Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell cycle proteins in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Topic: cell cycle proteins
- Makhnevych T, Ptak C, Lusk C, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. The role of karyopherins in the regulated sumoylation of septins. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:39-49 pubmed..We present a model in which Ulp1p is maintained at the NPC during interphase and transiently interacts with the septin ring during mitosis. ..
- Maeda T, Espino R, Chomey E, Luong L, Bano A, Meakins D, et al. Loss of p21WAF1/Cip1 in Gadd45-deficient keratinocytes restores DNA repair capacity. Carcinogenesis. 2005;26:1804-10 pubmed..These results support the hypothesis that Gadd45 enhances NER by negatively regulating basal p21 expression in keratinocytes. ..
- Khazanovich N, Bateman K, Chernaia M, Michalak M, James M. Crystal structure of the yeast cell-cycle control protein, p13suc1, in a strand-exchanged dimer. Structure. 1996;4:299-309 pubmed..A switch between levels of assembly may serve to coordinate the function of the CKS proteins in cell-cycle control. ..
- McManus K, Hendzel M. ATM-dependent DNA damage-independent mitotic phosphorylation of H2AX in normally growing mammalian cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:5013-25 pubmed
- Schlade Bartusiak K, Macintyre G, Zunich J, Cox D. A child with deletion (14)(q24.3q32.13) and auditory neuropathy. Am J Med Genet A. 2008;146A:117-23 pubmed..Detailed mapping in additional patients with 14q32 deletions and hearing loss could further define the candidate region. ..
- Wilton B, Campbell S, Van Buuren N, Garneau R, Furukawa M, Xiong Y, et al. Ectromelia virus BTB/kelch proteins, EVM150 and EVM167, interact with cullin-3-based ubiquitin ligases. Virology. 2008;374:82-99 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the ectromelia virus-encoded BTB/kelch proteins, EVM150 and EVM167, interact with cullin-3 potentially functioning to recruit unidentified substrates for ubiquitination...
- Scott R, Cairo L, Van de Vosse D, Wozniak R. The nuclear export factor Xpo1p targets Mad1p to kinetochores in yeast. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:21-9 pubmed publisher..These results reveal an important function for Xpo1p in mediating intranuclear transport events and identify a signaling pathway between kinetochores and NPCs. ..
- Cairo L, Wozniak R. The Nuclear Transport Factor Kap121 Is Required for Stability of the Dam1 Complex and Mitotic Kinetochore Bi-orientation. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2440-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that Kap121 stabilizes the Dam1 complex and participates in escorting it to spindle MTs. ..
- Mirzayans R, Scott A, Cameron M, Murray D. Induction of accelerated senescence by gamma radiation in human solid tumor-derived cell lines expressing wild-type TP53. Radiat Res. 2005;163:53-62 pubmed..g. HCT116, A172 and SKNSH) may lose their clonogenic potential in response to radiation-inflicted injury primarily through undergoing accelerated senescence. ..
- Price D, Chik C, Ho A. Norepinephrine induction of mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1 expression in rat pinealocytes: distinct roles of alpha- and beta-adrenergic receptors. Endocrinology. 2004;145:5723-33 pubmed
- Sopko R, Stuart D. Purification and characterization of the DNA binding domain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiosis-specific transcription factor Ndt80. Protein Expr Purif. 2004;33:134-44 pubmed
- Mei N, Lee J, Sun X, Xing J, Hanson J, Le X, et al. Genetic predisposition to the cytotoxicity of arsenic: the role of DNA damage and ATM. FASEB J. 2003;17:2310-2 pubmed..Furthermore, the lack of hypersensitivity to arsenic displayed by the other cell lines calls into question the hypothesis that DNA damage is a significant factor in arsenic cytotoxicity...
- Radcliffe C, Silva E, Campbell S. A method for assaying the sensitivity of Drosophila replication checkpoint mutants to anti-cancer and DNA-damaging drugs. Genome. 2002;45:881-9 pubmed..The mutants show distinct differences in their sensitivity to each of the drugs tested, suggesting an underlying complexity in the responses of individual checkpoint genes to genotoxic stress. ..
- Li L, Monckton E, Godbout R. A role for DEAD box 1 at DNA double-strand breaks. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:6413-25 pubmed publisher..We propose that DDX1 plays an RNA clearance role at DSB sites, thereby facilitating the template-guided repair of transcriptionally active regions of the genome. ..
- Stang S, Bottorff D, Stone J. Interaction of activated Ras with Raf-1 alone may be sufficient for transformation of rat2 cells. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:3047-55 pubmed..No evidence for cooperation between v-H-ras effector mutants was found. Signaling through the Raf1-MEK-mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade may be the only effector pathway contributing to RAS transformation in these cells. ..
- Li X, Zhuo R, Tiong S, Di Cara F, King Jones K, Hughes S, et al. The Smc5/Smc6/MAGE complex confers resistance to caffeine and genotoxic stress in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59866 pubmed publisher..Our insights into the SMC5/6 complex provide new challenges for understanding the role of this enigmatic chromatin factor in multi-cellular organisms. ..
- Cairo L, Ptak C, Wozniak R. Mitosis-specific regulation of nuclear transport by the spindle assembly checkpoint protein Mad1p. Mol Cell. 2013;49:109-20 pubmed publisher..We propose that a distinct branch of the SAC exists in which Mad1p senses unattached kinetochores and, by altering NPC transport activity, regulates the nuclear environment of the spindle. ..
- Khandani A, Mohtashami M, Camirand A. Inhibitor-2 induced M-phase arrest in Xenopus cycling egg extracts is dependent on MAPK activation. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2011;16:669-88 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results suggest a novel mechanism linking p42MAPK and PP1 pathways during M phase of the cell cycle. ..
- Minard L, Lin L, Schultz M. SWI/SNF and Asf1 independently promote derepression of the DNA damage response genes under conditions of replication stress. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21633 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results show that the DDR genes fall into a class in which Asf1 and SWI/SNF independently control transcriptional induction. ..
- Sopko R, Raithatha S, Stuart D. Phosphorylation and maximal activity of Saccharomyces cerevisiae meiosis-specific transcription factor Ndt80 is dependent on Ime2. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7024-40 pubmed..These data indicate that Ime2 plays a novel and previously unexpected role in promoting chromosome dissemination and progress through meiotic development by activating Ndt80. ..
- Hawryluk Gara L, Shibuya E, Wozniak R. Vertebrate Nup53 interacts with the nuclear lamina and is required for the assembly of a Nup93-containing complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2382-94 pubmed..On basis of these data, we propose a model in which Nup53 is positioned near the pore membrane and the lamina where it anchors an NPC subcomplex containing Nup93, Nup155, and Nup205. ..
- Iouk T, Kerscher O, Scott R, Basrai M, Wozniak R. The yeast nuclear pore complex functionally interacts with components of the spindle assembly checkpoint. J Cell Biol. 2002;159:807-19 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that the association of Mad1p with the NPC is not passive and that it plays a role in nuclear transport. ..
- Chan G, Yen T. The mitotic checkpoint: a signaling pathway that allows a single unattached kinetochore to inhibit mitotic exit. Prog Cell Cycle Res. 2003;5:431-9 pubmed..A single unattached kinetochore is proposed to amplify the "wait anaphase" signal through a kinase cascade involving checkpoint kinases such as hBubR1, hBub1 and Mps1. ..
- Sedgwick C, Rawluk M, Decesare J, Raithatha S, Wohlschlegel J, Semchuk P, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ime2 phosphorylates Sic1 at multiple PXS/T sites but is insufficient to trigger Sic1 degradation. Biochem J. 2006;399:151-60 pubmed..In addition, the expression of Ime2 in G1 arrested haploid cells does not promote the destruction of Sic1. These data support a model where Ime2 is necessary but not sufficient to promote Sic1 destruction during sporulation. ..
- Scott R, Lusk C, Dilworth D, Aitchison J, Wozniak R. Interactions between Mad1p and the nuclear transport machinery in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4362-74 pubmed..Our further analysis also showed that only the C terminus of Mad1p is required for SAC function and that the NPC, through Nup53p, may act to regulate the duration of the SAC response. ..
- Famulski J, Vos L, Sun X, Chan G. Stable hZW10 kinetochore residency, mediated by hZwint-1 interaction, is essential for the mitotic checkpoint. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:507-20 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we find that stable hZW10 kinetochore residency at prometaphase kinetochores is dependent on its interaction with hZwint-1, and is essential for mitotic checkpoint arrest. ..
- Famulski J, Chan G. Aurora B kinase-dependent recruitment of hZW10 and hROD to tensionless kinetochores. Curr Biol. 2007;17:2143-9 pubmed..We therefore conclude that Aurora B kinase activity is required for the accumulation of tension-sensitive mitotic-checkpoint components, such as hZW10 and hROD, in order to maintain mitotic-checkpoint arrest. ..
- Lin L, Minard L, Johnston G, Singer R, Schultz M. Asf1 can promote trimethylation of H3 K36 by Set2. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1116-29 pubmed publisher..This function of Asf1 promotes the switch from di- to trimethylation of H3 K36 at that gene. These results support the view that Set2 function in chromatin metabolism can intimately involve histone chaperone Asf1. ..
- Ismail I, Andrin C, McDonald D, Hendzel M. BMI1-mediated histone ubiquitylation promotes DNA double-strand break repair. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:45-60 pubmed publisher..These data uncover an unexpected link between the polycomb and the DNA damage response pathways, and suggest a novel function for BMI1 in maintaining genomic stability. ..
- Ho A, Terriff D, Price D, Wloka M, Chik C. The role of inducible repressor proteins in the adrenergic induction of arylalkylamine-N-acetyltransferase and mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase-1 in rat pinealocytes. Endocrinology. 2007;148:743-51 pubmed
- Price D, Jin Z, Rabinovitch S, Campbell S. Ectopic expression of the Drosophila Cdk1 inhibitory kinases, Wee1 and Myt1, interferes with the second mitotic wave and disrupts pattern formation during eye development. Genetics. 2002;161:721-31 pubmed..We also observed interactions with p53, which suggest that Wee1 and Myt1 activity can block apoptosis. ..
- McManus K, Stephens D, Adams N, Islam S, Freemont P, Hendzel M. The transcriptional regulator CBP has defined spatial associations within interphase nuclei. PLoS Comput Biol. 2006;2:e139 pubmed
- Stoica C, Carmichael J, Parker H, Pare J, Hobman T. Interactions between the RNA interference effector protein Ago1 and 14-3-3 proteins: consequences for cell cycle progression. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:37646-51 pubmed..We hypothesize that 14-3-3 proteins are required for Argonaute protein functions in cell cycle and/or gene-silencing pathways. ..
- Leung G, Brown J, Glover J, Kobor M. Rtt107 BRCT domains act as a targeting module in the DNA damage response. DNA Repair (Amst). 2016;37:22-32 pubmed publisher..Together this data revealed a key function of the Rtt107 BRCT domains for targeting of both itself and its interaction partners to DNA lesions. ..
- Ebinu J, Bottorff D, Chan E, Stang S, Dunn R, Stone J. RasGRP, a Ras guanyl nucleotide- releasing protein with calcium- and diacylglycerol-binding motifs. Science. 1998;280:1082-6 pubmed..RasGRP is expressed in the nervous system, where it may couple changes in DAG and possibly calcium concentrations to Ras activation. ..