Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Publications114 found, 100 shown here
- Vasanthan V, Garg M, Maruyama M, Michelakis E, Freed D, Nagendran J. Extended Bridge to Heart and Lung Transplantation Using Pumpless Extracorporeal Lung Assist. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:950.e11-950.e13 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate how pECLA permits mobility, facilitating physiotherapy to ensure fitness for transplantation. Considering the irreversible right heart failure, HLTx remains suitable in iPAH. ..
- Kolt G, George E, Rebar A, Duncan M, Vandelanotte C, Caperchione C, et al. Associations between quality of life and duration and frequency of physical activity and sedentary behaviour: Baseline findings from the WALK 2.0 randomised controlled trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180072 pubmed publisher..Further prospective studies are required to investigate these associations in different population groups over time. ..
- Arroyo Arroyo M, Arango E, Carmona Fonseca J, Aristizábal B, Yanow S, Maestre A. Efficacy of Different Primaquine Regimens to Control Plasmodium falciparum Gametocytemia in Colombia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:712-718 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to establish a PQ regimen with complete efficacy against gametocytes. ..
- Genuis S, Birkholz D, Genuis S. Human Excretion of Polybrominated Diphenyl Ether Flame Retardants: Blood, Urine, and Sweat Study. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:3676089 pubmed publisher..Fetotoxic and reproductive effects of PBDE exposure highlight the importance of further detoxification research. ..
- Carson V, Tremblay M, Chastin S. Cross-sectional associations between sleep duration, sedentary time, physical activity, and adiposity indicators among Canadian preschool-aged children using compositional analyses. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:848 pubmed publisher..Future research is needed to determine the optimal movement behaviour composition that should be promoted in this age group. ..
- Fu J, Dai X, Plummer G, Suzuki K, Bautista A, Githaka J, et al. Kv2.1 Clustering Contributes to Insulin Exocytosis and Rescues Human β-Cell Dysfunction. Diabetes. 2017;66:1890-1900 pubmed publisher..Thus, the ability of Kv2.1 to directly facilitate insulin exocytosis depends on channel clustering. Loss of this structural role for the channel might contribute to impaired insulin secretion in diabetes. ..
- Spitler K, Ponce J, Oudit G, Hall D, Grueter C. Cardiac Med1 deletion promotes early lethality, cardiac remodeling, and transcriptional reprogramming. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;312:H768-H780 pubmed publisher..Med1 deletion disrupted cardiac mitochondrial and metabolic gene expression patterns. ..
- Aubrey C, Mumtaz Z, Patterson P, Chari R, Mitchell B. Accommodating Immigrant Women's Preferences for Female Health Care Providers. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;129:919-924 pubmed publisher..Our qualitative study suggests a need for greater research to inform policy that meets the professional and personal values of both physicians and patients. ..
- Raslan I, Brown P, Westerhout C, Ezekowitz J, Hernandez A, Starling R, et al. Characterization of hemodynamically stable acute heart failure patients requiring a critical care unit admission: Derivation, validation, and refinement of a risk score. Am Heart J. 2017;188:127-135 pubmed publisher..The model has modest discrimination; however, these findings deserve further exploration because they may provide a more accurate means of triaging level of care for patients with AHF who need admission. ..
- McRae A, Innes G, Graham M, Lang E, Andruchow J, Yang H, et al. Comparative Evaluation of 2-Hour Rapid Diagnostic Algorithms for Acute Myocardial Infarction Using High-Sensitivity Cardiac Troponin T. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1006-1012 pubmed publisher..The algorithm developed by Reichlin et al. had superior classification performance. Reichlin and colleagues' 2-hour rule-in algorithm had poor positive predictive value and might not be suitable for early rule-in decision-making. ..
- Gibbs S, Kulig J. "We definitely are role models": Exploring how clinical instructors' influence nursing students' attitudes towards older adults. Nurse Educ Pract. 2017;26:74-81 pubmed publisher..Insights from this study also have the potential to improve the quality of care that future nurses provide to older adults. ..
- TRAN D, Welsh R, Ohinmaa A, Thanh N, Bagai A, Kaul P. Quality of Acute Myocardial Infarction Care in Canada: A 10-Year Review of 30-Day In-Hospital Mortality and 30-Day Hospital Readmission. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1319-1326 pubmed publisher..Significant interprovincial variations remained. A stronger focus on pan-Canadian coordination in AMI care and a set of standard benchmarks for AMI-specific PCI- and CABG-related quality indicators are needed. ..
- Stewart R, Held C, Hadziosmanovic N, Armstrong P, Cannon C, Granger C, et al. Physical Activity and Mortality in Patients With Stable Coronary Heart Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1689-1700 pubmed publisher..0007). In patients with stable CHD, more physical activity was associated with lower mortality. The largest benefits occurred between sedentary patient groups and between those with the highest mortality risk. ..
- Yavari M, Haykowsky M, Savu A, Kaul P, Dyck J, Haennel R. Volume and Patterns of Physical Activity Across the Health and Heart Failure Continuum. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1465-1471 pubmed publisher..Monitoring volume and pattern of PA for those at risk of HF and patients with HFPEF could help to identify sedentary individuals and to develop tailored behavioural interventions for them. ..
- Kudo N, Barr A, Barr R, Desai S, Lopaschuk G. High rates of fatty acid oxidation during reperfusion of ischemic hearts are associated with a decrease in malonyl-CoA levels due to an increase in 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase inhibition of acetyl-CoA carboxylase. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:17513-20 pubmed..The subsequent decrease in malonyl-CoA levels wil result in accelerated fatty acid oxidation rates during reperfusion of ischemic hearts. ..
- Trayhurn P, Temple N, Van Aerde J. Evidence from immunoblotting studies on uncoupling protein that brown adipose tissue is not present in the domestic pig. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1989;67:1480-5 pubmed..It is concluded that the pig does not contain adipose tissue that is functionally "brown;" adipose tissues in this species appear to be exclusively "white." ..
- Fernandez Patron C, Radomski M, Davidge S. Vascular matrix metalloproteinase-2 cleaves big endothelin-1 yielding a novel vasoconstrictor. Circ Res. 1999;85:906-11 pubmed..These data implicate, for the first time, the endogenous MMP-2/TIMP-2 system in the regulation of vascular reactivity. ..
- Le May S, Ali S, Plint A, MASSE B, Neto G, Auclair M, et al. Oral Analgesics Utilization for Children With Musculoskeletal Injury (OUCH Trial): An RCT. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..We aimed to test the efficacy of a combination of an anti-inflammatory drug with an opioid for pain management of MSK-I in children presenting to the ED...
- Brenner D, Poirier A, Haig T, Akawung A, Friedenreich C, Robson P. Measures of excess body weight and anthropometry among adult Albertans: cross-sectional results from Alberta's tomorrow project cohort. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:899 pubmed publisher..A large majority of ATP participants were overweight and carried excess abdominal fat. Strategies to improve energy balance among Albertans are encouraged and may have a notable impact on future chronic disease burden. ..
- Kirkpatrick A, McKee J, Tien C, Laporta A, Lavell K, Leslie T, et al. Abbreviated closure for remote damage control laparotomy in extreme environments: A randomized trial of sutures versus wound clamps comparing terrestrial and weightless conditions. Am J Surg. 2017;213:862-869 pubmed publisher..016) and 0g (p = 0.008). WC was more effective in 1g and particularly 0g. Future studies should address the utility of abbreviated WC abdominal closure to facilitate potential Far-Forward DCL. ID ISRCTN/77929274. ..
- Koch D, Speiser J, Durkalski V, Fontana R, Davern T, McGuire B, et al. The Natural History of Severe Acute Liver Injury. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017;112:1389-1396 pubmed publisher..A majority of ALI cases are due to APAP, 93% of whom will improve rapidly and fully recover, while non-APAP patients have a far greater risk of poor outcome and should be targeted for early referral to a liver transplant center. ..
- Turgeon A, Lauzier F, Zarychanski R, Fergusson D, Leger C, McIntyre L, et al. Prognostication in critically ill patients with severe traumatic brain injury: the TBI-Prognosis multicentre feasibility study. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e013779 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the TBI-Prognosis prospective multicentre study in severe traumatic brain injury patients in Canada is feasible. ..
- Montero Odasso M, Sarquis Adamson Y, Speechley M, Borrie M, Hachinski V, Wells J, et al. Association of Dual-Task Gait With Incident Dementia in Mild Cognitive Impairment: Results From the Gait and Brain Study. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:857-865 pubmed publisher..A dual-task gait test evaluating the cognitive-motor interface may predict dementia progression in older adults with MCI...
- Zaugg M, Lou P, Lucchinetti E, Gandhi M, Clanachan A. Postconditioning with Intralipid emulsion protects against reperfusion injury in post-infarct remodeled rat hearts by activation of ROS-Akt/Erk signaling. Transl Res. 2017;186:36-51.e2 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a rationale for the clinical evaluation of ILE postconditioning where ILE is administered as a bolus at the onset of reperfusion. ..
- Tonelli M, Wiebe N, Bello A, Field C, Gill J, Hemmelgarn B, et al. Concentrations of Trace Elements in Hemodialysis Patients: A Prospective Cohort Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:696-704 pubmed publisher..Some patients have excessive plasma arsenic and mercury concentrations, and excessive lead concentrations were common. These findings require further investigation. ..
- Chaput J, Colley R, Aubert S, Carson V, Janssen I, Roberts K, et al. Proportion of preschool-aged children meeting the Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines and associations with adiposity: results from the Canadian Health Measures Survey. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:829 pubmed publisher..Future work should focus on identifying innovative ways to reduce screen time in this population, and should examine the associations of guideline adherence with health indicators other than adiposity. ..
- Rosychuk R, Holroyd B, Zhang X, Rowe B, Graham M. Sex Differences in Outcomes After Discharge from the Emergency Department for Atrial Fibrillation/Flutter. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:806-813 pubmed publisher..Our findings have important potential implications for physicians in the emergency setting. ..
- Guo L, Bobhate P, Kumar S, Vadlamudi K, Kaddoura T, Elgendi M, et al. Hyperoxia Reduces Oxygen Consumption in Children with Pulmonary Hypertension. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017;38:959-964 pubmed publisher..The assumption that VO2 remains unchanged in hyperoxia may be incorrect and, if the Fick equation is used, may lead to an overestimation of pulmonary blood flow and underestimation of PVRI. ..
- Bolton J, Morin S, Majumdar S, Sareen J, Lix L, Johansson H, et al. Association of Mental Disorders and Related Medication Use With Risk for Major Osteoporotic Fractures. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:641-648 pubmed publisher..Depression and psychotropic medication use are potential risk indicators that are independent of FRAX estimates. ..
- Zhang Q, Huhn K, Tan A, Douglas R, Li H, Murti M, et al. "Testing is Healthy" TimePlay campaign: Evaluation of sexual health promotion gamification intervention targeting young adults. Can J Public Health. 2017;108:e85-e90 pubmed publisher..The campaign reached a large population at a low cost and was correlated with spikes in the unique page views for the Clinic Finder page. ..
- Ooi T, Krysa J, Chaker S, Abujrad H, Mayne J, Henry K, et al. The Effect of PCSK9 Loss-of-Function Variants on the Postprandial Lipid and ApoB-Lipoprotein Response. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:3452-3460 pubmed publisher..Participants carrying PCSK9-LOF variants had attenuated levels of fasting and postprandial TG, apoB48, and total apoB. This may confer protection from CVD and further validate the use of PCSK9 inhibitors to lower CVD risk. ..
- Torti J, Luig T, Borowitz M, Johnson J, Sharma A, Campbell Scherer D. The 5As team patient study: patient perspectives on the role of primary care in obesity management. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:19 pubmed publisher..Patients felt that the current services were positive resources, but expressed needs for tailored weight management plans, and longer-term follow-up. ..
- Padwal R, Klarenbach S, Sharma A, Fradette M, Jelinski S, Edwards A, et al. The evaluating self-management and educational support in severely obese patients awaiting multidisciplinary bariatric care (EVOLUTION) trial: principal results. BMC Med. 2017;15:46 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT01860131 . Registered 17 May 2013. ..
- Dalby A, Gottlieb S, Cyr D, Magnus Ohman E, McGuire D, Ruzyllo W, et al. Dual antiplatelet therapy in patients with diabetes and acute coronary syndromes managed without revascularization. Am Heart J. 2017;188:156-166 pubmed publisher..There was no differential treatment effect with a more potent DAPT regimen of aspirin + prasugrel vs. aspirin + clopidogrel. ..
- Greene S, Hernandez A, Dunning A, Ambrosy A, Armstrong P, Butler J, et al. Hospitalization for Recently Diagnosed Versus Worsening Chronic Heart Failure: From the ASCEND-HF Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:3029-3039 pubmed publisher..A Study Testing the Effectiveness of Nesiritide in Patients With Acute Decompensated Heart Failure; NCT00475852). ..
- McDonald R, Ding K, Brundage M, Meyer R, Nabid A, Chabot P, et al. Effect of Radiotherapy on Painful Bone Metastases: A Secondary Analysis of the NCIC Clinical Trials Group Symptom Control Trial SC.23. JAMA Oncol. 2017;3:953-959 pubmed publisher..A single 8-Gy radiotherapy dose for bone metastases should be offered to all patients, even those with poor survival. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01248585. ..
- Hazlett H, Gu H, Munsell B, Kim S, Styner M, Wolff J, et al. Early brain development in infants at high risk for autism spectrum disorder. Nature. 2017;542:348-351 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that early brain changes occur during the period in which autistic behaviours are first emerging. ..
- Padwal R, Rashead M, Snider J, Morrin L, Lehman A, Campbell N. Worksite-based cardiovascular risk screening and management: a feasibility study. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2017;13:209-213 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the feasibility and usefulness of collaborative, worksite-based cardiovascular risk factor screening and management. Expansion of this type of partnership in a cost-effective manner is warranted. ..
- Cohen J, Beernaert K, Van den Block L, Morin L, Hunt K, Miccinesi G, et al. Differences in place of death between lung cancer and COPD patients: a 14-country study using death certificate data. NPJ Prim Care Respir Med. 2017;27:14 pubmed publisher..Cohen's team found that, with the exception of Italy, Spain, and Mexico, patients with COPD were significantly more likely to die in hospital than at home. They highlight the need for improved COPD palliative care provision. ..
- Dimian A, Botteron K, Dager S, Elison J, Estes A, Pruett J, et al. Potential Risk Factors for the Development of Self-Injurious Behavior among Infants at Risk for Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Autism Dev Disord. 2017;47:1403-1415 pubmed publisher..A pattern of persistent SIB over this period was associated with a diagnosis of autism and poorer cognitive and adaptive outcomes. ..
- Alfredsson J, Neely B, Neely M, Bhatt D, Goodman S, Tricoci P, et al. Predicting the risk of bleeding during dual antiplatelet therapy after acute coronary syndromes. Heart. 2017;103:1168-1176 pubmed publisher..The TRILOGY ACS bleeding models can inform risk -benefit considerations regarding the duration of DAPT following ACS. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00699998. ..
- Deneau M, El Matary W, Valentino P, Abdou R, Alqoaer K, Amin M, et al. The natural history of primary sclerosing cholangitis in 781 children: A multicenter, international collaboration. Hepatology. 2017;66:518-527 pubmed publisher..Hepatology 2017;66:518-527). ..
- Ball G, Spence N, Browne N, O CONNOR K, Srikameswaran S, Zelichowska J, et al. The readiness and motivation interview for families (RMI-Family) managing pediatric obesity: study protocol. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:261 pubmed publisher..Findings will help to create an innovative, tailored model of health care delivery that uses resources judiciously and is designed to best meet families' needs. ..
- Hariri A, Velaga S, Girach A, Ip M, Le P, Lam B, et al. Measurement and Reproducibility of Preserved Ellipsoid Zone Area and Preserved Retinal Pigment Epithelium Area in Eyes With Choroideremia. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;179:110-117 pubmed publisher..These variables would be potential anatomic outcome measures for CHM clinical trials and could be studied and tracked longitudinally in choroideremia. ..
- Nankoo J, Madan C, Sawalha J, Wylie D, Friedman A, Spetch M, et al. The contribution of nonrigid motion and shape information to object perception in pigeons and humans. J Vis. 2017;17:17 pubmed publisher..We argue that the use of nonrigid motion for object perception is evolutionarily important and should be considered in general theories of vision at least with respect to visually sophisticated animals. ..
- Cooper T, Harris B, Mourad A, Garros D, El Hakim H. Comparison between selective and routine intensive care unit admission post-supraglottoplasty. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;99:90-94 pubmed publisher..Selective post-operative ICU admission following SGP significantly reduces ICU utilization and may reduce length of hospital stay without compromising safety and care. This has significant cost benefit implications. ..
- De Jong K, Czeczor J, Sithara S, McEwen K, Lopaschuk G, Appelbe A, et al. Obesity and type 2 diabetes have additive effects on left ventricular remodelling in normotensive patients-a cross sectional study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16:21 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, that LVPWd may underestimate LV remodelling in these patient groups and that pulse pressure can be used as convenient predictor of hypertrophy status. ..
- Faught E, Ekwaru J, Gleddie D, Storey K, Asbridge M, Veugelers P. The combined impact of diet, physical activity, sleep and screen time on academic achievement: a prospective study of elementary school students in Nova Scotia, Canada. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017;14:29 pubmed publisher..School-based health promotion initiatives that target multiple lifestyle behaviors may have a greater effect on academic achievement than those that focus on a single behavior. ..
- Benchimol E, Bernstein C, Bitton A, Carroll M, Singh H, Otley A, et al. Trends in Epidemiology of Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Canada: Distributed Network Analysis of Multiple Population-Based Provincial Health Administrative Databases. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017;112:1120-1134 pubmed publisher..We used population-based health administrative data to determine national Canadian IBD incidence, prevalence, and trends over time of childhood-onset IBD...
- Mackie A, TRAN D, Marelli A, Kaul P. Cost of Congenital Heart Disease Hospitalizations in Canada: A Population-Based Study. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:792-798 pubmed publisher..Although children still account for greater inpatient CHD costs, a larger increase was observed among adults. These data are important in allocating inpatient resources for adults with CHD. ..
- Lawton C, Lin X, Hanks G, Lepor H, Grignon D, Brereton H, et al. Duration of Androgen Deprivation in Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer: Long-Term Update of NRG Oncology RTOG 9202. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:296-303 pubmed publisher..48). LTAD and RT is superior to STAD and RT for the treatment of locally advanced nonmetastatic adenocarcinoma of the prostate and should be considered the standard of care. ..
- Dougados M, van der Heijde D, Sieper J, Braun J, Citera G, Lenaerts J, et al. Effects of Long-Term Etanercept Treatment on Clinical Outcomes and Objective Signs of Inflammation in Early Nonradiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis: 104-Week Results From a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017;69:1590-1598 pubmed publisher..Patients with early, active nonradiographic axial SpA and an inadequate response to at least 2 NSAIDs demonstrated improvement in clinical and imaging outcomes that were sustained through 104 weeks of etanercept treatment. ..
- Dunsmore G, Bozorgmehr N, Delyea C, Koleva P, Namdar A, Elahi S. Erythroid Suppressor Cells Compromise Neonatal Immune Response against Bordetella pertussis. J Immunol. 2017;199:2081-2095 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that our results will spark renewed investigation in modulating the function of these cells and developing novel strategies for enhancing host defense to infections in newborns. ..
- Connors W, Rabie H, Figueiredo R, Holton D, Parkins M. Acute dental infections managed in an outpatient parenteral antibiotic program setting: prospective analysis and public health implications. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:202 pubmed publisher..Although OPAT programs may offer short-term cost savings compared with hospitalization, risks associated with extended antibiotic exposures and delayed definitive dental management must also be gauged. ..
- Ascierto P, Del Vecchio M, Robert C, Mackiewicz A, Chiarion Sileni V, Arance A, et al. Ipilimumab 10 mg/kg versus ipilimumab 3 mg/kg in patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma: a randomised, double-blind, multicentre, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:611-622 pubmed publisher..Although the treatment landscape for advanced melanoma has changed since this study was initiated, the clinical use of ipilimumab in refractory patients with unmet medical needs could warrant further assessment. Bristol-Myers Squibb. ..
- Scott O, Shi D, Andriashek D, Clark B, Goez H. Clinical clues for autoimmunity and neuroinflammation in patients with autistic regression. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2017;59:947-951 pubmed publisher..This study explores clinical clues for an association between autistic regression and autoimmunity...
- Terada T, Forhan M, Norris C, Qiu W, Padwal R, Sharma A, et al. Differences in Short- and Long-Term Mortality Associated With BMI Following Coronary Revascularization. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Greater long-term mortality in patients with obese class III following PCI, especially in those with high-risk coronary anatomy without diabetes mellitus, warrants further investigation. ..
- McAlister F, Youngson E, Eurich D. Treatment Deintensification Is Uncommon in Adults With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..5% after (P<0.001). Among frail patients or those with multiple comorbidities, over three quarters with low HbA1C did not have their glycemic therapy deintensified, even after safety concerns were raised in the ACCORD trial. ..
- Wu X, Sawatzky R, Hopman W, Mayo N, Sajobi T, Liu J, et al. Latent variable mixture models to test for differential item functioning: a population-based analysis. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:102 pubmed publisher..Evaluation of DIF should be a routine step when analysing population-based self-report data to ensure valid comparisons amongst sub-groups. ..
- Chan M, Neely M, Roe M, Goodman S, Erlinge D, Cornel J, et al. Temporal Biomarker Profiling Reveals Longitudinal Changes in Risk of Death or Myocardial Infarction in Non-ST-Segment Elevation Acute Coronary Syndrome. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1214-1226 pubmed publisher..10, 95%, CI 1.00-1.20). Temporal changes in NT-proBNP and hs-CRP are quantitatively associated with future cardiovascular events, supporting their role in dynamic risk stratification of NSTEACS. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00699998. ..
- Golec D, Hoeppli R, Henao Caviedes L, McCann J, Levings M, Baldwin T. Thymic progenitors of TCR??+ CD8?? intestinal intraepithelial lymphocytes require RasGRP1 for development. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2421-2435 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that RasGRP1-dependent signaling underpins thymic selection processes induced by both weak and strong TCR signals and is differentially required for fate decisions derived from a strong TCR stimulus. ..
- Youssef N, Campbell S, Barr A, Gandhi M, Hunter B, Dolinsky V, et al. Hearts lacking plasma membrane KATP channels display changes in basal aerobic metabolic substrate preference and AMPK activity. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H469-H478 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ATP-sensitive K+ channels may play a novel role in regulating metabolism in addition to their well-documented effects on ionic homeostasis during periods of stress. ..
- Adams S, DeLorey D, Davenport M, Stickland M, Fairey A, North S, et al. Effects of high-intensity aerobic interval training on cardiovascular disease risk in testicular cancer survivors: A phase 2 randomized controlled trial. Cancer. 2017;123:4057-4065 pubmed publisher..Further research concerning the long-term effects of HIIT on CVD morbidity and mortality in TCS is warranted. Cancer 2017;123:4057-65. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Lee M, Kim J, Kim D, Kang D, Park J, Ahn K, et al. Effect of home-based exercise intervention on fasting insulin and Adipocytokines in colorectal cancer survivors: a randomized controlled trial. Metabolism. 2017;76:23-31 pubmed publisher..2m in the exercise group with no change in the control group (p=0.061 for group and time interaction). The 12week home-based exercise program increased level of physical activity and decreased circulating insulin levels in CRC survivors. ..
- Jacobson I, Lawitz E, Gane E, Willems B, Ruane P, Nahass R, et al. Efficacy of 8 Weeks of Sofosbuvir, Velpatasvir, and Voxilaprevir in Patients With Chronic HCV Infection: 2 Phase 3 Randomized Trials. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:113-122 pubmed publisher..Mild gastrointestinal adverse events were associated with treatment regimens that included voxilaprevir. ClinicalTrials.gov numbers: POLARIS-2, NCT02607800; and POLARIS-3, NCT02639338. ..
- van der Heijde D, Dougados M, LandewÃ© R, Sieper J, Maksymowych W, Rudwaleit M, et al. Sustained efficacy, safety and patient-reported outcomes of certolizumab pegol in axial spondyloarthritis: 4-year outcomes from RAPID-axSpA. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1498-1509 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov, http://clinicaltrials.gov, NCT01087762. ..
- Pachêco Pereira C, Alsufyani N, Major M, Palomino Gómez S, Pereira J, Flores Mir C. Correlation and reliability of cone-beam computed tomography nasopharyngeal volumetric and area measurements as determined by commercial software against nasopharyngoscopy-supported diagnosis of adenoid hypertrophy. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017;152:92-103 pubmed publisher
- Bhutani M, Yang W, Hebert J, de Takacsy F, Stril J. The real world effect of omalizumab add on therapy for patients with moderate to severe allergic asthma: The ASTERIX Observational study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183869 pubmed publisher..Patients on treatment reported improved asthma control and quality of life. FeNO may be a useful biomarker to identify patients who may benefit with omalizumab treatment. ..
- Jun M, Lix L, Durand M, Dahl M, Paterson J, Dormuth C, et al. Comparative safety of direct oral anticoagulants and warfarin in venous thromboembolism: multicentre, population based, observational study. BMJ. 2017;359:j4323 pubmed publisher..b>Trial registration Clinical trials NCT02833987. ..
- Seaver C, Hurd P. Are there consistent behavioral differences between sexes and male color morphs in Pelvicachromis pulcher?. Zoology (Jena). 2017;122:115-125 pubmed publisher..We find no evidence for a common behavioral syndrome underlying personality traits across females, yellow males and red males. ..
- Füzéry A, Raizman J, Goudreau B, Moses K, Niemann K, Park J, et al. The BD Barricor blood collection tube is an acceptable and robust alternative to the PST for use with the Beckman AccuTnI+3 assay. Clin Biochem. 2017;50:851-857 pubmed publisher..cTnI results below 0.04?g/L may still be of questionable accuracy even with the use of this new tube. ..
- Adeli K, Higgins V, Seccombe D, Collier C, Balion C, Cembrowski G, et al. National Survey of Adult and Pediatric Reference Intervals in Clinical Laboratories across Canada: A Report of the CSCC Working Group on Reference Interval Harmonization. Clin Biochem. 2017;50:925-935 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the observed variation in reference intervals across instruments cannot be explained by the bias between the results obtained on instruments by different manufacturers. ..
- Garad Y, Maximova K, MacKinnon N, McGrath J, Kozyrskyj A, Colman I. Sex-Specific Differences in the Association Between Childhood Adversity and Cardiovascular Disease in Adulthood: Evidence From a National Cohort Study. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1013-1019 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for understanding sex differences in CVD risk. ..
- Le T, Zhou Q, Cobos I, Zhang S, Zagozewski J, Japoni S, et al. GABAergic Interneuron Differentiation in the Basal Forebrain Is Mediated through Direct Regulation of Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Isoforms by Dlx Homeobox Transcription Factors. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8816-8829 pubmed publisher..2005) or contribute to the pathogenesis of some autism spectrum disorders. GABAergic dysfunction in the basal ganglia could disrupt the learning and development of complex motor and cognitive behaviors (Rubenstein and Merzenich, 2003). ..
- Bhatt M, Johnson D, Chan J, Taljaard M, Barrowman N, Farion K, et al. Risk Factors for Adverse Events in Emergency Department Procedural Sedation for Children. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:957-964 pubmed publisher..Use of ketamine only was associated with the best outcomes, resulting in significantly fewer SAEs and interventions than ketamine combined with propofol or fentanyl. ..
- Bonnet D, Berger F, Jokinen E, Kantor P, Daubeney P. Ivabradine in Children With Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Symptomatic Chronic Heart Failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1262-1272 pubmed publisher..Determination of the efficacious and safe dose of ivabradine in paediatric patients with dilated cardiomyopathy and symptomatic chronic heart failure from ages 6 months to 18 years; ISRCTN60567801). ..
- Davidov D, Davis S, Zhu M, Afifi T, Kimber M, Goldstein A, et al. Intimate partner violence-related hospitalizations in Appalachia and the non-Appalachian United States. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184222 pubmed publisher..Exploring disparities in healthcare utilization and costs associated with IPV in Appalachia is critical for the development of programs to effectively target the needs of this population. ..
- Lamb C, Mowat G, Gilbert S, McLellan B, Nielsen S, Boutin S. Density-dependent signaling: An alternative hypothesis on the function of chemical signaling in a non-territorial solitary carnivore. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184176 pubmed publisher..We suggest that future endeavors to elucidate the function of rubbing should sample the behavior across a range of population densities using camera trap and genotypic data...
- Lee E, Hesketh K, Hunter S, Kuzik N, Rhodes R, Rinaldi C, et al. Meeting new Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for the Early Years and associations with adiposity among toddlers living in Edmonton, Canada. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:840 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, future high-quality studies examining dose-response relationships between movement behaviours and health indicators are needed to inform guideline updates. ..