Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in São Paulo, Brazil
Locale: São Paulo, Brazil
Publications1218 found, 100 shown here
- Queiroz D, Silva A, Gutiérrez Ospina G, Porto C, Grossman G, Petrusz P, et al. Cells positive for microtubule-associated protein 1B (MAP 1B) are present along rat and human efferent ductules and epididymis. Cell Tissue Res. 2006;325:125-33 pubmed..The functional significance of this cytoskeleton protein in tissues from the male reproductive tract requires further investigation. ..
- Vogel C, Laucht M, Furtado E, Becker K, Schmidt M. Association of DRD4 exon III polymorphism with auditory P300 amplitude in 8-year-old children. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2006;113:1935-41 pubmed..This finding provides further evidence supporting a role of P300 amplitude reduction as an endophenotype for disinhibited psychopathology. ..
- Simoes J, Discacciati M, Brolazo E, Portugal P, Dini D, Dantas M. Clinical diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2006;94:28-32 pubmed..The accuracy of Amsel's clinical criteria individually or in combinations of two was as accurate as the presence of at least three criteria for the diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis. ..
- Bahia V, Kok F, Marie S, Shinjo S, Caramelli P, Nitrini R. Polymorphisms of APOE and LRP genes in Brazilian individuals with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2008;22:61-5 pubmed publisher..No significant differences between patients and controls were observed for -491 APOE or LRP polymorphisms. In this Brazilian population, both the epsilon 4 allele and T -219 polymorphism were associated with an increased risk for AD. ..
- Vicentini F, Denes F, Borges L, Silva F, Machado M, Srougi M. Laparoscopic pyeloplasty in children: Is the outcome different in children under 2 years of age?. J Pediatr Urol. 2008;4:348-51 pubmed publisher..All patients in both groups experienced resolution of symptoms or obstruction. The LP in children younger than 2 years is highly successful with a low-rate of complications, and has the same outcomes as in older children. ..
- Wiikmann C, da Silva M, Arêas E, Tsuji D, Sennes L. Measurement of the viscoelastic properties of the vocal folds. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2009;118:461-4 pubmed..0396) and 0.5 and 10 N (p = 0.0442). The study demonstrated that the level of compression influences the DV measure and suggests that a defined compression level should be used in rheometric studies of biological tissues. ..
- Rached S, Athanazio R, Dias S, Jardim C, Souza R. Systemic corticosteroids as first-line treatment in pulmonary hypertension associated with POEMS syndrome. J Bras Pneumol. 2009;35:804-8 pubmed..Due to the rarity of this presentation, a multicenter registry should be developed to allow the compilation of additional data to support this practice...
- Nishinari K, Bernardi C, Wolosker N, Yazbek G. Retained catheter: a rare complication associated with totally implantable venous ports. J Vasc Access. 2010;11:159-61 pubmed..After 1 yr of follow-up, both patients were asymptomatic and imaging examinations showed the retained catheters. We believe that an implantable port should be removed after appropriate oncological follow-up...
- Leao S, Viana Niero C, Matsumoto C, Lima K, Lopes M, Palaci M, et al. Epidemic of surgical-site infections by a single clone of rapidly growing mycobacteria in Brazil. Future Microbiol. 2010;5:971-80 pubmed publisher..Our aim is to investigate if the clusters of postsurgical mycobacterial infections, reported between 2004 and 2008 in seven geographically distant states in Brazil, were caused by a single mycobacterial strain...
- Chojniak M, Chojniak R, Nishimoto I, Allemann N, Erwenne C. Primary transpupillary thermotherapy for small choroidal melanoma. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2011;249:1859-65 pubmed publisher..Decrease in visual acuity occurred early after treatment mainly associated with subfoveal and perifoveal tumors treatment and complications. Long-term randomized studies are still needed in order to better situate this treatment. ..
- Yoshida N, Tyler K, Llewellyn M. Invasion mechanisms among emerging food-borne protozoan parasites. Trends Parasitol. 2011;27:459-66 pubmed publisher..Here, the interactions of these protozoans with the mucosal epithelia of the host are discussed. ..
- Lovato D, Amino R, González Y, Miranda A, Schenkman S, Tanaka A. Infestin 1R, an intestinal subtilisin inhibitor from Triatoma infestans able to impair mammalian cell invasion by Trypanosoma cruzi. Exp Parasitol. 2011;129:362-7 pubmed publisher..For the first time, a serine protease inhibitor, derived from T. infestans, was shown to impair cell invasion by T. cruzi, representing possible new target in parasite cell invasion. ..
- Massad E, Coutinho F. Vectorial capacity, basic reproduction number, force of infection and all that: formal notation to complete and adjust their classical concepts and equations. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2012;107:564-7 pubmed..The analysis was intended to provide a formal notation that complete the classical equations proposed by these authors. ..
- Comper M, Costa L, Padula R. Clinimetric properties of the Brazilian-Portuguese version of the Quick Exposure Check (QEC). Rev Bras Fisioter. 2012;16:487-94 pubmed..The Brazilian version of the QEC has appropriate clinimetric properties for measuring different levels of exposure to ergonomics risk factors and can now be used by Brazilian researchers and Occupational Health professionals. ..
- Pereira M, de Bessa Garcia S, Burikhanov R, Pavanelli A, Antunes L, Rangnekar V, et al. Prostate apoptosis response-4 is involved in the apoptosis response to docetaxel in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Int J Oncol. 2013;43:531-8 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we found that Par-4 expression modulates apoptosis in response to docetaxel in MCF7 breast cancer cells. Par-4 exerts growth inhibitory effects on breast cancer cells and chemosensitizes them to docetaxel. ..
- Magri M, Prata T, Manchiero C, Dantas B, Mazza C, Tengan F. Genetic variation in the microsomal triglyceride transfer protein (-493G/T) is associated with hepatic steatosis in patients infected with hepatitis C virus. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:235 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, associations were observed between hepatic steatosis and inflammatory activity of moderate to high intensity, advanced age, elevated GGT and low LDL levels. ..
- Ramalho D, Miranda P, Andrade M, Brígido T, Dalcolmo M, Mesquita E, et al. Outcomes from patients with presumed drug resistant tuberculosis in five reference centers in Brazil. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:571 pubmed publisher..01) and favorable outcomes (p = 0.07). This study shows a high rate of empirical treatment and long delay for DST results. Strategies to speed up the detection and early treatment of drug resistant TB should be prioritized. ..
- Rosenblit J, Abreu C, Szterling L, Kutner J, Hamerschlak N, Frutuoso P, et al. Evaluation of three methods for hemoglobin measurement in a blood donor setting. Sao Paulo Med J. 1999;117:108-12 pubmed..However, pairs of methods involving the HemoCue seem to have narrower limits of agreement (+/- 0.78 and +/- 1.02) than the Coulter and Cobas combination (+/- 1.13). The three methods provide good agreement for hemoglobin determination. ..
- Vainzof M, Muniz V, Tsanaclis A, Silva H, Rusticci M. Does the A3333G mutation in the CACNL1A3 gene, detected in malignant hyperthermia, also occur in central core disease?. Genet Test. 2000;4:383-6 pubmed..Nevertheless, the report of data on newly described mutations in different populations is important to estimate the contributions of each gene mutation to the phenotype of MH and CCD...
- Hosaka B, Park S, Felipe C, Garcia R, Machado P, Pereira A, et al. Predictive value of urinary retinol binding protein for graft dysfunction after kidney transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2003;35:1341-3 pubmed..99 to 3.80, P =.05). RBPu may serve as a surrogate marker for graft dysfunction early after transplantation for patients with normal graft function, allowing early institution of intervention therapies to prolong allograft survival. ..
- Fernandez Becerra C, Pein O, de Oliveira T, Yamamoto M, Cassola A, Rocha C, et al. Variant proteins of Plasmodium vivax are not clonally expressed in natural infections. Mol Microbiol. 2005;58:648-58 pubmed..Moreover, whereas our data are consistent with a major role of vir genes in natural infections, they are inconsistent with a predominant role in the strict sense of antigenic variation. ..
- Trindade M, Lopes J, Soares Costa A, Monteiro Moreira A, Moreira R, Oliva M, et al. Structural characterization of novel chitin-binding lectins from the genus Artocarpus and their antifungal activity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1764:146-52 pubmed..These lectins were denoted jackin (from jackfruit) and frutackin (from breadfruit)...
- Guilherme L, Kalil J, Cunningham M. Molecular mimicry in the autoimmune pathogenesis of rheumatic heart disease. Autoimmunity. 2006;39:31-9 pubmed..Both B- and T-cell responses are involved in the process, and evidence for the hypotheses of molecular mimicry and epitope spreading are reviewed. ..
- Brasileiro R, Pinho A, Medeiros C, Ferri F, Schiavon L, Narciso Schiavon J, et al. [Pulmonary nocardiosis in a patient who was a chronic corticosteroid user]. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2007;40:585-7 pubmed..He developed pulmonary infection due to Nocardia farcinica, which was isolated from blood cultures. Despite correct treatment with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, the patient died three months after this therapy was instituted...
- Mattar R, Monteiro M, Villares C, dos Santos A, Carrilho F. Single nucleotide polymorphism C/T(-13910), located upstream of the lactase gene, associated with adult-type hypolactasia: validation for clinical practice. Clin Biochem. 2008;41:628-30 pubmed publisher..Agreement of tests was high (p<0.0001; Kappa Index 0.96). C/T(-13910) polymorphism detection may be a new tool for primary hypolactasia diagnosis. ..
- César L, Gowdak L, Mansur A. The metabolic treatment of patients with coronary artery disease: effects on quality of life and effort angina. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:841-9 pubmed
- Macedo Souza L, Kok F, Santos S, Licinio L, Lezirovitz K, Cavaçana N, et al. Spastic paraplegia, optic atrophy, and neuropathy: new observations, locus refinement, and exclusion of candidate genes. Ann Hum Genet. 2009;73:382-7 pubmed publisher..2 (with marker D11S987) and of 27.0 (with marker D11S1889). Three genes located in this newly defined critical region were sequenced, but no pathogenic mutation was detected. The gene responsible for SPOAN remains elusive...
- Cercato C, Roizenblatt V, Leança C, Segal A, Lopes Filho A, Mancini M, et al. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study of the long-term efficacy and safety of diethylpropion in the treatment of obese subjects. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009;33:857-65 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the efficacy of diethylpropion on a long-term basis, with emphasis in cardiovascular and psychiatric safety aspects...
- Issa V, Amaral A, Cruz F, Ferreira S, Guimaraes G, Chizzola P, et al. Beta-blocker therapy and mortality of patients with Chagas cardiomyopathy: a subanalysis of the REMADHE prospective trial. Circ Heart Fail. 2010;3:82-8 pubmed publisher..Clinical Trial Registration- clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier: NCT00505050. ..
- Lemos M, Valim V, Zandonade E, Natour J. Intensity level for exercise training in fibromyalgia by using mathematical models. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2010;11:54 pubmed publisher..For the prescription of exercises in the threshold intensity, 52% to 60% HRR or 75% to 80% HRMax must be used in sedentary women with fibromyalgia syndrome and these values are higher and must be corrected for trained patients. ..
- Corrêa P, Catai A, Takakura I, Machado M, Godoy M. [Heart rate variability and pulmonary infections after myocardial revascularization]. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2010;95:448-56 pubmed
- Takahashi H, Cambiaghi T, Luchessi A, Hirabara S, Vinolo M, Newsholme P, et al. Activation of survival and apoptotic signaling pathways in lymphocytes exposed to palmitic acid. J Cell Physiol. 2012;227:339-50 pubmed publisher..These findings may explain aspects of lymphocyte dysfunction associated with diabetes. ..
- Santos D, Lage L, Jabur E, Kaziyama H, Iosifescu D, Lucia M, et al. The association of major depressive episode and personality traits in patients with fibromyalgia. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2011;66:973-8 pubmed..The results highlight specific features of depression in fibromyalgia subjects and may prove important for enhancing the diagnosis and prognosis of depression in fibromyalgia patients. ..
- Wolosker N, Krutman M, Campdell T, Kauffman P, Campos J, Puech Leao P. Oxybutynin treatment for hyperhidrosis: a comparative analysis between genders. Einstein (Sao Paulo). 2012;10:405-8 pubmed..Gender is not a factor that significantly interferes in oxybutynin treatment results. Quality of life indices and clinical improvement level were similar in men and women. ..
- Miller W, Mantovani L, Muzic J, Rykken J, Gawande R, Lund T, et al. Intensity of MRI Gadolinium Enhancement in Cerebral Adrenoleukodystrophy: A Biomarker for Inflammation and Predictor of Outcome following Transplantation in Higher Risk Patients. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016;37:367-72 pubmed publisher..In boys with higher risk cerebral disease (Loes â‰¥10), the enhancement score itself predicts neurologic outcome following treatment. Such data may help guide treatment decisions for clinicians and families. ..
- Medeiros L, de Castro P, Felicio A, Queiros B, Silva S, Ferraz H, et al. Patients with essential tremor can have manual dexterity and attention deficits with no impairments in other cognitive functions. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2016;74:122-7 pubmed publisher..The study results suggest that patients with ET have impaired manual dexterity and attention. ..
- Aguiar P, de Mendonça Lima T, Colleoni G, Storpirtis S. Efficacy and safety of bortezomib, thalidomide, and lenalidomide in multiple myeloma: An overview of systematic reviews with meta-analyses. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2017;113:195-212 pubmed publisher..Future research should adhere to quality assessment tools so that best evidence can be used in decision-making. Protocol PROSPERO registration number: CRD42016036062. ..
- Manyanga T, Tremblay M, Chaput J, Katzmarzyk P, Fogelholm M, Hu G, et al. Socioeconomic status and dietary patterns in children from around the world: different associations by levels of country human development?. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:457 pubmed publisher..However, future studies should seek to replicate these findings in more representative samples extended to more rural representation. ..
- Medeiros C, Brioschi M, Souza S, Teixeira M. Infrared thermography to diagnose and manage venomous animal bites and stings. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2017;50:260-264 pubmed publisher..IR has potential for use as a research, diagnostic, and monitoring tool for localized effects of animal venoms. ..
- Monsanto S, Daher S, Ono E, Pendeloski K, Traina E, Mattar R, et al. Cervical cerclage placement decreases local levels of proinflammatory cytokines in patients with cervical insufficiency. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217:455.e1-455.e8 pubmed publisher..Cerclage intervention led to a significant decline in these proinflammatory cytokines, suggesting that cerclage may help reduce local inflammation in cervical insufficiency. ..
- Zuolo M, Toledo M, Nogueira H, Straus A, Takahashi H. Identification of GM3 as a marker of therapy-resistant periradicular lesions. J Endod. 2001;27:107-9 pubmed..In contrast lesion tissues express GM3, which is conspicuously absent in normal tissues. ..
- Ferreira F, Saliture Neto F, Santos M, Assef J, Szutan L, De Capua Junior A. [Predictive factors of rebleeding in cirrhotic patients submitted to Warren's surgery]. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2005;51:261-4 pubmed..The volume of crystalloid given during the surgery was a predictive factor for early rebleeding. ..
- Caruso P, Denari S, Ruiz S, Bernal K, Manfrin G, Friedrich C, et al. Inspiratory muscle training is ineffective in mechanically ventilated critically ill patients. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2005;60:479-84 pubmed..As a secondary objective, we described the evolution of inspiratory muscle strength with and without inspiratory muscle training...
- Okumura M, Bunduki V, Shiang C, Schultz R, Zugaib M. Unusual sonographic features of ARPKD. Prenat Diagn. 2006;26:330-2 pubmed..The fetal renal lobulation was prominent and on section, the pyramids were delineated within each lobule, accounting for the clear image of the pyramids observed on sonography. ..
- Low C, Garzon E, Carrete H, Vilanova L, Yacubian E, Sakamoto A. Early destructive lesions in the developing brain: clinical and electrographic correlates. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2007;65:416-22 pubmed..The objective of this study was to investigate clinical and electrographic correlates associated to these types of destructive brain lesions...
- Castro Junior N, Almeida C, Campos C. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss and vertigo associated with arterial occlusive disease: three case reports and literature review. Sao Paulo Med J. 2007;125:191-5 pubmed
- Orimoto A, Neto C, Pimentel E, Sanches J, Sotto M, Akaishi E, et al. High numbers of human skin cancers express MMP2 and several integrin genes. J Cutan Pathol. 2008;35:285-91 pubmed publisher..The elevated number of BCC expressing alpha2 and alpha6, and of MM expressing alphav and MMP2, corroborate literature data. ..
- de Paiva L, Parra E, da Rosa D, Farhat C, Delmonte C, Capelozzi V. Autopsy-proven determinants of immediate fire death in lungs. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2008;29:323-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that these determinants should be included in the routine of forensic pathology...
- Serafim A, Barros D, Valim A, Gorenstein C. Cardiac response and anxiety levels in psychopathic murderers. Braz J Psychiatr. 2009;31:214-8 pubmed..Although the non-psychopathic murderers had committed the same type of crime as the psychopathic murderers, the former tended to respond with a higher level of anxiety and heart rate variation. ..
- Maksoud Filho J, Gonçalves M, Cardoso S, Gibelli N, Tannuri U. Long-term follow-up of children with extrahepatic portal vein obstruction: impact of an endoscopic sclerotherapy program on bleeding episodes, hepatic function, hypersplenism, and mortality. J Pediatr Surg. 2009;44:1877-83 pubmed publisher..Children develop mild liver dysfunction and hypersplenism with long-term follow-up. Only a few patients manifest symptoms of hypersplenism, portal biliopathy, or liver dysfunction before adolescence. ..
- Garcia S, Curioni O, de Carvalho M, Gattás G. Polymorphisms in alcohol metabolizing genes and the risk of head and neck cancer in a Brazilian population. Alcohol Alcohol. 2010;45:6-12 pubmed publisher..42; 95% CI, 1.21-16.11). The fast alcohol metabolizing genotypes may prevent HNC when the amount of alcohol intake is <30.655 g/L/day. ..
- Roehsig M, de Paula D, Moura S, Diniz E, Yonamine M. Determination of eight fatty acid ethyl esters in meconium samples by headspace solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Sep Sci. 2010;33:2115-22 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, FAEEs could also be detected in some non-exposed newborns, although the concentrations were much lower than those measured in exposed cases. ..
- Schraiber L, Latorre M, França I, Segri N, D Oliveira A. Validity of the WHO VAW study instrument for estimating gender-based violence against women. Rev Saude Publica. 2010;44:658-66 pubmed..The instrument also characterizes the female victim and her relationship with the aggressor, thereby facilitating gender analysis. ..
- Mancuso D, Goiato M, Zuccolotti B, Moreno A, dos Santos D, Pesqueira A. Effect of thermocycling on hardness, absorption, solubility and colour change of soft liners. Gerodontology. 2012;29:e215-9 pubmed publisher..83 ± 0.11). It can be concluded that silicone liners performed significantly better compared to acrylic resin. ..
- Borlot F, da Paz J, Gonzalez C, Lucato L, Marques Dias M. Möbius sequence in a girl and arthrogryposis in her half-brother: distinct phenotypes caused by prenatal injuries. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2011;30:260-5 pubmed publisher..A vascular disruption, due to hemorrhage and cocaine exposure, causing a transient ischemic insult to embryos in a critical period of development may be responsible for distinct phenotypes in these cases. ..
- Marra A, Sampaio Camargo T, Goncalves P, Sogayar A, Moura D, Guastelli L, et al. Preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infection in the zero-tolerance era. Am J Infect Control. 2011;39:817-22 pubmed publisher..6-14.2) after the intervention (P = .014). Our findings suggest that reducing CAUTI rates in the ICU setting is a complex process that involves multiple performance measures and interventions that can be applied to SDU settings as well. ..
- Pinotti S, da Silva I, Carvalho C, Nazário A. MspA1 polymorphism of the CYP17 gene in breast cysts. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2012;28:443-6 pubmed publisher..To study the prevalence of breast cysts in several age groups of the general female population and their association with the MspAI polymorphism of the gene CYP17...
- Gonçalves R, Scopel K, Bastos M, Ferreira M. Cytokine balance in human malaria: does Plasmodium vivax elicit more inflammatory responses than Plasmodium falciparum?. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44394 pubmed publisher..vivax parasite. The early induction of regulatory cytokines may be a critical mechanism protecting vivax malaria patients from severe clinical complications. ..
- Vicentin E, Françoso K, Rocha M, Iourtov D, Dos Santos F, Kubrusly F, et al. Invasion-inhibitory antibodies elicited by immunization with Plasmodium vivax apical membrane antigen-1 expressed in Pichia pastoris yeast. Infect Immun. 2014;82:1296-307 pubmed publisher..vivax. Our results show that AMA-1 expressed in P. pastoris is a promising antigen for use in future preclinical and clinical studies. ..
- Campregher P, Petroni R, Muto N, Sitnik R, de Carvalho F, Bacal N, et al. A Novel Assay for the Identification of NOTCH1 PEST Domain Mutations in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:4247908 pubmed publisher..7% of the patients with trisomy 12. Conclusions. We have developed a fast and robust assay combining allele-specific PCR and fragment analysis able to detect NOTCH1 PEST domain insertions and deletions. ..
- Vega C, Soares V, Lourenço Francisco Nasr A. [Late maternal mortality: comparison of maternal mortality committees in Brazil]. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33:e00197315 pubmed publisher..3 in São Paulo and 4.3 in Paraná. Late maternal death had a relevant impact on overall maternal mortality, and postpartum cardiomyopathy was the principal cause of late direct obstetric death. ..
- Suffritti C, Tobaldini E, Schiavon R, Strada S, Maggioni L, Mehta S, et al. Complement and contact system activation in acute congestive heart failure patients. Clin Exp Immunol. 2017;190:251-257 pubmed publisher..This finding is interesting if we consider the difference in epidemiology, pathogenesis and possible therapeutic approaches of these two clinical entities. ..
- Pallos D, Hart P, Cortelli J, Vian S, Wright J, Korkko J, et al. Novel COL1A1 mutation (G559C) [correction of G599C] associated with mild osteogenesis imperfecta and dentinogenesis imperfecta. Arch Oral Biol. 2001;46:459-70 pubmed..The mild skeletal features and reduced penetrance of the non-dental findings illustrate the importance of genetic evaluations for families with a history of DGI. ..
- Calil R, Marba S, von Nowakonski A, Tresoldi A. Reduction in colonization and nosocomial infection by multiresistant bacteria in a neonatal unit after institution of educational measures and restriction in the use of cephalosporins. Am J Infect Control. 2001;29:133-8 pubmed..These results have shown that the measures adopted were effective. ..
- Nasi A, Filho J, Zilberstein B, Cecconello I, Gama Rodrigues J, Pinotti H. Gastroesophageal reflux disease: clinical, endoscopic, and intraluminal esophageal pH monitoring evaluation. Dis Esophagus. 2001;14:41-9 pubmed..Normal reflux (confirmed using pH esophageal monitoring) in 12.2% of patients with esophagitis suggests that other factors are implicated in the etiology of the disease besides those measured using this examination. ..
- Martin R, Lin C, Costa E, de Oliveira M, Carrilho A, Villar H, et al. P450c17 deficiency in Brazilian patients: biochemical diagnosis through progesterone levels confirmed by CYP17 genotyping. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:5739-46 pubmed
- Von Dannecker L, Mercadante A, Malnic B. Ric-8B, an olfactory putative GTP exchange factor, amplifies signal transduction through the olfactory-specific G-protein Galphaolf. J Neurosci. 2005;25:3793-800 pubmed..Finally, we show that Ric-8B is able to potentiate Galphaolf-dependent cAMP accumulation in human embryonic kidney 293 cells and therefore may be an important component for odorant signal transduction. ..
- Ferreira L, Souza S, Arnhold I, Mendonca B, Jorge A. PTPN11 (protein tyrosine phosphatase, nonreceptor type 11) mutations and response to growth hormone therapy in children with Noonan syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:5156-60 pubmed..7 +/- 0.1) compared with those with mutations (+0.8 +/- 0.4; P < 0.01). Our findings suggest that the presence of PTPN11 mutations in patients with NS indicates a reduced growth response to long-term hGH treatment. ..
- Alencar M, Duarte D, Cury P, Bonecker M. Lower mesiodens: report of an unusual case. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2005;29:353-5 pubmed..The case initially required only surgical treatment to remove the lower mesiodens. Sequentially, the patient was referred to an orthodontic therapy due to a presence of diastema. ..
- Heise C, Gonçalves L, Barbosa E, Gherpelli J. Botulinum toxin for treatment of cocontractions related to obstetrical brachial plexopathy. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2005;63:588-91 pubmed..One patient showed no response to triceps injections. Our data suggest that botulinum toxin can be useful in some children that have persistent disability secondary to obstetrical brachial plexopathy. ..
- de Araujo Filho G, Pascalicchio T, Lin K, Sousa P, Yacubian E. Neuropsychiatric profiles of patients with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy treated with valproate or topiramate. Epilepsy Behav. 2006;8:606-9 pubmed..Anxiety disorders were associated with lack of seizure control and having had more than 20 lifetime generalized tonic-clonic seizures. ..
- Barretto A, Santos A, Munhoz R, Rondon M, Franco F, Trombetta I, et al. Increased muscle sympathetic nerve activity predicts mortality in heart failure patients. Int J Cardiol. 2009;135:302-7 pubmed publisher..87 ml/min/100 ml (P=0.002). MSNA and forearm blood flow predict mortality rate in patients with heart failure. It remains unknown whether therapies that specifically target these abnormalities will improve survival in heart failure. ..
- Moura A, Teixeira R, Oiwa N, Costa M, Feitosa Santana C, Callegaro D, et al. Chromatic discrimination losses in multiple sclerosis patients with and without optic neuritis using the Cambridge Colour Test. Vis Neurosci. 2008;25:463-8 pubmed publisher..The CCT is a useful tool to help characterize vision losses in MS, and the relationship between these losses and degree of optic nerve involvement. ..
- Camargo S, Camargo C, Hiller K, Rode S, Schweikl H, Schmalz G. Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of pulp capping materials in two cell lines. Int Endod J. 2009;42:227-37 pubmed publisher..The COB and the two MTA preparations did not negatively influence cell survival or ROS production and may thus be further considered for pulp capping studies. ..
- Velosa A, Teodoro W, dos Anjos D, Konno R, Oliveira C, Katayama M, et al. Collagen V-induced nasal tolerance downregulates pulmonary collagen mRNA gene and TGF-beta expression in experimental systemic sclerosis. Respir Res. 2010;11:1 pubmed publisher..Additionally, it decreased TGF-beta expression, suggesting a promising therapeutic option for scleroderma treatment. ..
- Teles M, Silveira L, BIANCO S, Latronico A. Human diseases associated with GPR54 mutations. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2009;88:33-56 pubmed publisher..This chapter will describe the kisspeptin-GPR54 complex physiology and its current role in human diseases. ..
- de Souza Carvalho F, Carrijo Carvalho L, Chudzinski Tavassi A, Foronda A, de Freitas D. Serine-like proteolytic enzymes correlated with differential pathogenicity in patients with acute Acanthamoeba keratitis. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:603-9 pubmed publisher..Consequently, proteolytic enzymes of some Acanthamoeba trophozoites could be related to the degree of their virulence and clinical manifestations of disease in the human cornea...
- Izidoro M, Assis D, Oliveira V, Santos J, Juliano M, Lindberg I, et al. Effects of magnesium ions on recombinant human furin: selective activation of hydrolytic activity upon substrates derived from virus envelope glycoprotein. Biol Chem. 2010;391:1105-12 pubmed publisher..Both the pH profile of furin and its intrinsic fluorescence were modified by Mg²+ ions, which bind to furin with a K(d) value of 1.1 mM. ..
- Sabadin C, Benvegnú S, da Fontoura M, Saggin L, Tomimori J, Fischman O. Onychomycosis and tinea pedis in athletes from the State of Rio Grande Do Sul (Brazil): a cross-sectional study. Mycopathologia. 2011;171:183-9 pubmed publisher..This study concludes that despite the higher number of fungal infections in athletes, there is no significant difference between these groups...
- Araújo Neto S, Baracat E. Clinical progression of incidental tomographic findings in paranasal sinuses of asymptomatic individuals: cohort study. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2011;87:433-8 pubmed publisher..74; 95%CI 1.10-6.83) compared to those with no findings or discrete findings. Intense incidental sinus opacity on CT indicates a risk of future development of a clinical respiratory condition. ..
- Silva E, Machado D, Resende M, Silva R, Zanoteli E, Reed U. Motor function measure scale, steroid therapy and patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2012;70:191-5 pubmed..D1 (standing posture and transfers) and total score were useful to predict the loss of the ability to walk. The use of the MFM in DMD patients confirms the benefits of the steroid treatment for slowing the progression of the disease. ..
- ..We searched the recent literature (since 1 January 2011) using the following keywords in the title or abstract: hypospadia or hypospadias, in order to provide the reader with an updated view of the subject...
- Arbex M, Santos U, Martins L, Saldiva P, Pereira L, Braga A. Air pollution and the respiratory system. J Bras Pneumol. 2012;38:643-55 pubmed
- Meleti D, de Oliveira L, Araujo Júnior E, Caetano A, Boute T, Nardozza L, et al. Evaluation of passage of fetal erythrocytes into maternal circulation after invasive obstetric procedures. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2013;39:1374-82 pubmed publisher..Invasive obstetric procedures performed during prenatal care are safe when performed by experienced professionals with the proper technique, with minimal chance of passage of fetal erythrocytes into the maternal compartment. ..