Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on liver in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Cheema S, Goel V, Basu T, Agellon L. Dietary rhubarb (Rheum rhaponticum) stalk fibre does not lower plasma cholesterol levels in diabetic rats. Br J Nutr. 2003;89:201-6 pubmed..These results suggest that although a rhubarb-fibre-enriched diet increased cyp7a activity in BBdp rats, there was no apparent therapeutic benefit in terms of lowering plasma cholesterol concentrations...
- Aspeslet L, Baker G, Coutts R, Mousseau D. A gas chromatographic procedure for separation and quantitation of the enantiomers of the antidepressant tranylcypromine. Biochem Pharmacol. 1992;44:1894-7 pubmed
- Vance D. Physiological roles of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1831:626-32 pubmed publisher..Humans with a Val-to-Met substitution in PEMT at residue 175 may have increased susceptibility to nonalcoholic liver disease. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Phospholipids and Phospholipid Metabolism. ..
- Jacobs R, Stead L, Devlin C, Tabas I, Brosnan M, Brosnan J, et al. Physiological regulation of phospholipid methylation alters plasma homocysteine in mice. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:28299-305 pubmed..These data suggest that phospholipid methylation in the liver is a major consumer of AdoMet and a significant source of plasma Hcy. ..
- Li Z, Agellon L, Vance D. Choline redistribution during adaptation to choline deprivation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:10283-9 pubmed..The data suggest that adaptation to choline deprivation is not restricted to liver via choline recycling but also occurs in the whole animal via choline redistribution. ..
- Aoyama C, Ishidate K, Sugimoto H, Vance D. Induction of choline kinase alpha by carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) occurs via increased binding of c-jun to an AP-1 element. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1771:1148-55 pubmed..The results from these studies provide strong evidence that the choline kinase alpha promoter has a distal element (-875/-867) that binds c-jun and the binding of c-jun is enhanced by treatment with CCl4. ..
- Huang J, Li L, Lian J, Schauer S, Vesely P, Kratky D, et al. Tumor-Induced Hyperlipidemia Contributes to Tumor Growth. Cell Rep. 2016;15:336-48 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that tumor-induced hyperlipidemia encompasses a feed-forward loop that reprograms hepatic lipoprotein homeostasis in part by providing LDL cholesterol to support tumor growth. ..
- Friedman J, Ducharme R, Raymond V, Walter M. Isolation of a novel iris-specific and leucine-rich repeat protein (oculoglycan) using differential selection. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2000;41:2059-66 pubmed..IR185 is a tentative candidate for one eye disorder genetically localized to chromosome 1q31-q32. ..
- Stone S, Vance J. Cloning and expression of murine liver phosphatidylserine synthase (PSS)-2: differential regulation of phospholipid metabolism by PSS1 and PSS2. Biochem J. 1999;342 ( Pt 1):57-64 pubmed..In addition, mRNAs encoding the two synthases are differentially expressed in several murine tissues, supporting the idea that PSS1 and PSS2 might perform unique functions. ..
- Cole L, Dolinsky V, Dyck J, Vance D. Impaired phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis reduces atherosclerosis and prevents lipotoxic cardiac dysfunction in ApoE-/- Mice. Circ Res. 2011;108:686-94 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that treatment strategies aimed at inhibition of PEMT might prevent the accumulation of cardiac triacylglycerol that predisposes individuals to compromised cardiac function. ..
- Waggoner D, Gomez Munoz A, Dewald J, Brindley D. Phosphatidate phosphohydrolase catalyzes the hydrolysis of ceramide 1-phosphate, lysophosphatidate, and sphingosine 1-phosphate. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:16506-9 pubmed..The enzyme could thus play an important role in regulating cell activation and signal transduction. ..
- Cui Z, Vance J, Chen M, Voelker D, Vance D. Cloning and expression of a novel phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. A specific biochemical and cytological marker for a unique membrane fraction in rat liver. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:16655-63 pubmed..The data suggest that this phosphatidylethanolamine methyltransferase is a specific marker for this unique membrane fraction. ..
- Walkey C, Yu L, Agellon L, Vance D. Biochemical and evolutionary significance of phospholipid methylation. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:27043-6 pubmed..We suggest that the Pempt gene has been maintained during evolution to provide phosphatidylcholine when dietary choline is insufficient, as might occur during starvation or pregnancy. ..
- Lam N, Lewis J, Cheung A, Luk C, Tse J, Wang J, et al. Leptin increases hepatic insulin sensitivity and protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B expression. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:1333-45 pubmed
- Buttenschoen K, Kern P, Reuter S, Barth T. Hepatic infestation of Echinococcus multilocularis with extension to regional lymph nodes. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2009;394:699-704 pubmed publisher..Omission of lymph node dissection can leave behind parasitic tissue and surgical procedures erroneously judged as curative. ..
- Cox D, Prat L, Walshe J, Heathcote J, Gaffney D. Twenty-four novel mutations in Wilson disease patients of predominantly European ancestry. Hum Mutat. 2005;26:280 pubmed..Characterization of mutations, both disease-causing and normal variants, is essential for accurate molecular diagnosis of this condition. ..
- Niebergall L, Jacobs R, Chaba T, Vance D. Phosphatidylcholine protects against steatosis in mice but not non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1811:1177-85 pubmed publisher..These results show that normalizing the amount of hepatic PC is not sufficient to prevent NASH in LCT?(-/-) mice. ..
- Shields D, Lehner R, Agellon L, Vance D. Membrane topography of human phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2956-62 pubmed..Further support for this model was obtained following endoproteinase-protection analysis of mutant recombinant PEMT derivatives in which specific protease cleavage sites had been genetically engineered or ablated. ..
- Moore S, Helmle K, Prat L, Cox D. Tissue localization of the copper chaperone ATOX1 and its potential role in disease. Mamm Genome. 2002;13:563-8 pubmed..The human phenotype resulting from mutations in ATOX1 remains unidentified. ..
- Zhao Y, Su B, Jacobs R, Kennedy B, Francis G, Waddington E, et al. Lack of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase alters plasma VLDL phospholipids and attenuates atherosclerosis in mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1349-55 pubmed publisher..This is the first report showing that inhibition of hepatic phospholipid biosynthesis attenuates atherosclerosis. ..
- Vance J, Vance D. Does rat liver Golgi have the capacity to synthesize phospholipids for lipoprotein secretion?. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:5898-909 pubmed..Synthesis of phosphatidylethanolamine via decarboxylation of phosphatidylserine does not appear to occur in Golgi. ..
- Cui Z, Houweling M, Vance D. Suppression of rat hepatoma cell growth by expression of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase-2. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:24531-3 pubmed..Thus, data from studies in cell culture and intact rats suggest a regulatory role for PEMT2 in hepatocyte cell growth and possibly in the development of liver cancer. ..
- Dolinsky V, Sipione S, Lehner R, Vance D. The cloning and expression of a murine triacylglycerol hydrolase cDNA and the structure of its corresponding gene. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1532:162-72 pubmed..The gene spans approx. 35 kb and contains 14 exons. The results will permit future studies on the function of this gene via gene-targeting experiments and analysis of transcriptional regulation of the TGH gene. ..
- Posse De Chaves E, Vance D, Campenot R, Kiss R, Vance J. Uptake of lipoproteins for axonal growth of sympathetic neurons. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:19883-90 pubmed..These studies demonstrate for the first time that lipids are taken up from lipoproteins by sympathetic neurons for use in axonal regeneration. ..
- Koonen D, Jacobs R, Febbraio M, Young M, Soltys C, Ong H, et al. Increased hepatic CD36 expression contributes to dyslipidemia associated with diet-induced obesity. Diabetes. 2007;56:2863-71 pubmed..As these CD36-mediated effects contribute to the dyslipidemia that often precedes the development of type 2 diabetes, increased hepatic CD36 expression likely plays a causative role in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Walkey C, Shields D, Vance D. Identification of three novel cDNAs for human phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase and localization of the human gene on chromosome 17p11.2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1436:405-12 pubmed..2. The identification of three different human cDNAs for PEMT2 suggests that understanding the function of PEMT2 will be more complicated than anticipated. ..
- Ling J, Zhu L, Vance D, Jacobs R. Impaired phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis does not attenuate liver regeneration after 70% partial hepatectomy in hepatic CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase-? deficient mice. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2012;90:1403-12 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CT? is not essential for proliferation of hepatocytes in vivo, and that basal hepatic PC biosynthesis is sufficient to sustain regeneration after 70% partial hepatectomy. ..
- Jacobs R, Devlin C, Tabas I, Vance D. Targeted deletion of hepatic CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase alpha in mice decreases plasma high density and very low density lipoproteins. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47402-10 pubmed..These results suggest an important role for hepatic CTalpha in regulating both hepatic and systemic lipid and lipoprotein metabolism. ..
- Noga A, Vance D. A gender-specific role for phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase-derived phosphatidylcholine in the regulation of plasma high density and very low density lipoproteins in mice. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21851-9 pubmed..These results suggest that, even though the content of hepatic PC was normal in PEMT-deficient mice, plasma lipoprotein levels were profoundly altered in a gender-specific manner. ..
- Waite K, Cabilio N, Vance D. Choline deficiency-induced liver damage is reversible in Pemt(-/-) mice. J Nutr. 2002;132:68-71 pubmed..Although the CD diet induces liver damage in Pemt(-/-)mice, this damage can be rapidly reversed by the addition of dietary choline. ..
- Whitlock K, Kozicky L, Jin A, Yee H, Ha C, Morris J, et al. Assessment of the mechanisms exerting glucose-lowering effects of dried peas in glucose-intolerant rats. Br J Nutr. 2012;108 Suppl 1:S91-102 pubmed publisher..NSC content appeared to have the most beneficial effects in improving glucose homeostasis but our ability to detect the effect of flavonoids may have been limited by their low concentration in the diet...
- Cole L, Vance D. A role for Sp1 in transcriptional regulation of phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase in liver and 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11880-91 pubmed publisher..In addition, our data established that Sp1 binding was required for tamoxifen-mediated inhibition of Pemt promoter activity. ..
- Wei E, Ben Ali Y, Lyon J, Wang H, Nelson R, Dolinsky V, et al. Loss of TGH/Ces3 in mice decreases blood lipids, improves glucose tolerance, and increases energy expenditure. Cell Metab. 2010;11:183-93 pubmed publisher..Tgh(-/-) mice have smaller sized pancreatic islets but maintain normal glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. These studies demonstrate the potential of TGH as a therapeutic target for lowering blood lipid levels. ..
- Cole L, Jacobs R, Vance D. Tamoxifen induces triacylglycerol accumulation in the mouse liver by activation of fatty acid synthesis. Hepatology. 2010;52:1258-65 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of fatty acid synthesis might, therefore, ameliorate steatosis/steatohepatitis in breast cancer patients treated with tamoxifen. ..
- Zordoky B, Anwar Mohamed A, Aboutabl M, El Kadi A. Acute doxorubicin toxicity differentially alters cytochrome P450 expression and arachidonic acid metabolism in rat kidney and liver. Drug Metab Dispos. 2011;39:1440-50 pubmed publisher..These changes can be attributed to DOX-induced inflammation and resulted in altered P450-mediated arachidonic acid metabolism. ..
- Cole L, Vance J, Vance D. Phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis and lipoprotein metabolism. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1821:754-61 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Triglyceride Metabolism and Disease. ..
- Kulinski A, Vance D, Vance J. A choline-deficient diet in mice inhibits neither the CDP-choline pathway for phosphatidylcholine synthesis in hepatocytes nor apolipoprotein B secretion. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23916-24 pubmed..Moreover, the amount and m activity of the cytidylyltransferase and methyltransferase were increased. The reduction in plasma apoB in mice deprived of dietary choline cannot, therefore, be attributed to decreased apoB secretion...
- Wu G, Aoyama C, Young S, Vance D. Early embryonic lethality caused by disruption of the gene for choline kinase alpha, the first enzyme in phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:1456-62 pubmed..Thus, Chka is an essential gene for early embryonic development, but adult mice do not require full expression of the gene for normal levels of phosphatidylcholine. ..
- Li Z, Agellon L, Vance D. Phosphatidylcholine homeostasis and liver failure. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:37798-802 pubmed..The ability of Mdr2(-/-)/Pemt(-/-) mice to survive complete choline deprivation suggests that acute lethality in CD-Pemt(-/-) mice results from rapid depletion of hepatic PC via biliary secretion. ..
- Doepel L, Lapierre H, Kennelly J. Peripartum performance and metabolism of dairy cows in response to prepartum energy and protein intake. J Dairy Sci. 2002;85:2315-34 pubmed..Increasing the protein content of the prepartum diet did not appear to confer any advantages to cow productivity...
- Addison W, Walters K, Wong W, Wilson J, Madej D, Jewell L, et al. Half-life of the duck hepatitis B virus covalently closed circular DNA pool in vivo following inhibition of viral replication. J Virol. 2002;76:6356-63 pubmed..Liver sections stained for the cell division marker PCNA showed that animals in which cccDNA loss was continuous had significantly greater numbers of PCNA-positive nuclei than did those animals in which cccDNA levels had plateaued...
- Vance D, Walkey C, Cui Z. Phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase from liver. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1348:142-50 pubmed..Several experimental approaches suggest that this enzyme might play a role in regulation of hepatocyte growth and cell division. ..
- Torchia E, Cheema S, Agellon L. Coordinate regulation of bile acid biosynthetic and recovery pathways. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;225:128-33 pubmed..These results suggest that in mice the bile acid recovery and biosynthetic pathways are coordinately regulated, and these pathways may be responsive to the size of the bile acid pool in the enterohepatic circulation. ..
- Yao Z, Vance D. Head group specificity in the requirement of phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis for very low density lipoprotein secretion from cultured hepatocytes. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:11373-80 pubmed..2 mM) and homocysteine (0.2 mM), indicating the utilization of a methyl group from betaine for PC formation via methylation of PE...
- Jacobs R, Lingrell S, Zhao Y, Francis G, Vance D. Hepatic CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase-alpha is a critical predictor of plasma high density lipoprotein and very low density lipoprotein. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2147-55 pubmed..The observations demonstrate that hepatic PC biosynthesis is a key player in maintaining plasma VLDL and HDL, and further underscores the importance of the liver in HDL formation...
- Erickson B, Selvan S, Ko K, Kelly K, Quiroga A, Li L, et al. Endoplasmic reticulum-localized hepatic lipase decreases triacylglycerol storage and VLDL secretion. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1831:1113-23 pubmed publisher..These data show that 1) hepatic lipase is active in the endoplasmic reticulum and 2) intracellular hepatic lipase modulates cellular lipid metabolism and lipoprotein secretion. ..
- Steenbergen R, Nanowski T, Nelson R, Young S, Vance J. Phospholipid homeostasis in phosphatidylserine synthase-2-deficient mice. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1761:313-23 pubmed
- Knoblach B, Keller B, Groenendyk J, Aldred S, Zheng J, Lemire B, et al. ERp19 and ERp46, new members of the thioredoxin family of endoplasmic reticulum proteins. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2003;2:1104-19 pubmed..Functional analysis with yeast complementation studies showed that ERp46 but not ERp19 can substitute for protein disulphide isomerase function in vivo. ..
- Jamil H, Vance D. Head-group specificity for feedback regulation of CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase. Biochem J. 1990;270:749-54 pubmed..The results provide further evidence for feedback regulation of phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis by phosphatidylcholine...
- van der Veen J, Lingrell S, Vance D. The membrane lipid phosphatidylcholine is an unexpected source of triacylglycerol in the liver. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:23418-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, lipoprotein-associated PC should be considered a quantitatively significant source of triacylglycerol for the etiology of hepatic steatosis. ..
- Young J, Yao S, Baldwin J, Cass C, Baldwin S. The human concentrative and equilibrative nucleoside transporter families, SLC28 and SLC29. Mol Aspects Med. 2013;34:529-47 pubmed publisher..This review describes the molecular and functional properties of the two transporter families, with a particular focus on their physiological roles in humans and relevance to disease treatment. ..
- van der Veen J, Kennelly J, Wan S, Vance J, Vance D, Jacobs R. The critical role of phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylethanolamine metabolism in health and disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017;1859:1558-1572 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Membrane Lipid Therapy: Drugs Targeting Biomembranes edited by Pablo V. Escribá. ..
- Al Bahrani R, Abuetabh Y, Zeitouni N, Sergi C. Cholangiocarcinoma: risk factors, environmental influences and oncogenesis. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2013;43:195-210 pubmed..Additional steps for the final development of CCA may also involve an increase of the mutation rate of tumor suppressor genes, such as TP53, and the evasion of apoptosis...
- Wang Y, Jacome Sosa M, Ruth M, Goruk S, Reaney M, Glimm D, et al. Trans-11 vaccenic acid reduces hepatic lipogenesis and chylomicron secretion in JCR:LA-cp rats. J Nutr. 2009;139:2049-54 pubmed publisher..The appreciable hypolipidemic benefits of VA may be attributed to a reduction in both intestinal CM and hepatic de novo lipogenesis pathways. ..
- Lo V, Erickson B, Thomason Hughes M, Ko K, Dolinsky V, Nelson R, et al. Arylacetamide deacetylase attenuates fatty-acid-induced triacylglycerol accumulation in rat hepatoma cells. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:368-77 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that fatty acids released by AADA-mediated hydrolysis of lipids are channeled for -oxidation rather than for the assembly of lipoproteins. ..
- Agellon L, Drozdowski L, Li L, Iordache C, Luong L, Clandinin M, et al. Loss of intestinal fatty acid binding protein increases the susceptibility of male mice to high fat diet-induced fatty liver. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1771:1283-8 pubmed..The results obtained demonstrate that loss of I-FABP renders male mice sensitive to high fat diet-induced fatty liver, and this effect is independent of hepatic L-FABP. ..
- Rieder C, Fliegel L. Transcriptional regulation of Na+/H+ exchanger expression in the intact mouse. Mol Cell Biochem. 2003;243:87-95 pubmed..The results suggest that AP-2alpha and COUP-TF1 are not critical to NHE1 expression in the late stage embryo and that other related transcription factors may function in regulation of the Na+/H+ exchanger. ..
- Corvi M, Soltys C, Berthiaume L. Regulation of mitochondrial carbamoyl-phosphate synthetase 1 activity by active site fatty acylation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:45704-12 pubmed..Inhibition of CPS 1 by long-chain fatty acyl-CoAs could reduce amino acid degradation and urea secretion, thereby contributing to nitrogen sparing during starvation. ..
- Hegadoren K, Baker G, Coutts R, Dewhurst W. Interactions of iprindole with fenfluramine metabolism in rat brain and liver. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 1991;16:5-11 pubmed..The results also emphasize the importance of considering drug-drug interactions in future research on fenfluramine...