Experts and Doctors on body mass index in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Topic: body mass index
- Mager D, Yap J, Rodriguez Dimitrescu C, Mazurak V, Ball G, Gilmour S. Anthropometric measures of visceral and subcutaneous fat are important in the determination of metabolic dysregulation in boys and girls at risk for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Nutr Clin Pract. 2013;28:101-11 pubmed publisher..001). Comprehensive assessment of body composition, including measurement of surrogate markers of subcutaneous and visceral fat, provides information regarding metabolic dysregulation and liver disease risk in obese children with NAFLD. ..
- Salehi Abargouei A, Esmaillzadeh A, Azadbakht L, Keshteli A, Feizi A, Feinle Bisset C, et al. Nutrient patterns and their relation to general and abdominal obesity in Iranian adults: findings from the SEPAHAN study. Eur J Nutr. 2016;55:505-518 pubmed publisher..Further studies in other populations, along with future prospective studies, are required to confirm these findings. ..
- Seemann R, DiToppa J, Holm M, Hanson J. Does laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty work? An objective analysis using pre- and postoperative polysomnographic studies. J Otolaryngol. 2001;30:212-5 pubmed..Patients with preoperative RDI < 20 were successfully treated in only 25% of cases. ..
- Birch D. Characterizing laparoscopic incisional hernia repair. Can J Surg. 2007;50:195-201 pubmed..Although LVIHR may be challenging, it has the potential to be considered a primary approach for most ventral and incisional hernias, regardless of patient status or hernia complexity. ..
- Wilke M, French M, Goh Y, Ryan E, Jones P, Clandinin M. Synthesis of specific fatty acids contributes to VLDL-triacylglycerol composition in humans with and without type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2009;52:1628-37 pubmed publisher..The implications of this finding for our understanding of lipid metabolism in diabetes require further investigation. ..
- Vallance J, Eurich D, Lynch B, Gardiner P, Taylor L, Jefferis B, et al. Correlates of General and Domain-Specific Sitting Time among Older Adults. Am J Health Behav. 2016;40:362-70 pubmed publisher..1, 95% CI, 17.7 to 90.4, p = .004) and BMI (B = 4.1, 95% CI, .94 to 7.3, p = .011). Older adults reported low levels of sitting time. Different correlates emerged for the employed and unemployed samples across sitting domains. ..
- Campbell K, Westerlind K, Harber V, Bell G, Mackey J, Courneya K. Effects of aerobic exercise training on estrogen metabolism in premenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007;16:731-9 pubmed..Interestingly, an increase in lean body mass was associated with a favorable change in 2-OHE1 to 16alpha-OHE1 ratio. ..
- Martin L, Birdsell L, MacDonald N, Reiman T, Clandinin M, McCargar L, et al. Cancer cachexia in the age of obesity: skeletal muscle depletion is a powerful prognostic factor, independent of body mass index. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:1539-47 pubmed publisher..Patients with cancer who are cachexic by the conventional criterion (involuntary weight loss) and by two additional criteria (muscle depletion and low muscle attenuation) share a poor prognosis, regardless of overall body weight. ..
- Kuhle S, Kirk S, Ohinmaa A, Veugelers P. Comparison of ICD code-based diagnosis of obesity with measured obesity in children and the implications for health care cost estimates. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2011;11:173 pubmed publisher..An ICD diagnosis of obesity in Canadian administrative health data grossly underestimates the true prevalence of childhood obesity and overestimates the health care cost differential between obese and non-obese children. ..
- Sharma S, Sheehy T, Kolonel L. Ethnic differences in grains consumption and their contribution to intake of B-vitamins: results of the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Nutr J. 2013;12:65 pubmed publisher..S. Findings can be used to assess unhealthful food choices, to guide dietary recommendations, and to help reduce risk of chronic diseases in these populations. ..
- Padwal R, Klarenbach S, Wiebe N, Birch D, Karmali S, Manns B, et al. Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized trials. Obes Rev. 2011;12:602-21 pubmed publisher..Compared with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, adjustable gastric banding has lower weight loss efficacy, but also leads to fewer serious adverse effects. ..
- Padwal R, Sharma A. Prevention of cardiovascular disease: obesity, diabetes and the metabolic syndrome. Can J Cardiol. 2010;26 Suppl C:18C-20C pubmed..Future efforts will need to focus on these factors and pansocietal solutions will be required if success in reversing the population-wide weight increases that have occurred over the past several decades is to be achieved...
- Ball G, Lenk J, Barbarich B, Plotnikoff R, Fishburne G, Mackenzie K, et al. Overweight children and adolescents referred for weight management: are they meeting lifestyle behaviour recommendations?. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008;33:936-45 pubmed publisher..Intervention studies are needed to determine whether overweight boys and girls who achieve the lifestyle behaviour targets included in this study are able to successfully manage their weight and (or) reduce obesity-related health risks. ..
- Lynch B, Boyle T, Winkler E, Occleston J, Courneya K, Vallance J. Patterns and correlates of accelerometer-assessed physical activity and sedentary time among colon cancer survivors. Cancer Causes Control. 2016;27:59-68 pubmed publisher..The correlates and accumulation patterns described by this study may better inform interventions and translational research designed to increase physical activity and reduce sedentary behavior in colon cancer survivors. ..
- Terada T, Forhan M, Norris C, Qiu W, Padwal R, Sharma A, et al. Differences in Short- and Long-Term Mortality Associated With BMI Following Coronary Revascularization. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Greater long-term mortality in patients with obese class III following PCI, especially in those with high-risk coronary anatomy without diabetes mellitus, warrants further investigation. ..
- Kolt G, George E, Rebar A, Duncan M, Vandelanotte C, Caperchione C, et al. Associations between quality of life and duration and frequency of physical activity and sedentary behaviour: Baseline findings from the WALK 2.0 randomised controlled trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180072 pubmed publisher..Further prospective studies are required to investigate these associations in different population groups over time. ..
- Ball G, Ambler K, Keaschuk R, Rosychuk R, Holt N, Spence J, et al. Parents as agents of change (PAC) in pediatric weight management: the protocol for the PAC randomized clinical trial. BMC Pediatr. 2012;12:114 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01267097. ..
- Padwal R, Pajewski N, Allison D, Sharma A. Using the Edmonton obesity staging system to predict mortality in a population-representative cohort of people with overweight and obesity. CMAJ. 2011;183:E1059-66 pubmed publisher..The Edmonton obesity staging system may offer improved clinical utility in assessing obesity-related risk and prioritizing treatment. ..
- Kin T, O Gorman D, Zhai X, Pawlick R, Imes S, Senior P, et al. Nonsimultaneous administration of pancreas dissociation enzymes during islet isolation. Transplantation. 2009;87:1700-5 pubmed publisher..This beneficial effect of the modified method was, however, diminished when applied to younger donor pancreata. Our study brings new insight into the role of collagenase and noncollagenolytic protease on pancreas dissociation. ..
- Johnson S, Bell G, McCargar L, Welsh R, Bell R. Improved cardiovascular health following a progressive walking and dietary intervention for type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2009;11:836-43 pubmed publisher..Improvements in cardiovascular health can be expected following a pedometer-based lifestyle modification programme that progresses from walking more to walking faster. ..
- Baracos V, Reiman T, Mourtzakis M, Gioulbasanis I, Antoun S. Body composition in patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a contemporary view of cancer cachexia with the use of computed tomography image analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91:1133S-1137S pubmed publisher..The significance of muscle wasting in normal-weight, overweight, and obese patients as a nutritional risk factor, as a prognostic factor, and as a predictor of cancer treatment toxicity is discussed in this article. ..
- Fung E, Cave D, Witmans M, Gan K, El Hakim H. Postoperative respiratory complications and recovery in obese children following adenotonsillectomy for sleep-disordered breathing: a case-control study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010;142:898-905 pubmed publisher..Obesity in children significantly increases the risk of respiratory complications following surgery for sleep-disordered breathing. Overnight hospitalization for obese children is recommended. ..
- Carson V, Tremblay M, Chastin S. Cross-sectional associations between sleep duration, sedentary time, physical activity, and adiposity indicators among Canadian preschool-aged children using compositional analyses. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:848 pubmed publisher..Future research is needed to determine the optimal movement behaviour composition that should be promoted in this age group. ..
- Luyckx V, Bertram J, Brenner B, Fall C, Hoy W, Ozanne S, et al. Effect of fetal and child health on kidney development and long-term risk of hypertension and kidney disease. Lancet. 2013;382:273-83 pubmed publisher..Optimisation of maternal health and early childhood nutrition could, therefore, attenuate this programming cycle and reduce the global burden of hypertension and kidney disease in the future. ..
- Oster R, Virani S, Strong D, Shade S, Toth E. Diabetes care and health status of First Nations individuals with type 2 diabetes in Alberta. Can Fam Physician. 2009;55:386-93 pubmed..Our results justify the need for community-based screening for diabetes control and complications in First Nation communities. ..
- Anders S, Schroeter C. The impact of nutritional supplement intake on diet behavior and obesity outcomes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185258 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of the determinants of supplement demand in the context of strong diet-health trends should also be helpful to stakeholders in the U.S. produce sector in their competition over consumer market share...
- Raine K. Addressing poor nutrition to promote heart health: moving upstream. Can J Cardiol. 2010;26 Suppl C:21C-4C pubmed..While the evidence base for more upstream strategies continues to grow, key examples of comprehensive approaches to population change provide a call to action...
- Russell L, Broderick G, Taylor R, Fernandes H, Harvey J, Barnes Z, et al. Illness progression in chronic fatigue syndrome: a shifting immune baseline. BMC Immunol. 2016;17:3 pubmed publisher..These preliminary results suggest that IL-1Î±, 6 and 8 adjusted for illness duration may serve as robust biomarkers, independent of age, in screening for ME/CFS. ..
- Padwal R, Majumdar S, Klarenbach S, Birch D, Karmali S, McCargar L, et al. The Alberta population-based prospective evaluation of the quality of life outcomes and economic impact of bariatric surgery (APPLES) study: background, design and rationale. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:284 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our findings should be widely-applicable to other publically-funded jurisdictions providing similar care to the extremely obese. Clinicaltrials.gov NCT00850356. ..
- Vander Ploeg K, Maximova K, Kuhle S, Simen Kapeu A, Veugelers P. The importance of parental beliefs and support for physical activity and body weights of children: a population-based analysis. Can J Public Health. 2012;103:e277-81 pubmed..78, 95% CI: 0.68-0.89). Health promotion strategies that target parents to encourage and engage in PA with their children may increase activity levels and reduce overweight among children. ..
- Ball G, Spence N, Browne N, O CONNOR K, Srikameswaran S, Zelichowska J, et al. The readiness and motivation interview for families (RMI-Family) managing pediatric obesity: study protocol. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:261 pubmed publisher..Findings will help to create an innovative, tailored model of health care delivery that uses resources judiciously and is designed to best meet families' needs. ..
- Ambler K, Hagedorn D, Ball G. Referrals for pediatric weight management: the importance of proximity. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:302 pubmed publisher..Pediatric weight management services must be designed to optimize access to health services, especially for distant clients who may be at increased obesity-related health risk. ..
- Che M, Kong L, Bell R, Yuan Y. Trajectory modeling of gestational weight: A functional principal component analysis approach. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186761 pubmed publisher..Our regression analysis showed that prepregnancy BMI had a high predictive value for the weight changes during pregnancy, which agrees with the published weight gain guideline...
- Wiebe N, Padwal R, Field C, Marks S, Jacobs R, Tonelli M. A systematic review on the effect of sweeteners on glycemic response and clinically relevant outcomes. BMC Med. 2011;9:123 pubmed publisher..Studies are needed to determine the role of hypocaloric sweeteners in a wider population health strategy to prevent, reduce and manage obesity and its consequences. ..