Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on signal transduction in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Topic: signal transduction
Publications150 found, 100 shown here
- Hirota S, Fines K, Ng J, Traboulsi D, Lee J, Ihara E, et al. Hypoxia-inducible factor signaling provides protection in Clostridium difficile-induced intestinal injury. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:259-69.e3 pubmed publisher..HIF-1alpha protects the intestinal mucosa from C difficile toxins. The innate protective actions of HIF-1alpha in response to C difficile toxins be developed as therapeutics for C difficile-associated disease. ..
- Proud D, Leigh R. Epithelial cells and airway diseases. Immunol Rev. 2011;242:186-204 pubmed publisher..Finally, the concept that the epithelium is a major target for the actions of a number of classes of inhaled medications is discussed, as are the potential mechanisms by which selected drugs may alter epithelial function. ..
- Lu F, Kar D, Gruenig N, Zhang Z, Cousins N, Rodgers H, et al. Rax is a selector gene for mediobasal hypothalamic cell types. J Neurosci. 2013;33:259-72 pubmed publisher..Rax thus provides a molecular entry point for further study of the ontology and establishment of hypothalamic feeding circuits. ..
- Gilham D, Wasiak S, Tsujikawa L, Halliday C, Norek K, Patel R, et al. RVX-208, a BET-inhibitor for treating atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, raises ApoA-I/HDL and represses pathways that contribute to cardiovascular disease. Atherosclerosis. 2016;247:48-57 pubmed publisher..Overall, data showed that RVX-208 raises ApoA-I/HDL and represses pro-inflammatory, pro-atherosclerotic and pro-thrombotic pathways that can contribute to CVD risk. ..
- Ciccarese C, Brunelli M, Montironi R, Fiorentino M, Iacovelli R, Heng D, et al. The prospect of precision therapy for renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Treat Rev. 2016;49:37-44 pubmed publisher..In this complex scenario it is important to find prognostic and predictive factors that can help in decision making in the treatment of mRCC. ..
- Hirasawa K, Jun H, Han H, Zhang M, Hollenberg M, Yoon J. Prevention of encephalomyocarditis virus-induced diabetes in mice by inhibition of the tyrosine kinase signalling pathway and subsequent suppression of nitric oxide production in macrophages. J Virol. 1999;73:8541-8 pubmed..We conclude that EMC-D virus-induced activation of macrophages resulting in macrophage-mediated beta-cell destruction can be prevented by the inhibition of a tyrosine kinase signalling pathway involved in macrophage activation. ..
- Piekny A, Mains P. Rho-binding kinase (LET-502) and myosin phosphatase (MEL-11) regulate cytokinesis in the early Caenorhabditis elegans embryo. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:2271-82 pubmed..Proteins including Rho GTPase activating protein/CYK-4 and late CYK-1, which are required for late stages of cytokinesis, function downstream of LET-502 and MEL-11. ..
- McFarlane S. Metalloproteases: carving out a role in axon guidance. Neuron. 2003;37:559-62 pubmed..Culture studies suggest that this requirement for metalloprotease activity results from their ability to cleave ligands, or their receptors, so as to activate or inhibit specific axon extension or guidance signaling pathways. ..
- Pelley J, Nicholls C, Beattie T, Brown C. Discovery and characterization of a novel splice variant of the GM-CSF receptor alpha subunit. Exp Hematol. 2007;35:1483-94 pubmed..Our results highlight the importance of soluble GMRalpha proteins in regulation of GM-CSF signaling. ..
- Gulbransen B, Bashashati M, Hirota S, Gui X, Roberts J, MacDonald J, et al. Activation of neuronal P2X7 receptor-pannexin-1 mediates death of enteric neurons during colitis. Nat Med. 2012;18:600-4 pubmed publisher..Targeting Panx1 represents a new neuroprotective strategy to ameliorate the progression of IBD-associated dysmotility. ..
- Chandhoke A, Chanda A, Karve K, Deng L, Bonni S. The PIAS3-Smurf2 sumoylation pathway suppresses breast cancer organoid invasiveness. Oncotarget. 2017;8:21001-21014 pubmed publisher..These findings lay the foundation for the development of novel biomarkers and targeted therapeutic approaches in breast cancer. ..
- Kurz E, Douglas P, Lees Miller S. Doxorubicin activates ATM-dependent phosphorylation of multiple downstream targets in part through the generation of reactive oxygen species. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:53272-81 pubmed
- Rose R, Hatano N, Ohya S, Imaizumi Y, Giles W. C-type natriuretic peptide activates a non-selective cation current in acutely isolated rat cardiac fibroblasts via natriuretic peptide C receptor-mediated signalling. J Physiol. 2007;580:255-74 pubmed..These data indicate that CNP, acting via the NPR-C receptor, activates a NSCC that is at least partially carried by TRPC channels in cardiac fibroblasts. ..
- Iremonger K, Bains J. Retrograde opioid signaling regulates glutamatergic transmission in the hypothalamus. J Neurosci. 2009;29:7349-58 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that neurons may self-regulate their excitability through the dendritic release of opioids to inhibit excitatory synaptic transmission. ..
- Yang A, Mucsi A, Desrosiers M, Chen J, Schnermann J, Blackburn M, et al. Adenosine mediated desensitization of cAMP signaling enhances T-cell responses. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:449-59 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that adenosine receptor desensitization may be a mechanism for T cells to escape the general suppression during early points of T-cell activation and may emerge as a potential alternative for vaccine adjuvants. ..
- Wissmann A, Ingles J, Mains P. The Caenorhabditis elegans mel-11 myosin phosphatase regulatory subunit affects tissue contraction in the somatic gonad and the embryonic epidermis and genetically interacts with the Rac signaling pathway. Dev Biol. 1999;209:111-27 pubmed..Since Rho has been implicated in promoting cellular contraction, our results support a mechanism by which epithelial morphogenesis is regulated by the counteracting activities of Rho and Rac. ..
- Natochin M, Campbell T, Barren B, Miller L, Hameed S, Artemyev N, et al. Characterization of the G alpha(s) regulator cysteine string protein. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30236-41 pubmed..Our results show that the guanine nucleotide exchange activity of full-length CSP is, in turn, regulated by Hsc70-SGT. ..
- McAvoy E, McDonald B, Parsons S, Wong C, Landmann R, Kubes P. The role of CD14 in neutrophil recruitment within the liver microcirculation during endotoxemia. J Immunol. 2011;186:2592-601 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the liver microcirculation possesses a unique CD14-independent mechanism of LPS detection and activation of neutrophil recruitment. ..
- O Hara J, Feener T, Fischer C, Buret A. Campylobacter jejuni disrupts protective Toll-like receptor 9 signaling in colonic epithelial cells and increases the severity of dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis in mice. Infect Immun. 2012;80:1563-71 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, infection by C. jejuni disrupts TLR9-induced reinforcement of the intestinal epithelial barrier, and colonization by C. jejuni increases the severity of mild DSS colitis...
- Kan M, Guo G, Singh B, Singh V, Zochodne D. Glucagon-like peptide 1, insulin, sensory neurons, and diabetic neuropathy. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2012;71:494-510 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that although GLP-1 agonists and insulin alone are insufficient to reverse all features of diabetic neuropathy, in combination, they might benefit some aspects of established diabetic neuropathy. ..
- Dansereau D, Lunke M, Finkielsztein A, Russell M, Brook W. Hephaestus encodes a polypyrimidine tract binding protein that regulates Notch signalling during wing development in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 2002;129:5553-66 pubmed..This is the first genetic analysis of polypyrimidine tract binding protein function in any organism and the first evidence that such proteins may be involved in the Notch signalling pathway. ..
- McGuire J, Hollenberg M, Bennett B, Triggle C. Hyperpolarization of murine small caliber mesenteric arteries by activation of endothelial proteinase-activated receptor 2. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2004;82:1103-12 pubmed..Indeed, this hyperpolarization may be a primary mechanism for PAR-2-induced hypotension in vivo. ..
- Simmons D, Cross J. Determinants of trophoblast lineage and cell subtype specification in the mouse placenta. Dev Biol. 2005;284:12-24 pubmed..Here, we review recent insights into the molecular pathways regulating trophoblast lineage segregation, stem cell maintenance, and subtype differentiation. ..
- Hocking J, Hehr C, Bertolesi G, Wu J, McFarlane S. Distinct roles for Robo2 in the regulation of axon and dendrite growth by retinal ganglion cells. Mech Dev. 2010;127:36-48 pubmed publisher..These data underscore the likelihood that a limited number of extrinsic factors regulate the distinct morphologies of axons and dendrites. ..
- Hollenberg M. Getting the message across: pathophysiology and signaling via receptors for polypeptide hormones and proteinases. Clin Invest Med. 2010;33:E133 pubmed..The therapeutic implications of considering PARs as drug targets are also discussed. ..
- Kubes P, Mehal W. Sterile inflammation in the liver. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:1158-1172 pubmed publisher..Identification of DAMPS, their receptors, signaling pathways, and cytokines now provides a wide range of therapeutic targets for which many antagonists are already available. ..
- Wang W, Wang X, Chun J, Vilaysane A, Clark S, French G, et al. Inflammasome-independent NLRP3 augments TGF-? signaling in kidney epithelium. J Immunol. 2013;190:1239-49 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data support a novel and direct role for NLRP3 in promoting TGF-? signaling and R-Smad activation in epithelial cells independent of the inflammasome. ..
- Inoue W, Baimoukhametova D, Fuzesi T, Wamsteeker Cusulin J, Koblinger K, Whelan P, et al. Noradrenaline is a stress-associated metaplastic signal at GABA synapses. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:605-12 pubmed publisher..Because these GABA synapses become excitatory following acute stress, this metaplasticity may contribute to neuroendocrine sensitization to stress. ..
- Refai O, Rohs P, Mains P, Gaudet J. Extension of the Caenorhabditis elegans Pharyngeal M1 neuron axon is regulated by multiple mechanisms. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:2015-29 pubmed publisher..One of these mutations appeared to affect the generation or differentiation of the M1 neuron. We conclude that M1 axon extension is a robust process that is not completely dependent on any single guidance mechanism. ..
- Szule J, Coorssen J. Revisiting the role of SNAREs in exocytosis and membrane fusion. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1641:121-35 pubmed..In all, the SNAREs are more likely to function upstream as modulators or priming factors of fusion. ..
- Goodarzi A, Jonnalagadda J, Douglas P, Young D, Ye R, Moorhead G, et al. Autophosphorylation of ataxia-telangiectasia mutated is regulated by protein phosphatase 2A. EMBO J. 2004;23:4451-61 pubmed..We propose that PP2A plays an important role in the regulation of ATM autophosphorylation and activity in vivo. ..
- Box A, Yuen C, Ponjevic D, Fick G, Demetrick D. Signaling and apoptosis differences between severe hypoxia and desferoxamine treatment of human epithelial cells. Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;86:425-36 pubmed publisher..Our data suggests a model in which regulated loss of active AKT at a precise time point in hypoxia may be associated with apoptosis in susceptible cells. ..
- Yang Y, Liu H, Nam S, Kunos G, Lee S. Mechanisms of TNFalpha-induced cardiac dysfunction in cholestatic bile duct-ligated mice: interaction between TNFalpha and endocannabinoids. J Hepatol. 2010;53:298-306 pubmed..TNFalpha also suppressed contractility by increasing oxidative stress and endocannabinoid activity. ..
- Huang Y, Deng T, Winston B. Characterization of hPRP4 kinase activation: potential role in signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;271:456-63 pubmed..These findings suggest that hPRP4, a CDK-like kinase related to MAPKs, may play a distinct role in signal transduction in addition to its role in mRNA processing. ..
- Awasthi Kalia M, Schnetkamp P, Deans J. Differential effects of filipin and methyl-beta-cyclodextrin on B cell receptor signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;287:77-82 pubmed..In addition, the enhanced calcium release observed under conditions of maximum raft disruption suggests that rafts have a role in negatively regulating BCR signals. ..
- Chojnacki A, Shimazaki T, Gregg C, Weinmaster G, Weiss S. Glycoprotein 130 signaling regulates Notch1 expression and activation in the self-renewal of mammalian forebrain neural stem cells. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1730-41 pubmed..This is the first example of a link between gp130 signaling and NOTCH1 in regulating NSC self-renewal. ..
- Norman K, Hirasawa K, Yang A, Shields M, Lee P. Reovirus oncolysis: the Ras/RalGEF/p38 pathway dictates host cell permissiveness to reovirus infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:11099-104 pubmed..We found that reovirus infection was blocked in the presence of the p38 inhibitor but not the JNK inhibitor. Together, these results implicate a Ras/RalGEF/p38 pathway in the regulation of reovirus replication and oncolysis. ..
- Chambers C, Lutter E, Visser M, Law P, Sokol P. Identification of potential CepR regulated genes using a cep box motif-based search of the Burkholderia cenocepacia genome. BMC Microbiol. 2006;6:104 pubmed..A bioinformatics approach was used to screen the B. cenocepacia J2315 genome for CepR binding site motifs...
- Reardon C, McKay D. TGF-beta suppresses IFN-gamma-STAT1-dependent gene transcription by enhancing STAT1-PIAS1 interactions in epithelia but not monocytes/macrophages. J Immunol. 2007;178:4284-95 pubmed
- Evans R, Scott R, Ross R. Chronic exposure of sensory neurones to increased levels of nerve growth factor modulates CB1/TRPV1 receptor crosstalk. Br J Pharmacol. 2007;152:404-13 pubmed..We conclude that cannabinoid-mediated modulation of TRPV1 receptor activation is altered after exposure to high NGF. ..
- Hocking J, Hehr C, Chang R, Johnston J, McFarlane S. TGFbeta ligands promote the initiation of retinal ganglion cell dendrites in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:247-60 pubmed..Furthermore, TGFbeta ligands have an endogenous role: blocking BMP/GDF signaling with a secreted antagonist or inhibitory receptors reduces the number of primary dendrites extended in vivo. ..
- Leguillette R, Lauzon A. Molecular mechanics of smooth muscle contractile proteins in airway hyperresponsiveness and asthma. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008;5:40-6 pubmed..Further considerations are given to the combination of these two factors with other components of the contractile machinery, thereby leading to the enhancement of airway SM function. ..
- Grewal S. Insulin/TOR signaling in growth and homeostasis: a view from the fly world. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2009;41:1006-10 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms identified in Drosophila likely operate in most metazoans, and are relevent to our understanding of diseases caused by aberrent insulin/TOR signaling such as cancer, diabetes and obesity. ..
- Liacini A, Seamone M, Muruve D, Tibbles L. Anti-BK virus mechanisms of sirolimus and leflunomide alone and in combination: toward a new therapy for BK virus infection. Transplantation. 2010;90:1450-7 pubmed publisher..Because both sirolimus and leflunomide possess immunosuppressive activity, combination therapy may reduce BK pathogenesis while maintaining appropriate transplant immunosuppression. ..
- Flach T, Ng G, Hari A, Desrosiers M, Zhang P, Ward S, et al. Alum interaction with dendritic cell membrane lipids is essential for its adjuvanticity. Nat Med. 2011;17:479-87 pubmed publisher..This study therefore suggests an unexpected mechanism for how this crystalline structure interacts with the immune system and how the DC plasma membrane may behave as a general sensor for solid structures...
- Ihara E, Chappellaz M, Turner S, MacDonald J. The contribution of protein kinase C and CPI-17 signaling pathways to hypercontractility in murine experimental colitis. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2012;24:e15-26 pubmed publisher..However, no effect of inflammation was observed on the relative contribution of PKC and CPI-17 toward the observed hypercontractility. ..
- Sharma N, Kumar R, Renaux B, Saifeddine M, Nishikawa S, Mihara K, et al. Implantation serine proteinase 1 exhibits mixed substrate specificity that silences signaling via proteinase-activated receptors. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27888 pubmed publisher..We observed that ISP1 silenced enzyme-triggered PAR signaling by receptor-disarming. This PAR-disarming action of ISP1 may be important for embryo development and implantation. ..
- Stechishin O, Luchman H, Ruan Y, Blough M, Nguyen S, Kelly J, et al. On-target JAK2/STAT3 inhibition slows disease progression in orthotopic xenografts of human glioblastoma brain tumor stem cells. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:198-207 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the in vitro and in vivo efficacy of on-target JAK2/STAT3 inhibition in heterogeneous BTSC lines that closely emulate the genomic and tumorigenic characteristics of human GBM. ..
- Hardy P, Chaconas G. The nucleotide excision repair system of Borrelia burgdorferi is the sole pathway involved in repair of DNA damage by UV light. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:2220-31 pubmed publisher..burgdorferi resistance to nitrosative damage. Finally, disruption of uvrA, uvrC, and uvrD had only a minor effect upon murine infection by increasing the time required for dissemination. ..
- Wamsteeker Cusulin J, Fuzesi T, Inoue W, Bains J. Glucocorticoid feedback uncovers retrograde opioid signaling at hypothalamic synapses. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:596-604 pubmed publisher..Together, our data provide new evidence for retrograde opioid signaling at synapses in neuroendocrine circuits and represent a potential mechanism underlying glucocorticoid contributions to stress adaptation. ..
- Schenck L, Schenck L, Hirota S, Hirota C, Boasquevisque P, Tulk S, et al. Attenuation of Clostridium difficile toxin-induced damage to epithelial barrier by ecto-5'-nucleotidase (CD73) and adenosine receptor signaling. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2013;25:e441-53 pubmed publisher..Herein, we sought to assess the potential protective effects of CD73 and AdoR signaling on the injurious effects of Cdf toxins...
- Cornick S, Moreau F, Chadee K. Entamoeba histolytica Cysteine Proteinase 5 Evokes Mucin Exocytosis from Colonic Goblet Cells via αvβ3 Integrin. PLoS Pathog. 2016;12:e1005579 pubmed publisher..This study has identified that EhCP5 coupling with goblet cell αvβ3 receptors can initiate a signal cascade involving PI3K, PKCδ and MARCKS to drive mucin secretion from goblet cells critical in disease pathogenesis. ..
- Sarker K, Lee K. L6 myoblast differentiation is modulated by Cdk5 via the PI3K-AKT-p70S6K signaling pathway. Oncogene. 2004;23:6064-70 pubmed
- Gregg C, Weiss S. CNTF/LIF/gp130 receptor complex signaling maintains a VZ precursor differentiation gradient in the developing ventral forebrain. Development. 2005;132:565-78 pubmed..These results demonstrate a novel region-specific role for CNTF/LIF/gp130 signaling in the development of the germinal layers of the embryonic telencephalon. ..
- Ihara E, Moffat L, Borman M, Amon J, Walsh M, MacDonald J. Ca2+-independent contraction of longitudinal ileal smooth muscle is potentiated by a zipper-interacting protein kinase pseudosubstrate peptide. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;297:G361-70 pubmed publisher..AV25 or molecules based on its structure could be used in therapeutic situations to induce contractility in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract associated with hypomotility. ..
- Belzil C, Neumayer G, Vassilev A, Yap K, Konishi H, Rivest S, et al. A Ca2+-dependent mechanism of neuronal survival mediated by the microtubule-associated protein p600. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:24452-64 pubmed publisher..A direct and atypical p600/calmodulin interaction is required for neuronal survival. Thus, p600 counteracts specific Ca(2+)-induced death pathways through regulation of Ca(2+) homeostasis and signaling. ..
- Shingo T, Gregg C, Enwere E, Fujikawa H, Hassam R, Geary C, et al. Pregnancy-stimulated neurogenesis in the adult female forebrain mediated by prolactin. Science. 2003;299:117-20 pubmed..Neurogenesis occurs even in females that mate with sterile males. These findings imply that forebrain olfactory neurogenesis may contribute to adaptive behaviors in mating and pregnancy. ..
- Miller L, Swayne L, Chen L, Feng Z, Wacker J, Muchowski P, et al. Cysteine string protein (CSP) inhibition of N-type calcium channels is blocked by mutant huntingtin. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:53072-81 pubmed..These results indicate that CSP's modulation of G protein inhibition of calcium channel activity is blocked in the presence of a huntingtin fragment with expanded polyglutamine tracts. ..
- Doering C, Kisilevsky A, Feng Z, Arnot M, Peloquin J, Hamid J, et al. A single Gbeta subunit locus controls cross-talk between protein kinase C and G protein regulation of N-type calcium channels. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:29709-17 pubmed..Overall, our results significantly advance our understanding of the molecular details underlying the integration of G protein and PKC signaling pathways at the level of the N-type calcium channel alpha(1) subunit. ..
- Tremaroli V, Fedi S, Tamburini S, Viti C, Tatti E, Ceri H, et al. A histidine-kinase cheA gene of Pseudomonas pseudoalcaligens KF707 not only has a key role in chemotaxis but also affects biofilm formation and cell metabolism. Biofouling. 2011;27:33-46 pubmed publisher..These results are interpreted as evidence of a strong integration between chemotactic and metabolic pathways in the process of biofilm development by P. pseudoalcaligenes KF707...
- Wamsteeker Cusulin J, Senst L, Teskey G, Bains J. Experience salience gates endocannabinoid signaling at hypothalamic synapses. J Neurosci. 2014;34:6177-81 pubmed publisher..Together these data demonstrate that experience salience, through alterations in afferent synaptic activity, induces rapid changes in endocannabinoid signaling. ..
- Peacock R, Andrushchenko V, Demcoe A, Gehmlich M, Lu L, Herrero A, et al. Characterization of TonB interactions with the FepA cork domain and FecA N-terminal signaling domain. Biometals. 2006;19:127-42 pubmed
- Christie K, Webber C, Martinez J, Singh B, Zochodne D. PTEN inhibition to facilitate intrinsic regenerative outgrowth of adult peripheral axons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9306-15 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings identify a novel route to propagate intrinsic regeneration pathways within axons to benefit nerve repair. ..
- Buresi M, Buret A, Hollenberg M, MacNaughton W. Activation of proteinase-activated receptor 1 stimulates epithelial chloride secretion through a unique MAP kinase- and cyclo-oxygenase-dependent pathway. FASEB J. 2002;16:1515-25 pubmed..These findings may be of clinical importance in inflammatory diseases of the intestine where secretory dysfunction is evident and thrombin levels are elevated. ..
- Workentine M, Chang L, Ceri H, Turner R. The GacS-GacA two-component regulatory system of Pseudomonas fluorescens: a bacterial two-hybrid analysis. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2009;292:50-6 pubmed publisher..In addition, homologs of Pseudomonas aeruginosa hybrid sensor kinases, RetS and LadS, were identified in P. fluorescens, and shown to interact with GacS, but not GacA. ..
- Wamsteeker J, Kuzmiski J, Bains J. Repeated stress impairs endocannabinoid signaling in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus. J Neurosci. 2010;30:11188-96 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a plausible mechanism for how stress can lead to alterations in CORT-mediated negative feedback and may contribute to the development of plasticity of HPA responses. ..
- Norman K, Lee P. Not all viruses are bad guys: the case for reovirus in cancer therapy. Drug Discov Today. 2005;10:847-55 pubmed..Reovirus is demonstrating much promise in pre-clinical studies of cancer therapy and in clinical trials, where a lack of toxicity and signs of efficacy are generating excitement for this novel potential cancer therapeutic. ..
- Klimowicz A, Bisson S, Hans K, Long E, Hansen H, Robbins S. The phytochemical piceatannol induces the loss of CBL and CBL-associated proteins. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009;8:602-14 pubmed publisher..This work uncovers a new, piceatannol-dependent effect and shows a novel way in which this phenomenon can be exploited to inhibit disease-associated signaling pathways. ..
- McGhee J. The Caenorhabditis elegans intestine. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Dev Biol. 2013;2:347-67 pubmed publisher..The mature intestine expresses several thousand genes, apparently all controlled, at least in part, by cis-acting GATA-type motifs. ..
- Chen J, Yin H, Jiang Y, Radhakrishnan S, Huang Z, Li J, et al. Induction of microRNA-1 by myocardin in smooth muscle cells inhibits cell proliferation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:368-75 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, neointimal lesions of mouse carotid arteries displayed downregulation of myocardin and miR-1 with upregulation of Pim-1. Our data demonstrate that miR-1 participates in myocardin-dependent of SMC proliferation inhibition. ..
- Rideout E, Marshall L, Grewal S. Drosophila RNA polymerase III repressor Maf1 controls body size and developmental timing by modulating tRNAiMet synthesis and systemic insulin signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:1139-44 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the stimulation of tRNA(i)(Met) synthesis via inhibition of dMaf1 is limiting for nutrition-dependent growth during development. ..
- Marshall S, McGhee J. Coordination of ges-1 expression between the Caenorhabditis pharynx and intestine. Dev Biol. 2001;239:350-63 pubmed..We suggest that this control circuitry is maintained in Caenorhabditis because pharyngeal expression of ges-1 is advantageous only under certain developmental or environmental conditions. ..
- Ling S, Sheng J, Braun A. The calcium-dependent activity of large-conductance, calcium-activated K+ channels is enhanced by Pyk2- and Hck-induced tyrosine phosphorylation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;287:C698-706 pubmed
- Chambers C, Visser M, Schwab U, Sokol P. Identification of N-acylhomoserine lactones in mucopurulent respiratory secretions from cystic fibrosis patients. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005;244:297-304 pubmed..OHL and N-decanoyl-l-homoserine lactone were detected in nanomolar concentrations compared to picomolar amounts of the 3-oxo-derivatives of the AHLs identified...
- Duan K, Sibley C, Davidson C, Surette M. Chemical interactions between organisms in microbial communities. Contrib Microbiol. 2009;16:1-17 pubmed publisher..In this chapter we review the current understanding of microbial communication, from the genetic and molecular aspects, to our current understanding of their ecological role. ..
- Li L, Edgar B, Grewal S. Nutritional control of gene expression in Drosophila larvae via TOR, Myc and a novel cis-regulatory element. BMC Cell Biol. 2010;11:7 pubmed publisher..These studies begin to elucidate a nutrient-responsive signaling network that controls metabolic gene transcription in Drosophila. ..
- Smyth D, Phan V, Wang A, McKay D. Interferon-?-induced increases in intestinal epithelial macromolecular permeability requires the Src kinase Fyn. Lab Invest. 2011;91:764-77 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the results suggest the formation of a Fyn-dependent STAT5b/Gab2/PI3K complex that links IFN? to PI3K signalling and the regulation of macromolecular permeability in a model enteric epithelium. ..
- Anders H, Muruve D. The inflammasomes in kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:1007-18 pubmed publisher..We further provide a perspective on the potential roles of the inflammasomes in the pathogenesis of acute and chronic kidney diseases. ..
- Proft J, Faraji J, Robbins J, Zucchi F, Zhao X, Metz G, et al. Identification of bilateral changes in TID1 expression in the 6-OHDA rat model of Parkinson's disease. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26045 pubmed publisher..In contrast, no changes were observed in CSP?, Hsp40, Hsp70, Hsc70 and PrP(C) levels and no activation of caspase3 was observed. This study links TID1 to PD and provides a new target for therapeutics that halts the PD progression. ..
- Perotti C, Karayazi O, Moffat S, Shemanko C. The bone morphogenetic protein receptor-1A pathway is required for lactogenic differentiation of mammary epithelial cells in vitro. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2012;48:377-84 pubmed publisher..This evidence functionally identifies BMPR1A as a potential new regulator of mammary epithelial alveolar cell differentiation. ..
- Goodarzi A, Jeggo P. The repair and signaling responses to DNA double-strand breaks. Adv Genet. 2013;82:1-45 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss the impact of defects in these processes to human disease. ..
- Jablonski C, FERGUSON S, Pozzi A, Clark A. Integrin ?1?1 participates in chondrocyte transduction of osmotic stress. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;445:184-90 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the mechanism by which integrin ?1?1 influences osmotransduction is independent of matrix binding, but likely dependent on the chondrocyte osmosensor TRPV4. ..