Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on brain neoplasms in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Topic: brain neoplasms
- Zemp F, Lun X, McKenzie B, Zhou H, Maxwell L, Sun B, et al. Treating brain tumor-initiating cells using a combination of myxoma virus and rapamycin. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:904-20 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that MYXV in combination with rapamycin infects and kills both the BTICs and the differentiated compartments of GBM and may be an effective treatment even in TMZ-resistant patients. ..
- Moser J, Eystathioy T, Chan E, Fritzler M. Markers of mRNA stabilization and degradation, and RNAi within astrocytoma GW bodies. J Neurosci Res. 2007;85:3619-31 pubmed..Immunoprecipitation of astrocytoma GWBs suggested that Dicer, hDcp, LSm4, XRN1, SYNCRIP, and FMRP form a multiprotein complex. GWBs are likely involved in a number of regulatory mRNA pathways in astrocytes and astrocytoma cells. ..
- Sajedi M, Wolff J, Egeler R, Pinto A, Hughes R, Anderson R, et al. Congenital extrarenal non-central nervous system malignant rhabdoid tumor. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2002;24:316-20 pubmed..0 months (0-24 months). The only patient who survived had a localized tumor at initial diagnosis. Congenital, extrarenal, non-CNS MRTs are aggressive tumors with poor outcome. ..
- Cairncross G, Wang M, Shaw E, Jenkins R, Brachman D, Buckner J, et al. Phase III trial of chemoradiotherapy for anaplastic oligodendroglioma: long-term results of RTOG 9402. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:337-43 pubmed publisher..Anaplastic oligodendrogliomas, pure (AO) and mixed (anaplastic oligoastrocytoma [AOA]), are chemosensitive, especially if codeleted for 1p/19q, but whether patients live longer after chemoradiotherapy is unknown...
- Weller M, Butowski N, Tran D, Recht L, Lim M, Hirte H, et al. Rindopepimut with temozolomide for patients with newly diagnosed, EGFRvIII-expressing glioblastoma (ACT IV): a randomised, double-blind, international phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1373-1385 pubmed publisher..Combination approaches potentially including rindopepimut might be required to show efficacy of immunotherapy in glioblastoma. Celldex Therapeutics, Inc. ..
- Sarkar S, Mirzaei R, Zemp F, Wei W, Senger D, Robbins S, et al. Activation of NOTCH Signaling by Tenascin-C Promotes Growth of Human Brain Tumor-Initiating Cells. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3231-3243 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(12); 3231-43. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Kelly J, Stechishin O, Chojnacki A, Lun X, Sun B, Senger D, et al. Proliferation of human glioblastoma stem cells occurs independently of exogenous mitogens. Stem Cells. 2009;27:1722-33 pubmed publisher..This novel experimental system will permit the elucidation of additional constitutively activated mechanisms that promote GBM BTSC survival, self-renewal, and proliferation. ..
- Vieyra D, Senger D, Toyama T, Muzik H, Brasher P, Johnston R, et al. Altered subcellular localization and low frequency of mutations of ING1 in human brain tumors. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9:5952-61 pubmed
- Lun X, Alain T, Zemp F, Zhou H, Rahman M, Hamilton M, et al. Myxoma virus virotherapy for glioma in immunocompetent animal models: optimizing administration routes and synergy with rapamycin. Cancer Res. 2010;70:598-608 pubmed publisher..Our findings define a method to improve MYXV efficacy against gliomas by rapamycin coadministration, which acts to promote immune responses engaged by viral delivery. ..
- Barrera M, Atenafu E, Schulte F, Bartels U, Sung L, Janzen L, et al. Determinants of social competence in pediatric brain tumor survivors who participated in an intervention study. Support Care Cancer. 2017;25:2891-2898 pubmed publisher..Data from both informants identify determinants of social competence. These factors need to be considered in future interventions to help children better improve their social competence. ..
- Moser J, Fritzler M, Rattner J. Primary ciliogenesis defects are associated with human astrocytoma/glioblastoma cells. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:448 pubmed publisher..Further, we provide the first evidence that ciliogenesis is not an all or none process; rather defects can arrest this process at various points, particularly at the stage subsequent to basal body association with the plasma membrane. ..
- Sarkar S, Yong V. Reduction of protein kinase C delta attenuates tenascin-C stimulated glioma invasion in three-dimensional matrix. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31:311-7 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate PKCdelta as a therapeutic target to reduce MMP-12 expression and glioma invasiveness when tumor cells are stimulated by the TN-enriched glioma microenvironment. ..
- Zhou Y, Zhang J, Liu Q, Bell R, Muruve D, Forsyth P, et al. The chemokine GRO-alpha (CXCL1) confers increased tumorigenicity to glioma cells. Carcinogenesis. 2005;26:2058-68 pubmed..These results implicate GRO-alpha in gliomas and suggest that the dysregulation of a glia proliferative factor contributes to tumorigenesis. Targeting GRO-alpha may be a useful therapeutic tool to control brain tumor biology. ..
- Sarkar S, Döring A, Zemp F, Silva C, Lun X, Wang X, et al. Therapeutic activation of macrophages and microglia to suppress brain tumor-initiating cells. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:46-55 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the treatment of gliomas. ..
- Kelly J, Blough M, Stechishin O, Chan J, Beauchamp D, Perizzolo M, et al. Oligodendroglioma cell lines containing t(1;19)(q10;p10). Neuro Oncol. 2010;12:745-55 pubmed publisher..These lines may be important tools for understanding the biology of oligodendrogliomas and the function of their defining genetic traits...
- Lam J, Robinson S, Schell A, Vaughan S. Pulmonary neuroendocrine carcinoma mimicking neurocysticercosis: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2016;10:144 pubmed publisher..The absence of constitutional symptoms should not discount the possibility of malignancy from the differential diagnosis. ..
- Kleinman C, Gerges N, Papillon Cavanagh S, Sin Chan P, Pramatarova A, Quang D, et al. Fusion of TTYH1 with the C19MC microRNA cluster drives expression of a brain-specific DNMT3B isoform in the embryonal brain tumor ETMR. Nat Genet. 2014;46:39-44 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a potential oncogenic re-engagement of an early developmental program in ETMR via epigenetic alteration mediated by an embryonic, brain-specific DNMT3B isoform. ..
- Strother D. Atypical teratoid rhabdoid tumors of childhood: diagnosis, treatment and challenges. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2005;5:907-15 pubmed
- Stechishin O, Luchman H, Ruan Y, Blough M, Nguyen S, Kelly J, et al. On-target JAK2/STAT3 inhibition slows disease progression in orthotopic xenografts of human glioblastoma brain tumor stem cells. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:198-207 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the in vitro and in vivo efficacy of on-target JAK2/STAT3 inhibition in heterogeneous BTSC lines that closely emulate the genomic and tumorigenic characteristics of human GBM. ..
- Sarkar S, Nuttall R, Liu S, Edwards D, Yong V. Tenascin-C stimulates glioma cell invasion through matrix metalloproteinase-12. Cancer Res. 2006;66:11771-80 pubmed..These results identify a new factor, MMP-12, in regulating glioma invasiveness through interaction with tenascin-C. ..
- Verginelli F, Perin A, Dali R, Fung K, Lo R, Longatti P, et al. Transcription factors FOXG1 and Groucho/TLE promote glioblastoma growth. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2956 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that transcriptional programmes regulated by FOXG1 and Groucho/TLE are important for BTIC-initiated brain tumour growth, implicating FOXG1 and Groucho/TLE in GBM tumourigenesis. ..
- Lafay Cousin L, Strother D. Current treatment approaches for infants with malignant central nervous system tumors. Oncologist. 2009;14:433-44 pubmed publisher..Survival and neurocognitive outcome are emphasized. ..
- Lun X, Chan J, Zhou H, Sun B, Kelly J, Stechishin O, et al. Efficacy and safety/toxicity study of recombinant vaccinia virus JX-594 in two immunocompetent animal models of glioma. Mol Ther. 2010;18:1927-36 pubmed publisher..Before proceeding to clinical trials, JX-594 should be evaluated in the brains of nonhuman primates and optimized for the viral doses, delivery routes as well as the combination agents (e.g., mTOR inhibitors). ..
- Blough M, Beauchamp D, Westgate M, Kelly J, Cairncross J. Effect of aberrant p53 function on temozolomide sensitivity of glioma cell lines and brain tumor initiating cells from glioblastoma. J Neurooncol. 2011;102:1-7 pubmed publisher..P53 status may influence response to TMZ in differentiated cells in a GBM with a negligible affect on its initiating cells. ..
- Hader W, Drovini Zis K, Maguire J. Primitive neuroectodermal tumors in the central nervous system following cranial irradiation: a report of four cases. Cancer. 2003;97:1072-6 pubmed..The authors present four additional cases of PNETs that developed after previous cranial irradiation...