Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil
Locale: Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil
Publications249 found, 100 shown here
- Silva M, Ximenes R, da Costa J, Leal L, de Lopes A, Viana G. Comparative anticonvulsant activities of the essential oils (EOs) from Cymbopogon winterianus Jowitt and Cymbopogon citratus (DC) Stapf. in mice. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2010;381:415-26 pubmed publisher..In addition, their effects on inflammatory biomarkers can also contribute to their central nervous system activity. ..
- Martins Melo F, Ramos A, Alencar C, Heukelbach J. Mortality due to Chagas disease in Brazil from 1979 to 2009: trends and regional differences. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2012;6:817-24 pubmed publisher..We analyzed mortality trends due to Chagas disease in Brazil and regions, between 1979 and 2009...
- Kerr L, Mota R, Kendall C, Pinho A, Mello M, Guimarães M, et al. HIV among MSM in a large middle-income country. AIDS. 2013;27:427-35 pubmed publisher..To conduct the first national biological and behavioral surveillance survey for HIV among MSM in Brazil...
- Medeiros M, Xavier de Oliveira Ã, Ribeiro Ã. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in a cohort of systemic lupus erythematosus patients from Northeastern Brazil: association with disease activity, nephritis, smoking, and age. Rheumatol Int. 2016;36:117-24 pubmed publisher..MetS components should be routinely investigated to minimize the occurrence of MetS and associated cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. ..
- Cavalcanti L, Braga D, da Silva L, Aguiar M, Castiglioni M, Silva Junior J, et al. Postmortem Diagnosis of Dengue as an Epidemiological Surveillance Tool. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2016;94:187-92 pubmed publisher..This is the largest series of autopsies performed in cases of death related to dengue in the world to date. ..
- Correia J, Costa A, Rocha E, Quidute A, Cândido D, Ponciano Â, et al. Pharmacotherapeutic follow-up of patients with Chagas disease using benznidazole: drug-related problems and pharmaceutical interventions. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2017;50:334-340 pubmed publisher..4%). This study indicates the need for pharmacotherapeutic monitoring in patients with Chagas because of the high number of therapeutic interventions, DRPs (approximately 3 DRPs/patient), BNZ adherence, and polypharmacy. ..
- Pontes Arruda A, Aragão A, Albuquerque J. Effects of enteral feeding with eicosapentaenoic acid, gamma-linolenic acid, and antioxidants in mechanically ventilated patients with severe sepsis and septic shock. Crit Care Med. 2006;34:2325-33 pubmed
- Filho J, Manzi F, de Freitas D, Boscolo F, de Almeida S. Evaluation of temporomandibular joint in stress-free patients. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2007;36:336-40 pubmed..75% did not present joint pain during palpation. Image screening showed that 70% of TMJ presented normal disc position. Only one patient (1.25%) presented TMD. The absence of stress is a strong factor for the non-development of TMD. ..
- Faria M, Rabenhorst S, Pereira A, Krieger J. A novel TBX5 missense mutation (V263M) in a family with atrial septal defects and postaxial hexodactyly. Int J Cardiol. 2008;130:30-5 pubmed publisher..These new data extend our clinical and molecular knowledge of TBX5 gene mutations and also raise interesting questions about the phenotype heterogeneity regarding these gene alterations. ..
- Nogueira F, Medeiros F, Barroso L, Miranda E, de Castro J, Mota Filho F. Infrared digital telethermography: a new method for early detection of varicocele. Fertil Steril. 2009;92:361-2 pubmed publisher..Infrared digital telethermography is presented as a new diagnostic tool for early presentation of varicocele. ..
- de Lima G, de Cerqueira J, da Silveira R, de Moura Reis P, Rocha M, Regadas R, et al. Laparoscopic surgery in 46,XX disorder of sex development: hysterosalpingectomy with gonadectomy. J Endourol. 2010;24:27-9 pubmed publisher..We present the outcomes of one of the largest series specifically of laparoscopic hysterosalpingectomy with bilateral gonadectomy in 46,XX patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia raised as a male...
- Bezerra S, Leal L, Nogueira N, Pinto N, Campos A. Bisabolol-induced gastroprotection against acute gastric lesions: role of prostaglandins, nitric oxide, and KATP+ channels. J Med Food. 2009;12:1403-6 pubmed publisher..Thus we provide evidence that alpha-bisabolol reduces the gastric damage induced by ethanol, at least in part, by the mechanism of activation of KATP+ channels. ..
- Ribeiro da Silva S, Leite da Silva S, de Francesco Daher E, de Holanda Campos H, Bruno da Silva C. Composition of kidney stone fragments obtained after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2010;48:403-4 pubmed publisher..1%). Our findings indicate that the composition of kidney stone fragments recovered after ESWL can be determined. Knowledge of stone composition is fundamental to understand the etiology of lithogenesis. ..
- Rios E, Venâncio E, Rocha N, Woods D, Vasconcelos S, Macedo D, et al. Melatonin: pharmacological aspects and clinical trends. Int J Neurosci. 2010;120:583-90 pubmed publisher..These effects and uses of melatonin are mentioned but further confirmatory studies are needed in most of them. ..
- Marques F, Libório A, Daher E. Effect of chloride dialysate concentration on metabolic acidosis in maintenance hemodialysis patients. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2010;43:996-1000 pubmed..When we applied the Stewart model, we demonstrated that the lower concentration of chloride dialysate interfered with the control of metabolic acidosis in HD patients, surprisingly, through the effect on unmeasured anions. ..
- Daher E, Silva G, de Abreu K, Mota R, Batista D, Rocha N, et al. Leptospirosis-associated acute kidney injury: penicillin at the late stage is still controversial. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2012;37:420-5 pubmed publisher..The use of penicillins at the late stage of leptospirosis is still controversial. We aimed to evaluate the use of penicillin in patients with leptospirosis-associated acute kidney injury (AKI)...
- Filho R, Bandeira S, Brillhante R, Rocha M, Vasconcelos I, Pereira M, et al. Biochemical characterization of an in-house Coccidioides antigen: perspectives for the immunodiagnosis of coccidioidomycosis. Molecules. 2012;17:7854-63 pubmed publisher..Our in-house Coccidioides antigen can be promising as a quick and low-cost diagnostic tool without the risk of direct manipulation of the microorganism. ..
- Brilhante R, Bandeira T, Cordeiro R, Grangeiro T, Lima R, Ribeiro J, et al. Clinical-epidemiological features of 13 cases of melioidosis in Brazil. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:3349-52 pubmed publisher..These findings support the inclusion of this Brazilian state as part of the zone of endemicity for melioidosis. ..
- Alencar C, Ramos A, Sena Neto S, Murto C, Alencar M, Barbosa J, et al. [Leprosy diagnosis in municipalities other than the patients' place of residence: spatial analysis, 2001-2009]. Cad Saude Publica. 2012;28:1685-98 pubmed..The flow indicates gaps in the decentralization of comprehensive care for persons with leprosy and calls attention to the difficulties associated with patient monitoring during and after multidrug therapy...
- Henriques A, Carvalho F, Feitosa H, Macena R, Mota R, Alencar J. Endothelial dysfunction after pregnancy-induced hypertension. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2014;124:230-4 pubmed publisher..The frequency of endothelial dysfunction was 60% among all women, with a significant difference between the 2 groups (P=0.01). Women with a history of PIH were found to have a higher frequency of long-term endothelial dysfunction. ..
- Carvalho A, Takwoingi Y, Sales P, Soczynska J, KÃ¶hler C, Freitas T, et al. Screening for bipolar spectrum disorders: A comprehensive meta-analysis of accuracy studies. J Affect Disord. 2015;172:337-46 pubmed publisher..More studies in other settings (for example, in primary care) are necessary. ..
- Dantas T, Nascimento I, Verde M, Alves A, Sousa F, Mota M. Multifocal oral melanoacanthoma associated with Addison's disease and hyperthyroidism: a case report. Arch Endocrinol Metab. 2017;61:403-407 pubmed publisher..This case reinforces the hypothesis of a reactive nature for oral melanoacanthoma and highlights the need for investigation of endocrine disorders in patients with multifocal oral melanoacanthoma...
- Pereira L, Villas Bôas R, Scott S, Nóbrega P, Sobreira Neto M, Castro J, et al. Encephalitis associated with the chikungunya epidemic outbreak in Brazil: report of 2 cases with neuroimaging findings. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2017;50:413-416 pubmed publisher..Neurologic complications of chikungunya infection have been reported. Here we report the clinical and neuroimaging data of 2 patients with chikungunya-associated encephalitis during the recent Brazilian epidemic. ..
- Monte C, Ashworth A, Nations M, Lima A, Barreto A, Huttly S. Designing educational messages to improve weaning food hygiene practices of families living in poverty. Soc Sci Med. 1997;44:1453-64 pubmed..This approach, with its combination of qualitative and quantitative methods and community focus, is recommended for future studies to design hygiene and other health education interventions in developing countries. ..
- Barroso A, Lima V, Guzzo G, Moraes R, Vasconcellos M, Bezerra M, et al. Efficacy and safety of combined piroxicam, dexamethasone, orphenadrine, and cyanocobalamin treatment in mandibular molar surgery. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2006;39:1241-7 pubmed
- Vieira A, Meneses J, Maia R. Cementoblastoma related to a primary tooth: a case report. J Oral Pathol Med. 2007;36:117-9 pubmed..Additionally, the radiographic and histologic findings of the lesion are described in details. ..
- Gondim A, Falcão C. [Evaluation of Brazilian online pharmacies]. Rev Saude Publica. 2007;41:297-300 pubmed..Since health control and drug commerce in Brazilian online pharmacies have not been yet regulated by proper government agencies, these gaps found in the sites can pose risk to the users' health. ..
- Costa P, Ferreira P, Bolzani V, Furlan M, de Freitas Formenton Macedo Dos Santos V, Corsino J, et al. Antiproliferative activity of pristimerin isolated from Maytenus ilicifolia (Celastraceae) in human HL-60 cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2008;22:854-63 pubmed publisher..The present data point to the importance of pristimerin as representative of an emerging class of potential anticancer chemicals, exhibiting an antiproliferative effect by inhibiting DNA synthesis and triggering apoptosis...
- Daher E, Evangelista L, Silva Junior G, Lima R, Aragão E, Arruda G, et al. Clinical presentation and renal evaluation of human visceral leishmaniasis (kala-azar): a retrospective study of 57 patients in Brazil. Braz J Infect Dis. 2008;12:329-32 pubmed..3mg/dL group. Renal dysfunction is an important feature of this disease; it is associated with important morbidity and can increase mortality. ..
- Fontenele J, Leal L, Silveira E, Felix F, Bezerra Felipe C, Viana G. Antiplatelet effects of piplartine, an alkamide isolated from Piper tuberculatum: possible involvement of cyclooxygenase blockade and antioxidant activity. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2009;61:511-5 pubmed publisher..It has been reported to show multiple pharmacological activities in vitro and in vivo...
- Saboia V, Silva F, Nato F, Mazzoni A, Cadenaro M, Mazzotti G, et al. Analysis of differential artificial ageing of the adhesive interface produced by a two-step etch-and-rinse adhesive. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009;117:618-24 pubmed publisher..NaOCl solution is a rapid and reliable in vitro ageing method for examining the durability of the adhesive interface produced by two-step etch-and-rinse adhesive systems. ..
- Verissimo R, Gurgel Filho E, De Deus G, Coutinho Filho T, de Souza Filho F. Coronal leakage of four intracanal medications after exposure to human saliva in the presence of a temporary filling material. Indian J Dent Res. 2010;21:35-9 pubmed..The NaOCl group showed the highest worst average of recontamination; on the other hand, high averages were also shown by Ca(OH) 2 + CPMC and Ca(OH) 2 + 2% CHX in gel. ..
- Frota C, Freitas M, Foss N, Lima L, Rodrigues L, Barreto M, et al. Seropositivity to anti-phenolic glycolipid-I in leprosy cases, contacts and no known contacts of leprosy in an endemic and a non-endemic area in northeast Brazil. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2010;104:490-5 pubmed publisher..The study indicates that anti-PGL-I antibodies are not useful as immunological markers of household leprosy contacts and no known leprosy contacts in endemic areas...
- Cavalcante G, Capistrano V, Cavalcante F, Vasconcelos S, Macedo D, Sousa F, et al. Implications of efavirenz for neuropsychiatry: a review. Int J Neurosci. 2010;120:739-45 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms involved in these changes include interference with cytochrome P450 enzymes, cytokines, tryptophan-2-3-dioxygenase, and brain creatine kinase. ..
- Ribeiro J, Coelho P, Janal M, Silva N, Monteiro A, Fernandes C. The influence of temporary cements on dental adhesive systems for luting cementation. J Dent. 2011;39:255-62 pubmed publisher..The use of eugenol-containing temporary cements prior to indirect bonding restorations reduce, to a statistically similar extent, the bond strength of both total- and self-etching adhesive systems to dentine. ..
- Nogueira R, Faria M, Osterne R, Cavalcante R, Ribeiro R, Rabenhorst S. Glucocorticoid and calcitonin receptor expression in central giant cell lesions: implications for therapy. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41:994-1000 pubmed publisher..An H-score greater than 48 for glucocorticoid receptors in multinucleated giant cells predicted a good response in this study. ..
- Farias D, Souza T, Viana M, Soares B, Cunha A, Vasconcelos I, et al. Antibacterial, antioxidant, and anticholinesterase activities of plant seed extracts from Brazilian semiarid region. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:510736 pubmed publisher..9 µg/mL). Infrared spectroscopy of six representative extracts attested the presence of tannins, polyphenols, and flavonoids, which was confirmed by a qualitative phytochemical assay. ..
- Arruda J, Costa C, Tella O. Results of the treatment of syringomyelia associated with Chiari malformation: analysis of 60 cases. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2004;62:237-44 pubmed..Syringomyelia signs improved statistically more than CM signs. In half of patients, the percent improvement of signs and symptoms ranged between 40% and 60%...
- Barbosa J, Ramos A, Alencar M, Castro C. [Post-treatment of Leprosy in Ceará: activity and functional limitation, safety awareness and social participation]. Rev Bras Enferm. 2008;61 Spec No:727-33 pubmed..6%) didn't present restriction and had EHF scores zero. Two (2.9%) with EHF score zero had mild restriction, and 1 (1.5%) severe restriction. This study reaffirms the potentiality of these tools for integral care of people reached. ..
- Sousa R, Zanin I, Lima J, Vasconcelos S, Melo M, Beltrão H, et al. In situ effects of restorative materials on dental biofilm and enamel demineralisation. J Dent. 2009;37:44-51 pubmed publisher..In the context of fluoride dentifrice and under the cariogenic exposure conditions of this study, only the encapsulated resin-modified glass ionomer material provided additional protection against secondary caries. ..
- Lima J, Sampaio de Melo M, Borges F, Teixeira A, Steiner Oliveira C, Nobre dos Santos M, et al. Evaluation of the antimicrobial effect of photodynamic antimicrobial therapy in an in situ model of dentine caries. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009;117:568-74 pubmed publisher..To conclude, PACT was effective in killing oral microorganisms present in dentine caries produced in situ and may be a useful technique for eliminating bacteria from dentine carious lesions before restoration. ..
- Alves W, Aguiar E, Guimarães S, da Silva Filho A, Pinheiro P, Soares G, et al. L-alanyl-glutamine preoperative infusion in patients with critical limb ischemia subjected to distal revascularization reduces tissue damage and protects from oxidative stress. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010;24:461-7 pubmed publisher..Reduction in creatine phosphokinase blood concentrations may reflect smaller muscle cell damage in l-Ala-Gln-treated patients. l-Ala-Gln pretreatment reduces muscle cell damage and enhances antioxidant capacity in patients with CLI. ..
- Murad Regadas S, Regadas F, Barreto R, Rodrigues L, Fernandes G, Lima D. Is dynamic two-dimensional anal ultrasonography useful in the assessment of anismus? A comparison with manometry. Arq Gastroenterol. 2010;47:368-72 pubmed..Two-dimensional dynamic anal ultrasonography showed similar results previously suggested by anal manometry at identifying patients with normal relaxation or paradoxical contraction. ..
- Medeiros C, Bruin V, Castro Silva C, Araujo S, Chaves Junior C, Bruin P. Neck circumference, a bedside clinical feature related to mortality of acute ischemic stroke. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992). 2011;57:559-64 pubmed..The aim of this study was to evaluate clinical/demographic factors, sleep alterations and one year mortality in acute ischemic stroke...
- Martins Melo F, Alencar C, Ramos A, Heukelbach J. Epidemiology of mortality related to Chagas' disease in Brazil, 1999-2007. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1508 pubmed publisher..Despite the decline of mortality associated with Chagas' disease in Brazil, the disease remains a serious public health problem with marked regional differences. ..
- Fernandes C, Gonçalves H, Cabral P, Pinto H, Pinto M, Câmara L. Increased frequency of CD4 and CD8 regulatory T cells in individuals under 15 years with multibacillary leprosy. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79072 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the involvement of these cells in the perpetuation of M. leprae infection. ..
- Lima T, Teles L, de Oliveira A, Campos F, Barbosa R, Pinheiro A, et al. [Vaginal discharge in pregnant women: comparison between syndromic approach and examination of clinical nursing practice]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2013;47:1265-71 pubmed publisher..A continuous effort must be directed for development of effective tests in order to prevent the spread of infection and reduce the number of unnecessary treatments. ..
- de Vasconcelos B, VerÃssimo Chaves R, Vivacqua Gomes N, Candeiro G, Bernardes R, Vivan R, et al. ExÂ Vivo Evaluation of the Accuracy of Electronic Foramen Locators in Root Canals with an Obstructed Apical Foramen. J Endod. 2015;41:1551-4 pubmed publisher..05). The absence of foraminal patency caused by dentin debris obstruction affects the accuracy of theÂ EFLs differently, suggesting distinctive interactions with their operating mechanisms. ..
- Tavares K, Dias A, Lazzarotto C, Gaudencio Neto S, de SÃ¡ Carneiro I, Ongaratto F, et al. Transient Expression of Functional Glucocerebrosidase for Treatment of Gaucher's Disease in the Goat Mammary Gland. Mol Biotechnol. 2016;58:47-55 pubmed publisher..Further studies are underway to determine the in vivo delivery capacity of milk-hGCase, but results from this study paves the way toward the generation of transgenic goats constitutively expressing hGCase in the milk. ..
- Stefani M, Avanzi C, Bührer Sékula S, Benjak A, Loiseau C, Singh P, et al. Whole genome sequencing distinguishes between relapse and reinfection in recurrent leprosy cases. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005598 pubmed publisher..leprae DNA extracted from biopsies to discriminate between cases of relapse and reinfection, thereby providing a powerful tool for evaluating different outcomes of therapeutic regimens and for following disease transmission. ..
- Fernandes G, Sternberg C, Lopes G, Chammas R, Gifoni M, Gil R, et al. The use of biosimilar medicines in oncology - position statement of the Brazilian Society of Clinical Oncology (SBOC). Braz J Med Biol Res. 2018;51:e7214 pubmed publisher..We expect the conveyed information to serve as a basis for further discussion in Latin America, this being the first position paper issued by a Latin American Oncology Society. ..
- Medeiros M, Silveira V, Menezes A, Carvalho R. Risk factors for ovarian failure in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2001;34:1561-8 pubmed..Thyroid problems may be another risk factor for ovarian failure in patients with lupus. ..
- Santiago S, Passos V, Vieira A, Navarro M, Lauris J, Franco E. Two-year clinical evaluation of resinous restorative systems in non-carious cervical lesions. Braz Dent J. 2010;21:229-34 pubmed..02), marginal integrity (p=0.002) and anatomic form (p=0.04). Therefore, the one-bottle etch-and-rinse bonding system/resin composite showed an inferior clinical performance compared to the RMGIC. ..
- Crisóstomo M, Crisóstomo M, Crisóstomo M, Gondim V, Crisóstomo M, Benevides A. Hair loss due to lichen planopilaris after hair transplantation: a report of two cases and a literature review. An Bras Dermatol. 2011;86:359-62 pubmed..Similar reports are rare. When lichen planopilaris is suspected, a biopsy of the scalp must be performed to avoid transplantation during disease activity...
- Lima A, Kvalsund M, Souza P, Figueiredo I, Soares A, Mota R, et al. Zinc, vitamin A, and glutamine supplementation in Brazilian shantytown children at risk for diarrhea results in sex-specific improvements in verbal learning. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2013;68:351-8 pubmed..The findings suggest that combination therapy offers a sex-specific advantage on tests of verbal learning, similar to that seen among female patients following traumatic brain injury. ..
- Gondim J, Schops M, Ferreira E. Hypopituitarism and amenorrhea-galactorrhea syndrome caused by thrombosis of both internal carotid artery and giant intrasellar aneurysm: case report. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2004;62:158-61 pubmed..A transseptal endoscopic biopsy was done and confirmed a thrombosed aneurysm. No other surgical treatment was required in this patient but permanent endocrinological treatment was necessary. ..
- Daher E, Silva G, Cezar L, Lima R, Gurjão N, Mota R, et al. Renal dysfunction in leprosy: a historical cohort of 923 patients in Brazil. Trop Doct. 2011;41:148-50 pubmed publisher..5, P = 0.02) and advanced age (OR = 1.04, P = 0.01). Four patients (0.4%) died. Leprosy is associated with renal dysfunction, especially in older patients and those presenting with reaction episode and multibacillary classification. ..
- Slyepchenko A, Maes M, KÃ¶hler C, Anderson G, Quevedo J, Alves G, et al. T helper 17 cells may drive neuroprogression in major depressive disorder: Proposal of an integrative model. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2016;64:83-100 pubmed publisher..The clinical and research implications of this model are discussed. ..
- Gonzaga Silva L, Tavares J, Freitas F, Tomas Filho M, Oliveira V, Lima M. The isolated gamma probe technique for sentinel node penile carcinoma detection is unreliable. Int Braz J Urol. 2007;33:58-63; discussion 64-7 pubmed..Therefore it is highly advisable the addition of others methods such as lymphoscintigraphy, vital blue, ultrasonography and so on. The isolated gamma probe technique for sentinel node penile carcinoma detection is unreliable. ..
- Ramos A, Matida L, Saraceni V, Veras M, Pontes R. Control of mother-to-child transmission of infectious diseases in Brazil: progress in HIV/AIDS and failure in congenital syphilis. Cad Saude Publica. 2007;23 Suppl 3:S370-8 pubmed..The elimination of congenital syphilis does not require expensive drugs, and diagnostic tools, but a long-term sustainable approach...
- Cavalcanti B, Sombra C, de Oliveira J, Berlinck R, de Moraes M, Pessoa C. Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of ingenamine G isolated from the Brazilian marine sponge Pachychalina alcaloidifera. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2008;147:409-15 pubmed publisher..The presence of genotoxicity and polyploidy during interphase and mitosis, respectively, suggests that ingenamine G at high concentrations is clastogenic and indirectly affects the construction of mitotic fuse. ..
- Daher E, Silva G, Karbage N, Carvalho P, Kataoka R, Silva E, et al. Predictors of oliguric acute kidney injury in leptospirosis. A retrospective study on 196 consecutive patients. Nephron Clin Pract. 2009;112:c25-30 pubmed publisher..Acute kidney injury (AKI) occurs in 10 to 60% of patients with leptospirosis. The aim of this study is to investigate markers for oliguric AKI in leptospirosis...
- de Castro Silva C, de Bruin V, Cavalcante A, Bittencourt L, de Bruin P. Nocturnal hypoxia and sleep disturbances in cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2009;44:1143-50 pubmed publisher..There are no significant differences in sleep architecture between clinically stable CF cases with and without significant lung disease. ..
- Medeiros C, de Bruin P, Paiva T, Coutinho W, Ponte R, de Bruin V. Clinical outcome after acute ischaemic stroke: the influence of restless legs syndrome. Eur J Neurol. 2011;18:144-9 pubmed publisher..005) in patients with RLS, remaining after adjustment for diabetes and body mass index (P < 0.05). patients with acute stroke and RLS have worse clinical outcome, at three and 12 months of follow-up. ..
- Regadas R, Moraes M, Mesquita F, Cerqueira J, Gonzaga Silva L. Experimental model of human corpus cavernosum smooth muscle relaxation. Int Braz J Urol. 2010;36:490-4; discussion 495-6 pubmed..The harvesting technique and the smooth muscle contraction-relaxation model described in this study were shown to be useful instruments in the search for new drugs for the treatment of human erectile dysfunction. ..
- Almeida P, Ferreira F, Santos C, Rocha Filho F, Feitosa R, Falcão E, et al. Immunoexpression of cyclooxygenase-2 in primary gastric carcinomas and lymph node metastases. World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:778-84 pubmed publisher..0108). COX-2 immunoexpression occurs frequently in primary gastric carcinomas, but higher expression of this enzyme is observed in lymph node metastases of the diffuse histotype. ..
- de Albuquerque A, Rocha L, de Morais Batista A, Teixeira A, Dos Santos D, Nogueira N. Association of polymorphism +874 A/T of interferon-? and susceptibility to the development of tuberculosis: meta-analysis. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012;31:2887-95 pubmed publisher..56; 95% CI?=?1.42-1.71). This information reinforces the importance of host genetics in the development of infectious diseases. Studies in this area can result in the promotion of new and more accurate genetic markers. ..
- das Chagas Medeiros M, Bezerra M, Braga F, da Justa FeijÃ£o M, Gois A, RebouÃ§as V, et al. Clinical and immunological aspects and outcome of a Brazilian cohort of 414 patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE): comparison between childhood-onset, adult-onset, and late-onset SLE. Lupus. 2016;25:355-63 pubmed publisher
- de Souza A, dos Santos D, Rey L, Medeiros M, Vieira M, Coelho H. Off-label use and harmful potential of drugs in a NICU in Brazil: A descriptive study. BMC Pediatr. 2016;16:13 pubmed publisher..6Â % of the neonates, a percentage even higher when considering immature neonates. Immature neonates in a Brazilian NICU are exposed to a variety of OL, UL and potentially harmful drugs and excipients. ..
- Nasserala J, Oliveira C, Cerqueira J, Souza S, Silva S, Santos L, et al. Artery Stenosis of the Renal Graft: Experience of a Center of Northeastern Brazil. Transplant Proc. 2016;48:74-80 pubmed publisher..8 mg/dL, P = .04). Grafts with 2 or more arteries are associated with TRAS, as well as patients who use a higher number of anti-hypertensive drugs. TRAS repair was associated with improved blood pressure control and renal function. ..
- Silva M, Barros M, Pessoa Ã, Guinsburg R. Kangaroo-mother care method and neurobehavior of preterm infants. Early Hum Dev. 2016;95:55-9 pubmed publisher..PT submitted to the KMC, compared to those non-submitted, have better neurobehavior performance between 36 and 41 weeks of post-conceptual age. ..
- Regadas F, Murad Regadas S, Wexner S, Rodrigues L, Souza M, Silva F, et al. Anorectal three-dimensional endosonography and anal manometry in assessing anterior rectocele in women: a new pathogenesis concept and the basic surgical principle. Colorectal Dis. 2007;9:80-5 pubmed..In fact, the denomination 'rectocele' should be changed to 'anorectocele'. ..
- Bezerra D, de Castro F, Alves A, Pessoa C, de Moraes M, Silveira E, et al. In vitro and in vivo antitumor effect of 5-FU combined with piplartine and piperine. J Appl Toxicol. 2008;28:156-63 pubmed..These findings indicate that piplartine may enhance the therapeutic effectiveness of chemotherapeutic drugs, and moreover, this combination could improve immunocompetence hampered by 5-FU. ..
- Daher E, Silva G, Barros F, Takeda C, Mota R, Ferreira M, et al. Clinical and laboratory features of disseminated histoplasmosis in HIV patients from Brazil. Trop Med Int Health. 2007;12:1108-15 pubmed..3; P = 0.02) and weight loss (OR 1.8; 95% CI 1.0-3.1; P = 0.03). Our results suggest that DH is a severe opportunistic disease with high mortality rate, which should be promptly recognized in order to provide early specific treatment. ..
- Moura F, Mesquita J, Portes S, Ramos E, Siqueira M. Antigenic and genomic characterization of adenovirus associated to respiratory infections in children living in Northeast Brazil. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2007;102:937-41 pubmed..This is the first study of molecular epidemiology of adenovirus associated to acute respiratory infections in children living in Northeast Brazil, and contributes to a better understanding of adenovirus infections in the country. ..
- Viana C, Rocha T, Cavalcante F, Valença J, Coelho G, Garcia J. Liver transplantation for acute liver failure: a 5 years experience. Arq Gastroenterol. 2008;45:192-4 pubmed..Liver transplantation is potentially the only curative modality and has markedly improved the prognosis of those patients. ..
- Holanda M, Fortaleza S, Alves de Almeida M, Winkeler G, Reis R, Felix J, et al. Continuous positive airway pressure effects on regional lung aeration in patients with COPD: a high-resolution CT scan study. Chest. 2010;138:305-14 pubmed publisher..Low pressure levels may cause regional lung deflation in some patients. High levels increase the emphysematous areas wherever they are located inside the lungs. ..
- Sousa A, Costa C, Queiroz H, Gonçalves P, Gonçalves H. Leprosy simulating lichenoid eruption: case report and literature review. An Bras Dermatol. 2010;85:224-6 pubmed..The present article describes a rare case of leprosy simulating lichenoid eruption and explores different aspects of the clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of this nosologic entity. ..
- da Silva V, Lopes M, de Araujo T, Beltrão B, Monteiro F, Cavalcante T, et al. Operational definitions of outcome indicators related to ineffective breathing patterns in children with congenital heart disease. Heart Lung. 2011;40:e70-7 pubmed publisher..This inconsistency was not evident in the group using operational definitions. Two indicators were significant in all statistical analyses: asymmetrical chest expansion and percussed sounds. ..
- Libório A, Mendoza T, Esmeraldo R, Oliveira M, Paes F, Silva Junior G, et al. Induction antibody therapy in renal transplantation using early steroid withdrawal: long-term results comparing anti-IL2 receptor and anti-thymocyte globulin. Int Immunopharmacol. 2011;11:1832-6 pubmed publisher..Thymoglobulin induction therapy is associated with fewer rejection episodes. Induction therapy with thymoglobulin is associated with higher patient and allograft survival when comparing with anti-IL2R. ..
- Sousa A, Frutuoso M, Moraes E, Pearson R, Pompeu M. High-dose oral fluconazole therapy effective for cutaneous leishmaniasis due to Leishmania (Vianna) braziliensis. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;53:693-5 pubmed publisher..We used escalating doses from 5 to 8 mg/kg per day. At a dose of 5 mg/kg per day, 75% patients were cured, and at 8 mg/kg per day, the cure rate was 100%. Fluconazole was well tolerated. ..
- Quetz J, Lima I, Havt A, Prata M, Cavalcante P, Medeiros P, et al. Campylobacter jejuni infection and virulence-associated genes in children with moderate to severe diarrhoea admitted to emergency rooms in northeastern Brazil. J Med Microbiol. 2012;61:507-13 pubmed publisher..Further efforts shall be directed towards elucidating whether these genetic factors or their expressed proteins play a role in Campylobacter pathogenesis. ..
- Jimenez P, Wilke D, Ferreira E, Takeara R, de Moraes M, da Silveira E, et al. Structure elucidation and anticancer activity of 7-oxostaurosporine derivatives from the Brazilian endemic tunicate Eudistoma vannamei. Mar Drugs. 2012;10:1092-102 pubmed publisher..The mixture of 1 and 2 displayed IC?? values in the nM range and was up to 14 times more cytotoxic than staurosporine across a panel of tumor cell lines, as evaluated using the MTT assay. ..
- Morano M, Araújo A, Nascimento F, da Silva G, Mesquita R, Pinto J, et al. Preoperative pulmonary rehabilitation versus chest physical therapy in patients undergoing lung cancer resection: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013;94:53-8 pubmed publisher..4±2.6d vs 4.5±2.9d, respectively; P=.03) compared with the CPT arm. These findings suggest that 4 weeks of PR before lung cancer resection improves preoperative functional capacity and decreases the postoperative respiratory morbidity. ..
- Sampaio H, Carioca A, Sabry M, Dos Santos P, Coelho M, Passamai M. [Health literacy in type 2 diabetics: associated factors and glycemic control]. Cien Saude Colet. 2015;20:865-74 pubmed publisher..The results point to the need to improve the numeracy in health of the patients to obtain enhanced glycemic control, mainly in those with more advanced age and less years of schooling. ..
- LeitÃ£o Junior A, Campos R, Cerqueira J, Fonteles M, Santos C, de Nucci G, et al. Relaxant effect of a metal-based drug in human corpora cavernosa and its mechanism of action. Int J Impot Res. 2016;28:20-4 pubmed publisher..FOR0811 completely relaxes HCC by a sGC-cGMP-dependent mechanism and can be a lead compound in the development of new stable NO donors. ..
- Silva A, Matos M, Ralph M, Silva D, de Alencar N, Ramos M, et al. Comparison of immunomodulatory properties of mannose-binding lectins from Canavalia brasiliensis and Cratylia argentea in a mice model of Salmonella infection. Int Immunopharmacol. 2016;31:233-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ConBr and CFL are prospective phytotherapeutics capable of modulate the cascade of pro-inflammatory plus regulatory cytokines and nitric oxide release derived from systemic infections. ..
- de Francesco Daher E, Oliveira Neto F, Ramirez S. Evaluation of hemostasis disorders and anticardiolipin antibody in patients with severe leptospirosis. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2002;44:85-90 pubmed..7 +/- 36.1 vs. 6.5 +/- 2.5 GPL U/ml), respectively. Vasculitis, thrombocytopenia and uremia should be considered important factors for the pathogenesis of hemorrhagic disturbances and the main cause of death in severe leptospirosis. ..
- Pereira M, Benevides N, Melo M, Valente A, Melo F, Mourao P. Structure and anticoagulant activity of a sulfated galactan from the red alga, Gelidium crinale. Is there a specific structural requirement for the anticoagulant action?. Carbohydr Res. 2005;340:2015-23 pubmed