Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
Locale: Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
Publications315 found, 100 shown here
- Simões Ambrosio L, Gregório L, Sousa J, Figueiredo Rinhel A, Azzolini A, Bastos J, et al. The role of seasonality on the inhibitory effect of Brazilian green propolis on the oxidative metabolism of neutrophils. Fitoterapia. 2010;81:1102-8 pubmed publisher..The extracts presenting the highest antioxidant activity were produced in May, June, and August, and they did not display cytotoxicity at 25 ?g/mL; quercetin, used as control, was not toxic to neutrophils at 8.5 ?g/mL. ..
- Deolindo M, Pelosi G, Busnardo C, Resstel L, Correa F. Cardiovascular effects of acetylcholine microinjection into the ventrolateral and dorsal periaqueductal gray of rats. Brain Res. 2011;1371:74-81 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these cardiovascular responses evoked by Ach are mediated by muscarinic receptors. ..
- Filipin M, Brazão V, Santello F, Caetano L, Toldo M, do Prado J. Prolactin: does it exert an up-modulation of the immune response in Trypanosoma cruzi-infected rats?. Vet Parasitol. 2011;181:139-45 pubmed publisher..cruzi infection. ..
- Deminice R, Jordao A. Creatine supplementation reduces oxidative stress biomarkers after acute exercise in rats. Amino Acids. 2012;43:709-15 pubmed publisher..The results show that creatine supplementation inhibits increased oxidative stress markers in plasma and muscle induced by acute exercise. ..
- Secatto A, Rodrigues L, Serezani C, Ramos S, Dias Baruffi M, Faccioli L, et al. 5-Lipoxygenase deficiency impairs innate and adaptive immune responses during fungal infection. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31701 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that leukotrienes are required to control chronic fungal infection by amplifying both the innate and adaptive immune response during histoplasmosis. ..
- Barros Silva R, Santos N, Martins N, Ferreira D, Barbosa F, Oliveira Souza V, et al. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester protects against the dopaminergic neuronal loss induced by 6-hydroxydopamine in rats. Neuroscience. 2013;233:86-94 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings and on its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier, CAPE is a promising compound to treat Parkinson's and other neurodegenerative diseases...
- Alves M, de Arruda R, Batissaco L, Florez Rodriguez S, de Oliveira B, Torres M, et al. Low-level laser therapy to recovery testicular degeneration in rams: effects on seminal characteristics, scrotal temperature, plasma testosterone concentration, and testes histopathology. Lasers Med Sci. 2016;31:695-704 pubmed publisher..Thus, LLLT at energy of 28Â J/cm(2) (808Â nm of wavelength and 30Â mW of power output) can induce sperm damages and increase the quantity of cells in seminiferous tubule in rams. ..
- Alves J, Senedese J, Leandro L, Castro P, Pereira D, Carneiro L, et al. Copaifera multijuga oleoresin and its constituent diterpene (-)-copalic acid: Genotoxicity and chemoprevention study. Mutat Res. 2017;819:26-30 pubmed publisher..w.) caused DNA damage in the comet assay. Both agents significantly reduced the frequency of DMH-induced ACF. Both CM and CA suppressed ACF formation and may have a protective effect against colon carcinogenesis. ..
- Verri W, Schivo I, Cunha T, Liew F, Ferreira S, Cunha F. Interleukin-18 induces mechanical hypernociception in rats via endothelin acting on ETB receptors in a morphine-sensitive manner. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004;310:710-7 pubmed..Therefore, inhibition of the endothelin ET(B) receptor could be beneficial on controlling inflammatory hypernociception of diseases in which IL-18 plays a role in their pathogenesis. ..
- Marcussi S, Bernardes C, Santos Filho N, Mazzi M, Oliveira C, Izidoro L, et al. Molecular and functional characterization of a new non-hemorrhagic metalloprotease from Bothrops jararacussu snake venom with antiplatelet activity. Peptides. 2007;28:2328-39 pubmed..The aspects broached, in this work, provide data on the relationship between structure and function, in order to better understand the effects elicited by snake venom metalloproteases...
- de Albuquerque R, Aparecida Del Bel E, Brentegani L, Moura de Oliveira M, Mardegan Issa J. Trigeminal nitric oxide synthase expression correlates with new bone formation during distraction osteogenesis. Calcif Tissue Int. 2008;82:309-15 pubmed publisher..Further studies are now warranted to investigate the mechanistic link between the expression of trigeminal NOS and mandibular new bone formation by distraction osteogenesis. ..
- Cunha J, Funez M, Cunha F, Parada C, Ferreira S. Streptozotocin-induced mechanical hypernociception is not dependent on hyperglycemia. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2009;42:197-206 pubmed
- Damasceno J, Beverley S, Tosi L. A transposon toolkit for gene transfer and mutagenesis in protozoan parasites. Genetica. 2010;138:301-11 pubmed publisher..The piggyBac and Tn5 transposons have also been shown to mobilize across Plasmodium spp. genomes circumventing the current limitations in the genetic manipulation of these organisms. ..
- Barbosa F, Góes R, de Faria E Sousa S, Haddad A. Regeneration of the corneal epithelium after debridement of its central region: an autoradiographic study on rabbits. Curr Eye Res. 2009;34:636-45 pubmed..To investigate the proliferative behavior of the corneal and limbal epithelia after debridement on the central region of the rabbit cornea...
- Costa D, Carregaro V, Lima Júnior D, Silva N, Milanezi C, Cardoso C, et al. BALB/c mice infected with antimony treatment refractory isolate of Leishmania braziliensis present severe lesions due to IL-4 production. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e965 pubmed publisher..In contrast, L. braziliensis-infected mice develop strong Th1 responses and easily resolve the infection, thus making the study of factors affecting susceptibility to this parasite difficult...
- Berretta A, Nascimento A, Bueno P, Vaz M, Marchetti J. Propolis standardized extract (EPP-AF®), an innovative chemically and biologically reproducible pharmaceutical compound for treating wounds. Int J Biol Sci. 2012;8:512-21 pubmed publisher..The antimicrobial and wound healing activity of the pharmaceutical studied showed the best results when samples contain 3.6% propolis, suggesting that this is the most promising composition. ..
- Rizzi E, Ceron C, Guimaraes D, Prado C, Rossi M, Gerlach R, et al. Temporal changes in cardiac matrix metalloproteinase activity, oxidative stress, and TGF-? in renovascular hypertension-induced cardiac hypertrophy. Exp Mol Pathol. 2013;94:1-9 pubmed publisher..Higher TIMP-4 levels were found in hypertensive rats only after 75 days after surgery. Our findings show that increased MMP-2 activity is associated with concomitant development of LV hypertrophy and increased TGF-? and ROS levels. ..
- Uchoa E, Zahm D, de Carvalho Borges B, Rorato R, Antunes Rodrigues J, Elias L. Oxytocin projections to the nucleus of the solitary tract contribute to the increased meal-related satiety responses in primary adrenal insufficiency. Exp Physiol. 2013;98:1495-504 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that OT pathways to the NTS contribute to higher satiety-related responses and, thus, to reduce meal size in primary adrenal insufficiency. ..
- Cardoso Júnior C, Silva R, Borges N, de Carvalho W, Walter S, Simões Z, et al. Methyl farnesoate epoxidase (mfe) gene expression and juvenile hormone titers in the life cycle of a highly eusocial stingless bee, Melipona scutellaris. J Insect Physiol. 2017;101:185-194 pubmed publisher..Hence, the physiological circuitries underlying a highly eusocial life style may be variable, even within a monophyletic clade such as the corbiculate bees. ..
- Magdalena C, Navarro V, Park D, Stuani M, Rocha M. C-fos expression in rat brain nuclei following incisor tooth movement. J Dent Res. 2004;83:50-4 pubmed..This result suggests that there is a recruitment of neurons related to nociception and to antinociception when tooth movement is increased. ..
- Martinello F, Soares S, Franco J, Santos A, Sugohara A, Garcia S, et al. Hypolipemic and antioxidant activities from Tamarindus indica L. pulp fruit extract in hypercholesterolemic hamsters. Food Chem Toxicol. 2006;44:810-8 pubmed..Together these results indicate the potential of tamarind extracts in diminishing the risk of atherosclerosis development in humans...
- Furtado M, Castro O, Del Vecchio F, de Oliveira J, Garcia Cairasco N. Study of spontaneous recurrent seizures and morphological alterations after status epilepticus induced by intrahippocampal injection of pilocarpine. Epilepsy Behav. 2011;20:257-66 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that H-PILO is a reliable, selective, efficient, low-mortality model that mimics the acute and chronic behavioral and morphological aspects of TLE. ..
- Mazucato V, Silveira E Souza A, Nicoletti L, Jamur M, Oliver C. GD1b-derived gangliosides modulate Fc?RI endocytosis in mast cells. J Histochem Cytochem. 2011;59:428-40 pubmed publisher..Because gangliosides may play a role in mast cell-related disease processes, they provide an attractive target for drug therapy and diagnosis. ..
- Tristão F, Rocha F, Moreira A, Cunha F, Rossi M, Silva J. 5-Lipoxygenase activity increases susceptibility to experimental Paracoccidioides brasiliensis infection. Infect Immun. 2013;81:1256-66 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show for the first time that 5-LO enzymatic activity increases susceptibility to P. brasiliensis, suggesting that this pathway may be a potential target for therapeutic intervention during PCM...
- Parreiras E Silva L, Reis R, Santos G, Pires Oliveira M, Pesquero J, Gomes M, et al. The kinin B1 receptor regulates muscle-specific E3 ligases expression and is involved in skeletal muscle mass control. Clin Sci (Lond). 2014;127:185-94 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, using pharmacological and gene-ablation tools, we have obtained evidence that the kinin B1 receptor plays a significant role in the regulation of skeletal muscle proteolysis in the LA muscle atrophy model. ..
- Oishi J, De Moraes T, Buzinari T, Carnio E, Parizotto N, Rodrigues G. Hypotensive acute effect of photobiomodulation therapy on hypertensive rats. Life Sci. 2017;178:56-60 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the abdominal acute application of PBM at 660nm is able to induce a long lasting hypotensive effect in hypertensive rats and vasodilation by a NO dependent mechanism. ..
- Rossi M, Ramos S, Bestetti R. Chagas' heart disease: clinical-pathological correlation. Front Biosci. 2003;8:e94-109 pubmed
- Jorge R, Oyamaguchi E, Cardillo J, Gobbi A, Laicine E, Haddad A. Intravitreal injection of dispase causes retinal hemorrhages in rabbit and human eyes. Curr Eye Res. 2003;26:107-12 pubmed..Retinal hemorrhages were evident as early as 11 min after injection. It is suggested that this enzyme degraded selectively basement membrane components without affecting other proteins involved in the vitreous-retinal junction. ..
- de Almeida L, Cintra A, Veronese E, Nomizo A, Franco J, Arantes E, et al. Anticrotalic and antitumoral activities of gel filtration fractions of aqueous extract from Tabernaemontana catharinensis (Apocynaceae). Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2004;137:19-27 pubmed..The results also show that a preliminary fractionation by Sephadex G-10 gel filtration is a good option as a first step for isolation of biologically active substances from T. catharinensis. ..
- Bonaventura D, de S Oliveira F, Togniolo V, Tedesco A, da Silva R, Bendhack L. A macrocyclic nitrosyl ruthenium complex is a NO donor that induces rat aorta relaxation. Nitric Oxide. 2004;10:83-91 pubmed..The time to reach maximum relaxation (595 s) was longer than that of SNP (195 s). Relaxation was completely abolished by oxyhemoglobin, a known NO scavenger. ..
- Jamur M, Grodzki A, Berenstein E, Hamawy M, Siraganian R, Oliver C. Identification and characterization of undifferentiated mast cells in mouse bone marrow. Blood. 2005;105:4282-9 pubmed..When injected into lethally irradiated mice, these cells are able to reconstitute the mast cell population in the spleen. ..
- Cunha A, Nascimento A, Guidugli K, Sim es Z, Bitondi M. Molecular cloning and expression of a hexamerin cDNA from the honey bee, Apis mellifera. J Insect Physiol. 2005;51:1135-47 pubmed publisher..However, sugar-fed workers responded to the lack of dietary proteins by diminishing significantly the amount of HEX 70b subunits in hemolymph. Apparently, they use HEX 70b to compensate the lack of dietary proteins...
- Resstel L, Joca S, Moreira F, Correa F, Guimarães F. Effects of cannabidiol and diazepam on behavioral and cardiovascular responses induced by contextual conditioned fear in rats. Behav Brain Res. 2006;172:294-8 pubmed..In conclusion, the results suggest that CBD has anxiolytic-like properties similar to those of diazepam in a rat model of conditioned fear to context. ..
- Boyle R, McNamara J. A spring-matrix model for pigment translocation in the red ovarian chromatophores of the freshwater shrimp Macrobrachium olfersi (Crustacea, Decapoda). Biol Bull. 2008;214:111-21 pubmed..This semiquantitative model should aid in analyzing intracellular transport systems that incorporate an elastic component...
- Bassi G, Broiz A, Gomes M, Brandao M. Evidence for mediation of nociception by injection of the NK-3 receptor agonist, senktide, into the dorsal periaqueductal gray of rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009;204:13-24 pubmed publisher..Both hyperalgesia and fear-related processes are accompanied by emissions of 22 kHz USVs. ..
- Faraoni Romano J, Turssi C, Serra M. Effect of a 10% carbamide peroxide on wear resistance of enamel and dentine: in situ study. J Dent. 2009;37:273-8 pubmed publisher..3713), but higher wear depth was observed for bleached root dentine (p=0.0346). While overnight bleaching caused no alteration in wear resistance of enamel, root dentine showed increased tissue loss. ..
- Zanelati T, Biojone C, Moreira F, Guimaraes F, Joca S. Antidepressant-like effects of cannabidiol in mice: possible involvement of 5-HT1A receptors. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;159:122-8 pubmed publisher..CBD (30 mg*kg(-1)) treatment did not change hippocampal BDNF levels. CBD induces antidepressant-like effects comparable to those of imipramine. These effects of CBD were probably mediated by activation of 5-HT(1A) receptors. ..
- Scopinho A, Guimarães F, Correa F, Resstel L. Cannabidiol inhibits the hyperphagia induced by cannabinoid-1 or serotonin-1A receptor agonists. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2011;98:268-72 pubmed publisher..These results show that CBD can interfere with food intake changes induced by a CB1 or 5-HT1A receptor agonist, suggesting that its role as a possible food intake regulator should be further investigate...
- Gutierrez F, Mariano F, Oliveira C, Pavanelli W, Guedes P, Silva G, et al. Regulation of Trypanosoma cruzi-induced myocarditis by programmed death cell receptor 1. Infect Immun. 2011;79:1873-81 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the participation of a PD-1 signaling pathway in the control of acute myocarditis induced by T. cruzi and provide additional insight into the regulatory mechanisms in the pathogenesis of Chagas' disease. ..
- Cavassani K, Tristao F, Oliveira L, Rocha F, Vancim J, Moreira A, et al. Cell-free antigens from Paracoccidioides brasiliensis drive IL-4 production and increase the severity of paracoccidioidomycosis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21423 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that the prior contact with soluble Pb antigens leads to severe PCM in an IL-4 dependent manner. ..
- Módulo C, Machado Filho E, Malki L, Dias A, de Souza J, Oliveira H, et al. The role of dyslipidemia on ocular surface, lacrimal and meibomian gland structure and function. Curr Eye Res. 2012;37:300-8 pubmed publisher..This dissociation suggests that other factors beside dyslipidemia impact on tear film dysfunction and DES development. ..
- Cornachione A, Cação Benedini L, Benedini Elias P, Martinez E, Mattiello Sverzut A. Effects of 40min of maintained stretch on the soleus and plantaris muscles of rats applied for different periods of time after hindlimb immobilization. Acta Histochem. 2013;115:505-11 pubmed publisher..However, after 21 days there were improved morphological characteristics, size and distribution of the different fibers. ..
- Lima Júnior D, Costa D, Carregaro V, Cunha L, Silva A, Mineo T, et al. Inflammasome-derived IL-1? production induces nitric oxide-mediated resistance to Leishmania. Nat Med. 2013;19:909-15 pubmed publisher..In this manuscript we identify a major signaling platform for host resistance to Leishmania spp. infection and describe the molecular mechanisms underlying Leishmania-induced NO production. ..
- Borges C, Cruz M, Carneiro L, da Silva J, Bastos J, Tavares D, et al. Copaifera duckei Oleoresin and Its Main Nonvolatile Terpenes: In Vitro Schistosomicidal Properties. Chem Biodivers. 2016;13:1348-1356 pubmed publisher..It also shows that diterpenes are an important class of natural compounds for the investigation of agents capable of fighting the parasite responsible for human schistosomiasis. ..
- Previato Mello M, Meireles D, Netto L, da Silva Neto J. Global Transcriptional Response to Organic Hydroperoxide and the Role of OhrR in the Control of Virulence Traits in Chromobacterium violaceum. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..violaceum uses the transcriptional regulator OhrR to modulate its virulence. ..
- Dantas M, Costa R, Barbosa J, Graeff M, Sarti W, De Carvalho I. Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) attenuates antibody binding in acute haemorrhagic immunopneumonitis in a rat model of complement-dependent lung injury. Clin Exp Immunol. 2000;121:139-45 pubmed
- Teófilo J, Brentegani L, Carvalho T. A histometric study in rats of the effect of the calcium antagonist amlodipine on bone healing after tooth extraction. Arch Oral Biol. 2001;46:375-9 pubmed..If confirmed in humans, the knowledge of a deleterious effect of Ca-channel blockers in hindering alveolar bone healing would be important in planning oral operations involving bone tissue, including those for device implantation...
- Santos D, Calixto J, Souza G. Effect of a kinin B2 receptor antagonist on LPS- and cytokine-induced neutrophil migration in rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2003;139:271-8 pubmed..7 These results indicate that BK participates importantly in selectin-dependent neutrophil migration into the air pouch triggered by LPS in the rat, by stimulating B(2) receptors coupled to synthesis/release of TNF-alpha and IL-1beta. ..
- Barros V, Rosa A, Beloti M, Chierice G. In vivo biocompatibility of three different chemical compositions of Ricinus communis polyurethane. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2003;67:235-9 pubmed..Based on the absence of osseoconductivity, RCP was considered to be a bioinert material...
- Medeiros A, Malheiro A, Jose P, Conroy D, Williams T, Faccioli L. Differential release of MIP-1alpha and eotaxin during infection of mice by Histoplasma capsulatum or inoculation of beta-glucan. Inflamm Res. 2004;53:351-4 pubmed..2C-E). The results suggest that chemokines and leukotrienes may play key roles in the inflammatory cell influx to H. capsulatum infection or to the inoculation of the beta-glucan cell wall component of this fungus ..
- Machado R, Soares D, Soares D, Proudfoot A, Souza G. CCR1 and CCR5 chemokine receptors are involved in fever induced by LPS (E. coli) and RANTES in rats. Brain Res. 2007;1161:21-31 pubmed..As indomethacin dissociates fever and the decrease of PGE(2) level during the RANTES-induced fever, an alternative COX-2-independent pathway or other mechanisms of action of celecoxib and ibuprofen might be considered. ..
- Spiller F, Alves M, Vieira S, Carvalho T, Leite C, Lunardelli A, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of red pepper (Capsicum baccatum) on carrageenan- and antigen-induced inflammation. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2008;60:473-8 pubmed publisher..baccatum juice and our data suggest that this effect may be induced by capsaicin. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory effect induced by red pepper may be by inhibition of pro-inflammatory cytokine production at the inflammatory site...
- Mota Júnior A, Malavazi I, Soriani F, Heinekamp T, Jacobsen I, Brakhage A, et al. Molecular characterization of the Aspergillus fumigatus NCS-1 homologue, NcsA. Mol Genet Genomics. 2008;280:483-95 pubmed publisher..fumigatus. The ncsA inactivation mutation is not causing loss of virulence in a low dose murine infection when compared to the corresponding wild type strain. ..
- Moreira F, Aguiar D, Campos A, Lisboa S, Terzian A, Resstel L, et al. Antiaversive effects of cannabinoids: is the periaqueductal gray involved?. Neural Plast. 2009;2009:625469 pubmed publisher..These results, therefore, suggest that the PAG could be an important site for the antiaversive effects of cannabinoids. ..
- Sachs D, Villarreal C, Cunha F, Parada C, Ferreira S. The role of PKA and PKCepsilon pathways in prostaglandin E2-mediated hypernociception. Br J Pharmacol. 2009;156:826-34 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings are consistent with the suggestion that PKA activates PKCepsilon, which is a novel mechanism of interaction between these kinases during the development of PGE(2)-induced mechanical hypernociception. ..
- Pereira F, Facincani I, Jorgetti V, Ramalho L, Volpon J, dos Reis L, et al. Etiopathogenesis of hepatic osteodystrophy in Wistar rats with cholestatic liver disease. Calcif Tissue Int. 2009;85:75-83 pubmed publisher..The endocrine and autocrine-paracrine IGF-I systems are deeply affected by cholestasis. Further studies will be necessary to establish their role in the pathogenesis of HO. ..
- dos Santos S, Roselino A, Hrncir M, Bego L. Pollination of tomatoes by the stingless bee Melipona quadrifasciata and the honey bee Apis mellifera (Hymenoptera, Apidae). Genet Mol Res. 2009;8:751-7 pubmed..The stingless bee, M. quadrifasciata, was significantly more efficient than honey bees in pollinating greenhouse tomatoes. ..
- Martins J, Nunes F, Cristino A, Simoes Z, Bitondi M. The four hexamerin genes in the honey bee: structure, molecular evolution and function deduced from expression patterns in queens, workers and drones. BMC Mol Biol. 2010;11:23 pubmed publisher..A phylogenetic analysis including the four deduced hexamerins and related proteins revealed a complex pattern of evolution, with independent radiation in insect orders. ..
- Busnardo C, Tavares R, Resstel L, Elias L, Correa F. Paraventricular nucleus modulates autonomic and neuroendocrine responses to acute restraint stress in rats. Auton Neurosci. 2010;158:51-7 pubmed publisher..The present results show that a local PVN neurotransmission is involved in the neural pathway that controls autonomic and neuroendocrine responses, which are associated with the exposure to acute restraint stress. ..
- Ciscato J, Capellini V, Celotto A, Baldo C, Joviliano E, Evora P, et al. Vascular relaxation of canine visceral arteries after ischemia by means of supraceliac aortic cross-clamping followed by reperfusion. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2010;18:41 pubmed publisher..Supraceliac aortic cross-clamping for 60 minutes alone and followed by 30 minutes of reperfusion did not impair relaxation of canine visceral arteries nor evoke biochemical alterations in plasma or renal tissue. ..
- Tirapelli D, Carlotti C, Leite J, Tirapelli L, Colli B. Expression of HSP70 in cerebral ischemia and neuroprotetive action of hypothermia and ketoprofen. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2010;68:592-6 pubmed..05). The Hsp70 increases in the ischemic area suggests that the Hsp70-mediated neuroexcitotoxicity plays an important role in cell death and that the neuroprotective effect of both, H and K are directly involved with the Hsp70. ..
- Fracon R, Teófilo J, Moris I, Lamano T. Treatment with paracetamol, ketorolac or etoricoxib did not hinder alveolar bone healing: a histometric study in rats. J Appl Oral Sci. 2010;18:630-4 pubmed..Histometric results confirmed that none of the tested drugs had a detrimental effect in the volume fraction of bone trabeculae formed inside the alveolar socket. ..
- Giassi A, Maler L, Moreira J, Hoffmann A. Glomerular nucleus of the weakly electric fish, Gymnotus sp.: cytoarchitecture, histochemistry, and fiber connections--inisights from neuroanatomy to evolution and behavior. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1658-76 pubmed publisher..In Gymnotiform fish, however, the pretectal region that projects to the glomerular nucleus is dominated by electrosensory input (visual input is minor), which is consistent with the dominant role of electroreception in these fish. ..
- Casarotto P, Terzian A, Aguiar D, Zangrossi H, Guimarães F, Wotjak C, et al. Opposing roles for cannabinoid receptor type-1 (CB?) and transient receptor potential vanilloid type-1 channel (TRPV1) on the modulation of panic-like responses in rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2012;37:478-86 pubmed publisher..This tripartite set-point system might be exploited for the pharmacotherapy of panic attacks and anxiety-related disorders. ..
- Messias D, Maeda F, Turssi C, Serra M. Effect of dentifrices against hydrochloric acid-induced erosion. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2011;9:269-73 pubmed..5494). The damage caused by a simulated intrinsic erosive challenge seems unable to be controlled by fluoridated dentifrices, even when this ion is found in elevated concentrations. ..
- Bitencourt C, Duarte C, Azzolini A, Assis Pandochi A. Alternative complement pathway and factor B activities in rats with altered blood levels of thyroid hormone. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2012;45:216-21 pubmed..We conclude that alterations in thyroid hormone levels affect the activity of the AP and factor B, which may in turn affect the roles of AP and factor B in antibody production. ..
- de Souza D, Toso V, Campos M, Lara V, Oliver C, Jamur M. Expression of mast cell proteases correlates with mast cell maturation and angiogenesis during tumor progression. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40790 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that mast cells are involved in induction of angiogenesis in the early stages of tumor development and in modulating blood vessel growth in the later stages of tumor progression. ..
- Marchi K, Ceron C, Muniz J, De Martinis B, Tanus Santos J, Tirapelli C. NADPH Oxidase Plays a Role on Ethanol-Induced Hypertension and Reactive Oxygen Species Generation in the Vasculature. Alcohol Alcohol. 2016;51:522-34 pubmed publisher..Moreover, increased vascular Nox1 expression is related to the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) by ethanol. Finally, ROS induced by ethanol increase the expression of the regulatory vascular proteins. ..
- Garcia Cairasco N, Wakamatsu H, Oliveira J, Gomes E, Del Bel E, Mello L. Neuroethological and morphological (Neo-Timm staining) correlates of limbic recruitment during the development of audiogenic kindling in seizure susceptible Wistar rats. Epilepsy Res. 1996;26:177-92 pubmed
- Bastos J, Carvalho J, de Souza G, Pedrazzi A, Sarti S. Anti-inflammatory activity of cubebin, a lignan from the leaves of Zanthoxyllum naranjillo Griseb. J Ethnopharmacol. 2001;75:279-82 pubmed..Therefore, it may be suggested that the mechanism of action of cubebin is similar to that observed for most of the non-steroidal drugs. ..
- Guimaraes F, Beijamini V, Moreira F, Aguiar D, de Lucca A. Role of nitric oxide in brain regions related to defensive reactions. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2005;29:1313-22 pubmed..These results suggest a modulatory role for NO on brain areas related to defensive reactions, probably by interacting with glutamate, serotonin and/or GABA-mediated neurotransmission. ..
- Falcão J, Falcão D, Pitondo Silva A, Malaspina A, Brocchi M. Molecular typing and virulence markers of Yersinia enterocolitica strains from human, animal and food origins isolated between 1968 and 2000 in Brazil. J Med Microbiol. 2006;55:1539-48 pubmed..enterocolitica for human infections in Brazil, an epidemiological aspect that has not been investigated in this country, confirming data from other parts of the world...
- Santos N, Medina W, Martins N, Mingatto F, Curti C, Santos A. Aromatic antiepileptic drugs and mitochondrial toxicity: effects on mitochondria isolated from rat liver. Toxicol In Vitro. 2008;22:1143-52 pubmed publisher..The potential to induce mitochondrial dysfunction was PT-B>PB-B>CB-B>PB. Results suggest the involvement of mitochondrial toxicity in the pathogenesis of AAED-induced hepatotoxicity. ..
- Iyomasa M, Issa J, Siéssere S, Regalo S, Watanabe I. Effect of unilateral extraction of molar teeth on suprahyoid muscles: macroscopic and ultrastructural aspects. Micron. 2008;39:1111-8 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that unilateral exodontia of all the upper left molars affect the ultrastructural morphology of suprahyoid muscle fibers. ..
- Machado F, Souto J, Rossi M, Esper L, Tanowitz H, Aliberti J, et al. Nitric oxide synthase-2 modulates chemokine production by Trypanosoma cruzi-infected cardiac myocytes. Microbes Infect. 2008;10:1558-66 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that NOS2 is a potent modulator of chemokine expression which is critical to triggering the generation of the inflammatory infiltrate in the heart during T. cruzi infection. ..
- Oliveira Pelegrin G, Ravanelli M, Branco L, Rocha M. Thermoregulation and vasopressin secretion during polymicrobial sepsis. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2009;16:45-53 pubmed publisher..Moreover, an apparently impaired replenishment of AVP content in the neurohypophysis, possibly due to increased NO formation, may explain the impaired AVP secretion in the late phase of severe sepsis. ..
- Ruas L, Bernardes E, Fermino M, de Oliveira L, Hsu D, Liu F, et al. Lack of galectin-3 drives response to Paracoccidioides brasiliensis toward a Th2-biased immunity. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4519 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that, during an in vivo P. brasiliensis infection, galectin-3 exerts its tuning role on immunity by interfering with the generation of regulatory macrophages, thus hindering the consequent Th2-polarized type of response. ..
- da Silva L, Nelson Filho P, da Silva R, Flores D, Heilborn C, Johnson J, et al. Revascularization and periapical repair after endodontic treatment using apical negative pressure irrigation versus conventional irrigation plus triantibiotic intracanal dressing in dogs' teeth with apical periodontitis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010;109:779-87 pubmed publisher
- Marquele Oliveira F, Santana D, Taveira S, Vermeulen D, de Oliveira A, da Silva R, et al. Development of nitrosyl ruthenium complex-loaded lipid carriers for topical administration: improvement in skin stability and in nitric oxide release by visible light irradiation. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2010;53:843-51 pubmed publisher..NRC-loaded SLN performs well enough at releasing and protecting NO degradation in vitro that it is a promising carrier for topical delivery of NO...
- Rorato R, Reis W, Antunes Rodrigues J, Elias L. Cholecystokinin and hypothalamic corticotrophin-releasing factor participate in endotoxin-induced hypophagia. Exp Physiol. 2011;96:439-50 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present data suggest that LPS-induced hypophagia is mediated at least in part by CCK effects, via CCK(1) receptor, on NTS and hypothalamic CRF neurons. ..
- da Silva G, Giusti H, Benedetti M, Dias M, Gargaglioni L, Branco L, et al. Serotonergic neurons in the nucleus raphe obscurus contribute to interaction between central and peripheral ventilatory responses to hypercapnia. Pflugers Arch. 2011;462:407-18 pubmed publisher..5%) treatments. Our data indicate that ROb 5-HT neurons play an important role in the CO? drive to breathing and may act as an important element in the central-peripheral chemoreception interaction to CO? responsiveness...
- Rossetti F, Rodrigues M, de Oliveira J, Garcia Cairasco N. Behavioral and EEG effects of GABAergic manipulation of the nigrotectal pathway in the Wistar audiogenic rat strain. Epilepsy Behav. 2011;22:191-9 pubmed publisher..The pSC has proconvulsant audiogenic seizure activity in Wistar audiogenic rats. Our data suggest that this phenomenon may be a consequence of the genetic selection of the Wistar audiogenic rat strain. ..
- Petronilho A, Reis G, Dias Q, Fais R, Prado W. Antinociceptive effect of stimulating the zona incerta with glutamate in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2012;101:360-8 pubmed publisher..This profile resembles the reported effects of these antagonists on the antinociception caused by stimulating the periaqueductal gray or the pedunculopontine tegmental nucleus. ..
- Stehling E, Sforça M, Zanchin N, Oyama S, Pignatelli A, Belluzzi O, et al. Looking over toxin-K(+) channel interactions. Clues from the structural and functional characterization of ?-KTx toxin Tc32, a Kv1.3 channel blocker. Biochemistry. 2012;51:1885-94 pubmed publisher..In addition, we found that, regardless of whether the dyad motif is present, it is always a Lys side chain that physically blocks the channels, irrespective of its position in the toxin sequence. ..
- Miyashita D, Chahud F, da Silva G, de Albuquerque V, Garcia D, Velasco e Cruz A. Tissue ingrowth into perforated polymethylmethacrylate orbital implants: an experimental study. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013;29:160-3 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the clinical response and fibrovascular ingrowth into perforated acrylic orbital implants in a rabbit model...