Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Locale: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- Plettner E, Gries R. Agonists and antagonists of antennal responses of gypsy moth (Lymantria dispar) to the pheromone (+)-disparlure and other odorants. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:3708-19 pubmed publisher..DEET was more specific in the olfactory responses it inhibited than 1-ethoxy-4-propoxybenzene, and DEET did not inhibit recovery, whereas 1-ethoxy-4-propoxybenzene did. Target sites for the three activities are discussed. ..
- Travers M, Clinchy M, Zanette L, Boonstra R, Williams T. Indirect predator effects on clutch size and the cost of egg production. Ecol Lett. 2010;13:980-8 pubmed publisher..g. oxidative stress and glucocorticoid mobilization) consistent with both a response to the threat of predation and an increased cost of egg production. ..
- de Mestral L, Herbinger C. Reduction in antipredator response detected between first and second generations of endangered juvenile Atlantic salmon Salmo salar in a captive breeding and rearing programme. J Fish Biol. 2013;83:1268-86 pubmed publisher..These results add to the growing evidence documenting rapid genetic change in response to rearing in a captive environment. ..
- Lo K, Visram S, Vogl A, Shen C, Guttman J. Morphological analysis of Francisella novicida epithelial cell infections in the absence of functional FipA. Cell Tissue Res. 2016;363:449-59 pubmed publisher..novicida from its vacuole. Our morphological evidence provides a tangible link as to how Dsb FipA can influence Francisella infections. ..
- Gutiérrez Cabrera A, Córdoba Aguilar A, Zenteno E, Lowenberger C, Espinoza B. Origin, evolution and function of the hemipteran perimicrovillar membrane with emphasis on Reduviidae that transmit Chagas disease. Bull Entomol Res. 2016;106:279-91 pubmed publisher..We propose that the PMM is intimately involved in the interaction with parasites and as such should be a target for biological and chemical control of hemipteran insects of economic and medical importance. ..
- Alava J, Gobas F. Modeling (137)Cs bioaccumulation in the salmon-resident killer whale food web of the Northeastern Pacific following the Fukushima Nuclear Accident. Sci Total Environ. 2016;544:56-67 pubmed publisher..Assessment of the long term consequences of (137)Cs releases from the Fukushima aftermath should consider the extent of ecological magnification in addition to ocean dilution. ..
- Kibenge M, Iwamoto T, Wang Y, Morton A, Routledge R, Kibenge F. Discovery of variant infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) of European genotype in British Columbia, Canada. Virol J. 2016;13:3 pubmed publisher..Our results further suggest that ISAV-HPRÎ” strains can be present without clinical disease in farmed fish and without being detected by virus isolation using fish cell lines. ..
- Davis M, Elliott J, Williams T. The Glaucous-Winged Gull (Larus glaucescens) as an Indicator of Chemical Contaminants in the Canadian Pacific Marine Environment: Evidence from Stable Isotopes. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;73:247-255 pubmed publisher..The predominantly marine diet and relatively high trophic level of this gull supports its use as an indicator of marine pollution on the Pacific coast. ..
- Snutch T, Heschl M, Baillie D. The Caenorhabditis elegans hsp70 gene family: a molecular genetic characterization. Gene. 1988;64:241-55 pubmed..Finally, utilizing strain-specific restriction fragment length differences, we have mapped the chromosomal position of hsp70A to the far right of chromosome IV. ..
- Ursuliak Z, Clemens J, Dixon J, Price J. Differential accumulation of DPTP61F alternative transcripts: regulation of a protein tyrosine phosphatase by segmentation genes. Mech Dev. 1997;65:19-30 pubmed..The segmental modulation of DPTP61Fm transcript accumulation in the A/P axis of the germband is regulated by the pair-rule genes, and the intrasegmental pattern of transcript accumulation is regulated by the segment polarity genes. ..
- Watkins R, Beckenbach A. Partial sequence of a sponge mitochondrial genome reveals sequence similarity to Cnidaria in cytochrome oxidase subunit II and the large ribosomal RNA subunit. J Mol Evol. 1999;48:542-54 pubmed..The gene arrangement, COII-tRNALys-ATP8-ATP6, is observed in many Eumetazoan phyla and is apparently ancestral in the metazoa. ..
- Gamperl A, Todgham A, Parkhouse W, Dill R, Farrell A. Recovery of trout myocardial function following anoxia: preconditioning in a non-mammalian model. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2001;281:R1755-63 pubmed
- Chinnapen D, Sen D. Hemin-stimulated docking of cytochrome c to a hemin-DNA aptamer complex. Biochemistry. 2002;41:5202-12 pubmed..Future experiments will focus on investigating the optimal electron-transfer path between the two iron centers through intervening protein and DNA. ..
- Persaud D, Yousefi V, Haunerland N. Efficient isolation, purification, and characterization of the Helicoverpa zea VHDL receptor. Protein Expr Purif. 2003;32:260-4 pubmed..Sufficient receptor protein has been derived for amino acid analysis, receptor-ligand and xenobiotic binding studies. ..
- White M. Components and mechanisms of thermal hyperpnea. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2006;101:655-63 pubmed..The direct application of this research is for the care of febrile and hyperthermic patients. ..
- Blacque O, Li C, Inglis P, Esmail M, Ou G, Mah A, et al. The WD repeat-containing protein IFTA-1 is required for retrograde intraflagellar transport. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:5053-62 pubmed..Together, our data indicate that IFTA-1 is a novel IFT protein that is required for retrograde transport along ciliary axonemes. ..
- Johnson J, Goulding R, Ding Z, Partovi A, Anthony K, Beaulieu N, et al. Differential membrane binding and diacylglycerol recognition by C1 domains of RasGRPs. Biochem J. 2007;406:223-36 pubmed..The RasGRP4beta C1 domain was non-functional when inserted into either RasGRP1 or RasGRP4, implying that the alternative splicing which produces this C1 domain eliminates its contribution to membrane binding. ..
- Dan P, Lin E, Huang J, Biln P, Tibbits G. Three-dimensional distribution of cardiac Na+-Ca2+ exchanger and ryanodine receptor during development. Biophys J. 2007;93:2504-18 pubmed..We conclude in newborns, Ca(2+) influx via NCX could potentially activate the dense network of peripheral Ca(2+) stores via peripheral couplings, evoking Ca(2+)-induced Ca(2+) release. ..
- Mohamed A, Burr C, Burr A. Unique two-photoreceptor scanning eye of the nematode Mermis nigrescens. Biol Bull. 2007;212:206-21 pubmed..The unique structure of the pigment cup eye is discussed in terms of optical function, phototaxis mechanism, eye nomenclature, and evolution...
- Mah A, Armstrong K, Chew D, Chu J, Tu D, Johnsen R, et al. Transcriptional regulation of AQP-8, a Caenorhabditis elegans aquaporin exclusively expressed in the excretory system, by the POU homeobox transcription factor CEH-6. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:28074-86 pubmed..These parallels in transcriptional control between Brn1 and CEH-6 suggest that C. elegans may well be an appropriate model for determining gene-regulatory networks in the developing vertebrate kidney. ..
- Duan Y, Zheng J, Nicholson R. Inhibition of [3H]batrachotoxinin A-20alpha-benzoate binding to sodium channels and sodium channel function by endocannabinoids. Neurochem Int. 2008;52:438-46 pubmed..It is concluded that direct inhibition of sodium channel function leading to reduced neuronal excitation and depression of presynaptic release of amino acid transmitters is a property shared by several endocannabinoids. ..
- Williams T. Individual variation in endocrine systems: moving beyond the 'tyranny of the Golden Mean'. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2008;363:1687-98 pubmed..behavioural endocrinology). ..
- Robbins M, Judge A, Ambegia E, Choi C, Yaworski E, Palmer L, et al. Misinterpreting the therapeutic effects of small interfering RNA caused by immune stimulation. Hum Gene Ther. 2008;19:991-9 pubmed publisher..The use of chemically modified siRNA with minimal immunostimulatory capacity will help to delineate more accurately the mechanism of action underlying such studies. ..
- Mistlberger R, Yamazaki S, Pendergast J, Landry G, Takumi T, Nakamura W. Comment on "Differential rescue of light- and food-entrainable circadian rhythms". Science. 2008;322:675; author reply 675 pubmed publisher..Lack of food anticipation in Bmal1-/- mice reported by Fuller et al. may reflect morbidity due to weight loss, thus raising questions about their conclusions. ..
- Hilton L, White M, Quarmby L. The NIMA-related kinase NEK1 cycles through the nucleus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;389:52-6 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that NEK1 is a candidate to transduce messages from the ciliary-basal body region to the regulation of nuclear gene expression. ..
- Brolich M, Wang L, O Neill M. Folding kinetics of recognition loop peptides from a photolyase and cryptochrome-DASH. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;391:874-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that evolution of protein dynamics, through local sequence tuning in the recognition loop, may be an important mechanism for functional diversification in PL and CRY. ..
- Chen H, Gong Y, Gries R, Plettner E. Synthesis and biological activity of conformationally restricted gypsy moth pheromone mimics. Bioorg Med Chem. 2010;18:2920-9 pubmed publisher..Compounds that caused PBP2 to adopt a similar conformation than in the presence of pheromone also caused peak widening. This was not the case with PBP1. ..
- Bradford M, Lovy J, Patterson D. Infection of gill and kidney of Fraser River sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka (Walbaum), by Parvicapsula minibicornis and its effect on host physiology. J Fish Dis. 2010;33:769-79 pubmed publisher..These findings support the hypothesis that P. minibicornis impacts the physiology of migrating fish, which may in turn affect the likelihood that adults will be able to migrate and spawn successfully. ..
- Quinn N, Boroevich K, Lubieniecki K, Chow W, Davidson E, Phillips R, et al. Genomic organization and evolution of the Atlantic salmon hemoglobin repertoire. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:539 pubmed publisher..Data deposition: BACs S0155C07 and S0079J05 (fps135): GenBank GQ898924; BACs S0055H05 and S0014B03 (fps1046): GenBank GQ898925. ..
- She R, Chu J, Uyar B, Wang J, Wang K, Chen N. genBlastG: using BLAST searches to build homologous gene models. Bioinformatics. 2011;27:2141-3 pubmed publisher..Here we report an efficient algorithm, genBlastG that directly uses the HSPs reported by BLAST to define high-quality gene models. http://genome.sfu.ca/genblast/download.html ..
- Johnstone K, Lubieniecki K, Koop B, Davidson W. Identification of olfactory receptor genes in Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. J Fish Biol. 2012;81:559-75 pubmed publisher..salar olfactory receptor genes with those of zebrafish Danio rerio, two pufferfish species Takifugu rubripes and Tetraodon nigroviridis, medaka Oryzias latipes and three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus. ..
- Smit A, Patton D, Michalik M, Opiol H, Mistlberger R. Dopaminergic regulation of circadian food anticipatory activity rhythms in the rat. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e82381 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that signaling at D2 receptors is involved in phase control of FEOs responsible for circadian food anticipatory rhythms in rats. ..
- Pradhan Sundd T, Verheyen E. The role of Bro1- domain-containing protein Myopic in endosomal trafficking of Wnt/Wingless. Dev Biol. 2014;392:93-107 pubmed publisher..Our study highlights the importance of early endosomal trafficking for Wg secretion, and identifies a novel role for Mop in Wg signaling. ..
- Foltz I, Gunasekaran K, King C. Discovery and bio-optimization of human antibody therapeutics using the XenoMouse® transgenic mouse platform. Immunol Rev. 2016;270:51-64 pubmed publisher..Here, we review best practices for the discovery and bio-optimization of monoclonal antibodies that fit functional design goals and meet high manufacturing standards...
- Marra M, Prasad S, Baillie D. Molecular analysis of two genes between let-653 and let-56 in the unc-22(IV) region of Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;236:289-98 pubmed
- Scouras A, Smith M. A novel mitochondrial gene order in the crinoid echinoderm Florometra serratissima. Mol Biol Evol. 2001;18:61-73 pubmed..Potential pathways and mechanisms for gene rearrangements between mitochondrial gene maps of echinoderm classes and vertebrates are discussed as indicators of early deuterostome phylogeny. ..
- Macri V, Proenza C, Agranovich E, Angoli D, Accili E. Separable gating mechanisms in a Mammalian pacemaker channel. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:35939-46 pubmed
- Kelly B, Gobas F. An arctic terrestrial food-chain bioaccumulation model for persistent organic pollutants. Environ Sci Technol. 2003;37:2966-74 pubmed..The model shows that persistent low K(OW) (K(OW)s < 10(5)) but high K(OA) substances such as beta-HCH, 1,2,4,5 tetrachlorobenzene, and beta-endosulfan biomagnify in terrestrial mammals. ..
- Deng Y, Nicholson R. Stimulation by surangin B of endogenous amino acid release from synaptosomes. Toxicon. 2003;42:351-7 pubmed
- Hamson D, Watson N. Regional brainstem expression of Fos associated with sexual behavior in male rats. Brain Res. 2004;1006:233-40 pubmed..Overall, the data suggest that processing by brainstem nuclei directly contributes to the regulation of mating behavior in male rats. ..
- Blacque O, Perens E, Boroevich K, Inglis P, Li C, Warner A, et al. Functional genomics of the cilium, a sensory organelle. Curr Biol. 2005;15:935-41 pubmed..7a. Together, our findings help define a ciliary transcriptome and suggest that DYF-13, an evolutionarily conserved protein, is a novel core IFT component required for cilia function. ..
- Landry G, Simon M, Webb I, Mistlberger R. Persistence of a behavioral food-anticipatory circadian rhythm following dorsomedial hypothalamic ablation in rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;290:R1527-34 pubmed..The DMH is not the site of oscillators or entrainment pathways necessary for all manifestations of FAA, but may participate on the output side of this circadian function. ..
- Hu K, Li J, Li B, Webster J, Chen G. A novel antimicrobial epoxide isolated from larval Galleria mellonella infected by the nematode symbiont, Photorhabdus luminescens (Enterobacteriaceae). Bioorg Med Chem. 2006;14:4677-81 pubmed..Epoxide 1 was cytotoxic against human cancer cell lines, MCF-7 wt, H460, and Jurkat, with GI(50) of 2.14, 0.63, and 0.42 microM, respectively, but was less toxic on normal, mouse splenic lymphocytes with a GI(50) of 45.00 microM. ..
- Yao Y, Vieira A. Protective activities of Vaccinium antioxidants with potential relevance to mitochondrial dysfunction and neurotoxicity. Neurotoxicology. 2007;28:93-100 pubmed
- Zeng Y, Rahnama M, Wang S, Sosu Sedzorme W, Verheyen E. Drosophila Nemo antagonizes BMP signaling by phosphorylation of Mad and inhibition of its nuclear accumulation. Development. 2007;134:2061-71 pubmed..This is the first example of the inhibition of Drosophila BMP signaling by a MAPK and represents a novel mechanism of Smad inhibition through the phosphorylation of a conserved serine residue within the MH1 domain of Mad. ..
- Leroux M. Taking vesicular transport to the cilium. Cell. 2007;129:1041-3 pubmed
- Parkhouse W, Cunningham L, McFee I, Miller J, Whitney D, Pelech S, et al. Neuromuscular dysfunction in the mutant superoxide dismutase mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2008;9:24-34 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the debility in the mSOD mouse model of ALS is produced, in part, by impaired retrograde uptake/transport in motor neuron axons in spite of regenerative support from muscle such as elevated expression of PKB...
- Lam K, Thu K, Tsang M, Moore M, Gries G. Bacteria on housefly eggs, Musca domestica, suppress fungal growth in chicken manure through nutrient depletion or antifungal metabolites. Naturwissenschaften. 2009;96:1127-32 pubmed publisher..Well-established fungi in resources significantly reduced the number of larval offspring that completed development to adult flies. ..
- Davidson W, Huang T, Fujiki K, von Schalburg K, Koop B. The sex determining loci and sex chromosomes in the family salmonidae. Sex Dev. 2009;3:78-87 pubmed publisher..The availability of a reference salmonid genome sequence would provide an important resource for research in this area...
- Yuzwa S, Vocadlo D. O-GlcNAc modification and the tauopathies: insights from chemical biology. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2009;6:451-4 pubmed..In this mini-review, we highlight the use of chemical compounds as a means of understanding the reciprocal nature of tau phosphorylation and tau O-GlcNAcylation and highlight some recent progress in this area. ..
- Braid L, Lee W, Uetrecht A, Swarup S, Papaianni G, Heiler A, et al. Nemo phosphorylates Even-skipped and promotes Eve-mediated repression of odd-skipped in even parasegments during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2010;343:178-89 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal a novel role for the Nmo kinase in embryonic pattern formation through its regulation of the homeodomain-containing transcription factor Eve. ..
- Elphick J, Bergh K, Bailey H. Chronic toxicity of chloride to freshwater species: effects of hardness and implications for water quality guidelines. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2011;30:239-46 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that current water quality guidelines for chloride may be overly conservative in water with moderate-to-high hardness, and may not be sufficiently protective under soft-water conditions. ..
- Tam K, Watson C, Massah S, Kolybaba A, Breden F, Prefontaine G, et al. Regulatory function of conserved sequences upstream of the long-wave sensitive opsin genes in teleost fishes. Vision Res. 2011;51:2295-303 pubmed publisher..Therefore these upstream regions of LWS represent a model system for understanding the molecular basis of adaptive variation in gene regulation of color vision. ..
- Waliwitiya R, Nicholson R, Kennedy C, Lowenberger C. The synergistic effects of insecticidal essential oils and piperonyl butoxide on biotransformational enzyme activities in Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae). J Med Entomol. 2012;49:614-23 pubmed..This study indicates a synergistic interaction between essential oils and PBO in inhibiting the cytochrome P450 and GST detoxification enzymes in Ae. aegypti. ..
- Chen J, Verheyen E. Homeodomain-interacting protein kinase regulates Yorkie activity to promote tissue growth. Curr Biol. 2012;22:1582-6 pubmed publisher..Hipk phosphorylates Yki and in vivo analyses show that Hipk's regulation of Yki is kinase-dependent. To our knowledge, this is the first kinase identified to positively regulate Yki. ..
- Joy J. Symbiosis catalyses niche expansion and diversification. Proc Biol Sci. 2013;280:20122820 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the evolution of symbiotic interaction leads to niche expansion, which in turn catalyses diversification. ..
- Steimel A, Suh J, Hussainkhel A, Deheshi S, Grants J, Zapf R, et al. The C. elegans CDK8 Mediator module regulates axon guidance decisions in the ventral nerve cord and during dorsal axon navigation. Dev Biol. 2013;377:385-98 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the CDK8 module specifically represses the SAX-3/ROBO pathway to ensure proper commissure navigation...
- Ramser E, Gan K, Decker H, Fan E, Suzuki M, Ferreira S, et al. Amyloid-? oligomers induce tau-independent disruption of BDNF axonal transport via calcineurin activation in cultured hippocampal neurons. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:2494-505 pubmed publisher..We further show that A?Os induce CaN activation through nonexcitotoxic calcium signaling. Results implicate CaN in FAT regulation and demonstrate that tau is not required for A?O-induced BDNF transport disruption. ..
- Tang S, Panno J, McKeown B. Cloning and expression of the proteolipid protein DM20 cDNA from the brain of the rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1996;41:134-9 pubmed..Contrary to higher vertebrates, there is no switch to the PLP transcript in maturing trout. Moreover, the rsh mutation (186 Thr to Ile) that produces the rumpshaking neurological disorder in mice has no effect in trout. ..
- Clegg N, Honda B, Whitehead I, Grigliatti T, Wakimoto B, Brock H, et al. Suppressors of position-effect variegation in Drosophila melanogaster affect expression of the heterochromatic gene light in the absence of a chromosome rearrangement. Genome. 1998;41:495-503 pubmed..It may therefore be possible to use this more sensitive assay of Su(var) effects on heterochromatic genes to infer functional relationships among the products of the 50 or more known Su(var) loci. ..
- Duff C, Gries G, Mori K, Shirai Y, Seki M, Takikawa H, et al. Does pheromone biology of Lambdina athasaria and L. pellucidaria contribute to their reproductive isolation?. J Chem Ecol. 2001;27:431-42 pubmed..Finite taxonomic classification of PPL and SHL must await careful assessment of further criteria, such as morphometrics, molecular comparisons and ecological analyses. ..
- Lindholm A, Brooks R, Breden F. Extreme polymorphism in a Y-linked sexually selected trait. Heredity (Edinb). 2004;92:156-62 pubmed..Furthermore, Y-linkage of the colour polymorphism in P. parae supports the hypothesis that heterogametic sex chromosomes harbour sexually antagonistic traits beneficial to the heterogametic sex...
- Bradley B, Wagner J, Quarmby L. Identification and sequence analysis of six new members of the NIMA-related kinase family in Chlamydomonas. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2004;51:66-72 pubmed..Thus, the discovery that Chlamydomonas expresses a total of at least seven NIMA-related kinases is intriguing. Our analyses suggest that members of this family may play roles in the assembly and function of cilia. ..
- Conder R, Yu H, Ricos M, Hing H, Chia W, Lim L, et al. dPak is required for integrity of the leading edge cytoskeleton during Drosophila dorsal closure but does not signal through the JNK cascade. Dev Biol. 2004;276:378-90 pubmed..We conclude that dorsal closure requires Group I Pak function in both the amnioserosa and the epidermis. ..
- Judge A, Sood V, Shaw J, Fang D, McClintock K, MacLachlan I. Sequence-dependent stimulation of the mammalian innate immune response by synthetic siRNA. Nat Biotechnol. 2005;23:457-62 pubmed..We have identified putative immunostimulatory motifs that have allowed the design of siRNAs that can mediate RNAi but induce minimal immune activation. ..
- Shan X, Hu J, Cayabyab F, Krieger C. Increased phospho-adducin immunoreactivity in a murine model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neuroscience. 2005;134:833-46 pubmed
- Dods P, Birmingham E, Williams T, Ikonomou M, Bennie D, Elliott J. Reproductive success and contaminants in tree swallows (Tachycineta bicolor) breeding at a wastewater treatment plant. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2005;24:3106-12 pubmed
- Blacque O, Leroux M. Bardet-Biedl syndrome: an emerging pathomechanism of intracellular transport. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2006;63:2145-61 pubmed..From these discoveries, a common theme has emerged, namely that the primary function of BBS proteins may be to mediate and regulate microtubule-based intracellular transport processes. ..
- Salvante K, Walzem R, Williams T. What comes first, the zebra finch or the egg: temperature-dependent reproductive, physiological and behavioural plasticity in egg-laying zebra finches. J Exp Biol. 2007;210:1325-34 pubmed..Therefore, other temperature-dependent mechanisms must be involved in the physiological processes that regulate reproductive output of passerine birds at low ambient temperatures. ..
- Huang J, Hove Madsen L, Tibbits G. SR Ca2+ refilling upon depletion and SR Ca2+ uptake rates during development in rabbit ventricular myocytes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;293:C1906-15 pubmed..However, reverse-mode NCX plays a prominent role in SR Ca(2+) loading at early postnatal stages while I(Ca) is the main source of SR Ca(2+) loading at late postnatal and adult stages. ..
- On C, Marshall C, Chen N, Moyes C, Tibbits G. Gene structure evolution of the Na+-Ca2+ exchanger (NCX) family. BMC Evol Biol. 2008;8:127 pubmed publisher..Comparative studies on conserved vertebrate homologs have provided a possible evolutionary route taken by gene duplicates subfunctionalization by minimizing homolog number. ..
- Hallson G, Syrzycka M, Beck S, Kennison J, Dorsett D, Page S, et al. The Drosophila cohesin subunit Rad21 is a trithorax group (trxG) protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12405-10 pubmed publisher..e., like vtd, they act as dominant suppressors of Pc and hh(Mrt) without impairing cell division. Our results provide a framework to further investigate how cohesin and associated components might regulate transcription. ..
- Lee W, Swarup S, Chen J, Ishitani T, Verheyen E. Homeodomain-interacting protein kinases (Hipks) promote Wnt/Wg signaling through stabilization of beta-catenin/Arm and stimulation of target gene expression. Development. 2009;136:241-51 pubmed publisher..We observe similar molecular interactions between Lef1/beta-catenin and vertebrate Hipk2, suggesting a direct and conserved role for Hipk proteins in promoting Wnt signaling. ..
- Ydenberg R, Dekker D, Kaiser G, Shepherd P, Ogden L, Rickards K, et al. Winter body mass and over-ocean flocking as components of danger management by Pacific dunlins. BMC Ecol. 2010;10:1 pubmed publisher..We discuss reasons why over-ocean flocking has apparently become more common on the Fraser estuary than at other dunlin wintering sites. ..
- Hipfner J, Gorman K, Vos R, Joy J. Evolution of embryonic developmental period in the marine bird families Alcidae and Spheniscidae: roles for nutrition and predation?. BMC Evol Biol. 2010;10:179 pubmed publisher..We suggest that further comparative studies on lower taxonomic-level groups will continue to constructively inform the debate on evolutionary determinants of avian EDP, as well as other life history parameters. ..
- Simonot D, Farrell A. Coronary vascular volume remodelling in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. J Fish Biol. 2009;75:1762-72 pubmed publisher..These observations, in combination with previous studies, suggest that the vascularity of compact myocardium in O. mykiss can vary independently of Mrv. ..
- Lubieniecki K, Jones S, Davidson E, Park J, Koop B, Walker S, et al. Comparative genomic analysis of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, from Europe and North America. BMC Genet. 2010;11:105 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the first comparison of the genomic architecture of Atlantic salmon from North America and Europe with respect to chromosome organization. ..
- Inskip J, Ramer L, Ramer M, Krassioukov A, Claydon V. Spectral analyses of cardiovascular control in rodents with spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2012;29:1638-49 pubmed publisher..These parameters underscore the distinct cardiovascular ramifications of high- versus low-thoracic SCI, and correlate with the severity of AD and OH, clinically-relevant measures of abnormal blood pressure control. ..
- Tarailo Graovac M, Chen N. Proper cyclin B3 dosage is important for precision of metaphase-to-anaphase onset timing in Caenorhabditis elegans. G3 (Bethesda). 2012;2:865-71 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal that proper dosage of CYB-3 is important for precision of timely execution of anaphase onset regardless of the presence of the MDF-1 checkpoint component. ..
- Alava J, Ross P, Gobas F. Food Web Bioaccumulation Model for Resident Killer Whales from the Northeastern Pacific Ocean as a Tool for the Derivation of PBDE-Sediment Quality Guidelines. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2016;70:155-68 pubmed publisher..The food web bioaccumulation model may be a useful risk management tool in support of regulatory protection for killer whales. ..
- Hu X, Cheng S, Liu X, Li J, Zheng W, Lu G, et al. Development of monoclonal antibodies and immunochromatographic lateral flow device for rapid test of alanine aminotransferase isoenzyme 1. Protein Expr Purif. 2016;119:94-101 pubmed publisher..No cross reaction was found. The ALT1 LFD with high sensitivity and specificity was successfully developed. It is valuable for testing ALT1 protein in human sera and can be a beneficial complement for traditional ALT test. ..
- Trigueros Motos L, van Capelleveen J, Torta F, Castaño D, Zhang L, Chai E, et al. ABCA8 Regulates Cholesterol Efflux and High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Levels. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:2147-2155 pubmed publisher..ABCA8 facilitates cholesterol efflux and modulates HDLc levels in humans and mice. ..
- Price J, Savenye E, Lum D, Breitkreutz A. Dominant enhancers of Egfr in Drosophila melanogaster: genetic links between the Notch and Egfr signaling pathways. Genetics. 1997;147:1139-53 pubmed..Our findings suggest that these E(Egfr)s represent links between the Egfr and Notch signaling pathways, and that Egfr activity can either promote or suppress Notch signaling, depending on its developmental context. ..
- Gamperl A, Milsom W, Farrell A, Wang T. Cardiorespiratory responses of the toad (Bufo marinus) to hypoxia at two different temperatures. J Exp Biol. 1999;202:3647-58 pubmed..These findings are consistent with the general view that the cardiac right-to-left shunt is regulated and reduced whenever oxygen delivery is compromised or metabolic rate is increased...
- Challenger W, Williams T, Christians J, Vezina F. Follicular development and plasma yolk precursor dynamics through the laying cycle in the European starling (Sturnus vulgaris). Physiol Biochem Zool. 2001;74:356-65 pubmed
- Tran N, Proenza C, Macri V, Petigara F, Sloan E, Samler S, et al. A conserved domain in the NH2 terminus important for assembly and functional expression of pacemaker channels. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:43588-92 pubmed..Thus, we suggest that this conserved domain is the critical NH(2)-terminal determinant of subunit co-assembly and trafficking of pacemaker channels. ..