Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on saccharomyces cerevisiae in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Topic: saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Sherman E, Taylor R, Go N, Nargang F. Effect of mutations in Tom40 on stability of the translocase of the outer mitochondrial membrane (TOM) complex, assembly of Tom40, and import of mitochondrial preproteins. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:22554-65 pubmed publisher..This supports the idea that the TOM complex plays an active role in the transfer of preproteins to subsequent translocases for insertion into the correct mitochondrial subcompartment...
- Szeto S, Reinke S, Sykes B, Lemire B. Mutations in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae succinate dehydrogenase result in distinct metabolic phenotypes revealed through (1)H NMR-based metabolic footprinting. J Proteome Res. 2010;9:6729-39 pubmed publisher..Our study provides novel insight into the metabolic effects of SDH dysfunction and highlights the effectiveness of metabolic footprinting for examining complex disorders, such as mitochondrial diseases. ..
- Oyedotun K, Lemire B. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae succinate-ubiquinone reductase contains a stoichiometric amount of cytochrome b562. FEBS Lett. 1999;442:203-7 pubmed..92+/-0.11. The cytochrome is not detectable in mitochondria isolated from SDH3 and SDH4 deletion strains. These observations strongly support our conclusion that cytochrome b562 is a component of the yeast SDH. ..
- Silkin Y, Oyedotun K, Lemire B. The role of Sdh4p Tyr-89 in ubiquinone reduction by the Saccharomyces cerevisiae succinate dehydrogenase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1767:143-50 pubmed..Our results support a role for Tyr-89 in the protonation of ubiquinone and argue that the generation of reactive oxygen species is not causative of tumor formation. ..
- Cairo L, Ptak C, Wozniak R. Mitosis-specific regulation of nuclear transport by the spindle assembly checkpoint protein Mad1p. Mol Cell. 2013;49:109-20 pubmed publisher..We propose that a distinct branch of the SAC exists in which Mad1p senses unattached kinetochores and, by altering NPC transport activity, regulates the nuclear environment of the spindle. ..
- Andrin C, Pinkoski M, Burns K, Atkinson E, Krahenbuhl O, Hudig D, et al. Interaction between a Ca2+-binding protein calreticulin and perforin, a component of the cytotoxic T-cell granules. Biochemistry. 1998;37:10386-94 pubmed..Our results suggest that calreticulin may act as Ca2+-regulated chaperone for perforin. This action will serve to protect the CTL during biogenesis of granules and may also serve to regulate perforin lytic action after release. ..
- Ptak C, Anderson A, Scott R, Van de Vosse D, Rogers R, Sydorskyy Y, et al. A role for the karyopherin Kap123p in microtubule stability. Traffic. 2009;10:1619-34 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kap123p and Caj1p, a member of the Hsp40 family of proteins, together play an essential role in normal microtubule function. ..
- Knoblach B, Rachubinski R. Phosphorylation-dependent activation of peroxisome proliferator protein PEX11 controls peroxisome abundance. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:6670-80 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first evidence for control of peroxisome dynamics by phosphorylation-dependent regulation of a peroxin. ..
- Fagarasanu A, Fagarasanu M, Eitzen G, Aitchison J, Rachubinski R. The peroxisomal membrane protein Inp2p is the peroxisome-specific receptor for the myosin V motor Myo2p of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Dev Cell. 2006;10:587-600 pubmed..To our knowledge, Inp2p is the first peroxisomal protein implicated in the vectorial movement of peroxisomes. ..
- Knoblach B, Sun X, Coquelle N, Fagarasanu A, Poirier R, Rachubinski R. An ER-peroxisome tether exerts peroxisome population control in yeast. EMBO J. 2013;32:2439-53 pubmed publisher..Peroxisomes are thus stably maintained over generations of cells through their continued interaction with tethers. ..
- Fagarasanu M, Fagarasanu A, Tam Y, Aitchison J, Rachubinski R. Inp1p is a peroxisomal membrane protein required for peroxisome inheritance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:765-75 pubmed..Our findings are consistent with Inp1p acting as a factor that retains peroxisomes in cells and controls peroxisome division. Inp1p is the first peroxisomal protein directly implicated in peroxisome inheritance. ..
- Armstrong H, Wolmarans A, Mercier R, Mai B, LaPointe P. The co-chaperone Hch1 regulates Hsp90 function differently than its homologue Aha1 and confers sensitivity to yeast to the Hsp90 inhibitor NVP-AUY922. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49322 pubmed publisher..We further conclude that Hch1p plays a critical role in regulating Hsp90 inhibitor drug sensitivity in yeast. ..
- Mietkiewska E, Siloto R, Dewald J, Shah S, Brindley D, Weselake R. Lipins from plants are phosphatidate phosphatases that restore lipid synthesis in a pah1? mutant strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS J. 2011;278:764-75 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study provides evidence that Arabidopsis and B. napus PAHs restore lipid synthesis in yeast and that DXDXT is a functional enzymic motif within plant PAHs. ..
- Liu Q, Siloto R, Snyder C, Weselake R. Functional and topological analysis of yeast acyl-CoA:diacylglycerol acyltransferase 2, an endoplasmic reticulum enzyme essential for triacylglycerol biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13115-26 pubmed publisher..These results indicate some similarities to the topology model of murine DGAT2 but also reveal striking differences suggesting that the topological organization of DGAT2 is not ubiquitously conserved. ..
- Emmanuel D, Jafari A, Beauchemin K, Leedle J, Ametaj B. Feeding live cultures of Enterococcus faecium and Saccharomyces cerevisiae induces an inflammatory response in feedlot steers. J Anim Sci. 2007;85:233-9 pubmed..Further research is warranted to determine the mechanism(s) by which E. faecium and yeast stimulated production of acute phase proteins in feedlot steers. ..
- Lapetina D, Ptak C, Roesner U, Wozniak R. Yeast silencing factor Sir4 and a subset of nucleoporins form a complex distinct from nuclear pore complexes. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3145-3159 pubmed publisher..We propose that this Sir4-associated Nup complex is distinct from holo-NPCs and that it plays a role in subtelomeric chromatin organization and NE tethering. ..
- Ramaswamy V, Williams J, Robinson K, Sopko R, Schultz M. Global control of histone modification by the anaphase-promoting complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:9136-49 pubmed
- Schultz M, Hockman D, Harkness T, Garinther W, Altheim B. Chromatin assembly in a yeast whole-cell extract. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:9034-9 pubmed..These studies demonstrate the utility of this system for the combined biochemical and genetic analysis of chromatin assembly in yeast. ..
- Siloto R, Truksa M, He X, McKeon T, Weselake R. Simple methods to detect triacylglycerol biosynthesis in a yeast-based recombinant system. Lipids. 2009;44:963-73 pubmed publisher..The methods can be used for a variety of applications such as isolation of novel genes, directed evolution, gene-specific drug screening and will facilitate novel approaches in the research of TAG-SE. ..
- Hogue D, Ellison M, Young J, Cass C. Identification of a novel membrane transporter associated with intracellular membranes by phenotypic complementation in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:9801-8 pubmed..MTP may function in the transport of nucleosides and/or nucleoside derivatives between the cytosol and the lumen of an intracellular membrane-bound compartment. ..
- Lancaster D, Dobson C, Rachubinski R. Chaperone proteins select and maintain [PIN+] prion conformations in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:1266-76 pubmed publisher..Together, our results demonstrate a role for chaperones in regulating the prion variant complement of a cell. ..
- Doepker R, Hsu W, Saffran H, Smiley J. Herpes simplex virus virion host shutoff protein is stimulated by translation initiation factors eIF4B and eIF4H. J Virol. 2004;78:4684-99 pubmed..These data indicate that eIF4B and 4H stimulate the nuclease activity of vhs, and they provide evidence that additional mammalian factors are required for targeting to the EMCV IRES. ..
- Lin L, Minard L, Johnston G, Singer R, Schultz M. Asf1 can promote trimethylation of H3 K36 by Set2. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1116-29 pubmed publisher..This function of Asf1 promotes the switch from di- to trimethylation of H3 K36 at that gene. These results support the view that Set2 function in chromatin metabolism can intimately involve histone chaperone Asf1. ..
- Chen G, Greer M, Lager I, Yilmaz J, Mietkiewska E, Carlsson A, et al. Identification and characterization of an LCAT-like Arabidopsis thaliana gene encoding a novel phospholipase A. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:373-7 pubmed publisher..The expression of AtLCAT-PLA inhibited yeast cell growth and fatty acid accumulation. AtLCAT-PLA transcript in Arabidopsis was detected at high levels in roots and siliques. ..
- Marelli M, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. Specific binding of the karyopherin Kap121p to a subunit of the nuclear pore complex containing Nup53p, Nup59p, and Nup170p. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1813-30 pubmed..Interestingly, Nup53p is specifically phosphorylated during mitosis. This phenomenon is correlated with a transient decrease in perinuclear-associated Kap121p. ..
- Dibrov E, Fu S, Lemire B. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae TCM62 gene encodes a chaperone necessary for the assembly of the mitochondrial succinate dehydrogenase (complex II). J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32042-8 pubmed..Tcm62p forms a complex containing at least three SDH subunits. We propose that Tcm62p functions as a chaperone in the assembly of yeast SDH. ..
- Siloto R, Truksa M, Brownfield D, Good A, Weselake R. Directed evolution of acyl-CoA:diacylglycerol acyltransferase: development and characterization of Brassica napus DGAT1 mutagenized libraries. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2009;47:456-61 pubmed publisher..The directed evolution approach could lead to the development of an improved plant DGAT1 for increasing seed oil content in oleaginous crops. ..
- Footz T, Johnson J, Dubois S, Boivin N, Raymond V, Walter M. Glaucoma-associated WDR36 variants encode functional defects in a yeast model system. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:1276-87 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that, in the correct genetic background, WDR36 sequence variants can lead to an altered cellular phenotype, supporting the theory that WDR36 participates in polygenic forms of glaucoma...
- Footz T, Dubois S, Sarfarazi M, Raymond V, Walter M. Co-variation of STI1 and WDR36/UTP21 alters cell proliferation in a glaucoma model. Mol Vis. 2011;17:1957-69 pubmed
- Robinson K, von Kieckebusch Gück A, Lemire B. Isolation and characterization of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae mutant disrupted for the succinate dehydrogenase flavoprotein subunit. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:21347-50 pubmed..Disruption of the flavoprotein subunit gene results in the simultaneous loss of both the iron-sulfur and the flavoprotein subunits from mitochondrial membranes. ..
- Tcheperegine S, Marelli M, Wozniak R. Topology and functional domains of the yeast pore membrane protein Pom152p. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:5252-8 pubmed..Furthermore, mutations in NUP188 were rescued only by full-length Pom152p, suggesting that the lumenal structures play an important role in the function of pore-side NPC structures. ..
- Huang T, Barclay B, Kalman T, von Borstel R, Hastings P. The phenotype of a dihydrofolate reductase mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene. 1992;121:167-71 pubmed..When crossed into dfr1 strains, the DIR mutation conferred respiratory competence. These strains should be useful in a variety of studies on the genetics and biochemistry of folate metabolism in this simple eukaryote. ..
- Iouk T, Aitchison J, Maguire S, Wozniak R. Rrb1p, a yeast nuclear WD-repeat protein involved in the regulation of ribosome biosynthesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1260-71 pubmed..In contrast, depletion of RRB1 caused an increase in the expression of all RP genes examined except RPL3. These results suggest that Rrb1p regulates RPL3 expression and uncouples it from the coordinated expression of other RP genes. ..
- Garinther W, Schultz M. Topoisomerase function during replication-independent chromatin assembly in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:3520-6 pubmed..We conclude that both topoisomerases I and II can provide the DNA relaxation activity required for efficient chromatin assembly in mitotically cycling yeast cells. ..
- Feng J, Lucchinetti E, Enkavi G, Wang Y, Gehrig P, Roschitzki B, et al. Tyrosine phosphorylation by Src within the cavity of the adenine nucleotide translocase 1 regulates ADP/ATP exchange in mitochondria. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;298:C740-8 pubmed publisher..Since "aromatic signatures" are typical for other mitochondrial carrier proteins with important biological functions, our results may be more general and applicable to these carriers. ..
- Hsi G, Cullen L, Macintyre G, Chen M, Glerum D, Cox D. Sequence variation in the ATP-binding domain of the Wilson disease transporter, ATP7B, affects copper transport in a yeast model system. Hum Mutat. 2008;29:491-501 pubmed publisher..Functional assessment is critical for reliable use of mutation analysis as an aid to diagnosis of this clinically variable condition. ..
- Tedrick K, Trischuk T, Lehner R, Eitzen G. Enhanced membrane fusion in sterol-enriched vacuoles bypasses the Vrp1p requirement. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4609-21 pubmed..Therefore, the Vrp1p/Las17p requirement for membrane fusion is bypassed by increased sterols, which promotes actin remodeling as part the membrane fusion mechanism. ..
- Makhnevych T, Ptak C, Lusk C, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. The role of karyopherins in the regulated sumoylation of septins. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:39-49 pubmed..We present a model in which Ulp1p is maintained at the NPC during interphase and transiently interacts with the septin ring during mitosis. ..
- Nguyen V, Clelland B, Hockman D, Kujat Choy S, Mewhort H, Schultz M. Replication stress checkpoint signaling controls tRNA gene transcription. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:976-81 pubmed publisher..We propose that checkpoint control of the fork-pausing activity of tRNA genes complements the repertoire of replisome-targeted mechanisms by which checkpoint proteins promote faithful DNA replication. ..
- Vickers M, Kumar R, Visser F, Zhang J, Charania J, Raborn R, et al. Comparison of the interaction of uridine, cytidine, and other pyrimidine nucleoside analogues with recombinant human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 2 (hENT2) produced in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem Cell Biol. 2002;80:639-44 pubmed..hENT2 displayed a lower ability, compared with hENT1, to interact with cytidine and cytidine analogues, suggesting a low tolerance for the presence of the amino group at the 4 position of the base. ..
- Sopko R, Raithatha S, Stuart D. Phosphorylation and maximal activity of Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiosis-specific transcription factor Ndt80 is dependent on Ime2. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7024-40 pubmed..These data indicate that Ime2 plays a novel and previously unexpected role in promoting chromosome dissemination and progress through meiotic development by activating Ndt80. ..
- Vickers M, Young J, Baldwin S, Ellison M, Cass C. Functional production of mammalian concentrative nucleoside transporters in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Membr Biol. 2001;18:73-9 pubmed..This work represents the development of a new model system for the functional production of recombinant nucleoside transporters of the CNT family of membrane proteins. ..
- Zhang J, Tackaberry T, Ritzel M, Raborn T, Barron G, Baldwin S, et al. Cysteine-accessibility analysis of transmembrane domains 11-13 of human concentrative nucleoside transporter 3. Biochem J. 2006;394:389-98 pubmed
- Van de Vosse D, Wan Y, Lapetina D, Chen W, Chiang J, Aitchison J, et al. A role for the nucleoporin Nup170p in chromatin structure and gene silencing. Cell. 2013;152:969-83 pubmed publisher..Our results establish the NPC as an active participant in silencing and the formation of peripheral heterochromatin. ..
- Clarke M, Damaraju V, Zhang J, Mowles D, Tackaberry T, Lang T, et al. The role of human nucleoside transporters in cellular uptake of 4'-thio-beta-D-arabinofuranosylcytosine and beta-D-arabinosylcytosine. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:303-10 pubmed..These results demonstrated that nucleoside transport capacity (primarily via hENT1, to a lesser extent by hENT2 and possibly by hCNT1) is a determinant of pharmacological activity of both drugs. ..
- Dibrov E, Robinson K, Lemire B. The COQ5 gene encodes a yeast mitochondrial protein necessary for ubiquinone biosynthesis and the assembly of the respiratory chain. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:9175-81 pubmed..We conclude that the COQ5 gene encodes the mitochondria-localized 2-hexaprenyl-6-methoxy-1,4-benzoquinone methyltransferase of the yeast ubiquinone biosynthetic pathway. ..
- Acharya M, Sharp M, Mirzayans F, Footz T, Huang L, Birdi C, et al. Yeast two-hybrid analysis of a human trabecular meshwork cDNA library identified EFEMP2 as a novel PITX2 interacting protein. Mol Vis. 2012;18:2182-9 pubmed..This resource could be used both for discovery and validation of interactomes identified from in silico analysis. ..
- Ptak C, Gwozd C, Huzil J, Gwozd T, Garen G, Ellison M. Creation of a pluripotent ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6537-48 pubmed..The pluripotent RAD6 derivative, coupled with sequence, structural, and phylogenetic data, suggests that E2s have diverged from a common multifunctional progenitor. ..
- Leung G, Brown J, Glover J, Kobor M. Rtt107 BRCT domains act as a targeting module in the DNA damage response. DNA Repair (Amst). 2016;37:22-32 pubmed publisher..Together this data revealed a key function of the Rtt107 BRCT domains for targeting of both itself and its interaction partners to DNA lesions. ..
- Vizeacoumar F, Vreden W, Aitchison J, Rachubinski R. Pex19p binds Pex30p and Pex32p at regions required for their peroxisomal localization but separate from their peroxisomal targeting signals. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14805-12 pubmed
- Sopko R, Stuart D. Purification and characterization of the DNA binding domain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiosis-specific transcription factor Ndt80. Protein Expr Purif. 2004;33:134-44 pubmed
- Lusk C, Waller D, Makhnevych T, Dienemann A, Whiteway M, Thomas D, et al. Nup53p is a target of two mitotic kinases, Cdk1p and Hrr25p. Traffic. 2007;8:647-60 pubmed..The ability of nup53 alleles containing Cdk1p site mutations to complement synthetic defects of nup53 Delta nup170 Delta strains is linked to a function for Nup53p in the spindle assembly checkpoint. ..
- Lin L, Schultz M. Promoter regulation by distinct mechanisms of functional interplay between lysine acetylase Rtt109 and histone chaperone Asf1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:19599-604 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results show that ARG1 transcription intensity at its induced and repressed set points is controlled by different mechanisms of functional interplay between Rtt109 and Asf1. ..
- Isgandarova S, Jones L, Forsberg D, Loncar A, Dawson J, Tedrick K, et al. Stimulation of actin polymerization by vacuoles via Cdc42p-dependent signaling. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30466-75 pubmed..Our results suggest that actin polymerization is a subreaction of vacuole membrane fusion governed by Cdc42p signal transduction. ..
- Oyedotun K, Sit C, Lemire B. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae succinate dehydrogenase does not require heme for ubiquinone reduction. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1767:1436-45 pubmed..Our results strongly suggest that heme is not required for electron transport from succinate to quinone nor is it necessary for assembly of the S. cerevisiae SDH. ..
- Mansour S, Skaug J, Zhao X, Giordano J, Scherer S, Melancon P. p200 ARF-GEP1: a Golgi-localized guanine nucleotide exchange protein whose Sec7 domain is targeted by the drug brefeldin A. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7968-73 pubmed..p200 mapped to chromosome 8q13, 3.56 centirays from WI-6151, and database searches revealed the presence of putative isoforms whose inhibition may account for the effects of BFA on various organelles. ..