Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Publications412 found, 100 shown here
- Ramji Q, Bayrack K, Arefanian H, Marcet Palacios M, Bleackley R, Rajotte R, et al. Protection of porcine islet xenografts in mice using sertoli cells and monoclonal antibodies. Transplantation. 2011;92:1309-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, in this study, we sought to determine whether cotransplantation of NPI with Sertoli cells (SC) combined with a short-course treatment of monoclonal antibody (mAb) could provide long-term islet xenograft survival...
- Stanley J, Andersson I, Poudel R, Rueda Clausen C, Sibley C, Davidge S, et al. Sildenafil citrate rescues fetal growth in the catechol-O-methyl transferase knockout mouse model. Hypertension. 2012;59:1021-8 pubmed publisher..The data presented here demonstrate that Sildenafil can rescue pup growth and improve abnormal umbilical Doppler waveforms, providing support for a potential new therapeutic strategy targeting fetal growth restriction...
- PrabhuDas M, Baldwin C, Bollyky P, Bowdish D, Drickamer K, Febbraio M, et al. A Consensus Definitive Classification of Scavenger Receptors and Their Roles in Health and Disease. J Immunol. 2017;198:3775-3789 pubmed publisher..The following manuscript is a consensus statement that combines the recommendations of the initial workshop and incorporates the input received from the participants at the three national meetings. ..
- Campbell M, Nation P, Andrew S. A lack of DNA mismatch repair on an athymic murine background predisposes to hematologic malignancy. Cancer Res. 2005;65:2626-35 pubmed..Thus, mismatch repair-deficient mice may prove to be a good model to study human hematologic malignancy. ..
- Wei E, Gao W, Lehner R. Attenuation of adipocyte triacylglycerol hydrolase activity decreases basal fatty acid efflux. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8027-35 pubmed..These data suggest that TGH plays a role in adipose tissue triacylglycerol metabolism and may be a suitable pharmacological target for lowering fatty acid efflux from adipose tissue without altering glucose import. ..
- Liu J, Davis E, Wine E, Lou Y, Rudzinski J, Alipour M, et al. Epithelial cell extrusion leads to breaches in the intestinal epithelium. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013;19:912-21 pubmed publisher..IEC extrusion mediated by caspase-1 activation contributes to altered intestinal permeability in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Branch D, Turner A, Guilbert L. Synergistic stimulation of macrophage proliferation by the monokines tumor necrosis factor-alpha and colony-stimulating factor 1. Blood. 1989;73:307-11 pubmed..These observations suggest an autocrine rule for TNF that involves synergy with (and perhaps obligatory cooperation with) CSF-1 in the regulation of macrophage proliferation. ..
- Silver E, Gong D, Hazes B, Kane K. Ly-49W, an activating receptor of nonobese diabetic mice with close homology to the inhibitory receptor Ly-49G, recognizes H-2D(k) and H-2D(d). J Immunol. 2001;166:2333-41 pubmed..Ly-49W is the first activating Ly-49 receptor demonstrated to recognize an H-2(k) class I product. Ly-49G and Ly-49W represent a new pair of NK receptors with very similar ligand-binding domains, but opposite signaling functions. ..
- Kulinski A, Vance D, Vance J. A choline-deficient diet in mice inhibits neither the CDP-choline pathway for phosphatidylcholine synthesis in hepatocytes nor apolipoprotein B secretion. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23916-24 pubmed..Moreover, the amount and m activity of the cytidylyltransferase and methyltransferase were increased. The reduction in plasma apoB in mice deprived of dietary choline cannot, therefore, be attributed to decreased apoB secretion...
- Young J, Isiegas C, Abel T, Nguyen P. Metaplasticity of the late-phase of long-term potentiation: a critical role for protein kinase A in synaptic tagging. Eur J Neurosci. 2006;23:1784-94 pubmed..PKA-mediated signaling can be constrained by prior episodes of synaptic activity to regulate subsequent L-LTP expression and perhaps control the integration of multiple synaptic events over time. ..
- Chow R, Olesen J, Onyskiw C, Baksh S. Mitotic regulation of CDK4 by the serine/threonine phosphatase, calcineurin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;363:506-12 pubmed..Our data suggest that calcineurin may regulate the kinase activity of CDK4 in a cell cycle-dependent manner and may be an important component of the negative regulation of CDK4. ..
- Slupsky C, Cheypesh A, Chao D, Fu H, Rankin K, Marrie T, et al. Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia induce distinct metabolic responses. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:3029-36 pubmed publisher..These results underline the potential of metabolomics as a tool for diagnosis, health monitoring, and drug development, and show its usefulness for understanding microbial-host interactions...
- Vig R, Gordon J, Thebaud B, Befus A, Vliagoftis H. The effect of early-life stress on airway inflammation in adult mice. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2010;17:229-39 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the effect of early-life psychological factors on the development of airway inflammatory diseases such as asthma is very complex and depends on the quality of the psychological stress stimulus. ..
- Bush J, Wevrick R. Loss of Necdin impairs myosin activation and delays cell polarization. Genesis. 2010;48:540-53 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this is the first demonstration of a cellular defect in PWS and suggests a novel molecular mechanism to explain neurological and muscular pathophysiologies in PWS. ..
- Jung J, Michalak M. Cell surface targeting of myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG) in the absence of endoplasmic reticulum molecular chaperones. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1813:1105-10 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we show that cell surface targeting of MOG is not disrupted in the absence of the endoplasmic reticulum chaperones. This article is part of a special issue entitled: 11th European Symposium on Calcium. ..
- Rievaj J, Davidson C, Nadeem A, Hollenberg M, Duszyk M, Vliagoftis H. Allergic sensitization enhances anion current responsiveness of murine trachea to PAR-2 activation. Pflugers Arch. 2012;463:497-509 pubmed publisher..This could be a protective mechanism aimed at clearing allergens and defending against mucus plugging. ..
- Iwashkiw J, Fentabil M, Faridmoayer A, Mills D, Peppler M, Czibener C, et al. Exploiting the Campylobacter jejuni protein glycosylation system for glycoengineering vaccines and diagnostic tools directed against brucellosis. Microb Cell Fact. 2012;11:13 pubmed publisher..Bacterial engineered glycoproteins show promising applications for the development on an array of diagnostics and immunoprotective opportunities in the future. ..
- Gu H, Li G, Gao X, Berthiaume L, Zhang D. Characterization of palmitoylation of ATP binding cassette transporter G1: effect on protein trafficking and function. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1831:1067-78 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our data suggest that palmitoylation plays a critical role in ABCG1-mediated cholesterol efflux through the regulation of trafficking...
- Aljuhani N, Michail K, Karapetyan Z, Siraki A. The effect of bicarbonate on menadione-induced redox cycling and cytotoxicity: potential involvement of the carbonate radical. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013;91:783-90 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the importance of NaHCO3 in menadione redox cycling and cytotoxicity. ..
- Burns K, Duggan B, Atkinson E, Famulski K, Nemer M, Bleackley R, et al. Modulation of gene expression by calreticulin binding to the glucocorticoid receptor. Nature. 1994;367:476-80 pubmed..Together these results indicate that calreticulin may be important in gene transcription, regulating the glucocorticoid receptor and perhaps other members of the super-family of nuclear receptors. ..
- Ritzel M, Ng A, Yao S, Graham K, Loewen S, Smith K, et al. Molecular identification and characterization of novel human and mouse concentrative Na+-nucleoside cotransporter proteins (hCNT3 and mCNT3) broadly selective for purine and pyrimidine nucleosides (system cib). J Biol Chem. 2001;276:2914-27 pubmed..The hCNT3 gene mapped to chromosome 9q22.2 and included an upstream phorbol myristate acetate response element. ..
- Kulinski A, Rustaeus S, Vance J. Microsomal triacylglycerol transfer protein is required for lumenal accretion of triacylglycerol not associated with ApoB, as well as for ApoB lipidation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:31516-25 pubmed
- Lagali P, Liu J, Ambasudhan R, Kakuk L, Bernstein S, Seigel G, et al. Evolutionarily conserved ELOVL4 gene expression in the vertebrate retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:2841-50 pubmed..The ELOVL4 gene is highly conserved throughout evolution and is expressed in the photoreceptor cells of the retina in a variety of different species, which suggests that it plays a critical role in retinal cell biology. ..
- Russell J, Proctor S, Kelly S, Lohn M, Busch A, Schafer S. Insulin-sensitizing and cardiovascular effects of the sodium-hydrogen exchange inhibitor, cariporide, in the JCR: LA-cp rat and db/db mouse. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2005;46:746-53 pubmed..It also improved vascular function in a similar mouse model of insulin resistance. These effects were markedly greater than those of ramipril. ..
- Ewaschuk J, Backer J, Churchill T, Obermeier F, Krause D, Madsen K. Surface expression of Toll-like receptor 9 is upregulated on intestinal epithelial cells in response to pathogenic bacterial DNA. Infect Immun. 2007;75:2572-9 pubmed
- Wang J, Jiao H, Stewart T, Shankowsky H, Scott P, Tredget E. Increased severity of bleomycin-induced skin fibrosis in mice with leukocyte-specific protein 1 deficiency. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:2767-76 pubmed publisher..The most likely mechanism for this effect seems to be through an increase in leukocyte infiltration, leading to locally elevated synthesis and the release of chemokines and growth factors. ..
- Mason A, Zhang G. Linking human beta retrovirus infection with primary biliary cirrhosis. Gastroenterol Clin Biol. 2010;34:359-66 pubmed publisher..c3c4 mice demonstrate significant improvement in biliary disease with combination antiviral therapy. An overview of the biological relevance of the beta retrovirus infection in PBC will be discussed in this review. ..
- Bush J, Wevrick R. Loss of the Prader-Willi obesity syndrome protein necdin promotes adipogenesis. Gene. 2012;497:45-51 pubmed publisher..We now directly demonstrate a role for necdin in inhibiting adipogenesis using cells derived from necdin deficient mice. ..
- Vance D. Physiological roles of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1831:626-32 pubmed publisher..Humans with a Val-to-Met substitution in PEMT at residue 175 may have increased susceptibility to nonalcoholic liver disease. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Phospholipids and Phospholipid Metabolism. ..
- Golec D, Dower N, Stone J, Baldwin T. RasGRP1, but not RasGRP3, is required for efficient thymic ?-selection and ERK activation downstream of CXCR4. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53300 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that RasGRP1 is an important regulator of proliferation and differentiation at the ?-selection checkpoint and functions downstream of CXCR4 to activate the Ras/MAPK pathway. ..
- Herbst A, Widjaja K, Nguy B, Lushaj E, Moore T, Hevener A, et al. Digital PCR Quantitation of Muscle Mitochondrial DNA: Age, Fiber Type, and Mutation-Induced Changes. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:1327-1333 pubmed publisher..These data clarify the temporal accumulation of mtDNA deletions that lead to electron chain-deficient fibers, a process culminating in muscle fiber loss...
- Knee R, Ahsan I, Mesaeli N, Kaufman R, Michalak M. Compromised calnexin function in calreticulin-deficient cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;304:661-6 pubmed..We show that the absence of calreticulin can have devastating effects on the function of the others, compromising overall quality control of the secretory pathway and activating UPR-dependent pathways. ..
- Akay T, Fouad K, Pearson K. New technique for drug application to the spinal cord of walking mice. J Neurosci Methods. 2008;171:39-47 pubmed publisher..Combining this method with kinematic and electromyographic recording techniques allows the detailed investigation of the effects of drugs on the walking behavior in adult mice. ..
- Odenbach J, Wang X, Cooper S, Chow F, Oka T, Lopaschuk G, et al. MMP-2 mediates angiotensin II-induced hypertension under the transcriptional control of MMP-7 and TACE. Hypertension. 2011;57:123-30 pubmed publisher..This suggests a functional specialization of MMP-2 in agonist-induced cardiovascular disease development that has potential implications for the design of metalloproteinase-based therapeutic strategies. ..
- Hajireza P, Shi W, Zemp R. Real-time handheld optical-resolution photoacoustic microscopy. Opt Express. 2011;19:20097-102 pubmed publisher..The compact, flexible nature of the proposed design and the small footprint of the apparatus increase the usability of OR-PAM for potential clinical applications such as in dermatology. ..
- Yeh L, Banerjee A, Prasad V, Tuszynski J, Weis A, Bakos T, et al. Effect of CH-35, a novel anti-tumor colchicine analogue, on breast cancer cells overexpressing the Î²III isotype of tubulin. Invest New Drugs. 2016;34:129-37 pubmed publisher..Although the Î²III-over-expressing cells developed into very fast-growing tumors, CH-35 was more effective against this tumor than was Taxol. Our results suggest that CH-35 is a promising candidate for future drug development. ..
- Garg G, Pande M, Agrawal A, Li J, Kumar R. Investigation of 4-amino-5-alkynylpyrimidine-2(1H)-ones as anti-mycobacterial agents. Bioorg Med Chem. 2016;24:1771-7 pubmed publisher..Importantly, compounds 3 and 7 interacted synergistically with the front-line anti-tuberculosis drug isoniazid in vitro and in vivo. These results suggest that this class of compounds has strong anti-mycobacterial potential. ..
- Darmon A, Ehrman N, Caputo A, Fujinaga J, Bleackley R. The cytotoxic T cell proteinase granzyme B does not activate interleukin-1 beta-converting enzyme. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:32043-6 pubmed..Using lysates from COS cells expressing granzyme B we show that ICE precursor is not a substrate for granzyme B and propose an alternate mechanism for CTL-mediated cytotoxicity. ..
- Nakamura K, Zuppini A, Arnaudeau S, Lynch J, Ahsan I, Krause R, et al. Functional specialization of calreticulin domains. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:961-72 pubmed..We concluded that the C domain of calreticulin plays a role in Ca2+ storage and that the N domain may participate in its chaperone functions. ..
- Renaud Young M, Gallin W. In the first extracellular domain of E-cadherin, heterophilic interactions, but not the conserved His-Ala-Val motif, are required for adhesion. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:39609-16 pubmed
- Kobayashi T, Harb G, Rayat G. Prolonged survival of microencapsulated neonatal porcine islets in mice treated with a combination of anti-CD154 and anti-LFA-1 monoclonal antibodies. Transplantation. 2005;80:821-7 pubmed..These data demonstrate that short-term administration of anti-CD154 and anti-LFA-1 monoclonal antibodies can be effective in promoting long-term survival of microencapsulated NPI in immune-competent mice. ..
- Kodam A, Maulik M, Peake K, Amritraj A, Vetrivel K, Thinakaran G, et al. Altered levels and distribution of amyloid precursor protein and its processing enzymes in Niemann-Pick type C1-deficient mouse brains. Glia. 2010;58:1267-81 pubmed publisher..These results, taken together, suggest that increased level and processing of APP may be associated with the development of pathology and/or degenerative events observed in Npc1(-/-) mouse brains. ..
- Lacy P, Willetts L, Kim J, Lo A, Lam B, Maclean E, et al. Agonist activation of f-actin-mediated eosinophil shape change and mediator release is dependent on Rac2. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2011;156:137-47 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Rho guanosine triphosphatases are key regulators of cellular inflammation in allergy and asthma. ..
- Zhou G, Juang S, Kane K. NK cells exacerbate the pathology of influenza virus infection in mice. Eur J Immunol. 2013;43:929-38 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that during severe influenza infection of the lung, NK cells have a deleterious impact on the host, promoting mortality. ..
- Dagnino L, Bennett L, Paterson A. Sodium-dependent nucleoside transport in mouse leukemia L1210 cells. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:6308-11 pubmed..Substitution of extracellular Cl- by SO4(-2) or SCN- had no effect on the concentrative influx of adenosine. ..
- Li Q, Shen P, Wu G, Chen X. Polycystin-2 interacts with troponin I, an angiogenesis inhibitor. Biochemistry. 2003;42:450-7 pubmed..It is possible that altered interaction due to pathogenic polycystin-1 or -2 mutations can account for angiogenesis in ADPKD and may be corrected to some extent by exogenous troponin I. ..
- Jacobs R, Devlin C, Tabas I, Vance D. Targeted deletion of hepatic CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase alpha in mice decreases plasma high density and very low density lipoproteins. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47402-10 pubmed..These results suggest an important role for hepatic CTalpha in regulating both hepatic and systemic lipid and lipoprotein metabolism. ..
- Hidalgo L, Urmson J, Halloran P. IFN-gamma decreases CTL generation by limiting IL-2 production: A feedback loop controlling effector cell production. Am J Transplant. 2005;5:651-61 pubmed..This creates a feedback loop in which effectors produce IFN-gamma that limits IL-2 production which in turn limits CTL generation. ..
- Alvarez B, Johnson D, Sowah D, Soliman D, Light P, Xia Y, et al. Carbonic anhydrase inhibition prevents and reverts cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. J Physiol. 2007;579:127-45 pubmed..Our study demonstrates a novel role for CA in mediating the hypertrophic response of cardiac myocytes to PE and suggests that CA inhibition represents an effective therapeutic approach towards mitigation of the hypertrophic phenotype. ..
- Olson D, Ammann C. Role of the prostaglandins in labour and prostaglandin receptor inhibitors in the prevention of preterm labour. Front Biosci. 2007;12:1329-43 pubmed..31, delays preterm birth in mice and sheep with no observable maternal or fetal side effects. Hence antagonizing PG action offers new hope for delaying preterm birth. ..
- Casey J, Sly W, Shah G, Alvarez B. Bicarbonate homeostasis in excitable tissues: role of AE3 Cl-/HCO3- exchanger and carbonic anhydrase XIV interaction. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;297:C1091-102 pubmed publisher..Association of AE3 and CAXIV may represent a mechanism to enhance disposal of waste CO(2) and to balance pH in excitable tissues. ..
- McCall M, Maciver A, Pawlick R, Edgar R, Shapiro A. Histopaque provides optimal mouse islet purification kinetics: comparison study with Ficoll, iodixanol and dextran. Islets. 2011;3:144-9 pubmed..Using a Ficoll gradient, however, comes at a higher monetary cost. We recommend using a Histopaque gradient, which led to the isolation of viable and functional islets with a reduced cost as compared to a Ficoll gradient. ..
- Chen B, Arnold L, Cohen S, Thomas D, Le X. Mouse arsenic (+3 oxidation state) methyltransferase genotype affects metabolism and tissue dosimetry of arsenicals after arsenite administration in drinking water. Toxicol Sci. 2011;124:320-6 pubmed publisher..These results show that the genotype for arsenic methylation determines the phenotypes of arsenic retention and distribution and affects the dose- and organ-dependent toxicity associated with exposure to inorganic arsenic. ..
- Moon T, Yoshimura T, Parsons T, Befus A. Microenvironmental regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression and nitric oxide production in mouse bone marrow-derived mast cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2012;91:581-90 pubmed publisher..Microenvironmental conditions during their development can influence whether MC are capable of NOS expression and of NO production. ..
- Hori K, Ding J, Marcoux Y, Iwashina T, Sakurai H, Tredget E. Impaired cutaneous wound healing in transforming growth factor-? inducible early gene1 knockout mice. Wound Repair Regen. 2012;20:166-77 pubmed publisher..We also found that Smad7 was increased in the wounds and appeared to play a role in this wound healing model in TIEG1-/- mice. ..
- Colpitts C, Ustinov A, Epand R, Epand R, Korshun V, Schang L. 5-(Perylen-3-yl)ethynyl-arabino-uridine (aUY11), an arabino-based rigid amphipathic fusion inhibitor, targets virion envelope lipids to inhibit fusion of influenza virus, hepatitis C virus, and other enveloped viruses. J Virol. 2013;87:3640-54 pubmed publisher
- Mifflin K, Benson C, Thorburn K, Baker G, Kerr B. Manipulation of Neurotransmitter Levels Has Differential EffectsÂ on Formalin-Evoked Nociceptive Behavior in Male andÂ Female Mice. J Pain. 2016;17:483-98 pubmed publisher..The present study found that nociception in male and female mice may be regulated by different neurotransmitter systems. These results indicate that different pharmacological approaches may be needed to treat pain in both sexes. ..
- Li L, Elliott J, Mosmann T. IL-10 inhibits cytokine production, vascular leakage, and swelling during T helper 1 cell-induced delayed-type hypersensitivity. J Immunol. 1994;153:3967-78 pubmed..The correlation between the inhibition of footpad swelling and cytokine production suggested that the effect of IL-10 on DTH may be mediated through suppression of cytokine synthesis. ..
- Daniels C, Belosevic M. Serum antibody responses by male and female C57Bl/6 mice infected with Giardia muris. Clin Exp Immunol. 1994;97:424-9 pubmed..Our data show differential ability of males and females to control the infection with G. muris is paralleled by a difference in the anti-parasite serum IgG response of the mice. ..
- Wahlsten D. Single-gene influences on brain and behavior. Annu Rev Psychol. 1999;50:599-624 pubmed..The era of examining single-gene effects from a reductionistic perspective is waning, and research with interacting arrays of genes in various environmental contexts is demonstrating a need for systems-oriented theory. ..
- Madsen K, Fedorak R, Tavernini M, Doyle J. Normal Breast Milk Limits the Development of Colitis in IL-10-Deficient Mice. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2002;8:390-8 pubmed..Breast milk has a role in neonatal bacterial colonization. Changing the luminal environment of IL-10-deficient mice during the neonatal period alters the natural disease course. ..
- Marcato P, Griener T, Mulvey G, Armstrong G. Recombinant Shiga toxin B-subunit-keyhole limpet hemocyanin conjugate vaccine protects mice from Shigatoxemia. Infect Immun. 2005;73:6523-9 pubmed..As well, 100% of the mice vaccinated with this preparation were subsequently protected from a lethal dose of Stx2 holotoxin. These results support further evaluation of a Stx2 B-subunit-based human EHEC vaccine. ..
- Steenbergen R, Nanowski T, Beigneux A, Kulinski A, Young S, Vance J. Disruption of the phosphatidylserine decarboxylase gene in mice causes embryonic lethality and mitochondrial defects. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:40032-40 pubmed..Moreover, elimination of PE production in mitochondria causes fragmented, misshapen mitochondria, an abnormality that likely contributes to the embryonic lethality. ..
- Folmes K, Chan A, Koonen D, Pulinilkunnil T, Baczkó I, Hunter B, et al. Distinct early signaling events resulting from the expression of the PRKAG2 R302Q mutant of AMPK contribute to increased myocardial glycogen. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2009;2:457-66 pubmed publisher..These findings are the first to highlight temporal differences in the effects of the PRKAG2 R302Q mutation on cardiac metabolic signaling events. ..
- Vivithanaporn P, Maingat F, Lin L, Na H, Richardson C, Agrawal B, et al. Hepatitis C virus core protein induces neuroimmune activation and potentiates Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 neurotoxicity. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12856 pubmed publisher..The additive neurotoxic effects of HCV- and HIV-encoded proteins highlight extrahepatic mechanisms by which HCV infection worsens the disease course of HIV infection...
- Noorbakhsh F, Ellestad K, Maingat F, Warren K, Han M, Steinman L, et al. Impaired neurosteroid synthesis in multiple sclerosis. Brain. 2011;134:2703-21 pubmed publisher..The findings also indicate that allopregnanolone and perhaps other neurosteroid-like compounds might represent potential biomarkers or therapies for multiple sclerosis. ..
- Mirzayans F, Lavy R, Penner Chea J, Berry F. Initiation of early osteoblast differentiation events through the direct transcriptional regulation of Msx2 by FOXC1. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49095 pubmed publisher..Together these findings suggest that a Foxc1->Msx2 regulatory network functions in the initial stages of osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Branton W, Ellestad K, Maingat F, Wheatley B, Rud E, Warren R, et al. Brain microbial populations in HIV/AIDS: ?-proteobacteria predominate independent of host immune status. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54673 pubmed publisher..Thus, ?-proteobacteria represented the major bacterial component of the primate brain's microbiome regardless of underlying immune status, which could be transferred into naïve hosts leading to microbial persistence in the brain...
- Silver E, Lavender K, Gong D, Hazes B, Kane K. Allelic variation in the ectodomain of the inhibitory Ly-49G2 receptor alters its specificity for allogeneic and xenogeneic ligands. J Immunol. 2002;169:4752-60 pubmed..Our results indicate that allelic variation in Ly-49 extracellular domains can have functional significance by altering Ly-49 receptor specificity for mouse class I MHC and xenogeneic ligands. ..
- Duggan B, Cabilio N, Dickie P, Witmer J, Goping I, Underhill D, et al. A novel lineage-specific hypersensitive site is essential for position independent granzyme B expression in transgenic mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;368:357-63 pubmed publisher..Deletion of HS2 resulted in a 10-fold reduction in expression. This is the first report of a major distal regulatory element in the control of granzyme B transcription. ..
- Marchant D, Bilawchuk L, Nish G, Hegele R. Virus-induced signaling influences endosome trafficking, virus entry, and replication. Methods Enzymol. 2014;534:65-76 pubmed publisher..We also describe how use of immunofluorescence confocal microscopy for imaging virus-host interactions provides a powerful approach for obtaining structural correlations that extend results of immunological and biochemical assays. ..
- Cheema S, Agellon L. The murine and human cholesterol 7alpha-hydroxylase gene promoters are differentially responsive to regulation by fatty acids mediated via peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:12530-6 pubmed..The differential response of the murine Cyp7a1 and human CYP7A1 gene promoters to PPARalpha activators is attributable to the additional PPARalpha/RXRalpha-binding site in the murine Cyp7a1 gene promoter. ..
- Halloran P, Afrouzian M, Ramassar V, Urmson J, Zhu L, Helms L, et al. Interferon-gamma acts directly on rejecting renal allografts to prevent graft necrosis. Am J Pathol. 2001;158:215-26 pubmed..Thus IFN-gamma acting on IFN-gamma receptors in allografts promotes infiltration and MHC induction but prevents early thrombosis, congestion, and necrosis. ..
- Visser F, Vickers M, Ng A, Baldwin S, Young J, Cass C. Mutation of residue 33 of human equilibrative nucleoside transporters 1 and 2 alters sensitivity to inhibition of transport by dilazep and dipyridamole. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:395-401 pubmed..These data established that mutation of residue 33 (Met versus Ile) of hENT1 and hENT2 altered the dilazep and dipyridamole sensitivities in both proteins, suggesting that a common region of inhibitor interaction has been identified. ..
- Ren J, Lee S, Pagliardini S, Gerard M, Stewart C, Greer J, et al. Absence of Ndn, encoding the Prader-Willi syndrome-deleted gene necdin, results in congenital deficiency of central respiratory drive in neonatal mice. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1569-73 pubmed..We propose that necdin deficiency may contribute to observed respiratory abnormalities in individuals with Prader-Willi syndrome through a similar suppression of central respiratory drive. ..
- Walker J, Jijon H, Churchill T, Kulka M, Madsen K. Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase reduces cAMP-mediated epithelial chloride secretion. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2003;285:G850-60 pubmed..In conclusion, AMPK activation is linked with reductions in cAMP-mediated epithelial chloride flux and may be a contributing factor to the hyporesponsiveness seen under conditions of chronic inflammation. ..
- Biron V, McManus K, Hu N, Hendzel M, Underhill D. Distinct dynamics and distribution of histone methyl-lysine derivatives in mouse development. Dev Biol. 2004;276:337-51 pubmed..Importantly, our results establish that histone lysine methylation occurs in a highly dynamic manner that is consistent with their function in an epigenetic program for cell division and differentiation. ..
- Beyea J, Olson D, Harvey S. Growth hormone (GH) action in the developing lung: changes in lung proteins after adenoviral GH overexpression. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:404-12 pubmed
- Kneteman N, Weiner A, O Connell J, Collett M, Gao T, Aukerman L, et al. Anti-HCV therapies in chimeric scid-Alb/uPA mice parallel outcomes in human clinical application. Hepatology. 2006;43:1346-53 pubmed..In conclusion, this system may help selection of lead compounds for advancement into human trials with an increased likelihood of clinical success while broadening the tools available for study of the biology of HCV infection. ..
- Afkhami Goli A, Noorbakhsh F, Keller A, Vergnolle N, Westaway D, Jhamandas J, et al. Proteinase-activated receptor-2 exerts protective and pathogenic cell type-specific effects in Alzheimer's disease. J Immunol. 2007;179:5493-503 pubmed
- Jacobs R, Lingrell S, Zhao Y, Francis G, Vance D. Hepatic CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase-alpha is a critical predictor of plasma high density lipoprotein and very low density lipoprotein. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2147-55 pubmed..The observations demonstrate that hepatic PC biosynthesis is a key player in maintaining plasma VLDL and HDL, and further underscores the importance of the liver in HDL formation...
- Gibbings D, Ghetu A, Dery R, Befus A. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor has a MHC class I-like motif and function. Scand J Immunol. 2008;67:121-32 pubmed publisher..MIF may be an example where small regions of MHC class I are used by endogenous and viral proteins to control cytotoxicity mediated by immune cells. ..
- Olechowski C, Truong J, Kerr B. Neuropathic pain behaviours in a chronic-relapsing model of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE). Pain. 2009;141:156-64 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that the MOG(35-55) EAE model is a useful tool to study neuropathic pain in MS. ..
- Ferguson B, Ostergaard H. CD45 regulates thymocyte survival during development in fetal thymic organ culture. Immunobiology. 2010;215:458-65 pubmed publisher..Our studies show that CD45 expressed on thymocytes is an important regulator of survival during T cell development. ..
- Koonen D, Sung M, Kao C, Dolinsky V, Koves T, Ilkayeva O, et al. Alterations in skeletal muscle fatty acid handling predisposes middle-aged mice to diet-induced insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2010;59:1366-75 pubmed publisher..Our data also demonstrate that limiting skeletal muscle fatty acid transport is an effective approach for delaying the development of age-associated insulin resistance and metabolic disease during exposure to a high-fat diet. ..
- Na H, Acharjee S, Jones G, Vivithanaporn P, Noorbakhsh F, McFarlane N, et al. Interactions between human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 Vpr expression and innate immunity influence neurovirulence. Retrovirology. 2011;8:44 pubmed publisher..05). These observations underscored the potent neuropathogenic properties of Vpr but also indicated viral diversity modulates innate neuroimmunity and neurodegeneration. ..