Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Locale: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Publications912 found, 100 shown here
- Iniguez A, Leles D, Jaeger L, Carvalho Costa F, Araujo A. Genetic characterisation and molecular epidemiology of Ascaris spp. from humans and pigs in Brazil. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2012;106:604-12 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, in this study genetic characterisation of Ascaris spp. showed that humans and pigs share common haplotypes that are also present in two widely separated geographical regions of Brazil...
- Chaves E, Fortunato R, Carvalho D, Nascimento J, Oliveira M. Exercise-induced cardioprotection is impaired by anabolic steroid treatment through a redox-dependent mechanism. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;138:267-72 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that cardiotoxic effects of supraphysiological doses of AAS involve reduced heart antioxidant capacity. ..
- Monteiro F, Peretolchina T, Lazoski C, Harris K, Dotson E, Abad Franch F, et al. Phylogeographic pattern and extensive mitochondrial DNA divergence disclose a species complex within the Chagas disease vector Triatoma dimidiata. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70974 pubmed publisher..25 Mya. The evidence presented here strongly supports the proposition that T. dimidiata is a complex of five cryptic species (Groups I-IV plus T. hegneri) that play different roles as vectors of Chagas disease in the region. ..
- Dias C, Passaro C, Cagido V, Einicker Lamas M, Lowe J, Negri E, et al. Effects of undernutrition on respiratory mechanics and lung parenchyma remodeling. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2004;97:1888-96 pubmed
- Penido C, Costa M, Souza M, Costa K, Candea A, Benjamim C, et al. Involvement of CC chemokines in gammadelta T lymphocyte trafficking during allergic inflammation: the role of CCL2/CCR2 pathway. Int Immunol. 2008;20:129-39 pubmed..Overall, such results demonstrate that CCR2/CCL2 pathway is crucial for gammadelta T lymphocyte mobilization during the allergic response. ..
- Lamas C, Curi A, Bóia M, Lemos E. Human bartonellosis: seroepidemiological and clinical features with an emphasis on data from Brazil - a review. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2008;103:221-35 pubmed..This review provides updated information on clinical manifestations and seroepidemiological studies with an emphasis on data available from Brazil. ..
- Barroso Freitas A, Passos S, Mouta Confort E, Madeira M, Schubach A, Santos G, et al. Accuracy of an ELISA and indirect immunofluorescence for the laboratory diagnosis of American tegumentary leishmaniasis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2009;103:383-9 pubmed publisher..These results support the recommendation that ELISA employing L. braziliensis antigen be used as a diagnostic tool for suspected cases of ATL in L. braziliensis-endemic areas. ..
- Rodrigues L, Mejdalani G. Description of the Aguatala compsa young (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae: Cicadellinae) female. Neotrop Entomol. 2009;38:508-11 pubmed..The female genitalia of A. compsa are described in detail and compared with those of supposedly related genera belonging to the Erythrogonia generic group (sensu Young). ..
- Cavalcanti L, Freitas A, Brasil P, Cunha R. Surveillance of deaths caused by arboviruses in Brazil: from dengue to chikungunya. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:583-585 pubmed publisher..The major challenge ahead is to investigate deaths suspected of occurring due to arbovirus infections and to understand the role of each infection in the unfavourable outcome. ..
- Lima B, Fiorani M, Gattass R. Modulation by context of a scene in monkey anterior inferotemporal cortex during a saccadic eye movement task. An Acad Bras Cienc. 2003;75:71-6 pubmed..Nevertheless, when a peripheral target was turned on and the monkey had to make a SEM to it, some cells were capable of differentially coding the presence of the scene before and after the saccade. ..
- Silva Lopez R, Morgado Díaz J, Alves C, Corte Real S, Giovanni De Simone S. Subcellular localization of an extracellular serine protease in Leishmania (Leishmania) amazonensis. Parasitol Res. 2004;93:328-31 pubmed
- Cardenas M, De Souza W, Lanfredi R. Ultrastructure of Procamallanus (Spirocamallanus) halitrophus (Nematoda: Camallanidae) parasite of flounder. Parasitol Res. 2005;97:478-85 pubmed..The musculature is striated, and each muscle cell consists of individualized contractile and non-contractile regions. Inclusion bodies are present in the muscle fibers, hypodermis, hypodermal chord, and in the intestine...
- Lupi O, Tyring S, McGinnis M. Tropical dermatology: fungal tropical diseases. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005;53:931-51, quiz 952-4 pubmed..This review discusses some of the more common tropical subcutaneous and systemic mycoses, as well as their signs, symptoms, methods of diagnosis, and therapies...
- Maia C, Attias M, Urbina J, Gilbert I, Magaraci F, de Souza W. Azasterols impair Giardia lamblia proliferation and induces encystation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;363:310-6 pubmed..We propose that azasterols are effective chemotherapeutic drugs against Giardia lamblia in vitro and may have another target in cells besides sterol biosynthesis. ..
- Maya Monteiro C, Almeida P, D Avila H, Martins A, Rezende A, Castro Faria Neto H, et al. Leptin induces macrophage lipid body formation by a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase- and mammalian target of rapamycin-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2203-10 pubmed..Leptin-induced increased formation of cytoplasmic lipid bodies and enhanced inflammatory mediator production in macrophages may have implications for obesity-related cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Silva D, Cortez Moreira M, Cunha Bastos V, Cunha Bastos J, Martins Cortez C. Spectrofluorimetric study of the interaction of methyl-parathion with fish serum albumin. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2010;36:427-433 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that methyl-parathion forms a complex with fish albumin. The estimated association constant is 9.73 x 103 (+/- 4.9 x 102) M(-1) at 25 degrees C. ..
- de Meis L, Ketzer L, da Costa R, de Andrade I, Benchimol M. Fusion of the endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondrial outer membrane in rats brown adipose tissue: activation of thermogenesis by Ca2+. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9439 pubmed publisher..These finding indicate that Ca(2+) activation of thermogenesis may be a specific feature of BAT mitochondria not found in other mitochondria such as liver. ..
- Saddy F, Oliveira G, Garcia C, Nardelli L, Rzezinski A, Ornellas D, et al. Assisted ventilation modes reduce the expression of lung inflammatory and fibrogenic mediators in a model of mild acute lung injury. Intensive Care Med. 2010;36:1417-26 pubmed publisher..Among assisted ventilation modes, Bi-Vent + PSV demonstrated better functional results with less lung damage and expression of inflammatory mediators. ..
- de Freitas Junior J, Silva B, de Souza W, de Araujo W, Abdelhay E, Morgado Diaz J. Inhibition of N-linked glycosylation by tunicamycin induces E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion and inhibits cell proliferation in undifferentiated human colon cancer cells. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2011;68:227-38 pubmed publisher
- Mattos J, Matos V, Rodrigues M, Oliveira M, Dantas F, Santos Filho S, et al. Evaluation of deoxyribonucleic acid toxicity induced by the radiopharmaceutical 99mTechnetium-Methylenediphosphonic acid and by stannous chloride in Wistar rats. Molecules. 2012;17:12974-83 pubmed publisher..These findings are important for the practice of nuclear medicine. ..
- Pinto T, Costa N, Vianna Souza A, Silva L, Corrêa A, Fernandes F, et al. Distribution of serotypes and evaluation of antimicrobial susceptibility among human and bovine Streptococcus agalactiae strains isolated in Brazil between 1980 and 2006. Braz J Infect Dis. 2013;17:131-6 pubmed publisher..Also, the genetic heterogeneity described points out that erythromycin resistance in Brazil is rather due to horizontal gene transmission than to spreading of specific macrolide-resistant clones...
- Almeida A, Sousa V, Gasparetto N, da Silva G, Figueiredo F, Dutra V, et al. Canine visceral leishmaniasis: diagnostic approaches based on polymerase chain reaction employing different biological samples. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013;76:321-4 pubmed publisher..The finding that the lymph node aspirate produced high positivity rates and the fact that this specimen was obtained by noninvasive methods highlight its use in epidemiological survey by PCR for CanL diagnosis. ..
- Diniz L, Tortelli V, Matias I, Morgado J, Bérgamo Araujo A, Melo H, et al. Astrocyte Transforming Growth Factor Beta 1 Protects Synapses against A? Oligomers in Alzheimer's Disease Model. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6797-6809 pubmed publisher..Our results describe a new mechanism underlying the toxicity of A?Os and indicate novel therapeutic targets for Alzheimer's disease, mainly focused on TGF-?1 and astrocytes. ..
- Maldonado A, Vieira G, Lanfredi R. Echinostoma luisreyi n. sp. (Platyhelminthes: Digenea) by light and scanning electron microscopy. J Parasitol. 2003;89:800-8 pubmed..7:1.0. Also, the excretory pore is radially wrinkled and dorsally subterminal. Images obtained by scanning electron microscopy confirmed the characters that differentiate the new species and the most closely related species...
- Da Cruz D, Righetti De Abreu V, Van Sluys M. The effect of hummingbird flower mites on nectar availability of two sympatric Heliconia species in a Brazilian Atlantic forest. Ann Bot. 2007;100:581-8 pubmed..An investigation was made of the relationship between the pattern of nectar production and the effects of hummingbird flower mites in the flowers of two sympatric species of Heliconia (Heliconiaceae)...
- Bagetti Filho H, Pereira Sampaio M, Favorito L, Sampaio F. Pig kidney: anatomical relationships between the renal venous arrangement and the kidney collecting system. J Urol. 2008;179:1627-30 pubmed publisher..Although some results of intrarenal venous arrangement in pigs could not be completely transposed to humans, many similarities of pig and human kidneys support its use as the best animal model for urological procedures. ..
- Câmara Pereira E, Campos L, Vannier Santos M, Mermelstein C, Costa M. Distribution of cytoskeletal and adhesion proteins in adult zebrafish skeletal muscle. Histol Histopathol. 2009;24:187-96 pubmed publisher..Electron microscopical analysis in ultra-thin sections of adult zebrafish skeletal muscle showed bundles of collagen fibers and fibroblastic cells in the extracellular space of the myosepta...
- Sant Anna C, Parussini F, Lourenço D, de Souza W, Cazzulo J, Cunha e Silva N. All Trypanosoma cruzi developmental forms present lysosome-related organelles. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;130:1187-98 pubmed publisher..Based on these evidences, we suggest that all T. cruzi developmental stages present lysosome-related organelles that in epimastigotes have the additional and unique ability of storing cargo. ..
- Barcellos D, de Uzeda M, Ikuta N, Lunge V, Fonseca A, Kader I, et al. Identification of porcine intestinal spirochetes by PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of ribosomal DNA encoding 23S rRNA. Vet Microbiol. 2000;75:189-98 pubmed..innocens (II), Brachyspira murdochii (III), B. pilosicoli (IV) and B. alvinipulli (V). The 23S rRNA PCR/RFLP provided a relatively simple genotypic method for identification of porcine pathogenic B. hyodysenteriae and B. pilosicoli...
- Palatnik de Sousa C, Santos W, Casas C, Paraguai de Souza E, Tinoco L, da Silva B, et al. Protective vaccination against murine visceral leishmaniasis using aldehyde-containing Quillaja saponaria sapogenins. Vaccine. 2004;22:2470-9 pubmed..donovani (77% reduction in liver parasitic load). Our results suggest that the Riedel de Haen saponin is probably a Quillaja saponaria saponin...
- Matos D, Azeredo Coutinho R, Schubach A, Conceição Silva F, Baptista C, Moreira J, et al. Differential interferon- gamma production characterizes the cytokine responses to Leishmania and Mycobacterium leprae antigens in concomitant mucocutaneous leishmaniasis and lepromatous leprosy. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:e5-12 pubmed..Diffuse cutaneous leishmaniasis and lepromatous leprosy represent the anergic end of the spectrum, whereas mucocutaneous leishmaniasis and tuberculoid leprosy are associated with marked antigen-specific cellular immune response...
- Goldschmidt B, Menezes R, Alves L. The chromosomes of Rodentolepis nana (Siebold, 1852) Spasskii, 1954 obtained from naturally infected mice conventionally maintained in a Braziuan laboratory animal house. Parasite. 2006;13:75-7 pubmed..The studied species differed in chromosome morphology when compared to previous description by Mutafova and Gergova (1994) in Bulgaria, suggesting an intraspecific variation...
- Costa S, Azevedo A, Paes M, Sarges F, Freire M, Alves A. DNA vaccines against dengue virus based on the ns1 gene: the influence of different signal sequences on the protein expression and its correlation to the immune response elicited in mice. Virology. 2007;358:413-23 pubmed..Protection against DENV-2 was verified in pcTPANS1- and pcENS1-immunized mice, although the plasmid pcTPANS1 induced slight higher protective immunity. These plasmids seem to activate distinct patterns of the immune system. ..
- Pereira Neves A, Benchimol M. Phagocytosis by Trichomonas vaginalis: new insights. Biol Cell. 2007;99:87-101 pubmed..vaginalis is mediated by a mannose receptor present on the parasite surface; (12) the phagocytic process may occur simultaneously during mitosis of the parasite. ..
- De Souza A, Batista E, Pinheiro A, Carvalhaes M, Lopes A, de Souza W, et al. Entamoeba histolytica: ouabain-insensitive Na(+)-ATPase activity. Exp Parasitol. 2007;117:195-200 pubmed..12 +/- 0.004 mM. Furthermore, this enzyme forms a Na(+)- or K(+)-stimulated, furosemide- and hydroxylamine-sensitive ATP-driven acylphosphate phosphorylated intermediate. ..
- Fonseca A, Frydman J, Rocha V, Bernardo Filho M. Acetylsalicylic acid decreases the labeling of blood constituents with technetium-99M. Acta Biol Hung. 2007;58:187-98 pubmed..05) modified the fixation of 99mTc on blood cells. Considering the results, we suggest that acetylsalicylic acid used at therapeutic doses may interfere with the nuclear medicine procedures related to these blood constituents...
- Sampaio M, Bezerra I, Peçanha F, Fonseca P, Capella M, Lopes A. Lack of Na(+),K (+)-ATPase expression in intercalated cells may be compensated by Na(+)-ATPase: a study on MDCK - C11 cells. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2008;65:3093-9 pubmed publisher..Although further studies are necessary for a better understanding of these findings, the presence of Na(+)-ATPase may explain the adequate survival of cells that lack Na(+),K(+)-ATPase. ..
- Dias A, Tavares F, Costa E, da Silva E. Evaluation of a protocol for rapid diagnosis of enterovirus associated with acute flaccid paralysis cases. J Clin Virol. 2009;46:337-40 pubmed publisher..The proposed protocol showed higher sensitivity than the WHO gold standard, reducing the entire process of identification and typing of the isolates from the typically 14-21 days to only approximately 6-8 days. ..
- Herculano Houzel S, Mota B, Wong P, Kaas J. Connectivity-driven white matter scaling and folding in primate cerebral cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19008-13 pubmed publisher..We offer a white matter-based mechanism to account for increased cortical folding across species, which we propose to be driven by connectivity-related tension in the white matter, pulling down on the gray matter. ..
- Pierre M, Dos Santos Miranda Costa I. Liposomal systems as drug delivery vehicles for dermal and transdermal applications. Arch Dermatol Res. 2011;303:607-21 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, special characteristic vesicles like ethosomes, transfersomes and niosomes may be potential transdermal delivery systems for ionic molecules and polypeptides. ..
- De Felice F. Alzheimer's disease and insulin resistance: translating basic science into clinical applications. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:531-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, I discuss a rational basis for the use of antidiabetic agents as novel and potentially effective therapeutics in AD. ..
- de Almeida Nogueira N, Morgado Diaz J, Menna Barreto R, Paes M, da Silva Lopez R. Effects of a marine serine protease inhibitor on viability and morphology of Trypanosoma cruzi, the agent of Chagas disease. Acta Trop. 2013;128:27-35 pubmed publisher..cruzi physiology since the inhibition of their activity killed parasites in vitro as well as inducing important morphological alterations. Protease inhibitors thus appear to have a potential role as anti-trypanosomatidal agents. ..
- Schrago C, Mello B, Soares A. Combining fossil and molecular data to date the diversification of New World Primates. J Evol Biol. 2013;26:2438-46 pubmed publisher..We show that morphological data can be analysed using the same methodological framework applied in relaxed molecular clock studies. ..
- Begum R, Calaza K, Kam J, Salt T, Hogg C, Jeffery G. Near-infrared light increases ATP, extends lifespan and improves mobility in aged Drosophila melanogaster. Biol Lett. 2015;11: pubmed publisher..This may be a simple route to extending lifespan and improving function in old age. ..
- Da Motta F, Moreira F. Description of the nymphs of Triatoma pintodiasi Jurberg, Cunha & Rocha, 2013 (Hemiptera: Reduviidae: Triatominae). Zootaxa. 2015;3947:139-45 pubmed publisher..Such description is herein presented, along with comparison with other species of the rubrovaria subcomplex of species. ..
- Gonçalves A, Junqueira A, Abellana R, Barrio P, Terrazas W, Sodré F, et al. Prevalence of intestinal parasites and risk factors forspecific and multiple helminth infections in a remote city of the Brazilian Amazon. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2016;49:119-24 pubmed publisher..We reported a high prevalence of intestinal parasites and determined some poverty-related risk factors. ..
- da Silveira Júnior L, Souza Silva F, Pereira B, Cysne Finkelstein L, Cavalcanti Júnior G, Alves C. Exploring the Association of Surface Plasmon Resonance with Recombinant MHC:Ig Hybrid Protein as a Tool for Detecting T Lymphocytes in Mice Infected with Leishmania (Leishmania) amazonensis. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9089748 pubmed publisher..The experimental design proposed herein is an innovative approach for cellular immunology studies of a neglected disease, providing a useful tool for the analysis of specific T lymphocytes subsets. ..
- Schubach T, de Oliveira Schubach A, dos Reis R, Cuzzi Maya T, Blanco T, Monteiro D, et al. Sporothrix schenckii isolated from domestic cats with and without sporotrichosis in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Mycopathologia. 2002;153:83-6 pubmed..57%) oral swabs showed positive cultures. Isolation of S. schenckii from different clinical specimens during both the clinical and preclinical phase reinforces the zoonotic potential of feline sporotrichosis...
- Lilenbaum W, Monteiro R, Ristow P, Fraguas S, Cardoso V, Fedullo L. Leptospirosis antibodies in mammals from Rio de Janeiro Zoo, Brazil. Res Vet Sci. 2002;73:319-21 pubmed..Seropositivity was more common in the Carnivora Canidae (7/9), Procyonidae (5/9) and the Edentata Myrmecophagidae (5/9). Icterohaemorrhagiae was the most common serogroup. Seropositivity was less common in primates. ..
- Braulio V, Ten Have G, Vissers Y, Deutz N. Time course of nitric oxide production after endotoxin challenge in mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004;287:E912-8 pubmed..However, because Wb Cit, Gln, and Phe fluxes increased concomitantly with the second peak of NO production, NO production is probably related to the catabolic phase of endotoxemia. ..
- Marroig G, Cheverud J. Cranial evolution in sakis (Pithecia, Platyrrhini) I: interspecific differentiation and allometric patterns. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2004;125:266-78 pubmed..D2 distances obtained from these scale-corrected data are similar in magnitude and pattern to the original D2, but show a closer similarity of P. monacha with the Pithecia group. P. monacha is a scaled-up version of the smaller sakis. ..
- Sousa S, Bramante C, Taga E. Biocompatibility of EDTA, EGTA and citric acid. Braz Dent J. 2005;16:3-8 pubmed..05), but not between the 30-min and 1-h groups. Among the organic acids evaluated in this study, citric acid yielded the lowest amount of extracted dye. This indicates that the citric acid was the least irritating solution. ..
- de Fátima Madeira M, de O Schubach A, Schubach T, Pereira S, Figueiredo F, Baptista C, et al. Post mortem parasitological evaluation of dogs seroreactive for Leishmania from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Vet Parasitol. 2006;138:366-70 pubmed
- Nudi A, de Luca Rebello Wagener A, Francioni E, de Lemos Scofield A, Sette C, Veiga A. Validation of Ucides cordatus as a bioindicator of oil contamination and bioavailability in mangroves by evaluating sediment and crab PAH records. Environ Int. 2007;33:315-27 pubmed..Survival in highly contaminated environment and reliable record of environmental contamination in the tissue provide evidence that U. cordatus is an excellent bioindicator for oil in mangroves. ..
- Figueiredo M, Garcia E, Azambuja P. Blockades of phospholipase A(2) and platelet-activating factor receptors reduce the hemocyte phagocytosis in Rhodnius prolixus: in vitro experiments. J Insect Physiol. 2008;54:344-50 pubmed..In conclusion, phagocytosis of yeast cells by hemocytes is related to the activation of PAF receptors and eicosanoid pathways in the bloodsucking bug, R. prolixus. ..
- Hilário Souza E, Valverde R, Britto Borges T, Vieyra A, Lowe J. Golgi membranes from liver express an ATPase with femtomolar copper affinity, inhibited by cAMP-dependent protein kinase. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2011;43:358-62 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that this high-affinity copper pump in its natural environment is a target of the liver PKA pathway, being regulatory phosphorylation able to influence both turnover rate and ion affinity. ..
- Meuser Batista M, Corrêa J, Carvalho V, de Carvalho Britto C, Moreira O, Batista M, et al. Mast cell function and death in Trypanosoma cruzi infection. Am J Pathol. 2011;179:1894-904 pubmed publisher..These data illustrate the immunomodulatory role played by MCs in T. cruzi infection and the complexity of molecular interactions that control inflammatory pathways in different tissues and compartments. ..
- Rodrigues R, Castro Pinto D, Echevarria A, Dos Reis C, Del Cistia C, Sant Anna C, et al. Investigation of trypanothione reductase inhibitory activity by 1,3,4-thiadiazolium-2-aminide derivatives and molecular docking studies. Bioorg Med Chem. 2012;20:1760-6 pubmed publisher..Given TryR as a molecular target, it is important to continue the study of mesoionic compounds as part of a drug discovery campaign against Leishmaniasis or Chagas' disease. ..
- Cardoso A, Cavalcante J, Vieira R, Lima J, Grieco M, Clementino M, et al. Gut bacterial communities in the giant land snail Achatina fulica and their modification by sugarcane-based diet. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33440 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study represents a first step in gaining a better understanding of land snail gut microbiota and shows that this is a complex holobiont system containing diverse, abundant and active microbial communities. ..
- Emerenciano M, Kowarz E, Karl K, de Almeida Lopes B, Scholz B, Bracharz S, et al. Functional analysis of the two reciprocal fusion genes MLL-NEBL and NEBL-MLL reveal their oncogenic potential. Cancer Lett. 2013;332:30-4 pubmed publisher..The results obtained in this study suggest that the reciprocal fusion genes of the Nebulin gene family might be of biological importance. ..
- Ron S, Mueses Cisneros J, GutiÃ©rrez CÃ¡rdenas P, Rojas Rivera A, Lynch R, Rocha C, et al. Systematics of the endangered toad genus Andinophryne (Anura: Bufonidae): phylogenetic position and synonymy under the genus Rhaebo. Zootaxa. 2015;3947:347-66 pubmed publisher..including assessments of their conservation status. We suggest that the three species are Critically Endangered. Their altitudinal distribution and association with streams are characteristic of endangered Andean amphibians. ..
- Mayer Pinto M, Junqueira A. Effects of organic pollution on the initial development of fouling communities in a tropical bay, Brazil. Mar Pollut Bull. 2003;46:1495-503 pubmed..0001) in the polluted site and in panels transferred to it. The dominance shift is the first evidence that more meaningful changes can occur in the structure of fouling communities on a long-term scale. ..
- Marques R, Fontaine M, Rogers J. C-peptide: much more than a byproduct of insulin biosynthesis. Pancreas. 2004;29:231-8 pubmed
- Silva E, Guillermo L, Ribeiro Gomes F, De Meis J, Pereira R, Wu Z, et al. Caspase-8 activity prevents type 2 cytokine responses and is required for protective T cell-mediated immunity against Trypanosoma cruzi infection. J Immunol. 2005;174:6314-21 pubmed..These results suggest a critical role for caspase-8 in the establishment of T cell memory, cell signaling, and regulation of cytokine responses during protozoan infection. ..
- Almeida E, Costa P, Buckeridge M, Alves M. Potential bird dispersers of Psychotria in a area of Atlantic forest on Ilha Grande, RJ, Southeastern Brazil: a biochemical analysis of the fruits. Braz J Biol. 2006;66:1-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that what may influence the birds' choice of fruit is the proportion of starch in the Psychotria species studied here rather than the carbohydrate composition...
- Matos G, Covas C, Bittar R, Gomes Silva A, Marques F, Maniero V, et al. IFNG +874T/A polymorphism is not associated with American tegumentary leishmaniasis susceptibility but can influence Leishmania induced IFN-gamma production. BMC Infect Dis. 2007;7:33 pubmed..On the other hand, it is possible that in ML cases, other potential polymorphic regulatory genes such as TNF-alpha and IL-10 are also involved thus interfering with IFN-gamma secretion. ..
- Andrade G, Ladeira S, Battlehner C, Saldiva P, Caldini E. Molecular and ultrastructural studies of the fibrotic lesions of bovine focal proliferative fibrogranulomatous panniculitis (Lechiguana). Vet Res Commun. 2008;32:65-74 pubmed..The results strongly suggest the involvement of a myofibroblast-like cell population that expresses mRNA for type I collagen and is probably associated with the increase of collagen deposition...
- Filho A, da Costa S, Ribeiro M, Azevedo S. Effects of a saxitoxin-producer strain of Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii (cyanobacteria) on the swimming movements of cladocerans. Environ Toxicol. 2008;23:161-8 pubmed publisher..micrura was intermediate in sensitivity. This is the first report on the effects of cyanobacterial saxitoxins on movements of freshwater cladocerans, showing also difference in sensitivity among closely related Daphnia species...
- Fonseca de Souza A, Dick C, Dos Santos A, Meyer Fernandes J. A Mg(2+)-dependent ecto-phosphatase activity on the external surface of Trypanosoma rangeli modulated by exogenous inorganic phosphate. Acta Trop. 2008;107:153-8 pubmed publisher..Cells maintained at Pi-deprived medium (2 mM Pi) present Mg(2+)-dependent ecto-phosphatase activity approximately threefold higher than that maintained at Pi-supplemented medium (50 mM Pi). ..
- Dos Reis I, Honorio N, Codeço C, Magalhães M, Lourenco de Oliveira R, Barcellos C. Relevance of differentiating between residential and non-residential premises for surveillance and control of Aedes aegypti in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Acta Trop. 2010;114:37-43 pubmed publisher..Continuous monitoring with traps may be an effective way of evaluating non-residential premises as sources of dengue vectors for nearby communities. ..
- Cabanelas A, Cordeiro A, Santos Almeida N, Monteiro de Paula G, Coelho V, Ortiga Carvalho T, et al. Effect of triiodothyronine on adiponectin expression and leptin release by white adipose tissue of normal rats. Horm Metab Res. 2010;42:254-60 pubmed publisher..In this context, our results show for the first time a potential inhibitory effect of T3 on adiponectin mRNA expression specifically on WAT from a subcutaneous depot. ..
- Coura J, Borges Pereira J. Chagas disease: 100 years after its discovery. A systemic review. Acta Trop. 2010;115:5-13 pubmed publisher..The epidemiological and control characteristics of Chagas disease vary according to each country's ecological conditions and health policies. ..
- da Silva F, Tessis A, Ferreira P, Rangel L, Garcia Gomes A, Pereira F, et al. Oroidin inhibits the activity of the multidrug resistance target Pdr5p from yeast plasma membranes. J Nat Prod. 2011;74:279-82 pubmed publisher..This compound may help in the development of new drugs that reverse this dangerous phenotype of pathogenic yeast and fungi...
- Andrade B, Araujo R, Perry R, Souza E, Cazarin J, Carvalho D, et al. A novel role for AMP-kinase in the regulation of the Na+/I--symporter and iodide uptake in the rat thyroid gland. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2011;300:C1291-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, we provide novel evidence that AMPK is involved in the physiological regulation of iodide uptake, which is an essential step for the formation of thyroid hormones as well as for the regulation of thyroid function. ..
- Cavalcanti M, Mesquita J, Madi K, Feijó D, Assunção Miranda I, Souza H, et al. MIF participates in Toxoplasma gondii-induced pathology following oral infection. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25259 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggested that in susceptible hosts MIF controls T. gondii infection with the cost of increasing local and systemic inflammation, tissue damage and death. ..
- Ferrão F, Lara L, Axelband F, Dias J, Carmona A, Reis R, et al. Exposure of luminal membranes of LLC-PK1 cells to ANG II induces dimerization of AT1/AT2 receptors to activate SERCA and to promote Ca2+ mobilization. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012;302:F875-83 pubmed publisher..This first report on the regulation of SERCA activity by ANG II shows a new mechanism for Ca(2+) homeostasis in renal cells and also for regulation of Ca(2+)-modulated fluid reabsorption in proximal tubules. ..
- Castro D, Moraes C, Gonzalez M, Ratcliffe N, Azambuja P, Garcia E. Trypanosoma cruzi immune response modulation decreases microbiota in Rhodnius prolixus gut and is crucial for parasite survival and development. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36591 pubmed publisher..We conclude that infection of R. prolixus with the T. cruzi Dm28c clone modifies the host gut immune responses to decrease the microbiota population and these changes are crucial for the parasite development in the insect gut. ..
- Mendez Otero R, Ramon Cueto A. Expression of 9-O-acetylated gangliosides during development of the rat olfactory system. Neuroreport. 1994;5:1755-9 pubmed
- De Oliveira A, Silva I, Manhães Rocha D, Paumgartten F. Induction of liver monooxygenases by annatto and bixin in female rats. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2003;36:113-8 pubmed..3x) and BROD (1.9x) and did not alter PROD, A4H or ECOD activities. These results suggest that constituents of the extract other than bixin play an important role in the induction of CYP1A and CYP2B observed with annatto food colorings...
- Coelho E, Urmenyi T, Franco Da Silveira J, Rondinelli E, Silva R. Identification of PDZ5, a candidate universal minicircle sequence binding protein of Trypanosoma cruzi. Int J Parasitol. 2003;33:853-8 pubmed..These data strongly suggest that PDZ5 represents a Trypanosoma cruzi universal minicircle sequence binding protein. ..
- Lourenco de Oliveira R, Vazeille M, de Filippis A, Failloux A. Aedes aegypti in Brazil: genetically differentiated populations with high susceptibility to dengue and yellow fever viruses. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2004;98:43-54 pubmed..Considering the high densities of A. aegypti, and its high susceptibility to dengue and yellow fever viruses, the risk of dengue epidemics and yellow fever urbanization in Brazil is more real than ever...
- Nepomuceno Silva J, de Melo L, Mendon S, Paix o J, Lopes U. RJLs: a new family of Ras-related GTP-binding proteins. Gene. 2004;327:221-32 pubmed publisher..Expression analysis of RJLs from chordates suggests predominant expression in nervous tissues, possibly reflecting a role for RJLs in the development or maintenance of the sophisticated chordate nervous system...
- Machado Silva J, Neves R, Ormond L, Hulstijn M, Gomes D. [Characterization of Schistosoma mansoni strains by morphometry of adult worms derived from single-sex infection]. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2003;36:755-7 pubmed..05) regarding suckers, testicular lobes, ovary and thickness of the tegument. Data show that morphometric study of unisexual infection worms can be also used for characterization of Schistosoma mansoni strains...
- Xavier S, Vaz V, D Andrea P, Herrera L, Emperaire L, Alves J, et al. Mapping of the distribution of Trypanosoma cruzi infection among small wild mammals in a conservation unit and its surroundings (Northeast-Brazil). Parasitol Int. 2007;56:119-28 pubmed..The impact of biodiversity loss on the transmission cycle of T. cruzi in the wild environment was discussed. ..
- Atella G, Bittencourt Cunha P, Nunes R, Shahabuddin M, Silva Neto M. The major insect lipoprotein is a lipid source to mosquito stages of malaria parasite. Acta Trop. 2009;109:159-62 pubmed publisher..Phospholipid transfer to sporozoites was also demonstrated. In conclusion, these results demonstrate for the first time that malaria parasite undergoes lipid uptake while in the invertebrate host. ..
- Wanderley J, Pinto da Silva L, Deolindo P, Soong L, Borges V, Prates D, et al. Cooperation between apoptotic and viable metacyclics enhances the pathogenesis of Leishmaniasis. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5733 pubmed publisher..Since both processes confer selective advantages to the infective microorganism they justify the occurrence of apoptotic features in a unicellular pathogen. ..