Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Locale: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Publications432 found, 100 shown here
- Moore S, Sielecki A, Chernaia M, Tarasova N, James M. Crystal and molecular structures of human progastricsin at 1.62 A resolution. J Mol Biol. 1995;247:466-85 pubmed..This similarity likely carries over to all members of both the pepsinogen A and C families of aspartic proteinase zymogens. ..
- Cui Z, Vance J, Chen M, Voelker D, Vance D. Cloning and expression of a novel phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. A specific biochemical and cytological marker for a unique membrane fraction in rat liver. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:16655-63 pubmed..The data suggest that this phosphatidylethanolamine methyltransferase is a specific marker for this unique membrane fraction. ..
- Mears A, Jordan T, Mirzayans F, Dubois S, Kume T, Parlee M, et al. Mutations of the forkhead/winged-helix gene, FKHL7, in patients with Axenfeld-Rieger anomaly. Am J Hum Genet. 1998;63:1316-28 pubmed
- Archer S, Reeve H, Michelakis E, Puttagunta L, Waite R, Nelson D, et al. O2 sensing is preserved in mice lacking the gp91 phox subunit of NADPH oxidase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7944-9 pubmed..NADPH oxidase, though a major source of lung radical production, is not the pulmonary vascular O2 sensor in mice. ..
- Michelakis E, Weir E, Wu X, Nsair A, Waite R, Hashimoto K, et al. Potassium channels regulate tone in rat pulmonary veins. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;280:L1138-47 pubmed..We conclude that K(+) channels are present and functionally important in rat PVs. PVCMs form sphincters rich in K(ir) channels, which may modulate venous return both physiologically and in disease states including pulmonary edema...
- Pilarski L, Seeberger K, Coupland R, Eshpeter A, Keats J, Taylor B, et al. Leukemic B cells clonally identical to myeloma plasma cells are myelomagenic in NOD/SCID mice. Exp Hematol. 2002;30:221-8 pubmed..This supports the hypothesis that clonotypic MM B cells are reservoirs of disease that persist throughout therapy and give rise to relapse. ..
- Abraham T, Lewis R, Hodges R, McElhaney R. Isothermal titration calorimetry studies of the binding of the antimicrobial peptide gramicidin S to phospholipid bilayer membranes. Biochemistry. 2005;44:11279-85 pubmed..Finally, the relative binding affinities of GS for various phospholipid vesicles correlate relatively well with the relative lipid specificity for GS interactions with bacterial and erythrocyte membranes observed in vivo. ..
- Cho W, Daniel E. Colocalization between caveolin isoforms in the intestinal smooth muscle and interstitial cells of Cajal of the Cav1(+/+) and Cav1 (-/-) mouse. Histochem Cell Biol. 2006;126:9-16 pubmed..To conclude, cav1 is necessary for the expression of cav2 in SMC and ICC of intestine and facilitates, but is not necessary for the expression of cav3. ..
- French C, Erickson T, Callander D, Berry K, Koss R, Hagey D, et al. Pbx homeodomain proteins pattern both the zebrafish retina and tectum. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:85 pubmed..These data define a novel role for Pbx in patterning the vertebrate retina and tectum in a manner required for proper retinal ganglion cell axon outgrowth. ..
- Zordoky B, El Kadi A. H9c2 cell line is a valuable in vitro model to study the drug metabolizing enzymes in the heart. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2007;56:317-22 pubmed..Therefore, this cell line offers a valuable in vitro model to study the metabolic capacity of the heart. ..
- Davis M, Yang P, Chen L, O Keefe S, Hodgetts R. The orphan nuclear receptor DHR38 influences transcription of the DOPA decarboxylase gene in epidermal and neural tissues of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2007;50:1049-60 pubmed..Ectopic expression of DHR38 throughout the CNS induced as much as a 20-fold increase in Ddc transcripts in the set of neurons in which DDC normally appears. ..
- Cadili A, Kneteman N. The role of macrophages in xenograft rejection. Transplant Proc. 2008;40:3289-93 pubmed publisher..Macrophages, which are cells of the innate immune system, play a role in all 3 types of xenograft rejection (not just CXR). They impart their effects both directly and through T-cell activation. ..
- Bohaychuk V, Bradbury R, Dimock R, Fehr M, Gensler G, King R, et al. A microbiological survey of selected Alberta-grown fresh produce from farmers' markets in Alberta, Canada. J Food Prot. 2009;72:415-20 pubmed..4% for carrots to 27.1% for spinach. Salmonella, E. coli O157:H7, and Campylobacter spp. were not isolated from any of the samples. Cryptosporidium was identified by PCR in one sample of spinach (0.6% of the samples). ..
- Murdoch B, Clawson M, Laegreid W, Stothard P, Settles M, McKay S, et al. A 2cM genome-wide scan of European Holstein cattle affected by classical BSE. BMC Genet. 2010;11:20 pubmed publisher..Further investigation of loci on chromosomes 2, 14, 16, 20, 21 and 28 will be required to uncover any biological significance underlying these marker associations. ..
- Falamarzian A, Lavasanifar A. Optimization of the hydrophobic domain in poly(ethylene oxide)-poly(varepsilon-caprolactone) based nano-carriers for the solubilization and delivery of Amphotericin B. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2010;81:313-20 pubmed publisher..In contrast Fungizone showed 90% hemolysis at 30 microg/mL AmB concentration. Based on the improved solubility and reduced hemolytic activity, the MePEO-b-PChCL nano-carriers are considered as optimum structures for AmB delivery. ..
- Wu P, Wee P, Jiang J, Chen X, Wang Z. Differential regulation of transcription factors by location-specific EGF receptor signaling via a spatio-temporal interplay of ERK activation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41354 pubmed publisher..We conclude that location-specific EGFR activation differentially regulates cell functions through a spatio-temporal interplay of ERK activation. ..
- Ali M, Kandasamy A, Fan X, Schulz R. Hydrogen peroxide-induced necrotic cell death in cardiomyocytes is independent of matrix metalloproteinase-2. Toxicol In Vitro. 2013;27:1686-92 pubmed publisher..In conclusion hydrogen peroxide increases MMP-2 level/activity in cardiomyocytes and induces necrotic cell death, however, the later effect is MMP-2 independent. ..
- Petrov T, Howarth A, Krukoff T, Stevenson B. Distribution of the tight junction-associated protein ZO-1 in circumventricular organs of the CNS. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1994;21:235-46 pubmed..The ZO-1 staining pattern in blood vessels and ventricular walls of the circumventricular organs is heterogeneous despite the prevalent absence of a functional blood-brain barrier. ..
- Everett H, Barry M, Lee S, Sun X, Graham K, Stone J, et al. M11L: a novel mitochondria-localized protein of myxoma virus that blocks apoptosis of infected leukocytes. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1487-98 pubmed..We suggest that apoptosis of tissue macrophages represents an important antiviral defense, and that the inhibition of apoptosis by viral proteins can be directed in a cell-specific fashion. ..
- Corvi M, Soltys C, Berthiaume L. Regulation of mitochondrial carbamoyl-phosphate synthetase 1 activity by active site fatty acylation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:45704-12 pubmed..Inhibition of CPS 1 by long-chain fatty acyl-CoAs could reduce amino acid degradation and urea secretion, thereby contributing to nitrogen sparing during starvation. ..
- Maier S, Podemski L, Graham S, McDermid H, Locke J. Characterization of the adenosine deaminase-related growth factor (ADGF) gene family in Drosophila. Gene. 2001;280:27-36 pubmed..Our analysis predicts the existence of several other unsampled ADGF-like genes, both within the species examined here, and in other related invertebrates. ..
- Bowen R, Clandinin M. Dietary low linolenic acid compared with docosahexaenoic acid alter synaptic plasma membrane phospholipid fatty acid composition and sodium-potassium ATPase kinetics in developing rats. J Neurochem. 2002;83:764-74 pubmed..It is concluded that dietary AA + DHA does not alter SPM cholesterol and phospholipid content but increases the 22:6n-3 content of SPM phospholipids modulating activity of Na,K-ATPase. ..
- Vance J, Vance D. Phospholipid biosynthesis in mammalian cells. Biochem Cell Biol. 2004;82:113-28 pubmed..Finally, the two base-exchange enzymes, phosphatidylserine synthase-1 and phosphatidylserine synthase-2, that synthesize phosphatidylserine in mammalian cells are also discussed. ..
- Russell J, Kelly S, Schafer S. Vasopeptidase inhibition improves insulin sensitivity and endothelial function in the JCR:LA-cp rat. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2004;44:258-65 pubmed..Whereas ramipril had limited vascular effects, AVE7688 had more marked beneficial vascular effects, probably of endothelial origin and possibly related to lowered insulin levels. ..
- Karten B, Campenot R, Vance D, Vance J. Expression of ABCG1, but not ABCA1, correlates with cholesterol release by cerebellar astroglia. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:4049-57 pubmed..Our observations indicate that partially lipidated apoE, secreted directly by glia, is likely to be the major extracellular acceptor of cholesterol released from glia in a process mediated by ABCG1...
- Folmes C, Clanachan A, Lopaschuk G. Fatty acids attenuate insulin regulation of 5'-AMP-activated protein kinase and insulin cardioprotection after ischemia. Circ Res. 2006;99:61-8 pubmed..We demonstrate that the cardioprotective effect of insulin and its ability to inhibit AMPK activity are lost in the presence of high concentrations of fatty acids. ..
- Pakan J, Iwaniuk A, Wylie D, Hawkes R, Marzban H. Purkinje cell compartmentation as revealed by zebrin II expression in the cerebellar cortex of pigeons (Columba livia). J Comp Neurol. 2007;501:619-30 pubmed..These data are compared with studies of zebrin II expression in other species, as well as physiological and neuroanatomical studies that address the parasagittal organization of the pigeon cerebellum. ..
- Eftimie R, de Vries G, Lewis M. Complex spatial group patterns result from different animal communication mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:6974-9 pubmed..However, most of the patterns have not been reported previously. We call these patterns zigzag pulses, semizigzag pulses, breathers, traveling breathers, and feathers. ..
- Ebeling C, Lam T, Gordon J, Hollenberg M, Vliagoftis H. Proteinase-activated receptor-2 promotes allergic sensitization to an inhaled antigen through a TNF-mediated pathway. J Immunol. 2007;179:2910-7 pubmed..Interfering with this pathway may prove to be useful for the prevention or treatment of allergic diseases. ..
- Hunt T, Urbanowski M, Kakani K, Law L, Brinton M, Hobman T. Interactions between the West Nile virus capsid protein and the host cell-encoded phosphatase inhibitor, I2PP2A. Cell Microbiol. 2007;9:2756-66 pubmed..Given the central role of this phosphatase in cellular physiology, capsid/I(2)(PP2A) interactions may yet prove to be important for viral pathogenesis. ..
- Truong W, Plester J, Hancock W, Kaye J, Merani S, Murphy K, et al. Negative and positive co-signaling with anti-BTLA (PJ196) and CTLA4Ig prolongs islet allograft survival. Transplantation. 2007;84:1368-72 pubmed..The combination of BTLA coinhibitory modulation and CTLA4Ig costimulatory blockade may be an effective adjunctive strategy for inducing long-term allograft survival. ..
- Iwaniuk A, Heesy C, Hall M, Wylie D. Relative Wulst volume is correlated with orbit orientation and binocular visual field in birds. J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol. 2008;194:267-82 pubmed..Overall, our results indicate that relative Wulst volume reflects orbit orientation and possibly binocular visual field, but not eye size...
- Slugoski M, Ng A, Yao S, Lin C, Mulinta R, Cass C, et al. Substituted cysteine accessibility method analysis of human concentrative nucleoside transporter hCNT3 reveals a novel discontinuous region of functional importance within the CNT family motif (G/A)XKX3NEFVA(Y/M/F). J Biol Chem. 2009;284:17281-92 pubmed publisher
- Arbour V. Estimating impact forces of tail club strikes by ankylosaurid dinosaurs. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6738 pubmed publisher..Ankylosaurid tail clubs are composed of interlocking vertebrae, which form the handle, and large terminal osteoderms, which form the knob...
- Gordon T. The physiology of neural injury and regeneration: The role of neurotrophic factors. J Commun Disord. 2010;43:265-73 pubmed publisher..Readers of this article will gain an understanding of the basis for poor functional outcomes of peripheral nerve injuries, even when surgical repair is possible. ..
- Cole L, Jacobs R, Vance D. Tamoxifen induces triacylglycerol accumulation in the mouse liver by activation of fatty acid synthesis. Hepatology. 2010;52:1258-65 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of fatty acid synthesis might, therefore, ameliorate steatosis/steatohepatitis in breast cancer patients treated with tamoxifen. ..
- Odenbach J, Wang X, Cooper S, Chow F, Oka T, Lopaschuk G, et al. MMP-2 mediates angiotensin II-induced hypertension under the transcriptional control of MMP-7 and TACE. Hypertension. 2011;57:123-30 pubmed publisher..This suggests a functional specialization of MMP-2 in agonist-induced cardiovascular disease development that has potential implications for the design of metalloproteinase-based therapeutic strategies. ..
- Zwicker J, Rajani V, Hahn L, Funk G. Purinergic modulation of preBötzinger complex inspiratory rhythm in rodents: the interaction between ATP and adenosine. J Physiol. 2011;589:4583-600 pubmed publisher..Data also suggest therapeutic potential may derive from methods that alter the ATP-ADO balance to favour the excitatory actions of ATP. ..
- Persons W, Currie P. Dinosaur speed demon: the caudal musculature of Carnotaurus sastrei and implications for the evolution of South American abelisaurids. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25763 pubmed publisher..Examination of these vertebral traits in evolutionary context reveals a progressive sequence of increasing caudofemoral mass and tail rigidity among the Abelisauridae of South America...
- Mays C, Joy S, Li L, Yu L, Genovesi S, West F, et al. Prion inhibition with multivalent PrPSc binding compounds. Biomaterials. 2012;33:6808-22 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, several compounds in our series increased PrP(Sc) levels. Overall, inhibitory and enhancing properties of these multivalent compounds offer new avenues for structure-based investigation of prion biology. ..
- Su M, Oh P, Walter J, Ganzle M. Intestinal origin of sourdough Lactobacillus reuteri isolates as revealed by phylogenetic, genetic, and physiological analysis. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:6777-80 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that sourdough isolates of L. reuteri are of intestinal origin. ..
- Dromparis P, Paulin R, Stenson T, Haromy A, Sutendra G, Michelakis E. Attenuating endoplasmic reticulum stress as a novel therapeutic strategy in pulmonary hypertension. Circulation. 2013;127:115-25 pubmed publisher..Attenuating ER stress with clinically used chemical chaperones may be a novel therapeutic strategy in pulmonary hypertension with high translational potential. ..
- Russell J, Koeslag D, Manickavel V, Amy R, Dolphin P. Effects of advancing age and severe food restriction on pathological processes in the insulin resistant JCR:LA-corpulent rat. Diabetes Res. 1990;15:53-62 pubmed..The food restriction throughout life up to 12 months of age, however, did inhibit the development of advanced myocardial lesions. ..
- Upton C, Macen J, Wishart D, McFadden G. Myxoma virus and malignant rabbit fibroma virus encode a serpin-like protein important for virus virulence. Virology. 1990;179:618-31 pubmed
- Rabinovitch A, Suarez Pinzon W, Sorensen O, Bleackley R. Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in pancreatic islets of nonobese diabetic mice: identification of iNOS- expressing cells and relationships to cytokines expressed in the islets. Endocrinology. 1996;137:2093-9 pubmed
- Tabiri H, Bertolo R, Ball R, Korver D. Development of the indicator amino acid oxidation technique in chickens: calibration of oxidation system and determination of bicarbonate retention factor. Poult Sci. 2002;81:1020-5 pubmed..Because 14% of infused 14C is retained within the body, the present results demonstrate the need to determine bicarbonate retention in chickens during oxidation studies and use it as a correction factor in subsequent experiments. ..
- Light P, Manning Fox J, Riedel M, Wheeler M. Glucagon-like peptide-1 inhibits pancreatic ATP-sensitive potassium channels via a protein kinase A- and ADP-dependent mechanism. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2135-44 pubmed..The marked alteration of the PKA-mediated effects at different ADP levels may provide a cellular mechanism for the glucose-sensitivity of GLP-1...
- Unniappan S, Cerdá Reverter J, Peter R. In situ localization of preprogalanin mRNA in the goldfish brain and changes in its expression during feeding and starvation. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2004;136:200-7 pubmed..The presence of preprogalanin mRNA in brain nuclei involved in the regulation of food intake and pituitary hormone secretion suggests important physiological roles for galanin in goldfish. ..
- Janowska Wieczorek A, Wysoczynski M, Kijowski J, Marquez Curtis L, Machalinski B, Ratajczak J, et al. Microvesicles derived from activated platelets induce metastasis and angiogenesis in lung cancer. Int J Cancer. 2005;113:752-60 pubmed..Based on these findings, we suggest that PMV play an important role in tumor progression/metastasis and angiogenesis in lung cancer. ..
- Mosher T, Hayes D, Greenshaw A. Differential effects of 5-HT2C receptor ligands on place conditioning and locomotor activity in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005;515:107-16 pubmed..c.) or GR 127935 (3.0 mg/kg s.c.). Behaviourally relevant levels of 5-HT2C receptor stimulation may not exert reinforcing effects, although other studies indicate that such manipulations alter reinforcing effects of drugs of abuse. ..
- El Yazbi A, Cho W, Boddy G, Schulz R, Daniel E. Impact of caveolin-1 knockout on NANC relaxation in circular muscles of the mouse small intestine compared with longitudinal muscles. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006;290:G394-403 pubmed..However, both ODQ and apamin blocked the inhibitory effects of the NO donors in LM, whereas apamin had no effect in CM. In conclusion, cav1 knockout affects NO function in both LM and CM, but its effects in CM differ significantly. ..
- Tamimi Y, Skarie J, Footz T, Berry F, Link B, Walter M. FGF19 is a target for FOXC1 regulation in ciliary body-derived cells. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:3229-40 pubmed..This study reveals an important role for FOXC1 in the direct regulation of the FGF19-FGFR4-MAPK pathway to promote both the development and maintenance of anterior segment structures within the eye. ..
- Yiannakoulias N, Svenson L. West Nile virus: strategies for predicting municipal-level infection. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1102:135-48 pubmed..We suggest that spatial models based on administrative data can offer estimates of relative risk in human populations at less cost, and in a timelier manner than estimates based on serology specimens. ..
- Gharavi N, El Kadi A. Role of nitric oxide in downregulation of cytochrome P450 1a1 and NADPH: Quinone oxidoreductase 1 by tumor necrosis factor-alpha and lipopolysaccharide. J Pharm Sci. 2007;96:2795-807 pubmed..These results show that NO, but not peroxynitrite, may be involved in TNF-alpha- and LPS-mediated downregulation of Cyp1a1 without affecting the downregulation of Nqo1. ..
- Leon H, Baczkó I, Sawicki G, Light P, Schulz R. Inhibition of matrix metalloproteinases prevents peroxynitrite-induced contractile dysfunction in the isolated cardiac myocyte. Br J Pharmacol. 2008;153:676-83 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that inhibition of MMPs protects the cardiac myocyte from ONOO(-)-induced contractile failure via an action unrelated to proteolysis of extracellular matrix proteins. ..
- Thebaud B, Wu X, Kajimoto H, Bonnet S, Hashimoto K, Michelakis E, et al. Developmental absence of the O2 sensitivity of L-type calcium channels in preterm ductus arteriosus smooth muscle cells impairs O2 constriction contributing to patent ductus arteriosus. Pediatr Res. 2008;63:176-81 pubmed..We conclude that the CaL in term rabbit and human DASMCs is directly O2 sensitive. Functional immaturity of CaL O2 sensitivity contributes to impaired O2 constriction in premature DA and can be reversed by BAY K8644. ..
- Emamaullee J, Davis J, Merani S, Toso C, Elliott J, Thiesen A, et al. Inhibition of Th17 cells regulates autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice. Diabetes. 2009;58:1302-11 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that Th17 cells are involved in the pathogenesis of autoimmune diabetes. Further development of Th17-targeted therapeutic agents may be of benefit in this disease. ..
- Slupsky C, Cheypesh A, Chao D, Fu H, Rankin K, Marrie T, et al. Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia induce distinct metabolic responses. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:3029-36 pubmed publisher..These results underline the potential of metabolomics as a tool for diagnosis, health monitoring, and drug development, and show its usefulness for understanding microbial-host interactions...
- Casey J, Sly W, Shah G, Alvarez B. Bicarbonate homeostasis in excitable tissues: role of AE3 Cl-/HCO3- exchanger and carbonic anhydrase XIV interaction. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;297:C1091-102 pubmed publisher..Association of AE3 and CAXIV may represent a mechanism to enhance disposal of waste CO(2) and to balance pH in excitable tissues. ..
- Pearson K, Gramlich R. Updating neural representations of objects during walking. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1198:1-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that motor pattern generation for walking occurs within a framework of a body schema that constantly informs pattern generating networks about the geometry of the body and the location of near objects relative to the body. ..
- Dauber B, Pelletier J, Smiley J. The herpes simplex virus 1 vhs protein enhances translation of viral true late mRNAs and virus production in a cell type-dependent manner. J Virol. 2011;85:5363-73 pubmed publisher..The varied permissivity of cell lines to vhs-null infection may stem from differences in the resilience of the translation machinery or the ability to control the accumulation of mRNAs. ..
- Tahbaz N, Subedi S, Weinfeld M. Role of polynucleotide kinase/phosphatase in mitochondrial DNA repair. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:3484-95 pubmed publisher..We further show that PNKP associates with the mitochondrial protein mitofilin. Interaction with mitofilin may serve to translocate PNKP into mitochondria. ..
- Zhang H, Li X, Le X. Binding-induced DNA assembly and its application to yoctomole detection of proteins. Anal Chem. 2012;84:877-84 pubmed publisher..By incorporating unique signaling and structural features into the DNA motifs, we envision diverse applications in biosensing and nanotechnology. ..
- ..The role of GH in avian growth is therefore still unclear. ..
- Knight J, Richter S, Wuest M, Way J, Wuest F. Synthesis and evaluation of an 18F-labelled norbornene derivative for copper-free click chemistry reactions. Org Biomol Chem. 2013;11:3817-25 pubmed publisher..This radiolabelled compound exhibits both high bioavailability and metabolic stability with approximately 90% remaining intact up to 30 min following administration. ..
- Kienesberger P, Pulinilkunnil T, Nagendran J, Young M, Bogner Strauss J, Hackl H, et al. Early structural and metabolic cardiac remodelling in response to inducible adipose triglyceride lipase ablation. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;99:442-51 pubmed publisher..This study shows that acquired cardiomyocyte-specific ATGL deficiency in adult mice is sufficient to promote fibrotic and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and impair myocardial FAO in the absence of markedly reduced PPAR? signalling. ..
- Mori J, Patel V, Ramprasath T, Alrob O, Desaulniers J, Scholey J, et al. Angiotensin 1-7 mediates renoprotection against diabetic nephropathy by reducing oxidative stress, inflammation, and lipotoxicity. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014;306:F812-21 pubmed publisher..ANG 1-7 treatment exerts renoprotective effects on diabetic nephropathy, associated with reduction of oxidative stress, inflammation, fibrosis, and lipotoxicity. ANG 1-7 can represent a promising therapy for diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Lu L, Kulka M, Unsworth L. Peptide-mediated mast cell activation: ligand similarities for receptor recognition and protease-induced regulation. J Leukoc Biol. 2017;102:237-251 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the structures of known peptide stimuli and the receptors with which they interact for the express purpose of highlighting peptide elements as building blocks for tissue engineering applications. ..
- Upton C, Macen J, Schreiber M, McFadden G. Myxoma virus expresses a secreted protein with homology to the tumor necrosis factor receptor gene family that contributes to viral virulence. Virology. 1991;184:370-82 pubmed
- Nargang C, Bottorff D, Adachi K. Isolation and characterization of a cDNA clone coding for the calcium-binding subunit of calcineurin from bovine brain: an identical amino acid sequence to the human protein. DNA Seq. 1994;4:313-8 pubmed..3 kb in length. This is in agreement with the observation of only one immunologically detectable subunit B protein in bovine brain (Matsui et al., 1985). ..
- Bleoo S, Sun X, Hendzel M, Rowe J, Packer M, Godbout R. Association of human DEAD box protein DDX1 with a cleavage stimulation factor involved in 3'-end processing of pre-MRNA. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:3046-59 pubmed..These studies are the first to identify a DEAD box protein associating with factors involved in 3'-end cleavage and polyadenylation of pre-mRNAs. ..
- Daniel E, Bodie G, Mannarino M, Boddy G, Cho W. Changes in membrane cholesterol affect caveolin-1 localization and ICC-pacing in mouse jejunum. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004;287:G202-10 pubmed..The effects of each agent were reversed in major part by the other. We conclude that signaling through caveolae may play a role in pacing by ICC but does not affect responses to acetylcholine from nerves or when added exogenously. ..
- Abdel Latif D, Steward M, Macdonald D, Francis G, Dinauer M, Lacy P. Rac2 is critical for neutrophil primary granule exocytosis. Blood. 2004;104:832-9 pubmed..These findings suggest an obligatory role for Rac2 in regulation of primary granule release by neutrophils. ..
- Tresguerres M, Katoh F, Fenton H, Jasinska E, Goss G. Regulation of branchial V-H(+)-ATPase, Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase and NHE2 in response to acid and base infusions in the Pacific spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias). J Exp Biol. 2005;208:345-54 pubmed..Western analysis in gill membranes from HCl-infused fish also revealed increased abundance of Na(+)/H(+) exchanger 2 (213+/-5%) and Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase (315+/-88%) compared to the control...
- Hidalgo L, Urmson J, Halloran P. IFN-gamma decreases CTL generation by limiting IL-2 production: A feedback loop controlling effector cell production. Am J Transplant. 2005;5:651-61 pubmed..This creates a feedback loop in which effectors produce IFN-gamma that limits IL-2 production which in turn limits CTL generation. ..
- Puente L, Mireau L, Lysechko T, Ostergaard H. Phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase regulates PKCtheta activity in cytotoxic T cells. Mol Immunol. 2005;42:1177-84 pubmed..Our data indicate that phosphorylation of PKCtheta is not a suitable surrogate measurement for PKCtheta activity and that additional, yet to be defined steps, are required for the regulation of PKCtheta enzymatic activity in CTL. ..
- Emamaullee J, Liston P, Korneluk R, Shapiro A, Elliott J. XIAP overexpression in islet beta-cells enhances engraftment and minimizes hypoxia-reperfusion injury. Am J Transplant. 2005;5:1297-305 pubmed..21 days for Ad-betaGal transduced cells. This approach may allow more efficient use of the limited existing supply of human islets. ..
- Zhao X, Claude A, Chun J, Shields D, Presley J, Melancon P. GBF1, a cis-Golgi and VTCs-localized ARF-GEF, is implicated in ER-to-Golgi protein traffic. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:3743-53 pubmed..Strikingly, microinjection of anti-GBF1 antibodies specifically caused dissociation of COPI from membranes. These observations strongly suggest that GBF1 regulates COPI membrane recruitment in the early secretory pathway. ..
- Shahhosseini S, Guttikonda S, Bhatnagar P, Suresh M. Production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies against shope fibroma virus superoxide dismutase and glutathione-s-transferase. J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2006;9:165-8 pubmed
- Carter J, Demizieux L, Campenot R, Vance D, Vance J. Phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis via CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase 2 facilitates neurite outgrowth and branching. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:202-12 pubmed..These results highlight the importance of CTbeta2 in neurons for promoting neurite outgrowth and branching and represent the first identification of a lipid biosynthetic enzyme that facilitates these functions. ..
- Truong W, Plester J, Hancock W, Merani S, Murphy T, Murphy K, et al. Combined coinhibitory and costimulatory modulation with anti-BTLA and CTLA4Ig facilitates tolerance in murine islet allografts. Am J Transplant. 2007;7:2663-74 pubmed..We conclude that targeting the BTLA pathway in conjunction with CTLA4Ig costimulatory blockade may be a useful strategy for promoting immunological tolerance in murine islet allografts. ..
- El Yazbi A, Cho W, Cena J, Schulz R, Daniel E. Smooth muscle NOS, colocalized with caveolin-1, modulates contraction in mouse small intestine. J Cell Mol Med. 2008;12:1404-15 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the activation of nNOS, localized in smooth muscle caveolae, by calcium entering through L-type calcium channels triggers nitric oxide production which modulates muscle contraction by a cGMP-dependent mechanism. ..
- Chee M, Mörl K, Lindner D, Merten N, Zamponi G, Light P, et al. The third intracellular loop stabilizes the inactive state of the neuropeptide Y1 receptor. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:33337-46 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal the active participation of the ICL3 in the stabilization and activation of Class I GPCRs. ..
- Yamashita H, Wang Z, Wang Y, Segawa M, Kusudo T, Kontani Y. Induction of fatty acid-binding protein 3 in brown adipose tissue correlates with increased demand for adaptive thermogenesis in rodents. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;377:632-635 pubmed publisher..FABP3 appears to be essential for accelerating fatty acid flux and its oxidation through UCP1 activity for non-shivering thermogenesis in BAT. ..
- Utsuno K, UludaÄŸ H. Thermodynamics of polyethylenimine-DNA binding and DNA condensation. Biophys J. 2010;99:201-7 pubmed publisher..88 kJ/mol for the second binding mode. This result implies that the PEI is rearranged from the groove to the phosphate backbone of DNA when DNA is condensed. The mechanism of DNA condensation caused by PEI is discussed in this study. ..
- Dolinsky V, Morton J, Oka T, Robillard Frayne I, Bagdan M, Lopaschuk G, et al. Calorie restriction prevents hypertension and cardiac hypertrophy in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Hypertension. 2010;56:412-21 pubmed publisher..As a result, CR may serve as an effective nonpharmacological treatment of hypertension, and targeting the adiponectin/AMPK/eNOS pathway may improve treatment of hypertension...
- Yan L, Lamb R. Signalling by amino acid nutrients. Biochem Soc Trans. 2011;39:443-5 pubmed publisher..Thus PP2A is a negative regulator of both MAP4K3 and TPL-2 in both mTORC1 and MEK/ERK signalling pathways. ..
- Bouvet V, Wuest M, Wuest F. Copper-free click chemistry with the short-lived positron emitter fluorine-18. Org Biomol Chem. 2011;9:7393-9 pubmed publisher..Reaction proceeded best in methanol (>95% yield after 15 min at room temperature), whereas reaction in BSA required longer reaction times of 60 min and 40 °C upon completion. ..
- Williams K, Wilson E, Davidson C, Aguilar O, Fu L, Carlyle J, et al. Poxvirus infection-associated downregulation of C-type lectin-related-b prevents NK cell inhibition by NK receptor protein-1B. J Immunol. 2012;188:4980-91 pubmed publisher..Together, these results provide the second example of Clr-b modulation during viral infection and suggest reductions of Clr-b may be involved in sensitizing poxvirus-infected cells to NK cells. ..