished poplar full-length cDNA clones and their utility for the discovery of genes responding to insect feeding. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:57 pubmed publisher..Sequences from this study have been deposited in NCBI GenBank under the accession numbers EF144175 to EF148838. ..
- Randhawa A, Ziltener H, Stokes R. CD43 controls the intracellular growth of Mycobacterium tuberculosis through the induction of TNF-alpha-mediated apoptosis. Cell Microbiol. 2008;10:2105-17 pubmed publisher..We propose that CD43 is involved in the inflammatory response to M. tuberculosis and, through the induction of pro-inflammatory mediators, can regulate apoptosis to control intracellular growth of the bacterium. ..
- Joshi B, Li L, Nabi I. A role for KAI1 in promotion of cell proliferation and mammary gland hyperplasia by the gp78 ubiquitin ligase. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8830-9 pubmed publisher..However, the hyperplastic phenotype observed in mammary glands of MMTV-gp78 transgenic mice identifies a novel role for gp78 expression in enhancing mammary epithelial cell proliferation and nontumorigenic ductal outgrowth. ..
- Cham K, Baker J, Takhar K, Flexman J, Wong M, Owen D, et al. Metronomic gemcitabine suppresses tumour growth, improves perfusion, and reduces hypoxia in human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Br J Cancer. 2010;103:52-60 pubmed publisher..Metronomic dosing of gemcitabine is active in pancreatic cancer and is accompanied by pronounced changes in the tumour microenvironment. ..
- Azadi S, Molday L, Molday R. RD3, the protein associated with Leber congenital amaurosis type 12, is required for guanylate cyclase trafficking in photoreceptor cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:21158-63 pubmed publisher..The resulting deficiency in cGMP synthesis and the constitutive closure of cGMP-gated channels might cause a reduction in intracellular Ca(2+) to a level below that required for long-term photoreceptor cell survival. ..
- Kim P, Hoffman B, Plesner A, Helgason C, Verchere C, Chung S, et al. Differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells into endoderm without embryoid body formation. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14146 pubmed publisher..1. This protocol using all-trans-retinoic acid, DBcAMP, in the absence of embryoid bodies, generated cells that have features of definitive endoderm that may serve as pancreatic endocrine precursors. ..
- Maltby S, Freeman S, Gold M, Baker J, Minchinton A, Gold M, et al. Opposing roles for CD34 in B16 melanoma tumor growth alter early stage vasculature and late stage immune cell infiltration. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18160 pubmed publisher..In aggregate, our analysis reveals a novel role for CD34 in both early and late tumor growth and provides novel insights into the role of the tumor microenvironment in tumor progression. ..
- Schirmann K, Chapinal N, Weary D, Heuwieser W, von Keyserlingk M. Short-term effects of regrouping on behavior of prepartum dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2011;94:2312-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that regrouping can affect behavior of prepartum dairy cows, especially those cows that are moved to a new pen. ..
- Wafa L, Cheng H, Plaa N, Ghaidi F, Fukumoto T, Fazli L, et al. Carbidopa abrogates L-dopa decarboxylase coactivation of the androgen receptor and delays prostate tumor progression. Int J Cancer. 2012;130:2835-44 pubmed publisher..Since carbidopa is clinically approved, it may be readily used as a novel therapeutic strategy to suppress aberrant AR activity and delay prostate cancer progression...
- Clark T, Jeffries K, Hinch S, Farrell A. Exceptional aerobic scope and cardiovascular performance of pink salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) may underlie resilience in a warming climate. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:3074-81 pubmed publisher..While forecasted summer river temperatures over the next century are likely to negatively impact all Pacific salmonids, we suggest that the cardiorespiratory capacity of pink salmon may confer a selective advantage over other species. ..
- Speers Roesch B, Brauner C, Farrell A, Hickey A, Renshaw G, Wang Y, et al. Hypoxia tolerance in elasmobranchs. II. Cardiovascular function and tissue metabolic responses during progressive and relative hypoxia exposures. J Exp Biol. 2012;215:103-14 pubmed publisher..This could facilitate strategic utilization of available O(2) for vital organs such as the heart, potentially explaining the greater hypoxic cardiovascular function of epaulette sharks...
- Baker J, Huxham L, Kyle A, Lam K, Minchinton A. Vascular-specific quantification in an in vivo Matrigel chamber angiogenesis assay. Microvasc Res. 2006;71:69-75 pubmed
- Huber M, Helgason C, Scheid M, Duronio V, Humphries R, Krystal G. Targeted disruption of SHIP leads to Steel factor-induced degranulation of mast cells. EMBO J. 1998;17:7311-9 pubmed..These results suggest that SHIP prevents SF from triggering degranulation of normal BMMCs, and does so by hydrolyzing PIP3, which in turn limits extracellular calcium entry at a step after the release of intracellular calcium. ..
- Hakkinen L, Strassburger S, Kahari V, Scott P, Eichstetter I, Lozzo R, et al. A role for decorin in the structural organization of periodontal ligament. Lab Invest. 2000;80:1869-80 pubmed..The findings demonstrate that decorin plays a role in the organization of collagen fibrils and regulates cell proliferation in the periodontal ligament. ..
- Pospisilik J, Martin J, Doty T, Ehses J, Pamir N, Lynn F, et al. Dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor treatment stimulates beta-cell survival and islet neogenesis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Diabetes. 2003;52:741-50 pubmed..These novel findings provide evidence to support the potential utility of DP IV inhibitors in the treatment of type 1 and possibly late-stage type 2 diabetes. ..
- Wellington C, Brunham L, Zhou S, Singaraja R, Visscher H, Gelfer A, et al. Alterations of plasma lipids in mice via adenoviral-mediated hepatic overexpression of human ABCA1. J Lipid Res. 2003;44:1470-80 pubmed..Our results suggest that appropriate regulation of ABCA1 is critical for a selective increase in HDL cholesterol levels...
- Ho C, Bush J, Li G. Tissue-specific regulation of Apaf-1 expression by p53. Oncol Rep. 2003;10:1139-43 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that p53 regulation of Apaf-1 expression is tissue-specific. ..
- Keeling C, Bohlmann J. Genes, enzymes and chemicals of terpenoid diversity in the constitutive and induced defence of conifers against insects and pathogens. New Phytol. 2006;170:657-75 pubmed..It also examines how insects and their associated pathogens interact with, elicit, and are affected by conifer-produced terpenoids...
- Kim M, Wang F, Puthanveetil P, Kewalramani G, Hosseini Beheshti E, Ng N, et al. Protein kinase D is a key regulator of cardiomyocyte lipoprotein lipase secretion after diabetes. Circ Res. 2008;103:252-60 pubmed publisher..Results from this study could help in restricting cardiac LPL translocation, leading to strategies that overcome contractile dysfunction after diabetes. ..
- Sly L, Hamilton M, Kuroda E, Ho V, Antignano F, Omeis S, et al. SHIP prevents lipopolysaccharide from triggering an antiviral response in mice. Blood. 2009;113:2945-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, up-regulation of SHIP in response to Gram-negative bacterial infections probably explains the inability of such infections to protect against subsequent viral infections. ..
- Zeeb F, Robbins T, Winstanley C. Serotonergic and dopaminergic modulation of gambling behavior as assessed using a novel rat gambling task. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009;34:2329-43 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that both serotonergic and dopaminergic agents can impair and improve gambling performance, and indicate that the rGT will be a useful tool to study the biological basis of gambling. ..
- Scott G, Richards J, Milsom W. Control of respiration in flight muscle from the high-altitude bar-headed goose and low-altitude birds. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;297:R1066-74 pubmed publisher..The unique differences in bar-headed geese existed without prior exercise or hypoxia exposure and were not a result of phylogenetic history, and may, therefore, be important evolutionary specializations for high-altitude flight. ..
- Ni H, De Waele K, Walia P, Chanoine J. In vitro and in vivo effect of acylated and unacylated ghrelin on neonatal glucose homeostasis. Pediatr Res. 2010;67:609-13 pubmed publisher..In summary, AG has insulinostatic effects in vitro as early as during the perinatal period. These effects could not be confirmed in vivo, possibly due to the short half-life of AG in rat neonates. ..
- Miresmailli S, Gries R, Gries G, Zamar R, Isman M. Herbivore-induced plant volatiles allow detection of Trichoplusia ni (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) infestation on greenhouse tomato plants. Pest Manag Sci. 2010;66:916-24 pubmed publisher..The present objective was to investigate whether the information associated with HIPVs has potential to become part of advanced technologies for monitoring pest insect populations...
- Westwell Roper C, Dai D, Soukhatcheva G, Potter K, Van Rooijen N, Ehses J, et al. IL-1 blockade attenuates islet amyloid polypeptide-induced proinflammatory cytokine release and pancreatic islet graft dysfunction. J Immunol. 2011;187:2755-65 pubmed publisher..These data raise the possibility that islet amyloid-induced inflammation contributes to ? cell dysfunction in type 2 diabetes and islet transplantation. ..
- Putrenko I, Schwarz S. Lidocaine blocks the hyperpolarization-activated mixed cation current, I(h), in rat thalamocortical neurons. Anesthesiology. 2011;115:822-35 pubmed publisher..This effect would reduce the neurons' ability to produce intrinsic burst firing and ? rhythms and thereby contribute to the alterations in oscillatory cerebral activity produced by systemic lidocaine in vivo. ..
- Antunes L, Wang M, Andersen S, Ferreira R, Kappelhoff R, Han J, et al. Repression of Salmonella enterica phoP expression by small molecules from physiological bile. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:2286-96 pubmed publisher..Due to the critical role of phoP in Salmonella virulence, further studies in this area will likely reveal aspects of the interaction between Salmonella and bile that are relevant to disease...
- Tse K, Lin K, Dang Lawson M, Guzman Perez A, Aspnes G, Buckbinder L, et al. Small molecule inhibitors of the Pyk2 and FAK kinases modulate chemoattractant-induced migration, adhesion and Akt activation in follicular and marginal zone B cells. Cell Immunol. 2012;275:47-54 pubmed publisher..Thus Pyk2 and FAK mediate critical processes in B cells and these inhibitors can be used to further elucidate their functions in B cells. ..
- McIntyre L, Galanis E, Mattison K, Mykytczuk O, Buenaventura E, Wong J, et al. Multiple clusters of norovirus among shellfish consumers linked to symptomatic oyster harvesters. J Food Prot. 2012;75:1715-20 pubmed publisher..Traceback implicated a single remotely located harvest site probably contaminated by ill shellfish workers during harvesting activities. This outbreak resulted in three recalls, one public advisory, and closure of the harvest site. ..
- Law R, Gur Arie L, Rosenshine I, Finlay B. In vitro and in vivo model systems for studying enteropathogenic Escherichia coli infections. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2013;3:a009977 pubmed publisher..A more detailed understanding of how these pathogenic microbes infect their hosts and how the host responds to infection could ultimately lead to new therapeutic strategies to help control these significant enteric pathogens...
- Li J, Huang X, Zhang R, Kim R, Yang R, Kurata H. Decomposition of slide helix contributions to ATP-dependent inhibition of Kir6.2 channels. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:23038-49 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal unrecognized slide helix elements that are required for functional channel expression and control of Kir6.2 gating by intracellular ATP. ..
- Lui H, Zhang J, Makinson S, Cahill M, Kelley K, Huang H, et al. Progranulin Deficiency Promotes Circuit-Specific Synaptic Pruning by Microglia via Complement Activation. Cell. 2016;165:921-35 pubmed publisher..These results represent an important conceptual advance that complement activation and microglia-mediated synaptic pruning are major drivers, rather than consequences, of neurodegeneration caused by progranulin deficiency. ..
- Guo N, Robertson G, Fibiger H. Scopolamine attenuates haloperidol-induced c-fos expression in the striatum. Brain Res. 1992;588:164-7 pubmed..They are also consistent with the hypothesis that neuroleptic-induced increases in striatal c-fos expression are predictive of extrapyramidal side effects produced by these compounds. ..
- Lee G, Donaldson L, Pufall M, Kang H, Pot I, Graves B, et al. The structural and dynamic basis of Ets-1 DNA binding autoinhibition. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:7088-99 pubmed..Ets-1 autoinhibition illustrates how conformational equilibria within structural domains can regulate macromolecular interactions. ..